PDA

View Full Version : What kind of / How much dairy do you/your family use?

WMR
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm a huge skim milk guy. Probably drink a little over a gallon of skim milk a week.

Also love cottage cheese.

Red in Chicago
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm a huge skim milk guy. Probably drink a little over a gallon of skim milk a week.

Also love cottage cheese.

I only drink soy milk, but eat cheese everyday. Typically, a few slices of mozzarella or a couple of scoops of cottage cheese with dinner. Provolone, cheddar, asiago, fontina and parmigiano also come into play quite a bit.

Cream cheese, ricotta and mascarpone for when you need the sweet dessert cheeses.

If it weren't for cheese and cashews, I'd probably weigh 15 lbs less than I do now.

Raisor
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I usually have a 16 oz skim milk every morning, with two shots of espresso. And vanilla. And NO FOAM.

NONE.

WMR
12-03-2008, 11:37 PM
I only drink soy milk, but eat cheese everyday. Typically, a few slices of mozzarella or a couple of scoops of cottage cheese with dinner. Provolone, cheddar, asiago, fontina and parmigiano also come into play quite a bit.

Cream cheese, ricotta and mascarpone for when you need the sweet dessert cheeses.

If it weren't for cheese and cashews, I'd probably weigh 15 lbs less than I do now.

YOU ARE A CHEESE AFICIONADO!! :D

*BaseClogger*
12-03-2008, 11:53 PM
You guys got 1/2% milk? That was our stuff...

pahster
12-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I drink about 2 gallons of 1% a week. I drink it like most people drink pop.

Emin3mShady07
12-04-2008, 12:20 AM

Soda? ;)

I drink about 80 oz of 2 % milk a day which is about 4.5 gallons per week.

pahster
12-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Soda? ;)

I drink about 80 oz of 2 % milk a day which is about 4.5 gallons per week.

I'm from Ohio. It's "pop" there. I get soda; it makes sense, but I don't say it. I live in the North Carolina now and I will never understand calling pop/soda "coke."

KronoRed
12-04-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm from Ohio. It's "pop" there. I get soda; it makes sense, but I don't say it. I live in the North Carolina now and I will never understand calling pop/soda "coke."

Those people frighten me.

"I'll have a coke"
"What kind?"
:confused:

Cyclone792
12-04-2008, 07:28 AM
I drink 2 percent reduced fat milk, typically one to two gallons per week. I also like most cheese, with mozzarella, jack, provolone, and cheddar being some of my favorites. Interestingly, while I don't mind american cheese, it's probably one of my least favorites.

As for pop/soda/coke, it's pop here. And below is where it is everywhere:

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/popvssodamap.gif

Ltlabner
12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
A little skim milk on breakfast ceral.

Occasonal chochlate milk.

Cheese......yes. On everything. Not a big fan of Swiss but pretty much everything else is groovy.

Oh yea. It's Soda. Or Pop. Maybe even Soda-Pop. The only thing that is Coke is...well....a product from the Coca-Cola Company.

TRF
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Ice Cream, half a gallon a week. Blue Bell when it's on sale, and Wal-Mart new All-Natural(whatever) Blueberry/Pomegranate Ice Cream. That stuff is like crack.

Also Fat Free milk, and lots of shredded cheddar cheese.

M2
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I drink about 2 gallons of 1% a week.

Same here. Bowl of cereal every morning, heavy on the milk. Another glass or two during the day.

Beyond that, I eat a bit of cheese and yogurt every week too.

Roy Tucker
12-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Mark me up for the gallon or 2 per week. Milk on my morning Cheerios, a glass of milk before bed, and sometimes one with dinner. Yogurt for lunch sometimes.

My wife and 2 daughters *love* ice cream so there is usually a gallon or so in the freezer. I try to limit myself to 1-2 bowls a week. Although with the holidays here and peppermint stick ice cream abounding, I've been backsliding.

