PDA

View Full Version : Top Prospects For 2009

Krusty
11-18-2008, 05:49 AM
250+. Enjoy.

http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/1-10

mth123
11-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the link. Not a very credible list though.

camisadelgolf
11-18-2008, 07:25 AM
It's a terrible list, but thank you for the link. This probably belongs in the minor league forum, though. For those of you who don't want to browse through everything, I'll sum it up for you. They were obsessed with Dorn's and Alonso's names, they think Drew Stubbs will be hitting over 100 RBIs in the Major Leagues in either 2009 or 2010, and Matt Maloney is still with the Phillies.

And even though everyone believes the Reds have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball, only five Reds prospects (only four if you don't include Maloney) made the top-263. It seemed like the list was based solely on hype. I can't think of anyone else who would rank Dallas Buck so highly, but I'm a big fan of his, so the ranking doesn't bother me. Weirdly enough, though, there was no mention of Juan Duran, Yorman Rodriguez, Todd Frazier, Nefi Soto, Kyle Lotzkar, Devin Mesoraco, Daryl Thompson, Juan Francisco, Zach Stewart, Josh Roenicke, Zach Cozart, and other players in the system who are consistently ranked higher than a lot of the prospects scoutingbook.com listed.

Yonder Alonso
Born 4/8/1987 (21 years old)
1B, CIN

In addition to having the best name in the 2008 draft class, Yonder Alonso is also one of the strongest power hitters of his generation. He's no great shakes with the glove, though, which means he's probably locked at first base. Why the Reds chose him in the draft, with Joey Votto just settling in for the next decade, is anyone's guess, but if he lives up to his history, Alonso will force Votto into the outfield, or onto a different MLB roster, very very soon. He's one of 2009's hottest tickets.

Daniel Dorn
Born 7/20/1984 (24 years old)
OF, CIN

Ah, Dorn. Sometimes the gods of baseball just make the names too good to be true.

While he's presently buried deep in the Reds system under some monster mashers like Joey Votto and Jay Bruce, Cal State's Danny Dorn is a respectable offensive prospect in his own right. The left-hander with the sweet swing split time last season between high A and double A (Sarasota and Chattanooga), and ended up with an OPS of 1.089 with the Lookouts.

Unless a shakeup reduces the number of big bats in the Reds outfield, Dorn's looking at another year or two in the minors. A couple of strategic trades or injuries, though, and he'll rise to the top of the Reds prospect board very quickly.

Matt Maloney
Born 1/16/1984 (24 years old)
LHP, PHI

No information is available on this player at this time. Check back later for an updated report.

Drew Stubbs
Born 10/4/1984 (24 years old)
OF, CIN

One of the best young names in baseball, Mr. Stubbs is a potential five-tool player and one of many Cincy future-stars. It'll be awhile, but he should be delivering 100rbi seasons in GAB before the decade is over.

Dallas Buck
Born 11/11/1984 (24 years old)
RHP, CIN

A premium prospect in college, Buck's stock took a dive when it was discovered that he played through a partial ligament tear en route to Oregon State's College World Series championship in 2006. Of course, the same event proved that his heart was two sizes too large, and he's been a bit of an underdog darling ever since. Buck had TJ surgery to rebuild his elbow in 2007 and has been coming back since. When healthy, Dallas is a workhorse who throws a 92-94 mph fastball, a plus slider and a changeup that could develop into a premium MLB pitch. He'll idle under the radar until fully recovered from his operation, but after the usual 18 months pass, he should return to top prospect status. A definite 2009 sleeper.

OnBaseMachine
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
What an awful list.

max venable
11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
It'll be awhile, but he should be delivering 100rbi seasons in GAB before the decade is over.

What does that mean? The deacade is over after next season. :confused:

dougdirt
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I really don't know what to say. Its like information is a year or two old on some players or just really off on newly drafted players.

Mario-Rijo
11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
What does that mean? The deacade is over after next season. :confused:

Hey Max, haven't seen you around in awhile, welcome back. :)

max venable
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey Max, haven't seen you around in awhile, welcome back. :)

Thanks M-R! I've been lurking. Keeping up on RZ but blogging has taken a priority over writing posts here. But I've been around.

Mario-Rijo
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks M-R! I've been lurking. Keeping up on RZ but blogging has taken a priority over writing posts here. But I've been around.

Ah, I see. Reds Blogging?