PDA

View Full Version : Hairston

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Three Teams Interested In Hairston by Tim Dierkes [December 9 at 11:37pm CST]
According to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon, the Reds and two other teams have shown serious interest in free agent Jerry Hairston Jr. He's present at the Meetings until tomorrow, and could sign before they end. The Reds talked to Hairston's agent Monday but not today.

The Phillies have been linked to Hairston in past reports.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Hairston update
Activity has picked up lately surrounding free agent infielder/outfielder Jerry Hairston Jr.

A baseball source told MLB.com that three teams, including the Reds, have shown serious interest in signing Hairston. It's possible that he could reach a deal with a team before the end of the Winter Meetings.

On Tuesday, Hairston was spotted walking through the Bellagio Hotel where the Winter Meetings are being held.

The Reds held talks with Hairston's agent, Casey Close, on Monday but no negotiations with Cincinnati general manager Walt Jocketty came on Tuesday. Hairston is expected to return home to Arizona on Wednesday morning.

--- Mark Sheldon Posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM
http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/hairston_update.html

looks like we may know if we'll have him back today. we'll have a problem if he's not.

freestyle55
12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd like to see a 1 year deal, 2 at the most, $2-3 M per. Just can't be sure we'll get last year's Hairston, or the one from years previous...

dsmith421
12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd like to see a 1 year deal, 2 at the most, $2-3 M per. Just can't be sure we'll get last year's Hairston, or the one from years previous...

He's certainly a useful player when healthy and when seeing the ball. Unfortunately he's failed to do either with any consistency in his career. I think we should let him go.

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 12:04 PM
if he's not back than who would you propose should backup or platoon with dickerson?
he's the closest we'd have to a leadoff hitter so who would leadoff instead?

Redsfan08
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
we need this guy

Bip Roberts
12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I really hope we sign him long term worth like 6 mill per year.

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I really hope we sign him long term worth like 6 mill per year.

hondo is that you??

dsmith421
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
if he's not back than who would you propose should backup or platoon with dickerson?
he's the closest we'd have to a leadoff hitter so who would leadoff instead?

I don't believe in the magical "leadoff hitter", I don't think it takes any particular skill to hit leadoff vis-a-vis any other spot in the order, and Hairston wasn't Rickey Henderson anyway. I'd hit Phillips leadoff.

As for Dickerson's platoon partner, I'm frankly not sure. But we just successfully dumped one injury-prone player with a terrible contract (Freel) so I'm not sure why it would make sense to hand another one out.

WildcatFan
12-10-2008, 03:32 PM
You have to think we'll get at least one outfielder this offseason not named Hairston. I'd be surprised if Wilkin Castillo doesn't make the 25-man roster out of spring training. That would mean (outfielder)-Dickerson-Bruce across the outfield with Norris Hopper as a bench replacement. Put Keppinger at short to start the season, eventually to go back to an infield utility role once Gonzalez gets back, and how much would you be willing to pay for Hairston as a CF platoon/fourth utility guy?

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
$2 million maybe $2.5

WildcatFan
12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Agreed. If he can be had for that, Jock should snatch him.

Emin3mShady07
12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't believe in the magical "leadoff hitter", I don't think it takes any particular skill to hit leadoff vis-a-vis any other spot in the order, and Hairston wasn't Rickey Henderson anyway. I'd hit Phillips leadoff.

As for Dickerson's platoon partner, I'm frankly not sure. But we just successfully dumped one injury-prone player with a terrible contract (Freel) so I'm not sure why it would make sense to hand another one out.

You are right that there isn't really any magic to the leadoff spot. Last year, my team put Nick Swisher in the leadoff spot for about a month and he posted a .354 OBP in that spot, which was better than any other player on the white sox was able to do from that point on. Does Swish look like a leadoff hitter or have speed? No, but he was the best the sox had and our dumb **** of a manager, made a switch because t didn't "have the right feel." As for hitting Phillips first, I think that may be a bad idea. Phillips is a good hitter, but his career high OBP in the bigs is .331, and OBP is extremely important in the leadoff position. Dickerson has a career OBP of .361 in the minors and it is isoD driven as opposed to batting average driven, which means it is driven by a good eye and walks for the most part don't slump. I'd say give dickerson a chance because at this point what other options does Cincy have?

CesarGeronimo
12-11-2008, 09:16 AM

I've wondered if Phillips would have the willingness and ability to raise his on base percentage if the Reds made him their leadoff hitter and emphasized that what they need is for him to get on base, not try to hit home runs.

CesarGeronimo
12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
You have to think we'll get at least one outfielder this offseason not named Hairston. I'd be surprised if Wilkin Castillo doesn't make the 25-man roster out of spring training. That would mean (outfielder)-Dickerson-Bruce across the outfield with Norris Hopper as a bench replacement. Put Keppinger at short to start the season, eventually to go back to an infield utility role once Gonzalez gets back, and how much would you be willing to pay for Hairston as a CF platoon/fourth utility guy?

If you have that group of players, don't you think Dusty would start Hairston, not Dickerson? I do.

CRedsLarkin11
12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I like Hairston if he is going to be the super sub type player but I fear Dusty would turn him into an everyday starter. There are also these rumors that the Reds are looking at Rivera, Burrell and Baldelli, bleh! I think I just threw up in my mouth

WildcatFan
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
If you have that group of players, don't you think Dusty would start Hairston, not Dickerson? I do.

That's definitely a possibility, particularly at the beginning of the season. I think it would be more along the lines of a true platoon, with Dusty riding the hot bat at the moment. I say if you can get a platoon leadoff/CF guy like Hairston for $3 million or less, go for it. Problem is, I could see Hairston looking for a multi-year deal, which I would not be a fan of unless we know that he will be taking Hopper's super-sub role.

redsfandan
12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Reds notebook Bruce doing his part to lure Hairston
By John Fay December 13, 2008

Call Jay Bruce a six-tool player. He can hit, hit for power, throw, field, run and lobby. The lobbying part has come into play in the offseason. Bruce is trying to persuade Jerry Hairston Jr. to return to the Reds. "I've been talking to Jerry a lot," Bruce said Friday at Redsfest. "He should come back. He'd play center, lead off, and we'd win."

Bruce said Hairston is considering Seattle and Philadelphia as well as the Reds. The Reds probably would offer the most playing time to Hairston, but these things often come down to money. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty didn't think the Reds could get a deal done with Hairston before the weekend was over. "Probably not," Jocketty said. "We'll work on it next week."

Hairston hit .326 with six home runs, 36 RBI and 15 steals in 80 games with the Reds. The club went 25-19 in games he started. He spent three stints on the disabled list - once with a broken thumb, twice with hamstring strains.

WildcatFan
12-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm sold. It's always interesting to get the take of a player not involved in off-season dealings about who he wants on his team.