I think we end up buying at least 3-4 gallons of milk a week because my son drinks the stuff like its going out of style. I've often said we need to buy a cow.

RANDY IN INDY
12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
My family goes through at least 4 gallons of skim milk a week. My son loves it and drinks it with every meal. He usually has a large glass most every day when he gets home from school and before he goes to bed. My wife and I are also milk drinkers and we eat a lot of cereal. We don't buy pop and only have it in the house on limited occasions, usually when we have company.

Chip R
12-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I use about a half gallon of 1% every week - usually for my cereal. I also have yougurt for breakfast and sometimes a snack and a slice of cheese with my lunch.

westofyou
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
yogurt/cheese (my staple) and cream for the coffee. I haven't drank a glass of milk in 25 years, it's foul.

TRF
12-04-2008, 12:46 PM
yogurt/cheese (my staple) and cream for the coffee. I haven't drank a glass of milk in 25 years, it's foul.

milk is foul, but yogurt is ok?

i loathe yogurt.

westofyou
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM

i loathe yogurt.

Yep, yogurt can make sauces for savory meals too, replaces milk with granola, it carries fruit well too.

Milk is for babies.

acredsfan
12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I drink 1.5-2 gallons of whole milk (vitamin d) a week by myself. I love all kinds of dairy products. I can't stand skim or 1% milk, it is way too watered down. I tried to switch because my girlfriend drinks it, but I just can't.

TRF
12-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Yep, yogurt can make sauces for savory meals too, replaces milk with granola, it carries fruit well too.

Milk is for babies.

And indy car drivers.

TRF
12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I drink 1.5-2 gallons of whole milk (vitamin d) a week by myself. I love all kinds of dairy products. I can't stand skim or 1% milk, it is way too watered down. I tried to switch because my girlfriend drinks it, but I just can't.

takes about 6 months to convert, but once you do you'll find whole milk is too "slick".

RANDY IN INDY
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Milk is for babies.

And Hall of Famers

http://autographsforsale.com/calriau8xbao.html

M2
12-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Milk is for babies.

And mammals.

And people of northern European descent (because without dairy no one would have ever been able to settle in northern climes).

And people who like milk.

westofyou
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
And mammals.

And people of northern European descent (because without dairy no one would have ever been able to settle in northern climes).

And people who like milk.

I get the milk thing, I was the kid who had the gallon jug on the floor next to my chair when I was growing up, can't stomach the stuff myself anymore. But hey don't listen to me I quit eating meat because chewing it revolted me too.

12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
And indy car drivers.

I've run the Indianapolis Life Mini-Marathon a couple of times. It is on the pro circuit with the best half-marathoners around. The race is part of the Indy 500 celebration, so the winner has to drink a celebratory slug of milk after winning. I don't know how they do it.

12-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Barnaby Jones was a man's milk drinker.:)

http://www.kfcplainfield.com/tv/barnaby0.jpg

Unassisted
12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
The only milk at our house is skim and lowfat or fat-free chocolate.

I put milk on cereal and strawberry shortcake or drink it occasionally to cut the sting of hot peppers. I have cottage cheese about twice a year to remind myself I don't like it. There aren't many other cheeses I don't like.

Mrs. U drinks a big glass of milk daily and enjoys anything dairy except sour cream.

One of my kids will only put chocolate milk on cereal and will not drink chocolate milk or any other milk by itself. He will drink the occasional glass of liquid yogurt. The only cheeses he will eat willingly are cottage and mozzarella.

My other kid drinks milk a few times a week, loves yogurt and consumes sharp cheddar slices about as fast as most people consume napkins. He shares my dislike of cottage cheese and won't touch individually wrapped cheese slices.

We all like ice cream, but I don't buy it very often. Nobody but me will eat sherbet at my house. If I buy that, I get it all to myself. :D

SunDeck
12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
We eat lots of cheese.

I say, "Blessed are the Cheesemakers."

Sea Ray
12-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I generally have a yogurt every day but that's it. I don't think humans need to "nurse" their entire life.

