PDA

View Full Version : UC Basketball

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Cyclone792
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
UC's RPI is now 50 once again, and their SOS is now 22. Both Palm and Lunardi still have UC on the outside of the NCAA tourney despite last night's victory over West Virginia, and that's a little disappointing.

I thought UC would still have a decent shot at the tourney even if they would lose at Syracuse, but now it's looking more and more like UC's going to have to win in Syracuse. If they lose to the Orange, they might be stuck in a situation where they've got to make a run to the Big East semis, and that's a very tough proposition.

BearcatShane
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
A big part of weather UC gets in or not depends on what other teams do, if some teams fall off the bubble here soon, we can get in with a loss at Syracuse. Other teams are hoping we fall off the bubble soon. UC needs all the favorites in their conference tourneys to win it, Memphis, Xavier, Gonzaga.. ETC. UC can get in with a loss at Cuse but they would then need to win a game, maybe two games in the Big East Tournament.
My best advise to any UC fan, including myself is to not look at all these Bracketology things. Just watch your favorite team play basketball and we'll see exactly where we stand on Selection Sunday. I do like our chances in the Carrier Dome. But at worst, UC plays in the NIT, thats far from a failure from this bunch, I'll have fun going to the Shoe and watching them play some different teams. I obviously want the NCAA's though.

NorrisHopper30
02-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Ok this is going to be off-topic, but I was listening to Pdoc reminisce about former UC players on the radio last night and I began to wonder if James White was still playing ball. I always thought he might have been able to make it in the NBA as a role player who could guard 3's, anyhow just curious if anybody knows if he is still playing

Yeah, he won the D-League Dunk Competition a few weeks back. Check out his dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yHQ15TdHU

I think he was really flying.

Cyclone792
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, he won the D-League Dunk Competition a few weeks back. Check out his dunk:

I'll never forget at Midnight Madness about five years ago or so when White took off from just inside the foul line and dunked ...

... he only went between the legs with the ball while in the air.

Matt700wlw
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Last night was about as perfect of a night that could have transpired.

The fans, the players, and the University, deserve all the credit.

Some needed closure. If last night didn't do it, nothing will.

Cyclone792
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
So ... another lil bit of a big game today ...

This could very well be the game that determines UC's prospects of reaching the NCAA tourney. With a UC win, it's going to be impossible to keep them out if they can then follow that up with taking out South Florida and Seton Hall. If UC can't pull through today, then they'll have some work to do in the Big East tourney.

I'm wary of today's game since it's in the Carrier Dome, but if UC can hit some shots and crash the boards effectively, then they'll give themselves a nice chance to pull out a win. Mike Williams being out is certainly going to hurt though.

reds1869
03-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm a Xavier fan but I'm pulling for the Cats. Despite all of the bickering between the two factions, this city will be at its basketball best when we have two elite programs. The Crosstown Shootout will be great if the only thing to lose is personal pride rather than national reputation!

NatiRedGals
03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
................. all i have to say..............

Matt700wlw
03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Good ol' stinkfest....the bubble may have burst.

Redlegs23
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
NIT here we come. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. We played a meaningful game in March. We've showed significant improvement all three years that Cronin has been here, and we've had a pretty successful season with a team made up of freshman and sophomores, along with one junior and one senior.

BearcatShane
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, if they can manage to beat USF and Seton Hall next week they will go into the Big East Tournament at 20-11. If they don't get that first round bye they will play Depaul in round 1 and that would put them at 21-11, if they can win a game vs a decent team in round 2, they might be able to sneak in the NCAA's. But if not, the NIT is not horrible, maybe they make a run and gain some great experience. 20 wins would be a heck of an acomplishment in my opinion.

BearcatShane
03-02-2009, 12:23 AM
And I was just thinking, UC vs Kentucky in the NIT would be fun. The NIT should have an excellent field this year with possibly UC, UK if they stumble in Gainesville and fail to have a deep SEC tourney run, Michigan, Georgetown, possibly Notre Dame, Baylor, Va Tech or Maryland. Obviously I will be dissapointed in not making the NCAA's, but there would be some intriguing matchups in the NIT if UC could advance a couple rounds.

GoReds33
03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
And I was just thinking, UC vs Kentucky in the NIT would be fun. The NIT should have an excellent field this year with possibly UC, UK if they stumble in Gainesville and fail to have a deep SEC tourney run, Michigan, Georgetown, possibly Notre Dame, Baylor, Va Tech or Maryland. Obviously I will be dissapointed in not making the NCAA's, but there would be some intriguing matchups in the NIT if UC could advance a couple rounds.
The NCAA is so deep in UK's pockets, there is no way UK is out of the tourney, barring the worst collapse ever.

To keep with the theme of the thread, UC is winning at halfting against USF. I hate our offense against the zone. We really look clueless. Our best offense comes when we are quick passing, but we have a couple bad passers in the lineup.

Cyclone792
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I've been a pretty big Mick Cronin supporter, but this is the type of the game where I have to put most of the blame on his shoulders.

When your team offense consists of passing the ball around the three point line until someone decides to throw up one of 31 three point attempts, you're not going to win many games. To me, that's on Cronin. This team just looked totally unprepared tonight and flat out didn't deserve to win. If there was an offensive gameplan, I didn't see it.

They flat out don't deserve the NCAA tournament, and now they're not going to get in unless they win the Big East tourney.

Boss-Hog
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
They flat out don't deserve the NCAA tournament, and now they're not going to get in unless they win the Big East tourney.

I couldn't agree with you more - with so much to play for, that was a very embarrassing loss (as was Syracuse, too).

GoReds33
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been a pretty big Mick Cronin supporter, but this is the type of the game where I have to put most of the blame on his shoulders.

When your team offense consists of passing the ball around the three point line until someone decides to throw up one of 31 three point attempts, you're not going to win many games. To me, that's on Cronin. This team just looked totally unprepared tonight and flat out didn't deserve to win. If there was an offensive gameplan, I didn't see it.

You basically summed up my feelings, as well. Cronin seemed to have no plan going into the game. I liked that toward the end they decided to pass it in to Gates a few times. There were no cuts, no screens off the ball, nothing. It was really a depressing game to watch. Maybe next year.

bucksfan2
03-03-2009, 10:22 PM

I put the loss squarly on the shoulders of Cronin. For the first 8 minutes of the second half UC sat in a zone and allowed South Florida to shot over it. It was a huge mistake and they took a 4-6 point working margine and turned it into a 2-4 point deficite.

I know it was a tough stretch for the UC team but Cronin's job is supposed to get his team up. He didn't use his bench or starters correct. He failed his team for that game. Unfortunatly he will probably kick the team out of the locker room but he needs to be kicked out of his office for a few games.

Matt700wlw
03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
So much for bouncing back and keeping their faint hopes at a bid in the dance alive....barring an absolute, improbable run in the Big East tournament, it's NIT time.....

Reds4Life
03-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Another game with the disappearing act of Deonta Vaughn. Nearly every big game where the team needs him step up, he vanishes into thin air. The team has no real leadership on the floor, which is why they go brain dead out there for long periods of time.

Hopefully Cash Wright can correct that next season, if not, then I have serious reservations about the future of this program.

WVRedsFan
03-06-2009, 02:49 AM
I don't even know why I'm posting in this board--I was just curious. That said, Bobby Huggins is one of the three or four best coaches in America. If there was any justice, and had not home called him back, he'd still be at UC and in the tournament every year. He came to WVU with a team that can be best described as a junkball team. They had success, but not in the conference. They couldn't rebound and they couldn't play defense. That great man who works with fakes and mirrors, John Beilein, recruited shooters with the philosophy that if you shoot enough 3-pointers you win. It failed him and will time and time again. Huggs came in and took these players and made them into a basketball team. Few individuals could do that.

Yes, he is flawed and yes, he is bland, but the "celebration" afftected him and the team. The talented youngsters failed him, but will not in the future. UC's future is bright, but do not discount the the brilliance of my friend, Huggs. He took a team who shouldn't have won 15 games to the Sweet 16 last year and will be a good seen in the tournament this year with a lesser team.

I wish UC well and wish UC fans the best.

Redlegs23
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't even know why I'm posting in this board--I was just curious. That said, Bobby Huggins is one of the three or four best coaches in America. If there was any justice, and had not home called him back, he'd still be at UC and in the tournament every year. He came to WVU with a team that can be best described as a junkball team. They had success, but not in the conference. They couldn't rebound and they couldn't play defense. That great man who works with fakes and mirrors, John Beilein, recruited shooters with the philosophy that if you shoot enough 3-pointers you win. It failed him and will time and time again. Huggs came in and took these players and made them into a basketball team. Few individuals could do that.

Yes, he is flawed and yes, he is bland, but the "celebration" afftected him and the team. The talented youngsters failed him, but will not in the future. UC's future is bright, but do not discount the the brilliance of my friend, Huggs. He took a team who shouldn't have won 15 games to the Sweet 16 last year and will be a good seen in the tournament this year with a lesser team.

I wish UC well and wish UC fans the best.

Nice post. I am still a Huggs fan, and think he is a great coach. At UC he always got a ton out of his players, and even though he may have some personal issues, the guy is one heck of a good ball coach.

paintmered
03-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Nice post. I am still a Huggs fan, and think he is a great coach. At UC he always got a ton out of his players, and even though he may have some personal issues, the guy is one heck of a good ball coach.

Agreed. Although it did seem like he started loosing his "magic touch" the last couple of years at UC. For a while, nobody got more out of less than Huggs.

He's going to have some more serious health issues if he doesn't start dropping weight. He's really ballooned the last 2-3 years and looks terrible.

Matt700wlw
03-07-2009, 03:54 PM
What a craptastic way to end the season.

They couldn't handle the pressure of being a bubble team.

Seton Hall 67 UC 63

Reds4Life
03-07-2009, 05:21 PM
What a craptastic way to end the season.

They couldn't handle the pressure of being a bubble team.

Seton Hall 67 UC 63

Been this way for the last few seasons, the wheels come off at the end.

I wouldn't be suprised if they get knocked out in the 1st round of the Big East tourny.

Sea Ray
03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Been this way for the last few seasons, the wheels come off at the end.

I wouldn't be suprised if they get knocked out in the 1st round of the Big East tourny.

If they lose to DePaul then IMO they've lost whatever they gained by winning 18 games this year. That unacceptable.

Does every team make the Big East Tourney these days? I thought a few didn't but maybe they changed that.

Redlegs23
03-08-2009, 01:26 PM
If they lose to DePaul then IMO they've lost whatever they gained by winning 18 games this year. That unacceptable.

Does every team make the Big East Tourney these days? I thought a few didn't but maybe they changed that.

Every team makes the tournament starting this year.

Redlegs23
03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Dan Hoard's column puts a little perspective on the season.

Heard it From Hoard: Column 79

What the heck happened?

A week-and-a-half ago after the West Virginia win, the Bearcats were a legit NCAA bubble team and seemed destined to finish no worse than 10-8 in the Big East. It was probably the highlight of the Mick Cronin era so far.

Instead, the regular season ended with the Bengals-esque thud - three straight losses, including two to teams below them in the standings, and for the 2nd straight year the 'Cats wound up 8-10 in league play.

I read enough of the message boards and receive enough e-mail from disgruntled fans (usually in ALL CAPS with lots of exclamation points!!!) to know that many of you are ticked off. Shoot, UC beat Louisville, Pitt, Villanova, Syracuse, and West Virginia last year - where's the improvement?

Time for a reality check.

Cincinnati is 18-13 despite not having a true point guard. The Bearcats were picked to finish 11th by the coaches in the Big East preseason poll and wound up 9th. Do you know how many teams finished more than two spots ahead of where they were picked?

Zero.

Don't get me wrong - I was bitterly disappointed by the way the regular season ended, but I don't share the doom-and-gloom mentality and I remain firmly in Mick Cronin's corner. As much as we all want UC's rebuilding phase to be finished yesterday, progress in the Big East is measured in inches not miles. Think about it - in Cincinnati's four years in the league has any program taken a quantum leap forward?

I've said all season that next year will be the Bearcats opportunity to climb into the league's upper echelon and return to the NCAA tournament, and I continue to believe that will happen. I've seen Cashmere Wright, Ibrahima Thomas, and Sean Kilpatrick play�trust me, they'll make a difference.

Of course, this year isn't finished and if UC takes care of business against DePaul on Tuesday, I'm guessing the 'Cats would at least be assured of a trip to the NIT.

Sure, it's not the tournament we were hoping for, but I remember Cincinnati's NIT run being pretty exciting in Andy Kennedy's year as head coach. Furthermore, I love Andy and think he's an outstanding coach, but why does he get abundant credit for taking a team with an NBA draft pick (James White), a first-team Big East all-star (Eric Hicks), and a point guard who's currently 3rd in the SEC in scoring (Devan Downey) to the NIT, while Mick is taking heat for doing the same thing?

Here's what I want to see in the next two weeks: at least one win the Big East tournament and at least one win in the NIT. That would mean a 20-win season and a better postseason showing than last year. Anything better than that would be gravy.

To me, that's a pretty good year. And I'm not going to let a lousy week ruin it.

I'd love to hear from you. The address is dhoard@pawsox.com.

Sea Ray
03-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Every team makes the tournament starting this year.

I think every team should play in the tourney so I'm glad they figured out how to make that happen. I'm also glad you told me this is the first year for it so I don't feel so stupid...:thumbup:

LoganBuck
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Have these clowns played their way out of the NCAA and the NIT tourneys?

Disgusting. They quit. Plain and simple they quit.

joshnky
03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Have these clowns played their way out of the NCAA and the NIT tourneys?

Disgusting. They quit. Plain and simple they quit.

How many teams does the NIT take? They have to be on the bubble for the NIT with their play of late. Losing to DePaul is inexcusable (as was losing to Seton Hall and South Florida).

guttle11
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
How many teams does the NIT take? They have to be on the bubble for the NIT with their play of late. Losing to DePaul is inexcusable (as was losing to Seton Hall and South Florida).

NIT takes 32, but some of those are automatic berths for teams that won their conference regular season, but lost in their tourney. The last couple years there have been roughly 24-25 open NIT spots.

Matt700wlw
03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
CBI bound baby! :bang:

paintmered
03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
http://kevinchiu.org/emote/facepalm.jpg

Words fail me.

Roy Tucker
03-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Man, that season ended with a dull thud.

2/3 of the way through the season, I thought things looked promising.

Cyclone792
03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
This is a team that was a legit NCAA tournament bubble team two weeks ago, and they proceed to drop three straight games to teams with RPIs of 183, 99 and 208, teams that went 11-43 in Big East regular season play.

Just awful.

Reds4Life
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Man, that season ended with a dull thud.

2/3 of the way through the season, I thought things looked promising.

It's been the hallmark of Cronin's coaching the last few seasons, the exact same thing happened last year.

This team had the ability to be an NCAA team this year, but quit down the strech. They play with zero effort, intensity or desire. That is a coaching problem. I'm not saying I'd fire Cronin right now, but his seat should be starting to get a little warmer. If they miss the tournament again next year.............

Cyclone792
03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
It's been the hallmark of Cronin's coaching the last few seasons, the exact same thing happened last year.

This team had the ability to be an NCAA team this year, but quit down the strech. They play with zero effort, intensity or desire. That is a coaching problem. I'm not saying I'd fire Cronin right now, but his seat should be starting to get a little warmer. If they miss the tournament again next year.............

Yea I'm starting to feel the same way you are.

Next year is going to be the key, especially if Mike Williams is able to return. On paper, next year's team should be a tournament team. If they fail to make the tournament and/or if they crash and burn at the end of the season again, then people will have to take a serious look at Cronin.

bucksfan2
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Yea I'm starting to feel the same way you are.

Next year is going to be the key, especially if Mike Williams is able to return. On paper, next year's team should be a tournament team. If they fail to make the tournament and/or if they crash and burn at the end of the season again, then people will have to take a serious look at Cronin.

One of the biggest problems with Cronin is his inability to develop talent. His highest two recruits from his first real class were bench warmers for this entire year. McClain is a 7 foot big east body that Cronin kept on the end of the bench. Wilks has the potential to become an explosive player yet Cronin kept him in check for most of the season.

Roy Tucker
03-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah, I hate to say it since I hate the "Fire Coach xxx" firestorms, but what went wrong with this team looks like a coaching problem. After the talent is there, the coach has to impose his will upon the team and make them do what he wants. I didn't see that.

UC isn't the most talented team, but they aren't bad. But when they were a bubble team and needed to rev it up a notch, they fell completely flat. Lousy effort, lost on defense, no court sense, and no semblence of an offense. Nobody stepped up (and that means you Vaughn). An all-around stinkeroo of a performance. I think next year is a make-or-break season for Cronin.

Boss-Hog
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I hate to say it since I hate the "Fire Coach xxx" firestorms, but what went wrong with this team looks like a coaching problem. After the talent is there, the coach has to impose his will upon the team and make them do what he wants. I didn't see that.

