PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Matt700wlw
11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/askgriff/2008/11/kelly_leads_leavitt_considered.html

I hope UC can change his mind...

Redlegs23
11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Hope he stays, but even if he leaves he's leaving UC in much better shape than when he came in.

paintmered
11-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Whatever happens happens. No matter what, UC is in a better place today than they were two years ago and can continue building on his successes.

UC can't keep him if Tennessee is going to throw stupid money at him. However, it is worth noting that this is coming from an anonymous source.

Boston Red
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Whatever happens happens. No matter what, UC is in a better place today than they were two years ago and can continue building on his successes.

Louisville's is a cautionary tale, though. If necessary, hire carefully.

NorrisHopper30
11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
By an anonymous source. I wouldn't think much of it till we hear it out of the AD's mouth. Rumors are rumors.

KronoRed
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
As a Florida fan I hope he stays put and the other rumor about Dantonio comes true.

Cyclone792
11-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm not really worried about it. So long as Brian Kelly is in Cincinnati, there will be an anonymous source every November and December claiming he's a candidate at x, y, z school.

Sea Ray
11-19-2008, 10:45 PM
As a Florida fan I hope he stays put and the other rumor about Dantonio comes true.

I haven't heard any Dantonio rumors. I think he's very happy at Mich St

As a Tennessee Alum, I'd be very pleased with Brian Kelly. We could do a lot worse. But he's no southerner and I don't think it'll be easy to pry him from UC. In the meantime, I hope he takes UC to the Big East Championship.

As for UC and life after Brian Kelly, my bet is they'll promote Kerry Coombs from within and keep the ball rolling. He's Cincinnati through and through and very energetic. I think UC's program will be fine.

DoogMinAmo
11-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Kerry Combs within the next 3 years would be nothing but a disappointment.

dougdirt
11-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Kerry Combs within the next 3 years would be nothing but a disappointment.

Being a Colerain grad, I would agree. He needs to at least be a coordinator before taking over the reigns at a college.

MWM
11-19-2008, 11:20 PM
That's who I thought Michigan should have hired.

dabvu2498
11-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Kelly would be a bad fit at UT imo. They like their coaches genial and jolly. Not to say that he couldnt do a good job there. He very well could. I just do not see it. I keep thinking Mike Leach but he may be too far out for Knoxville and he may not want to leave Lubbock anyway. I'm surprised David Cutcliffe's name is not coming up more.

KronoRed
11-20-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm surprised David Cutcliffe's name is not coming up more.

He was a failure at Ole Miss and winning a few games at Duke isn't exatly a great resume, they would be wise to avoid that boat.

bucksfan2
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I think Kelly would be a bad fit at a big program. He is the perfect type of coach for an up and coming school where scheme and style can bridge the talent gap. At UT he would be at the center of a huge fan base. Every move would be watched and dissected. At UC if he were to step out on the streets how many fans would notice him?

WVRed
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Kelly would be a bad fit at UT imo. They like their coaches genial and jolly. Not to say that he couldnt do a good job there. He very well could. I just do not see it. I keep thinking Mike Leach but he may be too far out for Knoxville and he may not want to leave Lubbock anyway. I'm surprised David Cutcliffe's name is not coming up more.

Tennessee wants to cut all ties with the Fulmer era from what I have read.

Sea Ray
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Tennessee wants to cut all ties with the Fulmer era from what I have read.

Also Cutcliffe took his name out of the running. I don't think he wants to replace his buddy

DoogMinAmo
11-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I think Kelly would be a bad fit at a big program. He is the perfect type of coach for an up and coming school where scheme and style can bridge the talent gap. At UT he would be at the center of a huge fan base. Every move would be watched and dissected. At UC if he were to step out on the streets how many fans would notice him?

Kelly wants notoriety, but he certainly has it here in Cincinnati. But you are quite correct, he has a lot more leeway here than he would have in Knoxville.

NatiRedGals
11-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I dont think he we will go i think he enjoys it here. Likes being able to be a main reason a team is becoming better and gaining popularity. And UC is doing everything possible they can to help him stay here doing exactlly what he wants i doubt a school such as the Vols will let him have as much control as he dose here in cincinnati. A bad game here and there here has people saying we will get them next week. Bad game here and there at vols is also a whole different story. I have followed UC basketball and Football most of my life yes im only 18 but I think Mick Cronin and Brian Kelly are doing wonders for there respective sports.

Chip R
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Kelly wants notoriety, but he certainly has it here in Cincinnati. But you are quite correct, he has a lot more leeway here than he would have in Knoxville.

Of course he's always going to play 3rd or 4th fiddle here to the Reds, Bengals and college basketball.

Cyclone792
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Of course he's always going to play 3rd or 4th fiddle here to the Reds, Bengals and college basketball.

More often than not he will, but I don't think he'll have to worry as much about them. Cincinnati fans are notorious for riding on whatever bandwagon is the biggest and most convenient. If UC football is consistently winning, the bandwagon will drive strong into Nippert each weekend. Then again, Cincinnati fans are also completely delusional by continuing to support a professional football franchise that ought to be contracted.

I'm just hoping for two things primarily, 1) that the alums come back and create a new foundation in support of the program, and 2) the current student base helps out with that foundation.

NatiRedGals
11-20-2008, 12:54 PM
More often than not he will, but I don't think he'll have to worry as much about them. Cincinnati fans are notorious for riding on whatever bandwagon is the biggest and most convenient. If UC football is consistently winning, the bandwagon will drive strong into Nippert each weekend. Then again, Cincinnati fans are also completely delusional by continuing to support a professional football franchise that ought to be contracted.

I'm just hoping for two things primarily, 1) that the alums come back and create a new foundation in support of the program, and 2) the current student base helps out with that foundation.

Amen to that heres to reviving UC Sports:thumbup:

WVRed
11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
i doubt a school such as the Vols will let him have as much control as he dose here in cincinnati. A bad game here and there here has people saying we will get them next week. Bad game here and there at vols is also a whole different story.

One thing to keep in mind regarding Tennessee is that Fulmer has been there for 16 years. Johnny Majors, who was the head coach before Fulmer, was there for 15. Tennessee is pretty generous when it comes to giving coaches leeway.

That being said, I don't think Kelly is going to be the homerun hire compared to Michigan last year with Rodriguez. I don't really know who would qualify though.

Chip R
11-20-2008, 01:20 PM

It's not just about attendance though. As Doog said, it's about notoriety. If he wants that, he would get that in Knoxville where it's all about UT football for better or for worse. No matter how well the basketball programs do there UT football is always going to be top dog. It's about playing on ESPN Saturday afternoons and evenings rather than during the week on ESPNU. It's about opening up the morning paper and having the headline on the front page extolling your latest victory or loss. It's about having the phone lines on the local talk shows jammed with people wanting to talk about the game rather than having the hosts begging people to call and talk about it because everybody wants to talk about why the Bengals lost again. It's about being in a football conference rather than a basketball conference. If he wants that, he should go to UT if they offer him the job. If he's hypersensitive and doesn't want the criticism that goes along with a job like that, he should stay here.

Personally, I think he'll stay. He's only been here a few years and it'll look bad if he job hops. If he's good enough and he wants to move up to the next level, another job will open up for him just as good if not better than the UT job. The Bama job should open up in a couple of years. ;)

LoganBuck
11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I said it before, buy season tickets. Give them as gifts for Christmas. If you want him to stay, UC needs the cash.

Roy Tucker
11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
As a tangental Brian Kelly comment, that was a heckuva ballgame last night between Kelly's old Central Michigan Univ. and Ball State. Ball State won 31-24 in a real see-saw affair.

One of the best football games I've seen this season.

dougdirt
11-20-2008, 02:56 PM
As a tangental Brian Kelly comment, that was a heckuva ballgame last night between Kelly's old Central Michigan Univ. and Ball State. Ball State won 31-24 in a real see-saw affair.

One of the best football games I've seen this season.

It was pretty good. Not the best I have seen this year, but its gotta be in the top 10.

bucksfan2
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
It's not just about attendance though. As Doog said, it's about notoriety. If he wants that, he would get that in Knoxville where it's all about UT football for better or for worse. No matter how well the basketball programs do there UT football is always going to be top dog. It's about playing on ESPN Saturday afternoons and evenings rather than during the week on ESPNU. It's about opening up the morning paper and having the headline on the front page extolling your latest victory or loss. It's about having the phone lines on the local talk shows jammed with people wanting to talk about the game rather than having the hosts begging people to call and talk about it because everybody wants to talk about why the Bengals lost again. It's about being in a football conference rather than a basketball conference. If he wants that, he should go to UT if they offer him the job. If he's hypersensitive and doesn't want the criticism that goes along with a job like that, he should stay here.

Personally, I think he'll stay. He's only been here a few years and it'll look bad if he job hops. If he's good enough and he wants to move up to the next level, another job will open up for him just as good if not better than the UT job. The Bama job should open up in a couple of years. ;)

Another plus with the UT job is that Javy and all his women attend the games. ;)

Chip this is something I will never understand with college football coaches. Kelly has a job with a BCS team that has an easier route to a BCS Bowl or BCS Championship game. He is well compensated as coach of UC but obviously not as much as he would be as coach of UT. He also is in a low stress situation. While UC football is starting to garner water cooler talk in Cincinnati, it still has a long way to go. Remember his decision to take the safety against WVU instead of punting the ball? That was big for maybe a day in Cincy, down in Knoxville that would be talked about non stop for weeks.

IMO Kelly has a pretty good gig at UC. It isn't the mecca of college football but it also isn't Siberia. He is getting the program established and probably could take UC to a VaTech or Kansas St. type program if he stays. He will be able to dictate his own terms and become the King of Clifton. Down in Knoxville every single move of his will be scrutinized. I guess the biggest question is "Is it worth it?"

Cyclone792
11-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Kelly has a job with a BCS team that has an easier route to a BCS Bowl or BCS Championship game.

Kelly himself has mentioned that, which is one reason why I'm not that concerned.

If he bails, he bails, but he also knows that he's got a clear route to a national championship here in Cincinnati. If UC would go undefeated anytime in the near future, they're likely in the national championship, especially since they've shown a willingness to schedule one or two tough non-conference games (Oregon State last year, at Oklahoma, at Hawaii, etc.). Undefeated in the Big East and undefeated in non-conference with a couple nice wins, and the only way they're out is if there's other major conference undefeated teams.

Chip R
11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Another plus with the UT job is that Javy and all his women attend the games. ;)

No wonder they average 100K per game. ;)

Chip this is something I will never understand with college football coaches. Kelly has a job with a BCS team that has an easier route to a BCS Bowl or BCS Championship game. He is well compensated as coach of UC but obviously not as much as he would be as coach of UT. He also is in a low stress situation. While UC football is starting to garner water cooler talk in Cincinnati, it still has a long way to go. Remember his decision to take the safety against WVU instead of punting the ball? That was big for maybe a day in Cincy, down in Knoxville that would be talked about non stop for weeks.

IMO Kelly has a pretty good gig at UC. It isn't the mecca of college football but it also isn't Siberia. He is getting the program established and probably could take UC to a VaTech or Kansas St. type program if he stays. He will be able to dictate his own terms and become the King of Clifton. Down in Knoxville every single move of his will be scrutinized. I guess the biggest question is "Is it worth it?"

BCS bowl, sure. BCS Championship game, not so much. Theoretically they have as good a shot as anyone but the Big East along with the ACC (and perhaps the Big 10) is going to have a tougher shot at getting into that game as someone from the SEC or Big 12 or Pac 10. They may be better than those teams but the polls don't always reflect that. There's no way a Big East team would get to the BCS Championship game with 2 losses like other teams have. There's no Big East championship game that would allow that. If Kelly stays here, trips to the Orange Bowl may become routine.

It really depends on what Kelly wants. If he's happy being the proverbial one eyed king in the land of the blind, that's terrific. If he's hungering for something more, he has to know the pitfalls that go along with that. If he wants the attention and adulation he's going to have to accept the criticism. The only reason that safety was a topic of conversation was that the Bengals had the week off. If they were playing that weekend, it may have been a hot topic on a UC message board but everyone else would have been talking about the Bengals latest disaster.

The way I see it is that these coaches want to prove they can be the best in their profession. Just like any competitive athlete, they want to prove themselves agains the best of the best. That's why high school coaches go to colleges and college coaches go to the bigger schools or the pros. Sometimes they are comfortable where they are at and they will stay there for life.

Sea Ray
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
There is the money thing. UT would probably pay about $3mill/yr, UC about $1mill. $2mill is a lot of jack to leave on the table unless he has his eye on another job. The other issue is with the practice fields. They haven't secured financing yet and if Kelly doesn't see that happening he may want to bail.

Hey, do any of you see this weekend's game vs Pitt having an impact on this decision one way or another? If UC loses, does it help push him to UT or not?

Hoosier Red
11-20-2008, 05:53 PM

You know that's a point a lot of "mid major" basketball coaches are starting to see. Guys like Sean Miller, John Calipari, Brad Stevens(if he stays at Butler), and Mark Few are in a great spot. They now have the cache to be able to recruit on a national level, they play in conferences which for the most part will not challenge them. They can make the tournament every year and really as we saw with Memphis are at no real disadvantage if they want to make a run at the title.

I think it's easier to be "mid-major" in basketball and compete for the Final Four or title though.

SunDeck
11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I think that point about whether it's worth it is valid. UT fans, like many major football programs have extremely high expectations for coaches and microscopic amounts of patience. And being the King of Clifton at a BCS school might not be bad, by comparison.

dabvu2498
11-20-2008, 06:01 PM
It's not easier to make a BCS bowl game either. Only one big east team will go and 2 sec teams will make it. At least for the forseeable future.

paintmered
11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't buy the argument that a Big East team can't make it to the national championship game. WVU was one game away from doing just that last year. Any team that goes undefeated in a BCS conference is likely headed to the national championship game, Big East included.

WVRed
11-20-2008, 11:47 PM
There is the money thing. UT would probably pay about $3mill/yr, UC about $1mill. $2mill is a lot of jack to leave on the table unless he has his eye on another job. The other issue is with the practice fields. They haven't secured financing yet and if Kelly doesn't see that happening he may want to bail.

Hey, do any of you see this weekend's game vs Pitt having an impact on this decision one way or another? If UC loses, does it help push him to UT or not?

Another thing to point out, and I will use this as the same argument I used against WVU fans with Rich Rodriguez and Michigan.

Tennessee is one of the top college football jobs in the nation, just like Michigan was last year. While Kelly could do a good job at Cincinnati, he isn't going to get the exposure there nationally that he would with Tennessee. Not only is it better pay, but you are also opening the door to recruits who otherwise would have never considered playing for Kelly if he stays at UC.

It's high risk-high reward for Kelly. He can walk into a better paying job with better tools to recruit better players with loftier expectations, or he can stay at Cincinnati if he feels it's not the best offer or he feels at home.