Roy Tucker
12-04-2008, 04:18 PM
We eat lots of cheese.

I say, "Blessed are the Cheesemakers."

We do too.

My son can plow through a *big* block of Tillamook’s extra sharp white cheddar from Costco in about 2-3 days. I think its 2 lbs. but may be more. The boy likes his cheese.

AccordinglyReds
12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
-Fat free yogurt x4/week
-Skim milk, gallon/week

WMR
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I generally have a yogurt every day but that's it. I don't think humans need to "nurse" their entire life.

What do you think yogurt is made out of? MILK.

You're nursing too. Just with a spoon instead of slurping it down with a glass.

TylerScottDavis
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Haha, you're all light-weights :) Minimum of 1 gallon whole milk per day for me alone. Whole family puts away about 9 gallons a week. Drank skim for the last 15 years but purposely forced a switch to whole milk + the 1 gallon a day regimen to help gain weight while working out. I've gained 40 pounds in the last 18 months. We also go through tons of cheese and yogurt. :thumbup:

Sea Ray
12-04-2008, 06:15 PM
What do you think yogurt is made out of? MILK.

You're nursing too. Just with a spoon instead of slurping it down with a glass.

Did I say I never had milk in anything? There's lots of things that have milk in it. Don't you think I knew that since I included yogurt as an answer to this question? :rolleyes:

*BaseClogger*
12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Mrs. U drinks a big glass of milk daily and enjoys anything dairy except sour cream.

That reminds me. Sour cream, mayonnaise, and ranch = :barf:

bucksfan
12-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I was never a huge milk fan. My wife and daughter drink skim milk 2xday though. We all love cheese. I am a big Tillamook country extra sharp cheddar guy!

LawFive
12-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Skim for me...I switched from 2& a few years ago. It does take some getting used to but now even 2% is too thick.

Sometimes I drink 1/2 gallon in a day, other times I'm throwing some away because it went bad.

GAC
12-04-2008, 10:20 PM

We're a 2% milk family. But we go through about 3 gallons/week. I love milk!

Emin3mShady07
12-04-2008, 10:52 PM
That reminds me. Sour cream, mayonnaise, and ranch = :barf:

Sour cream is excellent, especially with baked potatoes and nachos.
Ranch is average to below average and typically bad for you.*
Mayonnaise is awful and I hate it. Then Rex grossman talked about how he always needed Mayo on his sandwiches so that was the tipping point for me and I knew liking Mayo would send me to hell.

* I know sour cream isn't exactly good for you either but I like the way it tastes whereas I do not enjoy ranch.

LoganBuck
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Glad to hear about the consumption! As resident dairy farmer, I don't typically drink my own product, we buy ours at the store. The fat% of our milk runs around 4%. I would weigh two metric tons if I drank it all the time. It is great for soups and recipes, though.

I would like to give a plug to two Farmstead cheese makers that I have met. Their cheese is top notch. Give it a try. (Warning: It can be a bit pricey!)

http://www.bravofarms.com/ their special reserve white cheddar, and chipotle cheddar are to die for.
http://www.oakvalecheese.com/ known for their Gouda produced near London, Ohio.

LoganBuck
12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Sour cream is excellent, especially with baked potatoes and nachos.
Ranch is average to below average and typically bad for you.*
Mayonnaise is awful and I hate it. Then Rex grossman talked about how he always needed Mayo on his sandwiches so that was the tipping point for me and I knew liking Mayo would send me to hell.

* I know sour cream isn't exactly good for you either but I like the way it tastes whereas I do not enjoy ranch.

Ranch and Mayo aren't dairy products. They are mostly a combination of vegetable oil and assorted crud. Sure they may have some whey or MPC but they don't really count.

Kind of like American Cheese, it isn't really cheese anymore, It is processed cheese food. Most manufacturers of American Cheese slices are no longer Real Seal certified. It is the same reason that I won't buy or consume Kraft "cheese". Their "cheese" products are not necessarily made with American milk, produced under American rules and regulations. They buy imported MPC (Milk Protein Concentrate) to produce "cheese". When in doubt buy the store brands they are typically a superior product, produced with American milk. Take a look at the packages and ingredients next time you are in the store.

vaticanplum
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM

i loathe yogurt.

Have you had real yogurt? Dannon, yoplait, that's not real yogurt to me. If your spoon stands up, then it's yogurt.

That's a food I'm a little fussy about. I see people with their key lime mixed berry runny curdled milk jelly thing and I don't know how they stomach it. Real yogurt is so rich that it's hard to finish a single-serving container of it in one sitting. There is no such thing as low-fat or fat-free yogurt. I don't know what that food product is, but it ain't yogurt.

Bizarrely, I drink skim milk, but I drink a fair amount of it. I probably have too much dairy in my diet, actually.

TRF
12-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Have you had real yogurt? Dannon, yoplait, that's not real yogurt to me. If your spoon stands up, then it's yogurt.

That's a food I'm a little fussy about. I see people with their key lime mixed berry runny curdled milk jelly thing and I don't know how they stomach it. Real yogurt is so rich that it's hard to finish a single-serving container of it in one sitting. There is no such thing as low-fat or fat-free yogurt. I don't know what that food product is, but it ain't yogurt.

Bizarrely, I drink skim milk, but I drink a fair amount of it. I probably have too much dairy in my diet, actually.

Just what I want... thick milk gone bad.

seriously, who came up with yogurt and cottage cheese? I'll eat just about anything that isn't a bug, but those two items seriously make me want to wretch.

SunDeck
12-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Just what I want... thick milk gone bad.

seriously, who came up with yogurt and cottage cheese?

Very hungry people, that's who.

While we're on the "Have you ever eaten real..." topic, I'll mention Mozzarella. Whatever that stuff is you find at the supermarket, it's not mozzarella.

BRM
12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Lots and lots of cheese in our house. My wife and kids go through quite a bit of milk every week but I rarely ever drink it. No yogurt or cottage cheese. None of us eat that stuff.

westofyou
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Very hungry people, that's who.

While we're on the "Have you ever eaten real..." topic, I'll mention Mozzarella. Whatever that stuff is you find at the supermarket, it's not mozzarella.

I like the buffalo type, floating in the water.. in fact I'm eating a sandwich right now of it and tomatoes and parsley with olive oil.. on a rustic baguette.

TRF
12-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I like the buffalo type, floating in the water.. in fact I'm eating a sandwich right now of it and tomatoes and parsley with olive oil.. on a rustic baguette.

I... I have no words. Except this:

AmarilloRed can maybe get what I am about to describe.

Yesterday I had a cheeseburger for lunch. It came from a local dive called Arnold's. In fact it was a double cheeseburger.

4 slices of american cheese on 2 pounds of hamburger. The diameter of my burger was 11, maybe 12 inches.

I'm still full.

westofyou
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM

Yesterday I had a cheeseburger for lunch. It came from a local dive called Arnold's. In fact it was a double cheeseburger.

4 slices of american cheese on 2 pounds of hamburger. The diameter of my burger was 11, maybe 12 inches.

I'm still full.
I haven't had a cheeseburger in 20 years.

BRM
12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

I'm still full.

2 pounds? Wow. That's some burger.

TRF
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
yeah. They also serve a triple. I believe each "patty" is about 1 pound pre-cooked.

Then there is the Texas Burger. Comes in a pizza box.

TRF
12-05-2008, 04:36 PM

you poor sad man.

Actually I do get what you say about eating meat. I get the same feelings at times. Do you ever miss it? even a little?

I haven't had a soda in 2 years. just water and juice. and milk :)

westofyou
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
yeah. They also serve a triple. I believe each "patty" is about 1 pound pre-cooked.

Then there is the Texas Burger. Comes in a pizza box.