UC isn't the most talented team, but they aren't bad. But when they were a bubble team and needed to rev it up a notch, they fell completely flat. Lousy effort, lost on defense, no court sense, and no semblence of an offense. Nobody stepped up (and that means you Vaughn). An all-around stinkeroo of a performance. I think next year is a make-or-break season for Cronin.
Very well said - that's how I feel, too. I'm willing to cut Mick a ton of slack, given the situation he inherited, but the finishes last season and this season are completley inexcusable for the reasons you mentioned.

bucksfan2
03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Vaughn is the best player UC has and he does deserve some blame. But at the same time he is being asked to do quite a lot. He was asked to get the offense started. Then he was asked to become the scorer. There were many times that he had openings but didn't take shots either because he doesn't like to shoot off the dribble or he was trying to start the offense. Mick took his best player and placed him in a very difficult role.

Cyclone792
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
UC may have gotten their revenge on Providence in a rather weird way.

If UC would have done their job by beating South Florida, Seton Hall and DePaul, they probably would have had an RPI around 45-50 going into a game against the Friars ... which would have given Providence an opportunity to pick up a quality win before facing Louisville.

But UC fell apart and lost to DePaul, which means Providence didn't have a chance to pick up a quality win before Louisville. Now the Friars may be faced with the prospect of beating Louisville to get in the tourney, because right now I'm thinking the Friars are on the outside looking in with the NCAA tourney if the Cardinals win tomorrow.

BRM
03-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Now the Friars may be faced with the prospect of beating Louisville to get in the tourney, because right now I'm thinking the Friars are on the outside looking in with the NCAA tourney if the Cardinals win tomorrow.

I think I agree with you. They most likely need to beat U of L tomorrow to get in.

Roy Tucker
03-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Vaughn is the best player UC has and he does deserve some blame. But at the same time he is being asked to do quite a lot. He was asked to get the offense started. Then he was asked to become the scorer. There were many times that he had openings but didn't take shots either because he doesn't like to shoot off the dribble or he was trying to start the offense. Mick took his best player and placed him in a very difficult role.

All very true. He's being asked to do a lot with PG Wright being out.

But at some point, when you are the best player on the team and your team is going south, the object is to win the darn game. And its time for him to say "OK boys, climb on my back" and do whatever it takes to win the game.

I think Vaughn is a good team citizen and a good kid. Probably (like you said) he just got screwed up being in a difficult role and this is just my exasperation speaking with how a pretty good Bearcat team went down the tubes.

bucksfan2
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
All very true. He's being asked to do a lot with PG Wright being out.

But at some point, when you are the best player on the team and your team is going south, the object is to win the darn game. And its time for him to say "OK boys, climb on my back" and do whatever it takes to win the game.

I think Vaughn is a good team citizen and a good kid. Probably (like you said) he just got screwed up being in a difficult role and this is just my exasperation speaking with how a pretty good Bearcat team went down the tubes.

I like Vaughn. He is a very good basketball player. I have nothing against him but he isn't a leader. Just like Phillips says he wants to be a leader but really isn't. The problem arises when a true leader hasn't emerged the rest of the team will look to the best player.

I think Mick put Vaughn in a position to fail by his own miscalculation. Not having another player who can dribble up the court really hurt UC. Vaughn isn't the best ball handler and isn't the best passer. He just isn't cut out to be a PG. If you ask a 6"2' guard to defend a back to the basket power forward you are looking at failure. IMO thats what happened to Vaughn at PG. He was asked to bring the ball up the court and get the offense started. At the same time he was asked to score 20 points a game.

Cronin told Vaughn score, but get the ball to the post first. Then work you tail off to get an open shot. There were times during the end of the year that Vaughn looked gun shy when open shots came available early in the shot clock.

Z-Fly
03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
When does UC find out if they make the NIT or CBI?

BearcatShane
03-15-2009, 09:25 PM
NIT Selection show on ESPNU at 9. UC has stated they will not accept a CBI bid.

LawFive
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
No NIT. Season over (thankfully??!!)

paintmered
03-15-2009, 11:18 PM
UC got what it deserved considering their play in March. Next year, UC will have top-25 caliber talent and experience on the floor. There's no more excuses.

DoogMinAmo
03-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Rumor has it that some schollies are going to get pulled/ transfers will happen in the wake of the Alvin Mitchell DNP against Depaul. I hope that those on both sides of the Mick love/hate fence don't see this as an excuse to continue down their respective paths. I think what both sides need most of all is closure, and Mick's success would seem to be the ideal route for that.

With Alex Boone of Minnesota as a precedent, Mike Williams should get his sixth year, if he wants it. Kilpatrick, an unannounced PG prospect, Ibrahim Thomas, and another possible wildard are all expected/ rumored to come in next year. More hope, or more excuses? Without the end of season meltdown, this could have been a tournament team. Next year, there is an even greater possibility.

Bad apples must be removed, and true Big East talent must continue to be infused.

paintmered
03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Rumor has it that some schollies are going to get pulled/ transfers will happen in the wake of the Alvin Mitchell DNP against Depaul. I hope that those on both sides of the Mick love/hate fence don't see this as an excuse to continue down their respective paths. I think what both sides need most of all is closure, and Mick's success would seem to be the ideal route for that.

With Alex Boone of Minnesota as a precedent, Mike Williams should get his sixth year, if he wants it. Kilpatrick, an unannounced PG prospect, Ibrahim Thomas, and another possible wildard are all expected/ rumored to come in next year. More hope, or more excuses? Without the end of season meltdown, this could have been a tournament team. Next year, there is an even greater possibility.

Bad apples must be removed, and true Big East talent must continue to be infused.

At this point, I think it will be a surprise if Alvin Mitchell is still a Bearcat in a few weeks. There's no more bridges remaining for him to burn. So for him to come in as a the prized prospect that he was to his current standing really means he never showed the attitude and personal growth required to stay with the team. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out.

Kenny Belton is likely another player to shed his Bearcats jersey in the coming weeks albeit for different reasons. Injury has ended his basketball career.

So at a minimum, it looks like UC will free up two scholarships and I think both are the correct moves. As far as the new players being brought in, there's nothing earth shattering, but each player will improve the team. Kilpatrick will provide some bench scoring, Thomas will solidify the 4 and will be a starter if Williams doesn't get another year. A second point guard will add a second point guard, something this team desperately needs. One thing that UC needs to jump to the next level is for one of their swingmen to become a scoring option at the 3.

So next season actually looks pretty promising on paper.

My 2009 two-deep
PG: Wright/PG to be named later
SG: Vaughn/Dixon
SF: Bishop/Davis
PF: Williams/Thomas
PF: Gates/Toyloy

The rest: Kilpatrick, Wilks, McClain. That's 13 assuming Williams gets his 6th year.

bucksfan2
03-16-2009, 09:26 AM

My 2009 two-deep

The rest: Kilpatrick, Wilks, McClain. That's 13 assuming Williams gets his 6th year.

Here is the problem I see with the team next year. Who has improved under Cronin? Vaughn is the only guy has shown a marked improvement from one year to the next and his season was unspectacular last year. Gates has potential but seems to want to work when he wants to work. You have a team full of talent but IMO has serious questions as to whether they will put it all together under Cronin. The shame of the matter is Wilks and McClain are the two most talented players on the team but ride the bench.

IMO unless Cronin finds some real ability to upcoach his player UC may have another unfortunate season.

acredsfan
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
After reflecting on the end of the season, I think the thing that stands out to me is the youth on the team. Yeah, they have talent, but they don't have experience. When they lost Williams, who was much more of a leader than people realize, they lost their fire. Even when he came back, he just wasn't the same. You can pile on coaching but the fact is they are young. The young players didn't know how to handle the pressure which was compounded by the veteran players struggling.

Next year is the year things have to change. I'm as big of a UC fan as there is, but I realize how much rebuilding was required and honestly had written off this year before it began anyway. They didn't have experienced depth, and lost players before the year started that were expected to be key contributers. Big East coaches didn't even expect them to finish 9th. I just can't get too worked up about the season as a whole, sure they fell flat, but they overachieved for a majority of the season. Some of these kids were playing high school basketball last year, the college season is a grind.

nmculbreth
03-16-2009, 11:52 PM

My 2009 two-deep

This looks right for the most part but I think we're going to see a lot of Wilks in the SF position next year. With the added depth at PG I expect to see a more up tempo style of play and I think that sort of system will be able to better utilize Wilks' freakish athletic ability. I think his length is going to be very valuable in press situations and his athletic ability should allow him to excel in transition offense. Not only that but he'll also have another year of strength training under his belt.

In any event I'm looking forward to seeing what this team can do with a legitimate PG or two on the roster.

GoReds33
03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I just heard that Mick said there will be a suprise or two coming on April 15th, which is signing day. He wasn't specific, but it's getting me a little giddy.

Matt700wlw
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
I just heard that Mick said there will be a suprise or two coming on April 15th, which is signing day. He wasn't specific, but it's getting me a little giddy.

I hope Mick has something up his sleeve...the honeymoon is over :)

Reds4Life
03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Was announced today that UC will not seek a 6th year for Mike Williams, and Alvin Mitchell was dismissed from the team.

paintmered
03-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Was announced today that UC will not seek a 6th year for Mike Williams, and Alvin Mitchell was dismissed from the team.

It sounds like Williams wanted to maximize his chances to play in Europe and make some money. I can't say I blame him.

GoReds33
03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Don't shoot the messenger here, but I have heard that Reik is back in play possibly. Also, there is a 6' 10" center also at IGM in Florida that we are getting in late on. He has a lot of interest in Xavier, so that would be a great steal.

Redlegs23
03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Don't shoot the messenger here, but I have heard that Reik is back in play possibly. Also, there is a 6' 10" center also at IGM in Florida that we are getting in late on. He has a lot of interest in Xavier, so that would be a great steal.

I did hear Cronin on 1530 the other day say that he just got back from a recruiting trip to Florida. I think Reik is in Florida, as well as this new guy.

And rest assured that Cronin will bring in a point guard, no way he gets caught without a backup PG again this year.

NorrisHopper30
03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Some HUGE recruiting news will hit the public on April 15th, get excited Bearcats fans!!

GoReds33
03-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Some HUGE recruiting news will hit the public on April 15th, get excited Bearcats fans!!I just found out that John Reik is back in play. This is coming from a great source.

NatiRedGals
03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Cronin's comments on Mitchell and Williams
Posted by BKoch at 3/27/2009 7:26 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

On Mitchell: “Alvin made progress. He’s a good kid. It’s the hardest part about coaching when you have personal feelings for somebody the way I do for Alvin. That made this extremely hard, but at the same time I’ve go to do what’s best for our program. We have rules. This is a point where basically Alvin needs a change. I’m sure he’ll get another opportunity. Hopefully it’ll work out for him and he’ll be better for this experience. I have to do what’s best for our program. At some point, somebody becomes too much of a distraction and you have to make a change.”

On Williams: “He’s got a chance to explore his options to make money. Mike’s got a family. If we’re 99 percent sure he’s not going to win an appeal there’s no point dragging Mike’s life out. The basis for Mike’s appeal would have been he would have had to have extenuating circumstances for why he left Texas. He would have gotten the medical year. After talking to (Texas officials), our people were very confident that Mike was not going to be able to do it.”

With Williams and Mitchell no longer in the picture, UC is two scholarships below the limit of 13 for next year.

“We’ve been recruiting a lot of players at different positions,” Cronin said. “We’re really looking forward to the April signing period. We’re getting ready to bring guys in for visits in April.”

dsmith421
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM

Kyryl Natyazhko. Supposed to be one of the top uncommitted big men in his class, but prefers to play PF rather than C. His game sounds remarkably similar to Josh Duncan's, as he is a dependable face-up shooter but also effective around the goal. As an X fan I've followed his recruiting for a while.

I do know that he's taken visits to X, Ohio, Pitt, and Arizona State, with a trip to Miami of Florida left. If Cronin wants to nab him he may have to do so without the benefit of an official visit.

As far as I know he's Xavier's only remaining target, as Miller will bank the scholarship and go hard after Adreian Payne if he doesn't commit.

Reds4Life
03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Kyryl Natyazhko. Supposed to be one of the top uncommitted big men in his class, but prefers to play PF rather than C. His game sounds remarkably similar to Josh Duncan's, as he is a dependable face-up shooter but also effective around the goal. As an X fan I've followed his recruiting for a while.

I do know that he's taken visits to X, Ohio, Pitt, and Arizona State, with a trip to Miami of Florida left. If Cronin wants to nab him he may have to do so without the benefit of an official visit.

As far as I know he's Xavier's only remaining target, as Miller will bank the scholarship and go hard after Adreian Payne if he doesn't commit.

Payne is a hard Ohio State lean, it will take a miracle to get him away from O$U.

DoogMinAmo
03-31-2009, 02:34 AM
Darius Smith, one of the top PG recruits left, and said to be the front runner, just committed to UConn. It may end up being a bigger surprise than even Mick thought.

GoReds33
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, today is signing day. The Sporting News is reporting that Reik will sign with UC today. I have not seen anything else on the recruiting front.

Cyclone792
04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd love to get a competent backup point guard as an insurance policy for King Cash again this year (and also as a guy to give him an occasional break). It doesn't need to be a world beater, just somebody capable of bringing the ball up the court and getting the offensive sets running ... a guy that would allow Vaughn to head back to the two guard full-time where he's much more effective, even when King Cash gets a breather.

paintmered
04-15-2009, 11:50 PM
I'd love to get a competent backup point guard as an insurance policy for King Cash again this year (and also as a guy to give him an occasional break). It doesn't need to be a world beater, just somebody capable of bringing the ball up the court and getting the offensive sets running ... a guy that would allow Vaughn to head back to the two guard full-time where he's much more effective, even when King Cash gets a breather.

Supposedly UC is the leader for Bledsoe but it's more by default. He just got the fifth star, but I think UC loses him if another opportunity opens up elsewhere.

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Supposedly UC is the leader for Bledsoe but it's more by default. He just got the fifth star, but I think UC loses him if another opportunity opens up elsewhere.

Bledsoe will likely not go to UC.

Riek is a Bearcat and Kavon Lytch seems to be as well.

WVRed
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I posted this on the UK thread, but is there any chance with Alex Tyus (who played at Harmony Prep) transferring that UC would be a likely destination?

dabvu2498
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I posted this on the UK thread, but is there any chance with Alex Tyus (who played at Harmony Prep) transferring that UC would be a likely destination? Tyus was allegedly close to going to Ohio State the 1st time around.

SeeinRed
04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Well, after having some time to look back on the season, I see it as a positive looking forward. Despite missing out on the NIT, I still think UC made positive steps. Staring down a possible at-large bid into the NCAA's with three games left in the season was a huge positive that will be overlooked because of the collapse at the end of the season. In all fairness, last years team wasn't an NCAA caliber team from the start IMO. They were a lot closer than in recent years, but not there yet. This years team should be there. This is the year that I think Mick has to make his money. If UC doesn't make the NCAA's, I will join those of you who are already thinking Mick isn't the guy for the job. Right now, I still think he is. He says the right things, and he has really recruited hard.

Anyway, here is a look back on the season with Mick by Josh Katzowitz (http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/blog/spec-rel/042209aaa.html):

A basketball wrap-up

April 22, 2009

(8:22 a.m.): As we continue to wait for UC to announce who has signed their basketball letters of intent, here are Mick’s thoughts on the 2008-09 season:

In reality, it was a bad eight days for the UC basketball team. It wasn’t a bad season. Just a bad stretch of games at the end of the year, and Bearcats coach Mick Cronin doesn’t want that last week or so to color the results of the 2008-09 season.

“I can assure you the bad eight days we had were way harder on me than anybody that cares about our program,” Cronin said recently in a postseason sit-down. “But at the end of the day, as you now put on your shirt to go recruit, we’ve rebuilt the program, we just had a winning season, we finished better than where we were predicted to finish in the Big East. We just have to make sure we come closer as a group and get ready next year to take the next step.”

So yeah, Cronin remains optimistic about where he’s taking the program.

“I’m tremendously optimistic,” he said. “But we need to have a big offseason. We have to make sure we continue building upon our winning season and continue heading in the right direction.”

The last month or so was pretty brutal, though. After winning four of five games at the end of January and into February, UC was in position to play for a possible NCAA tournament berth. A 65-61 home victory against West Virginia still left UC in a pretty good position with three regular-season games to play, but following that win, the team fell apart.

The Bearcats lost three straight – including one to South Florida and one to Seton Hall, two of the weaker teams in the conference – and in the first round of the Big East tournament, a DePaul squad that hadn’t won a conference game all season dismantled UC 67-57 at Madison Square Garden.

But again, Cronin says, it was eight days. And eight days does not a season make.

“Not for me,” Cronin said. “One thing you can’t do as a team, you can’t let other people define who you are – what you have accomplished or what you’re capable of accomplishing. We define that for ourselves. You have to determine your successes and your failures and assess where you’re at and what you’ve learned. That’s what we’ve talked about in the last month since the season ended and who we want to become.

