PDA

View Full Version : Reds Need To Get In The Peavy Sweepstakes

Krusty
12-09-2008, 05:18 AM
After reading the Jeff Francoeur thread and articles about Peavy, I was wondering if a deal like this would work involving the Padres, Reds and Braves:

Reds trade Homer Bailey, Josh Roenicke and Matt Maloney to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

The Reds then trade Peavy and Alex Gonzalez (pending physical) for Yunel Escobar and Jeff Francoeur.

Okay, let me have it.

reds44
12-09-2008, 05:23 AM
A. I don't think that's enough to get Peavy
B. I don't think that's enough to get for Peavy
C. I don't understand the point of even including the Padres in it. Trade Bailey, Roenicke, Maloney, and Alex Gonzalez for Escobar and Francoeur (not saying I would do that).

Krusty
12-09-2008, 05:47 AM
A. I don't think that's enough to get Peavy
B. I don't think that's enough to get for Peavy
C. I don't understand the point of even including the Padres in it. Trade Bailey, Roenicke, Maloney, and Alex Gonzalez for Escobar and Francoeur (not saying I would do that).

All I'm saying is the Reds have the young arms that the Padres might be looking at for a Jake Peavy deal. Now if they were able to acquire Peavy, they could flip him to a third team for that righthanded hitter and shortstop. Atlanta was the first team I thought of involving Francoeur and Escobar. If Peavy was willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to the Reds, that would open the door to trading a player like Arroyo for a righthanded hitter.

mth123
12-09-2008, 05:55 AM
After reading the Jeff Francoeur thread and articles about Peavy, I was wondering if a deal like this would work involving the Padres, Reds and Braves:

Reds trade Homer Bailey, Josh Roenicke and Matt Maloney to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

The Reds then trade Peavy and Alex Gonzalez (pending physical) for Yunel Escobar and Jeff Francoeur.

Okay, let me have it.

I think you are close.

1. Convince Peavey to play here. Throw $ his way and tell him if he goes to Atlanta he could get stuck with David Ross as his catcher.
2. Bailey, Maloney, Roenicke, Stubbs and Valaika for Peavey
3. Keep Peavey and be happy.
4. Sign a couple free agents to add offense and defense.

Krusty
12-09-2008, 06:03 AM
I think you are close.

1. Convince Peavey to play here. Throw $ his way and tell him if he goes to Atlanta he could get stuck with David Ross as his catcher.
2. Bailey, Maloney, Roenicke, Stubbs and Valaika for Peavey
3. Keep Peavey and be happy.
4. Sign a couple free agents to add offense and defense.

I think the Reds can put a better deal on the table than what the Cubs and Braves have offered. Kevin Towers could choose between Bailey, Roenicke, Maloney, Frazier, Valitka, Stubbs and Dickerson. If I'm Jockertty I tell him to pick three for Peavy. If Peavy agrees to play for the Reds, then I trade Arroyo for that righthanded hitter. If Peavy doesn't waive his no-trade to play for the Reds, then I offer him to Atlanta for Francoeur and Escobar.

mth123
12-09-2008, 06:22 AM
I think the Reds can put a better deal on the table than what the Cubs and Braves have offered. Kevin Towers could choose between Bailey, Roenicke, Maloney, Frazier, Valitka, Stubbs and Dickerson. If I'm Jockertty I tell him to pick three for Peavy. If Peavy agrees to play for the Reds, then I trade Arroyo for that righthanded hitter. If Peavy doesn't waive his no-trade to play for the Reds, then I offer him to Atlanta for Francoeur and Escobar.

I agree that the Reds have better prospects in general than the Cubs. It still probably takes at least 4 with Bailey and Stubbs included. Roenicke, Maloney, Valaika, Thompson, Owings, Ramirez, and maybe a younger guy like Francisco would be the guys I'd let them choose the other two from.

If they would have to move Peavey to the Braves, I'd offer Peavey and Keppinger for Escobar, Clint Sammons and Jo Jo Reyes.

Krusty
12-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I agree that the Reds have better prospects in general than the Cubs. It still probably takes at least 4 with Bailey and Stubbs included. Roenicke, Maloney, Valaika, Thompson, Owings, Ramirez, and maybe a younger guy like Francisco would be the guys I'd let them choose the other two from.

