PDA

View Full Version : UC Basketball

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cyclone792
11-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I've been able to watch bits and pieces of the UC hoops game tonight, and while UC is playing a nobody in Texas Southern, I like what I'm seeing. This squad is young and is going to have its ups and downs, but it's becoming apparent real quick that we should start to see a whole lot more ups than we've seen in the last two years.

Yancy Gates and Steve Toyloy look like an excellent combo in the paint, something UC has desperately needed for a couple years now.

It'll be nice to get a few early wins and head into the Las Vegas invitational against Florida State playing well and with some confidence.

Redlegs23
11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
They're much, much more talented than last year. So far they look like they're way ahead of where they were last year, but it's tough to get a good grasp on how good they are until they start playing some better competition.

Cyclone792
11-19-2008, 07:14 PM
This should help people get in the mood for some UC hoops:

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oas-mediaplayer.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/cinn/08-09/video/m-baskbl/11nov/111808_MBBHistory_mbasket_vid.wmv&school=cinn&

camisadelgolf
11-19-2008, 07:38 PM

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oas-mediaplayer.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/cinn/08-09/video/m-baskbl/11nov/111808_MBBHistory_mbasket_vid.wmv&school=cinn&

It makes my browser (Firefox 3.0.4) crash. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

dougdirt
11-19-2008, 07:44 PM

As the video gets along I am thinking 'how in the heck did they not show Y clip' as its going in chronological order.... of course, come to find out, it ends the video. I was really confused how it was omitted until the end.

Cyclone792
11-19-2008, 07:48 PM
It makes my browser (Firefox 3.0.4) crash. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Works fine in IE for me.

As the video gets along I am thinking 'how in the heck did they not show Y clip' as its going in chronological order.... of course, come to find out, it ends the video. I was really confused how it was omitted until the end.

Yep, I thought that too the first time I watched it.

I was in the student section directly behind the basket for Logan's shot against Memphis. I could probably pick myself out standing in the bleachers if I could ever see that view in high def on a 50 inch widescreen.

BTW, this is one of the videos UC plays before home games this season. Great stuff, IMO. Too many current UC students are probably unaware of great UC hoops, but hopefully that'll turn around starting this season.

dougdirt
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM

Worked fine for me and Firefox 3.0.4

camisadelgolf
11-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Worked fine for me and Firefox 3.0.4

It's working fine for me now.

NatiRedGals
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Yep thinking the same thing I know we have not played like this for awhile but just to see blowouts is nice. every game last year was a grind them out type of game. I am hoping the way we play early gives us the energy we need to thrive once big east play comes around I am looking forward to it and plan on going to a lot of games with my cousin! GO UC FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL!!!

Cyclone792
11-23-2008, 04:41 PM
UC is participating in the Global Sports Classic this year, and the tournament has kicked off already. UC started with their victory against Western Illinois, and up next is Coastal Carolina down at the Shoe.

The two games I'm looking forward to are the Florida State game on November 28th and the follow-up game with either Cal or UNLV on November 29th. While none of these teams are going to be powerhouses, it'll be nice to see how UC's vastly improved talent can do against teams that are a bit better than Texas Southern and Western Illinois.

NorrisHopper30
11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I've been to two games so far and plan on going to the game tomorrow. Love the youth and passion I've seen so far, fun to watch!

BearcatShane
11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
UC is a real sleeper. They have a ton of talent, and it's all young.

paintmered
11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
The talent level is an order of magnitude greater than last year's team. However, I'm not sure it's going to materialize this year. UC is really going to struggle to contain some of the quicker guards in Big East play. Playing without a point guard will really hurt this team.

Nevertheless, it's going to be a joy to watch this team grow. I believe they have the talent to make it deep into the tournament, we just may have to wait another year to watch it happen.

NatiRedGals
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Anyone have tickets to the Crosstown Shootout? So far ebay only has a few offers and well out of price range lol

paintmered
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Bump. FYI: Tonight's game against Coastal Carolina is on Fox Sports Ohio.

GoReds33
11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Bump. FYI: Tonight's game against Coastal Carolina is on Fox Sports Ohio.Why isn't it listed?

paintmered
11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm...maybe not. I could have sworn it was on TV tonight. :(

GoReds33
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Hmm...maybe not. I could have sworn it was on TV tonight. :(I heard it's on channelsurfing.net, so you can try it there.

NorrisHopper30
11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I heard it's on channelsurfing.net, so you can try it there.

Yes it is.

The Global Sports Classic games will not be on FSN. This will include the Florida State and UNLV/Cal games from what I understand, which is very disappointing.

NatiRedGals
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks ya for some reason odd ball miami game who cares

paintmered
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I heard it's on channelsurfing.net, so you can try it there.

I've got video through them, but no audio. Fortunately, WLW is streaming the game.

Edit: now there's audio, but WLW's quality is better.

NatiRedGals
11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I've got video through them, but no audio. Fortunately, WLW is streaming the game.

I think audio starts once the actual game starts

Yes their is now audio

paintmered
11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Biggie McClain has already played the best half of his career. Bearcats now up 45-32 with 1:45 in the 1st.

NatiRedGals
11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
45 - 37 at half

UC held Carolina scoreless for 8 mins and 22 secs to start the 2nd half..

Score is now 66-41 with 8:52 Left

82 - 56 final

4-0 Baby!

Next Game: Friday
Florida State 10:30 pm ET

Boston Red
11-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Anyone have tickets to the Crosstown Shootout? So far ebay only has a few offers and well out of price range lol

As of yesterday, UC was still selling them on its website.

NatiRedGals
11-26-2008, 10:31 AM
As of yesterday, UC was still selling them on its website.

Yep I noticed 40 bucks but all i could find is row 26 at the very top i dont mind paying 40 to sit closer but im not gonna pay 40 to sit on the roof lol

I sat in row 15 of section 208 last year and i dont mind those i dont mind high seats but not 40 buck high row seats.

Cyclone792
12-21-2008, 11:34 AM
So UC escapes Eastern Kentucky last night in OT and now sits at 9-2. Both their losses are quality losses (Xavier at home and vs. Florida State on a neutral floor), and UC has managed to pick up a few quality wins by beating UNLV on the road and beating UAB at home. Mississippi State has a chance to become a quality win if they can do some damage in the SEC, but as of now it looks like they're a bottom tier SEC team.

Just as importantly, however, and something that shouldn't be overlooked ... UC has managed to take care of business against every cupcake team thus far this season. If they can beat Arkansas Pine Bluff they'll be sitting at 10 non-conference wins. If they go down to Memphis and beat the Tigers on the road, they've got a shot at 11 non-conference wins. Nevertheless, an 11-2 or 10-3 non-conference record heading into Big East play is nice to see, because they're giving themselves a chance to reach the NCAAs.

If UC can win 10 Big East games, they'll grab 20 wins and will be in the discussion for an NCAA bid.

NatiRedGals
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
So UC escapes Eastern Kentucky last night in OT and now sits at 9-2. Both their losses are quality losses (Xavier at home and vs. Florida State on a neutral floor), and UC has managed to pick up a few quality wins by beating UNLV on the road and beating UAB at home. Mississippi State has a chance to become a quality win if they can do some damage in the SEC, but as of now it looks like they're a bottom tier SEC team.

Just as importantly, however, and something that shouldn't be overlooked ... UC has managed to take care of business against every cupcake team thus far this season. If they can beat Arkansas Pine Bluff they'll be sitting at 10 non-conference wins. If they go down to Memphis and beat the Tigers on the road, they've got a shot at 11 non-conference wins. Nevertheless, an 11-2 or 10-3 non-conference record heading into Big East play is nice to see, because they're giving themselves a chance to reach the NCAAs.

If UC can win 10 Big East games, they'll grab 20 wins and will be in the discussion for an NCAA bid.

If they keep playing like they are there sure is no reason for them not to make it. With that said I was pissed last night when with 4.2 seconds left FSN OHIO turns off the game! And puts on Blue jackets hockey pre show ? I mean what is the point of that total bull i live in Fairfield 20 mins away from UC! Anyway i will enjoy watching UC BBall this year

paintmered
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Even after the EKU win and the 9-2 record, I'm getting a little worried about this team. The lack of a point guard cost them in both of their losses and it nearly cost them a few more. The Cats simply can't keep up with quicker teams. And even though they have the size advantage on most teams, the offense consists of Deonta dribbling around the perimeter with four others standing and watching.

I think this team is NIT bound even though their current RPI suggests NCAA tourney. They're still a year away IMO.

NatiRedGals
12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Even after the EKU win and the 9-2 record, I'm getting a little worried about this team. The lack of a point guard cost them in both of their losses and it nearly cost them a few more. The Cats simply can't keep up with quicker teams. And even though they have the size advantage on most teams, the offense consists of Deonta dribbling around the perimeter with four others standing and watching.

I think this team is NIT bound even though their current RPI suggests NCAA tourney. They're still a year away IMO.

I would agree but i think as the year progresses we will get better. Just as we came back and won that EKU game if we continued to play like we did before OT we probably would not have stood a chance.

Cyclone792
12-22-2008, 10:08 PM
UC takes care of Pine Bluff by 30 tonight. That puts them at 10-2 heading into the Memphis game. Regardless if UC wins or loses, I think most of us would have been happy at the beginning of the season if we put up 10 wins in the non-conference schedule. If we can go down to Memphis and beat them, 11 wins will be even sweeter.

I've taken a peek at what it might take for UC to land in the NCAA, and I think 11 is the magic number in the Big East ... or 10 in the Big East + Memphis.

Right now I'm looking at 11 Big East wins (regular season + conference tournament) for UC to punch their NCAA ticket. This basically means we're looking at UC going 10-8 in the Big East regular season and then winning at least one Big East conference tourney game or going 11-7 in the regular season. The other scenario that would put UC in nice NCAA position is 10 Big East wins and a win in Memphis to help the non-conference record.

If UC loses to Memphis and has 10 Big East wins, they'd be squarely on the bubble (10 regular season Big East wins and 0 conference tourney wins or 9 regular season wins and 1 conference tourney win). If they beat Memphis and have 9 Big East wins, I also think they're squarely on the bubble (though more than likely on the outside looking in with this scenario because the committee doesn't like a sub .500 conference record).

If they have 8 or fewer Big East wins, then they're NIT bound at best regardless of what happens in Memphis.

Either way, let's play well next Monday night in Memphis and try to grab a win and then let's carry some momentum into Big East play.

LoganBuck
12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Truthfully Cyclone, they are going to have to be in the top half of the BigEast. I don't think the actual number of wins is that important for them, as their schedule has been a little too mushy. I think we see another year where the BigEast is cut off at 8 tourney teams. It is going to be an uphill battle.

A Memphis win would be really helpful though. That would give them two decent non conference wins.

bucksfan2
12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I think UC will face a slight problem with the Big East not being as BIG as people thought it would be. At the beginning of the season it was being talked about as the best conference by far in college basketball. They sure have taken their lumps this season. 10 wins is nice in the non conference because they haven't lost to anyone they shouldn't have. But then again they don't have a quality win so far. A win over Memphis will go along way towards fixing that.

What is going to be nice about this season with UC is that they have the inside players to play Big East basketball. If they had a PG I think UC would have a good shot at the NCAA tourney. They don't which hurts them. They need to go through the Big East without losing to the bottom feeder teams. I think its realistic to hope for a NCAA bid but also expect a NIT bid. Mick's biggest job should be getting this team loaded and ready for a strong season next year.

paintmered
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Even if the Big East isn't quite what the pundits thought it could be, it's still a hyper-competitive conference. The Big East is looking at 8 or 9 NCAA bids this year with another 2-3 making the NIT.

Cyclone792
12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Kind of a big game tonight for UC hoops: 9pm @ Memphis on ESPN2

If UC can play well, I like their chances to grab a win. They'll need to play well though and avoid sloppy mistakes/turnovers and get the ball inside more. If they rely on the three point shot too much tonight, things may not bode well at all.

NorrisHopper30
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Huge game tonight, GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NatiRedGals
12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Go Cats as of right now both teams look like their not having a good time lol

Cyclone792
12-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, let's just say that UC's offensive performance last night resembled that of the last two seasons. If you can't make open shots, you're going to have trouble winning games.

On to Big East play now, and we need 10 wins. There are a handful of beatable Big East teams that UC needs to handle. If they can do just that and mix in a few nice wins against the high-powered teams, then we'll see how the chips fall in March.

Reds4Life
12-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, let's just say that UC's offensive performance last night resembled that of the last two seasons. If you can't make open shots, you're going to have trouble winning games.

On to Big East play now, and we need 10 wins. There are a handful of beatable Big East teams that UC needs to handle. If they can do just that and mix in a few nice wins against the high-powered teams, then we'll see how the chips fall in March.

If UC plays like they did last night, they are going to get taken apart in Big East play. Horrible shot selection, bad passing, missed layups. I've seen high school teams that ran a better offense than UC did last night.

Hopefully they get it together, or it's going to be brutal for them in the Big East.

Cedric
12-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Uc just isn't a very good bball team. Absolutely terrible frontcourt play and Vaughn is wildly overrated, IMO. The kid is a turnover machine and would probably be a 10 point scorer on a decent team. I don't see where this team has improved at all from last year. Toyloy, Gates, and Williams against the Big East is laughable. Mick should just be glad that UC football matters and his team is forgotten.

NatiRedGals
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Uc just isn't a very good bball team. Absolutely terrible frontcourt play and Vaughn is wildly overrated, IMO. The kid is a turnover machine and would probably be a 10 point scorer on a decent team. I don't see where this team has improved at all from last year. Toyloy, Gates, and Williams against the Big East is laughable. Mick should just be glad that UC football matters and his team is forgotten.

Hmm wait to see when March comes around :);)

Reds4Life
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM

I don't think he's over rated, but I think he tries to do to much. It's most likely because he doesn't have much of a supporting cast on the team, he's the only reliable option they have on offense each night.

Gates against the Big East isn't going to be laughable, he's a freshman, and the kid is a monster. When he gets some expierence under his belt, he's going to be a great player.

Boss-Hog
12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't think he's over rated, but I think he tries to do to much. It's most likely because he doesn't have much of a supporting cast on the team, he's the only reliable option they have on offense each night.

Gates against the Big East isn't going to be laughable, he's a freshman, and the kid is a monster. When he gets some expierence under his belt, he's going to be a great player.
I agree with that. I wasn't expecting him to be a superstar, but I have been disappointed with Mike Williams so far and his tendency to completely disappear (often due to foul problems) in some games...particularly losses.

Reds4Life
12-31-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree with that. I wasn't expecting him to be a superstar, but I have been disappointed with Mike Williams so far and his tendency to completely disappear (often due to foul problems) in some games...particularly losses.

You got that right, he goes MIA in almost every important game they've played so far this year.

SeeinRed
12-31-2008, 04:45 PM

From what I hear, Mike has not been the same since his injury. He doesn't jump nearly as high, he doesn't run nearly as fast, and he has lost a lot of confidence. I think he is a better player than he has shown, but he needs his confidence back. He made it through the physical part of the injury, now its time to work on the mental part. How much of it is mental is anyone's guess, but I hope he turns it around. He is a super person if you have ever had any contact with him.

Matt700wlw
01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
UC getting THROTTLED by Marquette....and they look absolutley horrific while doing it.

Reds4Life
01-04-2009, 04:07 PM
UC getting THROTTLED by Marquette....and they look absolutley horrific while doing it.

Yep. They can't run on offense at all, none. Before anyone says "but they don't have a PG", it doesn't matter. They can't even run a basic offense, can't shoot, can't screen, nothing. The defense is horrible. In Cronin's tenure, they have NEVER been able to defend against the 3, and after today it clear they still can't. Marquette scored 45 points from beyond the arch.

Disgusting.

LoganBuck
01-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Yep. They can't run on offense at all, none. Before anyone says "but they don't have a PG", it doesn't matter. They can't even run a basic offense, can't shoot, can't screen, nothing. The defense is horrible. In Cronin's tenure, they have NEVER been able to defend against the 3, and after today it clear they still can't. Marquette scored 45 points from beyond the arch.

Disgusting.

But they don't have a second point guard.

They need to be able to create opportunities on offense. They don't have the ability to defend two mobile guards on defense, and the young big guys don't have the patience necessary to run offense. This is essentially the same type of talent that Temple has been trying to make a living on for the last decade, except they aren't using a good offensive plan, and can't play quality zone defense.

BearcatShane
01-17-2009, 12:08 PM
UC has a big one at Depaul today. A win would be huge, it would put them at 12-6 overall and 2-3 in the Big East.

Redlegs23
01-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Got a little hairy at the end. Probably should've won by more, but who cares, it was a road win in the Big East, which is never a bad thing. Interesting that a team can win a game without scoring a field goal in the last 8+ minutes of the game.

NorrisHopper30
01-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Big win on the road, but they made it scary at the end.

Cyclone792
01-18-2009, 01:25 AM
A win is a win so I'll take it. I'd liked to have been 3-2 in Big East play after five games, but 2-3 isn't downright terrible.

The next two games at Providence and at St. John's are big though, because UC really needs to win those to prevent a Big East catastrophe. That's because the ugly stretch begins January 28th against Georgetown, and the schedule doesn't get much better than that beyond the 28th. Starting with Georgetown on the 28th, seven of the next nine games are against ranked opponents with one of the two unranked opponents being West Virginia (who is barely unranked and may be ranked again by that time). It'd be really nice if UC could be 4-3 heading into that stretch rather than 3-4 or 2-5.

BearcatShane
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Big one at St. Johns tonight. It's an extremely winnable game, multiple St. Johns players are out due to injuries. At this point, I would be happy with an NIT bid. A win tonight makes then Cats 13-7 and 3-4 in the league. 9:00PM on ESPNU.

BearcatShane
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
UC wins it 71-60. They trailed by 11 with 13 minutes to go. Very nice win. 13-7 and 3-4 in the league. Thats not that bad. Georgetown is coming to the Shoe on Wednesday, UC can win this game.

Sea Ray
01-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Nice comeback. Kudos to UC for this win on the road

icehole3
01-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Basically the only chance they have is to take care of business at home and youre looking at the NIT, the schedule is brutal. I like that Biggie is back in the rotation, theyre going to need him to do something.

Wed., Jan. 28 vs. Georgetown * TV Fifth Third Arena 7:30 p.m. ET
Sun., Feb. 1 at Villanova * TV Philadelphia, Pa. 12:00 p.m. ET
Wed., Feb. 4 vs. Notre Dame * TV U.S. Bank Arena 7:30 p.m. ET
Sat., Feb. 7 at Georgetown * TV Washington, D.C. 12:00 p.m. ET
Wed., Feb. 11 vs. St. John's * TV Fifth Third Arena 7:30 p.m. ET
Sat., Feb. 14 at Pittsburgh * TV Pittsburgh, Pa. 4:00 p.m. ET
Sat., Feb. 21 vs. Louisville * TV Fifth Third Arena 2:00 p.m. ET
Thu., Feb. 26 vs. West Virginia TV Fifth Third Arena 7:00 p.m. ET
Sun., Mar. 1 at Syracuse * TV Syracuse, N.Y. 2:00 p.m. ET
Tue., Mar. 3 at USF * TV Tampa, Fla. 7:00 p.m. ET
Sat., Mar. 7 vs. Seton Hall * TV Fifth Third Arena 12:00 p.m

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

BearcatShane
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
UC can beat Georgetown at home.

BearcatShane
01-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Huge game tomorrow with G-Town coming to the Shoe. A win puts UC at 14-7 and 4-4. If ya have an extra ticket, PM me. Thanks. Hopefully the place is loud. I would buy a ticket, but I honestly just cant afford it right now so if you have one that might go to waste, I'd love to use it.

Redlegs23
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Huge game tomorrow with G-Town coming to the Shoe. A win puts UC at 14-7 and 4-4. If ya have an extra ticket, PM me. Thanks. Hopefully the place is loud. I would buy a ticket, but I honestly just cant afford it right now so if you have one that might go to waste, I'd love to use it.

Bust out your snow shovel, you may be able to earn your ticket for tomorrow night.

Go Cats!

SeeinRed
01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Huge game if UC can win tonight. Too bad most UC fans won't be able to watch it...

BearcatShane
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Huge game if UC can win tonight. Too bad most UC fans won't be able to watch it...

If ya live in Cincinnati, grab a UC student, and you get in free.

SeeinRed
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
If ya live in Cincinnati, grab a UC student, and you get in free.

My guess is, considering the weather, finding a ticket won't be that hard. However, I don't forsee myself venturing out into the snow with these crazy people. I have a Jeep, so I'm not too worried about myself, but just throughout the course of the afternoon, I've watched 3 people slide off the road outside my window. I've been to support the Cats this year. I love going to the games, but I don't live close enough to venture that way in the snow. Seeing that it is Georgetown UC is playing, you'd think fans would be able to watch on TV or at the very least the internet. ESPN is once again trying to leverage its product into an area that does not have it. Hopefully, I will get to hear a win.

paintmered
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Between the weather and ESPN, I have to think Dan and Chuck will have some very good ratings tonight.

NorrisHopper30
01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
The Bearcats Basketball program needs its students now to be its sixth man on Wednesday night! All students will be admitted access to the game by showing their Student ID card or game ticket beginning at 6:00p.m. Due to the storm, students will only need a Student ID to gain enter the arena. Also, students are invited to bring guests to the game for free, compliments of the University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics.

Tonight’s University of Cincinnati men’s basketball game vs. No. 25/23 Georgetown will be played as scheduled at 7:30 p.m. in Fifth Third Arena. In conjunction with the UC Army ROTC, the Bearcats and the Bearcats Battalion have some exciting events planned, regardless of the weather. The University advises fans planning on attending the game to allow extra travel time and use caution on the roads. The doors of Fifth Third Arena open at 6 p.m. The Bearcats (13-7; 3-4 BIG EAST), who are tied for ninth in the BIG EAST with Georgetown and a half game ahead of No. rv/22 Notre Dame, have won two of their last three games, both on the road.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Which UC student is going to invite me? :D

Redlegs23
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I hate ESPN. They pulled this same crap with ESPNU and Time Warner. They will keep buying rights to games and coming up with new stations to show them on until cable providers give them more money to get that channel. BS!

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Dion Dixon just drains a three to give UC a three point lead with about eight minutes to go. Come on 'cats, let's grind this one out and grab a huge victory.

GoReds33
01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
6:02 left. 52-49 is the score, UC is on top. Vaughn will be at the line, with two shots coming.

GoReds33
01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
UC is down one. Come on Cats!

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 09:15 PM
UC up two with a shade over two minutes to go and Dixon's at the line. He has GOT to drain both of these foul shots.

GoReds33
01-28-2009, 09:16 PM
UC up two with a shade over two minutes to go and Dixon's at the line. He has GOT to drain both of these foul shots.This is the game we needed to keep our tourney hopes alive.

We're in it to win it, Cyclone.:beerme:

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
This is going to come down to foul shots. If UC can do their job at the line and make their foul shots, they'll win the game. If they miss their foul shots, they'll make it interesting.

And Gates is only able to put down one of two.

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Mike Williams hits two HUGE foul shots, Georgetown misses a three, then UC grabs the rebound and Vaughn is at the line with 10 seconds to play.

Hit both foul shots, Deonta, and let's go celebrate.

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
UC beats Georgetown 65-57! Huge win!

GoReds33
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
UC beats Georgetown 65-57! Huge win!We're still on the bubble!! Great game, UC!

BearcatShane
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
14-7 and 4-4. Were gonna be just fine.

Redlegs23
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Huge win baby! Man this feels good. Hopefully this gives these guys some momentum and confidence.

SeeinRed
01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
By the time I found this out it was too late, but if you are a UC student you can watch ESPN360. You have to download VPN software and connect to UC's VPN. My brother goes to UC and logged on here. It actually worked pretty well. Just for future reference, just invite a UC student over to watch the game with you. It should also work for students at any major college or university.

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Here's the remainder of the schedule. I want six more regular season Big East wins, then at least one Big East tournament win. That'd give us 11 Big East wins and 21 overall wins while also putting us right in the thick of a NCAA berth.

@ Villanova
vs. Notre Dame
@ Georgetown
vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

If UC can play well in the three games against St. John's, South Florida and Seton Hall, they should pick up three victories there. That means they'd need to go 3-4 against the higher powered Big East teams, with three of those games (Notre Dame, Louisville, and West Virginia) at home. Notre Dame looks very beatable, especially since it'd be at home. And we know UC will be fired up for the Louisville and West Virginia games.

GoReds33
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's the remainder of the schedule. I want six more regular season Big East wins, then at least one Big East tournament win. That'd give us 11 Big East wins and 21 overall wins while also putting us right in the thick of a NCAA berth.

@ Villanova
vs. Notre Dame
@ Georgetown
vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

If UC can play well in the three games against St. John's, South Florida and Seton Hall, they should pick up three victories there. That means they'd need to go 3-4 against the higher powered Big East teams, with three of those games (Notre Dame, Louisville, and West Virginia) at home. Notre Dame looks very beatable, especially since it'd be at home. And we know UC will be fired up for the Louisville and West Virginia games.
Remember that Notre Dame is at US Bank, not 5/3 Arena. It's got much less home court advantage.

Boston Red
01-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Remember that Notre Dame is at US Bank, not 5/3 Arena. It's got much less home court advantage.

Really?!? Wow, that was a terrible decision.

