PDA

View Full Version : Misc Rumors

redsfandan
11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
Perrotto's Latest: Teixeira, Burnett, Wilson
By Nat Boyle [November 30 at 1:02pm CST]
John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus has his Sunday article up. Let's go through it:

-The Angels may be willing to match the Yankees $140MM offer to CC Sabathia. They won't offer 10 years to Mark Teixeira. If they can't land Teixeira, they will consider Pat Burrell for first base.
-A.J. Burnett is looking at the Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees, Braves, Orioles, and Phillies.
-The Twins want a left-side infielder for Delmon Young, so they can open a spot for Denard Span in the starting lineup.
-The Tigers are pursuing Jack Wilson from the Pirates and Matt Treanor from the Marlins. They are also putting high priority on signing Joe Beimel who's getting interest from a number of teams.
-The Dodgers will not re-sign Rafael Furcal for health reasons so the Giants, Athletics, and Reds are his most likely destinations.
-The Cubs will need to offer more than Jason Marquis to the Royals for David DeJesus. If they can't get it done, they'd sign Raul Ibanez over Bobby Abreu.
-The Braves are interested in Javier Vazquez and Jermaine Dye...
-The Reds need to offer more than Homer Bailey to get Dye.
-The Mets are considering Jon Garland, Vazquez, Edwin Jackson, Andy Sonnanstine. --The Rays want more than Aaron Heilman for either of their starters.
-The Mets could soon become suitors for Manny Ramirez.
-The Brewers could soon become suitors for Francisco Rodriguez.
-The Astros are targeting Paul Bako and David Ross as backup catchers.
-The Rockies are trying to find lefthanders, eyeing Alan Embree, Will Ohman, Brian Shouse, and Glendon Rusch.

Cafardo's Latest: Lowe, Lowell, Dye, Saltalamacchia
By Nat Boyle [November 30 at 12:18pm CST]
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says when Derek Lowe sat down with his agent, he inquired first about the Boston Red Sox. Says Cafardo,

"This Lowe doesn't bear much resemblance to the guy who left the Sox after 2004. Back then, his out-of-control personal life seemed to consume him. The Red Sox didn't want to deal with it and let him become a free agent. Lowe feels leaving was the best thing. 'I think I'm a lot better pitcher now, teammate now, than I was four years ago,' he said. 'Sometimes you have to learn, and I think getting out of Boston was the best thing for me.'"

Lowe notes the Red Sox fit the mold of what he's looking for in his next team.

And around the bigs:

-Roy Oswalt is pushing Ben Sheets to consider the Astros.
-Split opinions on interest in Mike Lowell, but either way this shouldn't affect the Red Sox pursuit of Mark Teixeira. Cafardo lists Dodgers, Angels, Indians, and Twins as possible destinations for Lowell.
-Jermaine Dye is a good fit for Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and the Mets. The White Sox would want more than Andy Sonnanstine or Edwin Jackson in exchange for Dye.
-Jarrod Saltalamacchia looks good in the Dominican League, hitting .435 with 4 homeruns and 2 doubles in 23 ABs.
-Willie Bloomquist could be Alex Cora's replacement at utility in Boston.

schmidty622
11-30-2008, 04:33 PM
-The Dodgers will not re-sign Rafael Furcal for health reasons so the Giants, Athletics, and Reds are his most likely destinations.
Sounds Good, doubt he ends up in cincy tho

-The Braves are interested in Javier Vazquez and Jermaine Dye...
-The Reds need to offer more than Homer Bailey to get Dye.

Well I would put together a nice package to get both of them. Gives a #2-3 starter and a starting leftfielder for the next two years.

ChatterRed
12-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm finding the lack of moves and spending, very, very interesting.

Teams are being cautious.

Outside of the very big names like Sabathia and Manny, you aren't seeing alot of movement. And it also seems like teams that started out interested in some of these guys, have changed their minds and are tightening their wallets.

I'm thinking many of these guys aren't going to get paid what they think they are worth.

Ghosts of 1990
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Ms. Lippy's car...... is Green

bubbachunk
12-01-2008, 12:48 AM
If we have to give up more then Homer for Dye then don't do the deal. I don't like it to begin with though granted Homer's potential. You would be giving up a potential 1 or 2 for 2 years of a below average defensive aging RF.

NO THANKS

HeatherC1212
12-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm finding the lack of moves and spending, very, very interesting.

