PDA

View Full Version : My predictions for the Winter meetings (Reds related)

fewfirstchoice
12-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I say first they trade for Dye. Sending Maloney, Stubbs, and Freel to the W. Sox for Dye and 2 million dollars.

Then I say they trade EE, Valiaka, Burton, and Thompson to the Mariners for Adrian Beltre, JJ Putz, and some cash.

Next they send Bailey to the rangers for Laird. I dont agree with it totally but I think it happens.

I also think the Reds will be player for Furcal. Dont know if they sign him but I think tehy will be active with him.

Then I think they trade Arroyo and sign a FA starter maybe Looper because Walt knows him. Also they will sign Beimel to a 3 year 10 million contract.

freestyle55
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
You really think they're going to pull off 4 trades and possibly 3 FA signings at the Winter Meetings?

I'm going to predict absolutely nothing but conjecture happens for the Reds at these meetings.

I disagree on Beimel, because I think he'll get more than that, probably at least $4M a year since Affeldt got that much.

As for Furcal, their name might be mentioned, but I just can't see him coming here. I have a feeling someone else will throw more money at him than we will.

Emin3mShady07
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I really hope the reds don't trade Bailey for just Gerald Laird. Gerald Laird had a VORP of 7.1 runs this past season, and there is no way Homer Bailey is worth that little even with his struggles of late. Laird had an OPS of .727 last year and I really think that Ryan Hanigan could do that.

And from a White Sox prospective, I seriously doubt the white sox will add in 2 million dollars to that deal especially if they are not getting Homer Bailey and being forced to take on freel's contract. The White Sox are looking to dump payroll and Kenny Williams apparently asked for Homer Bailey+ for Dye, so I do not see how the first trade would ever work out looking like that IMHO.

dunner13
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
My prediction is we get an outfielder and it wont be jermaine dye. Eric Byrnes possibly?

Carin4Narron
12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm going to predict absolutely nothing but conjecture happens for the Reds at these meetings.

BINGO! Well said!

Hondo
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
My prediction is we get an outfielder and it wont be jermaine dye. Eric Byrnes possibly?

That would be awesome for the Reds to get Byrnes... 30/30 in Left... Nice

For the guy who started this Post...

Dye for all those guys? Yeah Right... I would Love to stick Freel on the Sox but not at the cost of adding Jermaine 36 years old Dye....

Bailey for Laird? Joke... Although I read that in MLB Rumors...

Beimel isn't going to sign for less per year than Jeremy Affeldt...

Furcal???? I think that is the guy Walt is zeroing in on....

But if this team doesn't get an ACE, a Big Time Right Handed Slugger to go between Votto and Bruce... It is a waste of a year...

Steviejoe
12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Evaluation of trades #1-Dye deal-to much for a player who maybe here just one year.#2-I like this trade,but with Putz going the market,his value is up.The Mets are sure to pursue him instead of all the money Rodriguez wants.#3-Some reason i don't like this deal,his potential is great but what has he done.#4-Don't need furcal as i have said befor we don't need another chance of a olayer like Alex Gonzalez,you never know about back injury.And i like Braden Looper,but what is the cost?

redsfandan
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
But if this team doesn't get an ACE, a Big Time Right Handed Slugger to go between Votto and Bruce... It is a waste of a year...

way to think positive dude!!! :thumbup:

Hondo
12-04-2008, 02:26 PM
way to think positive dude!!! :thumbup:

Do you just quote me to quote me?

Listen to Bronson Arroyo...

He said, that this team needs 2 Bats that you can count on to hit .300 with Power...

He said that if you have a guy hitting 25 Homers and he is Batting .240, more times than not... The Pitcher feels he will beat him...

Plus Votto, Bruce, and Phillips needs protection...

redsfandan
12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Do you just quote me to quote me?

Listen to Bronson Arroyo...

He said, that this team needs 2 Bats that you can count on to hit .300 with Power...

He said that if you have a guy hitting 25 Homers and he is Batting .240, more times than not... The Pitcher feels he will beat him...

Plus Votto, Bruce, and Phillips needs protection...

who me? course not :D

yeah i read the quote from arroyo too. i'm not too worried about that. the offseason has barely started. i'll agree that we need a bat but i'm ok with our starting pitching. but we already knew we had different views on that.

ChatterRed
12-04-2008, 03:57 PM
That would be awesome for the Reds to get Byrnes... 30/30 in Left... Nice

For the guy who started this Post...

Dye for all those guys? Yeah Right... I would Love to stick Freel on the Sox but not at the cost of adding Jermaine 36 years old Dye....

Bailey for Laird? Joke... Although I read that in MLB Rumors...

Beimel isn't going to sign for less per year than Jeremy Affeldt...

Furcal???? I think that is the guy Walt is zeroing in on....

Actually, I agree with you.

If the Reds don't get atleast one big RH bat, next season will be the same as always.

I don't see alot happening either.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Hate to be a partypooper but you asked...Yes, I hope to eat crow but based on the last several years this is what I expect.. One or two no name-no excitement signing/trades then excuses on why we just couldnt sign anyone...then in June or July when we are 20 games out we will be cussing at the tv yet again saying "Now why we couldnt sign anyone again???

BurgervilleBuck
12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Hate to be a partypooper but you asked...Yes, I hope to eat crow but based on the last several years this is what I expect..
And who was the GM the last several years? The owner?

Is it me or do people confuse the Reds for the Bengals?

ChatterRed
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Sometimes they look alike.

gedred69
12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking the most likely pick up is still Atkins. Depends on the return not giving too much of the supposed future away. Hate to say it, but I think Valaika and Dorn would be of interest to some other teams.

Steviejoe
12-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Not trying to be negitave,but honest.Alot of these players would help cincy,but i hope where not only planning for next year but the next three or four.I know the cost will be high,but i like Alex Rios of Toronto.Very happy to see them resign Mike Lincoln today.I think it was said that Walt always worked his team up the middle-c-2b-ss-cf.Hanigan i belive will work out,Phillips is going to be there,As i listen to Walt on 700wlw tonight,i don't think Gonzalez is going to be there,just tell by the tone in his voice.So i still like Jason Bartlett of tb. I am for any way for this team to get to the playoffs,and i do hope some of the above deals do come true,it will make me happy.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Despite my previous remarks I do look forward to the Winter Meetings every year with an almost child on Christmas morning attitude waiting for that big trade or signing to take place...will keep it on WLW all next week waiting for something to happen

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Bump--how are everyone's predictions coming along?

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-12-2008, 04:28 PM

I know we can still make trades,signings,etc...I am only referring to the now ended Winter Meetings...we sign a part time catcher and another 87 year old reliever...why did Walt even go..same ole same ole....Burgerville, what was your question again??

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Hate to be a partypooper but you asked...Yes, I hope to eat crow but based on the last several years this is what I expect.. One or two no name-no excitement signing/trades then excuses on why we just couldnt sign anyone...then in June or July when we are 20 games out we will be cussing at the tv yet again saying "Now why we couldnt sign anyone again???

Well, we certainly aren't 20 games out yet but....The front office had 6 months and made promise after promise to get a RH power bat and did NOTHING..absolutely NOTHING...I really wish Castellini would've just come out and said "I'm not paying for a power hitter" and left it at that.