PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday 2008

Caveat Emperor
11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
What's the only thing better than falling asleep on Thanksgiving after eating too much food?

Waking up later on in the evening to go stand in line for hours to try and save on doorbuster specials!

Post your the deals you'll be trying to get here, then check back on Friday morning when you were #16 in line and missed that $499 HDTV by 1 spot.

sonny
11-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm waiting for the $10 ps3, but i don't think it's gonna happen, so I'll just stay home and eat leftovers.

AmarilloRed
11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
I actually work at Wal-Mart during Black Friday. I do the early early early shift Friday, working 4:45 AM to 1:45 PM. Should be quite an experience, as I usually work the closing shift on Friday. My first holiday season there were fights over the merchandise.:duel:

macro
11-25-2008, 01:21 AM
The amount of time spent standing in line isn't worth the savings, IMO. I'd rather just order online and pay the extra, but that's just me. If it's electronics, it's going to keep getting cheaper and be available at that price a few weeks later, anyway.

goreds2
11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
I usually go to the Sears sales.

http://www.theblackfriday.com/

*BaseClogger*
11-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Best Buy usually has South Park seasons for cheap, so I'll probably complete my collection. Other than that, the two video games I want the most don't come out until late January...

HotCorner
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
This site rocks!

http://gottadeal.com/
http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

BoydsOfSummer
11-25-2008, 11:22 AM
The girlfriend was plotting her strategy and planning for it last night. I pretended I was interested.

I'll do anything if I think it's foreplay.

HeatherC1212
11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm going shopping in Florence with a few friends of mine but we avoid the craziness of the early morning sales and go out around 11 AM and spend the afternoon shopping without the insanity. It's actually a lot more fun to just be out during a normal time than to do the early morning thing. I did that several years ago and it screws up your whole day to be up so early. I was totally crashed by 11 AM and it messed up my whole day. I'd rather wake up at a normal hour and shop throughout the rest of the day and actually enjoy that day off work. :)

Yachtzee
11-26-2008, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't mind finding a laptop to use in starting up my own law practice, but I otherwise have no intention of shopping on Black Friday.

KittyDuran
11-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Well, I won't be there at the start of the insanity - but I'll try to make some early bird specials... probably start at JC Penney's because I'm looking for a good long wool coat, then a grab bag gift for work. After that I'll just browse.

GAC
11-28-2008, 05:20 AM
My wife tried last night to get me to go out into the "mouth of madness" today.

Yeah right! :rolleyes:

I'd just as soon rather be parachuted into a terrorist camp in the remote mountains of Pakistan in my skivvies and with a Salmon Ruskie mask on. The odds of survival are still in my favor then facing off with those lunatic woman with a shopping cart crashing through the doors of a Walmart or Target. ;)

The kids gave me their Christmas lists last month. I spent several hours, over the course of a couple days, doing all my shopping ON LINE. Free shipping right to the front door.

It's the only way to go.

The wife and daughter are going out today. Me and the boys are staying home, gonna watch Hancock and order in pizza.

Caseyfan21
11-28-2008, 09:56 AM
My dad and I might head down to the Moeller Card show this afternoon but other than that I never go out on Black Friday. My sister and mom got up around 8 AM to head out but no thanks from this guy. Give it a couple more years and I might start going out if they keep hiking all these sales up another hour. Once it gets to 2 AM I'd be in for just staying up Thursday night. :laugh:

acredsfan
11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't mind finding a laptop to use in starting up my own law practice, but I otherwise have no intention of shopping on Black Friday.Tigerdirect.com has way better computer deals than you'll find in stores today.

Heath
11-28-2008, 01:06 PM
There are football games on this afternoon that I have no rooting interest in.

Plus, I get to go through Christmas lights and make sure bulbs work.

And then, there's my sock drawer.

Beats shopping.

SteelSD
11-28-2008, 01:18 PM
This is the first year in quite a while that I didn't join the crazies in the early morning hours. The "deals" I saw advertised just weren't that good. I've been able to pick up better deals just by shopping clearance sections on the weekends.

Of course, that didn't stop my sister from calling me at 5:00 AM to ask about Blu-Ray movies. Ugh.

SunDeck
11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm sitting at home, drinking wine with my mom/dad and mother in law. My furnace just gave up, but luckily we put the money aside this summer to pay for it. So that's my Black Friday- talking contractors into selling me a 92% AFUE, two stage, variable speed motor furnace with humidifier for $500 less than they want to.

It's going pretty well so far. Having a red wine buzz makes me loquacious enough that they just want to cut a deal to get off the phone with me.

15fan
11-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Spent Thanksgiving night at a hotel near the mall at Easton.

(Not enough room at the folks' house with all of my siblings & spouses in town, so we graciously excuesd ourselves from the mayhem for our final night in Ohio.)

After checking out of the hotel, we strolled through the mall area around 10am. There weren't many people when stores were opening at 10am. By 11, things seemed to be picking up a little.

We bought a couple of small things for my mother-in-law at Williams Sonoma. And that was it. We've already done probably 75%-80% of our shopping online.

The only other item of note is that at another store in Easton, a bunch of kitchen timers on a display went off around 10:20 am.

I plead the 5th. ;)

GAC
11-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Plus, I get to go through Christmas lights and make sure bulbs work.

In order to complete that job you needed to start in July.

Thank God we've moved past the Christmas lights all over the house stage a few years back.

GAC
11-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Wal-Mart worker dies in shoppers' stampede

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-na-walmart-death29-2008nov29,0,6262818.story

At 5:03 a.m. Friday, customers surged toward a Long Island Wal-Mart store's entrance.

A 34-year-old temporary employee was killed when a "throng of shoppers . . . physically broke down the doors, knocking him to the ground," according to a statement from Nassau County officials.

He was declared dead at a hospital at 6:03 a.m. The exact cause of death has not been determined.

The surge at the Valley Stream store on Long Island also left three shoppers with minor injuries, and a pregnant 28-year-old woman was taken to a hospital, according to Nassau County officials.