PDA

View Full Version : TRF's second "Who's the sleeper?" thread

TRF
11-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Last year, IMO princeton had the best pick with Ramon Ramirez. Because the Red's minor league system seems to have gotten more interesting, I'm changing it up a bit. You get two picks: 1 pitcher, 1 position player.

Pitcher: Jerry Gil. Strong arm and no expectations. Easy pick to surprise

Position Player: Brandon Waring. Kinda fell of in the second half after Frazier was promoted. K machine of Dunnian proportions. Needs to add about 15-20 BB's, but the power is there. His numbers will likely take a little hit next year in Sarasota or he could produce a Juan Francisco season offensively.

Mario-Rijo
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Nice thread idea.

Pitcher = Derrick Lutz

Nothing more than sheer hope here, he could be a very strong asset if he puts it together finally.

Position = Logan Parker

The kid has the skills, I think he makes a leap to legit in '09.

M2
11-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Pitcher - Shea Snowden
Player - Byron Wiley

AmarilloRed
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Position Player- Neftali Soto

Pitcher- Alexander Smit

TRF
11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Position Player- Neftali Soto

Pitcher- Alexander Smit

Soto's a sleeper? not on this board.

SMcGavin
11-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Pitcher: Clayton Shunick. I expect him to be dominant in Dayton.

Hitter: Cody Puckett. Playing middle infield still but don't know if he'll stick (lots of errors). Nonetheless, excellent plate discipline, good power.

RedlegJake
11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Position player UnderDog! Darrick Hale

Pitcher Ty Cline. This would surprise me as much as anyone but heck, its sure a sleeper.

Several guys already picked aren't really sleepers for Zoners - like Soto, and Parker and even Shunick but I think they qualify to the average Joe who probably never heard of any of them. Parker would be my pick as the guy who pushes his way into a job someday quietly putting up good numbers under the radar while others around him get all the press.

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I really like M2's pick of Byron Wiley. He strikes out a lot but he also walks at a good rate and has enormous power. I'd be curious to know how good of a center fielder he is. I also like Shooter's pick of Clayton Shunick.

Pitcher: Dallas Buck - I'm not sure if he qualifies as a sleeper or not but he does seem to be sliding under the radar on our community prospect list. Velocity is key for Buck. His slider and changeup are already above average pitches to go along with his sinking fastball. If he regains his low-90's fastball he's gotta chance to make it as a #2 starter IMO. If his fastball stays in the upper-80's he a back-end guy. I love his extreme groundball tendencies.

Hitter: Carter Morrison - We won't see Morrison debut until mid-June with either Billings or the GCL Reds, but I expect him to make some noise. He was a 16th round draft pick in June out of Canada. He's a big kid at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds and has plenty of tools. He dominated with a wood bat in the Dominican tournaments, IIRC he hit seven homers with a wood bat but fell because of signability concerns.

TRF
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Hitter: Carter Morrison - We won't see Morrison debut until mid-June with either Billings or the GCL Reds, but I expect him to make some noise. He was a 16th round draft pick in June out of Canada. He's a big kid at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds and has plenty of tools. He dominated with a wood bat in the Dominican tournaments, IIRC he hit seven homers with a wood bat but fell because of signability concerns.

That's an excellent sleeper. And a good reason why too.

RedlegJake
11-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Ooooh, OBM, Carter Morrison is a VERY good pick!

I love this thread - it becomes a who's who of guys to keep an eye on and like last winter it recalls guys who've seemingly disappeared or been forgotten for whatever reason.

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Here is a link to last year's sleeper picks:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64454&highlight=sleeper&page=2

Quite a few (myself included) Redszoners picked Carlos Fisher last year. Bip Roberts picked Dickerson - that turned out to be a good pick. Mario-Rijo picked Robert Manuel and that turned out to be an outstanding pick. I didn't think he had a chance. bucksfan picked Daryl Thompson - another great pick. Perhaps the best pick was princeton's pick of Ramon Ramirez.

nemesis
11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Hitter - Zach Cozart - Really became a consistant hitter the last half of the season and has THE best glove in the Reds system.

Pitcher - Jordan Smith - Was injured after a few rough starts in AA but just seems to have "something" about him...

fearofpopvol1
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Position Player: Alex Buchholz
Pitcher: Blaine Howell

camisadelgolf
11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Here is a link to last year's sleeper picks:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64454&highlight=sleeper&page=2

Quite a few (myself included) Redszoners picked Carlos Fisher last year. Bip Roberts picked Dickerson - that turned out to be a good pick. Mario-Rijo picked Robert Manuel and that turned out to be an outstanding pick. I didn't think he had a chance. bucksfan picked Daryl Thompson - another great pick. Perhaps the best pick was princeton's pick of Ramon Ramirez.