Teams are being cautious.

Outside of the very big names like Sabathia and Manny, you aren't seeing alot of movement. And it also seems like teams that started out interested in some of these guys, have changed their minds and are tightening their wallets.

I'm thinking many of these guys aren't going to get paid what they think they are worth.

I've read more than a few places that things really won't get rolling until the Winter Meetings which actually start at the end of this week. I bet we start hearing more things regarding FA signings next week and the week after once those Winter Meetings are over.

Steviejoe
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I really don't want furcal,I'm afraid of another alex gonzalez on our payroll with no return.A back injury is smothing to worry about.I would like to have dye,give up bailey and paul janish.

Redman15
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Dye deal to Cincinnati on hold
Rumor had it the White Sox were shipping Jermaine Dye and his 137 homers in the last four years to Cincinnati in exchange for perhaps a backup catcher for A.J. Pierzynski as well as one of the Reds' surplus arms (Homer Bailey? Josh Roenicke? Matt Maloney?). But now it appears there is some financial reason the deal is being held up. Dye is supposed to make $11.5 million in 2009 and could be bought out for $1 million in 2010 if he proves to be a bust for the Reds. (Chicago Tribune)

bubbachunk
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Dye deal to Cincinnati on hold
Rumor had it the White Sox were shipping Jermaine Dye and his 137 homers in the last four years to Cincinnati in exchange for perhaps a backup catcher for A.J. Pierzynski as well as one of the Reds' surplus arms (Homer Bailey? Josh Roenicke? Matt Maloney?). But now it appears there is some financial reason the deal is being held up. Dye is supposed to make $11.5 million in 2009 and could be bought out for $1 million in 2010 if he proves to be a bust for the Reds. (Chicago Tribune)

That is interesting consider we are also looking for a catcher :eek:

ChatterRed
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
If we have to give up more then Homer for Dye then don't do the deal. I don't like it to begin with though granted Homer's potential. You would be giving up a potential 1 or 2 for 2 years of a below average defensive aging RF.

NO THANKS

Homer will never be anything better than a 4th starter.

I don't want Furcal only because of his current injury and age.

I don't really want Dye unless he comes to us for little in return.

redsfandan
12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I tried to underline all of the type A FA's. If they aren't offered arbitration then they won't cost the team that signs them a draft pick which would make them a more attractive pick up.

Arbitration Rumors By Tim Dierkes [December 1 at 9:21am CST]

The deadline for each team's arbitration decisions is 11pm CST tonight. In this post I am gathering up all the rumors about those decisions. I'll add updates throughout the day. Check out MLBTR reader predictions here and here.

-Larry LaRue says the Mariners will "almost certainly" offer arb to Raul Ibanez.
-Todd Zolecki says the Phillies won't offer arb to Tom Gordon or Rudy Seanez. He believes Jamie Moyer will get an offer but Pat Burrell may be too risky.
-Padres GM Kevin Towers says it's "doubtful" they'll offer arb to Trevor Hoffman.
-Mark Bowman says John Smoltz won't be offered arb.
-Jordan Bastian says A.J. Burnett will be offered arbitration.
-Tom Haudricourt says C.C. Sabathia will get an offer and Eric Gagne won't. He expects Ben Sheets to get an offer but is unsure on Brian Shouse. Adam McCalvy says the Brewers are certain to offer arb to Shouse.
-Ken Davidoff says Bobby Abreu, Oliver Perez, and Mike Mussina will be offered arbitration. Andy Pettitte, Jason Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez, Moises Alou, and Luis Ayala will not be offered arb. River Ave. Blues doesn't agree with the probable Pettitte decision. According to George King of the New York Post, the Yanks made an offer below $16MM to Pettitte a few weeks ago, which was rejected.
-Ian Browne says it's a "near given" the Red Sox will offer arb to Jason Varitek.
-Troy E. Renck says the Rockies will offer arb to Brian Fuentes.
-The San Francisco Chronicle says Frank Thomas will not be offered arbitration, perhaps because he'd like to come back. Alan Embree might be.
-Ken Rosenthal says the decisions for Adam Dunn, Kerry Wood, and Sheets could go either way.
-Gordon Wittenmyer says the Cubs won't offer arb to Wood if they expect him to accept. He says Bob Howry will not be offered arb.
-Scott Merkin says Juan Uribe and Ken Griffey Jr. will not be offered arb, while Orlando Cabrera probably will be.
-An arb offer to Mark Grudzielanek seems unlikely, but Dayton Moore wouldn't rule it out.

redsfandan
12-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Here are the type A FA's that aren't listed in the post above: Mark Teixeira, Orlando Hudson, Edgar Renteria, Manny Ramirez, Derek Lowe, Francisco Rodriguez, Doug Brocail, Juan Cruz, Darren Oliver, and Russ Springer.

