PDA

View Full Version : Dexter

WMR
11-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Who else is watching Dexter?

Best show on television right now, IMO.

Dom Heffner
11-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh gosh. Don't hate me, but I gave up watching this after a few episodes.

People who kill people should not be made into lead characters. Color me naive, but I want to root for characters that aren't, you know, murderers.

It's as if the people who pitched this show were like, "But the people he kills deserve to die."

And the TX exec said, "Oh, well, in that case..."

Razor Shines
11-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Well since "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is done for the season you might be right. I need to catch up on season 3, I've got the last 4 or 5 on my DVR that I need to watch.

Reds Fanatic
12-01-2008, 12:16 AM

Excellent show. I did not think they could top last year but after tonight's episode looks like they are building to a great finish with 2 shows left this season.

Patrick Bateman
12-01-2008, 12:51 AM
The first season was fantastic. The second season was a let down.

The Third season? This has been an absolute bounceback season. It's been fresh and incredibly entertaining. Easily the best show on right now.

Redsfaithful
12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah I'd probably give it the best show on TV nod, probably ever since The Wire went finished up.

Jimmy Smits has been awesome this season.

Jack Burton
12-01-2008, 08:48 PM
The first season was fantastic. The second season was a let down.

The Third season? This has been an absolute bounceback season. It's been fresh and incredibly entertaining. Easily the best show on right now.

Agreed. I wasn't too excited for this season but have been pleasantly surprised. The last two episodes should be explosive.

NatiRedGals
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Serial killer Dexter Morgan will have a new source of inspiration and obsession in the next season of Dexter, and it's a two-time Academy Award nominee. John Lithgow, star of 3rd Rock From the Sun, has been cast as a legendary serial killer that moves to Miami in Dexter's fourth season, according to the network.

Showtime says Lithgow, who received back-to-back Oscar nominations for The World According to Garp and Terms of Endearment in the 1980s, has been cast as "The Trinity Killer," a seemingly normal man who just happens to be one of the country's longest tenured serial killers. Dexter returns in late September, and Lithgow will be featured in all 12 episodes.

http://www.tv.com/story/15128.html?tag=news_list;title;1

pedro
05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Serial killer Dexter Morgan will have a new source of inspiration and obsession in the next season of Dexter, and it's a two-time Academy Award nominee. John Lithgow, star of 3rd Rock From the Sun, has been cast as a legendary serial killer that moves to Miami in Dexter's fourth season, according to the network.

Showtime says Lithgow, who received back-to-back Oscar nominations for The World According to Garp and Terms of Endearment in the 1980s, has been cast as "The Trinity Killer," a seemingly normal man who just happens to be one of the country's longest tenured serial killers. Dexter returns in late September, and Lithgow will be featured in all 12 episodes.

http://www.tv.com/story/15128.html?tag=news_list;title;1

Nice! Dexter is one of my favorite shows.

Unassisted
05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm one disc away from being done with Season 2 on DVD. Glad to hear that Season 3 will be worth the wait until it's released.

WMR
05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
John Lithgow, holy crap, that will be awesome. Has anyone seen "Raising Cain"? He does a spectacular job as a killer with multiple personality disorder.

pedro
05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
John Lithgow, holy crap, that will be awesome. Has anyone seen "Raising Cain"? He does a spectacular job as a killer with multiple personality disorder.

No but I did see Buckaroo Banzai

missionhockey21
05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
No but I did see Buckaroo Banzai

One of my most prized DVD's. :beerme:

Oh and this is great news (Lithgow casting.)

thatcoolguy_22
06-03-2009, 04:10 AM
The only Dexter I will watch involves working in a labratory...

http://www.cartoon-secrets.com/Photos/Dexter_Poster.jpg

Razor Shines
06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
:laugh:^This is the first time I've seen that sig line. "Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing here today? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot."

TheBigLebowski
06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
John Lithgow - awesome!

wolfboy
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.justnews.com/news/19644307/detail.html

NatiRedGals
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.justnews.com/news/19644307/detail.html

Sad but just wow... Very interesting. Hopefully the books can help solve the murder.:confused:

BoydsOfSummer
06-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Had to see what the hype was about so I snagged the three seasons. Just finished episode one of season three. Very entertaining show. I think I'm in love with Rita. Also snagged two seasons of 'Brotherhood' and 'Weeds' whilst I was at it. I'm really interested in watching Brotherhood.

freestyle55
09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Just a reminder, Dexter starts again tonight at 9:00 pm EST. I signed up for Showtime yesterday just for this show (watched the first 3 seasons on DVD), can't wait to see how Dexter battles fatherhood and the Trinity Killer!

freestyle55
12-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh.my.god....

