PDA

View Full Version : What about Kearns? Since Washington has plenty of outfielders!!

redsfan4445
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I was thinking if the Reds cant get a Right handed hitter they want, Washington has a glut of RH outfielders!! Possibly Taveras to play CF they have these as extras!!

:Josh Willingham,
Lastings Milledge,
Austin Kearns
Elijah Dukes
and Wily Mo Pena!!

Would that work if they made one available?

Mario-Rijo
12-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I was thinking if the Reds cant get a Right handed hitter they want, Washington has a glut of RH outfielders!! Possibly Taveras to play CF they have these as extras!!

:Josh Willingham,
Lastings Milledge,
Austin Kearns
Elijah Dukes
and Wily Mo Pena!!

Would that work if they made one available?

I'd like to target Milledge. Kearns would probably not workout due to his feelings when he left.

Tom Servo
12-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd consider it but only if Washington kicked back some cash on his contract. It did seem like Austin was finally putting it together as a Red in 06 before the trade.

AmarilloRed
12-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Kearns also starts to get expensive next year. 8 million for 2009, with a 10 million 2010 option. A high price tag for not much production.

*BaseClogger*
12-10-2008, 01:28 AM
I'd love to have one of Willingham or Dukes in LF next season. Milledge would be a good pickup too if he came cheaply, but I doubt Jimbo will trade an OF...

Topcat
12-10-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd love to have one of Willingham or Dukes in LF next season. Milledge would be a good pickup too if he came cheaply, but I doubt Jimbo will trade an OF...

I never want any part of Elijah Dukes on My Red's ever.:thumbdown

Krusty
12-10-2008, 07:17 AM
How many outfielders does Bowden need to have? Latest rumor was a Taveras for Redding deal with Colorado that was struck down when the Nationals wanted another player. Now they are talking about Adam Dunn.

cumberlandreds
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
ESPN ran a bottom line note that the Nats were going to make a significant offer to Texiera. So add another to the pile.

Scrap Irony
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Dukes would be a good choice, IMO. So would Milledge.

Bowden's likely not dealing Willingham, as he just dealt for him (though that's what happened in Cincinnati for former All Star Yankee closer John Wetteland. From the Dodgers to the Reds to New York all without playing for Cincinnati.

Pena's power bat also intrigues me as bench ballast and corner OF help in case of injury. What would a platoon of Pena and Dickserson look like in LF? What's the over/under on BA as it compares to Dunn's career mark?

RedEye
12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I was crestfallen when Willingham went to the Nats. I really wanted Walt to target him. Dukes is tempting, but so is drinking Coke at every meal.

TRF
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Dukes has waaaaaay more upside than milledge. He's more of a power bat, and can take a BB too. project last year to 550 AB's and he BB's 100 times. His power will only mature and he's pretty fast to boot. 13 SB's in less than 280 AB's

outstanding target. I'd offer Stubbs and Thompson/Maloney. I think JimBo would bite on that too.

Scrap Irony
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
It's not his bat I'm worried about maturing. It's his brain.

Dukes has a serious, serious anger management issue. Add to that a penchant for injury and a team definately needs a solid fourth OF, which, with Dickerson and/ or Hairston, the Reds would have.

(Assuming, again, Cincinnati goes after another OF or three.)

TRF
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
It's not his bat I'm worried about maturing. It's his brain.

Dukes has a serious, serious anger management issue. Add to that a penchant for injury and a team definately needs a solid fourth OF, which, with Dickerson and/ or Hairston, the Reds would have.

(Assuming, again, Cincinnati goes after another OF or three.)

yeah, but you never hear of athletes in Cincinnati getting in trouble.

wait...

I meant athletes with the Reds. He seemed to get that anger in check with the Nats. He could be maturing as a person.

Scrap Irony
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
He held his temper in check until he didn't. His attitude continues to be questionable.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
yeah, but you never hear of athletes in Cincinnati getting in trouble.

wait...

I meant athletes with the Reds. He seemed to get that anger in check with the Nats. He could be maturing as a person.

Freel got in trouble in Kentucky a few years ago if memory serves correctly.

Kearns is excited about the thought of being reunited with his former Reds teammates Griffey Jr. and Dunn in the Nationals outfield, especially with former close buddy: Adam. No way I want Austin back in Cincinnati. The shine on his once promising career has long ago worn off.

chicoruiz
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't know who there would be left in this organization that Kearns would have ill feelings toward. The problem with him is more in the category of that pesky "being-able-to-play-baseball" thing. It's hard to imagine a team with him in an outfield corner contending.

Krusty
12-11-2008, 05:31 AM
If the Nationals acquire Willy Taveras today in the revived trade talks with the Rockies, that gives them two centerfielders in Willy Taveras and Lastings Milledge. Add to that you have Josh Willingham, Elijah Dukes and Austin Kearns as the corner outfielders. You have to figure one of these guys will be available in a trade for pitching.

I wonder what the price would be to acquire Milledge to patrol centerfield for the Reds?

Mario-Rijo
12-11-2008, 09:20 AM
If the Nationals acquire Willy Taveras today in the revived trade talks with the Rockies, that gives them two centerfielders in Willy Taveras and Lastings Milledge. Add to that you have Josh Willingham, Elijah Dukes and Austin Kearns as the corner outfielders. You have to figure one of these guys will be available in a trade for pitching.

I wonder what the price would be to acquire Milledge to patrol centerfield for the Reds?

IDK but I'd be all over that.

lollipopcurve
12-11-2008, 09:25 AM
If Dukes ever settles down -- and people tend to do that as they get older -- he could be exactly the kind of hitter the Reds are looking for.

Benihana
12-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I would like to get Milledge, although I thought Jocketty won't deal with Bowden.