“One thing I can tell you about our season, you have to learn as a group. We played as a first-year team. The majority of our team had never played together as a group, and they came close to getting an NCCAA tournament bid. Many things factored into what went on at the end of the year. At the end of the day, we probably just weren’t good enough. You can’t let frustration factor into that. You have to separate yourself from that and take an objective view to get better.”

The way to do that, Cronin said, is for the team to look at the overall season in an unbiased manner. Yes, the last eight days of the season were devastating. But the season overall, in Cronin’s mind, was successful. For the first time in the Cronin era, the Bearcats posted a winning record (18-14), and they finished tied for ninth in the Big East.

Without a true point guard – freshman Cashmere Wright was lost for the year in the preseason – and playing in a conference that produced three squads in the Final Four, Cronin can overlook the last few games of the season.

“To have a chance to come out with almost a 20-win season and an NCAA tournament bid, it was because of their effort and them trying to push themselves through,” Cronin said. “We were the youngest team in the Big East, and for us to be knocking on the door is a big positive. The end of the season was a big negative, but you have to learn to accept the totality of it all. Our program is back to normal. We can build in the offseason, and we have players returning. The key for me is making sure my players stay immune to negativity and focus on the positive and understand how close we are to becoming what we need to become. That’s important.”

Although UC will lose a few players – at the end of the season, sophomore guard Alvin Mitchell was suspended for the second time in two years and was not retained, and senior forward Mike Williams did not appeal for a sixth year of eligibility – Cronin expects more normalcy.

When he took over the program in 2006, he inherited a team with only one scholarship player in Cedric McGowan. Cronin had to recruit a handful of junior college players who would stay around only two seasons. At the same time, he recruited prep players he thought could impact the program in a positive way.

Now, after finishing his third season at UC, Cronin feels like he’s running a normal program.

“When I say returning back to normal, it’s a roster full of players,” Cronin said. “You have younger players, you have guys returning, we have a feel for the coaching staff. We’re not a transient, makeshift team that was slapped together. We’re now a team like other teams.”

Yet, the Bearcats remain a team that still needs to improve. Deonta Vaughn will return for his senior season, and he’ll be joined by juniors Larry Davis, Rashad Bishop and Darnell Wilks. Center Yancy Gates and Dion Dixon should be even better as they move into the sophomore class, and Wright and Sean Kilpatrick should make big impacts as freshmen.

But the wildcard might be Ibrahim Thomas, a transfer from Oklahoma State who won’t be eligible to play until after the first semester. Cronin, thus far, is impressed with his potential.

“He was a very big recruit,” Cronin said. “To replace (Williams) with somebody that’s taller and more athletic and can shoot it as well and is a more vocal player, I can’t tell you how excited I am for him to be on this team. He brings leadership qualities. Mike not having played for two years and being engaged with a child and knowing he was a one-year player and having an introverted personality, he gave us some production. But I think Thomas will step in and give us everything Mike gave us and he’ll give us stability, better defense, better rebounding and much more leadership. He’s a gatherer of people.”

More than that, though, Cronin is just excited about the possibilities for next year’s squad. Finally, he feels like he has the right players and right mentality to succeed in what has become the toughest conference in the country.

“I do know that my players care about restoring Cincinnati basketball,” Cronin said. “They came here for a reason. We’re all here to get us back to where we want to be. We want our fans back in the NCAA tournament. We want to get back to being a nationally relevant program. It’s real. The guys want that. Sometimes things don’t happen at the pace you want them at. Part of that is taking some lumps as a group together. Coaches can preach about consistency and effort but until guys have been through it, they don’t understand what you’re talking about. Having been though those experiences, that will serve us well into next year.”

GoReds33
04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
It's almost the middle of the second round and Barwin hasn't been picked. I thought he would go late first. SI had him at the 17th pick the other day. It's hard to believe he will fall much further.

icehole3
05-04-2009, 07:55 AM
rumor on the UC front, Reik may have signed with Miss St. after supposedly signing with UC, stand by

paintmered
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
rumor on the UC front, Reik may have signed with Miss St. after supposedly signing with UC, stand by

That's more than a rumor. Reik will not be a Bearcat.

Reds4Life
05-04-2009, 05:46 PM
My patience with the Mick Cronin expierment is running VERY thin right now. The recruting class so far this year looks like a complete loss.

SeeinRed
05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
That's more than a rumor. Reik will not be a Bearcat.

Is it even a sure thing that he will play for anybody though? I thought he still had to be cleared by the NCAA and that it wasn't a certainty that they would clear him. I'm not sure its a big loss anyway considering how long it has been since he played. I'm still optomistic about next year, but I wasn't really counting on Reik anyway. Seemed like a pipe dream from the beginning to me.

Boss-Hog
05-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Is it even a sure thing that he will play for anybody though? I thought he still had to be cleared by the NCAA and that it wasn't a certainty that they would clear him. I'm not sure its a big loss anyway considering how long it has been since he played. I'm still optomistic about next year, but I wasn't really counting on Reik anyway. Seemed like a pipe dream from the beginning to me.
Well, if nothing else, it's disappointing they've invested so much time with him only to see him go elsewhere. They could have used the scholarship on someone who might have been able to help us last year or this year.

paintmered
05-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Supposedly these were the issues that caused UC to back away after receiving his signed LOI. Why this wasn't considered for the two years they recruited him and not at the last second, I'll never know.

This recruiting class has turned out to be a major disappointment.

SeeinRed
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, if nothing else, it's disappointing they've invested so much time with him only to see him go elsewhere. They could have used the scholarship on someone who might have been able to help us last year or this year.

I can definately understand that line of thought as well as paint's. You are both probably more down to earth about it than me.

I just don't think he was a guy Mick had really put a lot of hope on from what I hear, but then again of course he would say that when it would eventually fall through anyway. Got to believe Mick is still searching, but I still see a lot of hope for next year. With the recruiting class already signed, even if considered disappointing, I still think they make the NCAA field next year. Thats where Mick needs to be, and anything less will likely result in him being fired. He knows that, and he wants to win more than anybody right now.

There are a few things that worry me though. One is some things going on with Mick that might be taking away from his recruiting and even possibly his coaching. This has been going on since the middle of last season at least, but I don't want to disclose what it is because I don't think it is public knowlege. If there is reason for concern, this will just add to it. If some of you have sources like I think you do, you know what I'm talking about. The biggest red flag with that situation was the way he seemingly lost the team at the end of the year. He knows why it happened and he is smart enough not to let it happen again.. I think.

If for no other reason than they held on in one of the toughest conferences in college baskeball history until the last week or so without a true PG and such a young team, I am very optomistic about next year. You should see progression for the first time in some of the players because the program has finally become stable. Cashmere has the ability to give Vaughn a lot of freedom to score, and I am very excited to see what Yancy Gates can do in his sophmore season. I also think Wilks can be a factor if he makes the neccessary improvements in the off season. This is all best case scenario though and I am admitedly a pretty big optomist around a program with many reasons to be pessimistic recently.

icehole3
05-05-2009, 05:36 PM
here's Bill Koch's report and he's making it sound like Cronin never turned the paperwork in, this whole situation sounds weird

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog04&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ada6629a0-7bd0-4605-8869-25a20cb5adabPost%3acca12f12-bd45-4033-9709-5821f5887f8a&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

In answer to the blog questions about John Riek, as most of you know, the story first surfaced on the internet yesterday that Riek, who signed a letter of intent with UC, is now headed to Mississippi State. I don't like to report internet rumors because they often turn out to be wrong. I have been trying since yesterday to confirm it the story with no success. Today, there's a story in The Starkville Daily News reporting that Riek has signed a letter-of-intent with the Bulldogs, but no official confirmation yet from MSU officials because they had yet to receive the letter. This is the second time that Riek has appeared to be headed to UC only to have it not happen. Last year, I was told he didn't actually sign a letter-of-intent but an offer to accept financial aid from UC. Mick Cronin said at the time that Riek had to rehab a bad knee and that he would not play him, even after he had been declared eligible, unless he was fully healthy. Then, as the season wore on, it became apparent that he wasn't coming to UC after all, presumably because he had not been able to gain his eligiblity. Cronin apparently signed him to a letter-of-intent last month, but UC never announced it because the school wanted to wait until he was eligible to play. That announcement has never been made, and according to the internet reports, because UC never turned in the letter to the NCAA, Riek was not bound by it. So it appears he's off to Mississippi State.

GoReds33
06-28-2009, 11:37 AM
It looks like UC has an in on Lance Stephenson. He visited for the Deveroes game this weekend, and is touring the campus. He's a top ten national player, though he has some very serious issues to be resolved.

dsmith421
06-28-2009, 12:09 PM
It looks like UC has an in on Lance Stephenson. He visited for the Deveroes game this weekend, and is touring the campus. He's a top ten national player, though he has some very serious issues to be resolved.

I'm going to be curious to see the reaction of UC's fans to this signing (which I'm hearing is going to happen). On the one hand, it probably makes UC a Top 25 team. On the other hand, the baggage surrounding this kid reminds this outsider of Dontonio Wingfield. Is this a desperation move by Cronin or a carefully considered risk?

morande
06-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow I hope this happends.. He was at micks kids camp this weekend also.. WHere did you hear this guys?

Reds4Life
06-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm going to be curious to see the reaction of UC's fans to this signing (which I'm hearing is going to happen). On the one hand, it probably makes UC a Top 25 team. On the other hand, the baggage surrounding this kid reminds this outsider of Dontonio Wingfield. Is this a desperation move by Cronin or a carefully considered risk?

Personally, as a UC fan, I think it's a bit of both. Stepenshon can flat out play, and is a high school all american. Cronin knows a kid with that kind of talent is worth the risk. At the same time, he also knows a lot of UC fans are getting really tired of the losing, the end of the year collapses, and no NCAA tournaments. The rebuilding excuse only goes so far, he's had time, and to date the results have been mediocre at best. If next year turns out to be like the past 2 seasons, a lot of UC fans are going to be calling for his head. I know I am very disappointed with the current recruiting class, and I'm not alone.

joshnky
06-28-2009, 02:31 PM

He has been described as another OJ Mayo. Not necessarily because of the talent but because he is an NCAA violation waiting to happen.

There is a reason why a top ten player is having trouble finding a school. No one wants to be the next USC.

WMR
06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Matt Pilgrim is from the Cincinnati area. He's taking a visit to Memphis but Cronin and UC are definitely in on him. He would be an AWESOME addition for the Bearcats, especially if he gets his waiver as expected to allow him to play the upcoming season.

Reds4Life
06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Matt Pilgrim is from the Cincinnati area. He's taking a visit to Memphis but Cronin and UC are definitely in on him. He would be an AWESOME addition for the Bearcats, especially if he gets his waiver as expected to allow him to play the upcoming season.

Not sure how many schollys UC has left, I think it's just 1. According to a couple Big East assistants, Stephensen is expected to sign with UC on Tuesday, pending his court appearance.

GoReds33
06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Not sure how many schollys UC has left, I think it's just 1. According to a couple Big East assistants, Stephensen is expected to sign with UC on Tuesday, pending his court appearance.
That's what I'm hearing as well. I hope his charges get dismissed.

Redlegs23
06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
At this point I think Cronin realizes it's a pretty big risk but it looks like he has determined it is one worth taking. People are already calling for his head, not because he isn't graduating enough players but because they want more wins, and they want the NCAA tourney. With the guys already in place, adding Stephenson would go a long way towards putting them in the tourney this year. This would put a lot more fans in the seats, and make UC basketball relevant again. I would guess that most of the casual fans have no idea what kind of baggage comes with Lance, and most probably have no idea who Lance Stephenson is at this point. Honestly I think it's a risk worth taking considering the current state of the UC fanbase.

Best case scenario: Lance gets his charges cleared (likely), signs with UC, gets deemed eligible, helps UC to 20+ wins and a tourney run, fans back behind the program, future recruits (esp. the many NYC prospects) consider UC a possible destination.

Worst case scenario: UC signs Lance and he's declared ineligible and doesn't play this season.

bucksfan2
06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
At this point I think Cronin realizes it's a pretty big risk but it looks like he has determined it is one worth taking. People are already calling for his head, not because he isn't graduating enough players but because they want more wins, and they want the NCAA tourney. With the guys already in place, adding Stephenson would go a long way towards putting them in the tourney this year. This would put a lot more fans in the seats, and make UC basketball relevant again. I would guess that most of the casual fans have no idea what kind of baggage comes with Lance, and most probably have no idea who Lance Stephenson is at this point. Honestly I think it's a risk worth taking considering the current state of the UC fanbase.

Best case scenario: Lance gets his charges cleared (likely), signs with UC, gets deemed eligible, helps UC to 20+ wins and a tourney run, fans back behind the program, future recruits (esp. the many NYC prospects) consider UC a possible destination.

Worst case scenario: UC signs Lance and he's declared ineligible and doesn't play this season.

I kind of feel the same way as you do. I think Cronin needs to take some chances in order to get UC back to where they were under Huggins. This Stephenson sounds like a real quality human being, that said, I really don't care how bad of a person he is if he doesn't get arrested and helps UC win games.

The issue I have with Cronin is that he has taken chances in the past and they backfired. Herenal Hall, Adam H, and Reik twice. If he can ink Stephenson to a LOI, he can't swing and miss again. If he signs he can't be ruled ineligible.

Redlegs23
06-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I kind of feel the same way as you do. I think Cronin needs to take some chances in order to get UC back to where they were under Huggins. This Stephenson sounds like a real quality human being, that said, I really don't care how bad of a person he is if he doesn't get arrested and helps UC win games.

The issue I have with Cronin is that he has taken chances in the past and they backfired. Herenal Hall, Adam H, and Reik twice. If he can ink Stephenson to a LOI, he can't swing and miss again. If he signs he can't be ruled ineligible.

I don't think he took any chance that backfired with Reik. He had Reik if he wanted him and Cronin said no. I guess you can say he took a chance by recruiting him in the first place, but pretty much every coach in the country recruited him at some point.

I don't think it hurts him at all if he signs Stephenson and he doesn't become eligible. It's not like there's a lot of '09 talent out there right now waiting to sign that we can use that last scholarship on. If he's declared ineligible we're in the same boat as we are without signing him at all. The scholarship is available, so why not take the chance?

BTW, just saw that his hearing has been adjourned again until July 15th, so don't expect a commitment either way until that is cleared up.

Reds4Life
06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't think he took any chance that backfired with Reik. He had Reik if he wanted him and Cronin said no. I guess you can say he took a chance by recruiting him in the first place, but pretty much every coach in the country recruited him at some point.

I don't think it hurts him at all if he signs Stephenson and he doesn't become eligible. It's not like there's a lot of '09 talent out there right now waiting to sign that we can use that last scholarship on. If he's declared ineligible we're in the same boat as we are without signing him at all. The scholarship is available, so why not take the chance?

BTW, just saw that his hearing has been adjourned again until July 15th, so don't expect a commitment either way until that is cleared up.

The whole situation with Reik is just bizarre. You recruit a guy for 2 years, then decide after he signs an LOI, you don't want him anymore? That makes no sense at all. I have some major concerns with Cronin when it comes to recruiting. This team needed a backup PG, he failed to sign one. If Cashmere still has some nagging problems with his injury, that means more Vaughn at the PG position, which doesn't spell good news.

I agree on Lance though, if you can get him, take him. Even if it turns out he's ineligible, it was worth the risk considering the talent and potential impact involved. Unless they start winning, and soon, UC is on the verge of becoming non-relevlant in college basketball.

Redlegs23
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
The whole situation with Reik is just bizarre. You recruit a guy for 2 years, then decide after he signs an LOI, you don't want him anymore? That makes no sense at all. I have some major concerns with Cronin when it comes to recruiting. This team needed a backup PG, he failed to sign one. If Cashmere still has some nagging problems with his injury, that means more Vaughn at the PG position, which doesn't spell good news.

No idea what happened with the Reik situation. Maybe Cronin learned of something new that changed his mind. He knows a lot more about the situation than we do, so I'm not at all upset if he decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

I too would have liked to have signed a nice backup PG. Unfortunately for us PG's were in high demand this year, and the options were limited. Having Parker at least gives us a potential backup option besides Vaughn, but I don't think he's the true PG that we needed.

WMR
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
If UC is not a NCAA tournament team in 2009, does Cronin survive to coach 2010?

Reds4Life
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Probably yes.

Should he? No.

As much as it pains me to say it, who would replace him? The UC athletic department is so far in the red, there is no money to hire a big name coach. If the money was there, the reality is most probably wouldn't want the job. I think the way the whole Huggins situation played out left a very sour taste in mouths of many coaches. The upside is Zimpher is now gone, but her replacement has yet to be determined. They would likey hire the latest flavor of the month from the mid-major ranks, on the cheap, and I'm not sure if that would be any better than what we've got.

Reds4Life
06-29-2009, 03:05 PM
No idea what happened with the Reik situation. Maybe Cronin learned of something new that changed his mind. He knows a lot more about the situation than we do, so I'm not at all upset if he decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

I too would have liked to have signed a nice backup PG. Unfortunately for us PG's were in high demand this year, and the options were limited. Having Parker at least gives us a potential backup option besides Vaughn, but I don't think he's the true PG that we needed.