Chip R
11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't buy the argument that a Big East team can't make it to the national championship game. WVU was one game away from doing just that last year. Any team that goes undefeated in a BCS conference is likely headed to the national championship game, Big East included.

It's not impossible, just more difficult.

SeeinRed
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
At least UC is trying to keep him here. This could be a huge step in the right direction. UC unveiled plans for its new practice dome (http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=09e3baf2-dbba-4ed3-b2bb-3879712cb392).

SunDeck
11-21-2008, 12:04 PM
How highly is the local recruitment base ranked? I don't follow that kind of stuff, but it seems to me that there's an awful lot of talent in the tri-state area. Obviously, a national program gets more and better recruits, but it seems like UC could benefit a lot from developing a program that kids from this region want to play for.

I know this doesn't bear on the Kelly to Tennessee question- I'm just curious about the local talent and where they end up going.

Sea Ray
11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Financially speaking the guy who takes the UT job is set for life. He'll get at least $3mill/yr for a couple years and then if he's fired he'll get a nice buyout. Fulmer got a $6mill buyout. Maybe some of you are independently wealthy, but think about that for a moment. If he leaves and says he's doing the right thing for his family, he's speaking the truth.

WLW was reporting yesterday that UC asst coaches are already looking for jobs because they're so certain Kelly is gone to UT. I have mixed emotions because I really like both programs.

NorrisHopper30
11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLrDVxGlTM
Turn up the volume it's kinda quiet.

paintmered
11-21-2008, 05:03 PM
WLW was reporting yesterday that UC asst coaches are already looking for jobs because they're so certain Kelly is gone to UT. I have mixed emotions because I really like both programs.

This is the reason why I think the report is bunk. During the last move, Kelly took everyone (minus the new Central Michigan head coach) with him to Cincinnati. He and coach Longo, in particular are tied at the hip. Interestingly, Longo has an independent contract with UC that doesn't expire until after next year. So even if Kelly ran, Longo wouldn't be allowed to go with him.

He's had this coaching staff with him for at least a decade. He's not going to leave them behind.

Chip R
11-21-2008, 05:26 PM
WLW was reporting yesterday

Actually, this is the reason why the report is bunk.

Sea Ray
11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Turn up the volume it's kinda quiet.

"A blogger has a source that Kelly is the front runner"...great. That could be as solid as anyone of us making that announcement :rolleyes:

Chip R
11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
The UC kickoff being pushed back at least 11 minutes for a Boise State-Nevada game is something that doesn't happen at Tennessee or any other big time program in a big time conference. That's not a knock on UC but it's just one of the things Kelly has to take into consideration.

morande
11-22-2008, 08:58 PM

I wouldnt exactly call General Fulmer jolly!! cutcliffe came up a bunch and said he wouldnt leave Duke

Matt700wlw
11-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Actually, this is the reason why the report is bunk.

It was a Dennis Dodd (CBS Sportsline) that suggested this...it's not something we just made up.

Chip R
11-22-2008, 09:20 PM
It was a Dennis Dodd (CBS Sportsline) that suggested this...it's not something we just made up.

You've heard of the story of the boy who cried wolf, haven't you?

Reds Fanatic
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
According to ESPN Lane Kiffin former Raiders coach has reached an agreement to become the new Tennessee coach

paintmered
11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Now Pear Bryant needs to stick at ND for another season...

dabvu2498
11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Lane Kiffin? Best part of that is the likely return of Coach O to the S EC.

Unassisted
11-28-2008, 04:58 PM
According to ESPN Lane Kiffin former Raiders coach has reached an agreement to become the new Tennessee coach

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8863202/Reports:-Kiffin-reaches-deal-to-take-over-Vols

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2008, 05:34 PM
As long as he doesn't take pops with him... :)

WVRed
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
As long as he doesn't take pops with him... :)

Which is being rumored on ESPN. Apparently he has talked to Monte about joining him in Tennessee.

With Monte and Coach O, Tennessee could rebuild in a hurry and be scary good.

dabvu2498
11-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Just had this thought: does anyone else think it is less than classy for Tennessee to let this slip out the day before Phil Fulmer Day in Knoxville?

Sea Ray
11-30-2008, 11:39 AM
If this is all the better they could do, they should have stuck with Fulmer. I hope I'm wrong

Revering4Blue
11-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Ouch!

Lane Kiffin hired at Tennessee – We will have a lot more to say about Lane Kiffin when he is officially hired at Tennessee on Monday, but just the idea of Tennessee reaching so far down the coaching ranks to hire a guy that would probably not be on Utah State, San Diego State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, and Syracuse’s list of legitimate candidates for a new head coach should tell you all that you need to know about Lane Kiffin getting hired at Tennessee. A few of us here at Coaches Hot Seat know a few Oakland Raiders’ players and we are thinking about telling a few stories about Kiffin’s tenure at Oakland, but doing so may make Tennessee’s new hire look so dumb that they might change their mind, so we are still considering those stories. Of course, the Raiders is a dysfunctional organization and Lane walked into a disaster in Oakland, but with his Dad being in the League so long we have to believe that Kiffin knew exactly what he was getting into and everyone tells us that it went south with Davis and the Raiders organization pretty quickly. Lane Kiffin has a very unique personality and although we have never had a problem with Kiffin, he strikes us as someone that as Barry Switzer says…

“Is born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.”

By any measure Lane Kiffin is not qualified to be the head football coach at the University of Tennessee, and by any measure he is only marginally qualified to be the head football coach at San Diego State. That should tell everyone, including everyone at Tennessee a lot…

Since we do trade in the firing and hiring of college football coaches here at Coaches Hot Seat, we do think about coaches that would have the ability to move up in the coaching profession from their current head and assistant coaches’ positions and to that point we have a large board up on the wall here at Coaches Hot Seat Central where we list the head and assistant coaches that we believe are most ready and qualified to move up to “Major” and “Minor” head coaching jobs and we rank those coaches from 1 on down until we get to the last coach we believe is ready for the “Major” and “Minor” coaching jobs. We consider Tennessee a “Major” head coaching job, as is Clemson, Syracuse and Washington in our minds, and we believe there are approximately 40 to 45 “Major” head coaching jobs in I-A football today . To that point there is a large board on the wall here that has as its title…

Head and Assistant Coaches Ready to Move Up to “Major” Head Coaching Jobs

…and here are those coaches starting from the No. 1 spot in order from 1 to 100 that we believe are ready to move to “Major” Head Coaching Jobs

1. Chris Peterson, Boise State

2. Mike Leach, Texas Tech

3. Gary Patterson, TCU

4. Bronco Mendenhall, BYU

5. Kyle Whittingham, Utah

6. Norm Chow, UCLA OC

7. Troy Calhoun, Air Force

8. Greg Schiano, Rutgers

9. Pat Hill, Fresno State

10. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

11. Todd Graham, Tulsa

12. Dave Christensen, Missouri OC

13. Will Muschamp, Texas, DC

14. Bud Foster, Virginia Tech, DC

15. Brent Venables, Oklahoma DC

16. Skip Holtz, East Carolina

16. Brady Hoke, Ball State

17. Butch Jones, Central Michigan

18. Turner Gill, Buffalo

19. Mike Locksley, Illinois OC

20. David Bailiff, Rice

21 – 74. Other Head and Assistant Coaches

75. Mike Bobo, Georgia OC

76. Tyrone Nix, Ole Miss DC

77. Doc Holliday, West Virginia asst.

78. Brock Spack, Purdue OC.....

Where is Lane Kiffin?

