PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Basketball

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Boston Red
03-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Seton Hall is horriterribad. Penn State isn't very good, either. But Duquesne at home?!? Duquesne? This isn't even one of those Ron Everhart decent every now and then Duquesne teams.

And SLU is supposed to be much better than Ohio State and Xavier, so it's still not really the same thing. That was a total head scratcher.

Sea Ray
03-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Seton Hall is horriterribad. Penn State isn't very good, either. But Duquesne at home?!? Duquesne? This isn't even one of those Ron Everhart decent every now and then Duquesne teams.

And SLU is supposed to be much better than Ohio State and Xavier, so it's still not really the same thing. That was a total head scratcher.

Gotta love college basketball! This is why our wives and little girls (daughters) routinely beat us in March Madness...

mdccclxix
03-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Big Game tonight. I will enjoy watching from a bar stool. I should probably go to the game, though. I'm 3-0, all big games, Tennessee, Georgetown, Creighton.

mdccclxix
03-07-2014, 10:05 AM
uRG

Boston Red
03-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I was not particularly hopeful going into last night.

A win next Thursday would be huge.

mdccclxix
03-07-2014, 10:14 AM
I think I'd most like to play Marquette, then St. Johns, then Georgetown in that order. I think Marquette is bad offensively still and we can out score them on a neutral floor. Hopefully a lot of bubble teams start losing!

reds1869
03-08-2014, 02:45 PM
I think I'd most like to play Marquette, then St. Johns, then Georgetown in that order. I think Marquette is bad offensively still and we can out score them on a neutral floor. Hopefully a lot of bubble teams start losing!

Gardner will be unstoppable with Stainbrook on the bench. I want no part of Marquette.

texasdave
03-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Gardner will be unstoppable with Stainbrook on the bench. I want no part of Marquette.

You can't always get what you want. Xavier plays Marquette on Thursday.

mdccclxix
03-09-2014, 09:31 PM

He can be double teamed and otherwise mitigated with team defense. Most important is rebounding. If he goes for 15 points with 15 rebounds, that's a big problem. I expect a sharp Xavier team, and a game decided in the last 3 minutes with key rebounds and defense. GO X.

Mutaman
03-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Tough year for the Warriors. Buzz was caught flatfooted when Vander unexpectedly turned pro and he's never been able to make adjustments. Davante's a good man but they have not been able to get him the ball consistently.

Re Marquette/Xavier- wouldn't be surprised to see a third straight double overtime game. :) Wouldn't be surprised to see St John's win the tourney either.

Boston Red
03-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see St John's win the tourney either.

Did Steve Lavin resign? If not, no chance.

Mutaman
03-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Did Steve Lavin resign? If not, no chance.

We will see. Thats why they play the games. I'd say they would be an attractive look at , lets say, 10-1.

Boston Red
03-09-2014, 11:44 PM
I got Nova at 22-1 to win that national championship the other day. I find that VERY attractive. Sexy even. That is likely money I've pissed away, but I still think I got a great deal on it.

I'd take the book side of St. John's at 10-1, though.

Mutaman
03-09-2014, 11:58 PM
I'd take the book side of St. John's at 10-1, though.

You're on! For bragging rights. :) Go Redmen!

Mutaman
03-10-2014, 12:02 AM
I got Nova at 22-1 to win that national championship the other day. I find that VERY attractive. Sexy even. That is likely money I've pissed away, but I still think I got a great deal on it.

I think you have yourself a nice overlay. Villanova has the kind of team that could go very deep into the tournament.

Boston Red
03-10-2014, 12:23 AM

Deal!

I just have a hard time seeing anyone other than Creighton or Villanova cutting down the nets this weekend. Those two are so clearly superior to the rest of the pack, and for anyone else to win the Tournament they'd likely have to beat both of them. I know the Johnnies beat Creighton at MSG earlier in the year, but I don't think it will be much of a home court advantage for them this time around. I expect MSG to basically be Omaha East this weekend.

Boston Red
03-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Apparently you got a deal at 10-1. Here are the odds I see:

Villanova- 3-2
Creighton- 7-4
St. John's- 6-1
Xavier- 10-1
Marquette- 12-1
Providence- 12-1
Field- 8-1

Once again, I like Villanova a lot.