Luckily, Notre Dame is generally pretty bad anywhere but South Bend.

Sea Ray
01-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Way to go UC!

BTW, what's happened to Georgetown of late?

paintmered
01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Really?!? Wow, that was a terrible decision.

Luckily, Notre Dame is generally pretty bad anywhere but South Bend.

Yeah, it really is a horrible decision. I'm not completely opposed to playing one game a year downtown, but the Notre Dame game makes no sense. You've got a likely NCAA tourney team that struggles on the road and UC reduces their home-court advantage. It's a head-scratcher to be sure.

But anyways, excellent win tonight. It's wins like these that slowly turn the fortunes of a basketball program. I think it's time that Mick receives some deserved credit. IMO, UC is now a bubble team. They're still on the outside looking in, but they're starting to enter the discussion. With a young team, I think that's all that could realistically be hoped for at this point.

Redlegs23
01-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah, it really is a horrible decision. I'm not completely opposed to playing one game a year downtown, but the Notre Dame game makes no sense. You've got a likely NCAA tourney team that struggles on the road and UC reduces their home-court advantage. It's a head-scratcher to be sure.

But anyways, excellent win tonight. It's wins like these that slowly turn the fortunes of a basketball program. I think it's time that Mick receives some deserved credit. IMO, UC is now a bubble team. They're still on the outside looking in, but they're starting to enter the discussion. With a young team, I think that's all that could realistically be hoped for at this point.

It's a deal UC has with US Bank. From what I understand US Bank gets to pick the game, and typically they pick Miami due to the interest for both schools in the area. I don't think they can pick the Xavier game or Louisville, so they chose Notre Dame since there is a decent amount of Notre Dame fans in Cincinnati.

Boston Red
01-29-2009, 01:22 PM
They should not be able to pick a conference game. That is just putting yourself at an unfair comptetive disadvantage unnecessarily.

bucksfan2
01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I have watched quite a bit of UC basketball this season and I have noticed something as of late. UC doesn't have that explosive player. They don't have that player who can explode off the floor for a huge dunk. They don't have the player who on a breakout can energize the fans by a big dunk. They don't have a player who will make a sportscenter top 10 type play.

This is really the first UC team (excluding the Cronin Juco teams) that doesn't have a highlight type player in as long as I can remember. They don't seem to have a player who is quick off the ground. A player who has quick feet on defensive to get into the passing lanes. They don't have a player who can come from the weak side and block a basketball 10 rows into the stands. I have started watching a log of college basketball (other than UC and OSU) and have begun to notice the lack in explosiveness that plagues UC. Anyone else notice this?

paintmered
01-29-2009, 01:42 PM
From all accounts, Darnell Wilks can jump through the roof. He just doesn't see the court much because he's so raw as a player.

Assuming he sticks around, I think Yancy Gates will be the kind of player you're describing.

highheat11
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Lucky for us games are decided by the final score... not the number of dunks or top ten plays they have. I agree with the fact that the defense isn't quite what it used to be, but that was more of a Huggins trait than anything.

Matt700wlw
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Very nice, Cats. :clap:

A little under halfway through the Big East schedule, and UC stands at .500 in THIS conference...

I would have taken that and ran with it at the beginning of the season. Let's see what they can do with it

As bad as they've looked at times this year, they've made progress.

SeeinRed
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I think there are players on UC's team that offer different types of explosiveness. Deonta can be explosive from behind the 3 point line, as well as Dixon recently. I thought Alvin Mitchell lit a fire in UC yesterday. Gates shows flashes of what he can be which is very explosive. Wilks definately can add excitment in small bursts. Sure, there isn't a Hicks type player, but I think that is what Gates can be. You can only expect on Kenyon Martin in a great while.

It might actually benefit UC to not have that explosive player right now. They need to rely on consistency rather than wait on that explosive play. Mike Williams is a good example IMO. He isn't "explosive," but he is very consistent recently. If something bad happens or if the other team has an explosive play, he can slow momentum by making a mid range jumper. Young teams tend to play out of control when emotions get involved. Especially when they have a hard enough time with ball control.

Sea Ray
01-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Very nice, Cats. :clap:

A little under halfway through the Big East schedule, and UC stands at .500 in THIS conference...

I would have taken that and ran with it at the beginning of the season. Let's see what they can do with it

As bad as they've looked at times this year, they've made progress.

As a fan understanding what the program's been through, all I want to see is progress. It seemed like last year their progress stopped and took a step back late in the year. If they continue to make progress, that's fine with me.

I think it's a worthy goal to sneak into the NCAA Tourney but I think it's a successful year if they make the NIT. That'll be progess from 2008

GoReds33
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I have watched quite a bit of UC basketball this season and I have noticed something as of late. UC doesn't have that explosive player. They don't have that player who can explode off the floor for a huge dunk. They don't have the player who on a breakout can energize the fans by a big dunk. They don't have a player who will make a sportscenter top 10 type play.

This is really the first UC team (excluding the Cronin Juco teams) that doesn't have a highlight type player in as long as I can remember. They don't seem to have a player who is quick off the ground. A player who has quick feet on defensive to get into the passing lanes. They don't have a player who can come from the weak side and block a basketball 10 rows into the stands. I have started watching a log of college basketball (other than UC and OSU) and have begun to notice the lack in explosiveness that plagues UC. Anyone else notice this?
That player is Dion Dixon. He's already had a couple alley-oops this year, and he can get off the floor very well for a guard. He has the ability to throw it down very well. Athletically, I would compare him to a Dwyane Wade.

Redlegs23
01-31-2009, 01:14 PM

If you're looking for a highlight type player that can throw it down UC definitely has one in Wilks. The guy can jump like James White. I'm afraid he's about 2 more years away from being a solid contributor though. I expect him to improve next year, but I expect big things from him as a senior.

As far as blocking shots and throwing down power dunks Gates is getting to be that guy. Cronin has gotten after him about being a shot blocker and last game he blocked four, including a real nice block against Greg Monroe at the end of the game in crunch time.

Redlegs23
01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Big game for the Cats tomorrow. Every game in the Big East is big, but if we can steal this one on the road against Villanova that would be huge since we're expected to lose. This could give us quite a momentum boost as well. Hopefully Nova is prime for a letdown after their big win over Pitt.

GoReds33
01-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Big game for the Cats tomorrow. Every game in the Big East is big, but if we can steal this one on the road against Villanova that would be huge since we're expected to lose. This could give us quite a momentum boost as well. Hopefully Nova is prime for a letdown after their big win over Pitt.You're right. If we win tomorrow, I would venture to say that we would have a resume that would be worth for the tournament.

BearcatShane
02-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Well as of right now, I think our resume is worthy of an NCAA bid. We have solid wins over UNLV, UAB, Miss State, and G-Town and we don't have a bad loss to speak of. It's not good to lose to Providence at home, but that is not a bad loss in my opinion. To be 14-7 and 4-4 in the best conference in America, I think that puts us in. But the season doesn't end today. Yes, todays matchup with Villanova is huge, if UC can win, they start to establish themselves as a true middle of the Big East team, which is a very good thing for a young team in this gauntlet. This win would be huge. Hopefully UC goes in tough, doesn't make many mistakes, plays great defence, and can score and not go into long scoring ruts. GO CATS.

joshnky
02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes, todays matchup with Villanova is huge, if UC can win, they start to establish themselves as a true middle of the Big East team, which is a very good thing for a young team in this gauntlet. This win would be huge. Hopefully UC goes in tough, doesn't make many mistakes, plays great defence, and can score and not go into long scoring ruts. GO CATS.

It's not looking good for today. Currently UC sits at ninth in the Big East standings with the Big East likely getting nine teams into the tourney. The Notre Dame game will be huge to generate seperation between them and another Big East bubble team. With UC having the more difficult stretch of games this month than Notre Dame and Georgetown the head-to-head match ups will be very important. Beat both of those teams (G'town for the second time) and you're probably in. Lose and you're out.

texasdave
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
There must be some problem with the boxscore, because this can't be right. Did Mike Williams really play 36 minutes and score the same amount of points as a dead man? Zero? He did get credit, however, for two whole rebounds. You would think that in 36 minutes on the court that two rebounds would randomally bounce his way. So, basically, Mike Williams did nothing today.

Redlegs23
02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Sure would've been nice to win today, but it turned out as expected. Villanova is ranked #21 and hasn't lost at home in three years, which is very tough to do in the Big East. The Notre Dame game is huge, wish it wasn't at US Bank.

BearcatShane
02-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Beat Notre Dame, and were still alive, lose, and it's probably NIT time.

bucksfan2
02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Sure would've been nice to win today, but it turned out as expected. Villanova is ranked #21 and hasn't lost at home in three years, which is very tough to do in the Big East. The Notre Dame game is huge, wish it wasn't at US Bank.

Turned out awful. UC had a 7 point lead shortly before half. Instead of going into half up they went in down by a point. From the time when they got the 7 point lead Nova completely beat the you know what out of them. UC didn't have an answer as to how to beat their press, how to get the ball inside, how to get dribble penetration, how to get anything out of their big men. It was a shame and almost embarrassing to watch the second half as a fan.

The Nova game was a chance for UC to garner top 25 votes as well as jump into the talk for a NCAA bid. Combine a Nova win with a ND win (ND is fading fast) and UC would be firmly into the NCAA field. Thats the shame of the matter with their effort in the second half. UC will have their hands full with McAlarney and Harrangody for ND. They will struggle to defend Harrangody and UC has shown the inability to guard anyone from 3.

Redlegs23
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Yet another big one tonight. We cannot afford to lose to other fringe teams like ND. Unfortunately we've already dropped two to Providence, which will likely place them squarely ahead of us. I don't want to get too into the NCAA talk since I really don't think we will be there for one, and I still consider the NIT a success this year after only winning 13 games last year and having such a young team. Anyways, sure would be nice to beat the Irish.

Redlegs23
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Up by 5 in the second half right now. Let's do this Cats!

Cyclone792
02-04-2009, 09:02 PM
UC's on a second half tear right now up by 11 and Toyloy's at the line shooting one.

paintmered
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
UC up 14 with 8:14 to go.

WMR
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Reality and Perception continue to draw closer in regards to the Irish.

Cyclone792
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Reality and Perception continue to draw closer in regards to the Irish.

The Big East has been brutal to Notre Dame. They're now getting to the point that their NCAA tourney hopes are fading fast, and this game isn't going to help them out at all either.

Nevertheless, this will still be a huge win for UC if the 'cats can pull it out though. With West Virginia already losing tonight at Syracuse, UC would move up to 8th in the Big East with a win. We need Providence to start dropping some Big East games too (Nova is helping with that tonight too).

WMR
02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
The Big East has been brutal to Notre Dame. They're now getting to the point that their NCAA tourney hopes are fading fast, and this game isn't going to help them out at all either.

Nevertheless, this will still be a huge win for UC if the 'cats can pull it out though. With West Virginia already losing tonight at Syracuse, UC would move up to 8th in the Big East with a win. We need Providence to start dropping some Big East games too (Nova is helping with that tonight too).

Agreed, absolutely massive game for UC.

This was a must-win game for ND.

Cyclone792
02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
And this one is over! UC beats Notre Dame 93-83!

UC is now 5-5 in the Big East with their next game this Saturday at Georgetown. With the way the Hoyas are playing, this is a big road game I'd like to steal.

dabvu2498
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Reality and Perception continue to draw closer in regards to the Irish. Teams with only 2 scoring threats...

WMR
02-04-2009, 10:26 PM
teams with only 2 scoring threats...

VIRTUAL SMACK TO DABVU

:lol:

Cyclone792
02-04-2009, 10:37 PM

@ Villanova
vs. Notre Dame
@ Georgetown
vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

Time to update this schedule. One win down, five more to go:

L @ Villanova
W vs. Notre Dame
@ Georgetown
vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

We need to win the three games against some of the lower tier Big East competition (St. John's & Seton Hall at home, South Florida on the road) and steal two wins amongst the Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia and Syracuse group. The road games at Pittsburgh and at Syracuse are going to be extremely difficult, which means the road game this Saturday against Georgetown is huge since I believe it's the key road win we can still grab.

Matt700wlw
02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Keep it up, Cats.

joshnky
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM

It's amazing how bad Notre Dame has played since the Louisville loss. They were extremely tough to beat in that game but now they can't seem to get anything done.

NorrisHopper30
02-05-2009, 12:12 PM
It's amazing how bad Notre Dame has played since the Louisville loss. They were extremely tough to beat in that game but now they can't seem to get anything done.

Granted, the first 5 in ND's losing streak were top 10 teams.

Redlegs23
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Granted, the first 5 in ND's losing streak were top 10 teams.

Yeah, people seem to be talking down ND, but 5 straight games against top 10 teams can make a lot of people look bad and send them into a slump. No way do I think ND is a #7 quality team like they were ranked early, but they aren't a bad team either.