I was one-for-two. I picked Robert Manuel and Derrick Conatser.

This time around, I'll go with Dave Sappelt, but I'm really tempted to pick Jordan Wideman.

As for pitchers, my three top choices have already been taken (Shea Snowden, Dallas Buck, and Tyler Cline). In that case, I'll go with Randall Linebaugh. I'm also tempted to go with Josh Beal, who had a heck of a year in Billings.

lollipopcurve
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
hitter: wiley

pitcher: partch

texasdave
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
With the stick I'll take pitcher-turned-hitter - Anthony Gressick.
On the bump keep an eye on - Blaine Howell.

Redman15
11-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I think Gressick was released and no longer with the Reds.

Mario-Rijo
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Position player UnderDog! Darrick Hale

Pitcher Ty Cline. This would surprise me as much as anyone but heck, its sure a sleeper.

Several guys already picked aren't really sleepers for Zoners - like Soto, and Parker and even Shunick but I think they qualify to the average Joe who probably never heard of any of them. Parker would be my pick as the guy who pushes his way into a job someday quietly putting up good numbers under the radar while others around him get all the press.

I agree Parker isn't quite a sleeper but I don't believe many feel he is a legitimate starter type in the bigs, I think he can be a very solid all around 1st bagger.

But since he isn't a sleeper in the truest sense of the word let me throw this one out there, in fact I would say he qualifies as a serious super duper sleeper.

Sean Conner

camisadelgolf
11-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Yeah, he was released.

But that was a good call on Blaine Howell, though. He had a good debut. I also think Andrew Means could surprise some people.

I also think Justin Reed could make some big strides next season. I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the system.

dougdirt
11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Pitcher - Oscar Castro

Redman15
11-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm sticking with Denis Phipps as my sleeper.

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Pitcher - Oscar Castro

Great pick.

redsof72
11-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Interesting topic. Not quite sure how you are defining sleeper but I am going to guess it would be a player not among the top 20 prospects entering 2009 who emerges as a prospect for 2010. It would be hard for me to think of Brandon Waring as a sleeper, but I guess he could fit. Same for Zack Cozart.

Interesting choice of Partch by lollipopcurve, because he has one of the best arms in the organization. You must have seen him pop one of those 95 mph fastballs in 2008 because you would never get much from his stats. I am not sure he has the makeup though to ever get out of A-ball.

Only among players I actually saw play in 2009, I would go with Daniel Perales, a guy the Reds saw as a future major leaguer in the mold of a Dave Martinez when they picked him up. He played hurt all year and his 2008 season was a train wreck but he had a great 2007 and should bounce back.

On the mound, I like Jeremy Horst but he got too much attention in '08 to be a sleeper. How about Matt Klinker? He throws hard enough, has good command and smarts. Deserves some consideration. I would take Klinker a thousand times before I would take a pitcher like Josh Ravin.

These are guys that have gotten virtually no attention. If you want to talk about guys who are not top level prospects but have gotten a little more pub, I would go with Zach Stewart. He is the guy that should be ranked higher than he is being ranked by most.

SMcGavin
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Several guys already picked aren't really sleepers for Zoners - like Soto, and Parker and even Shunick but I think they qualify to the average Joe who probably never heard of any of them.

People have heard of Shunick, but I think the ugly ERA in Billings scared them off because nobody other than me put him in their personal top 40. (it looks like you think he's a top 40 guy too from your other thread). So I'd be surprised if he made the community top 40 list, and my rough definition of "sleeper" is a guy who misses that list.

I think he'll be like Jeremy Horst this year - doesn't gather too much hype, but you look back at the end of the year and think "man that guy had a great season".

JayBruceFan
11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Chris Heisey

RedlegJake
11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
People have heard of Shunick, but I think the ugly ERA in Billings scared them off because nobody other than me put him in their personal top 40. (it looks like you think he's a top 40 guy too from your other thread). So I'd be surprised if he made the community top 40 list, and my rough definition of "sleeper" is a guy who misses that list.

I think he'll be like Jeremy Horst this year - doesn't gather too much hype, but you look back at the end of the year and think "man that guy had a great season".

I like Shunick a lot. ERA at Billings doesn;t really bother me - its an extreme hitters league, a short season where one bad start can foul an ERA up for good. I look for a live arm and does the guy goes after hitters. Shunick qualifies and his stuff is good enough to get the job done.

lollipopcurve
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Chris Heisey

for sure, but he's more a napper than a sleeper

Highlifeman21
11-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Pitcher - Homer Bailey
Player - Drew Stubbs

I'm still waiting on both...