Mutaman
03-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Apparently you got a deal at 10-1. Here are the odds I see:

Villanova- 3-2
Creighton- 7-4
St. John's- 6-1
Xavier- 10-1
Marquette- 12-1
Providence- 12-1
Field- 8-1

Its not whether you win or lose, its whether you get an overlay.

Boston Red
03-13-2014, 02:16 PM
I'd love to have St. John's at 10-1 now!

Caveat Emperor
03-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Villanova losing worries me.

X needs seeds to play out in all the conference tournaments. Bad teams winning and eating up at-large bids isn't a good thing.

Mutaman
03-13-2014, 02:53 PM

This is why we pay you the big bucks!

Boston Red
03-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Not loving my Villanova 22-1 to win it all as much right now either.

It was down to 18-1 last time I looked, but it will probably be back to 25-1 tonight.

Boston Red
03-13-2014, 04:53 PM

That 1/10th of a bragging right sure tasts sweet! :beerme:

Mutaman
03-13-2014, 05:35 PM
That 1/10th of a bragging right sure tasts sweet! :beerme:

You got me. St Johns with a chance to get New Yorkers excited about college hoops for the first time in a long time and they lay an egg. Big time. In the Garden. Should cost them a bid. Congrats to Coach Cooley. Tomorrow night, Providence v Seton Hall should really pack them in. :)

Well there were three teams in the tourney that Marquette could not beat, and two of them are gone. Will make tonights big game that much bigger.

Boston Red
03-13-2014, 06:05 PM
I assume Seton Hall will have a nice crowd. And so long as Creighton is around, they will have a nice crowd, too. A Xavier/Providence final? I would love it, but it would be a nightmare for the Big East from an attendance standpoint. I assume Marquette/Providence would only be marginally better.

reds1869
03-13-2014, 08:00 PM
There are some rumblings that Stainbrook might play tonight despite what was previously stated. I'm not getting my hopes up but his availability would be a big lift.

reds1869
03-14-2014, 12:07 AM
That was a hard fought win. Bring on Creighton.

Caveat Emperor
03-14-2014, 12:29 AM
Huge win. Huge.

Boston Red
03-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Great win. I really dislike that Gardner guy from Marquette. He's way too big to be flopping all over the place like he does.

Caveat Emperor
03-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Great win. I really dislike that Gardner guy from Marquette. He's way too big to be flopping all over the place like he does.

His acting on the "elbow" from Stainbrook was La Liga worthy.

Speaking of Stainbrook -- what a gutty performance. He gave huge, productive minutes despite being nowhere near close to 100% or in top physical condition.

mdccclxix
03-14-2014, 01:04 PM

You were right, the game was in Gardner's hands until Stainbrook showed up and wore him down. He and Burton were making Farr and Reynolds look childish.

reds1869
03-15-2014, 12:20 AM
Nice rally but it just wasn't enough against a very good Creighton team. And now we play the waiting game.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Thanks to Providence's upset win, seeing now that Xavier is projected as heading for a play-in game.

That's insulting for a major conference team. I'd almost be tempted to tell the NCAA to sod off.

BluegrassRedleg
03-16-2014, 03:17 AM
Lunardi's got a possible UK-Xavier matchup right now. That could be interesting.

dabvu2498
03-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks to Providence's upset win, seeing now that Xavier is projected as heading for a play-in game.

That's insulting for a major conference team. I'd almost be tempted to tell the NCAA to sod off.

So they can take that crucial NIT bid?

They're going to get what they deserve. Win more games, not an issue.

reds1869
03-16-2014, 11:54 AM

The play in games almost always feature major conference teams competing for 11/12 seeds.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2014, 04:13 PM
The play in games almost always feature major conference teams competing for 11/12 seeds.

And it's total garbage. Either you make the tournament or you don't. The "play-in" game was your season.

dabvu2498
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
And it's total garbage. Either you make the tournament or you don't. The "play-in" game was your season.

So you'd rather be in the NIT???

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2014, 04:29 PM
So you'd rather be in the NIT???

Honestly? Yes.

The tournament is 64 teams. If you aren't one of the 64, try harder next season. This effort to expand the tournament is a joke. It's nothing more than an effort to have more television and make more money.

I'd gladly take missing the tournament every so often if it would get rid of the stupid play-in games.

dabvu2498
03-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Honestly? Yes.

The tournament is 64 teams. If you aren't one of the 64, try harder next season. This effort to expand the tournament is a joke. It's nothing more than an effort to have more television and make more money.