Cyclone792
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
UC's RPI had a slight boost from a 59 RPI to a 56 RPI after last night's victory over Notre Dame. More importantly, however, is moving to .500 in the Big East with that win. Here's some bubble conversation ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=84

Cincinnati [14-8 (5-5), RPI: 56, SOS: 22] The Bearcats still have some hefty work to do, but they moved a step closer by beating Notre Dame 93-83 on Wednesday night. They moved to .500 in Big East play with their fifth victory in their past seven games and probably knocked the Fighting Irish out of contention for an at-large bid. Cincinnati has a couple of so-so nonconference victories (UAB and UNLV) and beat Georgetown at home. But the Bearcats probably need to finish better than .500 in Big East play to garner serious consideration.

Sea Ray
02-06-2009, 09:26 AM
The nice thing about playing in the Big East is UC will have plenty of opportunities for big wins to impress the committee

Redlegs23
02-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Time to update this schedule. One win down, five more to go:

L @ Villanova
W vs. Notre Dame
@ Georgetown
vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

We need to win the three games against some of the lower tier Big East competition (St. John's & Seton Hall at home, South Florida on the road) and steal two wins amongst the Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia and Syracuse group. The road games at Pittsburgh and at Syracuse are going to be extremely difficult, which means the road game this Saturday against Georgetown is huge since I believe it's the key road win we can still grab.

I see us going 4-4 from here on out with wins against St. John's, West Va, South Florida, and Seton Hall. Steal one more, most likely tomorrow against Georgetown and I think we make the tournament with a final record of 20-11 and 10-8. Finish how I think we will and we will be 19-12 and 9-9. Will that be good enough for the big dance? I think it depends on what happens in the Big East tournament.

bucksfan2
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
UC needs to do something they aren't expected to do. If they can rise up and beat Louisville that would be huge but they also have to hold serve. If UC wins 4 to finish the season they will need to win probably 2 games in the Big East tourney.

paintmered
02-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I think they need to go 10-8 and win a game in the BE tourney to make the NCAA. Short of that, it's NIT time.

Redlegs23
02-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Tied with Georgetown at Gtown with 4:30 left. Let's do this Cats!

Matt700wlw
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Find a way to win!!

Matt700wlw
02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
40 minutes is not enough to contain this one!

OnBaseMachine
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Cincy wins 64-62. Big win!

SunDeck
02-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Cincy wins 64-62. Big win!

Oh, DOCTOR!

I did not see that coming. That was a must win to start making the case for a NCAA bid.

Matt700wlw
02-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice job, Cats!!

GoReds33
02-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Let's upset Louisville at home, and win the three we're supposed to. If we do that, we will be in, guaranteed.

AccordinglyReds
02-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Let's upset Louisville at home, and win the three we're supposed to. If we do that, we will be in, guaranteed.

How about UC NOT do that? ;)

Good win for the Bearcats though. :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
They control their own fate for the NCAA tournament now.

Color me impressed! :thumbup:

Biggest win of Mick Cronin's coaching career.

Redlegs23
02-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Man that was an awesome game. Beating Georgetown twice in ten days is impressive, especially with today's game being on the road. Bearcat basketball is fun once again!

NatiRedGals
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
It sure is great to see I tried and have stayed positive all season even when we hit lows we also hit new highs. I hope this is the year we turn it around maybe even surprise the world !!!

Chip R
02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Too bad Bip isn't around anymore. I wonder what he would say about the relative life of the UC basketball program now. :D

GoReds33
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
UC is really hyping these next games up, trying to get us to keep this momentum. They now have ten dollar upper deck tickets for the St. John's game, and I believe they have them against Seton Hall, as well. I just bought two student tickets for Louisville. I think this win just got the fan base back into it.

Cyclone792
02-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Huge win at Georgetown! Despite the Hoyas struggling recently, they still came into today's game with an RPI of 23, which means this is a massive road win for UC.

Another schedule update. Two wins, four to go:

L @ Villanova
W vs. Notre Dame
W@ Georgetown
vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

I'm also watching all six of UC's solid non-conference opponents:

Florida State won at Clemson (RPI 8)
Memphis won at Gonzaga (RPI 32)
UAB won at Southern Miss (RPI 92)
Mississippi State won vs. Arkansas (RPI 93)
Xavier lost at Duquesne (RPI 107)
UNLV lost at New Mexico (RPI 81)

We need all six of UC's better nonconference opponents to do as well as possible, and that includes Xavier.

Sea Ray
02-08-2009, 03:41 PM
That's great they're on the bubble for a tournament bid. A month ago they were ready to run Mick out of town and it looked like UC was going to get buried in the Big East. No one thought they'd be winning OT games like this And coming back from 10 pt deficits time and time again. I thought they were sunk when they fell behind 12 points well into the 2nd half. Whereas teams like ND and yesterday's opponent are falling, UC is improving. Kudos to UC and Mick for that.

I don't think their tournament ticket will be sealed until after the Big East Tournament. I think they'll need to do something there. Even if they fall short of the NCAA, they still can accomplish some things. Going over .500 in the toughest conference in basketball is something. The experience of competing in the NIT would help the program as well. The mental hurdle of thinking they can play in the Big East is huge.

BearcatShane
02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
If UC beats St. Johns, South Florida, Seton Hall and West Virginia at home, they are a lock IMO. UC can beat Louisville and Syracuse too. We'll see. I say they end up 21-10 going into the Big East Tourney.

bucksfan2
02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
If UC beats St. Johns, South Florida, Seton Hall and West Virginia at home, they are a lock IMO. UC can beat Louisville and Syracuse too. We'll see. I say they end up 21-10 going into the Big East Tourney.

I think they need one more win in the BEast tourney. I actually think this St. Johns game is a very critical game. They are back into the NCAA tourney discussion and coming off a big time win. They return home and should beat St. Johns handily. However this could be your classic overlook game.

They should beat St Johns, S Florida (who just beat Marquette), and Seton Hall. The WVU game will be more difficult. I watched them beat a good OSU team and dominate the entire game. If UC holds serve and wins a game in the BEast tourney they should punch their ticket to the Big Dance.

Sea Ray
02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
St Johns just gave UL a whale of a game at Freedom Hall even though the final score doesn't show it. I don't see any gimmes here but at least UC has a shot. I see them with 19 wins heading into the Big East Tourney

Cyclone792
02-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Regarding the tourney, there are a couple other outside things that can help UC's chances if they happen, namely:

Xavier winning the Atlantic 10 conference tournament. If Xavier is bounced out, root for Dayton.
Memphis winning the CUSA conference tournament. If Memphis is bounced out, root for UAB.
Gonzaga winning the West Coast conference Tournament. If Gonzaga is bounced out, the at-large field may lose a bid (St. Mary's is the 2nd best WCC team, and they're a bubble team).
Butler winning the Horizon League conference tournament. If Butler is knocked out, the at-large field will lose a bid, I'm sure. I don't see any other team other than Butler receiving an at-large from the Horizon League.
Utah State must win the WAC conference tournament. If they're upset, the at-large field will lose a bid.
Siena needs to win the Metro Atlantic Athletic conference tournament. They currently have a 28 RPI so there is some possibility they could swipe an at-large bid.
The Missouri Valley Conference may only get one bid regardless of who wins their conference tournament, but right now I'm rooting for Illinois State (RPI 52).
Davidson must win the Southern conference tournament, otherwise another at-large bid likely disappears.

joshnky
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
St Johns just gave UL a whale of a game at Freedom Hall even though the final score doesn't show it. I don't see any gimmes here but at least UC has a shot. I see them with 19 wins heading into the Big East Tourney

The game was at Madison Square Garden where Louisville always struggles with their shot.

I know you guys are confident and that UC has developed into a good team but there is little chance that they beat Louisville.

SeeinRed
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
The game was at Madison Square Garden where Louisville always struggles with their shot.

I know you guys are confident and that UC has developed into a good team but there is little chance that they beat Louisville.

But..... You're sayin there IS a chance.

I don't think most UC fans expect UC to beat UofL. I think the thought is that it would be a very nice win if they can pull it off. Its possible, but it will take a very good game from UC and a pretty crappy one for UofL. Still, I don't think its a game where UofL just walks in and wins by 20. They will have to fight pretty hard to get out of the Shoe with a win.

joshnky
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
But..... You're sayin there IS a chance.

I don't think most UC fans expect UC to beat UofL. I think the thought is that it would be a very nice win if they can pull it off. Its possible, but it will take a very good game from UC and a pretty crappy one for UofL. Still, I don't think its a game where UofL just walks in and wins by 20. They will have to fight pretty hard to get out of the Shoe with a win.

I'll add that Cincy should be wary of St. Johns. They're not a very high-scoring team but they played extremely tough defense agaisnt Louisville. They effectively shut down Terrence Williams, something even UConn couldn't do.

Boss-Hog
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

I'm sure you thought the same thing last year before UC won at Freedom Hall.

Honestly, I'm not expecting UC to beat Louisville, but it wouldn't exactly be the upset of the year or anything.

joshnky
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm sure you thought the same thing last year before UC won at Freedom Hall.

Honestly, I'm not expecting UC to beat Louisville, but it wouldn't exactly be the upset of the year or anything.

Not the same basketball team last year and that was during their early-year swoon that seems to occur yearly. And no I didn't think the same thing last year. Although I didn't think UC was very good I also didn't think UofL was very good at the time.

The only team who has been able to get going against this defense was UConn. Pitt, Syracuse, and Villanova couldn't do it and I don't think UC has the athletes to do it either. This is not a great offensive team but the defense comes to play every game.

While it wouldn't be the upset of the year, I would place UC beating UofL on the same scale as USF beating Marquette. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I'm much more worried about Notre Dame than anyone else the rest of the year. Since UofL kicked off their losing streak they'll have added motivation to end it when Louisville visits. And any team with Harangody and McAlarney is scary.

Redlegs23
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Not the same basketball team last year and that was during their early-year swoon that seems to occur yearly. And no I didn't think the same thing last year. Although I didn't think UC was very good I also didn't think UofL was very good at the time.

The only team who has been able to get going against this defense was UConn. Pitt, Syracuse, and Villanova couldn't do it and I don't think UC has the athletes to do it either. This is not a great offensive team but the defense comes to play every game.

While it wouldn't be the upset of the year, I would place UC beating UofL on the same scale as USF beating Marquette. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I'm much more worried about Notre Dame than anyone else the rest of the year. Since UofL kicked off their losing streak they'll have added motivation to end it when Louisville visits. And any team with Harangody and McAlarney is scary.

So last year you expected the worst UC team in decades at 5-7 to win at Louisville when they were 9-3 heading into Big East play?

I think you're looking through the Louisville glasses a little too much. Last year's Louisville team wasn't as good as this year's, but last year's UC team was MUCH worse than this years team. UC won 13 games all of last season. They're at 16 right now with 7 left to play. UC beat the Notre Dame team that you're worried about by ten points.

And saying that a UC win at UC would be comparable to USF over Marquette, give me a break man. USF had zero wins that were even close to being quality wins going into that game, and they had a record of 7-14. Marquette was 20-2 and 9-0 in the Big East. UC is 16-8 and 6-5 with quality wins over UNLV, UAB, Georgetown twice, and Notre Dame. That isn't even comparable.

I don't expect UC to win this game. There's no doubt Louisville will be the favorite, but I would not be too surprised if UC wins, this is a rivalry game being played at the Shoe.

Boss-Hog
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
So last year you expected the worst UC team in decades at 5-7 to win at Louisville when they were 9-3 heading into Big East play?

I think you're looking through the Louisville glasses a little too much. Last year's Louisville team wasn't as good as this year's, but last year's UC team was MUCH worse than this years team. UC won 13 games all of last season. They're at 16 right now with 7 left to play. UC beat the Notre Dame team that you're worried about by ten points.

And saying that a UC win at UC would be comparable to USF over Marquette, give me a break man. USF had zero wins that were even close to being quality wins going into that game, and they had a record of 7-14. Marquette was 20-2 and 9-0 in the Big East. UC is 16-8 and 6-5 with quality wins over UNLV, UAB, Georgetown twice, and Notre Dame. That isn't even comparable.

I don't expect UC to win this game. There's no doubt Louisville will be the favorite, but I would not be too surprised if UC wins, this is a rivalry game being played at the Shoe.
Well said.

Cyclone792
02-09-2009, 09:49 PM

I don't expect UC to win the game, but for your sake, I hope Pitino and the Cards are taking the UC game much more seriously than you seem to be. UC can hang with anybody down in Clifton. If they play well and shots fall, the game's going to be very interesting.

Meanwhile, Pitt knocked off West Virginia tonight so UC is now a full game ahead of the Mountaineers who are now 5-6. I'm looking at a possible 6 or 7 seed in the Big East tourney if UC can take care of necessary business and put up 10 Big East wins.