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatBlogSample.htm

WVRed
11-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Kiffin is being hired based on his credentials and connections only, not based on whether or not he has had any success as a head football coach in college.

1.NFL Experience. Even if it was with the Raiders, he still has a way into recruits homes even with the Tennessee letterhead. It's what has made coaches like Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and Tim Floyd hot commodities in college basketball.

2.Monte Kiffin may be joining him at Tennessee, as well as Ed Orgeron. With Dad controlling the offense, Lane could focus on the offense.

Of course, Charlie Weis had no college head coaching experience and we all know how that is working out. At least Kiffin had the Raiders.

Sea Ray
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I think Kiffin is being hired based on his credentials and connections only, not based on whether or not he has had any success as a head football coach in college.

1.NFL Experience. Even if it was with the Raiders, he still has a way into recruits homes even with the Tennessee letterhead. It's what has made coaches like Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and Tim Floyd hot commodities in college basketball.

2.Monte Kiffin may be joining him at Tennessee, as well as Ed Orgeron. With Dad controlling the offense, Lane could focus on the offense.

Of course, Charlie Weis had no college head coaching experience and we all know how that is working out. At least Kiffin had the Raiders.

Lane wasn't hired on any credentials. He was hired based on convenience and timing. He was the only coach who could come in right now, take over, and start recruiting. He'll likely be as successful as another SEC coach who had a famous Dad, Mike Shula.

With this hire it's all about his asst coaches. The only way he can be successful is by being a delegator and delegating to talented folks around him. The only positive I can see to this is he may run a pro set offense.

Sea Ray
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
…and here are those coaches starting from the No. 1 spot in order from 1 to 100 that we believe are ready to move to “Major” Head Coaching Jobs

Where's Brian Kelly on that list?

Chip R
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Where's Brian Kelly on that list?

Perhaps they feel UC is a major head coaching job.

dabvu2498
12-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Perhaps they feel UC is a major head coaching job. and Texas Tech is not?

Sea Ray
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Perhaps they feel UC is a major head coaching job.

If they do then that's a headline in and of itself. A school that draws 30K a game is a major head coaching job?

Chip R
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
If they do then that's a headline in and of itself. A school that draws 30K a game is a major head coaching job?

That's pretty good considering the capacity. All the head coaches on that list except for Leach were in non BCS conferences. Maybe that's the the criteria he's using, I don't know.

cincrazy
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Lane wasn't hired on any credentials. He was hired based on convenience and timing. He was the only coach who could come in right now, take over, and start recruiting. He'll likely be as successful as another SEC coach who had a famous Dad, Mike Shula.

With this hire it's all about his asst coaches. The only way he can be successful is by being a delegator and delegating to talented folks around him. The only positive I can see to this is he may run a pro set offense.

Mike Shula... Ick. Talk about setting a program back for a few years.

HotCorner
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
That's pretty good considering the capacity. All the head coaches on that list except for Leach were in non BCS conferences. Maybe that's the the criteria he's using, I don't know.

Schiano (Rutgers) and Fitzgerald (Northwestern) are on the list. I think the writer simply missed Kelly.

Chip R
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Getting back to Kiffin, it looks like Spurrier is accusing him of poaching his recruits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Welcome-to-the-SEC-cheater-Signed-Ol-Ball-Co?urn=ncaaf,125819

dougdirt
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
From Ctrent

In the middle of a press confernece with Brian Kelly and Mike Thomas.

The two, along with Jeff Wyler and Nancy Zimpher, met this morning.

"I’m here to tell you, that I’m committed to the University of Cincinnati," Kelly said.

Also, "All I can say is, with all the speculation and the jobs that are out there, sometime or later, no means no. No one ever speaks in terms of forever and forever. There’s been a lot of interest in my services, but I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons."

* Mike Thomas said Nippert is being expanded.

Reds Freak
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
From Ctrent

In the middle of a press confernece with Brian Kelly and Mike Thomas.

The two, along with Jeff Wyler and Nancy Zimpher, met this morning.

"Iím here to tell you, that Iím committed to the University of Cincinnati," Kelly said.

Also, "All I can say is, with all the speculation and the jobs that are out there, sometime or later, no means no. No one ever speaks in terms of forever and forever. Thereís been a lot of interest in my services, but I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons."

* Mike Thomas said Nippert is being expanded.

That's nice to hear, I hope he does stay. I also remember Mr. Thad Matta saying the same thing about a week or so before he took the OSU job. And is Jeff Wyler the same Jeff Wyler from the car dealerships? Why would he be involved in that meeting?

dougdirt
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
That's nice to hear, I hope he does stay. I also remember Mr. Thad Matta saying the same thing about a week or so before he took the OSU job. And is Jeff Wyler the same Jeff Wyler from the car dealerships? Why would he be involved in that meeting?

Yes it is the same Jeff Wyler and because he is on the Board at the school.

HeatherC1212
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
There's an article up at the Enquirer website about this too:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081202/SPT0101/312020081/1064

I hope BK does stay because he's done a lot for UC's football program and it would be a shame for the guys to be left in the dust by a coach all over again. :(

Matt700wlw
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
C Trent:

UPDATE: Mike Thomas said there were three parts of the meeting:

1. practice facilities and indoor facilities -- those are on track, he said.

2. 'operation pieces' -- "There’s a laundry list of those things and they’re going to happen." Basically a bigger budget.

3. The expansion of Nippert Stadium, including more seats, luxury boxes and infrastructure such as restrooms and concession stands.

This is the "trigger moment to launch that thing."

"I think you can't put a price tag on what this has done for this program, this department, this university and this community," Thomas said.

Kelly said he was excited about the message he received in today's meeting with Thomas, Zimpher and Wyler.

"I too need the gas to run, and today my tank was filled," Kelly said.

Kelly said he's told other universities that he's not going to be interested in their jobs.

"My name has come out with virtually every job that's out there," Kelly said. "I'm hoping very soon Obama mentions my name as ambassadorship to Ireland, that would be nice. That may continue to happen, but I can tell you that I'm going to be at the University of Cincinnati."

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes it is the same Jeff Wyler and because he is on the Board at the school.

And because he's one of the wealthier local alums -- one who has ties to lots of other peoplem with the kind of deep pockets that will form the booster-base that will be required to start pushing UC to the next level financially.

SunDeck
12-02-2008, 03:06 PM
And because he's one of the wealthier local alums -- one who has ties to lots of other peoplem with the kind of deep pockets that will form the booster-base that will be required to start pushing UC to the next level financially.

Desperately searching for a reference to college degrees being cheaper in the country, but I'm giving up.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Desperately searching for a reference to college degrees being cheaper in the country, but I'm giving up.

I'm just wondering if he started the meeting by telling Brian Kelly: "Hello, I'm Jeff Wyler."

highheat11
12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
CINCINNATI -- Coach Brian Kelly says he's happy with the steps No. 13 Cincinnati is taking to upgrade its football facilities, and he's not interested in any job elsewhere.

Kelly met Tuesday with the school's president, athletic director and the head of its board of trustees to get an update on their plans to improve Cincinnati's football stadium and practice fields. He was upbeat after the meeting, saying there was no reason to listen to other job offers.

Kelly has been mentioned as a candidate for numerous job openings as soon as the Bearcats finished No. 17 in his first year.

The Bearcats (10-2) won the Big East title this season, sending them to the first BCS bowl in school history. A win Saturday at Hawaii would set a school record for victories in a season.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3739515

HeatherC1212
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
"My name has come out with virtually every job that's out there," Kelly said. "I'm hoping very soon Obama mentions my name as ambassadorship to Ireland, that would be nice. That may continue to happen, but I can tell you that I'm going to be at the University of Cincinnati."

