PDA

View Full Version : Reds may be interested in Jeff Francoeur.

redsfan4445
12-09-2008, 12:08 AM
per mlb trade rumours.. dont know if the Braves would trade him.. hmmm thinking Arroyo (and a prospect) for jo jo Reyes and Francoeur??

10:52pm: MLB.com's Mark Bowman says the Reds "may have some interest in Jeff Francoeur." However, the Braves don't want to move him.

dougdirt
12-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Please no.

redsfan30
12-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Jeff Francoeur would be a huge disappointment to me after the Jermaine Dye rumors.

Topcat
12-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Please no.

I second that, and of this banter on what it would cost to get Shoppach can die off to. i like the guy but not at any price with names being tossed around. In the end I want the Red's to acquire somebody at catcher but not at some over inflated insane cost.

WMR
12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
God NO.

We're going to be OBP challenged enough as it is.

I HATE Francoeur's game.

Wheelhouse
12-09-2008, 12:22 AM
God NO.

We're going to be OBP challenged enough as it is.

I HATE Francoeur's game.

He's 24--how can you hate his game? It hasn't even developed yet. Francoeur is EXACTLY the type of player the Reds should go after--young, cheap and extremely talented right handed bat.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2005/0829_large.jpg

kaldaniels
12-09-2008, 12:25 AM
After 2007...I'd be all ears...but he had an awful 2008...what happened?

Wheelhouse
12-09-2008, 12:27 AM
After 2007...I'd be all ears...but he had an awful 2008...what happened?

Who knows. But he's a top, top talent. Put him in the mix with our young gang I say...

OnBaseMachine
12-09-2008, 12:31 AM
If he could be had cheaply I'd have no problem taking a chance on him but I wouldn't give up anything of great value for Francoeur.

Matt700wlw
12-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Buy low? For a team like the Reds....it could make sense....hell, Dusty hates basecloggers :)

Wheelhouse
12-09-2008, 12:34 AM
If he could be had cheaply I'd have no problem taking a chance on him but I wouldn't give up anything of great value for Francoeur.

I agree--I think it's a matter of price. He's the type of player though who's HR numbers would go up by a high percentage at GABP.

WMR
12-09-2008, 12:34 AM
He's 24--how can you hate his game? It hasn't even developed yet. Francoeur is EXACTLY the type of player the Reds should go after--young, cheap and extremely talented right handed bat.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2005/0829_large.jpg

Way way wayyy overhyped.

One Brandon Phillips is enough for this team.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Way way wayyy overhyped.

One Brandon Phillips is enough for this team.

I'd take 13 Brandon Phillipseseses...

corkedbat
12-09-2008, 12:36 AM

Warts and all, the Braves wil hold out for a large ransom before moving moving Francouer. Cheap is the one thing he won't be. I'd pass unless you have a pretty good idea of what went wrong this past year and are confident you can fix him.

Like many have said before, be very wary of somebody the Braves are willing to trade.

WMR
12-09-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd take 13 Brandon Phillipseseses...

You want 13 number 6-7 hitters? :eek:

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2008, 12:37 AM
You want 13 number 6-7 hitters? :eek:

With Gold Glove defense? Hell yeah...

kaldaniels
12-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Warts and all, the Braves wil hold out for a large ransom before moving moving Francouer. Cheap is the one thing he won't be. I'd pass unless you have a pretty good idea of what went wrong this past year and are confident you can fix him.

Like many have said before, be very wary of somebody the Braves are willing to trade.

He should be cheap but the casual Braves fans love the guy...the huge PR hit for ATL will bump up the asking price for him I bet.

WMR
12-09-2008, 12:38 AM
With Gold Glove defense? Hell yeah...

I was talking on the offensive side of things, BC.

dougdirt
12-09-2008, 12:39 AM
What happened to Francoeur? The league figured out that he will swing at EVERYTHING.

We think Brandon Phillips is a free swinger.... Frenchy puts him to shame. Below are the charts for Pitch F/X swinging strikes for each guy.

Brandon Phillips
http://redsminorleagues.com/images/bpsk.gif
Jeff Francouer
http://redsminorleagues.com/images/fransk.gif

AmarilloRed
12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
His defense also took a hit last year. He went from +10 and winning a Gold Glove in 2007, to -17 last year according to the Plus-Minus system. I don't think the Braves can be asking for a player who suffered both a offensive and defensive decline last year.Anyway, I thought the Braves weren't willing to trade him.:confused:

Matt700wlw
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM
That's my biggest concern with him...a free swinger, Dusty as a manager.....

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I was talking on the offensive side of things, BC.