Land of big food eh?

The Cattlemen's has nothing on them.. I saw that Frank Pastore ate the 72oz steak and the sides at the Cattlemens in NINE minutes.

That's sick.

westofyou
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
you poor sad man.

Actually I do get what you say about eating meat. I get the same feelings at times. Do you ever miss it? even a little?

I haven't had a soda in 2 years. just water and juice. and milk :)

Seafood I miss... sometimes, chicken and red meat, nah.

TRF
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Land of big food eh?

The Cattlemen's has nothing on them.. I saw that Frank Pastore ate the 72oz steak and the sides at the Cattlemens in NINE minutes.

That's sick.

I've seen that sign. It's a restaurant called The Big Texan. crappy steaks, it's a tourist trap. They have billboards as far away as Oklahoma City. What's worse than Pastore was a 9 year old kid once ate it in the allotted 1 hr.

Not to hijack, but does your eating lifestyle extend to eggs?

My mornings lately consist of 4 pieces of bacon, 4 eggs on top of hashbrowns with onions and peppers.

ugh, now I am hungry again.

SunDeck
12-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Ohhhh....I need a moment.

http://media.7x7sf.com/images/art_wherebuffalo.jpg

Doesn't quite weigh in at 2 pounds, I know.

TRF
12-05-2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.arnoldburgers.com/18inchjermey.jpg

heh. I am so hungry. This is the Arnold Texas Burger I believe.

And for the kids...

http://www.arnoldburgers.com/trini%20easterbunnie.jpg

M2
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
This is the Godzilla Burger:

http://static.flickr.com/99/259226380_6fa109c246.jpg

And this is what you have when a Godzilla Burger isn't enough - 5lbs of meat, 20 slices of cheese, 20 slices of bacon, 5lbs of fries. It cost's $50, but it's free if you can eat it inside of 30 minutes:

http://www.stomptokyo.com/chris/blog/pix/godzillaburger.jpg

They are available up the street from me.

Chip R
12-05-2008, 05:31 PM
That'll occupy a little space in your colon.

TRF
12-05-2008, 05:31 PM
That'll occupy a little space in your colon.

for years and years.

15fan
12-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Milk is for babies.

Or someone who happens to have a couple Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, or ginger snaps lying around.

And few things in life are as tasty as a slice of chocolate / devil's food cake and an ice cold glass of milk.

TRF
12-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Or someone who happens to have a couple Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, or ginger snaps lying around.

And few things in life are as tasty as a slice of chocolate / devil's food cake and an ice cold glass of milk.

quoted for extreme tastiness.

redsmetz
12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I missed this thread, but I'll throw in my two cents worth.

I love milk. Now in middle age, I'm mostly relegated to skim milk for drinking, but have to have 2% on my cereal. Go figure.

I still have some cheese, usually cheddar. Most Saturday's I'll make an egg sandwich with a slice of American cheese.

I come from a family of eight kids. When I was young, my mom would be eight gallons of milk from my uncle's store, bringing home two cases of it. We'd then mix it with powdered milk, half and half. You hated to be the one who needed milk and had to make up a batch. If someone made it ahead of time and it could chill overnight, you'd never know the half and half mix was anything different. So we consumed 16 gallons of milk a week!

westofyou
12-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Ohhhh....I need a moment.

http://media.7x7sf.com/images/art_wherebuffalo.jpg

Doesn't quite weigh in at 2 pounds, I know.

with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

does your eating lifestyle extend to eggs?

I do dabble in the liquid chicken, I like em pickled too.

Red in Chicago
12-05-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm approaching 10 years for beef, pork and veal. Probably close to 8 years for chicken. Don't miss it at all.

GAC
12-06-2008, 05:15 AM

Oh yeah!

When my wife makes cookies (chocolate chip or peanut butter), I'll put a hurtin' on them with a nice tall glass of cold milk.

I also love ginger snaps and the Archway brand of cookies.