REDblooded
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Ahhh... time to sell low on Homer Bailey. Great idea!

TheBigLebowski
12-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Bailey for Dye is a deal we will look back on in anguish 5 years from now.

REDblooded
12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Bailey for Dye is a deal we will look back on in anguish 5 years from now.

you mean, kinda like Haren for Mulder? It's not like the precedence hasn't already been set.

Fullboat
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
"Lowe notes the Red Sox fit the mold of what he's looking for in his next team"

$

bounty37h
12-03-2008, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=schmidty622;1768929]-The Dodgers will not re-sign Rafael Furcal for health reasons so the Giants, Athletics, and Reds are his most likely destinations.
Sounds Good, doubt he ends up in cincy tho

I would have to pass on this, we are already paying one SS a fortune to not play due to injury/physical issues, why add another???

BLEEDS
12-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Vazquez to the Braves
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuS6fGR_7K8iEUHZLceS6iYRvLYF?slug=ap-braves-whitesoxtrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Arbitration updates
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsTWbUpzxRRGYP_GM08uylIRvLYF?slug=jp-arbitrationroundup120208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Steviejoe
12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Has cincy give up on Keppinger,i think the injury was bad,maybe he tried to come back to soon.I like Jason Bartlett of tb,be a good fit.As for Bailey he had decent potenrial,but like some i don't see it developing in cincy,i still belive he will be one of the prospects to go.And as for Mulder i wound not be opposed to him as a fifth starter,at a fifth starter price.It was noted on mlb trade rumors,that the reds may have offered Weathers a 2 year deal.How about that.

Hondo
12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Has cincy give up on Keppinger,i think the injury was bad,maybe he tried to come back to soon.I like Jason Bartlett of tb,be a good fit.As for Bailey he had decent potenrial,but like some i don't see it developing in cincy,i still belive he will be one of the prospects to go.And as for Mulder i wound not be opposed to him as a fifth starter,at a fifth starter price.It was noted on mlb trade rumors,that the reds may have offered Weathers a 2 year deal.How about that.

I told everyone that Kepp was not a Starter and guys from the ORG got on me and guys from here got on me about it...

I was right and they were all wrong... Not gloating mind you... Just statign that everyone said i was out of my mind because I didn't think Kepp was a full time player...

Although I was wrong about the Edinson Volquez - Josh Hamilton Trade...

Emin3mShady07
12-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I told everyone that Kepp was not a Starter and guys from the ORG got on me and guys from here got on me about it...

I was right and they were all wrong... Not gloating mind you... Just statign that everyone said i was out of my mind because I didn't think Kepp was a full time player...

I would say that Kepp could still be an everyday second baseman, but there is already a better player there so he is kinda SOL. They could also move him to third, but he is not the typical hitter of a third baseman, but I imagine he would be above average defensively because he has great hands, he just didn't have the range to play SS.

tbball10
12-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Actually, you may not have been right. Before his injury, Kepp hit .324/.373/.446 for an .819 ops. If he is healthy for a full season, I think he would be a solid, consistent hitter for the Reds in the 2-hole. I don't think he'd have a problem hitting over .300 with 10 HR. I think his defense is solid, although his range may be suspect, I would definitely prefer him to Janish right now, as long as he is healthy.

ChatterRed
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Actually, you may not have been right. Before his injury, Kepp hit .324/.373/.446 for an .819 ops. If he is healthy for a full season, I think he would be a solid, consistent hitter for the Reds in the 2-hole. I don't think he'd have a problem hitting over .300 with 10 HR. I think his defense is solid, although his range may be suspect, I would definitely prefer him to Janish right now, as long as he is healthy.

I don't know how someone can say after 1.5 seasons that Keppinger isn't an everyday player. He came in his first season because someone got hurt and played pretty often, produced and did well.

In his second season, he was playing pretty often but broke a bone and probably rushed himself back.

The jury is still definitely out on Keppinger.