I'm not real thrilled with the Parker signing. A decommit from ODU, forgive me if I'm less than impressed with that.

Fingers crossed he can land Lance. I'm wondering if he ends up being cleared, that all the schools that backed off will jump back into the picture right away.

Redlegs23
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not real thrilled with the Parker signing. A decommit from ODU, forgive me if I'm less than impressed with that.

Fingers crossed he can land Lance. I'm wondering if he ends up being cleared, that all the schools that backed off will jump back into the picture right away.

I'm not going to say Parker is great, because I've never seen him play, but I don't think it's fair to say he's no good because he once committed to ODU. From what I've read he was being recruited by UCONN and Marquette as well. That being said, I got the impression that he was more of a backup plan that Cronin had to go to since the top pg's that half the country was going after committed elsewhere.

I too have my fingers crossed for Stephenson. Fans of other schools will bash UC if he signs here, but the reality is if he was being recruited by their school most of them would be excited to see him sign there too.

Redlegs23
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Good question. I think he will get one more year unless there is some serious regression this year, and I think he deserves it also. The cupboard was completely bare when he took over, and he has gone from 11 to 13 to 18 wins in his three seasons. He has a nice sophomore class in place, and if Stephenson signs there will be a solid freshman class. I think the program is moving in the right direction. Maybe not as quickly as I had hoped, but I think they will be back in the big dance this year.

SeeinRed
06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, one source (http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5614770&oid=2&vkey=21)says Lance chose UC. Huge pick up by Mick. We'll see how this all plays out, but I'd say Mick is pretty sure he'll play this year or he wouldn't go through with it. Thats why I think UC backed off the Reik deal. Either way, I think this could completely change the outlook for the upcoming season.

CrackerJack
06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, one source (http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5614770&oid=2&vkey=21)says Lance chose UC. Huge pick up by Mick. We'll see how this all plays out, but I'd say Mick is pretty sure he'll play this year or he wouldn't go through with it. Thats why I think UC backed off the Reik deal. Either way, I think this could completely change the outlook for the upcoming season.

I agree, not sure if the Reik situation had anything to do with it though - but Lance is a top 10 recruit and UC desperately needs that kind of attention/situation, even if it is for just one year.

Gates/Vaughn/Wright/Thomas/Stephenson - not bad at all. I just hope the egos don't get in the way and that those guys compliment each other, they are capable of being VERY good, despite some depth issues still - a top 5 Big East team is not out of the question at all.

SeeinRed
06-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree, not sure if the Reik situation had anything to do with it though

I'm not saying they are related, but I think the reason Mick backed out of that was because he didn't believe Reik would be playing college basketball. I'm sure he didn't want to waste the time on a recruit that was returning from injury and wasn't even a certainty he would be eligible. I would think Mick is fairly certain of Lance's eligibility.

WMR
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Is Mick really that certain of Lance's eligibility or is he desperate to land a top 10 recruit (understandable)?

With all that "Born Ready TV" etc. etc. etc. and with the fickleness of the NCAA, I don't think anyone can be "fairly certain" of Lance being eligible.

NorrisHopper30
06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
BORN READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Reds4Life
06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Is Mick really that certain of Lance's eligibility or is he desperate to land a top 10 recruit (understandable)?

With all that "Born Ready TV" etc. etc. etc. and with the fickleness of the NCAA, I don't think anyone can be "fairly certain" of Lance being eligible.

Worth the risk. What does UC have to lose? Nothing. There is no possibility of sanctions from the NCAA, as all this happened before his involvement with UC. The risk-reward factor is with UC on this one.

WMR
06-30-2009, 03:58 PM
I agree it is worth the risk. Mick needs to make some moves and if this Stephenson deal ends up working out well then it could be a precursor to Mick getting involved with more blue chip guys. Lance COULD be very, very good for the UC program. It wouldn't be great for the program's rep if Cronin takes him and he then doesn't qualify, but it's still a smart risk to take in a very tough Big East.

WVRed
06-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I thought Huggs Thugs & Drugs was long gone.:D

Fil3232
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Worth the risk. What does UC have to lose? Nothing. There is no possibility of sanctions from the NCAA, as all this happened before his involvement with UC. The risk-reward factor is with UC on this one.

What does UC have to lose? Credibility. Or have they already lost all of it?

UC recruiting this type of kid is a running joke.

Reds4Life
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
What does UC have to lose? Credibility. Or have they already lost all of it?

UC recruiting this type of kid is a running joke.

Ahhh, the haters are returning. This must be a sign the program is on the right direction again.

Redlegs23
06-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I must be missing something. From what I understand Lance has a pending charge that he groped a 17 year old girl and it's expected that his case will either be pleaded down or thrown out. Yes, that's bad, but there are also several other recruits that have signed this period that have had charges against them and I didn't hear near the uproar that I'm hearing over Stephenson. Aside from the legal issue I'm not sure I understand what gives pepole the perception that he's the scum of the earth. Let's look at the other issues around him.

1. His dad is outspoken: apparently that means Lance is scum.

2. He toured the under armor facilities while on a college visit with Maryland: not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance, it only reflects poorly on Maryland IMO.

3. He had an internet reality show about him: Again, not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance. Probably not the smartest thing to do because it will ultimately raise the question of whether or not he received compensation, but from what I understand it's just pure speculation that any money changed hands. I guess people will take that speculation as fact and assume that he's a thug because of it. For what it's worth Lance's dad said that they would have to be idiots to take any money for that show (to be determined whether or not they're idiots I guess).

4. He's supposedly a selfish basketball player and bad for team chemistry: I'm not sure I know of many star athletes, especially top 25 caliber players that aren't selfish in high school. I'm not sure how bad his team chemistry can be if his team won 4 city championships and 2 state titles.

Is there anything else I'm unaware of that makes UC a renegade program for recruiting him? Decourcey was just on Lance's show and said the talk about other programs backing out and nobody else wanting him is crazy. He said Mick flat out won this recruiting battle.

LoganBuck
07-01-2009, 01:31 AM
I am very excited about watching Lance at UC. If Mick can get him to play within the framework of the team, (to me that is the biggest question mark) UC will have a very good year. With the guys they have coming off redshirt and transfer, plus more experience on the rest of the roster they have a chance.

travisgrimes
07-01-2009, 02:02 AM
they should finish top 5 at least in the Big East and have a real chance to win it because the Big East top teams like UCONN, PITT, UofL and some others are all in rebuilding kind of modes because they lost ALOT

bucksfan2
07-01-2009, 10:26 AM

I have heard this is a big problem. He and his dad will fight during games Lance yelling at his dad in the stands. From the report I have heard he undermines the coaches authority.

2. He toured the under armor facilities while on a college visit with Maryland: not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance, it only reflects poorly on Maryland IMO.

If I had the chance I would want to do it. The problem becomes with how closely Maryland is linked to UA. Recruiting is a dirty game and it seems like Lance took advantage out of that.

3. He had an internet reality show about him: Again, not sure how this reflects poorly on Lance. Probably not the smartest thing to do because it will ultimately raise the question of whether or not he received compensation, but from what I understand it's just pure speculation that any money changed hands. I guess people will take that speculation as fact and assume that he's a thug because of it. For what it's worth Lance's dad said that they would have to be idiots to take any money for that show (to be determined whether or not they're idiots I guess).

Didn't Lance call himself the "Chosen One". The internet reality show just makes me think this kid will have a rampant ego. A great player who doesn't buy into a system or has a huge ego will tear a team apart.

4. He's supposedly a selfish basketball player and bad for team chemistry: I'm not sure I know of many star athletes, especially top 25 caliber players that aren't selfish in high school. I'm not sure how bad his team chemistry can be if his team won 4 city championships and 2 state titles.

College and High School are two different animals. I agree that most top 25 players are selfish. But what I want to know is whether the player can or will change. In High School the level of talent across the board isn't even close to what it is in college. Now days in college basketball mid-majors and small D1 schools have mature talent across the board. If you don't play as a team, one of these smaller teams will beat you.

Is there anything else I'm unaware of that makes UC a renegade program for recruiting him? Decourcey was just on Lance's show and said the talk about other programs backing out and nobody else wanting him is crazy. He said Mick flat out won this recruiting battle.

Not a big Decourcey fan. I think he is an ok writer, but a complete UC homer. Personally from what I have read Lance is a turd. I wouldn't want him to live next door to me, I wouldn't want my sister to date him, I wouldn't want my brother to hang around him. But he isn't any more of a turd than Jon Wall or OJ Mayo or Brandon Jennings. He is just a very talented high school player who from day one has played with a sense of entitlement. These types of players are great at putting a team over the top. They can take a top 15 team in to a title contending team. Unfortunatly if they aren't the final piece they need to be taken down a notch. They need to learn how to play the game right. Need to learn how to play the game as a good teammate and a good defender. It is very tough to do with a one and done player.

Hopefully for Mick and UC it works out. As a fan I will cheer for him when he is off the court and hope he stays out of another court.

Redlegs23
07-01-2009, 10:29 AM
they should finish top 5 at least in the Big East and have a real chance to win it because the Big East top teams like UCONN, PITT, UofL and some others are all in rebuilding kind of modes because they lost ALOT

Good point. The Big East will still be tough, but last year was ridiculous. A lot of talent left across the board this past year though. UC won 8 Big East games last year, and returns everyone but Mike Williams plus they add their 4* point guard, a 5* stud (if he's eligible), along with a 6'10" scorer in Thomas. If Stephenson is eligible I see no reason why UC shouldn't be considered a legit threat to win the Big East this year.

Redlegs23
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I have heard this is a big problem. He and his dad will fight during games Lance yelling at his dad in the stands. From the report I have heard he undermines the coaches authority.

If I had the chance I would want to do it. The problem becomes with how closely Maryland is linked to UA. Recruiting is a dirty game and it seems like Lance took advantage out of that.

Didn't Lance call himself the "Chosen One". The internet reality show just makes me think this kid will have a rampant ego. A great player who doesn't buy into a system or has a huge ego will tear a team apart.

College and High School are two different animals. I agree that most top 25 players are selfish. But what I want to know is whether the player can or will change. In High School the level of talent across the board isn't even close to what it is in college. Now days in college basketball mid-majors and small D1 schools have mature talent across the board. If you don't play as a team, one of these smaller teams will beat you.

Not a big Decourcey fan. I think he is an ok writer, but a complete UC homer. Personally from what I have read Lance is a turd. I wouldn't want him to live next door to me, I wouldn't want my sister to date him, I wouldn't want my brother to hang around him. But he isn't any more of a turd than Jon Wall or OJ Mayo or Brandon Jennings. He is just a very talented high school player who from day one has played with a sense of entitlement. These types of players are great at putting a team over the top. They can take a top 15 team in to a title contending team. Unfortunatly if they aren't the final piece they need to be taken down a notch. They need to learn how to play the game right. Need to learn how to play the game as a good teammate and a good defender. It is very tough to do with a one and done player.

Hopefully for Mick and UC it works out. As a fan I will cheer for him when he is off the court and hope he stays out of another court.

I agree with most everything you said. In the end it's up to Cronin to keep him in check and make him play team ball. For what it's worth Cronin said in the Enquirer today that Stephenson talked about winning as much or more than any other recruit he has talked to.

Cronin will have to earn that fat paycheck this year. Should be fun to watch.

Fil3232
07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Ahhh, the haters are returning. This must be a sign the program is on the right direction again.

Ha. Yeah, something like that.

The only sign I see is that UC can't reach their goals without bringing in kids with serious question marks.

CrackerJack
07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
I must be missing something. From what I understand Lance has a pending charge that he groped a 17 year old girl and it's expected that his case will either be pleaded down or thrown out. Yes, that's bad, but there are also several other recruits that have signed this period that have had charges against them and I didn't hear near the uproar that I'm hearing over Stephenson. Aside from the legal issue I'm not sure I understand what gives pepole the perception that he's the scum of the earth. Let's look at the other issues around him.

What he said.

My Huggins-loving UC alum friend was also quick to mention Lance was "cut" from the under-18 US team (fair to be curious about that though).

Only here are people criticizing/wondering/complaining about a McD's AA and top 10 recruit other big time schools wanted but didn't get - presumably because they don't "have" to "settle" for guys like this no matter how talented. UC is not in that position, may never be.

The Huggins-obsessives are impossible to please, they want Cronin to dominate the BE like Huggs dominated (until the last several years) lowly C-USA, then complain or criticize Cronin when he lands a top 10 national recruit.

I don't get it at all, but, we are in Cincinnati.

SeeinRed
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Ha. Yeah, something like that.

The only sign I see is that UC can't reach their goals without bringing in kids with serious question marks.

I don't know about that. This year's goal has to be make the NCAA tourney. I think they can do that without Lance. Most would argue that Lance is one and done, so he doesn't really help beyond that.

Beyond that, I don't know that any school can get by just by recruiting players without question marks. Good players usually come with baggage. Such is the cost of trying to run a top 25 program.

I guess my response should have been you are correct, but to say this is true for only UC is why Reds4Life points out some people just critic every thing UC does. There are definately haters out there, just at there are OSU haters and so forth that will never be able to view this without bias.

SeeinRed
07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't get it at all, but, we are in Cincinnati.

Cincinnati, may be on of the most negatively viewed sports cities by not only its citizens, but also by outsiders. Even when teams play well at UC, they are said to be a bunch of convicts. Its not like other teams are completely clean, or that UC has tons of recruiting violations, but the players are a bunch of criminals. The Bengals are seen as the leading culprits in players with criminal problems even though other teams have had as many or more problems, and some even more serious. Cincinnati and its professional teams haven't helped themselves by any means, but a lot of these criticisms are unfairly placed on the city. It is what it is I guess, but it irritates me to no end that my "hometown" teams are viewed with such disdain. Talk about bias. Thats enough ranting for now though.

NorrisHopper30
07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Lance is a good kid, the media blows it out of proportion.

Now, Xavier just got a recruit Jeff Robinson who couldn't qualify for Purdue..that seems fishy to me.

DTCromer
07-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Good point. The Big East will still be tough, but last year was ridiculous. A lot of talent left across the board this past year though. UC won 8 Big East games last year, and returns everyone but Mike Williams plus they add their 4* point guard, a 5* stud (if he's eligible), along with a 6'10" scorer in Thomas. If Stephenson is eligible I see no reason why UC shouldn't be considered a legit threat to win the Big East this year.

UC won 8 games in the BE with a relatively weak BE schedule. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Still plenty of work to do and Mick hasn't proved he can last a whole season without some type of bad, bad losing streaks.

Redlegs23
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
UC won 8 games in the BE with a relatively weak BE schedule. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Still plenty of work to do and Mick hasn't proved he can last a whole season without some type of bad, bad losing streaks.

I may be thinking a little too highly of this team, but I really don't know. Last year's team was very young, and sorely lacked a PG. We have the PG, and they're still young, but the talent level has significantly increased. Meanwhile, most of the teams in the Big East suffered some big losses in personnel this year. I think Villanova is the favorite, but I think UC should at least be considered as a team that could make a run at it (I'm not saying they will win it or anything, but I think they should have a legit shot at it).

Roy Tucker
07-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Cincinnati, may be on of the most negatively viewed sports cities by not only its citizens, but also by outsiders. Even when teams play well at UC, they are said to be a bunch of convicts. Its not like other teams are completely clean, or that UC has tons of recruiting violations, but the players are a bunch of criminals. The Bengals are seen as the leading culprits in players with criminal problems even though other teams have had as many or more problems, and some even more serious. Cincinnati and its professional teams haven't helped themselves by any means, but a lot of these criticisms are unfairly placed on the city. It is what it is I guess, but it irritates me to no end that my "hometown" teams are viewed with such disdain. Talk about bias. Thats enough ranting for now though.

Don't forget Marge and Pete.

Between the Reds, Bengals, and UC hoops, we've had a run of about 25 years of bad sports ink now. Unfortunately most of it deserved.

SeeinRed
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM

A relatively BE schedule last year is nothing to scoff at IMO. Honestly, UC fans' expectations were raised mid season. Thats part of being a sports fan that we have such a hard time understanding. You have to look at the whole season, not just parts. UC played well against very tough opponents and those losing streaks can be viewed as the team running out of gas in a lot of instances. This year will be the first that Mick's team isn't severely under-manned and Mick is now working with the true base of college players rather than a bunch of JuCo transfers and patch-up players. He has consistently improved and the next step in the process will be an NCAA berth. If he doesn't reach that goal this upcoming season, then there are some more serious concerns with Mick's ability.

Again, just my opinion

SeeinRed
07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't forget Marge and Pete.

Between the Reds, Bengals, and UC hoops, we've had a run of about 25 years of bad sports ink now. Unfortunately most of it deserved.