I'd gladly take missing the tournament every so often if it would get rid of the stupid play-in games.

I can virtually guarantee there's not a coach or player in the country who agrees with you.

And I can absolutely guarantee there's not a college athletic administrator who agrees with you.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Of course not -- your conference gets paid even if you're just a play-in team and a coach gets to list the season as a "tournament made" on his resume.

I'm speaking purely from my own, fan, point of view.

dabvu2498
03-16-2014, 05:10 PM
If you go to the play-in game, there's a shot you could go to the Final Four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_VCU_Rams_men's_basketball_team

If you go to the NIT, well, playing in front of 5k in MSG is your best hope.

Sea Ray
03-16-2014, 07:29 PM
The A-10 also has 13 teams now compared to 10 in the Big East. And they'll likely end with about the same number of bids. Also, the A-10 does not have any contenders like Creighton or Villanova. SLU was looking like they might be a pretty high seed until they lost at home to Duquesne. How does that happen?

Xavier/Dayton in a play-in game? Blech.

As I predicted a couple weeks ago, the A10 got 6 teams in and thanks to Providence winning their tourney, the Big East conference squeaked out four including Xavier in the play in.

Your prediction of a Xavier-Dayton play in was a pretty good call though. Dayton just barely escaped a play in scenario. I hope the Flyers give OSU all they can handle.

Boston Red
03-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Providence was in either way. A-10 has 46% of its teams in vs. 40% from the Big East. Pretty comparable, though clearly in the A-10's favor. I still do not see a contender to even make the Sweet Sixteen from the A-10's six. Maybe Dayton? I would be surprised if Nova and Creighton are not both playing in the second weekend. Not sure either is quite strong enough to sneak into the Final Four this year, though. If Creighton is shooting well, they can beat anyone, but if they're not hitting a high percentage from 3 they're going out against the first good team they face.

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2014, 01:14 AM
If you go to the play-in game, there's a shot you could go to the Final Four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_VCU_Rams_men's_basketball_team

If you go to the NIT, well, playing in front of 5k in MSG is your best hope.

The insanity of the play in game is this:

If you had to choose between a #12 seed that requires a play-in game or a straight #13 seed, I think most people would take the #13 (and the guaranteed "in" & week of rest that comes with it).

They've set up a situation now where the lower seed is less desirable (independent of matchups) than the higher one.

dabvu2498
03-17-2014, 08:33 AM
The insanity of the play in game is this:

If you had to choose between a #12 seed that requires a play-in game or a straight #13 seed, I think most people would take the #13 (and the guaranteed "in" & week of rest that comes with it).

They've set up a situation now where the lower seed is less desirable (independent of matchups) than the higher one.

The 13 seeds all won their "play-in games."

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
The 13 seeds all won their "play-in games."

Which goes back to my original point -- your "play in" game is your resume in the regular season and your conference tournament.

Boston Red
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
So you'd prefer it if the NCAA Tournament was still 64 teams and Xavier was prepping for a 1st Round NIT game right now?

I might not disagree with that (at least in most years; I'm pretty pleased Xavier is in at all this year), but I'm trying to understand your point.

Sea Ray
03-17-2014, 11:56 AM
So you'd prefer it if the NCAA Tournament was still 64 teams and Xavier was prepping for a 1st Round NIT game right now?

I might not disagree with that (at least in most years; I'm pretty pleased Xavier is in at all this year), but I'm trying to understand your point.

Ask me later in the week. I'd rather Tennessee play a couple rds in the NIT as opposed to ending their season on Wednesday night. I think it was unnecessary for the NCAA to extend the field. Let the bubble teams compete iin the NIT rather than get knocked out before the first weekend.

Boston Red
03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
I'd rather lose the first game of the NCAA Tournament than win the NIT. The NIT is okay as a consolation prize, but it's completely meaningless.

dabvu2498
03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't ever, ever, ever want my team in the NIT. Of course, the team I root for hasn't had the option the last couple years, but I can't fathom preferring the NIT to the NCAA tournament.

RedTeamGo!
03-17-2014, 12:23 PM
NIT Champion = tallest "little person"

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2014, 12:51 PM
I'd rather lose the first game of the NCAA Tournament than win the NIT. The NIT is okay as a consolation prize, but it's completely meaningless.

Same here.

But I'd rather the tournament be 64 teams. You make the field of 64 or you don't. No "play-in" games. I hate the concept of expansion.

Boston Red
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Same here.

But I'd rather the tournament be 64 teams. You make the field of 64 or you don't. No "play-in" games. I hate the concept of expansion.

I do agree with that. I'm willing to take a year off from feeling that way, though.

Sea Ray
03-17-2014, 02:09 PM

I don't think it's meaningless for a young team that needs the extra weeks of work and experience. If you have no chance to go far in the NCAA you might as well get to play a few more games. As a fan, I'm OK with it cause I get my season extended.

Spazzrico
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Same here.

I'm definitely thrilled that XU made it in this year, but I"m theoretically of exactly the same mind. I'll accept the 68, but I didn't think it needed to expand and I really, really hope they don't do any more.

texasdave
03-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Xavier falls in the play-in game. Still a successful season if you ask me.

Boston Red
03-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Successful? I suppose it meets the absolute bare minimum criteria for being successful. I thought Xavier needed to get back to the NCAA Tournament this year, and they did. Sort of.

Sea Ray
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM

They'd have been better off winning a few games in the NIT. I'll say the same thing if my Vols lose tonight

How many of you participate in pools where they count all 68 teams? The ones I play in still don't count the games in Dayton

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2014, 12:22 PM

The program feels like it's stagnating a bit -- with the same issues (vanilla offensive design, lack of consistent outside shooting, defensive lapses, refusal to play press / zone defenses unless forced to do so) continuing to plague the team.

At the end of the year, they'll be able to say they made the "Tournament" (since they technically consider the play-in game the tournament) and finished #3 in the Big East, but there needs to be some serious re-evaluation of some things in the offseason.

The results will continue to be inconsistent until the team and coaching staff dedicate themselves to a greater degree of mental toughness and awareness on both sides of the court and start to run offenses that aren't so reliant on dribble-drive penetration and picking up contact fouls around the basket.

mdccclxix
03-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Watching the tournament, you're next to nothing if you can't hit big three pointers throughout the game. There are other equal components like sharing the ball well and playing great defense, but I consider the three point shot to be an irreplaceable component to high level championship ball. Chris Mack's teams have not shot the three well at all and certainly haven't made up for it with any counter balanced strength like having a bunch of tall shot blockers on the roster. That said, I think they've started making up for that with next years class.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Chris Mack is, apparently, the main target for Wake Forest's coaching vacancy.

Interesting to see where this develops.

mdccclxix
03-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Now is a good time to keep a coach, I think. This is the bridge XU needs to cross that they didn't when Miller left. Miller leaving prevented a team with Derrick Brown and Jordan Crawford from happening. Semaj would likely leave if Mack did.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Now is a good time to keep a coach, I think. This is the bridge XU needs to cross that they didn't when Miller left. Miller leaving prevented a team with Derrick Brown and Jordan Crawford from happening. Semaj would likely leave if Mack did.

It'd be a terrible time to lose a coach, IMO.

Justin Martin can also transfer without penalty since he'll have graduated by the end of this semester. I imagine he'd immediately bolt elsewhere as a 1-year player as well.

Plus, I think they'd probably lose a huge chunk of their recruiting class as well.

reds1869
03-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Time for XU to open the checkbook. Letting Mack go would be disastrous in the short term.

Sea Ray
03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Providence was in either way. A-10 has 46% of its teams in vs. 40% from the Big East. Pretty comparable, though clearly in the A-10's favor. I still do not see a contender to even make the Sweet Sixteen from the A-10's six. Maybe Dayton? I would be surprised if Nova and Creighton are not both playing in the second weekend. Not sure either is quite strong enough to sneak into the Final Four this year, though. If Creighton is shooting well, they can beat anyone, but if they're not hitting a high percentage from 3 they're going out against the first good team they face.

So are you surprised? Given their seeds I was only mildly surprised. So do you think Nova and Creighton underperformed or were they overrated?

Boston Red
03-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I am surprised. Particularly with Villanova. They were awful in the Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament.

mdccclxix
03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Watching Nova hoist up so many threes made them look one dimensional. I guess they were afraid of Uconn on the inside. Uconn has always been a shot blocking team, but Nova was way too late in getting buckets inside. They almost set the record for least 2 pt field goals in that game. Bad strategy, bad balance, I thought. They were a better team than they showed. I didn't watch the Creighton game. They've never been to the sweet 16 and I don't know if they ever will at this rate. I think they were also less physical inside than they need to be in the future to have a better rounded team. Providence showed the best in the tourney, but also was an incomplete team. Heck Georgetown may have been a sweet 16 contender, but they were inconsistent and had no depth. Oh well. The conference title is there for XU's taking next year if Mack comes back with Semaj and Martin and that frosh class. Good time for Mack to leverage. They better find a way to pay the guy more money.