Well, at least he could do the ambassador stuff during the offseason, LOL :laugh:

dougdirt
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm just wondering if he started the meeting by telling Brian Kelly: "Hello, I'm Jeff Wyler."

We can only hope

Sea Ray
12-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Getting back to Kiffin, it looks like Spurrier is accusing him of poaching his recruits.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

I would certainly hope this guy would go after any and all recruits at this point. That's how the game is played. They're not "his" recruits until signing day.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Though I feel compelled to point out, admist these reassurances by Kelly, that college football head coaches usually have about as much credibility as Baghdad Bob when they insist, over and over again, their intentions to stay in their current job.

GoReds33
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I really like the talk of expanding Nippert. Trahan architects did a design a few years ago that looks very good. I don't know when the construction may start, or even when it will be finalized. I'm hopeful something starts this offseason though.

Matt700wlw
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/12/02/on_the_stadium_expansion

Stadium expansion stuff.

paintmered
12-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm absolutely giddy right now.

Reading over some stuff, it looks like a different team will handle the design for the Nippert expansion. So it will probably look different than the Trahan design when it's all said and done.

Cyclone792
12-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm absolutely giddy right now.

Reading over some stuff, it looks like a different team will handle the design for the Nippert expansion. So it will probably look different than the Trahan design when it's all said and done.

This is huge news for us. I went to four games this year (three home, one away), and I'm now seriously considering grabbing a season ticket package as well as tossing in another road game next season.

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/blog/spec-rel/120208aaa.html

Dec. 2, 2008

(12:40 p.m.): Brian Kelly made a strong statement today regarding his future at UC. In essence, he says he's staying. This, after a meeting this morning with school president Nancy Zimpher, chairman of the board of trustees Jeff Wyler, athletic director Mike Thomas and Kelly to discuss the future infrastructure of the Bearcats program.

"I am here to tell you that I am committed to the University of Cincinnati," BK said at his weekly news conference. "I can tell you my name is always going to be out there and we're flattered about that. There's no question my family and I have made a decision that Cincinnati is going to be where we are."

I asked if he was saying he wasn't going to entertain any offers after the regular season.

"My intention as I stand in front of you right now, I want to coach this football team," BK said. "After today's meeting, I feel great about having that laid out in front of me. I'm going to be the football coach at the university. Right now and into the future."

Yeah, but what about the Notre Dame job to which you've been linked? What happens if that comes open?

"All I can say is with all the speculation and all the jobs that have been out there, sooner or later, no means no," BK said. "I don't want to ever speak in terms of forever and ever, what I can tell you is there's been a lot of interest in my services. I went to be here in the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons. My wife and kids love it here. I've got great people to work with. It's a really good situation. It's only going to get better. For the present and future, I expect to be here at the University of Cincinnati coaching football."

UPDATE (2:22 p.m.):

Mike Thomas was the first to address us this afternoon, and he talked about the expansion of Nippert Stadium (UC is studying the issue and coming up with a plan to get it done), new practice facilities (on track to be completed by next year, as per BK’s contract) and more money for the football program’s operational budget.

Let’s shoot it over to Mike Thomas for comment.

“This (practice field) is important for the day-to-day success of our program but also for the quality experience of our student-athletes,” Thomas said. “That’s a basic 101 type opportunity we should provide our coaches and student athletes. No. 2, there are some things operationally within (BK’s) budget that allow him to continue to be successful and competitive and to provide a quality experience for our student-athletes. Those things are going to happen. They will be in the plan for this fiscal year or next year, based on what’s really needed.

“The third piece is important, and it’s Nippert Stadium. Nippert Stadium has always been to some extent a facility that needs to be addressed. We were in the midst of a capital campaign, and Nippert Stadium was in the capital campaign. We really needed a trigger moment to launch that thing. Right now, we really have an infrastructure that can’t accommodate 35,000 people, let alone adding additional seats, premium seats, club seats, and dealing with infrastructure as it relates to restrooms and concession stands and merchandise stands. We needed certainly to have that as part of the agenda. I’m very comfortable as it relates to where that sits.”

Thomas doesn’t know how much the stadium will expand or how much it will cost. He said he wasn’t comfortable in disclosing a ballpark figure for either. But he went on to say he had architects studying Nippert during the Pitt game, because Thomas wanted them to see the stadium at its most stressed. From there, UC will receive cost estimates. What UC would like to do: add seats, build club seats and luxury boxes (that will help pay for the costs of the expansion and will continue to provide the school a source of income), and possibly expanding concourses and adding restrooms/merchandise stands/concession stands. From there, you start raising money to pay for it all.

Sounds like a visit or two to Paul Brown Stadium also still is in the cards, especially if construction at Nippert becomes an issue.

BK seemed happy about everything.

“Leaders need to be energized,” BK said. “As I’m out there as the face for this football program, I, too, need the gas to run. Today my tank was filled. It was filled because the message was reinforced today. It was given to me two years ago when I took the job here, the commitment to excellence and academics and athletics. That was not made any more clearly than in the meeting I had this morning with President Zimpher and allows me to continue to build this program on a day-to-day basis and into the future.”

Line of the day also goes to BK as he discussed other potential job openings:

“My name has come up with virtually every job that’s been out there. I’m hoping very soon Obama mentions my name for the ambassadorship to Ireland.”

Regarding a new contract for BK, he said he and Thomas had begun discussions. They are not ready to announce anything, although BK alluded to maybe saying something in Hawaii. But it sounds like BK will be in for another raise.

I don’t know, you think he’s earned it?

Cyclone792
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Here is some future non-conference scheduling information. Huge games are on the non-conference schedule; too bad certain other BCS teams can't follow suit.

9-19 @ Oregon State
9-26 Fresno State
TBA @ Miami OH
TBA SE Missouri State
TBA Illinois

9-4 @ North Carolina State
9-11 Miami OH
9-18 @ Fresno State
9-25 Oklahoma

9-3 North Carolina State
9-10 @ Miami OH
9-17 Akron
TBA San Diego State

9-8 @ Ohio State
9-29 @ Miami FL
TBA Miami OH
TBA Virginia Tech

TBA Purdue
TBA @ Miami OH

9-6 @ Ohio State
TBA @ Purdue
TBA Miami OH

9-12 Air Force
TBA Purdue
TBA @ Miami OH

Sea Ray
12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
So far Kelly is good with staying at UC. Doesn't sound like he's swayed to go to Seattle. That's another world out there, but what if Notre Dame cans Weiss and comes calling? That's one job that would be hard for him to pass up.

Sea Ray
12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
How'd he get Oklahoma to come to UC in 2010? That's quite a coup. Good for him.

2012 schedule looks brutal

GoReds33
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
We have a tough home schedule next year. I think all the games, except SE Missouri State will be sellouts. That will really put a strain on the Nip. I know these renovations won't be done, and may not even be started, but it will be great when I don't worry about huge crowds at the games.

GoReds33
12-02-2008, 07:05 PM

2012 schedule looks brutalThat's part of the deal, because we played there this year. Unlike OSU, OU was willing to do a one and one with us. The game will be played at PBS, though.

Matt700wlw
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM

I guess Ohio State wouldn't... :duel:

Cyclone792
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM

Home and home with the game earlier this season in Oklahoma. It looks like UC from 2007-10 did an every other year home and home with Oklahoma and Oregon State (home vs. Oregon State in 2007, @ Oregon State in 2009, @ Oklahoma in 2008, home vs. Oklahoma in 2010).

