PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Fitzpatrick: Is he a good backup quarterback?

camisadelgolf
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I think any team would be thrilled to have him as a #3 quarterback. And give credit to Mike Brown, who traded only a 7th round pick to acquire him. However, he's had a little time to get comfortable with the first team offense, and the Bengals are still going nowhere on offense. I was just wondering what you all think of him.

I think his accuracy is above average unless he's throwing for 20+ yards. He's completing a respectable 62.9% of his passes.

The swiss cheese offensive line isn't his fault, but he still tries to run with the ball a little too often. It's better than forcing throws that result in interceptions, though. He's made some mistakes that weren't taken advantage of, and overall, I'm not impressed with his decision making. In some respects, he's practically a rookie, so I expect a big improvement from him there at some point.

He averages 5.00 yards per attempt. That is, by far, the worst in the NFL. Once again, it's not completely his fault--without a run game, the field doesn't open up much--but I think his physical tools, which have always been the knock against him, really limit him. In fact, his longest completion is an embarrassing 26 yards. And only Jeff Garcia and Matt Hasselbeck have a lower touchdown percentage.

Anyway, I'd grade him at a C+. He hasn't hurt the team in many situations, but he hasn't helped too much either aside from an occasional scramble. He's kind of a typical care-taker quarterback, but I think he could be an average quarterback if the offensive line were more adjusted to his style of play.

cincrazy
11-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't think he's a "good" backup quarterback. But then again, he's not as bad as some backup's we've seen run out there. He falls somewhere in the middle in my mind. His biggest downfall, as you pointed out, is his absolute inability to get the ball down the field.

guttle11
11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Good backup? Sure. The purpose of a backup QB is to have a guy that can fill in for the starter and do an ok job. Fitz can do that. Any team that loses it's franchise starting QB is going to be in a world of hurt.

If the team could actually run the ball capably Fitz would be putting up better numbers, and the team likely would have at least 2 more wins (Cleveland and Philly). This team was going to hover around .500 at full health. Take away Carson and that lowered the win total by at least 3 right off the bat. Some other injuries and opponents flat out not respecting the Bengals passing game has made the Bengals a 2-3 win team tops.

Bip Roberts
11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
He is a good enough back up. Look around the league there isnt many good back ups.

Sea Ray
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think he's a good #2 QB and I'd like to see him not re-signed in the off season. All he can do is run the ball and throw short 5 yd passes. He lacks arm strength to run this vertical offense and he is horrible at hitting wide open WRs deep. The Press has given him a pass but he is part of the problem.

I'd like to see what Jordan Palmer can do. The way I see it, using Fitz is a no win situation. If he excells he prices himself out of what Mike Brown will pay and he'll walk. If he stinks then we don't want him back anyway. Let's hope Jordan gets a chance before this lost season is over.

remdog
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't think he's a good #2 QB and I'd like to see him not re-signed in the off season. All he can do is run the ball and throw short 5 yd passes. He lacks arm strength to run this vertical offense and he is horrible at hitting wide open WRs deep. The Press has given him a pass but he is part of the problem.

I'd like to see what Jordan Palmer can do. The way I see it, using Fitz is a no win situation. If he excells he prices himself out of what Mike Brown will pay and he'll walk. If he stinks then we don't want him back anyway. Let's hope Jordan gets a chance before this lost season is over.

I pretty much agree with that although I think Jordan Palmer would be in over his head right now. Additionally, I'm not sure how much arm strength he possesses.

Most #2 QBs are there to play an occassional down or series but only in the worst case scenario are they there to take the majority of the snaps in any given year.

Of course, the Bengals being the Bengals means that worst case scenarios happen to them with the regularity of winter following fall. :rolleyes:

Rem

Sea Ray
11-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I pretty much agree with that although I think Jordan Palmer would be in over his head right now. Additionally, I'm not sure how much arm strength he possesses.

Most #2 QBs are there to play an occassional down or series but only in the worst case scenario are they there to take the majority of the snaps in any given year.

Of course, the Bengals being the Bengals means that worst case scenarios happen to them with the regularity of winter following fall. :rolleyes:

Rem

Physically, Jordan is very much like his brother. I think we'll see plenty of arm strength. Whether he'd be in over his head, I don't know. I have to believe he could do what Fitz is doing...look for a receiver...if he's not open run it.

My point is this. This team is headed for a 1-3 win season. It makes little difference how many wins they accrue. If Fitzpatrick leaves after this year, what was the point in him starting all those games? How did that benefit the franchise? Let's give Jordan a chance to run this offense. If he learns something from it, great. It'll benefit the franchise in the long run. If he really isn't very good, let's find that out now.