JayBruceFan
11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
for sure, but he's more a napper than a sleeper

He has gotten better every year he has played

lollipopcurve
11-24-2008, 05:00 PM
He has gotten better every year he has played

yep -- no hiccups yet

I'm a big fan.

JayBruceFan
11-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I hope he does very well

As much as I hype him you would think I was him or something

lol

dougdirt
11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
On the mound, I like Jeremy Horst but he got too much attention in '08 to be a sleeper. How about Matt Klinker? He throws hard enough, has good command and smarts. Deserves some consideration. I would take Klinker a thousand times before I would take a pitcher like Josh Ravin.

These are guys that have gotten virtually no attention. If you want to talk about guys who are not top level prospects but have gotten a little more pub, I would go with Zach Stewart. He is the guy that should be ranked higher than he is being ranked by most.

Love the Klinker pick. He doesn't have any 'blow you away' type stuff. But he has good enough stuff, is very smart and knows how to pitch. I have had a few conversations this winter already about Klinker and his potential to make it to the majors as a starter.

As far as Stewart, I think he is too publicized already to be a sleeper and he is my #8 overall Reds prospect so, tough to pick him. I think he goes out and puts up some real good numbers next year though.

texasdave
11-24-2008, 06:49 PM

That just makes him all the more of a sleeper. :)

RedsManRick
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, my pick of Tzu-Kai Chiu didn't end up so good. Did he get injured?

RED VAN HOT
11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
A sleeper ought to be someone who gets little or no buzz in the zone.

For pitcher, I am going with Misael DeJesus. His K/9 suggests a good arm. He is tough on RH batters but seems to have trouble with control against LH hitters. I think he is poised for a breakout year and will be in our top 20 prospects next year.

For position player, I am going with Tony Brown. He is showing excellent power numbers for a 19 y.o.

cincyinco
11-24-2008, 07:38 PM
I still like Pedro viola and Dallas buck as sleepers for pitchers.

As for hitters, I'm going with juan Francisco. I know, he is a fairly well known prospect but I think he is underrated around here and prime for a huge breakout year from him.

GOYA
11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Darrick Hale

Misael DeJesus

Betterread
11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Pitcher: LHP Ismail Guilon
Batter: SS Junior Arias

These guys have some serious skills.

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Pitcher: LHP Ismail Guilon
Batter: SS Junior Arias

These guys have some serious skills.

I like both of those guys but I didn't really consider them as sleepers.

RedsManRick
11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Let's go for the long shots...

Pitcher: Mace Thurman
Hitter: Chris Heisey

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Thurman is an excellent pick, Rick. Thurman put up some dominant numbers between Billings and Dayton - 33.1 IP, 20 H, 2 HR, 14 BB/45 K, 12.2 K/9, 2.97 ERA. And he's a lefty. The Reds have quite a few excellent relief prospects in the system, and Thurman is one of them. I'd start him in Sarasota and put him on the fast track.

11larkin11
11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I think a guy who hasn't been mentioned yet but had a pretty good year in Bililngs is David Sappelt.

mth123
11-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Hitter: Logan Parker. The kid can hit but has the misfortune of playing the same position as the team's best player and the team's best prospect. I'd love to see a big year where he advances all the way to AAA and gets on the prospect radar on a national level.

Pitcher: I like Thurman and expect big things from him in 2009 but since he's been taken I'll go with another lefty reliever who I think could burst on the scene and put himself on the board by the end of 2009. Aguido Gonzalez turned 22 in September and was closing games in Dayton for a while in 2008. He put up good K Rates and decent walk rates while limiting hits and in 46 Minor league innings the last two seasons has yet to allow a HR. He's a pretty deep sleeper, but I think he's makes the move to AA by the end of this year.

redsof72
11-25-2008, 09:19 AM
I liked Thurman in 2008 (pitched much better than his numbers in Dayton indicated) but I am not sure he throws quite hard enough to get big league hitters out.

Parker is a solid player, better than most give him credit for, but he struggles mightily against left-handers. If his shoulder is healthy going into 2009, it would be nice to see what he can do against Double-A pitching.

Reed and Phipps were mentioned. Reed is a tremendous athlete and a potential gold glover in center field, but he has not figured out that he has to play the small man's game. Offensively, he has to use his speed, put the ball in play, get the bunt down when needed (at present, he can't bunt), steal bases. You look at 137 strikeouts in 410 at-bats for a guy that is really a line drive hitter and that is way too many. He hit 11 home runs and convinced himself he was a home run hitter. But man, can he go get the ball in center field. I don't like Phipps as well as most do, simply because he does not consistently play hard.

TRF
11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
As for hitters, I'm going with juan Francisco. I know, he is a fairly well known prospect but I think he is underrated around here and prime for a huge breakout year from him.

That's a different thread, and posted here (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72692)

camisadelgolf
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I think a guy who hasn't been mentioned yet but had a pretty good year in Bililngs is David Sappelt.

I already mentioned him. He's my pick. ;)

camisadelgolf
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Wow, my pick of Tzu-Kai Chiu didn't end up so good. Did he get injured?

Yeah, he battled injuries all year.

mace
11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
It's getting tough to hang in with the quality of these picks. Good stuff. Without duplicating somebody else's choice, I'll unscientifically go with . . .

Everyday player: Eric Eymann

(Also considered: Tyler Stovall, Shaun Cumberland, Cody Strait, Jose Castro, Efrain Contreras)

Pitcher: Jeff Jeffords

(Also considered: Luis Montano, Josh Beal, Travis Webb)

JayBruceFan
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Cody Strait isn't with the Reds anymore

mace
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Cody Strait isn't with the Reds anymore

Solly, Cholly. Is Webb?

dougdirt
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Solly, Cholly. Is Webb?

Last I knew of, yes. He had TJ this past spring, which is why he didn't play this year.

camisadelgolf
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
What's with all the love for Darrick Hale? This year, he has a small frame, is 23 years old, in the GCL, hasn't done anything to impress.

GOYA
11-25-2008, 07:26 PM
He's scrappy. :D

OnBaseMachine
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
What's with all the love for Darrick Hale? This year, he has a small frame, is 23 years old, in the GCL, hasn't done anything to impress.

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw his name pop up. He's already 23 and put up just a .665 OPS in the GCL last year.

GOYA
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
If you're going to quote stats from a small sample size, look at the .804 OPS at Sarasota. He just strikes me as a little SS that's going to work his tail off to get to the bigs. Besides this is sleeper, not next big league all-star. He's got low expectations in spades. If he makes it to Dayton it would be huge.

edit for an addition pitcher: Raul Rodriguez - born on the day of the first game of the 1990 WS. That's mojo.

Betterread
11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I like both of those guys but I didn't really consider them as sleepers.

I viewed them as sleepers because they haven't played a game for a Reds minor league team, they haven't been listed in the top prospects list and they were missing from a lot of the top 40 prospect lists posted on the thread with that title. I think you had them on your list, but you were in the minority. I wanted Morrison for the hitter, but you already picked him.

camisadelgolf
11-25-2008, 10:00 PM
If you're going to quote stats from a small sample size, look at the .804 OPS at Sarasota. He just strikes me as a little SS that's going to work his tail off to get to the bigs. Besides this is sleeper, not next big league all-star. He's got low expectations in spades. If he makes it to Dayton it would be huge.

edit for an addition pitcher: Raul Rodriguez - born on the day of the first game of the 1990 WS. That's mojo.

The thread title is 'sleepers', not players who are comatose. ;)

RedlegJake
11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
The thread title is 'sleepers', not players who are comatose. ;)

Please, Hale's not comatose. He'll be quite alive when the year ends. You'll see.

camisadelgolf
11-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Please, Hale's not comatose. He'll be quite alive when the year ends. You'll see.

I hope you're right. Fwiw, I will say that he's probably better than most of us give him credit for.

RedlegJake
11-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I hope you're right. Fwiw, I will say that he's probably better than most of us give him credit for.

I'm reaching and I know it. I like his story. Always root for the underdog. It's less that I expect him to do great but that I really root for guys like him.

Ron Madden
11-27-2008, 05:41 AM
I like his story. Always root for the underdog. It's less that I expect him to do great but that I really root for guys like him.

I understand exactly what you're saying Jake. I'm guilty of the same offense.

:beerme:

kpresidente
11-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Michael Griffin.

He won't blow anybody away, but maybe a .300/.350/.450 line.

reds44
11-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Pitcher: Jerry Gill
Hitter: I expect Francisco to go from no walks to stud prospect.

JayBruceFan
11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Sean Watson

If he can his act together and pitch like he did in Dayton he will be dominant

Kc61
11-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Juan Francisco will emerge as one of the Reds' very top prospects with a big year at AA.

Sam Lecure will surprise at AAA and may even get to the Reds by September.

camisadelgolf
11-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Michael Griffin.

He won't blow anybody away, but maybe a .300/.350/.450 line.

Good choice. It wouldn't shock me to see him picked in the rule five draft.