On a side note, while we're making predictions.........it would not surprise me at some point to see Phillips dealt (because of his increasing salary each year) and Keppinger stuck on second base permanently as a cost savings, and the money being used elsewhere to bolster this team.

tbball10
12-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't know how someone can say after 1.5 seasons that Keppinger isn't an everyday player. He came in his first season because someone got hurt and played pretty often, produced and did well.

In his second season, he was playing pretty often but broke a bone and probably rushed himself back.

The jury is still definitely out on Keppinger.

On a side note, while we're making predictions.........it would not surprise me at some point to see Phillips dealt (because of his increasing salary each year) and Keppinger stuck on second base permanently as a cost savings, and the money being used elsewhere to bolster this team.

Good point. There look to be some solid options at 2B in the near future with Kepp, Valaika, and Turner, so it may be wise to trade Phillips if it meets some needs, although I like Brandon alot.

BLEEDS
12-04-2008, 12:13 PM
The biggest thing Kepp has going is that - when healthy - he's the IDEAL #2 hole hitter for this team. There is no distant second option even, only a bunch of thirds.

The biggest DISadvantage for Kepp is that he's a man without a fielding position. Doesn't have enough power to warrant a corner IF/OF spot, and he's already shown to be a liability at SS. His ideal position would be 2B, but nobody seems to have the gumption, or balls, to ask BP to move there. Sure we'd digress at 2B defense, but we'd surely upgrade our SS position enough to probably call it an overall upgrade to our MI, and - IFF those same people would move BP out of the 3 hole versus righties - it would DRAMATICALLY increase the Offensive output of the middle infielders.

As noted by many posters, all signs point to BP being an expensive clog at a deep position - and his salary and inability to effectively hit RHP (which is almost 70% of his AB's) whilst remaining in the middle of the lineup - so the LOGICAL move would be to move him, either to SS along with a drop in the lineup vs. RHP, or off this roster entirely.

Sadly, I don't see either of those happening anytime soon.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

schmidty622
12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
If a guy with a career .338 OBP and .729 OPS is "the IDEAL #2 hole hitter for this team.", you've got a pretty bad team.

redsfandan
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
If a guy with a career .338 OBP and .729 OPS is "the IDEAL #2 hole hitter for this team.", you've got a pretty bad team.

those #'s are kinda skewed by 2008 when he played injured. in 2007 he was .332 .400 .477 .877 and in the minors he was .322 .375 .423 .798.

Hondo
12-04-2008, 12:40 PM

You and I are on the same page...

This man Crush these guys have on Keppinger is really weird...

BLEEDS
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Not a man-crush, and not really saying he's a Top Tier #2 guy - just on THIS TEAM he really shined in that role, in 2007.

I'm not even saying he SHOULD be an everyday player, but given that the majority of the rest of the roster is filled with sloth-like power hitters, and the enigma that is BP, along with a bunch of young guys who are having their previously AWESOME patient approaches to the plate being screwed up by "non-base-clogging, swing-away, I used to play with Hank Aaron" DUHsty Baker, this is the guy I'd prefer to put in the #2 hole, from this roster, there is really nobody else.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Kepp lead the majors last year in least amount of K's per at-bats. He makes contact.

I don't have a man-crush on him. I just think we've seen a healthy Keppinger do well and a coming back from injury Keppinger struggle. Will the real Keppinger step up? I think he will.

I also think 2B is the easiest position on the field to fill. One crazy idea I heard and actually would consider is moving Phillips to LF and putting Kepp on 2B. Phillips is athletic enough to easily cover LF, and it would solve alot of problems for this club. Everyone is so eager to move EE to LF..........why not Phillips? Phillips is far more athletic than EE.

Bip Roberts
12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Kep would need to prove to me that he can hit again before I even consider playing him every day.

Hondo
12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Kepp lead the majors last year in least amount of K's per at-bats. He makes contact.

I don't have a man-crush on him. I just think we've seen a healthy Keppinger do well and a coming back from injury Keppinger struggle. Will the real Keppinger step up? I think he will.

I also think 2B is the easiest position on the field to fill. One crazy idea I heard and actually would consider is moving Phillips to LF and putting Kepp on 2B. Phillips is athletic enough to easily cover LF, and it would solve alot of problems for this club. Everyone is so eager to move EE to LF..........why not Phillips? Phillips is far more athletic than EE.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=6076

Look here Man, Thats "Real Jeff Keppinger" please stand up line is not accurate...