Season finale was amazing...this season has been my favorite by far...

John Lithgow, Michael C. Hall, and Jennifer Carpenter all deserve awards for their performances this season...

GIDP
12-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh.my.god....

Season finale was amazing...this season has been my favorite by far...

John Lithgow, Michael C. Hall, and Jennifer Carpenter all deserve awards for their performances this season...
The ending was UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

I cant believe it ended that way. I mean WAT. I cant seriously believe that happened.

freestyle55
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
The ending was UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

I cant believe it ended that way. I mean WAT. I cant seriously believe that happened.

Options for next season are completely through the roof...they could take this in any possible direction and I don't think it would be too strange...

GIDP
12-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Options for next season are completely through the roof...they could take this in any possible direction and I don't think it would be too strange...

Yea they pretty much took dynamite to it and now we are stuck sitting there waiting.

I still cant believe it.

dougdirt
12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea they pretty much took dynamite to it and now we are stuck sitting there waiting.

I still cant believe it.

I finally caught up last night. I think I bruised my chin from it hitting the floor. I did NOT see that coming.

Redsfaithful
12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I actually thought this season was pretty terrible, and I'm not sure I'll bother in the future.

All of the Laguerta relationship crap was god awful boring, and the rest of the show kind of turned into a bad guy of the week CSI type show, and there's a reason I don't watch those.

The ending was interesting I guess, it just didn't feel earned after the rest of the season.

The sad thing is that Dexter is still better than the vast majority of what's on television, I'm just disappointed it's strayed so much from the first season. There's not even anything sociopathic about the guy anymore now that they've made him have feelings like normal people, and without that hook it's just not as interesting.

Lithgow was great though, and I agree that the acting on the show is pretty good, I just wish the material hadn't gone downhill.

vaticanplum
12-14-2009, 05:05 PM
The sad thing is that Dexter is still better than the vast majority of what's on television, I'm just disappointed it's strayed so much from the first season. There's not even anything sociopathic about the guy anymore now that they've made him have feelings like normal people, and without that hook it's just not as interesting.

Lithgow was great though, and I agree that the acting on the show is pretty good, I just wish the material hadn't gone downhill.

Isn't that the whole point, though? If he was just a sociopath who continued to feel nothing, we'd just be witnessing him trying not to get caught season in and season out. That would get old. I think his personal trajectory is what makes it so interesting and, at times, heartbreaking.

I thought this season was uneven, but that last episode about killed me, and not just because of the ending. This is a character who WANTS to be something better than what he is, and everything falls into place enough that we start to believe it's going to be an option for him. Then, pow, no, it's not. The ending poses some very serious, unanswerable questions about how much in control we are of our own lives, how our choices affect others, how others' choices affect us, how we can be ourselves if it stands in contrast to the best interests of those we love, whether fate exists and whether we can escape it. To me it pulled together the entire season (which is something the series does so well...they MUST write the entire season out before they even film the first episode). And beyond that, in fact, it stays true to the seminal question of the entire series, which is whether he truly is an innate monster who can't control himself or whether he became that way because his father told him he was.

I don't think the series has strayed from its roots; I think those have been the questions all along. We just had to get to know him as a killer before we got to know him as a person for the sake of dramatic interest. I am dying to see what happens from here on. I have to think that a lot of the work that has been done on making him a connected human being is now totally undone. And on top of that, he's going to be angry, which is a place he's never been working from before.

Redsfaithful
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from and I respect that viewpoint, I just think if he becomes normal it becomes a paint by number police procedural (he just happens to kill the criminals he catches instead of locking them up) instead of something I'd find interesting. The show's pretty formulaic at this point (one "Big Bad" per season, lesser criminals along the way) and it didn't start off that way. I think you're giving the writers too much credit as well, I read today they didn't decide to kill off Rita until late in the season.

I will say the ending has allowed for the possibility that the show could become interesting again, but I dunno. I think Michael C Hall is tremendous so I imagine I'll watch until the show is finished, I just wish it'd add up to more.

freestyle55
12-14-2009, 10:44 PM
It did and it didn't start that way...there was a "big bad" in the first season, the Ice Truck Killer (aka Brian Moser) and several smaller bad guys, but they were also working somewhat from the book. They haven't really followed any of the subsequent books, so they've expanded from what it originally was.