BearcatShane
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
The Shoe will return to it's old self on February 21st. It will not be easy for the Cards, and UC will have that extra energy with the crowd and the thought of this win putting them very close if not in the tourney. Don't underestimate these Cats. They played Uconn great at the Shoe. But again, UC's big time home court advantage returns on February 21st.

joshnky
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
this is a rivalry game being played at the Shoe.

Sorry, but this hasn't been a rivalry game since Huggins left. Most Louisville fans now consider Pitt and West Virginia to be bigger rivals.

It doesn't really matter. As you said UofL will likely be the favorite and should win. And regardless of how they're playing an underachieving Notre Dame team with the reigning Big East player of the year and top 25 talent is always going to worry me.

joshnky
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I hope Pitino and the Cards are taking the UC game much more seriously than you seem to be.

Of course they are. Fans can say whatever they want but the players have to play and win each game.

bucksfan2
02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
UC has a great opportunity here. Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse would all be considered big time wins. If UC beats one of them and holds serve they most probably are in the NCAA tourney. If UC can beat 2 of them they may just end up with their first top 25 ranking since Huggs left. Its a daunting stretch and very unlikely that they beat either of those three but it is possible. Louisville I see as the most likely top opponent that UC can beat. It is a rival, at the Shoe, and Mick would love to beat his mentor.

Boston Red
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Sorry, but this hasn't been a rivalry game since Huggins left. Most Louisville fans now consider Pitt and West Virginia to be bigger rivals.

That makes it even more dangerous for Louisville. Because I GUARANTEE Cincinnati thinks it is a rivalry game.

Boston Red
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
As Nancy Zimpher's term as UC President comes to a close, I thought it would be interesting to examine the Big East standings:

Connecticut 10-1 22-1
Marquette 9-1 20-3
Louisville 9-1 18-4
Pittsburgh 9-2 22-2
Villanova 7-3 19-4
Syracuse 6-5 18-6
Cincinnati 6-5 16-8
Providence 6-5 14-9
West Virginia 5-6 16-8
Seton Hall 4-6 13-9
Georgetown 4-7 13-9
Notre Dame 3-7 12-10
South Florida 3-7 8-14
St. John's 3-8 12-11
Rutgers 1-10 10-14
DePaul 0-11 8-16

NorrisHopper30
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM

It doesn't really matter. As you said UofL will likely be the favorite and should win. And regardless of how they're playing an underachieving Notre Dame team with the reigning Big East player of the year and top 25 talent is always going to worry me.

It's a rivalry game, and you better believe it because every single UC fan in the shoe that night will think its a rivalry game (doesn't really matter what Louisville fans think this year - heck it didn't even matter last year hahah). We don't like the Cards, and the Cards don't like us - in any sport. It's gonna be loud and it's not going to be a very friendly environment. GO CATS

Redlegs23
02-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Maybe if the Cards would've viewed it as a rivalry game last year they wouldn't have taken an L at Freedom Hall to the worst UC team in decades. By the way, since Huggins left the series is tied up at 2-2, not sure why his departure has killed the rivalry in your eyes. It's not like Louisville has exactly dominated the series since then.

bucksfan2
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
As Nancy Zimpher's term as UC President comes to a close, I thought it would be interesting to examine the Big East standings:

Connecticut 10-1 22-1
Marquette 9-1 20-3
Louisville 9-1 18-4
Pittsburgh 9-2 22-2
Villanova 7-3 19-4
Syracuse 6-5 18-6
Cincinnati 6-5 16-8
Providence 6-5 14-9
West Virginia 5-6 16-8
Seton Hall 4-6 13-9
Georgetown 4-7 13-9
Notre Dame 3-7 12-10
South Florida 3-7 8-14
St. John's 3-8 12-11
Rutgers 1-10 10-14
DePaul 0-11 8-16

During Zimpher's time at UC Huggins coached 2 lottery picks (Beasley and Alexander) and had another NBA drafted player in Billy Walker. We are also left to think what could have been with a UC team comprised of Walker, Mayo, and Beasley.

During the Zimpher era UC basketball interest has dropped to a Tony Yates level. Games aren't being sold out and a handful of games aren't even on local TV. Looking at the standings this year doesn't even show the damage Zimpher did to UC basketball.

Reds4Life
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
During Zimpher's time at UC Huggins coached 2 lottery picks (Beasley and Alexander) and had another NBA drafted player in Billy Walker. We are also left to think what could have been with a UC team comprised of Walker, Mayo, and Beasley.

During the Zimpher era UC basketball interest has dropped to a Tony Yates level. Games aren't being sold out and a handful of games aren't even on local TV. Looking at the standings this year doesn't even show the damage Zimpher did to UC basketball.

I agree with the last paragraph. I don't think Huggins would have gotten Beasley at UC, and probably not Mayo either. Walker would have been a lock. It would have been great to see what Huggs could do though going after the blue chip recruits with the Big East behind him.

UC is going to honor Huggs at the WVU game on Feb 26th, which is a good thing. They are supposed to be hanging a banner in the shoe for his accomplishments, and it's well earned. Just as Zimpher is leaving, imagine that, poetic justice at it's finest.

At the end of the day, Bob can still walk down the street in this city with his head held high, can't say the same for wonderful Nancy.

Boston Red
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Bob can still walk down the street in this city with his head held high

Assuming he's not puking on his car.

joshnky
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe if the Cards would've viewed it as a rivalry game last year they wouldn't have taken an L at Freedom Hall to the worst UC team in decades. By the way, since Huggins left the series is tied up at 2-2, not sure why his departure has killed the rivalry in your eyes. It's not like Louisville has exactly dominated the series since then.

What has dampened the rivallry is not the record but the fact that the game has little meaning on the conference championship. The CUSA days created a bitter rivalry because the championship would likely come from one of those two schools. Also, the fact that Huggins team had a rough and tumble rep added fuel to the hatred. If UC bounces back to a top tier Big East team (top 4) then this game will have some life again. Now its not much different than playing Villanova or Providence.

Regardless, to get things back on point UC can certainly change my opinion of them in the next two games. How they play against a team they should beat and then Pitt might change my opinion of the team. They're certainly playing better but against teams that will likely not make the tourney. I'm looking forward to watching them play Pitt and then I might have a little more concern regarding our upcoming matchup.

CrackerJack
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Thank you Nancy Z for ridding the program of a coach who's time has passed, and for bringing in Mike Thomas, who brought in both Mick and Kelly. Thomas has done a great job. She also put some respectability back into the academics and athletic programs. Most of the "Huggins fans" don't care about the school or it's respectability, they just wanted to see future NBA players who could dunk and a coach ranting and raving on the sidelines to make up for his weakenesses, and who hadn't won a thing in years, a perennial underachiever still living in the past like most of the so-called UC fans who no longer go to games and live in the distant past of the mid and early 90's.

2 more years and thank God this won't be a recurring subject with UC basketball, Mick is doing a good job this year and is coaching like his career depends on it, and the quality of basketball is much more to my liking, against real talent, and Mick has already proved he can actually beat great coaches - something Huggins' couldn't do at all once Pitino and Calipari entered the conference, and completely owned him and his knucklehead players, half of whom couldn't even stay on the roster for one reason or another.

CrackerJack
02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
What has dampened the rivallry is not the record but the fact that the game has little meaning on the conference championship. The CUSA days created a bitter rivalry because the championship would likely come from one of those two schools. Also, the fact that Huggins team had a rough and tumble rep added fuel to the hatred. If UC bounces back to a top tier Big East team (top 4) then this game will have some life again. Now its not much different than playing Villanova or Providence.

Regardless, to get things back on point UC can certainly change my opinion of them in the next two games. How they play against a team they should beat and then Pitt might change my opinion of the team. They're certainly playing better but against teams that will likely not make the tourney. I'm looking forward to watching them play Pitt and then I might have a little more concern regarding our upcoming matchup.

I tend to agree although I don't expect any sort of consistency from this Bearcat team, although they've looked much improved since the Nova game on defense and offense. That defense they threw at Notre Dame was lights out solid, took them completely out of their game - and Yates can play with any big man now.

Louisville isn't much of a rivalry anymore - agreed. I think the Cards are their best shot at winning that one big game they need, if they take care of business with the rest (they will lose to Pitt) they'll get into the tournament, and that's all I ask - that would be huge for Mick and these players who've suffered through this the last 3 years, and would help get some of the Huggins' blowhards back into the fold hopefully, since they otherwise don't seem to enjoy big time college basketball for some reason.

Yet UC is capable of going into a slump at any moment and for more than one game still, I dont' expect Davis to keep shooting like this at all and Mitchell is one dimensional still...so all it takes is one bad game from Vaughn and they can still lose to anybody rather easily. Every game from here on out should be interesting at least - they are meaningful unlike this time last year.

Reds4Life
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Thank you Nancy Z for ridding the program of a coach who's time has passed, and for bringing in Mike Thomas, who brought in both Mick and Kelly. Thomas has done a great job. She also put some respectability back into the academics and athletic programs. Most of the "Huggins fans" don't care about the school or it's respectability, they just wanted to see future NBA players who could dunk and a coach ranting and raving on the sidelines to make up for his weakenesses, and who hadn't won a thing in years, a perennial underachiever still living in the past like most of the so-called UC fans who no longer go to games and live in the distant past of the mid and early 90's.

2 more years and thank God this won't be a recurring subject with UC basketball, Mick is doing a good job this year and is coaching like his career depends on it, and the quality of basketball is much more to my liking, against real talent, and Mick has already proved he can actually beat great coaches - something Huggins' couldn't do at all once Pitino and Calipari entered the conference, and completely owned him and his knucklehead players, half of whom couldn't even stay on the roster for one reason or another.

Yeah, his time had really passed, that's how he got the #1 recruting class in the country at K-State, and went to the sweet 16 last year, and will be in the tournament again this year. Damn that washed up Huggins. :rolleyes:

Redlegs23
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
who hadn't won a thing in years

I'm a Cronin fan, but to say Huggins hadn't won a thing in years is a little crazy.

BearcatShane
02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I loved Bob, I still respect him, but I am a Cronin fan now, hopefully he's here for 30 more years and breaks all Bob's records. One thing Cronin will never do though, is give a postgame show like Bob did. "I don't know Chuck"

Boss-Hog
02-10-2009, 06:57 PM

Not to pick nits, but Huggins never coached Michael Beasley - that was former assistant Frank Martin. It is, of course, safe to say that Huggins being at K-State was a major factor in Beasley's decision to go there.

Cyclone792
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Given that I've been a UC fan for as long as I can remember, I'm a huge Huggins fan and I was very disappointed in how things were handled with his dismissal. I'm also very glad that UC is honoring Huggins later this month when West Virginia rolls in to Clifton. He deserves it, and the fans deserve a chance to give him a standing O.

All that said, I'm a UC fan first and foremost. I'll tip my hat to Huggins during the pregame, but once the ball is tipped it'll be time to get behind Cronin and his boys on the floor, especially since a win against West Virginia is crucial to UC's chances of landing a tourney bid.

nmculbreth
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Not to pick nits, but Huggins never coached Michael Beasley - that was former assistant Frank Martin. It is, of course, safe to say that Huggins being at K-State was a major factor in Beasley's decision to go there.

In all fairness Michael Beasley's college decision had far more to do with Dalonte Hill than it did with Bob Huggins. Hill was Beasley's AAU coach and he originally committed to UNC Charlotte while Hill was an assistant on Bobby Lutz's staff. He didn't express any interest in K-State or Huggins until Hill was poached away.

Interestingly enough Hill ended up becoming the highest paid assistant coach in the country, earning something like $400k a year to keep bringing in blue chip recruits.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
In all fairness Michael Beasley's college decision had far more to do with Dalonte Hill than it did with Bob Huggins. Hill was Beasley's AAU coach and he originally committed to UNC Charlotte while Hill was an assistant on Bobby Lutz's staff. He didn't express any interest in K-State or Huggins until Hill was poached away.

Interestingly enough Hill ended up becoming the highest paid assistant coach in the country, earning something like $400k a year to keep bringing in blue chip recruits.
Very good point.

Cyclone792
02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
UC's RPI jumped to 48 today, which was likely aided by Florida State and UNLV both winning last night. The Seminoles beat Virginia (RPI 100) at home, and UNLV beat TCU (RPI 113) at home as well.

