PDA

View Full Version : Majewski, Hopper, & Belisle non-tendered, Hopper re-signed

Benihana
12-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Hallelujah!

Tom Servo
12-12-2008, 07:51 PM
C Trent:
* I just talked to Walt during the break. I asked him about the non-tendered players. He said they have to wait to announce them. He laughed when I asked if I could read into who is and isn't here. Edwin Encarnacion is here, Gary Majewski and Matt Belisle aren't.

:beerme:

Will M
12-12-2008, 07:52 PM
:thumbup:

RedLegSuperStar
12-12-2008, 07:56 PM
C Trent is blogging here from Redsfest and emailed Tim at mlbtraderumors.com. Arthur Rhodes is also here which was pretty neat. Edwin is here which indicates he'll be offered arbitration.

remdog
12-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Yippie!

Now, make sure that no one, I mean even the clubhouse guys, talks to their agents. Do not, under any circumstances, do anything even like sending them a Christmas card.

Rem

Mario-Rijo
12-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Sweet! That also frees up what 1 or 2 spots on the 40 man, Belisle was on the 40 man wasn't he?

RedEye
12-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm glad to see Majewski go, but I have to say I'm a bit melancholy about Belisle. Not that I think he should have been retained, just that I always thought he'd be a contender.

The Baumer
12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
He could have been one.

VR
12-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Belisle end up w/ minor league deal down the road

Joseph
12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Belisle end up w/ minor league deal down the road

I would, at least one with the Reds. I remember him not being too happy about the demotion to the AAA bullpen from the ML rotation.

I'm putting money on him being a Cardinal and shutting us out twice next season.

VR
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I would, at least one with the Reds. I remember him not being too happy about the demotion to the AAA bullpen from the ML rotation.

I'm putting money on him being a Cardinal and shutting us out twice next season.

Yeah, I meant w/ the Reds. Being demoted with a major league deal can be frustrating. Being unemployed changes ones perspective quite quickly.

redsfan4445
12-13-2008, 01:37 AM
WOW i didnt see that happening with Hopper... we need outfielders and he did do well before he was hurt.. hmmmm amazing we only have 2 outfielders on the 40 man now!

Hopper, Belisle, Majewski
Posted by JohnFay at 12/13/2008 12:02 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

It looks like The Reds will not tender contact offers to Norris Hopper, Matt Belisle and Gary Majewski.

Hopper is the shocker to me. But apparently the Reds have some sort of deal worked out. If they, don't they're down to two outfielders on the 40-man. According to agreed-upon rules of a the game, you need three outfielders.

dougdirt
12-13-2008, 01:38 AM
It sounds like the Reds and Hopper have an agreement for something. He was at Redsfest tonight, should be interesting to see if he is still there tomorrow.

Mainspark
12-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Weren't there indications at the end of last season that some in the Reds organization were irritated that Hopper and Freel rarely checked in, or visited the clubhouse, after being placed on the DL?
And is Fay referring to a deal with Hopper, or with another outfielder?

Tom Servo
12-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Sign Hopper to a minor league deal, his perfect role is in AAA at our disposal to be used in case of injuries.

WVRedsFan
12-13-2008, 03:26 AM
I like the way Walt is handling things. He traded Freel and has non-tendered Belisle and Majewski--two of the most useless players who have been given chance after chance. Furthermore, he's pretty much let Hopper go. This is the end of the Krivsky era in many ways, regardless of how you feel about Wayne.

Wayne valued those players and now they are gone. What does it all mean? There's a new sheriff in town and mediocrity doesn't count anymore. It's time to win. I like that a lot.

Jpup
12-13-2008, 04:29 AM
It looks like The Reds will not tender contact offers to Norris Hopper, Matt Belisle and Gary Majewski.

Hopper is the shocker to me. But apparently the Reds have some sort of deal worked out. If they, don't they're down to two outfielders on the 40-man. According to agreed-upon rules of a the game, you need three outfielders.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a9eae7093-e28b-423b-92c2-4f70d76c1060&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Ron Madden
12-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Thank God!

