PDA

View Full Version : What was the most recent movie I watched?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I probably said too much. :thumbdown

CrackerJack
08-23-2009, 12:54 AM
District 9 - Thumbs up

MWM
08-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Saw (500) Days of Summer with my wife tonight. Loved the movie. The dialogue was very real to me and not your typical googly eyed love cliches you see in most Hollywood films of the genre.

Am I the only one who thought Summer was a cruel human being? I thought she was just flat out mean. I, too, had a Summer in my youth and was scarred for a while because of it.

Dom Heffner
08-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Watchmen- the opeing half hour is among the best movies I have ever seen, hands down. This is why you watch movies for stuff like this.

And then it..well, dies, with some glorious moments sprinkled about.

Jackie Earle Haley is amazing- I hate that word to descripe actor's performances, but I don't what else to call it. He won't be nominated for an Oscar, but much lesser performances have been. What a presence- the character isn't all that likeable, but you like him regardless. Brando did it with Kowalski, Hailey has it here with Rorsach (sp?).

In regards to the opening credits- it's gorgeous, inventive- just flat out wonderful. Get it in Blu-Ray and sit back and enjoy the best half hour of movie making to come along in a long while. It does in a half hour what most movies fail to do in their entirety. But again, nothing perfect ever lasts....

And I would second, third, fourth the NY Times' motion that "Hallelujah" should forever be banned from movies. In a movie filled with great music, it's the one misstep on that front.

After giving us that great opening and filling the first half of the movie with some perfect music, it sort of morphs into something else. Oh, the promise left on tha table here.

Also saw Bruno- people were either walking out or holding their ribs with laughter. I was in the latter group. I can see how you would be offended, grossed out and I can see how you'd think it was the funniest thing you've seen. For me, hilarious, would never recommend without knowing you personally.

Rewatched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Roxanne. Roxanne has not held up well, though Fred Willard makes me howl out loud everytime he opens his mouth. Comedy is delivery, and he almost always nails it. When he is talking about the "Nelson Promotional Cow," I laughed before the lines "Teach her to drink a beer" and "People like this sort of thing" were finished coming out of his mouth.

And Planes Trains and Automobiles is still hilarious after numerous viewings.

GIK
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Saw 'District 9' and had a really good time. One of the better movies I've seen this year, but I'm a sucker for sci-fi. :)

Johnny Footstool
08-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Dom, have you read the Watchmen graphic novel?

GIDP
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
I must have missed some parts of the story of District 9 because I left the movie asking a lot of questions about why certain things were happening.

Dom Heffner
08-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Dom, have you read the Watchmen graphic novel?

I haven't Johnny- can't make up my mind if i want to. I find comics really, really boring- the dialogue is usually awful- so, not sure how I would take to it.

But the movie had me thinking about it the whole next day. Loved the concept- just certain parts felt like "Dune." Not good.

pahster
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Saw (500) Days of Summer with my wife tonight. Loved the movie. The dialogue was very real to me and not your typical googly eyed love cliches you see in most Hollywood films of the genre.

Am I the only one who thought Summer was a cruel human being? I thought she was just flat out mean. I, too, had a Summer in my youth and was scarred for a while because of it.

I agree; I loved the movie. I thought Summer was a jerk, but not intentionally so.

I also saw District 9, which I also loved. I want to be Christopher Johnson when I grow up. I was impressed that they were able to make Christopher and his son so emotive. I must say I didn't think any of the human characters had any redeeming qualities (which I think was the point).

This has been a good summer for movies: Star Trek, District 9, Moon, and (500) Days of Summer. I'm really looking forward to 9. I'll probably go see Inglourious Basterds this weekend.

PedroBourbon
08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
District 9 was a "B-" for me. I think I went in expecting too much after a few good reviews. Mrs. Bourbon was also with me and short of Star Trek/Wars is not much of a sci fi fan so I was also worried she was really hating it.

Watchmen needed excess plot trimmed down to come in around 2 hours or so. It just goes on too long, too many needless flashbacks and drawn out scenes had me looking at my "watch" to hurry it up. Dr. Manhattan's character was really cool, a welcome departure from typical comic book heroes.

WMR
08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
What were you expecting from D9 that it didn't deliver?

One of the most amazing sci fi films of all time.

Johnny Footstool
08-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I haven't Johnny- can't make up my mind if i want to. I find comics really, really boring- the dialogue is usually awful- so, not sure how I would take to it.

But the movie had me thinking about it the whole next day. Loved the concept- just certain parts felt like "Dune." Not good.

"Watchmen" is different from other comics. You should give it a try -- check it out from the library. The dialogue and themes are thoughtful and challenging. The plot is slowly paced, almost exactly like the movie, but it feels more satisfying because you're not seeing everything unfold in 2 hours. The ending of the movie is actually better, however.

PedroBourbon
08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
What were you expecting from D9 that it didn't deliver?

One of the most amazing sci fi films of all time.

I guess I had a lot of trouble getting over a sci fi movie that essentially takes place entirely on present day earth. I know it had the spaceship and cool weaponry but that was very minor in the film. The aliens clearly had superior equipment/intelligence but were portrayed as very stupid. (Look what they traded for a can of meow mix!) It was a good movie don't get me wrong. Like I said, I just went into it with really high expectations (you probably heard Stern's review WMR?)

*BaseClogger*
08-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Training Day

A really captivating story that had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Denzel Washington was great, but I thought Ethan Hawke was even better.

8/10

PedroBourbon
08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Obsessed, or as I call it "Fatal Attraction Redux"

Awful, predictable. 2 hours of my life I will never get back.