His .332 average was only over 67 Games and 241 AB's

So that was just 1/3 of a Season or more...

Get off this Keppinger Band Wagon... Look at his stats before and after last years (2007) fluke...

tbball10
12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Look here Man, Thats "Real Jeff Keppinger" please stand up line is not accurate...

Get off this Keppinger Band Wagon... Look at his stats before and after last years (2007) fluke...

Then add his 144 AB's before his injury in '08 and he hit .332 with 8 HR with an OBP somewhere in the .390 range (I'm not gonna do the math) in 385 AB's. If he is healthy he will produce with his bat.

Hondo
12-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Then add his 144 AB's before his injury in '08 and he hit .332 with 8 HR with an OBP somewhere in the .390 range (I'm not gonna do the math) in 385 AB's. If he is healthy he will produce with his bat.

Ok, so you're going to discount history and the fact that in 459 AB over 2008, he hit .266

in 459 AB
in 459 AB
in 459 AT BATS

just wanted to make sure you read that...

Slyder
12-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Yes the idea is crazy. The only place he ought to move is SS not the outfield. Edwin is discussed to being moved to the outfield for the same reason Chuck Knoblach, Alfonso Soriano, Ryan Braun were moved.

You move problem defenders to the OF, not great infielders to the outfield. Every case is guys who have problems on d. The only exceptions might be Shawn Dunston and Craig Biggio (he moved to make room for Kent).

So now even if Kep is above average at 2b you go from spectacular and below average at 2b and ss to Above Average and Unknown thats not how I want to see this team going.

ChatterRed
12-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Did you know Keppinger was a great hitter in college and a career .300 hitter in the minors?

Did you realize Keppinger was hurt in 2008?

ChatterRed
12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes the idea is crazy. The only place he ought to move is SS not the outfield. Edwin is discussed to being moved to the outfield for the same reason Chuck Knoblach, Alfonso Soriano, Ryan Braun were moved.

You move problem defenders to the OF, not GG infielders to the outfield. Every case is guys who have problems on d. The only exceptions might be Shawn Dunston and Craig Biggio (he moved to make room for Kent).

So now even if Kep is above average at 2b you go from spectacular to below average at 2b and ss to unknown to Above Average thats not how I want to see this team going.

You trade EE.

This is about being a small market club and using your money where you most need it. Second base is the easiest position to fill. You don't spend alot of money on that position unless it's Chase Utley.

Bip Roberts
12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I think kep is a .800 ops tops guy with a lot of line drives. I just dont think he really fits in anywhere besides maybe 2b but still I think that range is too much of a problem.

Slyder
12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
You trade EE.

This is about being a small market club and using your money where you most need it. Second base is the easiest position to fill. You don't spend alot of money on that position unless it's Chase Utley.

EE is moot, my point was bringing up players that moved to the OF after being in the Infield. Chipper Jones was move to LF to make room, then got moved back because the Braves felt 3b was less stressful for him.

You weaken your up the middle defense because we all know if its not Phillips at SS its going to be AGon and theres no way of knowing what sort of range he's going to have after missing the entire year with a knee injury. So we might still end up with a glorified Keppinger/Hairston type range at SS. I dont want to move our one unquestionable fielder to one position where defense is statistically less important. If you move Phillips to SS and give away Gonzalez you can go with the cheap vet or Keppinger. Otherwise I dont want him moved.

TheNext44
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Actually, Keppinger would be great if the Reds could find a left handed platoon mate for him. Here are is right handed career splits from baseball-reference.

.351 .403 .515 .918

Unfortunately, I really don't want to platoon at SS or 2B. A steady DP combo is too important.

Hondo
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually, Keppinger would be great if the Reds could find a left handed platoon mate for him. Here are is right handed career splits from baseball-reference.

.351 .403 .515 .918

Unfortunately, I really don't want to platoon at SS or 2B. A steady DP combo is too important.

You are correct sir... He is a part time, back up, Platoon guy...

And he may have been hurt in 2008, but in 459 AB he hit 3 Homers and hit .266

Besides his 67 AB .342 season in 2007 which was in a back up role... a few starts... etc...

Before with the Royals and Mets he was a .250-.260 hitter...

But track record doesn't mean too much to you... College and Minors always produce Hitters 100% of the time I guess...

redsfandan
12-05-2008, 01:54 PM
hey hondo, for the record, what do you expect kepp will do next year?