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Time for XU to open the checkbook. Letting Mack go would be disastrous in the short term.

I'm by no means convinced Mack is a great coach -- I think he's got strengths and weaknesses. I'm also by no means convinced that, in a vacuum, Xavier wouldn't be better off with someone like Pat Kelsey as their head coach going forward.

But, given the massive influx of talent coming in right now that has yet to set foot on Victory Parkway for a game, they need to at least retain Mack for a few more seasons.

toledodan
04-12-2014, 04:52 PM
espn is reporting that he's not taking the cal job. i'm not sold on mack but i don't want to lose anyone from the incoming class. if it was me i would start stainbrook and 4 frosh. if that transfer from indiana is any good than maybe start him. if we are going to strugle i want the young kids learning from it for the future.

CoachBombay
04-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Word on the street is Justin Martin is leaving X for UC. I wonder how much truth there is to this

Boston Red
04-18-2014, 11:49 AM
If true, Justin may play a huge role in X beating UC two years in a row. :)

CoachBombay
04-18-2014, 11:56 AM
If true, Justin may play a huge role in X beating UC two years in a row. :)

you bite your tongue

Boston Red
04-18-2014, 11:59 AM
That rumor was mentioned, by the way, on the Xavier message board, though it didn't generate much discussion. Things with Martin really cannot heat up until he finishes his coursework. Until then, he cannot talk to other schools, and other schools cannot contact him.

mdccclxix
11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
GAME ON!

RedTeamGo!
11-14-2014, 04:44 PM
https://img0.etsystatic.com/025/0/8456791/il_570xN.582350000_lajs.jpg

Boston Red
11-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Jimmy Carter.

Enjoy your nut Mr. Blind Squirrel.

mdccclxix
11-17-2014, 09:50 AM
That was a pretty good game, but I'll say, I think X fans are getting too happy over it. Just like when they throttled Fairliegh Dickenson 2 years ago and went on to have a terrible year, you can't tell anything - as in NOTHING - from these types of games.

From what I saw, this team lacks speed on the perimeter compared to last year. Semaj was a cheetah, though, so it's hard to match that.

Macura is still a little small and lacks some flexibility. I think 10 minutes a game might be his upper limit this year.

Randolph is still learning his execution as a scoring pg that can also dish. I think Dee will play 38-39 minutes in big games.

Abel and Bluiett are both smaller on TV that I expected, but they are decently fast and should provide at least what Martin did last year.

Keeping Stainbrook healthy will be very crucial. He's likely the leading scorer on this team. Hopefully that comes with 2-3 assists per game as well.

O'Mara will be fighting for minutes all year and I expect a year like Jalen had last year. Some weeks, we won't even see O'Mara, but then he'll emerge for a good game.

For all the depth this team will have later in the year "when freshmen become sophomores", I think early on X will need all they have from their veterans: Dee, Myles, Farr, and Stainbrook. Jalen and Abel will also factor in, but I don't see them as leaders yet.

I'm most interested right now in see what the perimeter defense looks like in the non-conference.

Boston Red
11-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Long Beach ain't great, but it will be a much sterner test than last Friday. So we should have a bit better idea after that game.

mdccclxix
11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I still remember them winning handily at the Cintas during the suspensions in 2011. That sucked. This team has 3 seniors, 1 sophomore, and 2 freshmen getting most of the minutes. Hopefully X can exorcise the demons from that loss in 2011 by exploiting their youth and locking down their seniors. I think the rebound edge will strongly favor XU, though. If they can keep the perimeter strong, I think X can win this game comfortably.

Boston Red
11-19-2014, 09:26 AM
So....I THINK Xavier is pretty good. Certainly on offense. Looking at the schedule, you have to go a pretty long way down it to find a game that if Xavier wins we'll know for sure that they're good. SFA on Friday SHOULD be the best of the three teams Xavier will have played at that point. And Murray State is probably somewhere between LBSU and SFA. Getting to Anaheim without a loss would be nice.

