PDA

View Full Version : Guess who else Peter Gammons said was trying to trade for Coco Crisp?

Handofdeath
11-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Red Sox get power arm in exchange for Crisp

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 | Print Entry

A.J. Burnett interests the Red Sox. He has great stuff. Stuff that plays in October interests a franchise for which October is an expectation.

But while the Red Sox have talked to Burnett's agent, Derek Braunecker, the price of a bidding war with the Yankees (Burnett might well get a four-year, $60 million deal) might be too steep for a team that already has Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and Daisuke Matsuzaka in their primes.

So Wednesday, the Red Sox went in another direction, granting Coco Crisp his wish and trading him to Kansas City for Ramon Ramirez, a 27-year-old power reliever Boston feels can be a setup man. He gives the Red Sox the freedom to move Justin Masterson into the rotation if Terry Francona so chooses.

Ramirez had a 2.64 ERA with a 70-31 strikeout-walk ratio in 71 2/3 innings for the Royals in 2008. He also allowed only two home runs in those 71 2/3 innings, which, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, was the second-lowest home run rate in the American League this past season. Needless to say, teams are forever looking for high strikeout/low home run pitchers.

For his career, Ramirez has a 2.15 ERA in 105 innings outside Coors Field (he pitched for the Rockies in 2006 and 2007). He throws 93-95 mph with what the Red Sox believe is a power split and held right-handed batters to a .153 batting average and a .455 OPS in 2008.

Crisp had a .392 on-base percentage after the All-Star break this past season and played very well in a season in which he and Jacoby Ellsbury exchanged the roles of starter and extra man because of injuries to J.D. Drew and Manny Ramirez. He is one of the better defensive center fielders in the game, and his .751 OPS in 2008 and his stellar defensive play are upgrades for the Royals -- whose center fielders had an OPS of .638 this past season.

The Red Sox surveyed what was a surprisingly small market for Crisp -- Cincinnati was the other club with the most interest -- and decided that with Jeremy Affeldt starting out the 2008 free-agent market by signing a two-year, $8 million deal with the Giants, it likely will be easier to find another outfielder than secure a low-cost power reliever.

I think he would have been a good leadoff hitter for the Reds and played a great CF. But I'm happy the Royals got him instead. Now, let's see if the Reds go after David DeJesus or Mark Teahen.

NorrisHopper30
11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Thank you Royals.

Handofdeath
11-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I think it's a great trade for the Royals. As a Royals fan I love the things Dayton Moore is doing. Maybe the Guillen signing wasn't the best but to pick Joakim Soria off the trash heap and have him become one of the best closers in baseball tells me that he knows what he is doing. And even Guillen did fairly well in having 97 RBI's. The Royals could afford to trade Ramirez because, if nothing else, in 2008 the Royals had one of the best staff of relievers in MLB.

schmidty622
11-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you Royals.

Ironic coming from a guy with the name of Norris Hopper.

Emin3mShady07
11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Handofdeath;1764660]Maybe the Guillen signing wasn't the best but to pick Joakim Soria off the trash heap and have him become one of the best closers in baseball tells me that he knows what he is doing. And even Guillen did fairly well in having 97 RBI's. QUOTE]

Jose Guillen had an OPS of .738 from the outfield/DH spot which is really bad. I know its a cliche, but RBI are really circumstantial. He had 303 PA with men on and 197 PA with RISP. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=guilljo01&year=2008 Carlos quentin had 245 PA with men on and 149 PA with RISP. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=quentca01&year=2008 If you go by strictly RBI, Jose Guillen are comparable because TCQ only had 3 more, but really these two players are not even close. If TCQ had the same amount of opportunities as Guillen, he would have many more RBI. Just beware of Counting stats, thats all I am saying.

Handofdeath
11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
You make good points but I don't think you can totally discount any stat, be it counting or sabermetric. All I know is that even though he didn't have a great season, he was 13th in the AL in RBI's on a team that was 12th in the AL in runs scored.

HalMorrisRules
11-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Here's further information about the Crisp interest straight from Jocketty's mouth.

John Fay Blog (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a7390e149-e5a8-4ff5-a644-69ff4575df0c&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

NorrisHopper30
11-19-2008, 11:13 PM
It disturbs me as to why we were even targeting Crisp, I've always thought he was very overrated.

11-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Crisp would have been a perfect addition to the Reds. He could platoon with Dickerson in CF, hit leadoff with a .350+ OPB, steal bases, and provide defense Reds fans have not seen since Eric Davis in his prime.

Considering who the Red Sox got for him, I am assuming that the Reds offered Bray and the Royals wanted Burton.

Jack Burton
11-19-2008, 11:58 PM
It disturbs me as to why we were even targeting Crisp, I've always thought he was very overrated.

Agreed 100%, wouldn't want this weak hitting sally near the club. He would instantly become dusty's favorite player.

Ghosts of 1990
11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Wonder who we would have gave up?

Would have been good to get as a leadoff. I like that we're active.

redhawk61
11-20-2008, 01:00 AM
so what does this mean for our CF/leadoff spot? I am not for just handing the job to Dickerson, and a competition for CF/leadoff of Dickerson/Hopper/Freel/Stubbs does not seem too exciting right now.

Who else is there to target? Juan Pierre?:thumbdown

schmidty622
11-20-2008, 09:07 AM
^ David Dejesus bud.

Orodle
11-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Gammons is wrong 90% of the time...so I wouldnt put much into whatever he says.

redhawk61
11-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Gammons is wrong 90% of the time...so I wouldnt put much into whatever he says.

Walt has already said that he was close on getting Crisp

BLEEDS
11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Crisp would have been a perfect addition to the Reds. He could platoon with Dickerson in CF, hit leadoff with a .350+ OPB, steal bases, and provide defense Reds fans have not seen since Eric Davis in his prime.

Yeah, but is he "SCRAPPY" !??!

What in the world would the Reds do with a switch-hitting 340-ish OBP OF-er with REAL speed? Probably bat him 8th...

PEACE

-BLEEDS