I love that 2012 non-conference schedule. It looks like Ohio State, Miami (FL), and Virginia Tech. THAT is a non-conference schedule right there. THAT is what college football non-conference schedules should look like.

There are rumors that Illinois might be a home and home, though I'm fairly certain the game next year is now locked in with Illinois coming into town. This would mean that the above schedule would also include a road game in Illinois.

There are also other rumors of Georgia finding its way on the schedule. That'd be another coup.

Here's what we have for now though against BCS schools that should be locked up:

2 vs. Ohio State
2 vs. Purdue
2 vs. NC State
1 vs. Miami (FL)
1 vs. Virginia Tech
1 vs. Oklahoma
1 vs. Oregon State

Also, FWIW, Air Force and Fresno State are two of the better high/mid major teams right now. Whether that remains the case in the future is unknown, but they're decent right now.

Cyclone792
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I guess Ohio State wouldn't... :duel:

Many Ohio State fans have been busy the past few days taking the bait that Mardy Gilyard and the UC marketing department dropped on them this past weekend. :lol:

WVRed
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
So far Kelly is good with staying at UC. Doesn't sound like he's swayed to go to Seattle. That's another world out there, but what if Notre Dame cans Weiss and comes calling? That's one job that would be hard for him to pass up.

If Notre Dame cans Weis, you had better believe they will be making a full fledged run at Urban Meyer.

My prediction is that Florida will win it all. If he does that, he has won two national championships there. The family is also older, so I don't believe it will be as big an issue. He has said that Notre Dame is his dream job and with an accomplished resume I believe they will throw a ton of money Meyer's way.

Florida could be the next big job opening.

Sea Ray
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
2 vs. Ohio State
2 vs. Purdue
2 vs. NC State
1 vs. Miami (FL)
1 vs. Virginia Tech
1 vs. Oklahoma
1 vs. Oregon State

Also, FWIW, Air Force and Fresno State are two of the better high/mid major teams right now. Whether that remains the case in the future is unknown, but they're decent right now.

The above is a non conference schedule that trumps that of the team up I-71. Why is it UC can schedule games like that and OSU can't?

Matt700wlw
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Weis is staying at ND...for next year

http://notredame.scout.com/2/817609.html

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
That's part of the deal, because we played there this year. Unlike OSU, OU was willing to do a one and one with us. The game will be played at PBS, though.

It's entirely possible that some (or all) of the 2010 season might be played at PBS while construction at Nippert is underway.

Matt700wlw
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
It's entirely possible that some (or all) of the 2010 season might be played at PBS while construction at Nippert is underway.

If UC keeps this up, they could outdraw the Bengals at PBS....:)

Hoosier Red
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
The above is a non conference schedule that trumps that of the team up I-71. Why is it UC can schedule games like that and OSU can't?

3 vs. UC, 2 vs Texas, 2 vs. USC, really there are alot of things you can bang on tOSU for but scheduling out of conference isn't one of them.

LoganBuck
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Oh to look at the world through Ohio StHate Colored Glasses

Future Opponents
1 versus Southern California
2 versus Miami FL
2 versus Cincinnati
2 versus California
2 versus Virginia Tech
2 versus Tennessee
2 versus Oklahoma

Rumors come and go about Notre Dame being added as well.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 11:01 PM

If I knew how to do web design, I'd start up a website right now:

http://www.bengalstobearcats.com

and start collecting pledges from people who want to switch from being Bengals season ticket holders to Bearcats season ticket holders.

I imagine there would be some interest.

LoganBuck
12-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Many Ohio State fans have been busy the past few days taking the bait that Mardy Gilyard and the UC marketing department dropped on them this past weekend. :lol:

Perhaps he forgets the last time "little brother", called out "big brother", 37-7. He was on the team then, or rather taking a "academic redshirt" because he lost the map that told him where to go to class.

Someone will have some splainin' to do come 2012.

KronoRed
12-02-2008, 11:34 PM

No way, if Bengal fans are still around after so many years of punishment they will never quit.

NorrisHopper30
12-02-2008, 11:36 PM
It's a great day to be a Bearcat fan!

Caseyfan21
12-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Oh to look at the world through Ohio StHate Colored Glasses

Future Opponents
1 versus Southern California
2 versus Miami FL
2 versus Cincinnati
2 versus California
2 versus Virginia Tech
2 versus Tennessee
2 versus Oklahoma

Rumors come and go about Notre Dame being added as well.

I don't see Notre Dame ever doing anything more than an occasional home and home with OSU every 10-20 years. With their schedule already including Michigan and Michigan State there's no reason for them to add in another Big 10 team....we'll see though.

I have also heard some pretty good rumors that OSU offered Florida and some of the other SEC teams home and homes and were declined.

No doubt OSU will schedule a couple small teams every year but they also won't hesitate to take 1 huge game per year vs. whoever is willing to play them.

Chip R
12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
So, how's Nancy Zimpher looking these days?

Matt700wlw
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
So, how's Nancy Zimpher looking these days?

She deserves a lot of credit that most won't give her.

Sea Ray
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM
No doubt OSU will schedule a couple small teams every year but they also won't hesitate to take 1 huge game per year vs. whoever is willing to play them.

OSU's history is to schedule one big game and then schedule 3 games against MAC or div 1AA schools. I'm not impressed. For instance this year OSU is under BCS consideration with two losses and what is their best win? MSU?

A lot of schools could have gone 10-2 against that schedule

WVRed
12-03-2008, 12:38 PM
She deserves a lot of credit that most won't give her.

A lot of that has to do with Bob Huggins.

Caseyfan21
12-03-2008, 01:06 PM
OSU's history is to schedule one big game and then schedule 3 games against MAC or div 1AA schools. I'm not impressed. For instance this year OSU is under BCS consideration with two losses and what is their best win? MSU?

But if you look around the country, most BCS schools usually only schedule one premier non conference game as well (depending on traditional non conference rivalry games).

From this year:

LSU:
App St.
Troy
North Texas
Tulane

Texas:
Florida Atlantic
UTEP
Arkansas
Rice

Oklahoma:
Chattanooga
Cincinnati
Washington
TCU

Alabama:
Clemson
Tulane
Western Kentucky
Arkansas State

Penn State
Coastal Carolina
Oregon St
Syracuse
Temple

The problem with OSU's weak schedule isn't weak non-conference teams, it's weak in conference games.

Matt700wlw
12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
A lot of that has to do with Bob Huggins.

People need to get over it.

redsbuckeye
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM

OSU always plays an in-state school because it makes a lot of money for both schools and in recent years have always scheduled a (traditionally) powerful non-conference team. The third game was usually a patsy that most big teams will always get. In the case of the Big 10, a lot of them (all?) play MAC schools because of the regional relationship between the two conference. So OSU ends up sometimes with two MAC schools on the schedule.

The thing with the 1AA schools is that the 12th game rule was added so late for 2007 that some teams had no choice but to schedule 1AA teams because there were no other options. This also is doubly a problem in the Big 10 because the league insists that all conference games are finished by the weekend before Thanksgiving and teams (except Wisconsin) don't schedule non-conference games after the conference slate. Tressel picked YSU for obvious reasons. I don't see any 1AA schools on any future schedules, although the 2010 schedule doesn't have the 12th team yet.