That really can't be argued. I just don't think Cincinnati is a town with more problems than most when it comes to teams with scandals/criminal activity (I guess thats what I'll call it), yet we are still under the microscope. Maybe it is just because I live here and I see it up close. Its like a catch 22. People want the teams in town to win, but they want them to do it with the cleanest players and coaches. It seems in sports that you can't have it both ways. You must take chances on players that aren't the best citizens sometimes to win. Sometimes you have to toe the line to get where you want to be. Good guys don't always make good players and coaches. Its probably been argued about since the begginning of organized sports, but sometimes those chances backfire. I'm confident you can show an example from any team.

Did UC have more than their share under Huggins? Its arguable, but he won. His legacy won't be remembered for questionable players to most, but for winning. There has been a lot of bad press in Cincinnati, and a lot of it is deserved, but is it really anymore than any other major sports city?

texasdave
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Lance-Stephenson-Cincinnati-it-is?urn=ncaab,174046

Last night, Lance Stephenson made the most recent batch of rumors about his never-ending, tenuous recruitment real. He chose to play basketball for the Cincinnati Bearcats, meaning I again have to go through a post where I struggle to not type "Cincinatti" instead of "Cincinnati." I don't know why I do that, but I always do.

Naturally, there are bigger issues at stake than my weird spelling tics. Chief among them is the theme -- common by this point -- that Doc Brown just screeched up in the Delorean and shuffled the Bearcats back to the future. After all, former University of Cincinnati President Nancy Zimpher devoted much of her energies to ridding the basketball program of the perception that it was willing to take on questionable recruits with negligible interest in academics. Part of these energies involved asking Bob Huggins to take his mock turtlenecks and go home. And so Cincinnati was clean and quiet, for a little while.

On June 1, Zimpher officially left the school to become president at SUNY. Already, the Bearcats are back in the game. With Stephenson, emphatically so. It's hard to emphasize just how questionable Stephenson is: there are already issues surrounding his eligibility (the NCAA will be launching an investigation into an MTV2 show about Stephenson's life any day now), his attitude, his pending sexual assault case, and so on. Throw in the usual risks you take with one-and-done players -- they don't show up for class in the spring at best; they aid in a complete and utter breakdown of your program at worst -- and you can see the stakes here. Cincinnati isn't just playing a risky bet. They're going all in.

It reeks of desperation, which, little known fact, actually smells like Bob Huggins's cologne. And so the circle of life is complete.

NorrisHopper30
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
It's not that big of a risk, the media is REALLY REALLY REALLY blowing LS out of proportion.

joshnky
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
It's not that big of a risk, the media is REALLY REALLY REALLY blowing LS out of proportion.

You could be right but we'll have to see whether that holds. There is a reason why the top schools all backed off.

paintmered
07-01-2009, 10:58 PM
You could be right but we'll have to see whether that holds. There is a reason why the top schools all backed off.

McDonald's All-American Stephenson picks Cincinnati
Mike DeCourcy

Tuesday, Jun. 30, 2009 - 12:44 p.m. ET

Brooklyn guard prospect Lance Stephenson, the last top-10 player from the recruiting class of 2009 to select a school, has committed to Cincinnati, a source close to the recruitment told Sporting News on Tuesday.

At 6-5, Stephenson can play any of the three perimeter positions. He led Lincoln High to four consecutive Class AA New York City Public
Related Links

Cincinnati looks at Stephenson as a pro-level talent who can add scoring punch to an NCAA Tournament contender—and an elite recruit who can elevate the program's profile in pursuing other top prospects.

He is the first McDonald's All-American to choose Cincinnati under Mick Cronin as head coach. As an assistant under Bob Huggins, Cronin recruited the last McDonald's stars to join the program: guards DerMarr Johnson and Kenny Satterfield.

Stephenson's first college choice had been Kansas, which he selected nearly three months ago, but the Jayhawks asked him to delay making a public commitment while waiting for the NCAA to examine questions about his amateurism.

Almost immediately afterward, John Calipari left Memphis for the head coaching job at Kentucky, which freed top-10 wing Xavier Henry from his letter of intent at Memphis. Kansas preferred Henry and offered him a scholarship, leaving none available for Stephenson.

That left several other schools recruiting Stephenson, including St. John's and Maryland. Florida also recruited Stephenson and, a source said, still was pursuing him as recently as this weekend.

Stephenson still has a misdemeanor sexual assault case pending against him in court. On Monday, the case was delayed until July 15.

FWIW.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

That is also false. Florida, Memphis and Arizona were three of the schools that were definitely still after him. Arizona spinned it nicely by saying on last Friday (when Stephenson was at UC & committed) that they were no longer pursuing him. Wonder what it was last Friday that made them decide to "back off". FIU is another school that said they weren't interested after it became apparent that he was a heavy lean to UC.

Mick said in the Enquirer a couple of days ago that while Stephenson was in town last weekend he got numerous calls from many different coaches. He said Stephenson was showing him his phone every time he got another call from a coach. DeCourcey said on Lance's radio show that several schools were still after him and Cronin flat out won this one. Obviously Kansas backed off, but that's only because they got Henry and had no more scholly's. Maryland backed off but that's because their booster made contact with Stephenson which is a big no no. Somehow there's this misconception that UC was the only school that wanted Stephenson. There's also a misconception that UC just came out of nowhere and just started recruiting him. Mick has been on him for a long time.

joshnky
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
That is also false. Florida, Memphis and Arizona were three of the schools that were definitely still after him. Arizona spinned it nicely by saying on last Friday (when Stephenson was at UC & committed) that they were no longer pursuing him. Wonder what it was last Friday that made them decide to "back off". FIU is another school that said they weren't interested after it became apparent that he was a heavy lean to UC.

Mick said in the Enquirer a couple of days ago that while Stephenson was in town last weekend he got numerous calls from many different coaches. He said Stephenson was showing him his phone every time he got another call from a coach. DeCourcey said on Lance's radio show that several schools were still after him and Cronin flat out won this one. Obviously Kansas backed off, but that's only because they got Henry and had no more scholly's. Maryland backed off but that's because their booster made contact with Stephenson which is a big no no. Somehow there's this misconception that UC was the only school that wanted Stephenson. There's also a misconception that UC just came out of nowhere and just started recruiting him. Mick has been on him for a long time.

Those are three schools decimated by graduation and early departures. One NIT school, another that should have been (Arizona), and then Memphis (I think they go without saying). They're hardly elite right now and could probably described as desperate to avoid the NIT.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Those are three schools decimated by graduation and early departures. One NIT school, another that should have been (Arizona), and then Memphis (I think they go without saying). They're hardly elite right now and could probably described as desperate to avoid the NIT.

And UC is a team that hasn't even made the NIT in the past two years, what's your point? Arizona, Memphis, and Florida are traditional big time basketball schools any way you want to spin it.

DTCromer
07-02-2009, 01:55 PM
2009 UC basketball BE schedule

Home Connecticut, DePaul, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Providence, USF,Syracuse, Villanova

Away Connecticut,Georgetown, Louisville, Notre Dame,Rutgers, St. John?s, Seton Hall, USF,West Virginia

Wow, talk about a fortunate schedule. Seems just about right facing some top quality teams at home for some upsets and the lesser opponents on the road.

Boston Red
07-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Florida isn't a traditional big-time basketball school, though they obviously had a fabulous stretch.

Reds4Life
07-02-2009, 02:24 PM
2009 UC basketball BE schedule

Wow, talk about a fortunate schedule. Seems just about right facing some top quality teams at home for some upsets and the lesser opponents on the road.

That schedule is more difficult than last year.

The Big East is still brain dead, UC and Louisville should play a home/home.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Florida isn't a traditional big-time basketball school, though they obviously had a fabulous stretch.

That could be, but they're no mid-major either.

Cedric
07-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Desperate move by Cronin. Not shocking considering they had like 5000 fans a game last year.

Wouldn't be surprised if he never played a game at this level either. But UC badly needed some hype. Can't blame Cronin and Thomas for being so desperate.

Cedric
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Mick is the king of exagerration. He said Alvin Mitchell was a lock to be a Big East star ha. He is a car salesman type.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Mick is the king of exagerration. He said Alvin Mitchell was a lock to be a Big East star ha. He is a car salesman type.

So you think it's likely he made that up or what?

Cedric
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
So you think it's likely he made that up or what?

Wouldn't doubt me. I wouldn't trust a thing he says. He's trying to do anything to save his career.

Boston Red
07-02-2009, 02:54 PM
That could be, but they're no mid-major either.

Northwestern isn't a mid-major, but Gonzaga and Butler are. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

dsmith421
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Now, Xavier just got a recruit Jeff Robinson who couldn't qualify for Purdue..that seems fishy to me.

I wouldn't think a UC fan would want to pick this particular fight, but:

Many D-I schools establish "exceptions" internally which permit the admission of students with exceptional skills (be it athletics, music, theatre, etc.) who wouldn't normally be admitted to the institution. Purdue over-recruited this year and ran out of exceptions, Xavier had one available.

Robinson is a full qualifier under NCAA standards. Whether he's good enough to merit a scholarship at XU is an open question.

DTCromer
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Northwestern isn't a mid-major, but Gonzaga and Butler are. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Huh? WHen I think of mid-majors, I don't put Gonzaga and Butler on that list. They've proven they can consistently beat some quality basketball programs over the years.

Northwestern. . . not so much.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM

You honestly don't see what I'm getting at? Florida has had some serious basketball success. They are a big time program. They went to the final four in '94, they made the tourney 8 straight years from '99 to '07, and they won back to back national championships in '06 and '07. My point was that they have some serious recruiting pull, and UC beat them out. Not sure how you're trying to spin this by poo pooing their program, but they are a legit player in the recruiting world.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Surely you understand that mid-majors are generally less competitive in the recruiting world than the supposed big conference schools right?

WMR
07-02-2009, 05:01 PM

LOL yep, "traditionally" the University of Florida's basketball team is ... ... pretty horrible. :D

They're also coming off back to back trips to the NIT and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they end up again. Losing Calathes was a devastating blow for them.

WMR
07-02-2009, 05:05 PM
You honestly don't see what I'm getting at? Florida has had some serious basketball success. They are a big time program. They went to the final four in '94, they made the tourney 8 straight years from '99 to '07, and they won back to back national championships in '06 and '07. My point was that they have some serious recruiting pull, and UC beat them out. Not sure how you're trying to spin this by poo pooing their program, but they are a legit player in the recruiting world.

What you're missing is that right now Florida and Billy Donovan are just as desperate as UC and Cronin to get some talented players into the program.

I also don't believe a word Cronin says about this situation. He's obviously going to spin this to make himself and his staff look good. Like someone else posted, he's gotta be concerned about his career at this point. If he gets the axe at UC, no way he gets another D-1 job in a major conference as a head coach for a long time.

WMR
07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Count me as one, however, who hopes Lance has no trouble getting his eligibility and drops 40 on Louisville/Cuse/UCONN 2-3 times apiece next year. :D

Hoosier Red
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't know about that WilyMo, he walked into a pretty desolate situation. Not being able to turn it around in 3-4 years isn't necessarily a sign that he can't coach.

Kevin O'Neil failed at Tennessee, than failed miserably at Northwestern, than was passed over for the Arizona job because everyone hated him, and still he got a job.

WMR
07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't know about that WilyMo, he walked into a pretty desolate situation. Not being able to turn it around in 3-4 years isn't necessarily a sign that he can't coach.

Kevin O'Neil failed at Tennessee, than failed miserably at Northwestern, than was passed over for the Arizona job because everyone hated him, and still he got a job.

Oh I don't think it's a sign that he can't coach either, it's just that if you're perceived as having "failed" in your first "big time" gig it becomes much more difficult to get another big time job. Kevin O'Neil has a pretty impressive resume that includes the NBA, IIRC, so he's not really a good comparison for Mick's situation.

dsmith421
07-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Kevin O'Neil has a pretty impressive resume that includes the NBA, IIRC, so he's not really a good comparison for Mick's situation.

Kevin O'Neill is also a first-order jackass who has alienated administrators, boosters, and players at every stop along the way.

WMR
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Kevin O'Neill is also a first-order jackass who has alienated administrators, boosters, and players at every stop along the way.

So you're not interested in heading his fan club?

WMR
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, O'Neill has 6 years or so as an assistant coach in the NBA as well as two years as a head coach. That kind of experience in the pro game will get you a lot of chances in the college ranks, even if you're closer to Billy Gillispie than Bruce Pearl on the personality index.

Boston Red
07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Surely you understand that mid-majors are generally less competitive in the recruiting world than the supposed big conference schools right?

I'm just saying that Florida not being a mid-major is sort of meaningless. Penn State, Seton Hall and Oregon State aren't mid-majors either.

All I was responding to was your assertion that Florida is a traditional basketball power. They're not.

joshnky
07-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Let me preface this by saying I don't hate UC and think this signing may turn out well for them. To frame it as some great recruiting coup' is incorrect however. According to http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/29/lances-case-adjourned-again/ Florida, Florida International, Kansas, Maryland and St. John’s had already bowed out. Now there were still some quality schools in the running that Cincy beat out (Pitt and Missouri although I've read that it was really down to just Cincy and Memphis) but it is a fact that many schools stopped recruiting him due to the sexual assault case and fears that you could be looking at a less talented OJ Mayo with the same program-wrecking ability.

But as many have said, this is a move Cronin had to make. Cincinnati basketball was quickly fading into irrelevance and next year looked just as bad before this signing. Given the relative unknowns in the Big East, Cronin might be able to save his job with a top 5 run in the conference and a decent showing in the tourney.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm just saying that Florida not being a mid-major is sort of meaningless. Penn State, Seton Hall and Oregon State aren't mid-majors either.

All I was responding to was your assertion that Florida is a traditional basketball power. They're not.

Well they have won two of the last four national championships. Any to get picky I think I said they're a big time program, not a traditional power.

Redlegs23
07-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Let me preface this by saying I don't hate UC and think this signing may turn out well for them. To frame it as some great recruiting coup' is incorrect however. According to http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/29/lances-case-adjourned-again/ Florida, Florida International, Kansas, Maryland and St. John’s had already bowed out. Now there were still some quality schools in the running that Cincy beat out (Pitt and Missouri although I've read that it was really down to just Cincy and Memphis) but it is a fact that many schools stopped recruiting him due to the sexual assault case and fears that you could be looking at a less talented OJ Mayo with the same program-wrecking ability.

According to Decourcey Florida was still recruiting him as recently as last weekend. Not sure who's right. As for the others, Kansas and Maryland bowed out for reasons other than the sexual assault case and program wrecking ability, not sure why FIU and St. John's did.

SeeinRed
07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Here's what I don't get. If a team "bows out," why should it be assumed they just weren't interested in him because of his baggage. Maybe Lance told them he wasn't interested in him, or the school saw a lack of intrest so they decided to use their efforts in other ways. Maybe some were turned off by his attitude, but I'm guessing that all of these schools would have loved to have him or they wouldn't have put their hats in the ring to begin with. It is a HUGE get for UC considering where they are in the recruiting season and where they are as far as rebuilding. If this works out, that process could be accelerated big time. If not, I can't really see it destroying the UC program. The OJ Mayo comparison might be convenient, but I'm not sure its really that usefull here. OJ went to a school that was absolutely plagued with illegal recruiting practices.

Just like a lot of people believe this recruit to be over-hyped, maybe Lance's problems are over-hyped.

SeeinRed
07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I really like the Heard it From Hoard columns at GoBearcats.com. Sure, its a total homer column and he spins everything in the positive. Still some good information to chew on, even if completely biased.

I understand that you're hesitant.

After growing attached to some great prospects like Vincent Banks, Tyree Evans, and Hernol Hall who signed with Cincinnati but never played for the Bearcats, you're afraid to commit to Lance Stephenson.

I'm here to tell you that it's OK to go crazy.

Sure, he still has to be ruled eligible by the NCAA, but a week ago most of us had no idea that the best unsigned prospect in the country was even considering UC. And now, if the leading scorer in the history of New York state high school basketball is playing college ball this fall, he'll be wearing a Bearcat uniform.

Does anybody still doubt Mick Cronin's ability to sign blue chip recruits?

"We've been trying to recruit Lance for two years, but he was going to Kansas," Coach Cronin told me. "When the coaching changes (Billy Gillespie out, John Calipari in at Kentucky) started happening in the spring and it looked like (former Memphis recruit) Xavier Henry would head to Kansas and Lance may be starting his recruiting process all over, Tony Stubblefield went to work on it and did an unbelievable job. The Kansas situation was tough for Lance's family because they thought he was going there, so they decided to do everything very quietly this time. Tony developed a great relationship and trust level with the family and I can't say enough about how hard he worked on it and what a great job he did."

Stephenson averaged roughly 29 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists last year at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, NY and played in the McDonald's All-America Game. Coach Cronin vividly remembers the first time he saw the 6'5", 200 lb. guard in action.

"It was his sophomore year and he got 40 on St. Patrick's in the Prime Time Shootout against (Villanova's) Corey Fisher among other great players - they were loaded that year," Cronin said. "The thing about Lance that strikes you right away is that he is physically strong. He's a big guard with tremendous strength and explosiveness that can do everything you need to do on the offensive end - he can make shots and make plays. He's the only guy to win four straight New York City titles in the public league and that says a lot right there.