Ah, I thought you were responding to Wheelhouse liking his "game," thus Frenchy's total package. But yeah, Francoeur is an awful player at this point...

kaldaniels
12-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I remember when he first came up he had a remarkable number of AB's before drawing a walk.

Homer Bailey
12-09-2008, 12:48 AM
100% NO on Jeff Francoeur.

corkedbat
12-09-2008, 12:54 AM
599 (AB) .239 (AVG) 11 (HR) 71 (RBI) .294 (OBP) .359 (SLG) .653 (OPS) 39 (BB) 111 (SO)

Very unpretty

deltachi8
12-09-2008, 01:19 AM
pass.

KronoRed
12-09-2008, 01:37 AM
I could see it, refuses to take a walk, thinks the way to go is to swing at everything even if it's 3 feet outside.

Reminds me of some Reds.

Ltlabner
12-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Francoeur is EXACTLY the type of player the Reds should go after--young, cheap and extremely talented right handed bat.

I would argue that Francoeur is exactly the type of player the Reds should avoid like the plague. Plate discipline challenged players who can't find first base with a GPS and a search team represent the wrong kind of player to target. ESPECIALLY with The Dusty at the helm preaching "be agressive" at the plate.

This kid, while having some raw tallents, doesn't need to "be agressive" and doing so will only make his flaws go from glaring to horrific. Think Patterson and you woln't be far off.

YEAR NAME AGE PA EqA OBP SLG VORP RAR RAP
2008 Jeff Francoeur 24 653 .228 .294 .359 -17.8 -1.5 -35.3
2007 Jeff Francoeur 23 696 .268 .338 .444 17.9 27.6 -3.2
2006 Jeff Francoeur 22 686 .293 .449 -1.0

If the Reds land him, and I hope they don't, he needs to room with Joey Votto and talk about plate discipline nightly. While we've cleared the decks of some of the free-swinging hackers (Patterson, Bako, Javy) they aren't all gone. Nor do we need to restock their ranks with a kid who has a history of swinging at everything from pitches in the dirt to floating hot-dog wrappers.

edabbs44
12-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Take a shot on him, as long as he comes cheap.

Raisor
12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Take a shot on him, as long as he comes cheap.

Even if he comes cheap, he's going to soak up 650 PA's of sucky hitting.

edabbs44
12-09-2008, 07:59 AM

If he sucks that bad then he becomes a bench guy. As long as he comes cheap then it wouldn't be that bad of a hit.

Raisor
12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
If he sucks that bad then he becomes a bench guy. As long as he comes cheap then it wouldn't be that bad of a hit.

He hasn't handled not playing very well. Pitched a major league fit for being sent down to the minors for three days.

BoydsOfSummer
12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
I just inherited him on a DMB team. I traded him for a 3rd round pick. I thought it was pure genius on my part.

paintmered
12-09-2008, 08:06 AM

If the Reds trade for Francoeur, he won't be a bench player. Despite his horrific 2008 season (a sign of things to come with him IMO), Atlanta will probably ask for Jay Bruce in return.

Stay away from Francoeur. Stay far, far away. Unless it's for your Hacking Mass team.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 08:31 AM
OMG, this would be the WORST acquisition in recent memory. I would be SO much happier with the Dye-Bailey trade.

Ltlabner
12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
He hasn't handled not playing very well. Pitched a major league fit for being sent down to the minors for three days.

So in addition to not being able to hit a baseball he's got bad clubhouse mojo?

Sweet.

Heath
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Jeff Francoeur?

Survey says?

http://a218.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/s_f42eeeea38714910ad6ef7dedd9a0b31.jpg

Cyclone792
12-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I like it!

We can have Francoeur in the outfield. Then we can bring back Patterson and Bako as regular starters. And while we're at it, ship Encarnacion out and call up Juan Francisco. Is Wily Mo Pena available too? I'd love to grab him. We can stick with Gonzalez at shortstop too unless we want to take a stab at a guy like Cristian Guzman.

I say we shoot for a team goal on-base percentage of around .290. If we acquire/bring back enough hacks, we might be able to do it!

Raisor
12-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Jeff Francoeur is the player certain people think Adam Dunn is.

WMR
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I like it!

We can have Francoeur in the outfield. Then we can bring back Patterson and Bako as regular starters. And while we're at it, ship Encarnacion out and call up Juan Francisco. Is Wily Mo Pena available too? I'd love to grab him. We can stick with Gonzalez at shortstop too unless we want to take a stab at a guy like Cristian Guzman.

I say we shoot for a team goal on-base percentage of around .290. If we acquire/bring back enough hacks, we might be able to do it!

How dare you besmirch the name of Wily Mo on these boards! :D

[chris crocker] LEAVE WILY MO ALONE!!!! [/chris crocker]

RedEye
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I like it!

Then all we need is a manager who encourages all of them to swing aggressively at all times. :rolleyes:

Heath
12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I like it!

You'll never get WMP. He's a Nat for Life now.

WMR
12-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Then all we need is a manager who encourages all of them to swing aggressively at all times. :rolleyes:

You're not gettin' paid to walk, Dude.

15fan
12-09-2008, 09:17 AM

That temper tantrum would've made my 5 year old proud.

Dude was so messed up that they should've sent him back to instructional ball and left him there for a while. Kind of reminded me of Bret Boone ca. 1997, both with respect to his struggles and how he handled it.

hebroncougar
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I can hear Dusty in August............it's just an extended sophomore slump, the boys got some serious talent, and between him and Brandon the bases aren't clogged up at all.

SteelSD
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Eww...

During his MLB career, Jeff Francoeur has 96 unintentional Walks and has hit into 51 Double Plays.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
You're not gettin' paid to walk, Dude.

Can you imagine that lineup against someone like Peavy or Santana? They'd probably strike out 10 batters just spotting their fastballs out of the zone.

WMR
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Can you imagine that lineup against someone like Peavy or Santana? They'd probably strike out 10 batters just spotting their fastballs out of the zone.

The Reds would set the record for fastest game ever played and proceed to break it at least 30 times that season. :D

Chip R
12-09-2008, 09:30 AM
The Reds would set the record for fastest game ever played and proceed to break it at least 30 times that season. :D

That would make one poofy-haired broadcaster extremely happy.

flyer85
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Hint: Stay away from the low OBP guys ... you already have enough of them Walt.

REDREAD
12-09-2008, 09:49 AM

The Reds are full of holes. In order to address all of them, we are going to have to have sub-optimal choices for a few of them.

Right now, we don't have a LF at all (assuming Dickerson is in CF). I am willing to take Dye, Francour, or someone like that for now, provided the trade cost is not too high. It's a step up from Hopper/Freel.

A team like the Reds has time to spend with a guy like Francour and hope he develops. The guy is young and talented. He regressed last year, but talent is there. Not my first choice, but not a horrible second choice.

Ltlabner
12-09-2008, 09:49 AM
The thought of bringing Francour to town makes me long for the heady days of the Todd Hollinsworth experiment.

Ltlabner
12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
A team like the Reds has time to spend with a guy like Francour and hope he develops. The guy is young and talented. He regressed last year, but talent is there. Not my first choice, but not a horrible second choice.

If the Reds had an organizational history of preaching plate discipline and working the counts Id agree with you.

But they don't. And The Dusty further reinforces it with the 'be agressive' crap.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
The Reds are full of holes. In order to address all of them, we are going to have to have sub-optimal choices for a few of them.

Right now, we don't have a LF at all (assuming Dickerson is in CF). I am willing to take Dye, Francour, or someone like that for now, provided the trade cost is not too high. It's a step up from Hopper/Freel.

I really don't think Francoeur is a step up from a healthy Freel. Frenchy is a human out machine and Freel gets on base at a .360 or .370 clip.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
That would make one poofy-haired broadcaster extremely happy.

By that rationale, Marty should have loved Dunn, right? All those strikeouts get him home from the park earlier. Oh wait, but the walks and long counts slow things way down and clog the bases... so he'd prefer Frenchy.

Puffy
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Please. Please no. Just no - did you ever met the person with no filter in his brain? The guy like Kramer in Seinfeld who says whatever pops into his head. Thats Francoeur with the bat - no filter. Swings at anything. Sure sometimes he gets pitch he can hit (just like sometimes guy with no filter actually says something productive) but its not enough. So please. Please no.

membengal
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
This bit of rumor makes me sad.

Might as well write a headline:

Reds may be interested in poison.

Chip R
12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I wonder if Francouer has some chemical dependency issues. His game's gone to pot, his defense has regressed and he threw a fit when he got sent down. Now it appears the Braves are shopping him. If that's the case, they are giving up on him awful quick. Perhaps they know something others don't.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
This per MLBTR:

According to one National League executive, the Kansas City Royals and Atlanta Braves have had serious discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Jeff Francouer to the Royals for pitcher Zack Greinke. The same source said he believed the teams were close to executing the deal, but that Atlanta was holding up any and all trade discussions until the Braves had a resolution of their pursuit of right-hander A.J. Burnett.

Let's hope Moore swoops in and takes Frenchy out from under Walt's nose. Greinke > Homer at this point, so that shouldn't be an issue.

