PDA

View Full Version : Western Hills Baseball

George Anderson
11-21-2008, 07:24 PM
We were in Cincy last weekend for the BRM reunion and we were needing to kill some time so we went by Western Hills High School where Peter Rose went. I am curious, is the baseball field across the street from the high school where Pete would have played at? Is the field named after him or anything there to represent that he played there because we didn't see anything?

LawFive
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
It's on the same plot of land, but not the original layout. They renovated a few years ago and made two separate fields. The baseball diamond used to be situated such that home plate was in the corner of the football end zone. The football stands were wide enough apart to fit full-length foul lines (no short porch). Now they have virtually no football stands in order to fit two fields.

George Anderson
11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
It's on the same plot of land, but not the original layout. They renovated a few years ago and made two separate fields. The baseball diamond used to be situated such that home plate was in the corner of the football end zone. The football stands were wide enough apart to fit full-length foul lines (no short porch). Now they have virtually no football stands in order to fit two fields.

Is there any landmark on the field recognizing that Pete played there??

westofyou
11-22-2008, 03:34 PM

Doubtful, Pete didn't graduate.

Plus in HS he was not the hero, that would be Eddie Brinkman's title.

George Anderson
11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Doubtful, Pete didn't graduate.

Plus in HS he was not the hero, that would be Eddie Brinkman's title.

I didn't know Pete didn't graduate. Interesting but not suprising.

Im not a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but even if Brinkman had a more distinguished HS career than Rose, I cant see him being honored over Rose. A guy with 4256 hits and a so so HS career trumps a guy with a top notch HS career and a so so MLB career.

LawFive
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Not that I've ever noticed. But then again I've never really looked. I'm not from that area, but I'm over there to ref once in a while.

westofyou
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I didn't know Pete didn't graduate. Interesting but not suprising.

Im not a Pete Rose kool aid drinker but even if Brinkman had a more distinguished HS career than Rose, I cant see him being honored over Rose. A guy with 4256 hits and a so so HS career trumps a guy with a top notch HS career and a so so MLB career.
I think I read that Rose didn't play HS baseball, that he played football but not baseball since he was playing for a local traveling team. I could be wrong, but for some reason that's the scenario stuck in my head.

Stephenk29
11-23-2008, 02:19 AM
it seems like I've played there a hundred times and I've never noticed anything mentioned about Pete.

GoGoWhiteSox
11-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Not to get too off-topic here, but I find it suprising that there is nothing, not one plaque or anything, commemorating where the original Cincinnati Red Stockings took the field as the first professional baseball team. From what I've looked up in the past, their field is basically where Union Terminal is now, but you'd think they would at least put up something recognizing it? I mean, it's the team that basically laid the seeds for what would eventually be the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs.

Idk, maybe I'm just splitting hairs....