PDA

View Full Version : Weathers accepts arbitration

robmadden1
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Right-hander David Weathers has accepted the Reds' offer of arbitration.

The team placed Weathers back on its 40-man roster after the reliever accepted its offer before a midnight deadline Sunday.

Weathers was rated as a Type B free agent, meaning had he declined arbitration and signed with another team, the Reds would have received a supplemental first-round draft pick in June.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081208/SPT04/312080032/1071

Steviejoe
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Good,alot of people don't like him because of hid age,it can't be his stats.I would like to have a bullpen of players with his stats.Who knows,with him and Lincoln resigned,plus they will probbly end up with Arthur Rhodes,plus Bray,i don't think that is to bad for the price they are paying.

markymark69
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Weathers has pitched well in Cincinnati. I hope he isn't pitching on borrowed time and that the Reds can squeeze one more solid year out of him. For his track record and what is out there in the market, I can't really say that this is a terrible move. I hope I'm not regretting this in June.

Jack Burton
12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
This is.....sickening. Weathers is terrible, he has a knack for letting the other team back in the game. I don't know how people can say he is good, that's amazing to me. The guy is money for letting inherited runners score. Bad move.

tripleaaaron
12-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Weathers hasn't been completely awful during his time here, but he is ready to drop off very soon and I would much rather have a sandwich pick in the draft.

Bip Roberts
12-09-2008, 02:40 AM
getting weathers back isnt a bad thing i dont think. Him getting a raise is though.

Ghosts of 1990
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Weathers, the best pitcher in baseball when your team is down 8-3

WildcatFan
12-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I can't start a thread, so I'll get the discussion going in this one it seems to be the most appropriate.

What is the pitching staff going to look like at the beginning of 2009? Here's what we know:

Starters
SP Edinson Volquez
SP Aaron Harang
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Johnny Cueto

Bullpen
RHP Mike Lincoln
RHP David Weathers
RHP Jared Burton
LHP Bill Bray
Closer Francisco Cordero

That leaves the fifth starter spot, probably one more left-handed reliever and one more arm.

For the starting spot, Walt has to make a choice from a pool of Homer Bailey, Micah Owings, Daryl Thompson and Ramon Ramirez. Matt Maloney may also make a push in Spring Training.

Jock is trying to find the lefty reliever in free agency with Arthur Rhodes and maybe Joe Beimel.

The final arm will be from within the organization and will most likely be one of Owings (if he doesn't win a starter's role), Josh Roenicke and Nick Masset. So you have some decisions to make. Here's what I would do:

Starters
Volquez
Harang
Arroyo
Cueto
Thompson

Bullpen
RHP Lincoln
RHP Weathers
RHP Owings
RHP Burton
LHP Bray
LHP Rhodes/Beimel
Closer Cordero

I give Thompson a shot at the fifth spot right out of the gate unless he has a poor showing in Spring Training or somebody else really jumps out at me. I'm hoping Maloney shows enough to crack the rotation, mostly because it would be nice to get a lefty every once in a while, but for now it's Thompson.
That puts Owings in the perfect position. He struggled as a starter, but he would be perfect in a long relief role if someone breaks down early, and he would be available to pinch hit in normal game situations. Unfortunately, that blocks Masset, who I was really impressed with in his short stint last season, and Roenicke, who has been lighting up the minors. I'm not in the Trade Bailey camp yet, so I'm just going to let him sit in Louisville for a while maybe he'll up his trade value or even get ready to take Arroyo's spot. Ramon Ramirez needs some more time.

I think that gives the Reds a pretty formidable pen, especially if they sign Rhodes sometime this week. I'm a fair Weathers fan; I think he's a great clubhouse guy who won't crack in tight situations (I do think 3.5 or 4 mil is overpaying for him, though). The rest are proven league average guys, a couple of which (Bray, Burton) have the capability to break out at any point.

What would you do with your staff?

Manut Bol
12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh, great. I guess we should try to get Todd Coffey back too. :confused: