PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Basketball

Pages : [1] 2 3

Boston Red
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
With the wins over Mizzou, VaTech and Memphis in four days (and the top 20 ranking that's on the way), I think Xavier has earned their own thread now.

jimbo
11-24-2008, 01:11 AM
Man I hate xavier.

RedsIn07
11-24-2008, 02:51 AM
All this coming from an incredibly young team too. Season is going to be interesting but definitely inspires some hope moving forward.

Reds Freak
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I love the way Xavier has played basketball in the past few years. Sean Miller is a fantastic coach. The depth they have right now is outstanding. They're never going to have any stars but they can spread their points around to 7-8 different guys. Last night, Derrick Brown had an off night and only two points but McClean stepped up in his place. Frease was in foul trouble all night and Jason Love was huge down low. Memphis v. Xavier last night was an interesting contrast, a program who prides itself on stud recruiting and one and done guys v. a program who prides itself on team basketball and guys developing for four years. I'm looking forward to watching this team develop..

BRM
11-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Sean Miller has turned Xavier into a "must watch" team for me. I love watching his teams play.

flyer85
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
XU won every game because they possessed one trait their opponent did not ... ability to hit foul shots as the game came to a close.

Boston Red
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
That and the ability to hit the occasional desperation mid-court heave.

dsmith421
11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Holloway is going to be a big time stud. Sean should send Kelvin Sampson a card.

BRM
11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Holloway is going to be a big time stud. Sean should send Kelvin Sampson a card.

You'll be thanking him for Jordan Crawford next year as well.

flyer85
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
That and the ability to hit the occasional desperation mid-court heave.
it VT had hit their foul shots near the end of regulation there would have been no half court heave.

NatiRedGals
11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I dont like Xavier ethier but they r now ranked 16th in AP poll and 20th in Coaches Poll

guttle11
11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
The one problem I can see Xavier having is perimeter shooting. Raymond is not the type to create his own shot, Jackson is an average shooter at best, and Redford just isn't ready for big time D-1 basketball in any way, shape, or form. Brown can shoot, but you're wasting his talents out there.

Inside and on defense they are as good as anyone, though. Those two areas alone will win them 22 games.

GoReds33
11-24-2008, 07:29 PM
You'll be thanking him for Jordan Crawford next year as well.I doubt it. I saw him last year, and he struck me as a huge ballhog. Just sayin'.

BRM
11-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I doubt it. I saw him last year, and he struck me as a huge ballhog. Just sayin'.

He won't play like that under Miller. The kid is very talented.

Boston Red
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Now Holloway is out several weeks with a fracture in his foot. Miami, Auburn and Ohio shouldn't be a problem without Holloway (if they are, there are major issues), but that UC, Duke, Butler stretch that was going to be so tough anyway now looks brutal.

dsmith421
11-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Now Holloway is out several weeks with a fracture in his foot. Miami, Auburn and Ohio shouldn't be a problem without Holloway (if they are, there are major issues), but that UC, Duke, Butler stretch that was going to be so tough anyway now looks brutal.

I feel a lot better about this stretch with victories over Mizzou, VT and Memphis in the bank.

I trust Sean and staff to ensure that Holloway doesn't try to come back too fast and aggravate the stress fracture.

If X can get to the New Year at 10-2 (i.e., loss to Duke, split with UC and Butler) and a healthy Holloway they'll be in great shape.

Boston Red
12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Man, Xavier looks bad without Holloway. If Holloway can't play, I'm not particularly confident about the UC game.

Reds Freak
12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Man, Xavier looks bad without Holloway. If Holloway can't play, I'm not particularly confident about the UC game.

I agree they sounded pretty shaky last night against Auburn without a point. Then again, they were up by 20+ in the 2nd half before they allowed the Tigers back in the game by not making anything from the line. The good news is there is loads of room for improvement and tons of kinks Sean Miller needs to work out but they are winning and doing it against some decent competition...

dsmith421
12-04-2008, 10:33 AM

The most troubling thing from last night's game was the lack of defensive intensity in the second half. Miller lit them up apparently. He made a point at the beginning of the postgame show to note that AU scored 37 points in the last 12 minutes of the game. That is death for this Xavier team, because points are always going to be at a premium.

With that said, I don't think it was all bad last night. Raymond appears to have found his stroke, we played very well on offense in spurts.

I do think X is set up for a real stinker of a result (see Arizona State last year) but I suspect it's coming against Duke. The UC game should be characteristically tight.

NatiRedGals
12-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Ill be at the Crosstown Shootout anyone else going? I will be in section 127 Go UC

OldRightHander
12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Ill be at the Crosstown Shootout anyone else going? I will be in section 127 Go MUSKIES

I agree wholeheartedly. ;)

NatiRedGals
12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. ;)

ooo Is this a challenge :) :p:

OldRightHander
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
ooo Is this a challenge :) :p:

:duel:

NatiRedGals
12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
:duel:

:starwars:

BRM
12-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I still haven't had a chance to see Xavier play this year. Anyone know when their next national TV game?

Boston Red
12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I still haven't had a chance to see Xavier play this year. Anyone know when their next national TV game?

What do you mean by national? EVERY Xavier game is on national TV, sort of. They're all on FSN Ohio, CBS College Sports, ESPNU, another ESPN network or CBS (the Duke game). If you have DirecTV and have the sports pack, I'm fairly certain you can see every single Xavier game this year if you live in Fairbanks, AK.

In terms of real national TV games (ESPN, ESPN2 or an over the air network), the Shootout is the 14th on either ESPN or ESPN2, and the game after that is Duke on the 21st on CBS.

BRM
12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
What do you mean by national? EVERY Xavier game is on national TV, sort of. They're all on FSN Ohio, CBS College Sports, ESPNU, another ESPN network or CBS (the Duke game). If you have DirecTV and have the sports pack, I'm fairly certain you can see every single Xavier game this year if you live in Fairbanks, AK.

In terms of real national TV games (ESPN, ESPN2 or an over the air network), the Shootout is the 14th on either ESPN or ESPN2, and the game after that is Duke on the 21st on CBS.

National to me means ESPN, ESPN2 or an over-the-air network. The rest of those channels aren't on the basic package from Directv.

So they have a couple of games coming up next week on ESPN. Cool, thanks.

GoReds33
12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Ill be at the Crosstown Shootout anyone else going? I will be in section 127 Go UCI'll be there. I have Redsfest early, then the game.

Boston Red
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Sort of a "Bizarrro-World" Crosstown Shootout coming on Saturday. Xavier is in the top 10, and UC will come in unranked.

Should be interesting.

redsfan1966
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I am going to be at Redsfest---just found out today the game is Saturday (12/13) night
--I have begged the missus to let us stay in Cincy a few more hours--I will gladly go if I can find some cheap tix.....:D

SunDeck
12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Sort of a "Bizarrro-World" Crosstown Shootout coming on Saturday. Xavier is in the top 10, and UC will come in unranked.

Should be interesting.

That means UC will win.

Boston Red
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah, that's my fear.

guttle11
12-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I think the game depends on how much Holloway can play, and what kind of impact he will have when he's in there. Jackson and Redford are not point guards, and against a team with presumably a capable defense with good athletes, they won't get any dribble penetration and the transition game will be almost non-existent.

Xavier, like most college teams, isn't very good without good PG play.

NatiRedGals
12-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Am i the only one who is going and rooting for UC LOL

OldRightHander
12-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Am i the only one who is going and rooting for XU LOL

Probably not. ;)

dabvu2498
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Tickets still available. And supposedly Holloway will give it a go vs. OU.

Matt700wlw
12-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Not as if this matters much at this point, but Xavier is #1 in the RPI

XU No. 1 in the RPI
Posted by ShannonRussell at 12/19/2008 4:04 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

The RPI was updated today and XU has moved from third place to first. It has the 11th-ranked strength-of-schedule.

The rest of the RPI Top 10:

2. Butler

3. Oklahoma

4. Pittsburgh

5. Clemson

6. Ohio State

7. Gonzaga

8. Northwestern

9. Duke

10. North Carolina

jimbo
12-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow........ugly. :barf:

Highlifeman21
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
They showed a graphic a couple minutes ago, and Duke had made as many FG as X had attempted....

How we lookin'?

Matt700wlw
12-21-2008, 10:12 AM
The nation wasn't impressed.

SunDeck
12-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Regroup time. This is what I like about college basketball; XU can take this defeat and move on and still be a player March Madness. Not saying that WILL happen, but the point is that basketball games in December are still about building the team that makes a run at the and of the year. Ranking at this time means so little.

Boston Red
01-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Nice win for Xavier tonight. I think they've finally overcome the Duke embarrassment from the national perspective.

WMR
01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
X is a very well coached team.

cincrazy
01-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Nice win for Xavier tonight. I think they've finally overcome the Duke embarrassment from the national perspective.

Nothing to be ashamed of in that regard. Duke seems to be steamrolling everyone nowadays.

Get back to me in March though :)

guttle11
01-25-2009, 01:47 AM
I'm still not impressed with X's guards (Raymond technically starts at guard, but really is a 3), but those bigs are tremendous. They beat the crap out of LSU lanky big guys. Frease had a great game, and Love was his usual, understated self.

Reds Freak
01-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm still not impressed with X's guards (Raymond technically starts at guard, but really is a 3), but those bigs are tremendous. They beat the crap out of LSU lanky big guys. Frease had a great game, and Love was his usual, understated self.