The only reason I can see to keep playing Fitzpatrick is if they feel whoever is playing will get "killed" back there and why subject Jordan to that. Let the mobile guy dodge the hits and if he gets hurt, he's a FA anyway.

camisadelgolf
11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Based on the limited amount I've seen Jordan Palmer play, I believe he'd be an interception machine in the NFL. He's got the tools to be good, though. It's just a matter of decision making. Personally, I have higher hopes for Jeff Rowe (which isn't saying much), who is on the practice squad.

WVRed
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Right now, given the Bengals mangled O-Line, I would say Fitzpatrick is better suited for running this offense than Carson.

At least with Fitzpatrick you have a QB who can take off running once the pocket collapses. Palmer is going to take the sack every single time.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying, I think Palmer is a better QB than Fitzpatrick, just not suited to deal with what Fitzpatrick is dealing with.

Fitzpatrick reminds me of Jon Kitna with more mobility.

Playadlc
11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Right now, given the Bengals mangled O-Line, I would say Fitzpatrick is better suited for running this offense than Carson.

At least with Fitzpatrick you have a QB who can take off running once the pocket collapses. Palmer is going to take the sack every single time.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying, I think Palmer is a better QB than Fitzpatrick, just not suited to deal with what Fitzpatrick is dealing with.

No offense, but this is asinine. Fitzpatrick is averaging 3.9 yards per pass play, which is easily worst in the NFL. To put that number in perspective, the league average is 6.1. Since Fitzpatrick took over, the Bengals have the worst offense in the NFL and it's not even close.

Saying Fitzpatrick is better suited than Palmer for ANYTHING is ridiculous.

Yachtzee
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
No offense, but this is asinine. Fitzpatrick is averaging 3.9 yards per pass play, which is easily worst in the NFL. To put that number in perspective, the league average is 6.1. Since Fitzpatrick took over, the Bengals have the worst offense in the NFL and it's not even close.

Saying Fitzpatrick is better suited than Palmer for ANYTHING is ridiculous.

Fitzpatrick is better suited for Harvard than Carson Palmer, but that's about it.

Sea Ray
11-21-2008, 06:07 PM

I hear what you're saying but I think there's another difference. Kitna makes much quicker decisions in the pocket. Kitna is not a good starting QB but he's an above avg #2.

In my opinion, Fitzpatrick is a below avg #2 QB in this league and you can pretty well deduce what I think of him starting every week...:p:

remdog
11-21-2008, 11:13 PM
In my opinion, Fitzpatrick is a below avg #2 QB in this league and you can pretty well deduce what I think of him starting every week...:p:

But......you have to admit that he's doing his best to get the Bengals the #1 pick! ;)

Rem

camisadelgolf
11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
But......you have to admit that he's doing his best to get the Bengals the #1 pick! ;)

Rem

That's a good point. He's a true team player. :thumbup:

sonny
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I wonder how Casey Bramlet or Scott Wilhelm would do in this offense?

Yachtzee
11-23-2008, 03:25 AM
I wonder how Casey Bramlet or Scott Wilhelm would do in this offense?

Or Scott Mitchell or Erik Wilhelm. Bring me the head of Turk Schonert and a cup of hot fat.

sonny
11-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Or Scott Mitchell or Erik Wilhelm. Bring me the head of Turk Schonert and a cup of hot fat.

Erik Wilhelm, that's right.

How about Craig Krenzel?

Dom Heffner
11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I bought a bunch of pens with my company logo on them from none other than Todd Philcox a few months back.

Yes, that Todd Philcox.

TC81190
11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Start Jordan Palmer.

Tony Cloninger
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
When you have this bad of an OL....you really have to be a runner and not a passer...and RF is not that great of a runner and he is below avg in passing to begin with.

You need a better backup.....looks like it's time to draft one in the lower rounds and hope he develops (is that possible under the Bengals) beacuse of CP's future. He is either injury prone or about ready to bolt out of here when he has the chance.

Sea Ray
12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
When you have this bad of an OL....you really have to be a runner and not a passer...and RF is not that great of a runner and he is below avg in passing to begin with.

You need a better backup.....looks like it's time to draft one in the lower rounds and hope he develops (is that possible under the Bengals) beacuse of CP's future. He is either injury prone or about ready to bolt out of here when he has the chance.

We do need a better backup but how do you know Jordan is not that guy?

Redsfaithful
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
He is either injury prone or about ready to bolt out of here when he has the chance.

Carson Palmer is signed through 2014.

LawFive
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
What's Jeff Blake up to these days?

"5-10-1 with Blake!" has a nice ring to it.

Matt700wlw
12-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Ache and Blake.

He's old now.