PDA

View Full Version : What would Homer have fetched in a trade before he was called up?

ThatPitchIsDunn
12-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Highlifeman and I were discussing this the other day, so I thought it was an interesting idea to throw out there:

Pre 2007 call-up, what do you think Homer Bailey would have brought back to the Reds? I'm basing this on what you think baseball's perception of him was at the time, as if we're going by RZ threads then, the talks would start at Beckett, Ellsbury, Pedroia and Youkilis for Mr. Bailey straight up.

Granted, our needs were different a year and a half ago, as we didn't know the status of Joey Votto or Jay Bruce, who are now easily pencilled in at two starting positions. Same goes for Chris Dickerson, even though I think his starting is in a platoon (although if the O's rumors with Hernandez coming back are true, his platoon better not be with Norris freaking Hopper).

I think we could have lured Alex Rios here with very minimal prospect additions with the AAA/superhype Homer Bailey. Scarily enough, that probably would have meant Jerry put Junior Griffey back in center :nono:

Orenda
12-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I think his value would have been similar to Matt Garza before he got dealt for Delmon Young. I think its doubtful many teams would have given up a young established MLB player such as Rios, but he probably could have been involved in a top prospect swap or a deal for a good veteran.

I don't think its unrealistic for Homer to raise his status considerably this year. If he is having a good season mid-way through his AAA season there would be plenty of suitors