Another thing is schedules are determined so far in advance that you can't necessarily predict what kind of team you're going to get. OSU played a home and home with Washington that was scheduled sometime around the turn of the centry when Washington was a stud team. 7 years and a coaching carousel later and you've got crap on your schedule. It also goes the other way. Teams were scheduling UC years ago because they thought UC was a patsy and an easy win, and UC was happy to get the exposure and the big $$$ for taking their whuppins. Now UC's the real deal and will challenge those VTs and OKs. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some teams reneg on their deal.

Why? Because what do those big teams have to gain for playing UC now? UC is an up and comer (and all props to them) who really have nothing to lose by playing big teams. I'd love to see and year-in year-out game between OSU and UC as a fan, but I also realize that for OSU it does nothing. If OSU wins, it was because they were supposed to. The perception is OSU is king in Ohio and a win doesn't give them anything, it could even hurt them if it's too close. But UC hasn't lost anything by losing (see OK this year) other than a mark in the W column. OSU has the potential to have its season ruined while UC will go on the next week with nothing but game bruises. People are still harping on the 2002 championship OSU team because the UC game was too close. That UC team still won 7 games and went to a bowl, but it doesn't matter in the eyes of the public.

So big teams are going to schedule one other big team for the chance to boost their profile if they win and not fall too far if they lose, and they're going to schedule other teams that they are all but assured of winning. This is the way the college football world works.

Edit: OSU is also in BCS consideration because they travel better than just about any other team. Bowl invites beyond the championship game are more about $$$ than about who's deserving.

Hoosier Red
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Ranked 12th hardest schedule according to collegebcs.com.

WVRed
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Not Tennessee, but Tuberville did get the axe in Auburn.

Someone I am surprised has not been mentioned for any of these high profile jobs is Chris Peterson from Boise State. Guy is a proven winner, beat Oklahoma in a BCS bowl, and is on his way to possibly another BCS game.

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Someone I am surprised has not been mentioned for any of these high profile jobs is Chris Peterson from Boise State. Guy is a proven winner, beat Oklahoma in a BCS bowl, and is on his way to possibly another BCS game.

I remember reading last year that Chris Peterson was waiting for the Oregon job to open up. However, yesterday Oregon named Chip Kelly as the successor to Mike Bellotti when he retires, so Peterson may now be open to other jobs. I agree though, he's a heck of a coach. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington interviews him.

Sea Ray
12-03-2008, 09:32 PM

That really surprises me. He was less deserving of a firing than Fulmer. He'd won 5 out of the last 6 bowl games and was undefeated just 4 years ago. He made a mistake in his hire of an O-coordinator but unlike Fulmer, canned him promptly. This makes me wish UT had waited before hiring Kiffin.

In fact UT screwed this whole firing. They should have waited until after the KY game to announce their coaching decision. First of all the team may have beaten Wyoming and be Bowl eligible right now. Recruits would have been kept on the line and guys like Tuperville would be available. A screwup from start to finish

LoganBuck
12-03-2008, 10:24 PM
That really surprises me. He was less deserving of a firing than Fulmer. He'd won 5 out of the last 6 bowl games and was undefeated just 4 years ago. He made a mistake in his hire of an O-coordinator but unlike Fulmer, canned him promptly. This makes me wish UT had waited before hiring Kiffin.

In fact UT screwed this whole firing. They should have waited until after the KY game to announce their coaching decision. First of all the team may have beaten Wyoming and be Bowl eligible right now. Recruits would have been kept on the line and guys like Tuperville would be available. A screwup from start to finish

Auburn has several boosters that have wanted TT fired since before the NC year. They have finally knocked him off.

Kiffin told Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't fit into his offense, running off a premier QB recruit. In the immortal words of Marty Brennamen "How we lookin'?"

Not good.

WVRed
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Auburn has several boosters that have wanted TT fired since before the NC year. They have finally knocked him off.

Kiffin told Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't fit into his offense, running off a premier QB recruit. In the immortal words of Marty Brennamen "How we lookin'?"

Not good.

Why Tajh Boyd was even recruited by Tennessee to begin with, whether it be Lane Kiffin or Phil Fulmer, is beyond me. He is far from a fit in that offense.

Boyd should have stuck with WVU. He could have been Pat White's replacement, and I am nowhere near a WVU fan.

Sea Ray
12-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Not good.

I consider the Boyd news a blessing. That tells me Kiffin's planning on running a pro set offense. They need Eric Ainge and Peyton Manning QBs, not Pat Whites. They had a RB recruited but has opted out after Fulmer's firing saying he was in search of a pro set offense. Maybe now he'll reconsider UT.

With a pro set they can recruit physical linemen, TEs like Jason Witten and QBs like Carson Palmer. I fear they can't compete with schools like FL if they try to play the same game (spread option)

KronoRed
12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
If Notre Dame cans Weis, you had better believe they will be making a full fledged run at Urban Meyer.

My prediction is that Florida will win it all. If he does that, he has won two national championships there. The family is also older, so I don't believe it will be as big an issue. He has said that Notre Dame is his dream job and with an accomplished resume I believe they will throw a ton of money Meyer's way.

Florida could be the next big job opening.

Meyer to Notre Dame is what Donnovan was to Kentucky.

Just sayin.;)

Boss-Hog
12-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Meyer to Notre Dame is what Donnovan was to Kentucky.

Just sayin.;)
Didn't he already turn down that job once before he went to Florida and it eventually went to Weis?

WMR
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Didn't he already turn down that job once before he went to Florida and it eventually went to Weis?

Meyer wanted to be able to bring in one "questionable" recruit per year... i.e., a kid with academic/off the field.. WHATEVER issues...

Notre Dame wouldn't budge.

Revering4Blue
12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Why Tajh Boyd was even recruited by Tennessee to begin with, whether it be Lane Kiffin or Phil Fulmer, is beyond me. He is far from a fit in that offense.

Really?

The QB of the 98 UT National Champions was the athletic Tee Martin, running a Pro set offense. Running a Pro-set/West Coast offense shouldn't always preclude option/zone read plays. In fact, two of the most dynamic West Coast offenses in recent NCAA memory were the 98 UCLA Bruins and the 04 Auburn Tigers, QB'd by the athletic Cade McNown and Jason Campbell, repsectively. In both cases, the OC was Alan Borges, whom Tommy Tuberville canned a year ago.

Say what wish about Charlie Weis, but at least he tried to recruit Terrelle Pryor.
If Kiffin is going to turn away a talent like that, he has no business running a top-flight D1 program.

NorrisHopper30
12-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Someone tell Boyd that he's welcome at UC. Looks like he'll end up at OSU, though.

WVRed
12-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Someone tell Boyd that he's welcome at UC. Looks like he'll end up at OSU, though.

If I were Boyd, I would seriously consider Michigan.

Instant playing time. If he goes to OSU, he is waiting two years until Pryor goes pro. Plus it would give people in West Virginia more reason to hate Rodriguez.:)

cincrazy
12-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Instant playing time. If he goes to OSU, he is waiting two years until Pryor goes pro. Plus it would give people in West Virginia more reason to hate Rodriguez.:)

Instant playing time, and instant losing :thumbup:

LoganBuck
12-05-2008, 08:32 AM

Michigan has two high rated hand picked QB recruits already on the way. RichRod thinks they are perfect for him. Rumors are circulating, nothing concrete, that Joe Bauserman may be transferring out of Ohio State because he wants playing time. Boyd may come in and be #2 by default, there are no other QBs on scholarship at Ohio State. Pryor scared off Rob Schoenhoft, Antonio Henton, and maybe Bauserman.