The addition of the kid called "Born Ready" should give Cincinnati one of the highest-rated recruiting classes in the country.

"It ranks right there with the year when we signed DerMarr Johnson and Kenny Satterfield in the same season," Cronin told me. "Jaquon Parker is maybe the most underrated player I've ever seen and Sean Kilpatrick is a tremendous addition for us. Add Lance with those guys and it's going to be a special class. Lance is probably the most decorated recruit to ever sign with Cincinnati because he's been one of the top-rated guys in his class for so long. He's as talented a player as I've ever recruited."

Sure there are some hurdles to clear before Stephenson suits up in the fall, but one issue that Cronin says he's not concerned with is the 18-year-old's reputation for having a bad attitude on the court.

"All I can tell you is that when I look at Lance I see a guy who wants to win and plays extremely hard, and those are the first two qualities I look for in a recruit," Cronin said. "If Lance as a young guy wears that on his sleeve a little bit, it is my job to help him channel his energies and competitiveness. If our team needed anything, it was a tough, hard-nosed guy with high expectations that wants to win big. That was just what the doctor ordered for us to help us compete with the top of the Big East. I welcome everything that Lance brings to the table with his competitiveness between the lines. It's easy to deal with guys that are emotional but play hard."

If high school players could still go directly to the NBA, Stephenson would have probably been a first round draft pick. His college career isn't likely to last for four years.

"His family told (Athletic Director) Mike Thomas that they liked the fact that we talked about how we could help Lance become a better player and grow as a person," Cronin said. "It's very obvious that he wants to play in the NBA and I'm OK with that. He's needs coaching and he needs someone who can help him get better so that he can get to where he wants to go. So our approach is day-to-day. With players of that caliber, they don't need to worry about next year or what's going to happen in the future, they need to focus on becoming a better player every day. Enjoy however long you're in college, enjoy your teammates, enjoy the innocence of it, and that's how I want him to approach things. If you deposit hard work and show people you're a winner, then eventually you're going to cash in big. In our league you had better have some guys who are going to play at the next level. You need to have some winners with some experience and you need to have some guys with next-level talent if you're going to be a competitor in our league. That's just life in the Big East."

Stephenson's commitment has already brought Cincinnati considerable national attention and should help increase television exposure and ticket sales.

"We've made great strides in our program, but we had a long way to go," Cronin said. "We had to totally start over at the bottom and we've made great progress but we've kind of done it quietly in terms of the national scene. Obviously when you sign someone with Lance's talent and notoriety, it's going to put the spotlight on your program and the positive things you're doing to improve your team. Hopefully it helps some of our other guys get the credit they deserve too."

So what was the big moment like when Stephenson gave Coach Cronin the news that he was coming to Cincinnati?

"He's a quiet guy so he said 'yes' with a small crack of a smile," Mick told me. "Then Coach Stubblefield and I went home and did back flips."

I'd love to hear from you. The address is dhoard@pawsox.com.

SeeinRed
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I will say that I've heard from some people that a lot of the Lance Stephenson drama isn't what it seems. Mick is genuinely excited to have gotten him and is very confident in his eligibility. Any reports that major schools weren't interested are false. He was heavily recruited but just as some schools backed off him, he told some that he wasn't interested which is why they supposedly backed off. Nothing earth shattering, but the reports are somewhat misleading.

Mick is by no means desperate at this juncture. He knows he is on the hot seat if he doesn't have a NCAA berth, but he also has been told that he has the support of the school from what I hear. He has a talented enough team for an NCAA berth for probably the first time in his tenure at UC. This is the year you see what kind of coach he is. I hope you don't see the same meltdown at the end of the season, but overall I believe his coaching last year was sold a little short of reality. He's had a pretty tough stretch in his personal life that probably took his concentration off basketball at least a little bit at the end of last season, which is probably no excuse but understandable.

From what I'm told, Lance is a good kid who has been in some pretty tough circumstances. You hear that alot though. There are some who feel like he isn't just a one and done player. We'll see about that.

Any way you slice it, Stephenson is a very talented player who has the ability to bring a very explosive dynamic to the team. Couple him with a very hungry Deonta Vaughn, a true PG in Cashmere Wright, then consider what Yancy can be and I think you have the makings of a very talented ball team. Again, if everything works out. I think there will be some good things happening in The Shoe this year.

My question to everyone is, if Mick gets this team into the NCAA tourney, does he get a break from some of you? I think most have already decided to move on.

Cyclone792
08-15-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm absolutely pumped about UC hoops this year, because this is the first season since they joined the Big East that I feel they have a legitimate shot to make some noise in the conference and around the country.

In my mind, this was always the year for Mick to prove that he's either capable or not, and I think he'll pull through. I will admit that now that we've got Stephenson, my expectations have grown a bit from just make the tourney to now being grab a decent seed in the tourney. In other words, get in without having to worry about being on the bubble.

Either way, the excitement's brewing for me, and I hope it becomes a reality.

travisgrimes
08-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Saw Lance and Cashmere down at BW3's on campus and talked to them both. Lance is a better guys than most people think, and Cashmere definitely has a sense of humor. From what the conversation included: Lance will start at the 3 and some of the highly touted New York high school kids are looking at Cincinnati now as a real possible destination. Also Cashmere mentioned the fact that he has lost a little bit of quickness but improved his 3 point stroke.

bucksfan2
08-15-2009, 10:49 AM
My question to everyone is, if Mick gets this team into the NCAA tourney, does he get a break from some of you? I think most have already decided to move on.

For me it is all about the coaching job he does. Does the team improve from day 1 of the season until the last day of the season? Does the team finish well? Or does it tank like last years?

My biggest gripe with Mick has been his inability to develop talent. He has talented players but you just don't see that development. It took him a year to get on the same page with Yancy last season. That can not happen with Lance. I really worry about that. How well is a guy going to play in a system when he has had the moniker "Born Ready" for years now.

IMO Mick needs the NCAA this season. If he doesn't he will not just be on the hot seat, but in the fire.

SaPYNC
08-25-2009, 05:58 AM
There are several other misunderstood rules, and Ill post them as I get time. Theyre very interesting if youre in to basketball.

SeeinRed
10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, the season is coming up fast and there is a lot to be excited about this year IMO. Mick feels like this is finally his team and he has the horses to make some noise. Sporting News has them as their pre-season #26. Hopefully we can get some bodies in those seats this year for an exciting season.

I ask this before the season, what are your expectations for UC and Mick Cronin going into the year?

Cyclone792
10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, the season is coming up fast and there is a lot to be excited about this year IMO. Mick feels like this is finally his team and he has the horses to make some noise. Sporting News has them as their pre-season #26. Hopefully we can get some bodies in those seats this year for an exciting season.

I ask this before the season, what are your expectations for UC and Mick Cronin going into the year?

I'm looking for 20+ overall wins (10+ Big East wins) in the regular season (excluding Big East tourney) and an NCAA tourney seed rating in the 6-8 range. Maui is going to be the early test to see what we have this season.

The Big East lost a bunch of talent so the conference won't be the super power it was last season, but I still expect it to be one of the top three conferences in the country.

LoganBuck
10-07-2009, 02:18 PM

I assume that Stephenson is enrolled but will he be eligible to play? I haven't heard anything definitive, but I admit to not going out of my way to find out.

SeeinRed
10-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I assume that Stephenson is enrolled but will he be eligible to play? I haven't heard anything definitive, but I admit to not going out of my way to find out.

From everything I've heard he'll be playing. Mick hasn't really worried about it from the beginning and a lot of the issues were played up by some of the colleges who backed out of recruiting him. I've heard a lot of that was done so that they could look better in losing out on him or not recruiting him harder. Thats just conjecture at this point but thats the belief of many. He does come at a price. He will probably be draft bound after 1 year and there is some baggage with him. Mick felt like he was past those problems though. We'll see how it all plays out, but there is a lot to optomistic about.

Cyclone792
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Everything I've read indicates that not only is he eligible, but he's going above and beyond coaches expectations for preparation thus far. If anything remotely negative has gone on regarding the Stephenson situation, it hasn't reached the public yet.

LoganBuck
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Everything I've read indicates that not only is he eligible, but he's going above and beyond coaches expectations for preparation thus far. If anything remotely negative has gone on regarding the Stephenson situation, it hasn't reached the public yet.

Cool I just don't want another Adam H situation where it drags into fall practice, and up until the first game, then the NCAA smashes his eligibility. It is one thing to be allowed to enroll, it is another thing to be eligible to participate.

It should be a fun season.

Cyclone792
10-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Cool I just don't want another Adam H situation where it drags into fall practice, and up until the first game, then the NCAA smashes his eligibility. It is one thing to be allowed to enroll, it is another thing to be eligible to participate.

It should be a fun season.

Scratch that is eligible to should be eligible. The NCAA is still investigating, but what I've read indicates that there doesn't appear to be any reason why he shouldn't be eligible. While there is still a chance for the NCAA to smash his eligibility, it sounds like it's a very small chance.

BearcatShane
10-08-2009, 01:47 AM
I'm probably going to see Lance Friday. I can tell you that while other college kids are out smoking and drinking, Lance is playing his xbox with Sean Kilpatrick patiently awaiting the season. He's all about basketball. My expectations of UC are a Big East Championship.

acredsfan
10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I expect to see UC make it into the NCAA tournament and be one of the teams competing for the Big East Championship. I think this will finally show Mick to be the coach many thought he could be. He's got to do well this year or there will be problems, but I really expect him to finally succeed with the talent he has recruited. Remember, recruiting is his big strength, so we'll see if his players pan out.

NorrisHopper30
10-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm probably going to see Lance Friday. I can tell you that while other college kids are out smoking and drinking, Lance is playing his xbox with Sean Kilpatrick patiently awaiting the season. He's all about basketball. My expectations of UC are a Big East Championship.

I live in the same apartment complex as Lance..I'd love to play him on some xbox because that's the only way i'd be able to beat him in basketball haha.

LoganBuck
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Remember, recruiting is his big strength, so we'll see if his players pan out.

We know that, but after the meltdown at the end of last season, I worry more about his motivational skills and actual coaching skills. I realize the point guard thing caught up to him, but those last games, just stunk, they were depressing to watch.

Reds4Life
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
We know that, but after the meltdown at the end of last season, I worry more about his motivational skills and actual coaching skills. I realize the point guard thing caught up to him, but those last games, just stunk, they were depressing to watch.

Same thing happened the season prior as well. End of the year tank job.

My expectations are:

-20+ wins
-NCAA bid. Even if they lose in the first round, at least make the tournament
-Win at least 1 game in the big east torney (to date, Cronin hasn't won a single big east tourney game)

acredsfan
10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
We know that, but after the meltdown at the end of last season, I worry more about his motivational skills and actual coaching skills. I realize the point guard thing caught up to him, but those last games, just stunk, they were depressing to watch.They tanked after overacheiving for most of the season. I'd suspect that the team was drained physically and emotionally. I'll be willing to forgive them for caving in if they play well this season. They have the team to be one of the top 20 teams this season. You can't even say they had the talent to be a top 30-40 team in the past few seasons.

bucksfan2
10-08-2009, 05:20 PM
They tanked after overacheiving for most of the season. I'd suspect that the team was drained physically and emotionally. I'll be willing to forgive them for caving in if they play well this season. They have the team to be one of the top 20 teams this season. You can't even say they had the talent to be a top 30-40 team in the past few seasons.

IMO a good coach doesn't let his team tank they way they did down the stretch last season. As a fan it was embarrassing to see them as a bubble team and then proceed to miss the NIT tournament. They lost games towards the end of last season due to poor coaching decisions. The loss to S. Florida was unexplainable.

I have tempered my expectations for this season. For Cronin's sake this team needs to be a solid NCAA team. What I am looking forward to seeing is how the ego's mix as the season goes along. I am not a big fan of Gates' attitude. I fear that his attitude along with Stevenson's could be a toxic combination.

However this will be the most talented team Cronin has ever coached. They should have solid senior leadership at the guard position, and Vaughn won't have to shoulder as much as he has in the past. Wright needs to be worth his billing or UC could struggle again.

SeeinRed
10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
IMO a good coach doesn't let his team tank they way they did down the stretch last season. As a fan it was embarrassing to see them as a bubble team and then proceed to miss the NIT tournament. They lost games towards the end of last season due to poor coaching decisions. The loss to S. Florida was unexplainable.

I have tempered my expectations for this season. For Cronin's sake this team needs to be a solid NCAA team. What I am looking forward to seeing is how the ego's mix as the season goes along. I am not a big fan of Gates' attitude. I fear that his attitude along with Stevenson's could be a toxic combination.

However this will be the most talented team Cronin has ever coached. They should have solid senior leadership at the guard position, and Vaughn won't have to shoulder as much as he has in the past. Wright needs to be worth his billing or UC could struggle again.

I don't think that the collapse will happen again. As I've said before, Mick was going through some personal stuff that probably took his focus off his duties as coach for a little while. Its not excusable, but definately understandable. If those same thing happened to a lot of people, their mind isn't exactly 100 percent into their job. I'm sure that played a lot into it and perhaps even more than he would want to admidt.

Mick is pretty excited about this year himself and he is back to focusing on basketball so this will indeed be a good year to judge him as a coach.

I can definately understand your worries though. I think Yancey had some growing up to do and everything that was put in the news about Lance can make you wonder. I believe a lot of the stuff about Lance was way overblown. From everything I've heard he is a very nice, somewhat quiet kid with a lot of talent. Also hearing good things about Gates.

The one thing that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should is how Vaughn seems to give less effort at points during the game than others. Mick has really been trying to light that competitive fire under him, and you may see a new player this year (or maybe not, not that he isn't a good player). He is a laid back guy and Mick really wants him to change that a little. You really can't complain about his performance, but he could give a better effort at times. It's sad because he probably would get a lot more press if he played for a better program the last 3 years.

travisgrimes
10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Guys you have to understand, most big time programs including most of the Big East goes 10 deep in their rotation. Because of injuries and players being ruled ineligible, at best Mick was working with an 8 man rotation. Now that it looks as if everyone will be eligible and healthy IMO he could go 11 deep right now. I say this because other teams were much fresher at the end of last season while the Bearcats were just physically tired and no motivation will help fatigued players.

Cyclone792
10-14-2009, 11:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4557628

Vaughn leads UC … but now has help

CINCINNATI -- In the cartoon, the rabbit wins.

When Bugs Bunny squares off against the Gas House Gorillas -- first base, Bugs Bunny, second base, Bugs Bunny -- thanks to animation and some Looney Tunes, the hare outsmarts the powerful pugs.

In Big East basketball? Bugs would be rabbit stew.

Just ask Deonta Vaughn. For three years, he hasn't been just the best player in a Cincinnati uniform. He has been the player. The senior guard has played 94 games for the Bearcats and played fewer than 30 minutes just 14 times -- seven of those during his freshman season. In Big East games, he's logged less than 30 just twice in his entire career.

Vaughn has been Cincinnati's leading scorer in each of the past three seasons, logging minutes more suitable for a masochist than a basketball player -- from 33 minutes as a rookie to 33.4 as a sophomore to 35.8 as a junior.

"He is the man," Bearcats coach Mick Cronin said. "I know there were times that he was tired, but he'd never say it. He's done some unbelievable things for us, but you can't be Superman every night, and that's what we've needed him to be."

But as the Bearcats ready for practice, Vaughn finds himself with the most priceless commodity a basketball player can ask for: help.

He no longer has to be Bugs Bunny and do it all himself. He finally has a quality cast of teammates who very well could do the unthinkable in the Big East: vault a middle-of-the-road team into the upper echelon.

Should Cincinnati actually succeed, it will be along the lines of storming the Bastille. Since the Big East expanded to 16 teams before the 2005-06 season, only six teams have found their way into the top three in the final regular-season standings: Louisville, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Georgetown, Notre Dame, West Virginia and Villanova.

In other words, it's a more exclusive club than Augusta National.

But with Vaughn, a healthy Cashmere Wright, an ever-improving Yancy Gates and the additions of Oklahoma State transfer Ibrahima Thomas and uber-freshman Lance Stephenson, Cincinnati is poised to make some noise.

"This is a huge year for us," Cronin said. "Huge. Rebuilding this program has been the challenge of a lifetime. To take this job and go through what we've gone through has been tough. To win in this league, you not only have to have talent, you have to have experience. You can't win if you haven't been through it. We've got that mix this year. We've got it."

The true missing link has been a player along the lines of Stephenson, a top-20 recruit who injects much-needed offense and star power into the Bearcats' lineup. He comes to town with baggage and a huge risk quotient, but New York City's all-time leading high school scorer also has the potential to catapult Cincinnati in a hurry should he stay issue-free.

As much as the preseason chatter has surrounded Stephenson, though, ultimately it is Vaughn who will determine where the Bearcats finish. The Big East, with its rugged play and ridiculous scheduling that never permits an exhale, has proved to be a league that can eat up freshmen and spit them out like peach pits.