WMR
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow, Atlanta would be getting a steal, IMO. Greinke has really bounced back.

Benihana
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
This per MLBTR:

Let's hope Moore swoops in and takes Frenchy out from under Walt's nose. Greinke > Homer at this point, so that shouldn't be an issue.

That would be a ridiculous deal for Atlanta. What is Dayton Moore doing?!

corkedbat
12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
That would be a ridiculous deal for Atlanta. What is Dayton Moore doing?!

What is ATL waiting for? I'm guessing they're wanting Arroyo at a minimum for him - NO THANKS!

i don't want Freel or Hairston as our starting LFer, but I'll take either over Francouer.

membengal
12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
If there is the remotest truth to that rumored deal, KC should be banned from further moves this off-season. And if KC is making Grienke available for that shaky a return, I hope Walt is on the phone to them ASAP.

M2
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
When we were kicking around names in the "name five guys from the outside" thread, Francoeur struck me as the sort of toolsy OF Jocketty tends to target. It wouldn't surprise me if Jocketty went after Francouer, provided the Braves are willing to move the guy for not too much.

He would address the defense. I don't for a second think a fit 25-year-old OF has somehow gone from a GG OF to a statue in one year. He will bounce back in the field.

His biggest problem right now is his swing. It's a mess. Because he doesn't take many BBs, he's got to hit .300 to be effective, though it should be noted that his ISOd has improved each of the past two seasons (it's still not good, mind you). There's also the open question of whether he'll ever hit RHPs.

Anyway, Francoeur wouldn't be my choice, but Jocketty might look at him like it's getting in on the ground floor of a new Jim Edmonds.

membengal
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
You may be right, M2. It's just that Atlanta is not generally a stupid franchise when it comes to loosing players with potential, and the warning flags on Francoeur, as you certainly know, are plentiful and somewhat dire.

But, really, for me, the idea of adding a guy with THAT little plate discipline to a Dusty-managed team is horrifying...

RedEye
12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
You may be right, M2. It's just that Atlanta is not generally a stupid franchise when it comes to loosing players with potential, and the warning flags on Francoeur, as you certainly know, are plentiful and somewhat dire.

But, really, for me, the idea of adding a guy with THAT little plate discipline to a Dusty-managed team is horrifying...

Totally agree. My friend, a Braves fan, is ecstatic about the idea of Wren moving Frenchy for just about any return. He's been that bad. The guy has serious, serious flaws in his game and, as we know so well with Adam Dunn (.240, .370, 40, 100, 100), once a player has been in the league for a few years, what you see is what you get more often than not. This is not to say that Dunn and Francoeur are comparable--just that I think Francoeur is what he is. And the Reds shouldn't fool themselves into thinking otherwise.

fearofpopvol1
12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
All depends on what the Braves are asking for. I do not think the Reds should try to match KC's offer of a "Greinke" type player (assuming those discussions are legitimate).

M2
12-09-2008, 10:59 AM

I agree with you, but I can see where Francoeur trips Jocketty's toolsy OF impulses. Hopefully the Braves ask for too much in return and chase him away.

membengal
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with you, but I can see where Francoeur trips Jocketty's toolsy OF impulses. Hopefully the Braves ask for too much in return and chase him away.

Again, you make a compelling argument for why there may be some fire with this particular smoke.

Stop scaring me.

osuceltic
12-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Everyone wants to buy low in theory, but when it comes time to do it, no one wants the guy because he sucks. If he comes cheap, a guy with Frenchy's talent isn't a bad risk. If he bombs, what does it cost you?

He reminds me a little of a young Jose Guillen. Extremely toolsy, flashes of big-time talent, no plate discipline, good OF defender, questionable attitude. And a guy who needed a change of scenery after going through some struggles with his original team. He pulled his game together in the middle of his career and became a pretty effective player until his salary started exceeding his true production and his talent could no longer cover for the lack of refinement in his game. I could see Francouer following the same track. Of course, he also could wash out. But if he comes cheap, who cares?

The key is maximizing the value while you have it and recognizing when to cash in the chips. The Reds actually did very well in that regard with Guillen. He played well here and we turned him into Aaron Harang.

Actually, Juan Encarnacion is another guy with a lot of similarities. He played well for the Reds for the short time he was here, improved his value, and was traded for Ryan Dempster. The Reds didn't do so well in that exchange.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to give up much for the guy (certainly not a Greinke-level player -- and I don't believe for a second the Royals would do that), but I'm OK with taking a chance with a talented player in need of a change of scenery.

