PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson deactivated vs Steelers

Matt700wlw
11-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I wonder what the numb nuts did? Not as if he's been much of a contributor this year...

Chad to sit
By GEOFF HOBSON
November 20, 2008

9:55 a.m.

PITTSBURGH - Bengals wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco has been deactivated for Thursday night's game against the Steelers for violation of a team rule, ending his 113-game streak and season-long calm since his offseason campaign to get traded.

The Bengals made the announcement in a terse statement delivered here from the team's downtown hotel and said there would be no other announcement until after the game.

redsfan30
11-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Interesting...

Sea Ray
11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
So we don't know why?

Reds Fanatic
11-20-2008, 11:47 AM
The news just gets better and better in Bengal land. They were already going into tonight's game without Levi Jones, Whitworth, Ndukwe, Odom and Chatman who was lost fot the year with the injury he got last Sunday.

HotCorner
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Hmm. Considering some of the stuff he's pulled, he must have really pissed off someone.

Reds Fanatic
11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
According to channel 12 here is what happened.

Local 12 has learned that Chad was late for an 8:30 offensive meeting last night.

Johnson told Marvin Lewis he overslept and wants to play. Lewis says he must abide by team rules, and Johnson understands.

HotCorner
11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
The news just gets better and better in Bengal land. They were already going into tonight's game without Levi Jones, Whitworth, Ndukwe, Odom and Chatman who was lost fot the year with the injury he got last Sunday.

They are also without Koistra too. Now you're down two of your top WR's and starting two inexperienced OL (Livings and Collins) against the #1 defense in the league on the road.

Will they even score an offensive point?

Reds Fanatic
11-20-2008, 11:51 AM
They are also without Koistra too. Now you're down two of your top WR's and starting two inexperienced OL (Livings and Collins) against the #1 defense in the league on the road.

Will they even score an offensive point?

With that OL the better question is will Fitzpatrick get out of this game alive.

Reds Fanatic
11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
The field is going to be a mess tonight too. They are expecting 1 to 3 inches of snow in Pittsburgh tonight and we all know how bad that field gets.

HotCorner
11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Per Channel 12 in Cincinnati ..

Bengals wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco will not be playing in tonight's game at Pittsburgh.

The team released a two line statement this morning, saying the player formerly known as Chad Johnson was deactivated for tonight's game "for violation of a team rule."

The Bengal's website says the announcement was delivered from the team's hotel in Pittsburgh and said there would be no other comments on the situation until after the game.

Local 12 has learned that Chad was late for an 8:30 offensive meeting last night.

Johnson told Marvin Lewis he overslept and wants to play. Lewis says he must abide by team rules, and Johnson understands.

Johnson's injured his right knee in practice Tuesday. He had a tough time running in practice Wednesday, but still planned to play tonight.

The decision ends Ocho Cinco's 113-game streak and season-long calm since his offseason campaign to get traded.

HeatherC1212
11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
I hope Ryan Fitzpatrick took out extra health insurance before this game tonight. :eek:

Matt700wlw
11-20-2008, 12:43 PM
When did the rules begin applying to Chad?

WMR
11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Why the Bengals didn't trade this schmuck for two 1st rounders when they had the chance is beyond me.

Oh wait, no it's not: MIKE BROWN.

You'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him at this point.

Matt700wlw
11-20-2008, 01:22 PM
From Brad Johansen by phone...Chad WILL NOT be with the team tonight, he's headed back to Cincinnati.

Reds Fanatic
11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
There are some very different stories coming out about why Chad was deactivated. While the Cincinnati stations were reporting he was late for a meeting the NFL network is reporting he got in a dispute with a member of the Bengals organization last night and left a team function.

SunDeck
11-20-2008, 02:10 PM
How does an adult oversleep for a meeting at 8:30 PM?
Something ain't right here.

Matt700wlw
11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
The report from Johansen came from Chad about what happened. The Bengals aren't talking, but, as noted by another poster, there are reports that it was more than being late...

When Rudi was late for a meeting, he simply wasn't allowed to start.

SeeinRed
11-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not one for conspiracies, but it does seem odd that he was ok with what happened. I'm sure he was late for the meeting. He was probably upset when confronted about it and got into an argument, hence the not playing instead of not starting. That is just my guess.