How on earth could anyone be shocked by this? Norris Hopper is nothing but a waste of a roster spot, the only thing he can do is bunt.

KronoRed
12-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Thank God!

How on earth could anyone be shocked by this? Norris Hopper is nothing but a waste of a roster spot, the only thing he can do is bunt.

Hey now..some said last year Hopper was better then Dunn :D

Perhaps the reason the Reds are going to 2 OF's is because they plan to grab someone else who was just non tendered.

Mario-Rijo
12-13-2008, 05:16 AM

Perhaps the reason the Reds are going to 2 OF's is because they plan to grab someone else who was just non tendered.

Yeah Hopper V 1.0 (Wily Taveras)

reds44
12-13-2008, 05:20 AM
So that leaves us with 2 outfielders on the 40 man roster.

Ron Madden
12-13-2008, 05:27 AM
So that leaves us with 2 outfielders on the 40 man roster.

Truth be told we have only had 2 OF'ers on the 40 man roster.

;)

Ron Madden
12-13-2008, 05:30 AM

Shame on you! Don't even think about it. ;)

Ron Madden
12-13-2008, 07:06 AM
It sounds like the Reds and Hopper have an agreement for something. He was at Redsfest tonight.

I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything. ;)

Deno was at Redsfest too, even modeled the new uniforms.

Raisor
12-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Better put Marty on a suicide watch.

RANDY IN INDY
12-13-2008, 09:37 AM
That seems to be a long list, coupled with all those who are on it, with Dunn being gone.

Heath
12-13-2008, 09:39 AM
That seems to be a long list, coupled with all those who are on it, with Dunn being gone.

There actually might be the need to purchase a score-card next year.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Stubbs with the big club in 2009.

A Dickerson/Stubbs platoon would work well, IMO.

Jpup
12-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Stubbs with the big club in 2009.

A Dickerson/Stubbs platoon would work well, IMO.

Once the Reds get Juan Pierre they won't have room for Stubbs.

Rounding Third
12-13-2008, 10:37 AM

That is not funny.

RedEye
12-13-2008, 10:47 AM
There must be plans for two OF in the works; otherwise, non-tendering Hopper doesn't make much sense.

Sea Ray
12-13-2008, 11:05 AM
There must be plans for two OF in the works; otherwise, non-tendering Hopper doesn't make much sense.

It makes plenty of sense if they already have some sort of deal worked out for him which has been reported. Why expose the team to the arbitration process if you've got a deal worked out that avoids it all together? I don't think he'd be at Redsfest if it wasn't pretty certain he'd be a Red this year.

RedEye
12-13-2008, 11:09 AM
It makes plenty of sense if they already have some sort of deal worked out for him which has been reported. Why expose the team to the arbitration process if you've got a deal worked out that avoids it all together? I don't think he'd be at Redsfest if it wasn't pretty certain he'd be a Red this year.

Okay, you're probably right. Still, doesn't this tell us that the team views Hopper as little more than a stopgap solution for the OF?

Heath
12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Okay, you're probably right. Still, doesn't this tell us that the team views Hopper as little more than a stopgap solution for the OF?

He is Scrappy.

Heath
12-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Don't forget Willy T.

Caseyfan21
12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Someone going to Redsfest today should ask him what's up if he's there. My gf is a huge Hopper fan (I have no idea why - certainly didn't come from me, I think it's just his weird name) so we will probably have to wait in his autograph line (if he's there) so I'll try and get a question in if that's the case.

Rounding Third
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Someone going to Redsfest today should ask him what's up if he's there. My gf is a huge Hopper fan (I have no idea why - certainly didn't come from me, I think it's just his weird name) so we will probably have to wait in his autograph line (if he's there) so I'll try and get a question in if that's the case.

Fay just reported he was signed to a 1 year contract.

The Reds non-tendered Norris Hopper, Matt Belisle and Gary Majewski. But Hopper signed a one-year contract. I'm not sure of why they did it that way. But thre back up to three outfielders on the 40-man.