WVRed
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Michigan has two high rated hand picked QB recruits already on the way. RichRod thinks they are perfect for him. Rumors are circulating, nothing concrete, that Joe Bauserman may be transferring out of Ohio State because he wants playing time. Boyd may come in and be #2 by default, there are no other QBs on scholarship at Ohio State. Pryor scared off Rob Schoenhoft, Antonio Henton, and maybe Bauserman.

I think the two you mentioned at QB are Tate Forcier and Shavodrick Beaver. Beaver is more of a prototype Rodriguez player, while Forcier reminds me of Charlie Russell who committed to WVU.(Top QB recruit from Morgantown, just no way he would fit in).

Of course, if Pryor gets hurt, then Boyd would be the no 1 guy.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Bauserman would be a fool to transfer. One Pryor injury and he's the guy at Ohio State. And, unfortunately, Pryor is only one big hit in the open field away from getting hurt...

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Bauserman would be a fool to transfer. One Pryor injury and he's the guy at Ohio State. And, unfortunately, Pryor is only one big hit in the open field away from getting hurt...

On the other hand, if Pryor stays health, Bauserman could waste all of his eligibility riding the pine. If he's a competitor, he's going to want to be on the field playing and leading a team to a title, not holding the clipboard for a guy who has multiple years starting left in him.

Plus, if he has any desire at all to compete at the next level, he has to go someplace where he can showcase himself.

Transferring is a no-brainer, IMO, now that Pryor has established himself as "the man" at OSU going forward.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2008, 02:44 PM
On the other hand, if Pryor stays health, Bauserman could waste all of his eligibility riding the pine. If he's a competitor, he's going to want to be on the field playing and leading a team to a title, not holding the clipboard for a guy who has multiple years starting left in him.

Plus, if he has any desire at all to compete at the next level, he has to go someplace where he can showcase himself.

Transferring is a no-brainer, IMO, now that Pryor has established himself as "the man" at OSU going forward.

A player of Bauserman's stature isn't likely going to transfer and take a team in BCS contention by storm. He's best off rolling the dice at tOSU IMO...

LoganBuck
12-05-2008, 05:57 PM
A player of Bauserman's stature isn't likely going to transfer and take a team in BCS contention by storm. He's best off rolling the dice at tOSU IMO...

Bauserman was a highly rated QB prospect coming out of high school. Not Terrelle Pryor but well thought of, top 25 nationally. He played baseball for the Pirates for three seasons. He is old for a college football player, at 23 years old, and may desire playing time if he wants to move on the the next level, or even the rest of his life. Just sayin.

BuckeyeRed27
12-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Bauserman was a highly rated QB prospect coming out of high school. Not Terrelle Pryor but well thought of, top 25 nationally. He played baseball for the Pirates for three seasons. He is old for a college football player, at 23 years old, and may desire playing time if he wants to move on the the next level, or even the rest of his life. Just sayin.

I wouldn't blame Joe if he left, but he should probably stay.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Heh, Rivals had him a three star and #23 at his position, but Scout had him a two star and #55 at his position. That was a long time ago, I doubt he'd be sought after by a strong BCS conference team to be the heir to their current QB...

guttle11
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM

But if they get Boyd, he'll be the #2 ahead of Bauserman. OSU is going to be mainly a spread offense for the forseeable future, and Joe Bauserman doesn't fit that role. If he wants to play really bad, he should look elsewhere.

Getting Boyd would be really good for OSU. He could captain the ship between Pryor and Braxton Miller (counting on a sophomore in high school nevers goes wrong, does it?)...

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Heh, Rivals had him a three star and #23 at his position, but Scout had him a two star and #55 at his position. That was a long time ago, I doubt he'd be sought after by a strong BCS conference team to be the heir to their current QB...

Quarterback is one position where you can shine and be noticed a the next level even outside of the BCS system. At one point a couple years back, there was some ridiculous number (7, I think) of former MAC QBs who were starters in the NFL.

The fact is, unless you're playing for USC, sitting the bench is NEVER preferable to playing if your goal is to eventually have a shot at the NFL. The bench at Ohio State is still the bench. It's where he's stuck, and where Pryor is never going to go barring injury.

He should go someplace and play. I guarantee that if he attempted to transfer there would be some BCS interest in him, and much mid-major interest. He could be a star at the right Mountain-West or WAC program and might even lead a team to a BCS bowl in the process if he's got the goods.

Really, what does he get by staying? The hope that if he waits patiently behind Pryor that he'll get his shot eventually? Tressel really gave that idea the finger when he benched his senior QB this year to play the hot shot freshman. Patience isn't always a virtue in college ball, especially for players.

WVRed
01-29-2009, 10:45 PM
For those who thought Boyd would end up a Buckeye, a shocker as he opted for Clemson.

I thought it was between Ohio State and Oregon?

LoganBuck
01-29-2009, 11:09 PM
For those who thought Boyd would end up a Buckeye, a shocker as he opted for Clemson.

I thought it was between Ohio State and Oregon?

Boyd played his recruitment very poorly. He committed to all three schools over the last week. He told Tressel that he was coming on Sunday. Tressel had a kid from Kettering Alter, Austin Boucher on the back burner. Ohio State needed a third scholarship QB for depth for 2009 and beyond. Tressel called Boucher, and told him that he would not have a scholarship available. Boucher and his twin brother, committed to become Miami RedHawks. The Clemson coaches made a last minute visit to Boyd on Monday. Supposedly Boyd called Jim Tressel, Tuesday morning, and told him he was still coming, and requested to wear #10. Boyd then calls an audible, and Tressel is left with no third string scholarship QB. He calls up Boucher, and offers him the scholarship. Boucher turns him down, he gave Miami his word, he is a man of character.

WVRed
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Tahj Boyd strikes me as an Alex Legion of college football, except without the crazy mother. Both were very immature in how they handled their collegiate decisions, and it wouldn't shock me if Boyd tried to bolt if he didn't get his way.

Sea Ray
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I can't blame the guy for not wanting to jump at the chance to become a 3rd string QB

LoganBuck
01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I can't blame the guy for not wanting to jump at the chance to become a 3rd string QB

Boucher? I agree with you.

Boyd is a probable Redshirt. He would have had two years of seperation from Pryor and Bauserman. At most decent schools QBs have to ride the pine a little. I don't care that he didn't come to Ohio State, I am mad about how he handled his recruitment and how he basically lied to three schools. His decision impacted other kids, not only at Ohio State, but also Oregon and Clemson. What was wrong with telling the coaching staffs that he still had to make up his mind? Don't be the girl who can't pick a prom date.

Mario-Rijo
01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Boucher? I agree with you.

Boyd is a probable Redshirt. He would have had two years of seperation from Pryor and Bauserman. At most decent schools QBs have to ride the pine a little. I don't care that he didn't come to Ohio State, I am mad about how he handled his recruitment and how he basically lied to three schools. His decision impacted other kids, not only at Ohio State, but also Oregon and Clemson. What was wrong with telling the coaching staffs that he still had to make up his mind? Don't be the girl who can't pick a prom date.

I think most of the time I'd agree with you about making a pick already. But in this case Boyd had a very tough decision, none were quite ideal but all had their allure. Granted I don't think any of these kids should tell any coach anything definitively until they know themselves for sure but he is what 17 or 18 years old. All of this would have been moot if the school he wanted to go to (Tenn.) hadn't kicked the chair out from under him, so maybe he felt what's good for the goose (schools) is good for the gander (students). I can't say I necc. blame him completely. All those coaches know that nothing is ever gauranteed until pen hits paper or until a kid decides against Ohio State (then Tressel stops recruiting them, except Boucher).