PDA

View Full Version : A couple trades that could make sense

fewfirstchoice
12-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Send Bailey, Keppinger, and Stubbs to Seatle for Beltre and Johjima(sp) the Catcher.

Then send EE to SF for J. Sanchez

Send Arroyo, Freel, and Roenicke to Detriot or M. Ordonez

Then sign a FA starter.

Feels alot od holes with alot of good talent.

TC81190
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
C - Johjima
1B - Votto
2B - Phillps
SS - ?
3B - Beltre
LF - Ordonez
CF - ?
RF - Bruce

Volquez
Harang
Cueto
Sanchez
Free Agent

I don't know...we definitely make an improvement in the OF. But 3B is kind of a lateral move. And we still have a lot of holes left in this scenario.

Not sure how I'd feel about these trades.

fewfirstchoice
12-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Well how about these trades.

EE Giants for Sanchez (same as before)

Arroyo and Freel to Rockies for Atkins and Tavereas(sp)

Thompson the Rangers for Laird

Bailey and Dickerson for Dye and a AA prospect

sign Furcal

C- Laird
1B- Votto
2b- Phillips
3b- Atkins
SS- Furcal
LF- Dye
CF- Tavereas
RF- Bruce

1) Harang
2) Volquez
3) Cueto
4) FA signing Looper or O. Perez maybe
5) Owings

Not a bad lineup or rotation if ya ask me. I dont love Tavereas but he would make due. His D his very good and hes fast. His OBP isnt great but maybe GABP could help.

freestyle55
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Send Bailey, Keppinger, and Stubbs to Seatle for Beltre and Johjima(sp) the Catcher.

Johjima had the worst OPS of any catcher with 300 at bats, got beaten out for a job by a rookie during the first year of a 3 yr, $24M extension.

Supposedly he's decent defensively, but we don't need Paul Bako offensively part II in the lineup...

Hondo
12-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Johjima had the worst OPS of any catcher with 300 at bats, got beaten out for a job by a rookie during the first year of a 3 yr, $24M extension.

Supposedly he's decent defensively, but we don't need Paul Bako offensively part II in the lineup...

Agreed, that Johjima is basically what got Bavasi fired which is now on this staff so yeah... Ain't happening...

Leave Beltre Alone, he is washed up...

Steviejoe
12-06-2008, 01:09 AM
I really like the Seattle trade,solves a lot but not everything.i would send EE to San Francisco for Sanchez.Don't know about the Ordonez trade,i'm still a Rios fan.And i would like to see Looper as that last starter.Let's try Hanigan as our catcher and i still like Javier Valentin as a back up.He can hit if he can have more than 10 ab's a month,he has proven that.

laxtonto
12-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Ill post this in here out of the Baily/EE thread,just because this seems like the appropriate place now...

Gerald Laird, Marcus Lemon, Omar Poveda and Joaquin Arias for Bailey, Oscar Castro and Daryl Thompson

JayBruceFan
12-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Why the sudden obsession with Jonathan Sanchez?

GoReds33
12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Why the sudden obsession with Jonathan Sanchez?He's a lefty, he's young, and has a career strikeout ratio of about one per inning. I know 26 isn't really that young, but I believe he has some great potential.

Hondo
12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
He's a lefty, he's young, and has a career strikeout ratio of about one per inning. I know 26 isn't really that young, but I believe he has some great potential.

Yeah but Matt Cain is the young Power house that would make more sense...

Lockdwn11
12-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah but Matt Cain is the young Power house that would make more sense...

I'm sure everyone on this board would rather have M.Cain but this isn't MLB The Show with Forced trades turned on. The Giants are not going to trade M.Cain for a 3rd baseman that can't get the ball from 3rd to 1st. I mean with this thinking why even bother with the Giants lets go make the Ray trade us D. Price for Edwin. I'm all for that.

stock
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I think Beltre would be an upgrade over EE offensively. He has hit 76 HR on the road the last 5 years playing in pitching parks. He has hit 30 the last 2 away from Safeco. If he hits 15 HR away from GASP he should be good for 20 dingers at home.

Proposed trades:

Beltre and Bedard for EE, Freel, Maloney and Dorn. This is a huge salary dump for Seattle so they would probably be willing to give these players up cheaply.

Dye for Bailey and a prospect

Finally either sign Furcal or trade Arroyo and Thompson for Hardy (or better yet Alcides Escobar). When Milwaukee loses Sheets and Sabathia they will need to make a trade. They have 2 young quality SS.

Resign Hairston and Weathers

That leaves us with:

Furcal (SS)/Hairston (CF)
Hairston(CF)/Hardy (SS)/Phillips (2B)
Dye (LF)
Votto(1B)
Beltre(3B)
Bruce (RF)
Hairston/Hardy/Phillips
Hanigan (C)

SP

Volquez
Bedard
Harang
Cueto
Arroyo/Owings

RP
Cordero
Burton
Weathers
Bray
Lincoln
Masset
Ramirez/Owings

If Beltre, Bedard and Dye walk when FA calls we get a boatload of draft picks and we have Fraizer, Alonzo and Soto ready to replace Beltre and Dye.

With this lineup we can afford a catcher who calls a good game. Defense on the left side of the infield improves dramatically which helps Volquez especially. Defense in LF improves.

stock
12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
P.S.
I remember the kind of stats Beltre put up in his last contract year. I would like nothing more than for him to be in a Reds uniform with a like incentive this year.

Emin3mShady07
12-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Well how about these trades.

EE Giants for Sanchez (same as before)

Arroyo and Freel to Rockies for Atkins and Tavereas(sp)

Thompson the Rangers for Laird

Bailey and Dickerson for Dye and a AA prospect

sign Furcal

C- Laird
1B- Votto
2b- Phillips
3b- Atkins
SS- Furcal
LF- Dye
CF- Tavereas
RF- Bruce

1) Harang
2) Volquez
3) Cueto
4) FA signing Looper or O. Perez maybe
5) Owings

Not a bad lineup or rotation if ya ask me. I dont love Tavereas but he would make due. His D his very good and hes fast. His OBP isnt great but maybe GABP could help.

Honestly, I'd rather keep arroyo and freel than trade them for atkins. According to fielding bible, last year, atkins was 10 plays better than EE at third, BUT he only played 93 games at third last year so I would expect if he played 50 more games at third he would probably be only 3 or 4 plays better (2 or three runs better) so he this means he is very bad defensively. IMO, Kepp has very good hands, but his flaw is range and if the reds moved him to third base he could be at least an even fielder (+0) which would be a 16 run upgrade over EE. I think Kepp is good enough to produce a .800 OPS, which isn't great for a corner IF, but it isn't terrible. Also, Atkins offense concerns me because he has a career OPS at Coors of .921, but his career Road OPS is .754. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=atkinga01&year=c
I know GABP is a good hitters park, but make no mistake it is no Coors. This really makes me want to take a pass on Atkins especially when we have to give up a strong starter in Arroyo to get him. Willy Taveras is not very good, his OBP is god awful and in 538 PA last year he only created 47 runs http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/player/index.php?playerId=1876&firstName=Willy&lastName=Taveras that just screams at the top of its lungs, I do not belong on a major league team. And he was nothing special on D.