Sea Ray
12-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Let's see if it's a major league contract. I'm going to guess that it is or the deal may be a minor league deal to open up a spot on the 40 man but some reasonable assurance that he'll be granted a major league deal before Opening Day.

My guess is they view him as a backup. I don't think they view him as a starter at any position.

Team Clark
12-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Let's see if it's a major league contract. I'm going to guess that it is or the deal may be a minor league deal to open up a spot on the 40 man but some reasonable assurance that he'll be granted a major league deal before Opening Day.

My guess is they view him as a backup. I don't think they view him as a starter at any position.

Is Hopper even going to be ready by Opening Day? He's still rehabbing.

Sea Ray
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Is Hopper even going to be ready by Opening Day? He's still rehabbing.

Fay says that he's throwing and is expected to be 100% by Spring Training following elbow surgery

Team Clark
12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Fay says that he's throwing and is expected to be 100% by Spring Training following elbow surgery

That would be encouraging. If Fay said it, then that means Hopper is 75% ready and may be ready by May 15. :D

I like Hopper as a 4th and I am glad he is at least in the organization. JMO.

Heath
12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Maybe you can't release injured guys.

:dunno:

Heath
12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
That would be encouraging. If Fay said it, then that means Hopper is 75% ready and may be ready by May 15. :D

I like Hopper as a 4th and I am glad he is at least in the organization. JMO.

Is that info from Doc Hollywood? If it's directly from Dr K's mouth, then it's safe to assume that Hopper's somewhere between leaping tall buildings with a single bound and the obituary section of the Enquirer.

Kc61
12-13-2008, 12:56 PM
My belief is that Hopper will start the season rehabbing in AAA. He provides bench depth, but I don't see him as the fourth outfielder. My guess is that he won't start the season as the fifth outfielder.

I look for the Reds to pick up a righty power left fielder, a righty platoon centerfielder, and a lefty pinch hitter who plays the outfield.

WMR
12-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Hopper is best-suited as a 6th outfielder. In other words, first guy called up from AAA when you have an injury.

Jpup
12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Hopper is best-suited as a 6th outfielder. In other words, first guy called up from AAA when you have an injury.

He'd be even better on another team. :)

Tom Servo
12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Man, Hopper's deal is a major league one. Walt really got my hopes up.

AmarilloRed
12-13-2008, 01:28 PM
FWIW, Hopper still has options. It's entirely possible he starts the year at AAA.

Highlifeman21
12-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Sign Hopper to a minor league deal, his perfect role is in AAA at our disposal to be used in case of injuries.

While I don't like the idea of Hopper as an insurance policy, he is a dish best served in AAA.

I want him nowhere near the 25 man roster on a regular basis, however. While I don't think he'd put up Patterson-esque numbers, at least Patterson could play D, whereas Hopper cannot. Given our current void in LF, I have a feeling that should Hopper make the 25 man roster out of ST, that The Dusty would find Hopper 350+ PA, which is never a good thing. Ever.

Hopefully the $ is right for this new deal, and Hopper is only promoted in case of an extended injury to someone who deserves to be on the 25 man roster.

KronoRed
12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
He'd be even better on another team. :)

Another team we play 20 times a year :D

Hopper back though..the beat goes on.

camisadelgolf
12-13-2008, 03:32 PM
FWIW, Hopper still has options. It's entirely possible he starts the year at AAA.

Would you happen to know how many option years he has left? I can't recall if he has one or two left.

AmarilloRed
12-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Would you happen to know how many option years he has left? I can't recall if he has one or two left.

The reason for the move was financial. Hopper would have stood to make $300,000 even if he was optioned to Louisville. He has three options left, thus the move.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ac63f814e-9af6-465d-acdc-01f0f3f51402&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

3. Seems like a lot, but he spent a lot of time in the minors before we acquired him.

Matt700wlw
12-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Gotta have some scrap factor...or something.

remdog
12-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Gotta have some scrap factor...or something.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here Matt but I get so tired of snide comments like that. (It seems to be the 'National Pastime' here at Redszone).The truth of the matter is that no team, Yanks, BoSox, Dodgers, etc. have the perfect roster.