If they would have to move Peavey to the Braves, I'd offer Peavey and Keppinger for Escobar, Clint Sammons and Jo Jo Reyes.

Only problem with keeping Peavy is the Reds weren't on his list of teams he would approve a trade to. With that being the case, he would have to be flipped to a third team. Finding the best matchup involving a righthanded hitting outfielder and shortstop is the key. Braves would be at the top of that list.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-09-2008, 06:40 AM
So what would convince Peavy to come to Cincinnati? Two legitimate things come to mind- Mega, mega dollars and the promise of Jocketty making more moves to get the Reds far into the post-season. Problem is Peavy would want a renegotiated contract or wouldn't come to the Reds. At this point Bob Castellini looks at his budgeted 80 million dollars for 2009's payroll and realizes the impasse such a signing would have on bringing in a high dollar, right-handed bat such as Jermaine Dye. Moving Harang's contract would ease bringing in Peavy and possibly get an Escobar and Francoeur from Atlanta with an added player or two to Atlanta, hopefully including Alex Gonzales. If not, perhaps a AAA and Single-A player or players such as Daryl Thompson and Carson Kainer would be attractive to Atlanta along with Harang, of course).

Very interesting idea Krusty!!! I just see the $$$$$ as THE roadblock.

Krusty
12-09-2008, 07:02 AM
So what would convince Peavey to come to Cincinnati? Two legitimate things come to mind- Mega, mega dollars and the promise of Jocketty making more moves to get the Reds far into the post-season. Problem is Peavey would want a renegotiated contract or wouldn't come to the Reds. At this point Bob Castellini looks at his budgeted 80 million dollars for 2009's payroll and realizes the impasse such a signing would have on bringing in a high dollar, right-handed bat such as Jermaine Dye. Moving Harang's contract would ease bringing in Peavey and possibly get an Escobar and Francoeur from Atlanta with an added player or two to Atlanta, hopefully including Alex Gonzales. If not, perhaps a AAA and Single-A player or players such as Daryl Thompson and Carson Kainer would be attractive to Atlanta along with Harang, of course).

Very interesting idea Krusty!!! I just see the $$$$$ as THE roadblock.

The Reds would be that third team to facilitate a move that would send Peavy to either Houston, Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, St. Louis Cardinals or the Chicago Cubs......which were on his list that teams he approved a deal to. Now you don't really want to trade him to either the Cubs, Cardinals or Houston. That would leave the Dodgers and Braves. The Braves are the better match here. As much as the Braves are reluctant to trade Francouer, they might in a deal for Peavy. Like I said, I offer Peavy, Gonzalez and maybe Rosales for Francoeur and Escobar. The Braves still have Blanco and Diaz in their outfield and can sign a mid-level free agent outfielder.

Jpup
12-09-2008, 07:08 AM
I'd trade anyone on the Reds for 4 years of Jake Peavy on the team. Yes, Edinson and Jay too.

cincrazy
12-09-2008, 07:12 AM
I hate to rain on the parade, but it's going to take waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than a package centered around Homer Bailey and the like to land Jake Peavy. Besides, Kevin Towers has already gone on record as saying it's a one team race for Peavy. He's either going to the Cubs, or back to SD.

Jpup
12-09-2008, 07:16 AM
I hate to rain on the parade, but it's going to take waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than a package centered around Homer Bailey and the like to land Jake Peavy. Besides, Kevin Towers has already gone on record as saying it's a one team race for Peavy. He's either going to the Cubs, or back to SD.

Driving the price up? Peavy will play anywhere for enough money. If I were him, I would stay in SD. Perfect weather. :cool:

Vada Pinson Fan
12-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Atlanta certainly would have there sights set on another multiple years run as division champs if they could add Peavy to their starting staff.

I understand that your objective, Krusty, is to get Escobar and Francoeur to Cincinnati.

You said Reds trade Homer Bailey, Josh Roenicke and Matt Maloney to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

I would rather see Roenicke taken out of that mix and Atlanta adding a player of theirs going to San Diego. Make it a true 3 team trade. I know, the Reds would have to substitute a player in place of Roenicke and I would suggest Drew Stubbs.

Krusty
12-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Atlanta certainly would have there sights set on another multiple years run as division champs if they could add Peavy to their starting staff.