Hondo
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
hey hondo, for the record, what do you expect kepp will do next year?

Get about 250-300 AB Backing up 3rd, SS and 2B and hit:

.287-8-32 OBP 350 SLG 430

redsfandan
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
so not .266?

Hondo
12-05-2008, 04:05 PM
so not .266?

You're not even on the level dude...

He performs better on a part time basis... U Play him 140 Games+ over 450-500 AB and he hits in the .260's

You know it, I know it, the American people Know IT!

ChatterRed
12-06-2008, 03:38 AM
There is no proof that anything you have said is true.

Just another guy being labeled as a utility player that isn't.

There are no stats to back any of that conjecture up.

Hondo
12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
There is no proof that anything you have said is true.

Just another guy being labeled as a utility player that isn't.

There are no stats to back any of that conjecture up.

Um, Look at last year... and considering the teams situation now... Unless they sign a Furcal, Kepp will be your Starting SS and guess what... He will be a .260-.270 Hitter... He is no WORLD Beater... He is a nice versatile middle infielder that makes contact... No Power... Just a Great Guy to have filling out the Bench...

So we'll see in 2009 based on the Reds moves...

Bip Roberts
12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I think keppinger is a .280 .300 hitter with nothing but double power.

TheNext44
12-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Um, Look at last year... and considering the teams situation now... Unless they sign a Furcal, Kepp will be your Starting SS and guess what... He will be a .260-.270 Hitter... He is no WORLD Beater... He is a nice versatile middle infielder that makes contact... No Power... Just a Great Guy to have filling out the Bench...

So we'll see in 2009 based on the Reds moves...

Actually, I think Walt said that Gonzo is the Reds starting SS assuming he is healthy. If not, he said he would deal with it, but he didn't say that Kepp was the alternative, he just listed all the SS the Reds have in they system and said hopefully someone would step forward.

Still, Kepp definitely has the bat to be an everyday SS, he just doesn't have the range. If he even had league average range, his bat would be fine, if not very good. Last year was an illusion, he came back early from an injury, and tried to play when he shouldn't. There is every reason to believe that Kepp can put up .290 .350 .430 numbers as a starter, and that would be right at league average for a SS if not better.

redsfandan
12-07-2008, 08:32 AM
-Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel talked to Doug Melvin about C.C. Sabathia, who still hasn't reacted to their offer. If Sabathia and Ben Sheets leave, Melvin could add two starters. Melvin also said it'd be too risky to trade J.J. Hardy and start Alcides Escobar at short. Rickie Weeks has drawn interest, but Melvin would require "a pretty good hitter" in return. Mike Cameron is a more likely trade chip. As for the team's closer search, Melvin doesn't expect to be in on the big names.

-Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post says the Marlins probably won't steal headlines at these Winter Meetings as they did in '07. Still, Jorge Cantu, Matt Treanor, and Jeremy Hermida may be dealt. The Fish have been "actively shopping" Treanor and Hermida. The Marlins have mild interest in free agents Ivan Rodriguez and Carl Pavano.

looks like hardy isn't available right now. at least not publicly. hermida would be another option for left i'd be ok with for the right price.

SarasotaFan
12-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Get off this Keppinger Band Wagon... Look at his stats before and after last years (2007) fluke...that's half a season. that's a fluke ?

he dominates the minors and with Los Mets & KC he never got consistent playing time when he got called up.

SarasotaFan
12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
You are correct sir... He is a part time, back up, Platoon guy...

And he may have been hurt in 2008, but in 459 AB he hit 3 Homers and hit .266

Besides his 67 AB .342 season in 2007 which was in a back up role... a few starts... etc...

Before with the Royals and Mets he was a .250-.260 hitter...

But track record doesn't mean too much to you... College and Minors always produce Hitters 100% of the time I guess...
67 AB's ?? you might want to learn how to read the stats. it's 67 Games. he was called up to back up and took over due to injury - played everyday.

you're not gonna get homers out him cause he's not a power guy. with a bum knee like he had in 08 it's kinda hard to get your swing right

SarasotaFan
12-07-2008, 09:08 AM

NO THANKS
Below average RF with a lot of pop and RBI's to come with ? i'd take that for a couple of years. what you think Dunn was ? Griffey wasn't the slickest outfielder either cause of his age.

the change of scenery would probably do Homer some good

redsfandan
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Raul Ibanez To Decline Arbitration
By Nat Boyle [December 7 at 10:24am CST]
Raul Ibanez will decline arbitration today, according to Larry LaRue of the Tacoma News Tribune blog. Says LaRue,

"The Phillies, Cubs, Mets, Rays, Yankees and a half-dozen other teams are pursuing Ibanez, who last year made $5.5 million. He wants a multi-year contract, and the Mariners weren’t in position to offer him one."

