PDA

View Full Version : I'll Beat You in Euchre, Son

Screwball
12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I love me some online euchre. Given all your guys' (mine) onliine habits (What the hell's the real world?), I was wondering if anybody plays euchre as well. I hope this doesn't break "protocol", but my main site is Hardwood Euchre (http://www.hardwoodeuchre.com/) (funny name, right?). But i also play at pogo.com.

Any of you guys play?

camisadelgolf
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I've never played online, but I play with my family all the time. We're crazy about it. If you need a partner some time, let me know.

OldRightHander
12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I play at pogo occasionally. I haven't played in a while though.

paintmered
12-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I used to play online at Yahoo but haven't since I graduated from school. Bid Euchre is the standard card game for my family.

Cyclone792
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
When I was in undergrad, I'd play it online on Yahoo periodically while killing time between classes. I think I had around a 70 percent winning percentage or thereabouts.

I still play occasionally in person with some friends, but not all that often. I've been pretty rusty playing it recently though.

PedroBourbon
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Played a lot of cribbage on Yahoo in the past. Haven't in probably 3 years since. Euchre is huge in my wife's family. We play every get together from birthday's to christmas. I had never played it before, I usually just watch as they are much more experienced at it.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Are these sites free?

I've played euchre enough to know what's going on, but I still don't understand how someone can be really good at it. Isn't it mostly catching cards?

OldRightHander
12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Pogo is free.

Screwball
12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Are these sites free?

I've played euchre enough to know what's going on, but I still don't understand how someone can be really good at it. Isn't it mostly catching cards?

Like ORH said, pogo is free. Hardwood has a free 30 day trial period, but costs about $25 to keep playing after that.

As to your second question, oddly enough it isn't about just catching cards. I used to think that and saw my rating plummet when I first started online. After a few pointers and lessons from experience, I learned that euchre is a lot like poker in that aggressiveness pays off, and there's definitely some strategy as to how to play certain hands to maximize points. I won't go into detail and bore everyone to death, but suffice it to say that sitting around waiting for that lay down loner to come won't win you too many games.

redsfan30
12-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I play euchre all the time. Six handed bid euchre is my extended family's game of choice...it's a blast.

As mentioned earlier, if anyone ever needs an online partner, just let me know.

paintmered
12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I play euchre all the time. Six handed bid euchre is my extended family's game of choice...it's a blast.

Euchre with twice the strategic possibilities. It's my game of choice. :)

Screwball
12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
When I was in undergrad, I'd play it online on Yahoo periodically while killing time between classes. I think I had around a 70 percent winning percentage or thereabouts.

That's an exceptional winning percentage. Musta been in cahoots with Raisor. ;)

bucksfan
12-09-2008, 05:25 PM
It is our card game of choice, but I don't play it (or honestly any) games online. My wife and I played another couple Saturday night after a small soccer banquet for the league our kids were in. It was guys vs. girls, and the guys won overwhelmingly! :)
There certainly is some amount of strategy, and I agree that aggressive is nearly always the way to play. I have only played turn-up (now the norm for us), and bid - both with the standard deck. I would be interested to understand more about the 6-handed version.

Razor Shines
12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I used to play euchre online all the time when I was in school. I started playing poker online and kind of forgot about it, but reading this thread made me remember how much fun euchre was. Now I usually only play on the holidays with family, but I'll have to set aside some time to get back into it online.

Cyclone792
12-09-2008, 06:10 PM
That's an exceptional winning percentage. Musta been in cahoots with Raisor. ;)

That was several years ago; it's gone down since then. I just went online and looked ... and I've won 61 percent of my games in just over 1,000 hands. I played for the first time online in a year and promptly lost three games. Now I'm slightly annoyed.

:lol:

George Anderson
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Back in high school in the 80's, euchre was the craze.

It's funny though because it is pretty a game played only in the midwest. I have never found anyone living on the coasts who knows how to play.

Screwball
12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Anybody ever play British rules, with the joker and what not? Not a fan of that at all.

Also, anybody see any good names online? I just came across ILiquorYouEuchre. 'Bout split my gut.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Love it. Used to play it all the time with the guys when when we got together, but we've fallen into the Poker frenzy and now play that most of the time.

VR
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I love me some online euchre. Given all your guys' (mine) onliine habits (What the hell's the real world?), I was wondering if anybody plays euchre as well. I hope this doesn't break "protocol", but my main site is Hardwood Euchre (http://www.hardwoodeuchre.com/) (funny name, right?). But i also play at pogo.com.

Any of you guys play?

Some day, and that day may never come, I'll hook up w/ you and play. Just a warning, I'm really really good at euchre.:beerme:

Screwball
12-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Some day, and that day may never come, I'll hook up w/ you and play. Just a warning, I'm really really good at euchre.:beerme:

Deal 'em! :thumbup:

I usually play well into the wee hours of the morning, so if anybody's got a case of insomia and looking to kill some time, drop on by and maybe we can play a quick game or twelve. :)

goreds2
12-23-2008, 05:40 AM
I learned to play Euchre in college as well as drinking beer and living on MAC and Cheese for a week. I have never played Euchre online.

TeamBoone
12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I love it too and also play on Pogo.