PDA

View Full Version : Mets Mariners Indians BIG trade wed. night

wally post
12-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I should've put this into the winter meetings thread - sorry!

It is now firm.
from http://www.metsblog.com/:

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the original version of this deal involved the Tigers and Reds in place of the Mets and Indians.
Instead, the Rays traded Edwin Jackson to the Tigers, which was reported two hours ago on FoxSports.com, and the Mets and Indians slipped in to complete a deal with the M’s.
…brilliant, omar…brilliant…in fact, from what i was just told, Omar Minaya got the call about this deal in the moments following today’s press conference to announce Francisco Rodriguez…

Update, 11:26 PM:

The Mets just announced that Omar Minaya will address reporters from the podium at the Bellagio in the next hour, where he will announce the acquisition of J.J. Putz from the Mariners.

Update, 11:12 PM:

The deal is done, according to Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports.com, “J.J. Putz is headed to New York in a three-team trade with the Mariners and Indians,” according to major-league sources.
The Mets will get J.J. Putz, OF Jeremy Reed and reliever Sean Green; The Mariners will get Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez, 1B Mike Carp and OF Franklin Gutierrez, plus minor leaguers from the Indians; The Indians will get RHP Joe Smith and infielder Luis Valbuena.

Mario-Rijo
12-10-2008, 11:57 PM
How exactly would that fit together with the Reds and Tigers? I mean how would the Reds have gained anything unless perhaps Beltre was involved? Reed doesn't help much so I can only assume it would have been more than that coming our way if the Tigers got Putz which I assume they were in it for. I don't get this, Maybe Reed and Gutierrez?

wally post
12-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I think the reporter is just drawing a line (that may or may not exists) between talks. I feel good to know we are in on discussions. I personally suspect it was loose connection that he made. Definitely odd... but i think that IS how trades are developed; Teams discuss - then embrace certain ideas, and then that can lead to another deal that wasn't originally intentioned because of the past talks. Kinda like going to a car dealer to buy a sports car and driving out with a station wagon. Does that makes sense?? :D

savafan
12-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I hope the Reds are still looking for station wagons that drive like sports cars

Reds Fanatic
12-11-2008, 12:26 AM
This lists all 12 players in the deal

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28168207/

LAS VEGAS - The New York Mets obtained J.J. Putz from Seattle on Wednesday night as part of a three-team, 12-player trade that gives them a setup man for new closer Francisco Rodriguez.

New York dealt seven players — six to the Mariners and one to Cleveland — to get three back in a huge swap at baseball’s winter meetings.

The Mets shipped reliever Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez, lefty Jason Vargas and three minor leaguers to the Mariners for Putz, center fielder Jeremy Reed and reliever Sean Green in the first trade by new Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik.

Promising outfielder Franklin Gutierrez was sent from the Indians to Seattle. Cleveland gets reliever Joe Smith from the Mets and 23-year-old second baseman Luis Valbuena from Seattle.

An All-Star in 2007 when he saved 40 games, Putz was 6-5 with a 3.88 ERA and 15 saves in 23 chances last season, when he missed long stretches with ribcage and elbow injuries. His agent, Craig Landis, said Putz wants to remain a closer.

“He’s one of the top five or 10 closers in the game,” Landis said. “No, he would not want to be a setup man.”

The only current heir apparent in Seattle to be Putz’s replacement as closer is Brandon Morrow. He was the fill-in closer this season when Putz was out with elbow problems.

Heilman was inconsistent in his setup role with the Mets and preferred to be a starter. He was 3-8 with a 5.21 ERA last season and was among the bullpen culprits as New York folded in September for the second straight season. Smith, a submarine-style right-hander, was 6-3 with a 3.55 ERA.

Chavez, known for his clutch catches, batted .267 with 12 RBIs in 270 at-bats.

Gutierrez, also considered an excellent defensive player, batted .248 with eight homers and 41 RBIs.

The three minor leaguers New York sent to Seattle were first baseman Mike Carp, right-hander Maikel Cleto and outfielder Ezequiel Carrera.

Benihana
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
It was the Rays and The Tigers, not the Reds who were initially involved. Instead they did the Edwin Jackson trade internally.

RedsManRick
12-11-2008, 01:22 AM
The Mets bullpen just got really good, really quick. It will be interesting to see what they do with their rotation. I could see them ending up with Lowe.

Jpup
12-11-2008, 01:23 AM
The Mets bullpen just got really good, really quick. It will be interesting to see what they do with their rotation. I could see them ending up with Lowe.

I would guess that Putz is trade bait.

RedsManRick
12-11-2008, 01:26 AM
I would guess that Putz is trade bait.

They talked about wanting to bring in a shutdown setup guy before they lost Wagner. I have no doubt they want him in their bullpen. They were apparently chasing Huston Street yesterday.