I don't think you ever will be impressed with their guards this year and I think that's what could hold them back in March. Holloway is still learning, Jackson hasn't really found his niche, and all we've seen Redford do is fire three pointers. There's a few more months to figure it out but they still commit way too many turnovers. Having said that, they are really fun to watch because of how well coached they are..

Matt700wlw
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I am, as most of you know, a UC fan first and foremost...that won't change.

I attended the X game last night. It was my first X game ever, and my first visit to the Cintas Center.

They're a fun team to watch, and I love their facility!

Boston Red
01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
That was an awful game. Charlotte was so bad that even Xavier didn't seem to care.

Matt700wlw
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Charlotte is bad...but Xavier does everything right....I enjoyed that.

The Dayton game was the one we wanted to go to...but, as always, it's sold out.

dsmith421
01-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I attended the X game last night. It was my first X game ever, and my first visit to the Cintas Center.

It was a huge crowd for a non-glamorous opponent during a horrible storm. I suspect that in terms of butts in seats, they outdrew UC-Georgetown.

Was it a boring slog? Yep. Charlotte looked jaded and disinterested, X had them in tatters by halftime and the rest was sloppy. But I'll take that over some of the hair-raising home escapes UD and St. Joseph's have had this year.

Still don't understand Daugherty's insistence that X has "outgrown" the A-10 and needs to leave. Especially since he has failed on numerous occasions to explain where they are supposed to go. But frankly I think most of the media in this town, like Matt, are UC fans and have little more than a working knowledge of XU basketball.

WMR
01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
It was a huge crowd for a non-glamorous opponent during a horrible storm. I suspect that in terms of butts in seats, they outdrew UC-Georgetown.

Was it a boring slog? Yep. Charlotte looked jaded and disinterested, X had them in tatters by halftime and the rest was sloppy. But I'll take that over some of the hair-raising home escapes UD and St. Joseph's have had this year.

Still don't understand Daugherty's insistence that X has "outgrown" the A-10 and needs to leave. Especially since he has failed on numerous occasions to explain where they are supposed to go. But frankly I think most of the media in this town, like Matt, are UC fans and have little more than a working knowledge of XU basketball.

It would be a stretch and is probably unrealistic but I'd love to see them join the ACC and just kick everyone's ass in that conference. :D I would become a huge X fan if they were in that conference.

Boston Red
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
They allow Duke in the ACC without a football program, so why not Xavier!

Hoosier Red
01-30-2009, 01:23 PM

I actually agree with Daugherty, the A-10 is a joke, and is about to be passed by leagues like the Horizon league as far as stature. Without XU right now, the league would be lucky to have a conference champion garner higher than a 13th seed.

I'd actually propose a new league form with the following schools.
XU
Butler
Dayton
St. Louis
Temple
VMI
Creighton
Bradley
Depaul
Providence

It might be hard to grab teams out of the Big East, but the other schools would jump at the chance. For the most part they are similar missions to XU, and would elevate XU's competition and RPI instantly.

Boston Red
01-30-2009, 01:28 PM
VMI?!? Bradley?!? Umm, no.

Hoosier Red
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Bradley would probably be at the bottom of the league, but I'd give them better odds on improving to mediocre than I would Fordham.

VMI is definately an up and coming program(there Kentucky fans I said it.) Again, they'd certainly have trouble initially but if they were in a league with stronger teams, I think they'd be a good bet to continue their upward arc.

Boston Red
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
You really think Xavier would prefer to be in a league with VMI and Bradley than one with Rhode Island, St. Joe's and UMass (all of whom have been to the Elite Eight or beyond in the past 13 years)?

Hoosier Red
01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
All of whom are currently headed down, and have almost no dedication or direction currently to challenge Xavier.

There are certain A-10 teams that have legitimate aspirations, but the mediocre bottom half of the league isn't even mediocre.

I can guarantee you they'd rather be in a league right now with Bradley and VMI than with Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Fordham.

Boston Red
01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I doubt it. Certainly not VMI.

Hoosier Red
01-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm curious, what specifically about VMI would be worse than the Bonnies or Fordham?

While a one year rpi ranking is certainly not the complete picture, this is the RPI of the teams' I'd have in my conference.

Xavier 13
Butler 22
Temple 47
Providence 66
Creighton 81
Dayton 84
Bradley 108
St. Louis 173
VMI 174
Depaul 175

Average league RPI: 94.3
Average RPI of A-10: 131.3
The A-10's RPI is currently being helped by GW at 207, St.Bonaventure at 198,and Fordham at 298.

Now admittedly, leagues are not only made for basketball, but as a basketball I don't think there's much of an argument that the new Easternish conference would be better for Xavier than the A-10.

Matt700wlw
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
There're 14 teams in the A10...so it's another lying league :D

They should call it "Xavier's league" or "Xavier and the other guys"

Boston Red
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
VMI is 174, and this is probably their best team ever. 174 is their HIGH water mark.

Fordham is terrible (I wish they were not in the A-14), and I bet they are better than VMI 8 out of 10 years. And even if you stretch and say their programs are even, Fordham is one of the premier academic institutions in the country and is in NYC. You can at least leverage some recruiting out of that (Xavier is recruiting that area heavily recently). VMI is in the middle of nowhere.

GW is terrible this year, but a couple of years ago they were something like 27-3 and ranked in the top 15. St. Bonaventure had a recruiting scandal that landed them in hot water, but they've got a passionate fanbase, and prior to that scandal had been a consistently pretty decent program (I recall them losing in OT to Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Tournament less than 10 years ago).

Three other teams you want Xavier to part with (UMass, SJU and URI) have been significantly better than Bradley or VMI. UMass was in the Final Four in '96, and though they have not done a ton since, they are generally respectable (they're pretty bad this year despite beating Kansas in KC). SJU was the #1 team in the country for most of '04. They're an NCAA bubble team right now (and most years). URI was in the top 25 for a good part of last year and has a fantastic basically new facility in Kingston. They, too, were looking like an NCAA team until they stumbled early in conference play (they choked down the stretch at Duke, too). Plus, all three of these schools are in the Northeast, where Xavier has decided it is important for them to be from a recruiting standpoint.

Your league is better this year, and I'd take a league with DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence in a heartbeat, but I don't see Bradley and VMI adding more than St. Bonaventure and Fordham, respectively, in the long haul, and neither are geographically where Xavier wants to be.

Hoosier Red
01-30-2009, 09:52 PM
No I'll agree VMI has not been a traditional power. And if you want to swap URI for them I probably won't argue. But I disagree that the geography of the A-10 helps Xavier. Xavier's not an east coast school. The original A-10 was all east coast schools before adding SLU, Dayton, and Xavier. I think it would benefit XU to be in the middle of a conference rather than the west coast of a conference.

You're right that Fordham is an elite academic university, but they play in a gym that Moeller High School would be embarrassed to call home.

UMass has basically repudiated the things that made them successful as a basketball school.

St. Joes, GW, URI, UMass are all reasonably good schools and have had occasional success, but I don't think they're necessarily better than Butler or Dayton on a year in year out basis. In the old MCC, it was Xavier, Evansville than everyone else. Now its Xavier, Dayton and one other school, and then everyone else.

What I fail to see is how being in the A-10 benefits XU at this point.

Boston Red
01-30-2009, 10:02 PM
It probably doesn't, but there is nowhere else to go, and I don't think getting back into a league that looks like the MCC is right for them.

For better or for worse, Xavier is committed to the East Coast presence. That was a major attraction for Xavier in the first place.

Boston Red
03-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Jimmy Carter

dabvu2498
03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
That is how you do Senior Night.

dsmith421
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
That was fun. My head hurts.

DTCromer
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Jimmy Carter

What was up with that? I hope that was just randomness.

Roy Tucker
03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
The home court advantage in the XU/UD series is pretty amazing.

Boston Red
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
What was up with that? I hope that was just randomness.

Jimmy was our esteemed President the last time Dayton won on Xavier's home court.

dabvu2498
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
The home court advantage in the XU/UD series is pretty amazing. Two special buildings and fanbases. I don't think alot of people understand how much those two athletic departments hate and respect each other. And that is every sport every year. That is what a rivalry is all about.

jimbo
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Jimmy Carter

81-68

Boston Red
03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
81-68

And rapidly shrinking.

dsmith421
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
81-68

Dayton was awesome when the ball had laces.

HBP
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Dayton was awesome when the ball had laces.

I didn't realize they played with that type of ball on Feb 11 2009.

dsmith421
03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I didn't realize they played with that type of ball on Feb 11 2009.

Not sure why a UD fan would want to talk smack, given that they've lost like 18 of their last 22 against XU, but whatever.

I'd probably be more concerned about Duquesne and wrapping up an at-large if I was you.

dsmith421
03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Seriously though, I think UD's program is really moving in the right direction. Marcus Johnson is probably the best all-around player they've had up there in a decade. Hopefully next year they will challenge themselves a little more in the non-conference.

jimbo
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Not sure why a UD fan would want to talk smack, given that they've lost like 18 of their last 22 against XU, but whatever.

I'd probably be more concerned about Duquesne and wrapping up an at-large if I was you.

He wasn't talking smack, just contradicting what you said.

And if xavier had been more concerned about Duquesne when they played, last night's game wouldn't have been so important.

jimbo
03-06-2009, 03:01 PM
And rapidly shrinking.

Rapidly? Hasn't shrank at all this year.

dsmith421
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
And if xavier had been more concerned about Duquesne when they played, last night's game wouldn't have been so important.