This is a game where not eveyone hits .300 with 40 HR's and 100 RBI. This is a game where not every starter wins 20 games, every reliever saves 50 games and no one has an ERA of over 2.00. This is a game where every team has "filler" through out their system.

Norris Hopper is not the most skilled player in MLB. No one has ever claimed that he should be a starter even. But, the fact is he's head and shoulders beyond any of us posting here. If any of you've actually made an official appearance in a MLB game please identify yoursef---I'd appreciate it.

In the long term, Norris Hopper will likely have little to do with the Reds results at the end of the year---yet every team has a version of him somewhere. And, honestly, every team needs them.

Rem

Will M
12-13-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm not trying to bust your chops here Matt (because it seems to be 'The National Pastime' here at Rszone),but I get so tired of snide comments like that. The truth of the matter is that no team, Yanks, BoSox, Dodgers, etc. have the perfect roster.

This is a game where not eveyone hits .300 with 40 HR's and 100 RBI. This is a game where not every starter wins 20 games, every reliever saves 50 games and no one has an ERA of over 2.00. This is a game where every team has "filler" through out their system.

Norris Hopper is not the most skilled player in MLB. No one has ever claimed that he should be a starter even. But, the fact is he's head and shoulders beyond any of us posting here. If you've actually made an official appearance in a MLB game please identify yoursef---I'd appreciate it.

In the long term, Norris Hopper will likely have little to do with the Reds results at the end of the year---yet every team has a version of him somewhere. And, honestly, every team needs them.

Rem

well said.

A team of 25 guys will have several role players. LOOGY. Utility infielder. 5th outfielder. etc.

Signing Hopper for outfield depth (especially if he has options) is fine. I am sure Walt has no expectations that Hopper willleadoff and play CF.

Strikes Out Looking
12-13-2008, 06:19 PM
The Big Red Machine had Ed Armbrister--there is a place for Norris Hopper on the roster.

Rounding Third
12-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't really have a big problem with Hopper being brought back as a 5th outfielder. In his one season of major playing time he played well. He doesn't draw many walks and his batting average was .329 but only a .371 OBP to go with it. UZR in 2007 as a 8.3 in 102 games. Could do worse on a 5th OF, we have done worse for a 3rd OF just last year.

RedsManRick
12-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't really have a big problem with Hopper being brought back as a 5th outfielder. In his one season of major playing time he played well. He doesn't draw many walks and his batting average was .329 but only a .371 OBP to go with it. UZR in 2007 as a 8.3 in 102 games. Could do worse on a 5th OF, we have done worse for a 3rd OF just last year.

Hopper is basically Tavares with less speed. I guess he's fine in that 5th OF/ pinch runner role or as AAA insurance. But as we've seen with many managers and guys like him, they just can't help themselves -- and Dusty is arguably the leader of that crowd.

remdog
12-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Hopper is basically Tavares with less speed. I guess he's fine in that 5th OF/ pinch runner role or as AAA insurance. But as we've seen with many managers and guys like him, they just can't help themselves -- and Dusty is arguably the leader of that crowd.

And that's Dusty's fault, not Hoppers.

Rem

*BaseClogger*
12-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm not trying to bust your chops here Matt but I get so tired of snide comments like that. (It seems to be the 'National Pastime' here at Redszone).The truth of the matter is that no team, Yanks, BoSox, Dodgers, etc. have the perfect roster.

Norris Hopper is not the most skilled player in MLB. No one has ever claimed that he should be a starter even. But, the fact is he's head and shoulders beyond any of us posting here. If any of you've actually made an official appearance in a MLB game please identify yoursef---I'd appreciate it.

Rem

Thanks for that post. Endless ripping on a move like this becomes tiresome...

RedsManRick
12-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Rem

Of course; I'm not ripping Hopper. He is who he is, a replacement level CF. But the fact that our manager has no clue how to properly use his skills makes him a poor fit for this roster. Of course, my solution involves getting rid of the manager...

Will M
12-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Rem

well said again Rem!

Saying we shouldn't get certain role players because Dusty won't use them right drives me nuts. People are confusing issues. If Dusty can't manage players properly then Walt & Bob need to get another manager. The Reds can use players like a LOOGY, utility infielder, 5th outfielder/defensive sub, etc. All teams can use role players.

Rounding Third
12-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Cheaper than Taveras as well.

I think he is fine for the 5th OF/Pinch bunter/Pinch Runner spot and AAA insurance. I do think its ridiculous that we have a 5 year old setting the lineup and smart moves like adding a 5th OF will too often turn into an everyday starter and leadoff hitter.

The problem is the smart moves for signing a player don't always work when considering our illustrious manager.

TRF
12-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Rem

There in lies the problem with the Reds though. Hopper, Kepp, Tavares (if signed) too many replacement and below level players not only likely to be on the 25 man roster, but likely chewing up starts instead of better players. Now do the Reds have these better players? maybe, but it's not a certainty. I sure would like to see Walt acquire some better players. He did a lot to solidify the black hole of suck that was the catching position. But if the Reds start the season with Kepp at SS and Tavares/Pierre type in the OF, then another 70 win season is in the offing.

Raisor
12-13-2008, 07:03 PM
well said again Rem!

Saying we shouldn't get certain role players because Dusty won't use them right drives me nuts. People are confusing issues. If Dusty can't manage players properly then Walt & Bob need to get another manager. The Reds can use players like a LOOGY, utility infielder, 5th outfielder/defensive sub, etc. All teams can use role players.

Of course the Reds should get rid of Dusty. They never should have hired him in the first place. Even with another manager, however, I'd still be against having Tavaras and Hopper on the roster. I'm sure they're fine fellows and all that, but in the end, these aren't the droids I'm looking for.

TRF
12-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Hopper, Kepp, with the possible additions of a returning Hairston and Tavares.

yippee.

Raisor
12-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Hopper, Kepp, with the possible additions of a returning Hairston and Tavares.

yippee.

From now on, anyone that mentions that we might have Hopper, Tavaras, AND Hairston on the same roster is getting a visit from Galactus.

I'm not going to be held responsible.

camisadelgolf
12-13-2008, 07:19 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ac63f814e-9af6-465d-acdc-01f0f3f51402&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

3. Seems like a lot, but he spent a lot of time in the minors before we acquired him.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised by that because I knew he was optioned in 2006, but apparently it wasn't at least a 20-day assignment. Thank you for the info.

fearofpopvol1
12-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm guessing Hopper is the platoon partner for Dickerson in Center. At least it's just a 1 year deal. I don't prefer him as a starter, but as a reserve, it could be worse.

Raisor
12-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm guessing Hopper is the platoon partner for Dickerson in Center. At least it's just a 1 year deal. I don't prefer him as a starter, but as a reserve, it could be worse.

It's only 175 career PA's vs LHP, but Norris clobbers them to the tune of
.367/.406/.456

Now, the odds of him keeping that up are about 0.001%, but still...

kpresidente
12-14-2008, 03:05 AM
It's only 175 career PA's vs LHP, but Norris clobbers them to the tune of
.367/.406/.456

Now, the odds of him keeping that up are about 0.001%, but still...

Small sample? How about his line from AAA + majors, then?

.330/.370/.385 in 848 PAs. That's lefty's and righties.

Is that enough PAs? I'm just wondering when the guy gets credit for getting on base. I've heard that's kind of important, after all.

But, oh yeah, all he does is bunt. :rolleyes: I say if that gets him to 1B, bunt away.

*BaseClogger*
12-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Small sample? How about his line from AAA + majors, then?

.330/.370/.385 in 848 PAs. That's lefty's and righties.

Is that enough PAs? I'm just wondering when the guy gets credit for getting on base. I've heard that's kind of important, after all.

But, oh yeah, all he does is bunt. :rolleyes: I say if that gets him to 1B, bunt away.

Did you just add AAA and MLB numbers and then call the sum important, especially when it's still a fairly small sample? :eek:

kpresidente
12-14-2008, 03:16 AM
There in lies the problem with the Reds though. Hopper, Kepp, Tavares (if signed) too many replacement and below level players not only likely to be on the 25 man roster, but likely chewing up starts instead of better players. Now do the Reds have these better players? maybe, but it's not a certainty. I sure would like to see Walt acquire some better players. He did a lot to solidify the black hole of suck that was the catching position. But if the Reds start the season with Kepp at SS and Tavares/Pierre type in the OF, then another 70 win season is in the offing.

We trotted out worse than that for most of last year and were a healthy Aaron Harang and a decent 5th starter away from 85 wins.

CF and SS aren't going to determine the season. Starting pitching and the middle of the order will. Just like it does for most teams.

kpresidente
12-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Did you just add AAA and MLB numbers and then call the sum important, especially when it's still a fairly small sample? :eek:

Uh, yeah.

AAA numbers are irrelevant now? They can't be used as a predicator? What do people think, that Hoppers going to be .240 hitter all of the sudden? What could possibly lead anybody to believe that? He's logged 3+ years over .300. Again, when does it qualify? I guess if he was less "scrappy" people around here wouldn't be such haters...

Apparently you have to be a fat loafer to get credit for what you've done around here.

*BaseClogger*
12-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Uh, yeah.

AAA numbers are irrelevant now? They can't be used as a predicator? What do people think, that Hoppers going to be .240 hitter all of the sudden? What could possibly lead anybody to believe that? He's logged 3+ years over .300. Again, when does it qualify? I guess if he was less "scrappy" people around here wouldn't be such haters...

Apparently you have to be a fat loafer to get credit for what you've done around here.

Marcel projects .289/.349/.379/.728/.325 and it's not very confident about that (.60)...

Sea Ray
12-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Uh, yeah.

No, AAA numbers only mean something if you're going to argue how Dickerson will never live up to his 2008 year in Cincinnati...;)

GAC
12-14-2008, 03:50 AM

But will he still be able to play the piano?

Sea Ray
12-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Marcel projects .289/.349/.379/.728/.325 and it's not very confident about that (.60)...

I'd say those numbers can contribute to most major league teams. If that's what he does then the Reds have gotten their money's worth from this guy

Matt700wlw
12-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I think I'm more worried about Dusty's use of him than him being on the roster.

I don't mind Hopper to come off the bench, bunt a guy over, and/or provide speed on the base paths. In other words, as a role player/utility guy.

If he's one of your starting 3 in the OF on opening day, then the Reds missed the boat on getting their job done in the offseason.

Ron Madden
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I think I'm more worried about Dusty's use of him than him being on the roster.

I don't mind Hopper to come off the bench, bunt a guy over, and/or provide speed on the base paths. In other words, as a role player/utility guy.

If he's one of your starting 3 in the OF on opening day, then the Reds missed the boat on getting their job done in the offseason.

I doubt that Norris Hopper will be in the starting lineup on opening day.

I am afraid that Dusty will waste too many AB's on him though.

:(

Ltlabner
12-14-2008, 08:10 PM
IF we land a huge bat in LF and IF we land a decent hitting/solid glove-man at SS and IF Hernandez gets a NL/GABP boost at the plate and IF Votto and Bruce both take a step forward at the plate...

...I could live with a Dickerson/Hopper platoon for a year in CF.

Obviously not all that is going to happen so a Dickerson/Hopper platoon isn't a great plan for 2009.

Dickerson may or may not be successful once he gets an entire year under his belt and the book on him becomes clear. While I'm perfectly content rolling the dice on Dickerson v.2009 The Dusty has made it all but clear he's not going to get time out there.

Hopper is a one-trick pony. Sure, he gets on base using the bunt, but that plan demands that Hopper always has speed. With speed he can still do the bunt routine even though the opposing team knows it's coming. The second the speed slips a bit and he can no longer outrun the defense he turns into a totally useless player.

At age 29/30 the freshness date on his wheels is rapidly approaching.

Jpup
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I really don't expect Hopper to be anywhere near the MLB roster until some injuries hit.