UC's game tonight at home against St. John's is pivotal, but I'll also be watching a handful of other games:

Syracuse @ Connecticut: The Orange are tied with UC in Big East play at 6-5, and a UC win mixed with a Syracuse loss puts UC a game up on Syracuse in the Big East standings.
Xavier has a huge Atlantic 10 game tonight at Dayton (RPI 31). I know many UC fans loathe the Muskies, but a Xavier win tonight will further help UC's strength of schedule.
Mississippi State also has a very important game tonight against LSU (RPI 50). Mississippi State is 15-7 overall (6-2 in the SEC), though they're only carrying around a 77 RPI. The better the Bulldogs finish out the season, the better that UC win back in December appears. It'd be nice if Mississippi State can pick up a nice home win against a solid LSU squad.
Memphis plays at home against Tulsa (RPI 65). With the exception of a road game at UAB on February 26th, the Tigers home game tonight against Tulsa represents their best opponent for the rest of the regular season.

Tonight's best case scenario: UC beats St. John's (obviously), and we mix that with a Syracuse loss, a Xavier win, a Mississppi State win, and a Memphis win.

Cyclone792
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
UC is shooting well over 60 percent from the field, and Gates is having the best night of his young career thus far. With a 16 point lead, UC's playing one of their best games of the year tonight.

Cyclone792
02-11-2009, 09:16 PM
And just as soon as I start praising UC's play, they let St. John's right back in the game. Cats are up by nine with three minutes to play; they need to finish this one off.

Boss-Hog
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
The last 10 minutes weren't pretty, but I'll take it. Now 7-5 in the league and ahead of Syracuse. :)

Cyclone792
02-11-2009, 09:31 PM
This hasn't exactly been the best second half UC's played, but a win is a win. Here's the schedule update:

L @ Villanova
W vs. Notre Dame
W @ Georgetown
W vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

These next four games are a huge stretch now. At minimum, UC needs to win one of the next four; I'll be pretty happy if they can win two of the next four. This is their opportunity to grab one or more marquee wins to add to their tournament resume, and it's also their opportunity to put up at least 10 Big East wins.

In other news, Connecticut dropped Syracuse so we've now moved into 7th place all by ourselves in the Big East (Providence has the tiebreaker for the 6th seed).

Dayton knocked off Xavier, which won't help UC's non-conference SOS all that much, and it's a big win for the Flyers as they're in the driver's seat for a very deserving tourney bid, IMO. Mississippi State is currently in a dogfight with LSU late in the second half. Memphis is blowing out Tulsa.

NatiRedGals
02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Your rights a wins a win we owned pretty much in the beginning with the young team we have we never seem to want or allow us to keep the big leads. We always play our hearts out but once we get a 10 point lead or more we always seem to just shut down like we lose interest.

Reds4Life
02-11-2009, 09:44 PM
This hasn't exactly been the best second half UC's played, but a win is a win. Here's the schedule update:

L @ Villanova
W vs. Notre Dame
W @ Georgetown
W vs. St. John's
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Louisville
vs. West Virginia
@ Syracuse
@ South Florida
vs. Seton Hall

These next four games are a huge stretch now. At minimum, UC needs to win one of the next four; I'll be pretty happy if they can win two of the next four. This is their opportunity to grab one or more marquee wins to add to their tournament resume, and it's also their opportunity to put up at least 10 Big East wins.

In other news, Connecticut dropped Syracuse so we've now moved into 7th place all by ourselves in the Big East (Providence has the tiebreaker for the 6th seed).

Dayton knocked off Xavier, which won't help UC's non-conference SOS all that much, and it's a big win for the Flyers as they're in the driver's seat for a very deserving tourney bid, IMO. Mississippi State is currently in a dogfight with LSU late in the second half. Memphis is blowing out Tulsa.

I like our chances against WVU. Pitt and Louisville are going to be tough games. As for Xavier.........the A10 is horrible, there is no other way to describe it. Only thing I'm hoping for is one of the bottom feeders doesn't end up winning the A10 tourny giving the conference an extra bid.

paintmered
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
3-3 from here on out plus a win in the BE tourney should be enough to make the NCAA tournament. And if UC can steal one from Louisville, then they'd be a lock with 11 BE wins.

GoReds33
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
USF and Seton Hall are must wins. After that, if we win one in the BE tourney, we should be in. I agree with Paint that if we go 3-3 with a win in the tourney, we are a lock, but I don't know if it will take that much.

Matt700wlw
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
A big HELL YEAH from me! Keep it going, Cats!!!!

morande
02-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Im soo sick of listening to these wins on the radio, when are we going to get back on tv

NorrisHopper30
02-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Im soo sick of listening to these wins on the radio, when are we going to get back on tv

ESPN on Saturday @Pitt. 4PM.

Boss-Hog
02-12-2009, 06:42 AM
I know how you feel...the only other game on ESPN360 is Seton Hall.

NatiRedGals
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM

I agree we actually do have a video broadcast sadly Time Warner Cinci dose not have 360 service yet :(:thumbdown

WMR
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
How are UC games not on television SOMEWHERE in Cincinnati? :eek:

Chip R
02-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Other shows get better ratings.

Roy Tucker
02-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Cable wars. Channel 19 dropped UC hoops in 2008 so we're left up to the mercy of ESPN...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090123/BIZ01/301230107

Internet fight to black out UC hoops
By James Pilcher • jpilcher@enquirer.com • January 23, 2009

Want to watch the University of Cincinnati men's basketball team play its home game against 12th-ranked Georgetown? The only two ways are to buy a ticket - or go to a friend's house in Kentucky who uses Insight for Internet access.

That UC game and three more will only be available through ESPN's online outlet ESPN360. But that "channel" does not have broadcast agreements with Greater Cincinnati's major Internet service providers Cincinnati Bell and Time Warner Cable. ESPN can block access to video streams by identifying a potential user's service provider by their individual Internet address - and providers without an agreement do not get access to the games.

Insight Communications, the cable provider and an Internet provider in Northern Kentucky, does have such an agreement, so games on ESPN360 can be viewed by its users. The game also will be available to students who use UC's Internet service on campus as well as those using military Internet access.

UC has the most games being carried exclusively online on the Bristol, Conn.-based network's online channel among major college basketball teams with ESPN contracts. Two of those four games are against ranked opponents (including the Feb. 4 matchup against No. 19 Notre Dame); all are at home.

"I never miss a UC game either in person or online, and if this means I really have to miss it, then yeah, I'll be pretty upset," said Jon Kniskern, a 29-year-old UC fan and executive recruiter from Anderson Township. "I think UC should work with ESPN to figure out a way to show it on an alternate channel, even online.

"But if that doesn't happen, I guess I'll either be at the Shoemaker Center or I'll try and somehow get around the restrictions. At least I won't have to put up with (ESPN announcer) Dick Vitale."

ESPN executive vice president for affiliate sales and marketing David Preschlack would not comment on negotiations with either Bell or Time Warner.

But he said that the situation is akin to a new broadcast network starting up. He said that ESPN360 is available to 45 Internet providers nationally, covering about 40 percent of the population.

"If it weren't for this service, the game wouldn't be seen at all," Preschlack said. "Would we like to be at 100 percent? Yes, of course, and I think it is a question of not if, but when we get them done."

Cincinnati Bell spokeswoman Lisa McLaughlin said the downtown-based phone company "has had and continues to have discussions with ESPN to offer ESPN360," but declined comment on negotiating issues involving the company's ZoomTown high-speed Internet division.

Officials with Time Warner Cable did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

The shift to online
The potential blackout highlights the growth and importance of live sporting events being streamed online, an exploding trend that is hitting all levels of sports from high school football to the top of the sports food chain: the Olympics, PGA golf, the NFL and Major League Baseball.

Neal Page, chief executive officer and founder of North Carolina-based streaming video company Inlet Technologies, predicts that revenues from online sports viewing will grow from $762 million in 2007 to more than $2.3 billion in 2012.

"Sports streaming is relatively much less expensive, and as more people become more comfortable with Web video, it will only explode," Page said, while noting that live events still cost more than just posting video files online. "Plus, you can show sports with limited following and still make money off it."

UC senior associate athletic director Mike Waddell said that the school will take whatever exposure it can get, pointing out that it already streams other sports online on its own Web site.

"Television is first and foremost a recruiting tool for us for both student athletes as well as high-quality students," Waddell said. "And this is national and worldwide."

Yet the issues also highlight problems with transferring content usually reserved for television onto the free-wheeling Internet.

In this case, ESPN has only contracted with 45 Internet providers nationally, and traditional telephone providers making up most of that list. Verizon, the nation's largest phone company, also hosts and serves ESPN's content, and has had several skirmishes with cable companies in the past over content.

ESPN paid more than $40 million for Big East football and basketball broadcast rights. But network officials point out that UC will get more net exposure this year than last - with the network broadcasting 22 games total on its various channels, including the four online. That compares with a total of 17 last year, including one online.

"We feel bad for the fans who can't see it, but this is growing pains," said Big East associate commissioner Tom Odakjian, who also has worked for ESPN. "It would have gone untelevised otherwise, although they are now required to carry it at least on ESPN360 if they don't carry it anywhere else. And the hope is that like other ESPN ventures in the past, it will grow."

Problems during Olympics
The issue has popped up before on a much bigger scale. Last summer, NBC scrambled to block U.S. Web surfers from watching live streams of the Opening Ceremonies from the Beijing Summer Olympics to protect the network's tape-delayed broadcast.

Major League Baseball also has a robust subscription service that allows viewers to watch any game at any time live on a computer, but blocks hometown viewers from watching hometown teams, including the Cincinnati Reds, to help protect local broadcast agreements.

And the National Football League allows Yahoo to stream its Sunday afternoon games online, but only to viewers outside the U.S. (The site does simulcast NBC's Sunday Night Football online for free in the U.S. as well).

"There really isn't any limitation on the audience or the technology, but where it gets confused is when you start bringing in broadcast rights and league fees," said Dave Morgan, head of professional sports for Yahoo Sports.

Even high schools are getting in on the act, even if they aren't into the money.

Elder High School has been streaming its live sporting events since 2001, and now can expect more than 1,300 viewers for a home football game on Friday nights. School officials even recount tales of Elder alums in Florida and California calling each other to play streaming audio to each other on the phone.

"Everyone gets a chance to man the camera, or do the play-by-play or whatever they want - the kids run the show on this one," says Dave Rapien, a part-time teacher at the East Price Hill school and computer consultant who heads the program. "Really, all you need is a laptop, a camera or two, and an Internet connection and you're off and running."

Staff writer David Holthaus contributed.

Redlegs23
02-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Apparently josh had something to worry about, ND is up 37-19 on Louisville right now at halftime. Amazing what a little bit of defense does huh Notre Dame. I think Louisville will make a run at them in the second half, but I don't see it being enough since the game is at ND.

Sea Ray
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
ND is a different team at home. Lucky for UC to get them in Cincinnati this year.

NatiRedGals
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Final at Dame was 57-90 haha ouch

Reds4Life
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Yep, Louisville got destroyed.

Sea Ray
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Final at Dame was 57-90 haha ouch

No one could have expected a blowout like that.

GoReds33
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe this is the kind of step we need. If we know that Louisville plays bad in hostile enviroments, it will give us the motivation to pack the Shoe. We need that arena to be the loudest it has been since 2002 if we are to control Louisville.

Sorry, I just had to look ahead. We can get back to the Pitt talk now.:)

joshnky
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe this is the kind of step we need. If we know that Louisville plays bad in hostile enviroments, it will give us the motivation to pack the Shoe. We need that arena to be the loudest it has been since 2002 if we are to control Louisville.

Sorry, I just had to look ahead. We can get back to the Pitt talk now.:)

Louisville beat 'Cuse in the Carrier Dome which is another rough site to play in. Its not so much playing on the road as the fact that Notre Dame always plays well against Louisville. And Harangody was unstoppable last night.

BearcatShane
02-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Louisville beat 'Cuse in the Carrier Dome which is another rough site to play in. Its not so much playing on the road as the fact that Notre Dame always plays well against Louisville. And Harangody was unstoppable last night.

Louisville has a very solid team, but I just think UC might be hungrier when they play because if UC beats Louisville, it goes a LONG way to them hearing their name on selection Sunday. That would be the marquee win that UC needs to put them over the top. Again, Louisville is very good, but I really like our chances at the Shoe.

DoogMinAmo
02-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Supposed to be on ESPN today, would be a nice opportunity for UC to show the nation that they belong inthe tourney. That being said, Pitt is a 16 point favorite tonight.

This never seems to end as well as hoped, but I think I take UC with the points. The win itself, slim chance. Pitt has won something like 19 in a row at home, even though UC seemed to play them very tough last year, even taken the game at the Shoe.

Anyone here give them much of a chance tonight?

NatiRedGals
02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Supposed to be on ESPN today, would be a nice opportunity for UC to show the nation that they belong inthe tourney. That being said, Pitt is a 16 point favorite tonight.

This never seems to end as well as hoped, but I think I take UC with the points. The win itself, slim chance. Pitt has won something like 19 in a row at home, even though UC seemed to play them very tough last year, even taken the game at the Shoe.

Anyone here give them much of a chance tonight?