Teams that win the regular-season title or conference tourney tend to have wily veterans, and rare, if ever, is the team that rides the coattails of a rookie to glory.

In Vaughn, Cincinnati has a player who not only has fought in the league's trenches but also often has taken the hand grenades alone. Many were a night when Vaughn would return to his room achy and exhausted. A hot shower would relax him, but a bang to an inevitably bruised spot on his body would jolt him back to reality in a heartbeat.

He didn't have to sign up for this, of course. Vaughn knew exactly what he was getting into. When Cronin picked up the pieces in 2006 after former coach Bob Huggins and former university president Nancy Zimpher finished sparring, little more than a skeleton of the Bearcats was left.

"We could have had John Wooden at head coach and Mike Krzyzewski as an assistant, and we still wouldn't have won," Cronin said.

Vaughn, an Indianapolis native whose road to Indiana was derailed by prep school, wasn't worried about the Legos he'd have to stack in his career. In fact, he embraced it.

"I don't like easy," said the kid who is one of eight children in his family and fairly accustomed to fighting for every morsel. "If things comes easy, you're not working, you're not improving."

Vaughn got lots of time for working at Cincinnati. In each of the past two preseasons, Cincy has lost a potential starter to injury: Mike Williams tore his ACL in 2007, and Wright tore his ACL just two weeks before the start of practice last season. As the Bearcats rebuilt and fought through those setbacks, Vaughn became almost the entire offense.

"Injury-free, that's what we're going for," Wright said as he reached out to knock wood Tuesday morning.

They're also gunning for the NCAA tournament. From 1992 to 2005, Cincinnati made 14 straight appearances in the Big Dance. But the Cats haven't been back since.

So like most guys who serve as the building block to resurrecting a program, Vaughn has yet to reap the rewards for his work. Every year Selection Sunday rolls around, and every year the Cincinnati televisions are black. The Bearcats' 2008 berth in the College Basketball Invitational has been the lone postseason invite during Vaughn's tenure.

His teammates are well aware.

"Everybody on this team wants to do something special for him," Wright said. "He's worked so hard to build the Bearcats back up, to get this program where it wants to be, but there's still one place he hasn't gone, and we want to take him there: to the NCAA tournament."

Vaughn at once says he doesn't allow himself to imagine it, but then lets himself go, dreaming of the Final Four in his hometown of Indy. He imagines his neighborhood friends and family flocking to Lucas Oil Stadium, a jam-packed I-74 filled with Bearcats fans making the short two-hour drive, much like Michigan State fans poured into Detroit last season.

And then he snaps out of it and gets down to more realistic dreams.

"I look around practice, and we have what we need to be a great team," Vaughn said. "We've got talented players, experienced players. We've got guys who can create their own shots or create for other people. They might even be able to drive the lane and kick to me for a change."

And at last, Bugs Bunny can rest.

Dana O'Neil covers college basketball for ESPN.com and can be reached at espnoneil@live.com.

SeeinRed
10-21-2009, 11:30 AM
From the Enquirer's UC Blog:

UC picked 7th
UC picked 7th
Posted by JoshPichler at 10/21/2009 9:49 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

From Bill Koch at Big East media day:

UC picked to finish 7th in preseason poll. Villanova picked first; West Virginia second.

Deonta Vaughn makes preseason first team.

Lance Stephenson named preseason rookie of the year.

It would be easy to be dissapointed with a 7th place finish, but the Big East is still a pretty good conference. Also, interesting seeing Lance Stephenson as pre-season ROY. I've heard he is absolutely a legit NBA talent right now.

I think there is some confusion over his eligibility. The NCAA is reviewing his eligibility as an amateur. This is not and full out investigation and he will continue to be a part of the team unless the NCAA finds a reason for him to not be considered an amateur. This happens for all top recruits every year and unless something new comes up, which nobody knows about, he will be playing for UC. The burden of proof is on the NCAA. I'll be very suprised if they find any reason for him to not play.

joshnky
10-21-2009, 12:09 PM
It would be easy to be dissapointed with a 7th place finish, but the Big East is still a pretty good conference. Also, interesting seeing Lance Stephenson as pre-season ROY. I've heard he is absolutely a legit NBA talent right now.

The rankings look pretty accurate from what I can tell. Although, it is hard to imagine Marquette and Pittsburgh finishing in the bottom half of the conference despite all they lost. Finishing 7th or 8th probably gets you a seed between 7-10 in the tourney.

Villanova was named the preseason favorite, followed by West Virginia, Connecticut and the Cardinals.

The complete rankings look like this:

1. Villanova
2. West Virginia
3. Connecticut
4. Louisville
5. Georgetown
6. Syracuse
7. Cincinnati
8. Notre Dame
9. Pittsburgh
10. Seton Hall
11. St. John's
12. Marquette
13. Providence
14. South Florida
15. Rutgers
16. Depaul

Sophomore forward Samardo Samuels was the lone Cardinal to garner an individual honor. He was named to the league's second team.

Notre Dame's Luke Harangody was named the Preseason Player of the Year for the second straight season, joining Georgetown legend Patrick Ewing as the only players to receive the honor more than once.

The league's first team - which does not include the player of the year selection - was made up by Greg Monroe of Georgetown, Scottie Reynolds of Villanova, Da'Sean Butler of West Virginia, Lazar Hayward of Marquette and Deonta Vaughn of Cincinnati.

Cincinnati's Lance Stephenson was named preseason Newcomer of the Year.

SeeinRed
10-21-2009, 12:25 PM
The rankings look pretty accurate from what I can tell. Although, it is hard to imagine Marquette and Pittsburgh finishing in the bottom half of the conference despite all they lost. Finishing 7th or 8th probably gets you a seed between 7-10 in the tourney.

Totally agree with the rankings. I just don't think some fans will be as content with a 7th place finish as perhaps they should be. This conference is pretty darn good.

joshnky
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Totally agree with the rankings. I just don't think some fans will be as content with a 7th place finish as perhaps they should be. This conference is pretty darn good.

Definately. I don't think it is as strong at the top this year but the middle is pretty strong and the league could easily get 8 bids if Cincy lives up to their billing or Notre Dame figures out what went wrong last year.

Cyclone792
10-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Dan Hoard blog update ...

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/dan-hoard/

For the fourth consecutive year, Mick Cronin arrived in New York City for Big East media day feeling sick to his stomach.

"It's depressing," Mick told me. "Of all the places to have a stomach bug and not be able to enjoy a good meal. I've been waiting for three months to go out to my favorite restaurant up here and instead I was watching the Yankees in my hotel room."

Still, that beats being nauseous because you've just lost a key player.

In his first year, UC lost Hernol Hall and Adam Hrycaniuk due to eligibility issues. In Mick's second year, Mike Williams tore his Achilles tendon before the season. And last year, Cashmere Wright went down with a knee injury just before Cronin headed to the Big Apple.

"Last year while we were here I got the call that Cashmere was out for the year, so I was regurgitating while I was here anyway. I'd rather be here with a stomach bug and optimism about the upcoming season than to have a nice dinner while coaching a rebuilding team."

The rebuilding phase appears to be over. Cincinnati was picked to finish seventh in the Preseason Coaches' Poll - ahead of Pitt, Notre Dame, and Marquette - and a Top 7 finish in the Big East would almost certainly mean a return to the NCAA Tournament.

"I didn't know where we were going to be picked and didn't have any expectations on where we should be picked," said sophomore Yancy Gates. "Being picked seventh isn't bad - in other conferences that wouldn't mean very much, but in the Big East that could mean an NCAA bid."

"Cincinnati is a tough, hard-nosed team that has most of their players returning and with a great recruit like Lance (Stephenson) coming in, there's no telling how good they can be," Louisville guard Edgar Sosa told me. "Cincinnati is definitely a team to look out for in the Big East."

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins answered "Cincinnati" when a reporter asked him to identify his dark horse pick to contend this year.

"Cincinnati is really talented," Huggins said. "I think Yancy Gates is as talented as any power forward in the league. Lance Stephenson is a very talented guy. Deonta Vaughn is a first team all-Big East guy. Cashmere Wright is extremely talented and then Mick's got about six guys that are 6'6" or bigger that fill a role for him. I think they're really, really talented. They're experienced and they've been through it before. I think Cincinnati and Seton Hall have a chance to make a huge jump."

Vaughn was one of six players named to the Preseason All-Big East First Team and Stephenson was named Preseason Rookie of the Year. Connecticut and West Virginia were the only other schools to have at least two players receive preseason individual honors.

"To win this league you have to have guys who are named all-league or all-freshman," Coach Cronin said. "It means you have talent and you're not going to win in this league without talent."

A dilemma that Mick no longer has to stomach.

Cyclone792
10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Just picked up Bearcat Lair season tickets for $158 out the door per ticket.

If anybody has the ability to get to a lot of games this season, I would seriously encourage looking up the Bearcat Lair season ticket package because it is an amazing deal. The Bearcat Lair ticket package is good for all upper deck seats in rows 16-31. The upper deck seats in the corners are awful, however, the package lets you get upper deck seats directly at center court. So if you wanted say, section 205 you can still get seats in rows 21-22 or thereabouts, and those are significantly better seats than being in the corners up in row 30.

With 18 total games, that works out to a little less than $9 per game to get in the building and sit at center court. Five years ago it was twice that much just to get in and sit up in the top row in the corner. It's obvious that UC is doing a push to rebuild its season ticket base, and they've put a great deal together to do just that.

NorrisHopper30
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
That would be a great investment, this team is gonna be special this year. Fortunately as a student I get free tickets right behind the hoops :).

Cyclone792
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
That would be a great investment, this team is gonna be special this year. Fortunately as a student I get free tickets right behind the hoops :).

I had my glory days behind the hoop several years ago and pretty much lived there during the reign of Steve Logan and Jason Maxiell. One of those games was also the best UC game I've ever seen in person was Logan's duel with DaJuan Wagner of Memphis in 2002, the same game that also featured Logan's buzzer beating runner in the lane. I remember seeing that game on ESPN Classic a few years ago and seeing myself in the bleachers behind the basket on TV. That was a bit weird, but still pretty cool.

joshnky
10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Steve Logan and Jason Maxiell

I was a huge Bearcat fan back in the day when they had Logan and then Fortson in previous years. It was easy to enjoy a rare shooter like Logan who could easily get hot and put up 30 points.

Jodie Meeks was that kind of player last year, of course I hated him. ;)

joshnky
10-24-2009, 04:17 PM
An outsiders point of view on the Cincy scrimmage and Stephenson (via Rick Bozich at the Courier-Journal):

The Lance Stephenson Show
Went to a Cincinnati basketball scrimmage prior to the kickoff of the Louisville-UC football game.

Wanted to see Mick Cronin's team, especially freshman guard Lance Stephenson.

Nice player. Can shoot the three, get to the rim and has a decent mid-range game.

My only question: Will he pass the ball enough?

It was only a 20-minute scrimmage with a five-minute overtime. But Jody Demling, C.L. Brown and I estimated that Stephenson shot the ball on close to 75 percent of his team's possessions.

He's a big kid who will be a mismatch problem for most guards he encounters.

Cincinnati will be an improved team with an excellent chance to make the NCAA Tournament.

Matt700wlw
11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I think they HAVE to make the NCAA tournament this year...it's part of the rebuilding process. It's time to start making their name known again. I'd be plenty happy with more, though. :)

BearcatShane
11-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I can't wait for the year, they have a chance to be very good.

NatiRedGals
11-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Just picked up Bearcat Lair season tickets for $158 out the door per ticket.

If anybody has the ability to get to a lot of games this season, I would seriously encourage looking up the Bearcat Lair season ticket package because it is an amazing deal. The Bearcat Lair ticket package is good for all upper deck seats in rows 16-31. The upper deck seats in the corners are awful, however, the package lets you get upper deck seats directly at center court. So if you wanted say, section 205 you can still get seats in rows 21-22 or thereabouts, and those are significantly better seats than being in the corners up in row 30.

With 18 total games, that works out to a little less than $9 per game to get in the building and sit at center court. Five years ago it was twice that much just to get in and sit up in the top row in the corner. It's obvious that UC is doing a push to rebuild its season ticket base, and they've put a great deal together to do just that.

Yep got mine for $150 total. Came in the mail on Monday. I am dead center court section 221 Row 17. Will you be at the game Thursday night Cyclone? I am thinking about going to see this new and improved team in action.:beerme:

Boss-Hog
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I picked up two Bearcat Lair season tickets, too. :thumbup:

reds1869
11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I hope the Cats are good this year. As an X fan, I think it is in everyone's best interest when both teams in the Crosstown Shootout are on top of their game. This could be an exciting winter for local sports, with X and UC hoops, UC football, the Cyclones and the Bengals all being fun to watch.

SeeinRed
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I hope the Cats are good this year. As an X fan, I think it is in everyone's best interest when both teams in the Crosstown Shootout are on top of their game. This could be an exciting winter for local sports, with X and UC hoops, UC football, the Cyclones and the Bengals all being fun to watch.

Xavier is only a rival once a year in my book. I do hate them during that game, but I will pull for them any other time, especially in the tourney. Cincinnati sports fans should be really excited about their options for winter sports.

SeeinRed
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Haven't seen anything posted about this yet suprisingly, but UC should get final word on Stephenson today. I fully expect him to be cleared from everything I've heard.

acredsfan
11-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm very excited about this season, and I also will pull for Xavier every game but the shootout. I think UC can surprise a lot of people this year, but I am a little reluctant to get overly excited because of the youth on the team. Either way, it should be an exciting season.

Cyclone792
11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Xavier is only a rival once a year in my book. I do hate them during that game, but I will pull for them any other time, especially in the tourney. Cincinnati sports fans should be really excited about their options for winter sports.

I'm the same way. And considering that Xavier is on our non-conference schedule every year, it's a good thing that they are a very good program. Playing quality non-conference opponents is never a bad thing.

Boss-Hog
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Same here.

SeeinRed
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
DeCourcy says that Stephenson has had the most impressive pre-season showing so far in this article from Sporting News Today:

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20091105?sub_id=Bp7ljGs7n4aak&folio=CGI#pg41

Sea Ray
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
DeCourcy says that Stephenson has had the most impressive pre-season showing so far in this article from Sporting News Today:

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20091105?sub_id=Bp7ljGs7n4aak&folio=CGI#pg41

What's taking so long in getting him eligible? I'm going down tonight and I'm looking forward to seeing all these new guys

SeeinRed
11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
What's taking so long in getting him eligible?

The NCAA doesn't do anything fast. They are waiting on "official" word, but I don't really think Mick is sweating it all that much. It's pretty much just an issue of how long it will take now.

Cyclone792
11-05-2009, 03:01 PM
The latest rumor I've heard - and this is strictly a rumor so it may not be worth much more than pulling information out of thin air - is that Lance will get a three game suspension (both exhibition games and the first regular season game).

Take that rumor for what it's worth, which is probably very little.

NorrisHopper30
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
The latest rumor I've heard - and this is strictly a rumor so it may not be worth much more than pulling information out of thin air - is that Lance will get a three game suspension (both exhibition games and the first regular season game).

Take that rumor for what it's worth, which is probably very little.

That's what I've been hearing for days.

paintmered
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
The ruling is in.....

He's eligible and playing tonight!! :jump:

Cincinnati freshman guard Lance Stephenson has been ruled eligible by the NCAA and won’t miss any games, according to sources.

Cincinnati was informed early Thursday evening and Stephenson will be eligible to play in Thursday’s exhibition against Saginaw Valley State.

The 6-foot-5 Stephenson was being investigated by the NCAA for amateurism issues presumably related to his involvement in the “Born Ready” Internet series and a film called “Gunnin’ For That No. 1 Spot.”

The all-time leading scorer in New York State history during his career at Brooklyn Lincoln High School, Stephenson was named the Big East Preseason Rookie of the Year.

He recently scored 22 points in 25 minutes in a scrimmage, impressing observers.

“The guy can play offense,” Bearcats coach Mick Cronin told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “He’s got a lot of natural, God-given ability. I think our style of play will help Lance.”

Stephenson chose Cincinnati in June, a story first reported by SNY.tv.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/05/lance-stephenson-ruled-eligible/

Edit: Andy Katz is reporting the same via Twitter. http://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz

SeeinRed
11-05-2009, 06:50 PM
The ruling is in.....

He's eligible and playing tonight!! :jump:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/05/lance-stephenson-ruled-eligible/

I will expect a full report by anyone in attendance tonight.
:D

NatiRedGals
11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I will expect a full report by anyone in attendance tonight.
:D

Im going tonight!! :) Leaving now!

SeeinRed
11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
For those who perhaps did not know, you can watch the game for free on gobearcats.com. Not the best quality, but I've been impressed with UC so far. Not a great opponent, but still pretty good showing so far.

BearcatShane
11-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Lance looked like a freshman at times. He had 9 points in limited action off the bench. 4-14 shooting, that will improve. He is a great passer, he'll be fun to watch. So will this team once they get everything set.