That game would have been important regardless, last chance at a Top 50 win on senior night against a hated rival. And on national TV, no less.

X's loss to Duquesne didn't bug me that much, it was the inexplicable tankjob against Charlotte that tightened up the A-10 standings. I really can't understand how a team like Charlotte can light up Dayton and Xavier and then completely fall apart against the dregs of the conference.

Boston Red
03-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Rapidly? Hasn't shrank at all this year.

Yet.

jimbo
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I really can't understand how a team like Charlotte can light up Dayton and Xavier and then completely fall apart against the dregs of the conference.

I think this year it had a lot to do with injuries, as far as Charlotte goes. They were finally at full-strength when they played UD and xavier and are a very athletic team, which means they match up well against both. I want as far away from them in the tourney as we can get because they are much better than their record shows.

jimbo
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Yet.

Actually, I think with the talent and athleticism that BG is now bringing in, the recent lopsidedness in this series is over. I expect many hard-fought and tight contests between these two teams for several years to come.

Boston Red
03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm glad Gregory is upgrading the talent. It's definitely good for the league if Dayton continues to improve (and for God's sake wins an NCAA Tournament game - George Bush the First is looking your way). But Xavier's recruiting has improved every year under Miller so far as well, so it's not going to be easy for Dayton to get back on the winning side consistently in this series (at least I sure as hell hope it's not easy!).

jimbo
03-06-2009, 03:48 PM
But Xavier's recruiting has improved every year under Miller so far as well, so it's not going to be easy for Dayton to get back on the winning side consistently in this series (at least I sure as hell hope it's not easy!).

Not saying it's going to be easy at all, but he is finally getting the athletes that can compete year in and year out with the likes of xavier. I also think Miller's recruiting has leveled off a bit, and it's also going to get more difficult keeping him at xavier.

Boston Red
03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Really? I'm not sure how Xavier's recruiting has leveled off. Xavier's freshman class is fantastic, and Jordan Crawford becomes part of that class next year. Guys like Parrom, Weatherspoon and Latham are all as highly touted as anyone Miller has ever landed. The talent level on Victory Parkway seems to be getting higher every year.

dsmith421
03-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Really? I'm not sure how Xavier's recruiting has leveled off. Xavier's freshman class is fantastic, and Jordan Crawford becomes part of that class next year. Guys like Parrom, Weatherspoon and Latham are all as highly touted as anyone Miller has ever landed. The talent level on Victory Parkway seems to be getting higher every year.

Yeah, that comment reeks of wishful thinking more than anything else. X brought in their highest-ranked recruit ever last year in Frease (who is developing steadily) and influential role players in McLean and Redford. Parrom is a nice get, and if X is able to land Top-100 big man Kyryl Nataschko (sp is wrong) they will have another outstanding class.

Not to mention that according to Coach Miller, the team's best player in practice and best point guard are both in warmup suits at every game.

I've been hearing about Dayton's great recruiting classes since Gregory became coach. And they've brought in some nice talent--Meacham, Wright, Marcus Johnson, Staten is a great get for them. And yet it's X that continues to win A-10 titles, continues to have the edge in the recent head-to-head matchup, and continues to enhance an already established national profile.

guttle11
03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't think X is going to land Kyryl. Right now it appears John Groce is working his magic and will bring him to OU.

In regards to Dayton/Xavier - Xavier's not leveling off, but Dayton is improving rapidly. It's going to be fun watching these two teams play each other 2-3 times a year. I would be shocked if either finished outside the top 3 in the A10 for the foreseeable future. No other team in the league is coming close to these two in recruiting. Charlotte can get a Braswell, La Salle can get a Murray, but UD and X are getting multiple top 100 types per year at this rate. That's simply above the rest of the A10.

I hope these two teams meet again in the finals of the A10 tourney.

dsmith421
03-08-2009, 01:03 AM
24 wins with this personnel and schedule is fine. Losing to garbage like Richmond, Duquesne, and Charlotte is not.

I believe, by the way, that this makes five (blank)-outs by our road foes in the A-10, and that doesn't include Dayton inventing new uniforms for their game against us.

dsmith421
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Bumped to note that Coach Mack has completed his staff by achieving a real coup, bringing Pat Kelsey back from Wake Forest. With Kelsey, Bino Ransom, and Travis Steele, the Muskies will have a trio of energetic, first-class recruiters. The only question mark is a lack of in-game coaching experience.

Hoosier Red
04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Bumped to note that Coach Mack has completed his staff by achieving a real coup, bringing Pat Kelsey back from Wake Forest. With Kelsey, Bino Ransom, and Travis Steele, the Muskies will have a trio of energetic, first-class recruiters. The only question mark is a lack of in-game coaching experience.

If he brought Mick Cronin brought Bobby Brannen back to help coach big men, you'd have all four GCL schools represented between UC and XU.

dsmith421
04-27-2009, 05:00 PM
If he brought Mick Cronin brought Bobby Brannen back to help coach big men, you'd have all four GCL schools represented between UC and XU.

X has St. X (Mack) and Elder (Kelsey) represented on the bench, and LaSalle (Joe Sunderman) and Moeller (Byron Larkin) calling the games.

dabvu2498
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
And one GCL North guy in uniform. (Derrick Brown)

reds1869
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
And one GCL North guy in uniform. (Derrick Brown)

Man, do I hope he pulls out of the draft and sticks around.

dabvu2498
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Man, do I hope he pulls out of the draft and sticks around. Word. I have never seen a kid improve as much from where he was as a senior in high school to junior in college as that kid. He has worked his butt off.

dsmith421
09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I think it's fair to say with the commitment from Moeller's Griffin McKenzie this afternoon, that Chris Mack's 2010 class is either the highest rated or the second highest rated in school history. The machine required an oil change and some major repairs this offseason, but the future is bright.

With the Reds sucking butt and the Bengals fixin' to suck on some more butt, it's nice to be able to circle an Opening Day and actually look forward to the season.

Boston Red
10-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Chris Mack has been a recruiting machine! Dezmine Wells appears to be another great get for the Muskies. If Mack can coach, the future looks very bright on Victory Parkway.

NorrisHopper30
10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Not sure how Dezmine Wells is a 4 star..6'3 SF who can't shoot. As a UC fan, I'm curious to see how good Jordan Crawford is this year.

dsmith421
10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Not sure how Dezmine Wells is a 4 star..6'3 SF who can't shoot. As a UC fan, I'm curious to see how good Jordan Crawford is this year.

How many times have you attended Word of God games or watched Wells in an AAU game? I suspect he's got something going for him (i.e., freakish athleticism and room to grow) to obtain that lofty ranking.

reds1869
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Wells is a flat-out rebounding machine. He also slashes to the hole with real authority. Think Derrick Brown without a mid-range game, but with better defensive skills.

dsmith421
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Wells is a flat-out rebounding machine. He also slashes to the hole with real authority. Think Derrick Brown without a mid-range game, but with better defensive skills.

Also worth keeping in mind that the kid is starting his junior season of high school basketball. He's got two HS seasons and two summers of camp/AAU ball before he steps on campus. Plenty of time to grow and improve.

NorrisHopper30
10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I didn't mean to come off as insulting, but I don't see where he's going to get playing time on this Xavier team (if he can't shoot). I'd imagine with that height he'd play SG in college..and even if he did play SF it seems like X is topheavy in those two positions. Yes he's a great athlete and plays solid defense and rebounds well...but is it enough to take playing time from the other PG/SG/SF like Dante Jackson, Jordan Crawford (if he's around), Walsh, Redford, Lyons and Holloway? And since he is 2011 Justin Martin will be at Xavier playing the three with Canty joining him as well.

Then again he's 2011..he's got a few years..we'll see.

Boston Red
10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Dante and Jordan will be gone.

He's rated around #60 in his class by both Rivals and Scout for a reason. He's obviously got quite a bit of game and can apparently get to the rack (hopefully he's adept at kicking it out to shooters after the drive). How will that translate to college? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm guessing he'll be a regular member of the rotation if not a starter for the bulk of his four years at Xavier.

guttle11
10-23-2009, 01:18 AM
He's an intriguing prospect for sure. Just reading the reports he sounds identical to Marcus Johnson at UD. I do wonder about his rating being derived from playing along John Wall, but I'm not one to put a whole lot of stock in ratings to begin with, so it's no big deal. Very interested to see his game without John Wall drawing so much attention. He'll be the guy opponents key on for the next two years, and with that ranking he'll draw a ton of attention on the AAU circuit next summer.

Boston Red
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm sure his rating is based on his AAU play much more than his high school play with Wall. I don't think those talent scouts even bother with regular high school basketball games anymore.

dsmith421
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Anyone else going to the Musketeer Madness event tomorrow? My dad and I are using it as an excuse to sink a few beers.

dabvu2498
12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I hope X's trainer has new eyeballs for their guys after that hose job they just got. That was amazing. I can't imagine there is anyway possible those officials could actually justify that decision.

GIDP
12-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I just heard something happened and Xavier players were about to get into a fight. Time to watch ESPNews and hope to see some highlights.

anyone want to fill me in on what happened?

dabvu2498
12-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I just heard something happened and Xavier players were about to get into a fight. Time to watch ESPNews and hope to see some highlights. anyone want to fill me in on what happened? They got hosed by a bad clock operator and/or bad officials. I did not have a stopwatch out to see how much time should be left but neither did the refs.

reds1869
12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
That was just unbelievable. I have no idea how the refs came to the conclusion they did. Even worse were the jump ball call (clearly a reach) and the "deflection" that negated a backcourt violation on Butler's last possession. X needs to protest this game.

jimbo
12-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Official's statement.

STATEMENT FROM TODAY'S GAME OFFICIALS

The game clock erroneously stopped at 14.7 seconds. When we put the stopwatch to see how long the clock had erroneously stopped, 1.3 seconds had elapsed.

The shot by the Butler player was released at 1.8 seconds. The ball went through the net at 1.2 seconds and the clock stopped correctly.

Because we lost 1.3 seconds, that time is deducted from the remaining 1.2 seconds, officially ending the game.

http://xltweet.com/show/?id=53505A5452

reds1869
12-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Official's statement.

http://xltweet.com/show/?id=53505A5452

Now I want to see the explanation for the rest of their terrible calls. :rolleyes:

GIDP
12-19-2009, 06:44 PM
As much as it is dumb I guess they got it right. Of course its flat out stupid to assume that a human can run a stop watch perfectly and it perfectly ended with 1.3.

Sounds like its easier to tell a team their shot counted than pull it back and say no time was left especially when their is time still on the clock.

jimbo
12-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Now I want to see the explanation for the rest of their terrible calls. :rolleyes:

Oh, I totally agree. I though it was a horribly officiated game, but that seems par for the course anymore.

On the call at the end though, I thought they got it as correct as they could have, given the situation.

Redlegs23
12-19-2009, 07:11 PM
They got hosed by a bad clock operator and/or bad officials. I did not have a stopwatch out to see how much time should be left but neither did the refs.

The refs did use a stopwatch to determine how much time elapsed. If I were an X fan I wouldn't be pissed about the time situation at the end, I thought they made the right call. I would be pissed about the jump ball call, which I thought was the wrong call.

I understand the frustration, but if the officials left the time as it was Xavier would have had to go the length of the court and score in 1.2 seconds. It would have just been a 3/4 court desperation shot.

Redlegs23
12-19-2009, 07:13 PM
That was just unbelievable. I have no idea how the refs came to the conclusion they did. Even worse were the jump ball call (clearly a reach) and the "deflection" that negated a backcourt violation on Butler's last possession. X needs to protest this game.

The jump ball call was bad. To not call backcourt was a good non-call IMO.

dsmith421
12-20-2009, 12:55 PM
The jump ball call was bad. To not call backcourt was a good non-call IMO.

I don't think so. Jackson deflected the ball, but a Butler player clearly got a touch before it crossed the halfway line. If anything, that no-call was less defensible than the jump ball because the refs got it objectively wrong.

I was at the game and that ref was looking for any excuse to give a jump ball there. Absolutely shocking Hollywood call.

Redlegs23
12-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't think so. Jackson deflected the ball, but a Butler player clearly got a touch before it crossed the halfway line. If anything, that no-call was less defensible than the jump ball because the refs got it objectively wrong.

I was at the game and that ref was looking for any excuse to give a jump ball there. Absolutely shocking Hollywood call.

You may be right on the back court. It was a tough call to make the way it happened though.

reds1869
12-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Glad to see X back on the winning track. Man, Miami is pesky. I have a ton of respect for Charlie Coles. I had the chance to meet him when I was attending Marshall and he is just as impressive in person.

I'm looking forward to the Wake Forest game. Emotions will be running high and the two teams are pretty evenly matched. It is a huge game for the Muskies' March resume.

Reds4Life
12-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Glad to see X back on the winning track. Man, Miami is pesky. I have a ton of respect for Charlie Coles. I had the chance to meet him when I was attending Marshall and he is just as impressive in person.

I'm looking forward to the Wake Forest game. Emotions will be running high and the two teams are pretty evenly matched. It is a huge game for the Muskies' March resume.

Miami is better than their record shows this year. Got to watch them a few times, they played UC and UK very tough.

Boston Red
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
20 or more wins in 14 of the last 15 seasons for Xavier now. The train keeps on rolling with Chris Mack. They also have a great shot to win at least a share of their fourth straight regular season A-10 championship.

Oxilon
02-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Xavier has got to beat Richmond on Sunday -- basically assuring Temple the Regular Season A-10 Title. (I'm assuming tie-breakers would set in: Temple beat Xavier, Temple lost to Richmond, etc...)

Boston Red
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Xavier has got to beat Richmond on Sunday -- basically assuring Temple the Regular Season A-10 Title. (I'm assuming tie-breakers would set in: Temple beat Xavier, Temple lost to Richmond, etc...)

They'd share the regular season title if both are 14-2. Temple would get the #1 seed in the Tournament.

reds1869
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
This Xavier team has a toughness I haven't seen before. They could go really deep in March. Coach Mack is spectacular!

reds1869
02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
If you didn't see it, Coach Mack posted the message below on xavierhoops.com, then confirmed it was actually him on Twitter. Go X!

100% Coach Mack, Asking
for the LOUDEST game ever in the history of the Cintas Center. You say NO students. I say NO excuse. We need our fans to be a TRUE 6th man this Sunday at 1pm. Our team needs you early. Our team needs you loud. If you're just going to come to the game to watch, give your tickets up. Heck, you can WATCH from home. I want our arena rocking!! Calling all PARTICIPANTS. This isn't a marketing ploy. This is your head coach, sitting at his home computer asking for the best fans in the country to come alive for 40 game minutes on Sunday LIKE NEVER BEFORE.

A-10 teams dis-like coming to our incredible arena. They need to FEAR it. I know the 5 guys on the floor and our bench will play very hard for you on Sunday. We need the 10,250in blue seats to be one big, living, breathing, loud and raucous 6th man. I want EVERYTHING you have. I want a curfew of midnight for all ticket holders. You're going to need your rest. Sunday will be the most fun you've ever had at a Xavier game. On our end we are working with marketing to make sure the pre-game intros, music, etc are ON it this Sunday.

My staff asked, "How will the fans know it's really you posting on the boards?" I told em that I'll confirm it on twitter. So if you're not a follower, no big deal but that's where skeptics can go. No marketing gimmick here. Wear blue. Stand. Be loud. Get it done. I realize not all Xavier fans come to message boards. That's okay. Copy and paste this and email your X friends. I'm giving the same message to Shannon Russell at my 2:40pm press conference tomorrow. I want to win. Our players want to win. Help be the reason we win! Let's get it!!!!!

Boston Red
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Big win for Xavier today. Barring an epic meltdown against the Bonnies or Fordham, Xavier will at least share the A-10 regular season crown for the fourth straight year (although Temple controls its own destiny for the #1 seed in Atlantic City).

reds1869
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
That was a great win. Jason Love is quickly turning into my all-time favorite Musketeer.

mdccclxix
03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Big matchup this friday with UD...redemption time. Big weekend, hopefully.

1) UD - payback
2) RU - Jcraw = A10 POY
3) TU - Ownership of the conference

I'd love to see this weekend play out as such.

GO XU!:beerme:

reds1869
03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Big matchup this friday with UD...redemption time. Big weekend, hopefully.

1) UD - payback
2) RU - Jcraw = A10 POY
3) TU - Ownership of the conference

I'd love to see this weekend play out as such.

GO XU!:beerme:

That sounds good to me! :thumbup:

jimbo
03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
As a Flyer fan, I'm glad to see this game because I think UD matches up better against xavier than the other top seeded teams. Having said that though, I can't see the Flyers pulling out a win. That 25 point win earlier against xavier appears to be simply a mirage. You can't win big games at this level with mediocre guard play.

I do think UD will make it a game, but like every loss they've had this season, they won't be able to finish. Hope I'm wrong though.

reds1869
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
As a Flyer fan, I'm glad to see this game because I think UD matches up better against xavier than the other top seeded teams. Having said that though, I can't see the Flyers pulling out a win. That 25 point win earlier against xavier appears to be simply a mirage. You can't win big games at this level with mediocre guard play.

I do think UD will make it a game, but like every loss they've had this season, they won't be able to finish. Hope I'm wrong though.

It's almost like the Xavier win sent UD spiraling out of control. The emotional high of crushing a rival has been replaced by the inability to finish even the easiest games. I agree with your assessment that it will be a good game but UD won't be able to close it out.

OSUredsFAN
03-11-2010, 11:26 PM
It's almost like the Xavier win sent UD spiraling out of control. The emotional high of crushing a rival has been replaced by the inability to finish even the easiest games. I agree with your assessment that it will be a good game but UD won't be able to close it out.

I don't agree with this at all. After that X game, UD beat Charlotte by 28. The next game they lost to SLU in double-OT when SLU sent the game into OT with a 35ft prayer at the buzzer. That's the game that sent UD into a downward spiral.

reds1869
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't agree with this at all. After that X game, UD beat Charlotte by 28. The next game they lost to SLU in double-OT when SLU sent the game into OT with a 35ft prayer at the buzzer. That's the game that sent UD into a downward spiral.

Sure, but it's more fun to take credit for your destruction. Guess I'll have to wait one more day for that. ;)

mdccclxix
03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Let's go X!!!!!!:beerme:

reds1869
03-12-2010, 10:03 PM
That was a satisfying comeback. That punch will live in UD-XU lore forever.

Boston Red
03-12-2010, 10:38 PM
That's a fitting way for Dayton's season to end (NIT doesn't count). Just a complete collapse.

Crawford vs. Anderson (assuming they continue to beat on UMass) should be a great show tomorrow.

reds1869
03-13-2010, 12:01 AM
That's a fitting way for Dayton's season to end (NIT doesn't count). Just a complete collapse.