I have to agree with Vaticanplum, Dexter's path towards any semblance of normalcy is what makes it interesting to me. Otherwise, how can you just root for a guy who kills for the sake of killing. Granted it's scum he's killing, but it's hard to room for someone who has no emotion...with Rita and the kids, you could definitely see him realizing that maybe he's not what Harry had drilled into him, maybe he could change...but all that is quickly swirling down the drain, it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Redsfaithful
12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I wasn't really rooting for Dexter in the first season, I think that was part of the point and what made the show interesting. It was pretty morally interesting and very unique to have the protagonist be someone who is basically insane but able to keep it in check because he followed a code his father laid down to keep him safe.

If he's normal it's just a CSI where they kill people instead of locking them up.

dougdirt
12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I wasn't really rooting for Dexter in the first season, I think that was part of the point and what made the show interesting. It was pretty morally interesting and very unique to have the protagonist be someone who is basically insane but able to keep it in check because he followed a code his father laid down to keep him safe.

If he's normal it's just a CSI where they kill people instead of locking them up.

Not quite. CSI is a team full of investigators. Dexter is a lone wolf doing it all by himself, risking everything to do it because of 'the darkness within'.

WMR
12-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Okay, I liked the most recent season well enough I guess, but the ending was just dumb...

SPOILERS..................................

Jordan Chase would never have put himself in such a vulnerable position. The dude has 4 bodyguards with him at all time and untold millions but he's going to try and finish Dexter and Lumen off by himself? No way.

The other thing that stuck out was allowing Dexter to perform the blood analysis on the drop of blood on Quinn's shoe. The mere fact that Dexter's sister is his partner would preclude Dexter from participating in any sort of investigation/test involving Quinn... not to mention the fact that it was common knowledge around the station that his sister and Quinn had a relationship that extended beyond being just partners. Just wouldn't happen.

I still really like the show overall, but the last episode was pretty weak, IMO.

Homer Bailey
12-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Okay, I liked the most recent season well enough I guess, but the ending was just dumb...

SPOILERS..................................

Jordan Chase would never have put himself in such a vulnerable position. The dude has 4 bodyguards with him at all time and untold millions but he's going to try and finish Dexter and Lumen off by himself? No way.

The other thing that stuck out was allowing Dexter to perform the blood analysis on the drop of blood on Quinn's shoe. The mere fact that Dexter's sister is his partner would preclude Dexter from participating in any sort of investigation/test involving Quinn... not to mention the fact that it was common knowledge around the station that his sister and Quinn had a relationship that extended beyond being just partners. Just wouldn't happen.

I still really like the show overall, but the last episode was pretty weak, IMO.

Here is my rant that I emailed a buddy this week:

Dude, I gotta say, EXTREMELY disappointed in the finale. I thought that was a very, very lazy effort, and nothing significant happened at all.

I don’t even have the time to rant about everything, but to name a few….

How the heck is the barrel girl case solved? Seriously?

Quinn has to know Dexter killed Liddy right…. So he just lets it slide because Dexter “fixed” the blood sample? THAT’S THE END OF THE LIDDY INVESTIGATION??? No way! Liddy’s last 5 calls were to Quinn…. They would have investigated the crap out of him, he would have had to give up the name of the person he hired Liddy to spy on, and Dexter would have been caught. I thought for sure Quinn was going to die, because that is the only way to avoid that conundrum.

Lumen just leaves? She’s done? She murders 3 people, and she just goes back to her regular life? That’s a lazy casting influenced decision there….. Clearly Julia Stiles wasn’t coming back for another season… they should have killed her off…. Unless of course they plan on bringing her back in the future….. Ok I changed my mind on this one….. nice job leaving this potential plot point open.

How the hell did Deb “Call this in?” What did she call in? Clearly Dex and Lumen took Jordan’s body…. So what does Deb say that she saw? How do they explain the car crashed on the property?

Here’s what I thought should have happened… DEB NEEDED TO FIND OUT. The show already clearly surpasses any sense of reality, and has for several years. They can’t go on forever with the same kind of plots, and no one finding out. Stuff has to hit the fan eventually. The show can’t have that many years left. They should have blown it up in the finale. Deb finding out, Quinn getting killed, something happening to one of LaGuerta/Batista. Maybe it was too cliché to end on another cliffhanger, but my god, how do you end season 4 the way you did, then end season 5 with everything all good?

Am I reading too much into it by replaying Debra saying to Dex something along the lines of “You’ve gotta be glad this is all over?” Is that a hint that she knows?

WMR
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I think she knows judging by that last statement in the finale.