Falls City Beer
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't mind a grip it and rip it guy like Francoeur off the bench. Guy like him could face a flagging starter in the 7th, get a flat fastball and bury it in the 10th row. Not interested in bringing him in as a platoon however.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't mind a grip it and rip it guy like Francoeur off the bench. Guy like him could face a flagging starter in the 7th, get a flat fastball and bury it in the 10th row. Not interested in bringing him in as a platoon however.

Braves are going to want too much for him to allow him to be a bench player. Not to mention he would probably throw temper tantrums in the dugout with such a lack of playing time.

Falls City Beer
12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Braves are going to want too much for him to allow him to be a bench player. Not to mention he would probably throw temper tantrums in the dugout with such a lack of playing time.

I agree. It would be an absolutely putrid deal.

dougdirt
12-09-2008, 12:05 PM
The Royals are beyond stupid if there is any validity to that rumor.

bucksfan2
12-09-2008, 12:13 PM

The same probably could be said about Brandon Phillips when he was in Cleveland.

I think Francoeur is an interesting target in this off season. IIRC he went from being an Atl high school legend, to playing minor league ball in Macon, to starting for the Braves in a very quick fashion. They guy has the talent to become a very good outfielder. Maybe he just hit a road block down in Atlanta. Maybe he needs to get out of Georgia for a while.

I don't think he will command a lot in a trade. Many baseball executives are going to be worried about is 08 year and his low OBP. Maybe 08 was just a bad season for Francoeur. If you can get him for cheap and plug him into the RF spot you may have another Brandon Phillips type player in your everyday lineup.

M2
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Everyone wants to buy low in theory, but when it comes time to do it, no one wants the guy because he sucks. If he comes cheap, a guy with Frenchy's talent isn't a bad risk. If he bombs, what does it cost you?

You make a good point. Part of what a GM has to do is figure out which guys who suck will be good in the future. Brandon Phillips is a perfect example. Aaron Harang wasn't setting the world on fire when he was with Oakland. Josh Hamilton went from scuffling in the GCL to thriving in the majors.

The key is the "buy low" part and we don't know if the Braves are willing to accommodate on that front. Even though Francoeur isn't my preference, I'm willing to give Jocketty some rope, he's earned that. And, like you noted, the Reds have some recent precedent with guys like Francoeur working out. The upside of acquiring Francoeur in a buy low scenario would be that the Reds could use other resources, like Homer Bailey, to get the SS and C that they need. Yet the risk gets too high if the Braves start asking for a hefty return.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
The same probably could be said about Brandon Phillips when he was in Cleveland.

I think Francoeur is an interesting target in this off season. IIRC he went from being an Atl high school legend, to playing minor league ball in Macon, to starting for the Braves in a very quick fashion. They guy has the talent to become a very good outfielder. Maybe he just hit a road block down in Atlanta. Maybe he needs to get out of Georgia for a while.

I don't think he will command a lot in a trade. Many baseball executives are going to be worried about is 08 year and his low OBP. Maybe 08 was just a bad season for Francoeur. If you can get him for cheap and plug him into the RF spot you may have another Brandon Phillips type player in your everyday lineup.

Wait a minute... didn't the Reds acquire Brandon Phillips for pretty much nothing? All we know about Francoeur, at least on the rumor side, is that KC was supposed to be talking about given ATL Greinke for him. That is certainly not nothing. Francoeur's value has plummeted, to be sure, but not so far that the Reds can get him for a song.

M2
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Wait a minute... didn't the Reds acquire Brandon Phillips for pretty much nothing? All we know about Francoeur, at least on the rumor side, is that KC was supposed to be talking about given ATL Greinke for him. That is certainly not nothing. Francoeur's value has plummeted, to be sure, but not so far that the Reds can get him for a song.

I'd be shocked if anyone paid that much for Francoeur. That said, maybe the Braves won't let him go for less. Right now they've got question marks across the OF. Dealing the one guy they've got out there with some major league success might not be something they'll consider unless another team bowls them over.

Than again, Francoeur is arbitration eligible and the Braves might not want to have a fistfight with him concerning his contract. I believe Scott Boras is his agent.

RedEye
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd be shocked if anyone paid that much for Francoeur. That said, maybe the Braves won't let him go for less. Right now they've got question marks across the OF. Dealing the one guy they've got out there with some major league success might not be something they'll consider unless another team bowls them over.

Than again, Francoeur is arbitration eligible and the Braves might not want to have a fistfight with him concerning his contract. I believe Scott Boras is his agent.

I think Frenchy is one of those players who has a huge gap between perception (former SI cover man with huge upside) and reality (one of the worst offensive players in the game).