Crawford vs. Anderson (assuming they continue to beat on UMass) should be a great show tomorrow.

Brian Gregory is the gift that keeps on giving. Luckily for us X fans he's locked up until 2018!

The match-up tomorrow should be a blast. It is the national game on CBS College Sports at 3:30 so we won't have to do the usual alternate channel dance.

dsmith421
03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
This is one of my absolute favorite Xavier seasons ever. Not the best team, maybe, but they took the punishment at the beginning of the season and never lost their focus.

Today was a microcosm: shooting 19% from the field in the first half, Minny sending back half our shots, Love 0-7 from the field. And they come out in the second half and just gut it out, possession by possession. Crawford was immense. If he comes back this is a Final Four contender next year.

reds1869
03-19-2010, 04:29 PM
This is one of my absolute favorite Xavier seasons ever. Not the best team, maybe, but they took the punishment at the beginning of the season and never lost their focus.

I concur. This team is a joy to watch.

reds1869
03-21-2010, 09:07 PM
There are only two teams in the country who have been to the Sweet Sixteen every year from 2008-2010 and Xavier is one of them. Go X!

dsmith421
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
The Revenge Tour heads to the Great Salt Lake. GO X!

Hoosier Red
03-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Well done lads. Impressive showing.

Boston Red
03-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Xavier's women were just a whisker away from the Final Four. A missed front end of the one and one by an 83% foul shooter and two missed layups keep them out.

reds1869
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Xavier's women were just a whisker away from the Final Four. A missed front end of the one and one by an 83% foul shooter and two missed layups keep them out.

That was just gut-wrenching. I thought the men lost in painful fashion, but this game was hard to watch. It was right there for the taking and the women didn't get it done. A great season but a painful ending to a game that we had won.

Boston Red
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Our guys may not be very good this year, but Jimmy Carter lives!

reds1869
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Our guys may not be very good this year, but Jimmy Carter lives!

X may not be very good, but I think they may still be the class of the league. Temple took it on the chin tonight and we're 3-0. I'll always take a win against Dayton but this one felt particularly sweet. The team intensity has been different since the Shootout and I hope it continues.

jimbo
01-16-2011, 02:48 PM
I think the biggest difference between these two teams the past few seasons is that xavier has had that player that can put a game on his shoulder and carry the team. Tu did just that last night. As a Flyer fan, I had hoped 4 years ago that Chris Wright would become that player for UD, but that hasn't happened. He's a great player, but simply cannot take over a game when the team needs it. Having said that, I really feel that Staten will become that player.

Congrats to xavier for a hard fought win. Here's hoping for another 25 point Flyer victory in Dayton. ;)

reds1869
01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Nice win tonight in Olean. X just took control after a horrendous first half. Holloway is a special player.

Reds Freak
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Nice win tonight in Olean. X just took control after a horrendous first half. Holloway is a special player.

Boy, has this Xavier team come a long way since Day 1. They are still a very average team, but they have improved greatly and a lot of credit needs to go to Coach Mack and his staff. I still think they need to play near-flawlessly through the rest of the schedule to make the tournament but I've been very impressed with their improvement.

Oxilon
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, you can definitely chalk this game up as a loss. ;)

reds1869
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Well, you can definitely chalk this game up as a loss. ;)

Fun stuff so far. I called a two point win in the Xavier Hoops pick the score contest, so I look like Nostradamus right now. Let's hope the final score is in our favor, too.

Boston Red
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Xavier played a really good first half and is only up by 2, so that makes me nervous. On the other hand, surely Temple has to cool off from 3. Great game so far.

Oxilon
01-22-2011, 05:20 PM
This has been a great game. Hope these two meet again in the A-10 championship. I may be looking ahead, but I can see both of these squads getting an at-large bid (in the case that neither wins the A-10 championship)

reds1869
01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Xavier is a different team since the Shootout. It seems the light switched on in a big way after that humiliation and I am really enjoying this squad. Chris Mack and his staff are amazing.

Matt700wlw
01-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Xavier may never lose again.

dabvu2498
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Those throwback unis are the best.

Revering4Blue
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
It has kind of fallen under the radar, but the Musketeers are doing this without three-point ace Brad Redford.

Since we are discussing the Atlantic 10, props to the Duquesne Dukes. the last time they were this good, Norm Nixon was playing for them.

reds1869
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
12 votes in this week's AP poll (good for 32nd), 3 in the Coaches Poll (37th). Nice to see the X Men getting some love from the pollsters in a rebuilding year. Hopefully they can take care of business and crack the Top 25 before heading to Athens for a huge road tilt with Georgia.

reds1869
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I hoped to beat Richmond, but I didn't imagine a victory by that margin. Well, actually I did with my second win in a row on the Xavier Hoops Pick the Score contest. :D

dabvu2498
02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Strange, strange ending to this game.

reds1869
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Strange, strange ending to this game.

Definitely bizarre. The refs had no clue what they were doing with the technical. That was a terrible loss. How do you go on the road and rout Richmond only to lose to Charlotte?

Hoosier Red
02-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Well you probably figured you were going 1-1 on the road trip right? Part of it is the regression to the mean, a smaller part is probably getting an inflated sense of self.

reds1869
02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Well you probably figured you were going 1-1 on the road trip right? Part of it is the regression to the mean, a smaller part is probably getting an inflated sense of self.

A bigger part would probably be going eight minutes without a made field goal. Just a guess, though.

dabvu2498
02-03-2011, 08:03 AM
A bigger part would probably be going eight minutes without a made field goal. Just a guess, though.

Your best player going 3-17 (0-8) doesn't help.

reds1869
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Your best player going 3-17 (0-8) doesn't help.

True, although Lyons stepped up his game to offset Tu's clunker. Other than Jamel the rest of the team forgot to show up.

Hoosier Red
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM

The bigger part was the regression to the mean certainly. They missed a ton of shots they normally make.
I tried to make the point about the swelled heads as delicately as I could because it's not an overarching problem, but I think it's natural to fall into a sense of "Well we beat Richmond by 25, now we can relax."
The margin for error really is slim that any feelings like that can mean the difference between a 25 point win and a loss.

reds1869
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I tried to make the point about the swelled heads as delicately as I could because it's not an overarching problem, but I think it's natural to fall into a sense of "Well we beat Richmond by 25, now we can relax." The margin for error really is slim that any feelings like that can mean the difference between a 25 point win and a loss.

I just don't think that is the case. X raced out to a big lead and then proceeded to play like CYO 4th Graders as they blew it. It was eerily similar to the UC debacle. I don't think the "big head syndrome" had much to do with it. If you watched the game you clearly saw how frustrated the Musketeers were and how they were painfully aware they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They kept scrapping but looked exhausted and dejected.

Edit: I do think the swollen head syndrome is a real problem on occasion. I just don't think it was the issue last night, nor do I think there was any true "regression to the mean." It was a bad night, simple as that.

Hoosier Red
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I just don't think that is the case. X raced out to a big lead and then proceeded to play like CYO 4th Graders as they blew it. It was eerily similar to the UC debacle. I don't think the "big head syndrome" had much to do with it. If you watched the game you clearly saw how frustrated the Musketeers were and how they were painfully aware they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They kept scrapping but looked exhausted and dejected.

Edit: I do think the swollen head syndrome is a real problem on occasion. I just don't think it was the issue last night, nor do I think there was any true "regression to the mean." It was a bad night, simple as that.

Admittedly I didn't watch either game, but isn't that practically the definition of regression to the mean. They played great against Richmond(and Richmond probably didn't play as well as they could,) and they played a poor game against Charlotte(who probably made more than their fair share of shots.)

I don't mean any offense by it.

reds1869
02-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Admittedly I didn't watch either game, but isn't that practically the definition of regression to the mean. They played great against Richmond(and Richmond probably didn't play as well as they could,) and they played a poor game against Charlotte(who probably made more than their fair share of shots.)

I don't mean any offense by it.

Regression toward the mean is simply a move towards the subject's natural tendency. The Charlotte game doesn't show a move towards X's typical result for the season, it shows a sudden dive through the floor. Unless darker days are in store than Charlotte performance it is simply an anomaly, not a regression to the mean. Of course, an improvement such as the Richmond beatdown could also be a regression toward the mean. In that case I would be thrilled to agree with you! :cool:

And thank your lucky stars you didn't watch the X/UNCC game. That was some eye-damaging basketball.

Hoosier Red
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Regression toward the mean is simply a move towards the subject's natural tendency. The Charlotte game doesn't show a move towards X's typical result for the season, it shows a sudden dive through the floor. Unless darker days are in store than Charlotte performance it is simply an anomaly, not a regression to the mean. Of course, an improvement such as the Richmond beatdown could also be a regression toward the mean. In that case I would be thrilled to agree with you! :cool:

And thank your lucky stars you didn't watch the X/UNCC game. That was some eye-damaging basketball.

Well, another way of saying it all averages out. Before the Richmond game XU was shooting roughly 45.5% from the field. Against Richmond, they shot 26-53(49.1%) against Charlotte they shot 22-57(38.1%) At the end of the day, they're now shooting 45.3% from the field. If the Muskies were to shoot 23-46in their next game, they'd be back at exactly 45.5% for the season.

All semantics I suppose, but that's what I'm referring to, whatever XU's true mean, the individual numbers will bounce above and below that all season. The shooting against Charlotte was the 2nd worst game of the year percentage wise, but there has to be a 2nd worst game of every year for every team.

reds1869
02-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice bounce back win today against a scrappy St. Louis squad. Watching this game reinforced that Rick Majerus is one heck of a basketball coach.

reds1869
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
The front page of Fox Sports after the win at Georgia was great: "Tu Legit To Quit." :D

Roy Tucker
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
You can just see Chris Mack getting better as a coach. Xavier sure can grow them.

dabvu2498
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
You can just see Chris Mack getting better as a coach. Xavier sure can grow them.

Funny you say that... I had the exact same thought last night. There have been a few times when it looked like Mack was at a bit of a loss. Last night, there was an air of confidence from that bunch that has been a little lacking and I think a lot of it comes from their staff now.

That and Holloway and Lyons are two pretty darn good guards. Good guard play always makes coaches look good.

But even in the 1st half when Holloway looked like he missed the plane, they still had fight and toughness.

Seriously impressive win for the Muskies. UGa is solid.

Boston Red
02-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Nah, UGA kind of stinks (what a bunch of rockthrowers), but it was still a nice win perceptionwise. Not nearly as impressive as the win at Richmond, but a helluva lot better than losing at Charlotte!

Roy Tucker
02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Funny you say that... I had the exact same thought last night. There have been a few times when it looked like Mack was at a bit of a loss. Last night, there was an air of confidence from that bunch that has been a little lacking and I think a lot of it comes from their staff now.

That and Holloway and Lyons are two pretty darn good guards. Good guard play always makes coaches look good.

But even in the 1st half when Holloway looked like he missed the plane, they still had fight and toughness.

Seriously impressive win for the Muskies. UGa is solid.

I guess a lot of us had the same thought...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110209/COL03/302090117/Doc-XU-s-Mack-is-legit-coach-of-year

dabvu2498
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Nah, UGA kind of stinks (what a bunch of rockthrowers), but it was still a nice win perceptionwise. Not nearly as impressive as the win at Richmond, but a helluva lot better than losing at Charlotte!

I'm sorry, but a win at Uga is more impressive than a win at Richmond.

2 teams have beaten UGa in Athens: Xavier and Florida.

3 teams have won at Richmond: Xavier, Rhode Island and Bucknell.

Not downplaying the win @ Richmond. Great win. But going to Athens and winning is a huge check mark for their "resume."

Boston Red
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Wasn't just the win at Richmond so much as they way they did it. I'm thrilled Xavier beat UGA, and I like the publicity Xavier is getting around it, but I was not one bit impressed by the 'Dawgs.

Boston Red
02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Now today was a HUGE win for the Muskies. All alone in first with the head to head tiebreaker over all three teams in second. That's a good place to be with six games to play.

reds1869
02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Dante Lawrence Jackson is back. That is all.

reds1869
02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Back in the AP Top 25, checking in at #24. X is #28 in the Coaches Poll.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/AP-top-25-mens-poll-Kansas-No-1.html

mdccclxix
03-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Bracket Racket

Jerry Palm, CollegeRPI.com
Seed
1 OSU, 2 Purdue, 5 Kentucky, 5 Louisville, 7 Cincinnati, 7 Xavier
Conference bids: 11 Big East, 5 Big 10, 5 SEC, 4 A-10

Joe Lunardi, ESPN
Seed
1 OSU, 2 Purdue, 4 Louisville, 5 Kentucky, 6 Xavier, 7 Cincinnati
Conference bids: 11 Big East, 6 SEC, 6 Big 10, 3 A-10

Andy Glockner, SI
Seed
1 OSU, 2 Purdue, 3 Louisville, 5 Kentucky, 5 Xavier, 10 Cincinnati
Conference bids: 11 Big East, 6 Big 10, 5 SEC, 3 A-10

John Wise: Big East will deserve every bid it gets

Hat tip to Lance.

A potential 4 vs 5 / UK vs XU matchup would be pretty neat. :thumbup:

XU should cruise to 15-1 in the A10, very impressive, albeit in a somewhat down year for the A10.

I really want that A10 tourney title, though. It's been too long - 2006 I think. 27-6 going into the NCAA might garner a 4 seed even, especially if it means going through Temple.

Boston Red
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
How could Jerry Palm possibly have four A-10 teams in the Tournament?!? He's expecting Xavier, Temple and Richmond to not bother showing up for the A-10 Tournament?

mdccclxix
03-01-2011, 11:17 PM
How could Jerry Palm possibly have four A-10 teams in the Tournament?!? He's expecting Xavier, Temple and Richmond to not bother showing up for the A-10 Tournament?

He must be a Dayton fan.

reds1869
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Another year, another A-10 title. Hopefully the guys can take care of business in Atlantic City and win the conference tournament for a change. Chris Mack has turned in one whale of a coaching job under tough circumstances this season. :beerme:

Caveat Emperor
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Xavier's been a fun team to watch this year. I could see them picking up a win or two in the tournament as long Tu stays hot and they can get competent play out of their big men.

Roy Tucker
03-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Xavier's been a fun team to watch this year. I could see them picking up a win or two in the tournament as long Tu stays hot and they can get competent play out of their big men.

Yep. Guard play is huge in the dance.

mdccclxix
03-05-2011, 08:03 PM

One or two wins would make most fans happy, but from what I've learned about this team, it would not make them happy, especially not Mack. He's led this team beyond expectations with his vision of what's possible. Believe me, he's gunning for the Final Four, and so are the players on the team. Realistic or not to outsiders.

Personally, I can't tell how good XU is, especially against top teams, which is who you play in the sweet 16. They ripped Temple, Richmond and UGA, so who knows? It looks more and more like the UC team that beat them by 20 has a top 10 defense in the country. Look what they did to Gtown.

I feel like the top 5 is really really strong, but after that 6-35 are all very hit or miss. To that extent, I don't think any team can rule out a trip to the sweet 16 or even elite 8. If XU can make the elite 8, I honestly think they'll have a chance to punch through because it will mean they've hardened their resolve, Mack has them playing peak, and the rest of the country is what I think they are, beatable.

That said, they could get beat in a 5/12 game.

Right now, they need to win the A 10 tourney and grab a protected 4 seed so the XU base can follow them the Cleveland or Chicago or Charlotte.

15-1, damn, it feels nice, if not disorienting.

Boston Red
03-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I can't see Xavier doing better than a 5 no matter what. I'm thinking a 6 is more likely. Playing a 9th seeded Dayton in the QF of the A-10 would be pretty unbelievable. What an awful year those guys have had.

mdccclxix
03-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I can't see Xavier doing better than a 5 no matter what. I'm thinking a 6 is more likely. Playing a 9th seeded Dayton in the QF of the A-10 would be pretty unbelievable. What an awful year those guys have had.

You are probably correct, but their projected RPI if they win out is about 11.

reds1869
03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Wow guys, way to give a darn for the first 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

Nice comeback that showed some real fire, but you should never let yourself get down 18 to begin with. Hopefully Mack lets the players have it and they come out motivated in the first round.

Reds Freak
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Probably not the worst thing in the world for an already paper-thin Xavier team with an ailing Kenny Frease to be able to go home and get a couple extra days of rest. Get ready for the tournament. Xavier has never seemed to worry too much about the A-10 tourney anyway.

Good luck in the NIT again Dayton...

Caveat Emperor
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Crap way to lose a game -- giving up the lead on what probably should've been called as a loose-ball foul instead of a shooting foul. Can't really complain, though -- if Xavier would've played with any offensive urgency in the first half, they'd have won this game easily.

reds1869
03-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Crap way to lose a game -- giving up the lead on what probably should've been called as a loose-ball foul instead of a shooting foul. Can't really complain, though -- if Xavier would've played with any offensive urgency in the first half, they'd have won this game easily.

Exactly. Going down 21-3 was just shockingly bad. Avoid even one of those treys and the game goes to the X-Men.

mdccclxix
03-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Dayton should roll into the finals with a chance to dance. St. Joes beat Duquesne in OT.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I doubt Dayton rolls over St. Joe's. They might win, but I bet it's tight.

mdccclxix
03-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I doubt Dayton rolls over St. Joe's. They might win, but I bet it's tight.

Yeah, let down game for sure. Plus Martelli may finally be getting his young guys to play right.

reds1869
03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I really like this draw for the Muskies. Marquette up first and then a date with 'Cuse or Indiana State with a win. In Cleveland.

mdccclxix
03-14-2011, 04:11 AM
I really like this draw for the Muskies. Marquette up first and then a date with 'Cuse or Indiana State with a win. In Cleveland.

I just hope MU leaves their 3 point shot at home. That's XU's achilles heel. I am very pleased with a 6 seed, especially in Cleveland. There are quite a few Clevelanders that went to X, plus all the travelers from Cincinnati. I wonder how OSU fans will cheer? They play after XU. Conversely, I wonder if XU fans will finally show their over the Thad Matta departure. At some point we have to welcome him back.

reds1869
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Conversely, I wonder if XU fans will finally show their over the Thad Matta departure. At some point we have to welcome him back.

I am over Matta's departure, but I'll never be caught cheering for the Buckeyes.

NorrisHopper30
03-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Bad matchups for X all around, I'd put 100 bucks on Marq over X and X has no chance vs Syracuse's zone.