Caveat Emperor
11-19-2014, 12:21 PM
The team is a good balance of young / old -- they've got age at two positions that really benefit from experience: PG and C.

My key players this year are Bluiett and Reynolds. I think Reynolds has the talent and ability to be a 15-10 guy this season so long as he continues to improve his footwork on defense, and Blueitt has the ability to be that inside-outside transition shooter the team has lacked for the past few years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this team develop.

Boston Red
11-30-2014, 06:13 PM
The seventh game is almost in the books, and I'm ready to call it: if the entire NCAA Tournament is played inside the Cintas Center, Xavier is one of the teams to beat.

reds1869
11-30-2014, 06:21 PM
The seventh game is almost in the books, and I'm ready to call it: if the entire NCAA Tournament is played inside the Cintas Center, Xavier is one of the teams to beat.

It has certainly been a struggle away from home. Xavier can't miss threes like they have today if they want to win in March.

mdccclxix
12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
I know it's early, but a Kenpom defensive ranking of 115 is not going to make for a pretty season. Lot's of wasted offense & watching other teams best player go off for 20+. I could care less if their offensive rating is top 10. It's a Mack staple the last 4-5 years that the team doesn't have a defensive identity to rely on. They take what the other team puts out instead of trying to determine it. Granted, the freshmen are learning and were almost entirely responsible for excess points given up last weekend resulting in 2 losses, but their defensive rating is what it is. It's got to come down. I did hear James Farr say their goal is top 40 in Kenpom defense. That's usually good enough to manage in the NCAA tourney. Really, I'd like to hear the goal is top 10. If they don't reach their higher goal, they will at least get farther along trying to do so. (Stole that idea from Calipari)

Caveat Emperor
12-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Freshmen playing defense is always going to be something of an adventure.

It doesn't help matters that the packline defense is crap at defending the outside shot.

mdccclxix
12-01-2014, 05:09 PM
I wonder if Sumner at the PG and Abell at SG would help with perimeter defense.

Boston Red
01-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Finally!

Caveat Emperor
01-28-2015, 11:06 AM
What's gotten in to Myles Davis recently? Mercy.

Todd Gack
01-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Freshmen playing defense is always going to be something of an adventure.

It doesn't help matters that the packline defense is crap at defending the outside shot.

I'd rather get beat by the 3 than sliced and diced in the lane.

reds1869
02-05-2015, 06:34 AM
The concept of defense is totally lost on this team. Last night was an absolutely terrible loss.

Boston Red
02-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Marquette minus Matt Carlino may be the worst team I've seen Xavier play since Mizzou. X won the last 35 minutes of the game last night 59-28.

Caveat Emperor
11-21-2015, 03:09 PM
This just in -- X might be an OK team this year.

reds1869
11-21-2015, 03:23 PM
This just in -- X might be an OK team this year.

Nice to have a quality road win three games into the season. I really like the makeup of this squad.

reds1869
11-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Great start to the season. Tomorrow should be fun for both teams and fan bases. Also, presented without comment:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?110039-2015-2016-Dayton-Flyers&p=3386588&viewfull=1#post3386588

RedTeamGo!
11-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Good luck today in the Battle For the Best Team In Ohio trophy.

Go FLYERS!

RedTeamGo!
11-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Man, I don't know if Dayton could play a worse first half than this.

RedTeamGo!
11-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Nice little come back at the end to bring it with 8. I am shocked Dayton is going into half time in striking distance the way they played for most of first half.

Boston Red
11-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Xavier has never done this is an early season tournament before. Three blowouts against a pretty solid field. Xavier's should see a nice bump in the polls this week.

RedTeamGo!
11-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Well, I guess nothing has changed, Dayton still completely chokes against Xavier.

Mutaman
11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
I think Iowa is pretty good and Dayton beAt them. So this is really an impressive effort by Xavier. Big East looks tough this year.

Boston Red
12-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Today marks a new historic high water mark for Xavier basketball in the polls. Xavier is #6 in both polls. Xavier was #7 for one poll in the '97-'98 season and promptly went down their leg in Millett Hall against the Redhawks. Hopefully there's a bit more staying power and upward mobility even this time around.

Caveat Emperor
12-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Down 15 at the half, rallies to cover the spread on the road against Wake Forest.

I'm just enjoying the ride right now.

