PDA

View Full Version : BCS going to ESPN

Chip R
11-18-2008, 05:00 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bcs-tv&prov=ap&type=lgns

*BaseClogger*
11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Ugh, ESPN is taking over the world and it scares me...

Roy Tucker
11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm happy with ESPN doing them.

And I'm happy its moving away from Fox. They had no idea how to do college football.

paintmered
11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
So is this ESPN on ABC or ESPN on cable?

guttle11
11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
ESPN on cable, I believe.

That's the way sports, save the Super Bowl and March Madness, appear to be headed.

Reds Fanatic
11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
So is this ESPN on ABC or ESPN on cable?It is on ESPN on cable. The only BCS game not part of this deal is the Rose Bowl which does it own seperate contract.

Cyclone792
11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm happy with ESPN doing them.

And I'm happy its moving away from Fox. They had no idea how to do college football.

I'm with Roy. Fox Sports is just awful, IMO.

LoganBuck
11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
The Fox production of the last two BCS title games has been awful. The camera fixed on the band, the repetitive commercials, poor camera angles, and Thom Brennamen. Add it all up and it is painful.

KronoRed
11-18-2008, 09:40 PM
An untrained monkey and a parrot could have done a better job then FOX, glad to see ESPN get it.

sonny
11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
The Fox production of the last two BCS title games has been awful. The camera fixed on the band, the repetitive commercials, poor camera angles, and Thom Brennamen. Add it all up and it is painful.

Agree with you on everything but Thom. I like his approach to calling a football game.

But you are right IMO, on everything else FOX is turrabull.

redsmetz
11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
And yet, on cable, it means those of us without cable are SOL. Great way to build the base, but then again, I'm sure I'm in the minority at this point.

*BaseClogger*
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM
And yet, on cable, it means those of us without cable are SOL. Great way to build the base, but then again, I'm sure I'm in the minority at this point.

It could prolly get higher ratings on ESPN IMO...

WMR
11-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I don't think companies are that upset about missing out on the advertising dollars represented by the demographic that doesn't have basic cable. Overall, the buying power of that demographic is just not that strong.

Emin3mShady07
11-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Ugh, ESPN is taking over the world and it scares me...

ehh..ESPN is just the Wal-Mart of sports television if you ask me. The consumer usually benefits, but other shows like fox sports net and comcast sports net just lowly die out because they can't compete with the giant.

cumberlandreds
11-19-2008, 07:05 AM
An untrained monkey and a parrot could have done a better job then FOX, glad to see ESPN get it.

I totally agree.

redsfan30
11-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I wish the games were still on ABC, not ESPN on ABC.

Forget the BCS on ESPN, Fox or ESPN on ABC.

Bring back regular old ABC and I'd be happy.

HotCorner
11-19-2008, 11:51 AM
I believe the games will be on ABC because ESPN acts as the "sports department" since both are owned by Disney. Hence the ESPN on ABC.

cumberlandreds
11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I believe the games will be on ABC because ESPN acts as the "sports department" since both are owned by Disney. Hence the ESPN on ABC.

Below is within the article. Looks like a ESPN only telecast. They won't be farming it out to ABC.

ESPN runs ABC Sports, but chose to slate the games for the cable channel, not the over-the-air network. Owning a valuable property like the BCS could help ESPN when it negotiates future subscription fees.

HotCorner
11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Below is within the article. Looks like a ESPN only telecast. They won't be farming it out to ABC.

ESPN runs ABC Sports, but chose to slate the games for the cable channel, not the over-the-air network. Owning a valuable property like the BCS could help ESPN when it negotiates future subscription fees.

Yep. It helps to read the article first. :D