BuckeyeRed27
03-14-2011, 05:27 PM
My wife went to Marquette and I've watched them play about 10 times this season. They play about 9 deep and have 3 or 4 guys that can shoot the 3 really well. Jimmy Butler is their best all around player but occasionally disappers for long stretchs. Darius Johnson-Odom is their best guard and best three point shooter. Jae Crowder is their X-factor. When he is on they are very tough to beat. Marquette is not a very good defensive team which is why they are an 11 seed. However they play hard and have the offensive talent to play with anyone. This should be a great game.

mdccclxix
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking XU by 2 or MU by 5-7. It may take a late surge by X to win. I agree Syracuse is a terrible matchup for X if they get there. They don't have a zone buster inside or out. Redford would have made a huge difference this year, needless to say. It would truly be an upset to beat Syracuse, in my mind right now, and I'm a huge X fan. I'd feel better if X was just a bit better defensively. They just give up too many open 3's, especially to a well coached team that shares the ball.

mdccclxix
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I love this day. Let's get it started!!!

Boston Red
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Can't wait! Let's go X!

reds1869
03-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Well that season ended with a thud.

Boston Red
03-18-2011, 11:21 PM
That was so depressing I don't even feel like drinking.

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Tough to win when your star player no-shows again in a big game and the other team suddenly can't miss when taking jump shots.

Not that I ever advocate blaming the officials, but this entire tournament has been filled with questionable offensive fouls, and this game was no exception. Way too many charges being called. It's almost as if the NCAA wants to penalize aggressive play around the cylinder.

reds1869
03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
It's almost as if the NCAA wants to penalize aggressive play around the cylinder.

I agree completely. The officiating style has been a complete shift from what we were seeing the entire regular season.

Mutaman
03-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Buzz Williams has had his ups and downs this season, but he coached a great game tonight. Marquette had too many weapons and Buzz used them perfectly.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Buzz Williams has had his ups and downs this season, but he coached a great game tonight. Marquette had too many weapons and Buzz used them perfectly.

Marquette won because they played tremendous, physical, man-to-man defense and Xavier (specifically, Tu) didn't have an offensive answer. Lyons was nickle-dimed on two offensive foul calls and never was able to get into the flow of the game either. Too many weapons? I don't know that I'd go that far. Marquette is a pretty mediocre team that shot the ball extremely well tonight. A hot night from the field is all it takes to win most of these tournament games. Marquette was hot, Xavier was ice cold from the tip on. In many ways, this was a replay of the shootout -- Xavier couldn't get Holloway on track at all, and the rest of the offense bogged down with his inability to score the ball.

Also, whoever gave Buzz Williams advice on his suit should be shot. Dude looked like he was going to participate in a mob hit after the game was over.

Mutaman
03-19-2011, 03:53 AM
"Pretty mediocre teams" don't finish .500 in what might be the best big East conference ever. "Pretty mediocre teams" don't beat Connecticut in New Haven, or blow out Notre Dame, or hold wins over the final four big east tournament teams.

Marquette's problem all year is not having a reliable point guard/leader (although Cadougan is coming on), and not being able to defend the perimiter- although they did tonight.

The Warriors played Xavier on a neutral court last year and blew them away, then played them in Ohio in front of 90% Xavier fans tonight, and blew them away. Lets face it- Xavier is a nice hard working team, but not up to normal Big East standards.

I took, that point, jumped on this game, and cashed with both hands. The better team won, on the road, easily.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2011, 09:26 AM
"Pretty mediocre teams" don't finish .500 in what might be the best big East conference ever. "Pretty mediocre teams" don't beat Connecticut in New Haven, or blow out Notre Dame, or hold wins over the final four big east tournament teams.

Marquette's problem all year is not having a reliable point guard/leader (although Cadougan is coming on), and not being able to defend the perimiter- although they did tonight.

The Warriors played Xavier on a neutral court last year and blew them away, then played them in Ohio in front of 90% Xavier fans tonight, and blew them away. Lets face it- Xavier is a nice hard working team, but not up to normal Big East standards.

I took, that point, jumped on this game, and cashed with both hands. The better team won, on the road, easily.

They most of the won the games they should have won, they lost most of the games they should have lost. They played well at home and had maybe 1 quality road win. They beat a good Notre Dame team at home, got beaten by an OK Cincinnati team at home. I wouldn't call that a particularly good team or a particularly bad team. When you add in their mid-60s RPI (last I checked), you get the full picture of "Eh...they're OK." Hence: mediocre.

I'm not saying Xavier's better either, for the record. Marquette was the better team last night.

Mutaman
03-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I guess that makes Xavier less than mediocre.

reds1869
03-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I guess that makes Xavier less than mediocre.

Isn't there a UC thread around here?

Boston Red
03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Isn't there a UC thread around here?

Give them a break. They've been waiting a long, long time for this.

And it won't last very long.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2011, 04:06 PM

That's what we were saying about 5 or so years ago, and you're run is over. Call me a troll if you want, but I'm standing up for my Cats.

Also, X fans should be extremely proud of this years' X team - more impressive what they did this year than any of the past years IMO. They nearly ran the table in the a-10 with no depth and not much shooting. That's how you can tell if a program is going to continue succeeding - when they have solid years when they are down (UL, WVU also did it this year) talent wise.

Cincy is not going away, we're here to stay - and anyone who thinks otherwise must think Mick is going to leave.

I'm a HUGE UC fan and I HATE XU, but come on - is it that hard to admit that both programs are going to be successful and is it that hard to admit that despite Cincy's 5 or so years down (because of a flukey situation), that they are back to stay? Jeeeez.

Boston Red
03-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I just mean that Xavier is going to be awesome next year. I know nothing about Cincy next year.

How long has it been since Xavier's NCAA Tourney results could be used against our guys? First time in quite awhile.

jredmo2
03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
The A-10 sure was terrible this year. The 11th Big East team in whoops up on the A-10 champs.

Boston Red
03-19-2011, 04:16 PM
The A-10 sure was terrible this year. The 11th Big East team in whoops up on the A-10 champs.

Exactly my point. This thread has existed for quite awhile. People have apparently been waiting to come out of the woodwork.

I mean, this guy sure isn't mentioning what the OVC, CAA and WCC have done to the Big East. Or what an SEC team that lost by 30 in the Big Dance did to the Big East champs.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
I just mean that Xavier is going to be awesome next year. I know nothing about Cincy next year.

How long has it been since Xavier's NCAA Tourney results could be used against our guys? First time in quite awhile.

Yes X will be good next year they will be able to shoot and have depth, barring anything unforeseen like Mack leaving. Anyone ripping on X's tourney performance this year can't look at things in perspective - X overcame tons of odds to even get in the tourney and like I said earlier in the thread - if I had 100 dollars to spend I would've put it on Marquette...it was one of the easiest picks for me in my bracket. Marq has depth, athleticism, defense and shooters - something that will destroy a thin Xavier team 9 out of 10 times.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM

I think UC will actually be pretty good next year, but I think the same is true for Xavier. They caught a couple of bad breaks before the season started with eligibility issues for Justin Martin (a Top-100 recruit) and the injury to Redford. Hopefully, with continued development from Kenny on the inside, the team will be in a better position to attack teams that play physical D like Marquette did last night.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I think UC will actually be pretty good next year, but I think the same is true for Xavier. They caught a couple of bad breaks before the season started with eligibility issues for Justin Martin (a Top-100 recruit) and the injury to Redford. Hopefully, with continued development from Kenny on the inside, the team will be in a better position to attack teams that play physical D like Marquette did last night.

X also has a few solid recruits coming in (Dezmine Wells being the best) along with a few guys healthy/eligible. UC has a 5 man class (Potentially 6) to replace all the seniors, but we'll have a nice core of Yancy, Cash, Dixon, Kilpatrick to score points..but we'll be less deep. It'll be an interesting shootout next year because X might be the deeper team.

Mutaman
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!

Boston Red
03-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Here's a final: The mighty Orangemen of Syracuse 62 Pretty Mediocre Marquette 66!

Congrats. Tell someone who cares.

reds1869
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
As a fairly new Xavier fan who missed out on the Huggins Era, I have never quite understood the extreme hatred my fellow alums hold for UC fans. Until now. There is an awful lot of smack talk coming from a group of one year wonders. Repeat this year's success and then you have room to talk some trash, Cats fans.

Cue mention of 50 year old national titles in 3, 2, 1....

Spazzrico
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
As a fairly new Xavier fan who missed out on the Huggins Era, I have never quite understood the extreme hatred my fellow alums hold for UC fans. Until now. There is an awful lot of smack talk coming from a group of one year wonders. Repeat this year's success and then you have room to talk some trash, Cats fans.

I think some XU fans are also pretty sore that despite a much more sucessful 5 year period, UC gets their knob slobbered by the local media and XU is an afterthought. The answer, of course, is demographics and school size, but it's little solace for those who have watched XU mature into a perennial contender and dominate UC most years until this one.

Hoosier Red
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM

That's the first time Syracuse has been beaten by a less talented squad in the tournament isn't it? I mean Jim Boeheim has such a record as an overacheiver when it comes time for the NCAA.

Boston Red
03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I think some XU fans are also pretty sore that despite a much more sucessful 5 year period, UC gets their knob slobbered by the local media and XU is an afterthought. The answer, of course, is demographics and school size, but it's little solace for those who have watched XU mature into a perennial contender and dominate UC most years until this one.

Probably true. I hear that from some Xavier people sometimes. Living out of town for the past 13 years, though, I obviously don't personally notice it. Xavier gets as much positive press as just about anyone on ESPN.com and the other national sites. And I go straight to the Xavier page (or the Reds page) when I visit the Enquirer's website, so I have no idea whether they get better or worse press than anyone else there.