Well right now we are not getting any National Tv Time with the texas colorado game going into overtime :( Anythings possible as long as we stay positive and we continue playing the way we have.. Pitt up 6-2 right now !

paintmered
02-14-2009, 04:59 PM
This just in, Pitt is really really good.

Cyclone792
02-14-2009, 06:16 PM
What happened today is what I expected, but this loss doesn't really hurt UC at all (their RPI will probably go up even after today's loss). We just have to save face by taking at least one of the next three games to give ourselves a chance.

nmculbreth
02-14-2009, 08:12 PM
What happened today is what I expected, but this loss doesn't really hurt UC at all (their RPI will probably go up even after today's loss). We just have to save face by taking at least one of the next three games to give ourselves a chance.

My thoughts exactly.

I was really impressed by Pitt today. With Dyson going down for the year, Pitt looks like class of the Big East. They're an incredibly sound team. Levance Fields does a great job protecting the ball and setting up his teammates, Blair is a load in the paint and Sam Young is a big time player.

IMHO they look like a final four team and UC held their own for about 30 minutes. Not a bad performance.

If UC is able to regroup and take one of the next three and take the final two games against USF and Seton Hall they've got a legitimate shot to make the tourney.

Roy Tucker
02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I won't say I was impressed by UC, but they did play a Final 4 quality team at their place and did a credible job.

Careless turnovers in the first half doomed them. They did make a nice run at Pitt in the second half, but you just can't spot a team like Pitt all those gimme points in the first half and expect to win.

I think UC continues to learn what it takes to win in the Big East and show improvement.

Matt700wlw
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Pitt beats #1 Uconn....

Yeah...Pitt is REALLY REALLY good.

UC vs Louisville on Saturday (in Cincy) is HUGE

GoReds33
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Pitt beats #1 Uconn....

UC vs Louisville on Saturday (in Cincy) is HUGEAre you gonna be there, Matt?

WMR
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Lunardi v. Cronin LOL

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3910818

Sea Ray
02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Pitt beats #1 Uconn....

UC vs Louisville on Saturday (in Cincy) is HUGE

Pitt is good but UConn isn't the same after losing Jerome Dyson

Cyclone792
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Georgetown won on the road in South Florida tonight, and while that's not exactly a marquee win, it gives the Hoyas another Big East win and makes UC's sweep look a bit better (a Georgetown loss would have been disaster).

Louisville beat Providence, which was very nice to see. UC needs the Friars to stumble down the stretch. I'd have liked to have seen Notre Dame beat West Virginia, but the Mountaineers took that game.

Some other notable games:

Florida State beat Miami (FL), which should help UC.
Mississippi State currently has a slim lead over South Carolina in the 2nd half. All UC fans need to be rooting hard for the Bulldogs.
UAB and Tulane are tied in the 2nd half. UAB's a bubble team as well, but UC beat UAB in the non-conference. We need UAB to pull this one out, because the main point against UC right now is we haven't beat many tourney teams this year.
UNLV plays at Wyoming tonight. UNLV is a bubble team as well, but the UAB theory applies here as well: we need UNLV to do well so UC has another nice win to showcase.
One game that may hurt UC is Penn State winning on the road in Illinois.

EDIT: Both Mississippi State and UAB pulled out wins tonight, which is good for UC.

GoReds33
02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Tomorrow's game is HUGE. We have had a week to prepare, and we are coming off a bad loss at the hands of a team that's probably one of the top three in the nation. We need to pull off the win tomorrow, and show that we are finally back!

Sea Ray
02-21-2009, 09:26 AM
I'll be curious to see what effect the week off had. It could be positive or negative. Obviously I'm hoping for the former and the week serves as a re-charging to vault them into the homestretch and into the tournament.

joshnky
02-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Cincy played well and was actually a better team than I thought. Mitchell did a terrific job of hitting threes to break up the Louisville runs. As many have said, they're still a year away but that's not to say they're not a good team this year. If they would have caught this team when TWill was injured the game would have likely been much more in doubt.

Just to brag a bit, Terrence Williams has become an amazing basketball player. He has gone from one of the most frustrating players to an all-time Louisville fan favorite in less than a year. Its amazing to see how Pitino has transformed him into a nearly unstoppable force with an all around game.

GoReds33
02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
This game was lost on the boards. The Cats had too many chances to pull down the rebounds, and they let loserville scoop them up. We had some good shooting, though we could not break the press. That will be cleared up with Cash next year. Neither Yancy of Samardo really impressed me today. Both were physical, though Samardo probably was a bit more physical. I spent a lot of my time watching the plays off the ball, and there was an awful lot of fouls that were not called on Louisville. Probably not enough for us to have won, but it would be nice for this team to get some calls now and then.

joshnky
02-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I spent a lot of my time watching the plays off the ball, and there was an awful lot of fouls that were not called on Louisville.

Now you sound like UK fans. The officials didn't call many fouls period (14-11 advantage to UofL) and that goes both ways. Louisville shot more free throws but that is directly related to UC shooting 27 threes while UofL played more in the paint. Several times UofL players got mobbed in the lane and it wasn't called for them either. You played well but got beat by a superior team.

cincrazy
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Now you sound like UK fans. The officials didn't call many fouls period (14-11 advantage to UofL) and that goes both ways. Louisville shot more free throws but that is directly related to UC shooting 27 threes while UofL played more in the paint. Several times UofL players got mobbed in the lane and it wasn't called for them either. You played well but got beat by a superior team.

Agreed. Louisville is a top notch team right now. Cincinnati is borderline tournament material, IMO. They are ok, but nothing special. Are they going to make a Sweet 16 run? Probably not, IMO. I look at them much the same way I look at the Buckeyes... yeah, they have a pretty good argument to get in, but if they don't, I don't think I'd call it a travesty.

Sea Ray
02-22-2009, 09:01 PM

I agree U of L is indeed the superior team but do you really think they played so well that UC only deserved to go to the line once the entire game? The home team only going to the line once. That's pretty amazing. For UC to pull that game out they needed some breaks and the officials did not give them any home cooking. Aside from calling fouls, traveling wasn't called enough either.

I was at the game. A buddy of mine called at 1pm and asked if I wanted to go. I was just finishing up at work but I'm glad he caught me. He has great seats and the place was filled. It was a pretty good game overall.

UC's not at Louisville's level but maybe they can beat Huggs next week.

joshnky
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I agree U of L is indeed the superior team but do you really think they played so well that UC only deserved to go to the line once the entire game? The home team only going to the line once. That's pretty amazing. For UC to pull that game out they needed some breaks and the officials did not give them any home cooking. Aside from calling fouls, traveling wasn't called enough either.

Oh, I agree on all points here. I was just saying that the officials didn't call anything for either team and the disparity was only due to Cincy's propensity to shoot the three.

I also agree on the traveling. Every time Clark makes that move across the lane (which he always misses) it looks like he travels. However, it never gets called so maybe the length of his strides make it appear that he is traveling. ;)

As I said before, UC has nothing to be ashamed of and played a pretty good game especially when you consider that McGee completely shut down Vaughn. They'll bounce back and if they can get that win at Syracuse they'll make the tournament.

BearcatShane
02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Here's my breakdown of Big East competitors trying to snatch up NCAA bids:

In my opinion, as of right now, the only locks from the Big east right now are Pittsburgh, Uconn, Louisville, Villanova, and Marquette.

That leaves UC, Syracuse, Providence, Notre Dame, West Virginia and Georgetown fighting for the last 2 and possibly 3 bids.

Lets look at these teams current records, remaining schedule, and overall resume.

Lets start with Syracuse: The Orange are currently 19-8 and 7-7. They have solid wins against Florida and Kansas on neutral courts and a good road win vs Memphis. They close out the regular season at St. Johns, home vs Cincinnati, home vs Rutgers and at Marquette. They probably take the next 3 and lose at Marquette. That would make the Orange 22-9 and 10-8 heading to New York making them pretty much a lock.

Now lets take a look at Providence: The Friars are 16-11 and 8-7. They have bad losses to Northeastern and St. Marys and have a solid win vs Syracuse at home. They close out with Pittsburgh at home, at Rutgers and at Villanova. I say they only beat Rutgers and head to New York 17-13 and 9-9 on the outside looking in at the NCAA Tournament.

Lets go to South Bend: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are 15-11 and 6-8. They have solid wins against Texas, Louisville at home, and a decent win at Providence. A loss at St. Johns is really their only bad loss to speak of. Notre Dame closes out the regular season with Rutgers at home, at Uconn, Villanova at home, and St. Johns at home. I have a feeling Notre Dame wins out at home and loses at Uconn which would put them at 18-12 and 9-9. BUT, I'll say Villanova gets them in South Bend and Notre Dame heads to New York 17-13 and 8-10 on the Outside looking in to the NCAA Tournament.

On to Georgetown: The Hoyas are 14-11 and 5-9. They have solid wins against Memphis and Syracuse at home and Uconn on the road. A loss at Seton Hall is really their only bad loss to speak of. They close out the regular season with Louisville at home, at Villanova and St. Johns and Depaul at home. I say they lose to Louisville and Villanova and knock off St. Johns and Depaul. This would put the Hoyas at 16-13 and 7-9 going to New York. They would need a deep Big east Tournament run to have even a chance to sweat on Selection Sunday.

Now to West Virginia: The Mountaineers are 19-8 and 8-6. They have solid wins at Ohio State and Villanova at home. They don't really have a bad loss to speak off. They close out the regular season at Cincinnati, at South Florida, Depaul at home, and Louisville at home. I say they lose at Cincinnati, beat South Florida and Depaul and lose to Louisville. That would put West Virginia at 21-10 and 10-8 and I think in the NCAA Tournament heading into New York.

Now on to Cincinnati: The Bearcats are 17-10 and 7-7. They really don't have a good, solid win. At UNLV, UAB at home, and Miss. State at home would be nice compliment wins to a win against Louisville or Syracuse. The Bearcats also do not have a bad loss to speak off. They close out the regular season with West Virginia at home, at Syracuse, at South Florida and Seton Hall at home. I say they beat West Virginia, lose at Syracuse and beat South Florida at Seton Hall. This would put the Bearcats at 20-11 and right on the fence of the NCAA Tournament going into the Big East Tournament.

Alright, after doing that I think Syracuse and West Virginia have the inside track to snatch up two NCAA bids with Cincinnati right on their tail. UC needs to beat WVU on Thursday, obviously. Some other big games will be WVU at South Florida, the Mountaineers managed to defeat USF by only 1 point earlier this year at home and a loss to the Bulls could leapfrog UC over WVU. Villanova at Notre Dame, if the Irish can pull that win off they would be 18-12 and 9-9 going to New York, a decent run in the garden and they could get in. UC at Syracuse, UC usually plays them very well and if UC does beat West Virginia Thursday, and then pulled an upset at Syracuse, we would be in barring a meltdown to South Florida and Seton Hall.

Now, here is what I am pretty confident in, many posters on this board are very uneasy to get comfortable with putting UC in the NCAA Tournament unless they finish out 4-0 and win a game in New York because of what happened to us in 2006. Relax. If UC beats WVU, USF and Seton Hall and takes the second round game in New York, we are dancing. That would make us 21-12 and a 8-10 seed.

Roy Tucker
02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
UC is still learning. It will be interesting to see Gates in his sophomore year and see how much he's learned. He is pretty well getting schooled by Big East big men this year.

And UC's effort is better, but isn't total commitment yet. I watched a sequence where Vaughn dribbled a ball off his leg in the backcourt (that the announcers just blathered over and totally missed), Vaughn got mad, had himself a little sulk, and then Louisville ran a play where they rubbed Vaughn off on a baseline pick, Vaughn slacked off for about 2 seconds which was long enough for Gates to get open for a dagger 3. I can't fault Vaughn much for his play (he puts out the most effort of all the Bearcats), but those are the things you can't let happen if you want to be an elite team.

bucksfan2
02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
I thought the officiating was some of the best I have seen all year long. They let each team play and battle. They didn't call the nickle dimer fouls. The game was won by players, not officials.

UC just didn't have it. They relied a little too much on the outside shot early in the game. When the 3's quite falling it was only a matter of time before Louisville pulled away. Sanders proved why he was a top notch recruit and why Gates was lower. Sanders is much more athletic than Gates and it showed later on in the game. IMO Sanders and Earl Clark were two guys that UC had an uphill battle in trying to guard. Those types of athletic big men are the types that Cronin will want to get.

Cyclone792
02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
A couple days late, and while the Louisville loss was a bit disappointing, there wasn't much UC could do, I don't think. Louisville just dominated UC inside and on the boards. UC was able to hang around and grab a lead periodically in the first half when their outside shots were falling, but they still couldn't get anything going inside. When the outside shots stopped falling, Louisville's dominance inside and on the boards allowed them to pull away.

