PDA

View Full Version : Dusty wants Wood

HalMorrisRules
12-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Dusty plans to call Kerry Wood (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae332a120-3823-4784-b955-3415ed83517e&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

Dusty thinks Kerry Wood might want to come to Cincy. I wonder if Wood lets the call go to voicemail?

JayBruceFan
12-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Best Thread Title Ever

Just had to be the one to say it

12-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Best Thread Title Ever

Just had to be the one to say it

LMAO. :laugh:

Actually, if the Reds do sign Wood and the post title is "Dusty Gets Wood" that might be just a little bit better, maybe. But great catch.

12-02-2008, 03:00 AM
On a serious note, it will take a lot of money to get Wood to be a set up man, plus there a lot of teams needing a closer and he is one of the best ones out there, so I doubt the Reds sign him.

But if they do....

9th - Cordero
8th - Wood
7th - Burton
6th - Bray

It would be like the Nasty Boys again. The Reds could have an average offense and easily contend with that bullpen in addition to the rotation.

Atlas Jobinson
12-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Relievers are the most fungible asset in the game. We already made one colossal mistake in signing Cordero. Why do it again with an injury-prone setup guy?

Use guys from within and sign some minor-league free agents to solidify the bullpen. Our money is much more well-spent trying to improve our outfield situation.

schmidty622
12-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Relievers are the most fungible asset in the game. We already made one colossal mistake in signing Cordero. Why do it again with an injury-prone setup guy?

Use guys from within and sign some minor-league free agents to solidify the bullpen. Our money is much more well-spent trying to improve our outfield situation.

:thumbup:

redsfandan
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
i'd be surprised if dusty could convince wood to take less to be a red. but i couldn't complain if he did. he seems to be safer since he converted to relief. imo, with 3 open bullpen spots one spot should be reserved for a solid veteran reliever and another spot should be reserved for one of our own (roenicke, ramirez, etc). i wouldn't want all 3 to have very limited, or no, experience in the majors.

IowaRed
12-02-2008, 08:31 AM

amen, plus if Dusty REALLY wants him then that confirms it's a bad idea

ChatterRed
12-02-2008, 09:12 AM
On the other hand, if the Reds sign Wood, and head into the All-Star break out of contention, and both Wood and Cordero are doing well, the trade offers will definitely be there.

The Reds would give Wood a chance for revenge against his old team, too.

CySeymour
12-02-2008, 11:28 AM
LMAO. :laugh:

Actually, if the Reds do sign Wood and the post title is "Dusty Gets Wood" that might be just a little bit better, maybe. But great catch.

So Dusty will then have Dick Pole and Wood? Hmmm

Slyder
12-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Dusty wants to finish the job he started in Chitown. Unfortunately Prior will never come east again probably so this is the second prize ;).

CesarGeronimo
12-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Are there any players Dusty wants besides former Cubs?

Orodle
12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Dusty wants to finish the job he started in Chitown. Unfortunately Prior will never come east again probably so this is the second prize ;).

Wood's & Priors arm trouble began before Dusty was in town....you watch too much ESPN.

I would welcome Kerry Wood to Cincy...but would he be happy with not being the closer? Or hey stick him in the rotation...good gamble for a 5th starter!

Slyder
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Wood's & Priors arm trouble began before Dusty was in town....you watch too much ESPN.

I would welcome Kerry Wood to Cincy...but would he be happy with not being the closer? Or hey stick him in the rotation...good gamble for a 5th starter!

Its called sarcasm. Yes I know Woods and especially Prior's arm problems were a culmination of everything before and to that point. The one reason I dont want Wood is the exact reason you stated above, Duhhhsty would try and shoe horn him back into the rotation and watch as Wood's arm explodes again. Then the Reds are stuck with probably a 3 yr deal for 5-10 per for a handful of starts and more DL time than Albert Belle, Griffey, and Prior together.

Bip Roberts
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm sure he does

Ghosts of 1990
12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Where would he fit in?

Bip Roberts
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Dusty could fit Wood in somewhere probably

Ghosts of 1990
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I guess you can never have too many fireballers out of the bullpen.

Dunnateher
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
bullpen comes from within, we need a big RH bat, a young defensive SS, and a ph/reserve catcher woods are
scarce but you can't hold a lead when behind

David Cubbedge
12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
If Dusty wants him, consider it done. Remember Patterson? Money will be no object as long as they get him signed. Or, did the FO learn their lesson?

12-02-2008, 04:23 PM

I agree that Cordero's signing was a mistake, I said as much before and when he was signed, but it was not a colossal mistake. Basically signing him was was not the reason why the Reds missed the playoffs and his contract really is not hindering any attempts to improve the team.

Also, I agree that middle relievers are "the most fungible asset" on a team, but end of the game relievers are not. Good closers and set up men are hard to find, and ones has good as Woods are even harder. There were only 7 relievers in MLB last year, and only two in the NL that had Wood's trifecta of numbers:

A WHIP below 1.10
More K's than IP
less than 5 homers allowed

They were

Billy Wagner
Matt Capps
Jonathan Paplebon
Mariano Rivera
Matt Thorton
Joe Nathan
Joey Devine

The big problem with all relievers is that most of them are good for only a few years, so acquiring them after even just one good year is very risky. You are absolutely correct that smart franchises build their bullpens from within.

As I said, I doubt the Reds can sign Woods for a short contract to be the set up man, but if they could, he would be worth it.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Is this the 1st time anyone on RZ has used the word fungible?

Emin3mShady07
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Wood just seems like a waste of money to me, he has to be seeking closer money which is about 8 million or more per year, I can't see the reds handing out that kind of money when they have other glaring needs like SS and LF. I'll pass on Wood, not because he is bad, but because I don't see how the ends will ever justify the means. If he would come for cheap, then great, but i doubt that happens

Atlas Jobinson
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I agree the Cordero signing was not why we lost last year. It's just that his contract is going to be an albatross on our payroll for the next three years, and I just don't see us making that type of commitment again. Wood could maybe be solid on a short-term deal, but given his injury history, his likely price, and his lack of a role on the Reds, it's not a good idea.

indyredleg
12-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Wood is a solid closer from what we have seen, and yes the arm issues are well documented...if you keep him in a closer role he can be very effective.

He won't come though, I have heard that he is looking to go to the Rangers.

Hondo
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Wood will probably want 10 Million... If you were going to do that, why not go for K-Rod and have the best 1-2 Punch in the Majors...

No to Wood...

Steviejoe
12-03-2008, 01:28 AM
I would like to see Mr.Wood in the eighth inning,but would you sign as a set up man,if you knew you could be a closer somewhere.Friends is friends,but baseball is buisness.By the way,the last friend of Dusty to show up,was not that great.Remember a guy named Patterson.

redsfandan
12-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Wood is a solid closer from what we have seen, and yes the arm issues are well documented...if you keep him in a closer role he can be very effective.

He won't come though, I have heard that he is looking to go to the Rangers.

texas is a real possibility and a natural fit since he's from texas and they want to improve their bullpen.

Wood will probably want 10 Million... If you were going to do that, why not go for K-Rod and have the best 1-2 Punch in the Majors...

No to Wood...

i think wood may look like a more attractive option to teams now. he'll be cheaper than either Francisco Rodriguez or Brian Fuentes and now he also won't cost a pick like them either. it could be a win-win deal. the team could end up with a relative bargain and wood could boost his stock so when the economy starts to recover he could land a bigger deal.

NeilHamburger
12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
From Fays blog Jocketty pretty much just shot down any chance of Wood coming here, saying with Cordero the Reds don't need a closer, and that Wood will get the opportunity and closer money somewhere else.