I understand that your objective, Krusty, is to get Escobar and Francoeur to Cincinnati.

You said Reds trade Homer Bailey, Josh Roenicke and Matt Maloney to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

I would rather see Roenicke taken out of that mix and Atlanta adding a player of theirs going to San Diego. Make it a true 3 team trade. I know, the Reds would have to substitute a player in place of Roenicke and I would suggest Drew Stubbs.

San Diego overplayed their hand with Atlanta and it cost them. Now they are supposedly talking with the Cubs and Orioles in a three way but the deal is less than what they would have gotten from Atlanta. San Diego is looking for pitching prospects in a deal for Peavy, which Atlanta and the Cubs really don't have alot of depth. As long as Vasquez, Cueto, Harang and Arroyo aren't in the deal, everything else is negotiable.

WMR
12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I would rather have Stubbs than Francoeur.

Check the defensive metrics Big Klu posted in another thread. Combine that with his offensive game...

Krusty
12-09-2008, 07:35 AM

Check the defensive metrics Big Klu posted in another thread. Combine that with his offensive game...

Stubbs is another year away before even making the roster. Plus, there is still flaws in his game. If you can acquire Francoeur and keep Stubbs in the process, better yet.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-09-2008, 07:50 AM

Stubbs reminds me alot of former Reds highly regarded (at that time) minor leaguer Chris Denorfia in ability both have/had in the minors. I'll take Francoeur everytime. Lot of people down on Francoeur for one poor season. Stubbs remains an unknown quantity at the ML level. Denorfia- hurt alot, numbers didn't translate to the majors.

Raisor
12-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Wait, once we got Peavy, we'd be trading him to the Braves. For Francoeur?

Really?

WMR
12-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Stubbs reminds me alot of former Reds highly regarded (at that time) minor leaguer Chris Denorfia in ability both have/had in the minors. I'll take Francoeur everytime. Lot of people down on Francoeur for one poor season. Stubbs remains an unknown quantity at the ML level. Denorfia- hurt alot, numbers didn't translate to the majors.

I'm not down on Francoeur because of one season. He has been the same free-swinger his entire career. The rest of MLB finally realized that there is zero reason whatsoever to throw the guy a strike. He will get himself out as long as you let him do so.

WMR
12-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Really?

:D

Strikes Out Looking
12-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I think the Reds should do whatever they can to keep Peavy away from the Cubs or any other NL Central team as long as it doesn't blow up the Reds core youngsters.

What I really don't understand is SD's desire to get rid of Peavy. He is under their control for long enough that they can rebuild with him around--and lets face it, the chance they find another Jake Peavy in their system or via trade is slim to none.

RFS62
12-09-2008, 08:20 AM

Really?

Well, we'd probably have to throw in some cash too, ya know.

:p:

pahster
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Oh, he's had more than one bad season...

RedEye
12-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Okay, let me have it.

I think if the Braves could have gotten Peavy for Escobar and Francoeur they would already have done so.

westofyou
12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3755667

Peavy and his agent, Barry Axelrod, have made it clear to the Padres that the 27-year-old right-hander has no interest in expanding the list of cities Peavy is willing to waive his no-trade clause to play in.

Either Peavy is going to be traded to the Cubs real, real soon. Or he's going to be staying in San Diego. Period.

Jpup
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3755667

then you see him pitching in another uniform before April. I still can't imagine any reason San Diego would trade the guy. It would be like the Cardinals trading Pujols. Why would you do that?

blumj
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
then you see him pitching in another uniform before April. I still can't imagine any reason San Diego would trade the guy. It would be like the Cardinals trading Pujols. Why would you do that?
Because you don't have the money to pay his salary.

Jpup
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Because you don't have the money to pay his salary.

I can't believe that is remotely true.

Krusty
12-10-2008, 06:24 PM
How about this:

Reds trade Homer Bailey to the Cubs for Mark DeRosa.

Cubs trade Bailey and others to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

reds44
12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Denorfia doesn't have half the talent Stubbs does.

Raisor
12-10-2008, 06:29 PM
How about this:

Reds trade Homer Bailey to the Cubs for Mark DeRosa.

Cubs trade Bailey and others to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

I wouldn't mind picking up DeRosa, but not if it helps the Cubs get Peavy.