PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Here is the recap of the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-9-08

Marty and Thom were the hosts.

They started out by talking about how Joe didn't get in the HOF and they think Kubek getting in may help Joe since Kubek was the first analyst to go in.

They talked about the potential Freel trade which was confirmed later in the show.

They reported that the Reds signed Livan Hernandez. Thom was giddy about that.

They said there was no news on Dye and both GMs are denying a deal is or was in place. Marty said Hal got some bad info.

They said there is a rumor that the Phils may try to get Mark DeRosa from the Cubs since Utley will be on the shelf to start the season. They speculated if that happens, Brian Roberts may finally go to the Cubs.

Marty said that a CHI talk show guy has said that Dunn's agent has been calling Jim Hendry and letting him know that Dunn wants to play for the Cubs but the feeling isn't mutual.

They said that ST tickets will go on sale Jan. 17.

One caller felt the Freel trade would backfire because of the young talent the Reds are giving up.

Another caller felt it would be a good trade.

Someone asked about Oliver Perez. They both said when he's on he's good but he's pretty expensive.

A caller asked if the ST deal in AZ was still on because of the bad economy. Thom said they are building the stadium now and all systems are go.

Someone asked if the Reds were still interested in Furcal. Marty said he's probably too expensive. He also said that Gonzo's status health wise is a mystery.

A caller asked if the Reds had interest in Kevn Mench and/or Juan Rivera.

Marty talked a little about the ST schedule.

A caller said that he heard that Hernandez was a problem in the clubhouse. Thom said he hadn't heard that about him.

Someone wanted to know if Buck Showalter would be a better manager than Dusty since his teams were good fundamentally. Marty can't stand him and called him a tyrant. Thom said few managers prepare teams as well as Buck but he's had 3 gigs. Marty said he's satisfied with Big Dust as manager.

Another caller wanted to know if Homer will stay or go.

Another caller said it has been quite a while since the Reds have had such a pool of good young pitchers.

Raisor
12-09-2008, 09:04 PM

Marty and Thom read RZ!!

Hi guys!

I've always liked you!

Really!

I'm not kidding!

CougarQuest
12-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Soooooooo......
Did the Reds undo the non-signing and now they have actually signed him or are Thom and Marty behind the updated information?

Benihana
12-09-2008, 09:09 PM
They said there is a rumor that the Phils may try to get Mark DeRosa from the Cubs since Utley will be on the shelf to start the season. They speculated if that happens, Brian Roberts may finally go to the Cubs.

Marty said that a CHI talk show guy has said that Dunn's agent has been calling Jim Hendry and letting him know that Dunn wants to play for the Cubs but the feeling isn't mutual.

Can you imagine if the Cubs somehow landed Peavy, Roberts, and Dunn?!

I know they'd "still be the Cubs" and all, but jeez. They already won almost 100 games last year.

Chip R
12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Soooooooo......
Did the Reds undo the non-signing and now they have actually signed him or are Thom and Marty behind the updated information?

They better break the news to Thom gently. You hate to see a grow man cry.

membengal
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
The absolute highlight of the portion I caught while driving around Memphis during the show? The caller that poked Marty on Buck Showalter. It only would have been better if Marty had launched into the "Furious Anger" recitation from Jules in Pulp Fiction in response. High comedy.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-10-2008, 09:26 AM
At one point Thom was incredulous that there were never talks between the Reds and Mets for Cordero late last year, because they would be getting a solid closer for cheap (compared to what they would eventually have to pay for on the open market).

Does he not understand that Cordero and KRod are making about the same?

An Livan Hernandez? I found it humerous that Thom went on and on about what a great signing he was for the Reds. First of all, it would be a horrendous signing. Secondly, it was bogus info.

Krusty
12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
This is the latest from Sports Illustrated's Jon Heyman:

LAS VEGAS -- A person familiar with the White Sox's thinking said late Monday night, "The Jermaine Dye trades are dead ... for tonight, anyway.''

The Rays, Braves and Reds are among 10 teams to express interest in Dye. The White Sox already have traded Javier Vazquez and Nick Swisher, and are letting shortstop Orlando Cabrera leave as a free agent.

They'd consider dealing Dye, but surely not for fallen Reds pitching prospect Homer Bailey. They'd need a lot more than that for a middle-of-the-order hitter like Dye.

The White Sox are always one of the most aggressive, creative teams, so it will be interesting to see whether they will utilize all their new-found spending money.

Chip R
12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry, no full report this week. I could have sworn it recorded it but I guess not.

Mario-Rijo
12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Sorry, no full report this week. I could have sworn it recorded it but I guess not.

No biggie thanks anyway.

Raisor
12-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Having to listen to it twice was slowly killing you.

You're better off.