NorrisHopper30
11-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Fun game, can't wait for the actual season to start. Darnell Wilks was most impressive to me and Cashmere/JaQuon both handled the point well (10ast/2To total).

SeeinRed
11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I only watched the first half, but I've always thought Wilks could become they type of spark plug that James White was. He's an athletic high flyer that can be exciting to watch at times. I'm not sure he will be as good as White, but he can definately give you a spark off the bench.

Parker's hands are amazingly fast. He can definately cause some problems on defense. I thought it looked like Stephenson was trying a little too hard at times. Looks like he may run into some foul trouble from time to time. Maybe the excitement of the everything was getting to him a little bit. Overall, not a bad performance by the Bearcats. Shake off some of that rust and we might have a pretty exciting team to watch this year.

bucksfan2
11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Lance may be the key to Cronin. Cronin got a seat at the big boys table with Lance, but he has to prove he can coach him. He has to prove that he can coach the one and done player and keep that player happy. On the other hand he has to find out if a one and done player is worth the trouble. Thad Matta is learning that lesson as we speak. Koufos and Mullens were nice players, but they didn't have near the impact a Evan Turner has.

At least this season UC will be exciting and have the horses to compete in the Big East.

Sea Ray
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Stephens looked smooth, fluid and quick with his first shot but then struggled. He did try to do too much and overall the team looked a lot like it was the first exhibition game. Not much teamwork or passing going on. Mainly 5 guys out there free lancing and doing their own thing. McClain needs to get a little meaner. It's like he's been told to be gentle out there. Huggins would have a little talkin' to him I'm sure. He's 7 ft guarded by a guy half a foot shorter...dunk the thing! They are a work in progress.

SeeinRed
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Stephens looked smooth, fluid and quick with his first shot but then struggled. He did try to do too much and overall the team looked a lot like it was the first exhibition game. Not much teamwork or passing going on. Mainly 5 guys out there free lancing and doing their own thing. McClain needs to get a little meaner. It's like he's been told to be gentle out there. Huggins would have a little talkin' to him I'm sure. He's 7 ft guarded by a guy half a foot shorter...dunk the thing! They are a work in progress.

Mick didn't have them running many offensive plays if any at all, so that didn't worry me so much. That will improve with time. I had some hope that McClain would be a stronger force under the basket, but like you I didn't see it yesterday. He did seem to move around a little better though. I did like that from the first half I watched he kept the ball over his head when the pass was in the post. Its a huge pet peave of mine when a big guy brings the ball down to try and make a move. Like you said, use that height.

Thanks for the reports from everybody BTW. The video was quite grainy online. It is probably how I'll have to watch the next one also, so I'd be interested to hear reports from those there in person again. Especially if you went last night so you can tell me if you noticed any improvement.

Sea Ray
11-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Another thing I noticed were a lot of bodies. A very full bench. There's going to be a lot of competition for court time. Huggins would eat that up. It's very early but I think this team will go as far as its defense takes it. They gave up a lot of easy layups yesterday but they have the potential to be a good defensive team due to their quickness.

It remains to be seen how Mick can coach but I'll give him this: he can recruit.

I'll probably be going to lots of games so I'll keep coming back here. I have a buddy with great seats and funny, he rarely can fill them all so it's the least I can do to help him out...

SeeinRed
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Ok, so this is just something I've been thinking about while watching some college football. I've been thinking about how difficult of a situation UC Basketball is in for winning fans back, especially the situation Cronin walked into. There are a number of things working against them, some in the past, some in the present. I'm beginning to wonder if UC Fans will ever be happy again.

1. Bob Huggins really raised expectations. People have to remember where UC baskeball was when Huggs came to town. They were not very good to say the least. Huggs ressurected the program and will probably be looked at as one of if not the biggest contributors to UC sports history once we get far enough to look back of the enormitiy of what he did. Could you imagine being the succesor to that type of era?

2. UC isn't in C-USA anymore. The chances of complete domination that was expected during Huggs tenure is nearly un-attainable. The Big East has a tendency to eat you up during the season. I fear many fans expect the same type of results in the BE.

3. Fox 19 dropped its covereage of the Bearcats. Sure it seems like a small deal, but think about the impact of not being able to see your team on local TV. A lot of games won't even be broadcast this year. Fans have and will become apathetic in small part because of the loss of local broadcasting.

All in all, I see this as the same type of stigma that the Reds have had to shake in the past. There will probably never be another BRM, and UC basketball will probably never see the same type of year in and year out dominance that those Huggs teams did. This is a crucial year for UC basketball. They can get fans back because the Huggins wounds are starting to heal. The longer it takes however, the harder it is to win people back. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know that UC can fully recover.

NorrisHopper30
11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I think UC will fully recover and even be strong with Mick Cronin than they were with Huggins. Being in the Big East is a huge recruiting tool and we have great facilities. Mick is in on some BIG names for the next few years recruiting wise, for those who don't follow recruiting you'll have to wait a few years to see them..but the future is bright.

BearcatShane
11-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Win 22 games a year, and they will come. Trust me. I know this town.

SeeinRed
11-13-2009, 09:25 AM
So, I didn't get to watch the game last night. Was there anybody in attendance to give a rundown of last night?

bucksfan2
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Ok, so this is just something I've been thinking about while watching some college football. I've been thinking about how difficult of a situation UC Basketball is in for winning fans back, especially the situation Cronin walked into. There are a number of things working against them, some in the past, some in the present. I'm beginning to wonder if UC Fans will ever be happy again.

1. Bob Huggins really raised expectations. People have to remember where UC baskeball was when Huggs came to town. They were not very good to say the least. Huggs ressurected the program and will probably be looked at as one of if not the biggest contributors to UC sports history once we get far enough to look back of the enormitiy of what he did. Could you imagine being the succesor to that type of era?

2. UC isn't in C-USA anymore. The chances of complete domination that was expected during Huggs tenure is nearly un-attainable. The Big East has a tendency to eat you up during the season. I fear many fans expect the same type of results in the BE.

3. Fox 19 dropped its covereage of the Bearcats. Sure it seems like a small deal, but think about the impact of not being able to see your team on local TV. A lot of games won't even be broadcast this year. Fans have and will become apathetic in small part because of the loss of local broadcasting.

All in all, I see this as the same type of stigma that the Reds have had to shake in the past. There will probably never be another BRM, and UC basketball will probably never see the same type of year in and year out dominance that those Huggs teams did. This is a crucial year for UC basketball. They can get fans back because the Huggins wounds are starting to heal. The longer it takes however, the harder it is to win people back. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know that UC can fully recover.

1. Huggins will always be associated with the program. But if you ask me his mercenary approach over the past few years has really turned me off on the guy. He got fat and lazy during his last few years at UC and it really showed. He wasn't getting the type of recruits he had in the past. In hindsight it may have been a blessing in disguise that Huggins left the program.

2. Very true. Unless Cronin builds a very special team there won't be anymore 2-3-4 loss seasons. The Big East is a much tougher conference and the regular season record may suffer, but the team will be better tournament tested going into the NCAA.

3. I was disappointed at first but ESPN and its family of networks agreed to pick up every Big East conference game. I thought Fox 19 was picking up a handful of the other games.

The recruiting is headed back in the right direction. If Cronin can learn to coach up his recruits UC can be put back on the map. I think a tournament run will bring a lot of the fans back. Heck I think fans of UC athletics are at an all time high with the football program, if basketball has a successful season it will be just fine.

NatiRedGals
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
So, I didn't get to watch the game last night. Was there anybody in attendance to give a rundown of last night?

I was there. For some reason it seems Mick dosent reaply wanna run plays in the preseason? Atleast I hope we run plays Monday night. It seemed like a game of street ball. Teams were getting 4-5 shots each possession. Sometimes whoever had the ball just boom straight towards the basket everytime. Vaughn i think was told dont touch the ball tonight or if you do dont shoot more then 5 times. Lance looked much better but his defense brought him down again. Was nice to see Wilks do so good. Should have never been as close as it was to end the game Bell went on a 10-1 run. Only reason we scored once was because foul to get them the ball back. IDK what happend.

BearcatShane
11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, the start to a very, very important season for the UC basketball program will get underway tomorrow evening as UC takes on Byron Rimm II's Praire View A&M team. It seems like just yesterday I was watching an 0-18 in Big East play Depaul team dominate UC on a crappy internet feed. The excusues are over. Mick has the horses he needs to get UC back into the NCAA Tournament and be a Big East Contender. Vaughn, Gates, Stephenson, Thomas, Wright and others are all very talented and they are Big East caliber players. Watch out for Dion Dixon this year, that kid reminds me of the old school Bearcats. I look for him to play a huge role for the Cats this year. The season starts now, I don't care about the lackluster play in the exhibition games, Mick was substituting players every two seconds. This is where it counts and he better come through or else he will be on the hot seat. Big time. I am 110 percent in his corner but this team absolutely has to get back to the Tournament. I miss the days of huge games with packed houses at the Shoe. Mick's got the players to bring that back now. The rebuliding is done, the excuses are over. It's time to SHUT UP AND WIN!!!

paintmered
11-15-2009, 11:38 PM
This is the deepest and most talented Bearcats team since 2001-2002. There are no remaining excuses and I fully expect many of the questions surrounded Coach Cronin to be answered one way or another by the end of March.

That said, if any of you are on the fence about buying some tickets this year, do it. Do it now. This team is worth supporting.

Matt700wlw
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Cats in the opener looking pretty bad. Actually, they look awful.

Reds4Life
11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
UC managed to win, but the game was truly pathetic. The first half is one of the worst halfs I can remember from nearly any UC team. They did NOTHING to run an offense, just threw up 3 pointer after 3 pointer. Didn't even attempt to work the ball inside or attack the rim in any fashion.

I have a lot of concerns about this season. The team looks like it hasn't been coached at all. This has been a hallmark of the Cronin era, zero improvement throughout the season. This team hasn't improved one bit from the exhibition games, and still makes horrible decisions while Mick stands on the sideline and does nothing.

Cyclone792
11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Yep, tonight's first half was absolutely brutal. UC played decent in the second half, but they're rather fortunate to come away with a victory after their first half performance. I thought their exhibition performances was Cronin just trying to mix up different combinations, but the lackluster performance in those games just carried over to tonight. This team's got talent, but man ... they've just simply got to play better as a team, especially on the offensive side of the floor.

UC has Toledo on Wednesday, then Maui next week. If they don't clean up their act quick, Maui could be ugly.

LoganBuck
11-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Yep, tonight's first half was absolutely brutal. UC played decent in the second half, but they're rather fortunate to come away with a victory after their first half performance. I thought their exhibition performances was Cronin just trying to mix up different combinations, but the lackluster performance in those games just carried over to tonight. This team's got talent, but man ... they've just simply got to play better as a team, especially on the offensive side of the floor.

UC has Toledo on Wednesday, then Maui next week. If they don't clean up their act quick, Maui could be ugly.

Dan and Chuck on the broadcast made it sound as if they would rather have a root canal than watch that first half.

Boss-Hog
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought season tickets this year, so I'll be headed down to quite a few games. With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations on where to park for basketball games? After driving around for a bit last night and not finding anything on the street, I finally bit the bullet and paid $8 to park in the Campus Green Garage on MLK. Moving forward, though, I'd really prefer not to pay as much to park as the ticket cost me. Any advice from those more familiar with the area and going to games would be appreciated.

BearcatShane
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
That first 15 minutes of the game yesterday.... My goooooodness. I'm expecting a much, much better showing tomorow vs Toledo.

Cyclone792
11-18-2009, 06:39 AM
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought season tickets this year, so I'll be headed down to quite a few games. With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations on where to park for basketball games? After driving around for a bit last night and not finding anything on the street, I finally bit the bullet and paid $8 to park in the Campus Green Garage on MLK. Moving forward, though, I'd really prefer not to pay as much to park as the ticket cost me. Any advice from those more familiar with the area and going to games would be appreciated.

Included with my season ticket package (part of the big sheet of tickets in the mail) was a season parking pass to the Kingsgate Marriott Garage. Did you get that same parking pass? I just present it to the front desk of the hotel and they'll hand me a ticket to get out of the garage for free. It's a bit of a hike, but it's free with the pass and the garage is much warmer than the cold winter nights we'll soon see.

Boss-Hog
11-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Included with my season ticket package (part of the big sheet of tickets in the mail) was a season parking pass to the Kingsgate Marriott Garage. Did you get that same parking pass? I just present it to the front desk of the hotel and they'll hand me a ticket to get out of the garage for free. It's a bit of a hike, but it's free with the pass and the garage is much warmer than the cold winter nights we'll soon see.
Good looking out, Cyclone - didn't even realize I had that. Thanks so much for your help. :)

Roy Tucker
11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Do not park in the shopping center lot at Jefferson and Calhoun. I have a $108 towing fee to prove it.

Boss-Hog
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Do not park in the shopping center lot at Jefferson and Calhoun. I have a $108 towing fee to prove it.
Agreed - I've made that mistake before, too. I'll never make it again. :)

SeeinRed
11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Well, UC put out a better effort tonight. Still a lot of room for improvement, but it was nice to see. Seems this team is a little to eager to shoot the three. Stephenson still looked a little rough at times but definately flashed some of his ability. I really liked how Bishop played. He was tenacious on the interior. He seemed to be the only Bearcat trying to rebound at times. Wright still appears to be feeling out the offense but I really think he will provide some solid play from the PG position. Gates seems to be more determined this year. We'll see how everything goes but this team appears to have the depth that it has lacked and will only get better once Thomas is eligible.

All in all, I think there will be plenty of excitement around this team this year. Who was there and how did they look in person?

Cyclone792
11-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I was down there, and they looked decent in person, certainly much better than they looked in either exhibition game or the Prairie View game.

But like you said, there is still room for improvement, particularly on the defensive end where they gave Toledo way too many open looks. On the offensive end, I'd like to get away from sets where they simply pass the ball around the perimeter until somebody chucks up a jump shot. I'd love to see more driving to the hole, and I'd especially love to see more movement, backdoor screens, cuts, etc. from guys without the ball while running the offense.

Maui will show us a lot starting Monday. Vandy's not a bad team so we'll see how we stack up with some competition now.

SeeinRed
11-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I was down there, and they looked decent in person, certainly much better than they looked in either exhibition game or the Prairie View game.

But like you said, there is still room for improvement, particularly on the defensive end where they gave Toledo way too many open looks. On the offensive end, I'd like to get away from sets where they simply pass the ball around the perimeter until somebody chucks up a jump shot. I'd love to see more driving to the hole, and I'd especially love to see more movement, backdoor screens, cuts, etc. from guys without the ball while running the offense.

Maui will show us a lot starting Monday. Vandy's not a bad team so we'll see how we stack up with some competition now.

You would think you would see more dribble penetration from Wright and even Stephenson. Both have the ability to do it and it would open up so much more on the offensive side. I still don't think Mick has them running all the offensive sets we will see.

Redlegs23
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM

100% agree with what you said. Yesterday was better than what they've showed us so far, but man it would be great to see them attack the basket more on offense. They seem to fall in love with the three way too much.

Boss-Hog
11-20-2009, 02:00 AM
100% agree with what you said. Yesterday was better than what they've showed us so far, but man it would be great to see them attack the basket more on offense. They seem to fall in love with the three way too much.
Agreed with this post and the few above it - unfortunately, I don't think they're a great three point shooting team, either. They have a couple of guys that can hit some long range shots but I'd much prefer them driving to the basketball over shooting threes.

Cyclone792
11-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Just thought this was interesting ... while the Big East has had some close calls, and while obviously there are a pile of cupcakes included, as a conference all Big East teams are a combined 35-0 right now.

BearcatShane
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
UC plays Vanderbilt tomorrow in the first round of the Maui Invitational. Could be a nice resume win.

texasdave
11-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Here is a bracket. Every game is on the ESPN family of networks so you should be able to catch the Bearcats at least twice.

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/assets/bracket/2009.MIT.Bracket.FINALwithTeams.pdf

Monday's game is on ESPN2 at 5:30 EST.

If the Bearcats lose to Vandy they will probably play host team Chaminade at 8:30 in the morning local time. LOL. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

BearcatShane
11-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Here is a bracket. Every game is on the ESPN family of networks so you should be able to catch the Bearcats at least twice.

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/assets/bracket/2009.MIT.Bracket.FINALwithTeams.pdf

Monday's game is on ESPN2 at 5:30 EST.

If the Bearcats lose to Vandy they will probably play host team Chaminade at 8:30 in the morning local time. LOL. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

It would be 1:30 here in Cincinnati.

texasdave
11-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Cincy up 12-4 over Vandy early. UC has some athletes this year. A monster putback slam by Bishop.

texasdave
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
TV timeout at the 11 minute mark and the Bearcats are having their way - 18 -6.

GIDP
11-23-2009, 07:03 PM
looking good

dougdirt
11-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Yancy Gates thinks he can pull a Steve Logan/Southern Miss today....

texasdave
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
36-24 good guys at the half.