Boston Red
01-17-2016, 08:56 PM
James Farr is my hero. First top 5 ever coming tomorrow for Xavier.

Caveat Emperor
01-17-2016, 09:11 PM
James Farr is my hero. First top 5 ever coming tomorrow for Xavier.

The improvement he's made is astounding. He's committed himself to being a team player and doing the dirty work under the rim to defend and clean the glass. He'll make himself a good living playing somewhere as a result of this kind of commitment.

Hoosier Red
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
James Farr is my hero.

The improvement he's made is astounding. He's committed himself to being a team player and doing the dirty work under the rim to defend and clean the glass. He'll make himself a good living playing somewhere as a result of this kind of commitment.

Farr's been much better since he stopped trying to earn his section 8 release by cross dressing.

Don't mind me, I'll show myself out.

reds1869
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Xavier up to #5 in the AP, #6 in Coaches Poll.

wolfboy
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Xavier up to #5 in the AP, #6 in Coaches Poll.

Congrats. Great season so far for you guys. Hope they keep it up.

aernisius
02-01-2016, 09:53 PM
#5/#6 and 19-2 is worth a bump, don't you think?

It is hard to believe that this team isn't getting noticed locally, especially due to the fact that no one will probably get Big East honors.

It is a wonderful thing to see a team play as a team.

Reds Freak
02-01-2016, 10:21 PM
#5/#6 and 19-2 is worth a bump, don't you think?

It is hard to believe that this team isn't getting noticed locally, especially due to the fact that no one will probably get Big East honors.

It is a wonderful thing to see a team play as a team.

Not living in Cincinnati, I'm curious as to what you mean by not getting attention locally? Xavier seems to have great crowds and atmosphere every night and I usually see their game stories at the top of the local news outlets Web and social sites.

aernisius
02-01-2016, 11:37 PM
I reckon I mean the shallow coverage you receive from the Enquirer sports page. Being out of town myself, I should stop judging local interest based on Enquirer stories.

They are selling out and having great crowds, no doubt. It just seems that if they had a fan base that was marketed by the local media, they would be more of a phenomenon, seeing as they have been in the top 10 for a while now.

I know Xavier has always played second fiddle in Cincinnati due to the sheer size discrepancy of the fan base, but I wonder how long it would take with the program having sustained success to gain the prominent position in the city?

Caveat Emperor
02-02-2016, 08:33 AM
The quote I heard once from someone who wrote in the local media: "Xavier has about 10,000 hardcore fans, and you don't need to cover what happened at their games because all 10,000 of them were at Cintas to see it."

aernisius
02-22-2016, 09:25 PM
A lil' big ol' game coming up on Wednesday. A win for X could lead to a #1 seed in the Dance with some Big East Tourney success. With some help in the Big East, there is still the possibility of a regular season title as well.

When I blamed the Enquirer for lacking Xavier coverage, maybe I mistook that for Redszone coverage! What can you do? Who needs coverage anyway?

Assembly Hall
02-23-2016, 08:37 AM
A lil' big ol' game coming up on Wednesday. A win for X could lead to a #1 seed in the Dance with some Big East Tourney success. With some help in the Big East, there is still the possibility of a regular season title as well.

When I blamed the Enquirer for lacking Xavier coverage, maybe I mistook that for Redszone coverage! What can you do? Who needs coverage anyway?

Nothing wrong with being under the radar!!!!!!! Easier to sneak up on other teams.

Boston Red
02-24-2016, 09:58 PM
That was a fun night at Cintas.

Spazzrico
02-24-2016, 10:25 PM
So wish I could have been there. Good Times in Xavierland these days.

Caveat Emperor
02-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Loudest college game I've ever been to.

Chip R
02-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Good for XU. Just hope they don't fall prey to the Cincinnati post-season curse.

BillDoran
02-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Saw Xavier play at Butler a few weeks ago. The size and athleticism of this year's team is impressive. During warmups, my dad commented that X looked like an NBA team and Butler looked like a small Midwestern private school. Once the ball was in play, the advantage played out. Xavier was far superior. As a Flyer fan this pains me (though my animosity has dulled since X's A10 departure), but it's pretty clear the program has utilized the jump to the Big East to bring in bigger, stronger, faster athletes. Mack doesn't need to out-execute or out-gameplan, like mid-major teams generally do, they'll just beat you with their talent. It's been interesting watching the program evolve since the move.

