PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Acquire Edwin Jackson

reds44
12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
9:32 p.m. — Source: Tigers to aqcuire Edwin Jackson
The Detroit Tigers are set to acquire right-hander Edwin Jackson from the Tampa Bay Rays for outfielder Matt Joyce, according to a major-league source.

Tampa Bay, with David Price on the way, had a surplus of starting pitching. Jackson, 25, was 14-11 this year with a 4.25 ERA.

In exchange the Rays get a 24-year-old, left-handed-hitting corner outfielder who hit 12 homers in 242 at-bats. -- Ed Price

-Rosenthal

This would seem to take the Rays out of the Hermida sweepstakes.

Caveat Emperor
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
This would seem to take the Rays out of the Hermida sweepstakes.

Unless Hermida suddenly discovered an ambidextrous twin brother, I doubt the Reds have much interest either.

blumj
12-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe they should only target switch hitters for a few years so they won't have to even think about handedness for a while.

Jpup
12-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Maybe they should only target switch hitters for a few years so they won't have to even think about handedness for a while.

Milton Bradley. :beerme:

Degenerate39
12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I would've liked to have had Edwin Jackson as the 5th starter.

LvJ
12-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Go get Gross.

jojo
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
The Rays are smart. This is a great deal for them.

RedsManRick
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Good move by the Rays to sell high on Jackson. With his peripherals, 2008 is quite possibly going to be the best season of his career.

Joyce has very real power and moved up the ladder very steadily without any setbacks. He reminds me of a slightly more advanced Danny Dorn, including the platoon splits.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2008, 12:48 AM
This might give us a good idea of what Homer Bailey is worth. I see a lot of similarities between Bailey and Jackson.

RedsManRick
12-11-2008, 01:02 AM
This might give us a good idea of what Homer Bailey is worth. I see a lot of similarities between Bailey and Jackson.

Well, Jackson is where Bailey might be in 2 years if he gets traded and then puts up back to back mediocre, mercurial major league seasons.

To Bailey's credit, he's had much more success in the upper minors than Jackson ever had. Another reason the Rays were smart is that as soon as Jackson goes in to arbitration next year he ceases to be of much value at all. The bulk of his value is in his ability to eat innings for dirt cheap. I think we'll be talking about him as a non-tender guy in 2 years.

Krusty
12-11-2008, 02:12 AM
The Tigers still need a closer. Trading Joyce for Jackson only is another indication that they could be on the verge of signing former Rockies closer Brian Fuentes.