To me, that was just a case of playing an excellent team who happened to play a pretty nice game that night. Then last night Louisville went into Georgetown and pretty much did the same thing to the Hoyas.

UC quite simply has to beat West Virginia on Thursday night to keep their at-large bid tournament hopes alive. If they're unable to beat West Virginia, then they'll have to win out (including beating Syracuse) and then reach the semis in the Big East tourney to get inside the bubble. Right now I think a West Virginia win is more powerful on the resume than a Syracuse win because the Orange have been struggling.

joshnky
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Now lets take a look at Providence: The Friars are 16-11 and 8-7. They have bad losses to Northeastern and St. Marys and have a solid win vs Syracuse at home. They close out with Pittsburgh at home, at Rutgers and at Villanova. I say they only beat Rutgers and head to New York 17-13 and 9-9 on the outside looking in at the NCAA Tournament.

Providence is dominating Pitt tonight. Provided they hold on this is probably the win that puts them in the tournament barring an upset at Rutgers.

Providence is the type of team that will upset someone in the tournament. Senior-laden with good shooters they'll be that 10, 11 , or 12 seed that can win a couple games.

Boston Red
02-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I certainly don't see St. Mary's as a bad loss for Providence, either.

Redlegs23
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Providence hurt UC's chances with that win. UC really must get the job done against WVU & Cuse now.

paintmered
02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Providence hurt UC's chances with that win. UC really must get the job done against WVU & Cuse now.

Yep. UC is looking at a situation where they must win out the regular season. With a trip to upstate New York looming, I don't think it's going to happen.

NIT looks to be the most likely scenario now. And by no means is that a disappointing outcome for this season.

Cyclone792
02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
So ... lil bit of a big game tonight ...

West Virginia rolls in tonight carrying an RPI of 14 as of yesterday. The bracketologists are calling for UC to grab a big win to grab an inside track of the NCAA bubble, and a win over West Virginia would certainly qualify.

Now that it's late in the season, UC's bubble is moving around even on nights they do not play. Here's a sampling of the good and bad from last night:

The Good: Kentucky (my apologies WMR, don't hate!), Kansas State, Maryland, and Dayton all lost

The Bad: Virginia Tech scored a massive win at Clemson, Oklahoma State and Texas also both won

The Unknown: Notre Dame won and UNLV lost. Both teams are on the bubble, yet UC beat both teams. The fine line for UC is wanting those teams to do well to boost UC's quality wins and SOS, but not to do so well that there is risk they would take UC's spot in the NCAAs.

Tonight's key games, besides UC vs. West Virginia (obviously) ...

Temple vs. La Salle - root for La Salle
Minnesota @ Illinois - root for Illinois
Miami (FL) @ Virginia - root for Virginia
Purdue @ Michigan - root for Purdue
USC @ California - root for California
St. Mary's @ Pepperdine - root for Pepperdine

UAB vs. Memphis is another unknown game; UAB is on the bubble right there next to UC, but UC beat UAB. Is it better for UC if UAB beats Memphis or loses to Memphis?

bucksfan2
02-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Its kind of hard to say a game is more important than another but if UC can beat Syracuse away it will stand out more than a win over WVU. I heard some bracket guy saying that its not only victories but where they happen. If UC wants to make the tourney a win over SU is a must. It shows beating a fringe top 25 team on the road. That makes a larger statement than a win over WVU.

NorrisHopper30
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
ESPN guys are already setting stuff up right outside 5/3. I'm pumped.

Orenda
02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok this is going to be off-topic, but I was listening to Pdoc reminisce about former UC players on the radio last night and I began to wonder if James White was still playing ball. I always thought he might have been able to make it in the NBA as a role player who could guard 3's, anyhow just curious if anybody knows if he is still playing

redhawkfish
02-26-2009, 07:17 PM
He is playing for the Anaheim Arsenal along with former RedHawk Chet Mason. White is averaging 25.6 pts a game. Former Bearcat Ron Allen is also on that team!:eek:

Redlegs23
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
I think White will be back in the league soon. He's been dominating in the D league.

It's halftime of the WVU game right now. Huggs made a great adjustment going to the zone to slow down Gates, but Yancey has been dominating the first half.

WMR
02-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Coach Knight said Huggs looked like 300 pounds of butter walking on the sidelines when he wore that mustard colored suit. LMAO great line

WMR
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
umm why did brent musberger just call UC orange bowl champions?

GoReds33
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
umm why did brent musberger just call UC orange bowl champions?
I noticed that too. Also, I thought we used Adidas footballs?:confused:

Never the less, it was a great win. If we can pull one out at Syracuse, and finish strong, we are in.

NatiRedGals
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
So ... lil bit of a big game tonight ...

West Virginia rolls in tonight carrying an RPI of 14 as of yesterday. The bracketologists are calling for UC to grab a big win to grab an inside track of the NCAA bubble, and a win over West Virginia would certainly qualify.

Now that it's late in the season, UC's bubble is moving around even on nights they do not play. Here's a sampling of the good and bad from last night:

The Good: Kentucky (my apologies WMR, don't hate!), Kansas State, Maryland, and Dayton all lost

The Bad: Virginia Tech scored a massive win at Clemson, Oklahoma State and Texas also both won

The Unknown: Notre Dame won and UNLV lost. Both teams are on the bubble, yet UC beat both teams. The fine line for UC is wanting those teams to do well to boost UC's quality wins and SOS, but not to do so well that there is risk they would take UC's spot in the NCAAs.

Tonight's key games, besides UC vs. West Virginia (obviously) ...

Temple vs. La Salle - root for La Salle
Minnesota @ Illinois - root for Illinois
Miami (FL) @ Virginia - root for Virginia
Purdue @ Michigan - root for Purdue
USC @ California - root for California
St. Mary's @ Pepperdine - root for Pepperdine

UAB vs. Memphis is another unknown game; UAB is on the bubble right there next to UC, but UC beat UAB. Is it better for UC if UAB beats Memphis or loses to Memphis?

so far so goood....

UC wins. Illinois wins. La Salle wins! and Virgina is winning!

Boston Red
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
So Mick gets to 2-0 now in the annual Queen City Soap Opera. Congrats to UC on getting back near the right side of the Bubble.

Congrats to Huggins on fallling to 0-4 against teams from Cincinnati since leaving UC.

Cyclone792
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
That was a win that UC absolutely needed! Back on the inside track in the bubble, I think, but we've got plenty of work left to do. Going on the road to Syracuse is going to be tough, but pull a win out there and we'll really be looking pretty.

WMR
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I noticed that too. Also, I thought we used Adidas footballs?:confused:

Never the less, it was a great win. If we can pull one out at Syracuse, and finish strong, we are in.

i think brent musberger's mind is starting to slip just a little bit.

he makes several gaffes every time i watch him.

sometimes he catches himself and quickly corrects himself, sometimes he does not.

huge win for UC. I can't believe how inept WVU was there at the end. :eek:

Orenda
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
huge win for UC. I can't believe how inept WVU was there at the end. :eek:

Yeah it was an ugly final 2 minutes both ways. UC's free throw shooting was awful, they were lucky WVU didn't knock down a shot.

LoganBuck
02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
What a game. I listened to the whole thing. Dan and Chuck were great. They did a great job communicating the excitement of the game.

Question were the fouls as egregious as Dan and Chuck suggested?

Orenda
02-26-2009, 10:05 PM
What a game. I listened to the whole thing. Dan and Chuck were great. They did a great job communicating the excitement of the game.

Question were the fouls as egregious as Dan and Chuck suggested?

I don't know from TV it looked like the refs calls were alright. I thought the technical at the end was probably a little strong, especially considering the situation, it didn't look like the reaction from Larry Davis warranted a technical but then again I don't know what he said either.

LoganBuck
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't know from TV it looked like the refs calls were alright. I thought the technical at the end was probably a little strong, especially considering the situation, it didn't look like the reaction from Larry Davis warranted a technical but then again I don't know what he said either.

He could have called someone a "Jive Turkey".

Cyclone792
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
i think brent musberger's mind is starting to slip just a little bit.

he makes several gaffes every time i watch him.

sometimes he catches himself and quickly corrects himself, sometimes he does not.

Musberger is beyond awful. It doesn't matter what he's calling; he's terrible at it.

On the other hand, Bob Knight was outstanding calling the game tonight. I can't remember the last time an analyst was calling screens, cuts, passes and identifying ball movements just about right as the action was occurring. He's telling viewers the good decisions, the bad decisions and then properly explaining why. He really breaks the game down very, very nicely for the viewer, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Additionally, he's giving his very honest opinion of how well the teams were playing too, and it was refreshing to hear.

Heck, if I have to say, Bob Knight's probably the best color commentator in NCAA hoops. I hope he's picked up for the NCAA tourney.

Boss-Hog
02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
On the other hand, Bob Knight was outstanding calling the game tonight. I can't remember the last time an analyst was calling screens, cuts, passes and identifying ball movements just about right as the action was occurring. He's telling viewers the good decisions, the bad decisions and then properly explaining why. He really breaks the game down very, very nicely for the viewer, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Additionally, he's giving his very honest opinion of how well the teams were playing too, and it was refreshing to hear.

I thought the same thing, too.

WMR
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah Bob Knight is spectacular. He's the only announcer who I honestly feel like I am a smarter basketball fan after having watched/heard.

Cyclone792
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Miami (FL) beat Virginia tonight, but Arizona lost at Washington State. Coming into tonight I thought the Wildcats had a bit of breathing room inside the bubble, but that's not the case anymore. Anytime you drop a game to a team with a 105 RPI, it's going to hurt badly.

The one game that's hurting right now is Michigan beating Purdue. This looks like it's going to be the second time in about a week that one of the "better" Big Ten teams is failing to beat one of the middle-of-the-road Big Ten teams that's on the bubble (the Illinois loss to Penn State last week was disappointing).

Matt700wlw
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah Bob Knight is spectacular. He's the only announcer who I honestly feel like I am a smarter basketball fan after having watched/heard.

I remember Bobby Knight telling a reporter that he thought the profession was a 'step above prostitution.' Gotta love the General :)

Roy Tucker
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Exciting win, but not very pretty. UC's free throw shooting was atrocious and those kids that got technicals would be running the steps from now till Sunday if I were coach. Gates plays a big game and shows what he's capable of. UC finally figured out that 1-3-1 zone (a Huggins team plays zone?). And I thought Huggins looked terrible.

bucksfan2
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Musberger is beyond awful. It doesn't matter what he's calling; he's terrible at it.

Heck, if I have to say, Bob Knight's probably the best color commentator in NCAA hoops. I hope he's picked up for the NCAA tourney.

I actually love Musberger and Knight together. They work very well together. I loved when Knight said that the best play in the Keith Smart jumper was the pass.

I had only one issue with the game. Cronin is an idiot for getting the T when Vaughn traveled/was pushed. But with less than 2 minutes a game the ref should not call a T on any player unless something is done flagrant. An official who is paid to referee 18-22 year olds needs to turn his back and ignore anything a player says during a competitive game down the wire. Absolutely unacceptable officiating by the baseline official to call the T on Davis. Im sorry but as a fan I would have been pissed had a T been called on a WVU player in that same situation. Let the players decide the game not an official with rabbit ears!

WVRed
02-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I found this online earlier and couldn't think of a better place for it.:D

http://www.jonathanrundle.com/images/huggs.gif

PS: I am not a WVU fan.

WMR
02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I actually love Musberger and Knight together. They work very well together. I loved when Knight said that the best play in the Keith Smart jumper was the pass.

I had only one issue with the game. Cronin is an idiot for getting the T when Vaughn traveled/was pushed. But with less than 2 minutes a game the ref should not call a T on any player unless something is done flagrant. An official who is paid to referee 18-22 year olds needs to turn his back and ignore anything a player says during a competitive game down the wire. Absolutely unacceptable officiating by the baseline official to call the T on Davis. Im sorry but as a fan I would have been pissed had a T been called on a WVU player in that same situation. Let the players decide the game not an official with rabbit ears!

Nope, players need to be held accountable. You have no idea what he said to the ref. Players need to be smart enough not to run their mouth with 2 minutes left and the game in the balance, not expect a referee to let them get away with directing profanity towards them just because the game is close.

BRM
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Nope, players need to be held accountable. You have no idea what he said to the ref. Players need to be smart enough not to run their mouth with 2 minutes left and the game in the balance, not expect a referee to let them get away with directing profanity towards them just because the game is close.

I agree completely. Young players need to learn a little self control and composure.

Hoosier Red
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Ironic that you like him and I don't.

Now I haven't heard him on actual games, but in the studio, he's always seemed pretty blase to me.

BearcatShane
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Ironic that you like him and I don't.

Now I haven't heard him on actual games, but in the studio, he's always seemed pretty blase to me.

The way he talks is very bland, but the things he says trump any TV analyst on ESPN.