Assembly Hall
02-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Saw Xavier play at Butler a few weeks ago. The size and athleticism of this year's team is impressive. During warmups, my dad commented that X looked like an NBA team and Butler looked like a small Midwestern private school. Once the ball was in play, the advantage played out. Xavier was far superior. As a Flyer fan this pains me (though my animosity has dulled since X's A10 departure), but it's pretty clear the program has utilized the jump to the Big East to bring in bigger, stronger, faster athletes. Mack doesn't need to out-execute or out-gameplan, like mid-major teams generally do, they'll just beat you with their talent. It's been interesting watching the program evolve since the move.

I was at the Butler/Purdue game and saw a pretty dang fine Bulldog squad beat a pretty dang fine Boiler squad. I was amazed at how easily X handled the Dawgs at Hinkle. The Muskies are for real.

Caveat Emperor
02-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Good for XU. Just hope they don't fall prey to the Cincinnati post-season curse.

I'm already dreading the inevitable "runs into a team that shoots 70% from behind the arc" loss in the round of 32.

Todd Gack
01-08-2017, 10:20 AM
It's so nice to see Myles Davis playing basketball again.

"Xavier: The New UC"

Boston Red
01-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Are you really worked up about Davis coming back after a 15 game suspension?!? It doesn't seem to be that he exactly get off light given his infraction.

Boston Red
01-30-2017, 03:54 PM
First Davis left, and now Sumner is out for the year. This is not gonna be X's year.

http://goxavier.com/news/2017/1/30/mens-basketball-edmond-sumner-suffered-season-ending-knee-injury-vs-st-john-s.aspx

Caveat Emperor
01-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Lost year. Good thing is that they'll be able to get Q some minutes now.

Bacon
03-09-2017, 11:27 PM
I feel sorry for people who didn't get to see the X/Butler game tonight

reds1869
03-11-2017, 06:10 PM
I feel sorry for people who didn't get to see the X/Butler game tonight

I hated the outcome, but the Creighton game was also fantastic. I feel much better heading into Selection Sunday now.

Boston Red
02-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!

Sea Ray
02-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!

You bet! And it's not easy to win at Rupp...;)

Butler's not bad either...

Chip R
02-07-2018, 04:28 PM
I saw the last 10 minutes of regulation plus OT last night and that was an excellent game. Lot of stones by X to win at Hinkle.

Boston Red
02-28-2018, 09:04 PM
It had been too long since nets were cut down in Cintas. Fun way to cap senior day!

wolfboy
03-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Congrats, Muskies! Great regular season.

Boston Red
03-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Congrats, Muskies! Great regular season.

Yes, quite a college basketball season in the Queen City. Hopefully it's just getting started.

reds1869
03-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Time to cheer for UVA and WVU. As a Marshall grad that makes me feel dirty, but as a Xavier grad I find it necessary.

Assembly Hall
03-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Is Mack going to take the Louisville job?

Boston Red
03-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Seems like he will.

reds1869
03-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Apparently Steele is staying. Either he really likes his current gig or he will be the HC in short order.

Boston Red
03-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Apparently Steele is staying. Either he really likes his current gig or he will be the HC in short order.

I think he's only staying until we find out who the head coach is. If it's not him, he'll be in Louisville post-haste.

reds1869
03-27-2018, 11:48 AM
I think he's only staying until we find out who the head coach is. If it's not him, he'll be in Louisville post-haste.

You are probably right. He is also my obvious first choice. Unless someone of exceptional quality unexpectedly enters the conversation, Steele should be the man.

Boston Red
03-27-2018, 03:11 PM
Mack took the job.

dabvu2498
03-27-2018, 03:15 PM
You are probably right. He is also my obvious first choice. Unless someone of exceptional quality unexpectedly enters the conversation, Steele should be the man.

John Brannen?

Boston Red
03-27-2018, 03:26 PM
I like Ashley Howard (Villanova) to at least get a look.

Chip R
03-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Kevin Stallings is tanned, rested and ready. ;)

They might want to look at Scott Cross the coach from UT Arlington who was just fired because....

RiverRat13
03-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Run Matta back?

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2018, 10:07 PM
John Brannen?

Ha. No.

Steele should be the pick. The current and former players are already lobbying for him online.

You go outside the building and you’re liable to lose 2/3 guys to transfer and entire crop of recruits. That would set the program back years.