Jpup
12-11-2008, 01:29 AM
They talked about wanting to bring in a shutdown setup guy before they lost Wagner. I have no doubt they want him in their bullpen. They were apparently chasing Huston Street yesterday.

Hes one of the top five or 10 closers in the game, Landis said. No, he would not want to be a setup man.

RedsManRick
12-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Hes one of the top five or 10 closers in the game, Landis said. No, he would not want to be a setup man.

Did Putz have to approve the trade? If so, I find it odd that he'd accept the trade on the premise he'd be dealt again. If not, his role isn't really his choice.

That said, I think he's a bet to be a more effective pitcher in '09 than Rodriguez. But he can go more than one inning and F-Rod got the big bucks, so you can bet how they'll be used.

Krusty
12-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Love these slobber-knocker deals.

Good deal for the Mets and Mariners. Gutierrez is a solid outfielder that Seattle got from the Tribe and will only get better. But the Mets bullpen went from a question mark to an exclamation point going into next season.

jojo
12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Did Putz have to approve the trade?

No he didn't unfortunately for him. He has 5 years service time and the Ms didn't give him no trade rights when they bought out his arb years.

That said, I think he's a bet to be a more effective pitcher in '09 than Rodriguez. But he can go more than one inning and F-Rod got the big bucks, so you can bet how they'll be used.

Putz was a phenomenal reliever before last season-I'd argue one of the most effective in the game. I'll miss him. But last year was injury riddled and he wasn't the same (I'm not sure he'll ever be the Putz of '06 ad '07 again). I like Putz ALOT though.

The Mets pen just got very expensive over the last few days and it's not without injury concerns. On paper it's scary though.

jojo
12-11-2008, 09:09 AM
The Ms GM discusses the trade. (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/SEATTLE-WA/KJR-AM/Elise_2008-12-10_Jack%20Zduriencik.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=SEATTLE-WA&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=645&STATION_ID=KJR-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Elise_Woodward&PCAST_CAT=Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=Elise_Woodward)

WVRed
12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't understand this from Cleveland's perspective.

Guiterrez has potential. Doesn't seem like the guy they got back has that much upside.

jojo
12-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't understand this from Cleveland's perspective.

Guiterrez has potential. Doesn't seem like the guy they got back has that much upside.

Sizemore pretty much blocks him in center and they've got a couple of guys emerging that can handle right (i.e. Choo).

Also, Valbuena has a real chance to be a contributor at second for them.

They basically traded a guy that was expendable to them to get some parts that might be pretty helpful.

Sea Ray
12-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Now that you've had a little time to digest this Jojo, as a Mariner fan, do you like this trade?

jojo
12-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Now that you've had a little time to digest this Jojo, as a Mariner fan, do you like this trade?

I do. The Ms made themselves better. I'll miss Putz but the Putz i'll miss probably was already a bit of a memory.

I think the Ms are shaping up to have a competent FO and I think Zduriencik gets it.

Really though, all I want for Christmas is an extension for Beltre.

Sea Ray
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I do. The Ms made themselves better. I'll miss Putz but the Putz i'll miss probably was already a bit of a memory.

I think the Ms are shaping up to have a competent FO and I think Zduriencik gets it.

Really though, all I want for Christmas is an extension for Beltre.

Are the M's penciling in Brandon Marrow for closer? Weren't they preparing him to start toward the end of last year? I think he's best suited to close myself.

jojo
12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Are the M's penciling in Brandon Marrow for closer? Weren't they preparing him to start toward the end of last year? I think he's best suited to close myself.

He'd be much more valuable if he could make the transition to the rotation. I don't think their FO has made a decision but I bet (hope) they're leaning toward using him as a starter.

Sea Ray
12-12-2008, 09:42 PM
He'd be much more valuable if he could make the transition to the rotation. I don't think their FO has made a decision but I bet (hope) they're leaning toward using him as a starter.

If Morrow starts then who do the Mariners have to close?

jojo
12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
If Morrow starts then who do the Mariners have to close?

If Weathers could spend a season closing, the Ms ought to be able to figure something out.

Sea Ray
12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I agree, a #1 pick like Morrow, if he can start he really ought to. I would think Morrow would be a better starting pitcher than RA Dickey...

*BaseClogger*
12-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Zduriencik

I'd rather be stuck in a cage with a hungry tiger than attempt to pronounce that name...

jojo
12-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I'd rather be stuck in a cage with a hungry tiger than attempt to pronounce that name...

There will be a few "Army of Darkness" moments in the Ms broadcast booth no doubt.

Clatto! Verata! Nn... Necktie, necturn, nickle... noodle. It's an 'n' word. It's definitely an 'n' word. It was definatly an 'n' word! Clatto! Verata! Nn (exagerated clearig throat, cough).

Mario-Rijo
12-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Zuh-ren-zick I believe it is, correct JoJo?

jojo
12-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Zuh-ren-zick I believe it is, correct JoJo?

Zuh-ren-rut-ro!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KnGDIATTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg