PDA

View Full Version : Tex about to go to the O's

Prf15
12-14-2008, 02:38 AM
Supposedly the Orioles have offered either a 9 or 10 year deal worth around 200 million and will be present at the Steelers/Ravens game tomorrow and will be meeting with Peter Angelos with a physical on Monday. This was all just posted 2 and a half hours ago on Orioles hangout but the guys who have sources are saying it is true.

This would be awesome! Keep him outta Boston/LA/NY.

redsfandan
12-14-2008, 02:48 AM
No offense, but I want to see something a little more concrete first. Like I've said before, anyone that hands out a contract THAT long is nuts.

Prf15
12-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Sorry, I mean't to put a question mark at the end of that. It will be interesting to see if he is at the game tomorrow though.

TheBigLebowski
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
The O's need to make a splash and, by adding the best overall player in this year's FA pool, they've done that. The question is, will there be enough money left over to put a competitive team around him? The Orioles have a LOT of needs.

Ghosts of 1990
12-14-2008, 11:34 AM
He hasnt signed yet.

Why Not?
12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
This Ravens game scenario did not happen. It's not known if Tex is there, but Angelos is NOT at the game.

There is some pretty solid info that Angelos will break the bank to get Teixiera in an Orioles uniform. Whether he signs with the Orioles or not, many think that Angelos is obligated to make the highest offer. Teixiera is from Baltimore, which means a lot (probably too much) to Orioles fans. Angelos, who is despised in Baltimore, might see this as a chance to cement his legacy in a positive way.

redsfandan
12-14-2008, 07:27 PM
If Baltimore really wants to do the right thing they would concentrate on using the money they have to acquire as many studs as they can (via FA's, trades, and especially the draft) that can help them win. They have some nice players but all you have to do is look at their pitchers and you'll see why they need alot more than a local boy that is a very, very expensive FA. With Teix they will definitely have improved their offense to one with a lot of potential but alot of 6-5 losses won't improve their record much.

Why Not?
12-14-2008, 10:59 PM
If Baltimore really wants to do the right thing they would concentrate on using the money they have to acquire as many studs as they can (via FA's, trades, and especially the draft) that can help them win. They have some nice players but all you have to do is look at their pitchers and you'll see why they need alot more than a local boy that is a very, very expensive FA. With Teix they will definitely have improved their offense to one with a lot of potential but alot of 6-5 losses won't improve their record much.

The pitching is obviously an issue. But it's also where the bulk of the talent in the minors lies right now. The plan seems to spend on bats and load up on minor league pitching, hoping enough of it blossoms. McPhail has a shown a real aversion to handing out long-term, big-money contracts to pitchers. There is some validity to that strategy.

redsfandan
12-14-2008, 11:17 PM
True pitchers are naturally riskier since the motion a pitcher makes isn't natural and puts alot of strain on the human body. But I still wouldn't hand out a deal to anyone that long. Just my preference I guess. By the time they've developed some decent pitchers they could have lesser players at 2nd and 3rd which would definitely hurt them. I think they'll need to pick up at least one veteran pitcher in the next year or two for the plan to work.

Why Not?
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
True pitchers are naturally riskier since the motion a pitcher makes isn't natural and puts alot of strain on the human body. But I still wouldn't hand out a deal to anyone that long. Just my preference I guess. By the time they've developed some decent pitchers they could have lesser players at 2nd and 3rd which would definitely hurt them. I think they'll need to pick up at least one veteran pitcher in the next year or two for the plan to work.

I see what you're saying, I can't say I disagree. I cringe at the size of this potential deal. But most Orioles fans think if there's a guy to throw this sort of money at, THIS is the guy. He's local, he's pretty young, he's a solid citizen with no injury concerns and he plays a position where we have no real prospects. It all just fits. He's considered the next Ripken.

I think the Orioles will look to sign a veteran pitcher or two, but it's probably going to be guys they can land with a shorter deal, like three years.

redsfandan
12-15-2008, 01:03 AM
...I think the Orioles will look to sign a veteran pitcher or two, but it's probably going to be guys they can land with a shorter deal, like three years.

That would work. I just think it's better to mix some veterans with all the youth whether it's pitchers or position players.