NorrisHopper30
03-22-2011, 03:20 AM

The reason I get mad is X fans can't realize that the Bearcats aren't a one year wonder...we return our top 4 scorers and bring in a top 20 recruiting class that still has another addition coming up shortly.

You wouldn't know that we're a great program though, because you missed the Huggins era.

The hatred is why it's a great rivalry, you'll get used to it soon. There is a diff though, some fans can hate and be reasonable at the same time like me!

NorrisHopper30
03-22-2011, 03:22 AM

The Enquirer covers both teams about even IMO, UC has gotten a lot over the past month or so because this senior class went from losing to Belmont in their first game, to getting to the NCAA tournament. It was a special class - thus more attention, plus the Enquirer has missed the Bearcats.

Also, the national media loves Xavier and doesn't talk much about UC.

reds1869
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
The reason I get mad is X fans can't realize that the Bearcats aren't a one year wonder...we return our top 4 scorers and bring in a top 20 recruiting class that still has another addition coming up shortly.

You wouldn't know that we're a great program though, because you missed the Huggins era.

The hatred is why it's a great rivalry, you'll get used to it soon. There is a diff though, some fans can hate and be reasonable at the same time like me!

I didn't miss the Huggins era, I witnessed the whole thing--just not as a Xavier fan. UC then was a lot like Xavier is now imho.

I realize UC will likely be good again next year, but until they prove it on the court I won't buy in. What gets under my skin is the crowing from some corners (see: Lance McAllister and friends) like the Cats are suddenly the second coming of the UCLA Dynasty. It was a good season for sure but not one worthy of the bravado some are exhibiting.

mdccclxix
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
The last 5 years have seen an interesting shift.

Before UC went down, XU had just gotten to the elite 8. However, soon XU lost Matta, then Miller was slow to get the 2005 squad going. It was bad timing, it turns out.

In 2006 they had to win 4 games in 4 days to even make the tourney.

Meanwhile, UC was beginning to flounder very badly. Even Huggins last year was tumultuous.

So, there was still this residual feeling that UC held the upper hand in 2005-06 because XU kind of slumped as well.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 were all XU from a local and national standpoint, though, and many began doubting UC would ever be able to return to where it was.

During this 4 year time period, the debate has been pretty well settled that XU is the better program. Enter the 2011 Bearcats...

Next year is going to be a battle royal for the Shootout crown. XU will be loaded and UC still formidable, it would seem.

I don't think it will go back to the big brother, little brother dichotomy any time soon, however. Not like it was. UC fell back, and XU surged forward.

Personally, I think XU could crack the top 10 or even top 5 next year with a good start because I feel they will be ranked top 20 to begin the year. If they get to January with only 1 loss, it could be a special year.

I know XU teams always start slow, but this one has the chance to avoid that with so much experience and high end talent coming back.

Just my opinion.

NorrisHopper30
03-23-2011, 12:19 AM
The last 5 years have seen an interesting shift.

Before UC went down, XU had just gotten to the elite 8. However, soon XU lost Matta, then Miller was slow to get the 2005 squad going. It was bad timing, it turns out.

In 2006 they had to win 4 games in 4 days to even make the tourney.

Meanwhile, UC was beginning to flounder very badly. Even Huggins last year was tumultuous.

So, there was still this residual feeling that UC held the upper hand in 2005-06 because XU kind of slumped as well.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 were all XU from a local and national standpoint, though, and many began doubting UC would ever be able to return to where it was.

During this 4 year time period, the debate has been pretty well settled that XU is the better program. Enter the 2011 Bearcats...

Next year is going to be a battle royal for the Shootout crown. XU will be loaded and UC still formidable, it would seem.

I don't think it will go back to the big brother, little brother dichotomy any time soon, however. Not like it was. UC fell back, and XU surged forward.

Personally, I think XU could crack the top 10 or even top 5 next year with a good start because I feel they will be ranked top 20 to begin the year. If they get to January with only 1 loss, it could be a special year.

I know XU teams always start slow, but this one has the chance to avoid that with so much experience and high end talent coming back.

Just my opinion.

It's definitely been an interesting history, and I think next year will be crazy. Both teams should be pre-season top 25 (UC returns top 4 scorers and top 20 rec class) and the shootout will be wild.

Mutaman
03-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I guess Marquette was "pretty mediocre" after all. Oh well, wait until next year.

reds1869
03-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I guess Marquette was "pretty mediocre" after all. Oh well, wait until next year.

Mutaman, thanks for making this feel just like the comments section of every Xavier article on cincinnati.com! I'm glad to know you care so deeply about Xavier and the opinions of its fans.

Mutaman
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Mutaman, thanks for making this feel just like the comments section of every Xavier article on cincinnati.com! I'm glad to know you care so deeply about Xavier and the opinions of its fans.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were so fagile. My post related to an earlier discussion between myself and Caveat Emperor- see posts 210 et seq.

I don't know the first thing about Xavier, but it sounds like some of their fans might have a serious inferiority complex.

reds1869
03-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize you were so fagile. My post related to an earlier discussion between myself and Caveat Emperor- see posts 210 et seq.

I don't know the first thing about Xavier, but it sounds like some of their fans might have a serious inferiority complex.

Thanks, bud. I know exactly what you were referring to. I'm not "fragile" as you put it, nor do I (or other Xavier fans) have an inferiority complex. I'm quite secure with XU's place in the basketball world. I have no problem with other teams' fans feeling passionately about their program. What I take exception to is someone trolling on a Xavier thread. You may not think that is what is going on, but why come in and post the type of things you do knowing darn well they will be inflammatory? If I want smack talk there are plenty of other boards I can go to. Reds Zone is better than that.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2011, 11:01 PM

You should probably PM me if you want to continue a private conversation with me, don't you think?

Mutaman
03-27-2011, 11:41 PM
You should probably PM me if you want to continue a private conversation with me, don't you think?

Gee, I faithfully read the guidelines regularly so I don't offend anyone, but i wasn't aware of all these unwritten rules in effect here. Even when I'm conceeding I was wrong, some people get offended. It was not a "private" conversation. It was quite public, and this is the thread where it took place.

Mutaman
03-27-2011, 11:48 PM
What I take exception to is someone trolling on a Xavier thread. You may not think that is what is going on, but why come in and post the type of things you do knowing darn well they will be inflammatory? If I want smack talk there are plenty of other boards I can go to. Reds Zone is better than that.

Except my comments were not "trolling", only a super sensitive person would consider them "inflamatory", and your uptight reaction is a perfect example of why Red Zone is a pale imitation of what it once was.

Razor Shines
03-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Gotta say I'm with Mutaman on this one (can't remember that ever being the case before). Doesn't really seem like he came in here to troll.

His first post in this thread was:

Simply his opinion on the game. He may be wrong but I didn't see that as trying to start anything. Everything after that was discussion on his first post.

I don't understand how it should have been private either. The crux of the discussion seemed to be: Marquette was just too much for a pretty good X team vs. X gave the game away to a hot shooting, average Marquette team. Seems like a pretty standard message board discussion to me.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Gee, I faithfully read the guidelines regularly so I don't offend anyone, but i wasn't aware of all these unwritten rules in effect here. Even when I'm conceeding I was wrong, some people get offended. It was not a "private" conversation. It was quite public, and this is the thread where it took place.

I'm not offended -- I just didn't want to interrupt you patting yourself on the back regarding your opinion of Marquette. You were the one who said it was a discussion between the two of us. :thumbup:

Boston Red
03-29-2011, 10:49 PM
I guess Marquette was "pretty mediocre" after all.

At best.

Boston Red
11-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Time to bring this thread back up. Most talented Xavier team ever this year. Will be interesting to see how things go when Xavier gets into the meat of its schedule in a few weeks. Tu and Lyons are just ridiculous as a backcourt, and Wells is an athletic freak. Lots of talent around those guys, too, including an excellent college big man in Frease. They're going to be fun to watch.

Spazzrico
11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Time to bring this thread back up. Most talented Xavier team ever this year. Will be interesting to see how things go when Xavier gets into the meat of its schedule in a few weeks. Tu and Lyons are just ridiculous as a backcourt, and Wells is an athletic freak. Lots of talent around those guys, too, including an excellent college big man in Frease. They're going to be fun to watch.

Yeah, I'm super-excited this season......but that makes me nervous. I hate expectations of being great.....easily leads to disappointment. But man, the weapons they have this year? Look out!

reds1869
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
The 2011-2012 team is a blast to watch. Allowing Tu to pass first is a game changer. The weapons on the Xavier roster are unreal and the pipeline is full, too.

Caveat Emperor
11-16-2011, 12:52 PM

They've got the size to dominate conference play and the guards to make a deep run in the tournament.

This should be an *extremely* exciting year for Xavier hoops. I'm really looking forward to it.

reds1869
11-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Good win against the always pesky Fightin' Coles. I swear that man could coach a CYO team to respectability.

redhawkfish
11-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Good win against the always pesky Fightin' Coles. I swear that man could coach a CYO team to respectability.

Very true! Xavier is very talented, and didn't play very well. They never seem to play well against Miami. They will be very good this year.

RedHawk fans like myself wish Mavunga would quit thinking he is Ray Allen shooting the three. Bill Edwards should be an exciting MAC player!

Good luck to X!

Boston Red
11-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I like that freshman PG for Miami (Sullivan?). The RedHawks were a lot better than I expected them to be.