PDA

View Full Version : Impact Analysis: Edinson Volquez

HalMorrisRules
11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
KFFL Analysis (http://www.kffl.com/article.php/97328/88)

KFFL has a breakdown on Edinson's season last year and looks forward to what he might be expected to do next year. I have to agree with virtually everything that is said regarding his potential for next year. I do not think that he will succeed to the extent that he did last year. Like I said in an earlier thread, I would not shop EV around but if the right offer came around, I would seriously consider it because EV's value might never be higher.

tripleaaaron
11-29-2008, 01:44 AM
ahhh.... looking back

tripleaaaron
11-29-2008, 01:45 AM
ahhh.... looking back

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/72123/88?rating=10

11-29-2008, 04:36 AM
First off, this is a fantasy analysis, so that should be taken into account. But most fantasy stats for pitchers are good ones for the real thing too. Still, it is not the same as true scouting report.

Regardless, I think way too much is being made out of Volquez's second half slide. It was his first full year, he pitched in the All-Star game instead of having his normal rest, and let's not forget Dusty's poor decision to have him pitch in the Padres extra inning game.
This lead to a terrible six week period after the All-Star break, , but after that, he pitched pretty well. From August 12 on, he went 4-1 with a 3.88 ERA, 65 K's and only 47 hits in 58 innings and he only gave up three homers.

So really, it looks like he just went through a "dead arm" period, which is very normal for every pitcher, especially young ones, and then recovered to pitch like an ace.

Also, Dice K had a horrible second half in 07, then came back to have a dominant 08. I see Volquez doing the same. I think he will actually improve for two main reasons. One, he is reaching a pitchers prime years, 25-30, when he will get stronger and develop more endurance, and two, he will have a better defense behind him. Jocketty has made it clear that an improved defense is priority number one. That will help all Reds pitchers.

Ghosts of 1990
11-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Hope KFFL does this on Bruce, Votto, and EdE

redsfandan
11-29-2008, 11:28 AM
... Like I said in an earlier thread, I would not shop EV around but if the right offer came around, I would seriously consider it because EV's value might never be higher.

really? to fill one hole by creating another? or to acquire players with the potential to become young, cheap, major league studs like volquez already is?

Ghosts of 1990
11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
really? to fill one hole by creating another? or to acquire players with the potential to become young, cheap, major league studs like volquez already is?

+1

tripleaaaron
11-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Hope KFFL does this on Bruce, Votto, and EdE
Apparently you didn't follow my link to Homer, we didn't always get them right.

bubbachunk
11-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Why once we finally get pitching does everyone wanna trade it away? Especially a guy that will be our number one or two.