LaRue praises Ibanez for his work ethic and propensity to challenge, in a positive way, both young and veteran players in the clubhouse.

Olney's Latest: Winter Meetings
By Nat Boyle [December 7 at 10:17am CST]
As we wait for arbitration decisions, Buster Olney offers his latest on the winter meetings:

-CC Sabathia, who will be sitting down with the Red Sox and Yankees today or tomorrow, may want to wait for Mark Teixeira to sign first. If the Angels don't land Sabathia, they could be expected to compete with the Yankees $140MM offer.
-Francisco Rodriguez is not going to get the 5 year, $75MM originally anticipated by his agents and he may find it in his best interest to seek a 3 year deal, and re-enter free agency, perhaps in a better market, before he turns 30.
-Says Olney, "Look, [Jake] Peavy is going to be traded, and what will be left is a team looking at a long rebuilding process."
-The Nats are courting Adam Dunn as well as Teixeira, pointing out that Jim Bowden ran the Reds when they drafted Dunn. No word on Dunn's interest in Washington.
-Sources say the White Sox moving Jermaine Dye is "overblown." He'll cost $11.5MM next year with a $1MM buyout for 2010 and teams in need of a corner outfielder can target Dunn or Bobby Abreu rather than give up prospects to the White Sox.
-Orlando Cabrera has been made aware that Alexei Ramirez is the starting shortstop in 2009 and, for that reason, OC is expected to decline arbitration even in a depressed shortstop market.

redsfanmia
12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Dunn would be a great fit in Washington, he could hit his 40 hrs a year, get paid and lose 90+ games.

schmidty622
12-07-2008, 01:44 PM
-Orlando Cabrera has been made aware that Alexei Ramirez is the starting shortstop in 2009 and, for that reason, OC is expected to decline arbitration even in a depressed shortstop market.

As bad as the shortstop market is looking, I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign a guy like Cabrera for something like 15 mill over 2 years. He'd be a good #2 hitter and could bridge the gap until other options from within the system are ready.

schmidty622
12-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Actually, I take that back, I thought he was younger than 34. For a shortstop thats too old in my book.

BEETTLEBUG
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
That may sound like an idea but would it take 15mil for two years? Also saw on ORG that Rohdes said it would be nice to pitch in St. Louis but was leaning toward Reds cause of improved Bid.

ChatterRed
12-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Dunn would be a great fit in Washington, he could hit his 40 hrs a year, get paid and lose 90+ games.

:beerme: :D

TC81190
12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
With all those names going around, I'd take a look at Hermida and Cameron. Looks like we could get Furcal now too if we wanted him with the A's dropping their offer and the Giants signing Renteria.

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 01:12 PM
am i the only one confused by this?:

Mets Interested In Juan Pierre
By Tim Dierkes [December 10 at 11:59am CST]
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Mets have shown interest in Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre. Pierre's has another $28.5MM on his deal, which runs through 2011. The Dodgers would need to take on "a large chunk" of that.

Old NDN
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
If I'm in the Reds' front office, I would want a more detailed, straight-forward answer on the exact condition of AGon. Everything you read points to vagueness. There's a lot of money tied up in him and I would want some accountability. It sure creates a lot of uncertainty in trying to fix problem positions.

Lockdwn11
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
If I'm in the Reds' front office, I would want a more detailed, straight-forward answer on the exact condition of AGon. Everything you read points to vagueness. There's a lot of money tied up in him and I would want some accountability. It sure creates a lot of uncertainty in trying to fix problem positions.

I'm sure they know more then they are letting out.

redsfandan
12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Felipe Lopez Signs With Diamondbacks
By Tim Dierkes [December 11 at 8:35am CST]
According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, the Diamondbacks agreed to a one-year, $3.5MM deal with infielder Felipe Lopez. It's a quality move with upside. We knew Arizona had made an offer, but it seemed that Lopez (a Boras client) was seeking multiple yeares.