Another possibility that I've thought of is that this is mostly for show. Maybe since the season is lost anyway and Chad was late Marvin decided it would be a good time to "show" everybody he doesn't play favorites. Not to mention he also has a knee injury that is bugging him. Not the players, but the fans and outside observers. Maybe that was explained to Chad, and that is why he is "OK" with it. Not to mention he also has a knee injury that is bugging him. Not likely, but I wouldn't run anything past this franchise.

schmidty622
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Just one less player for Hines Ward to put on the IR.

remdog
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I think the Bengals should 'deactiveate' the entire team including, but most importantly, Mike Brown. Give the franchise back to the NFL with the one condition being that they field a team in Cincinnati for the length of time that remains on the PBS lease. Put the franchise up for bid to another owner---Mikey gets half of the price, the City of Cincinnati gets the other half for the 'pain and suffering' it's been through under Mike Brown.

The league holds a dispersal draft with the Bengals able to retain the rights to up to 12 players from this year's team (I'm not sure there are 12 guys they'd actually want to keep). The Bengals basicly start over as an 'expansion' team and are instantly better than what they are now. :p:

Rem

HotCorner
11-20-2008, 03:35 PM
The field is going to be a mess tonight too. They are expecting 1 to 3 inches of snow in Pittsburgh tonight and we all know how bad that field gets.

Issued by The National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
10:17 am EST, Thu., Nov. 20, 2008
... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EST FRIDAY...
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EST FRIDAY.
SNOW ACCUMULATION OF UP TO 6 INCHES IS POSSIBLE FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY AS A COLD NORTHWEST FLOW DEVELOPS ACROSS THE LAKES IN THE WAKE OF A STRONG COLD FRONT.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

CTA513
11-20-2008, 03:46 PM

The field was getting pretty messed up last sunday when they played the Chargers.
Now it will probably be just as bad to start the game and will be total crap by the end of the game.

Matt700wlw
11-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Here's more.

CONFLICTING INFO ON CHAD DEACTIVATION
Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 4:03 p.m. EST

Earlier in the day, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported that Bengals receiver Chad Johnson’s deactivation for Thursday night’s game against the Steelers arose due to some type of altercation that occurred on Wednesday night.

Later, Bengals radio announcer Brad Johansen reported that Johnson had overslept and missed a team meeting.

Now, Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the incident resulted not from oversleeping, but from Johnson leaving a team meeting.

Per Glazer, Johnson showed up at the meeting, but was “extremely groggy.” When Johnson was slumped in his chair, offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski told Johnson to sit up straight.

Johnson refused. So Bratkowski repeated the instruction.

And Johnson instead stood up straight — and left.

Coach Marvin Lewis shouted at Johnson to return, but Johnson ignored him. Lewis chased him down and the two exchanged “several heated words.” Eventually, Marvin gave Chad the boot.

It’s unknown whether further discipline will be imposed. Under the CBA, the maximum possible discipline is a four-game suspension, without pay.

His attitude started going down hill once he hired that (fill in the blank) agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

WMR
11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Chad is an immature punk... those events sound totally reasonable to me.

BRM
11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Chad is an immature punk... those events sound totally reasonable to me.

Tell us how you really feel. :)

WMR
11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Tell us how you really feel. :)

:laugh:

I'm just so sick of the Bungles... like every other Bengals fan, I'm sure. I'm just sick of it all. I have no patience for the Bengals anymore. About anything.

BRM
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm just so sick of the Bungles... like every other Bengals fan, I'm sure. I'm just sick of it all. I have no patience for the Bengals anymore. About anything.

I understand. A good friend of mine is a Raider fan. He says the same thing. He's fed up with Al.

guttle11
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Can we deactivate Brat for not being able to control his own meeting? Because that would give the team a better chance to win than sitting a whiny Chad.

I doubt Chad would use a third down play to set up 4th down, IN A TIE FREAKING GAME.

Sorry.

Playadlc
11-20-2008, 11:57 PM
I am not going to fault Brat today. Although bringing in Perry on the third and short run was baffling...I am not going to blame Brat tonight because Fitzpatrick has been awful.

He is missing throws all over the place.