PDA

View Full Version : Submarine Movies

will5979
12-14-2008, 09:09 AM
What are you favorite sub movies? I'm a history teacher and my students enjoy sub movies.

My favorites are
1. Crimson Tide
2. K-19 The Widowmaker
3. The Hunt for Red October

Das Boot is a movie that everyone should see at least once, but its pretty bad when it puts BOTH the students and the teacher to sleep!

U-571 is a decent movie. Take out the pretty boy factor of McCounaahough or whatever his name is and Jon Bon Jovi and it is a decent sub movie.

improbus
12-14-2008, 09:36 AM
What are you favorite sub movies? I'm a history teacher and my students enjoy sub movies.

My favorites are
1. Crimson Tide
2. K-19 The Widowmaker
3. The Hunt for Red October

Das Boot is a movie that everyone should see at least once, but its pretty bad when it puts BOTH the students and the teacher to sleep!

U-571 is a decent movie. Take out the pretty boy factor of McCounaahough or whatever his name is and Jon Bon Jovi and it is a decent sub movie.
Das Boot and only Das Boot.

Chip R
12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Yellow Submarine. ;)

nate
12-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Yellow Submarine. ;)

Excellent!

How about "Run Silent, Run Deep?"

TheBigLebowski
12-14-2008, 12:48 PM
THFRO is the best Sub movie of all time and the title made for a few clever Reds t-shirts. Crimson Tide and Das Boot take close seconds.

McCongahegey (or however the hell you spell his freaking name) ruined U-571. He's much better served eating shrimp with his mouth open, wearing shirts half-unbuttoned and mis-pronouncing "Roark." I cannot stand that guy.

nate
12-14-2008, 12:54 PM
THFRO is the best Sub movie of all time and the title made for a few clever Reds t-shirts. Crimson Tide and Das Boot take close seconds.

McCongahegey (or however the hell you spell his freaking name) ruined U-571. He's much better served eating shrimp with his mouth open, wearing shirts half-unbuttoned and mis-pronouncing "Roark." I cannot stand that guy.

A buddy of mine did some of the sound design for THFRO. They did a lot of recording in a swimming pool and to get the mics underwater, they had to put condoms over them. Every morning, they sent a young female intern to the drugstore to get a big box of condoms for the day's work.

I'm told the intern got some interesting looks at the register!

TheBigLebowski
12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
And you just know they didn't buy the condoms in bulk for that very reason...

Roy Tucker
12-14-2008, 03:54 PM
The Enemy Below - excellent WWII flick told from both the American destroyer (Robert Mitchum) and German u-boat (Curt Jurgens) POVs.

The Bedford Incident - excellent Cold War movie with a obsessed American captain (Richard Widmark) hunting a Russian sub. Excellent supporting cast with Sidney Poitier.

Operation Petticoat - Cary Grant, Tony Curtis, and nurses on board a pink submarine.

Caveat Emperor
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I consider Down Periscope to be a "guilty pleasure" movie. I'll watch it whenever it's on.

Raisor
12-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Yellow Submarine. ;)

Now we know what the "R" stands for, Ringo.

Ltlabner
12-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Das Boot is probably the most gritty and accurate sub movie made, but damn it's boring.

The Hunt for Red October was no where near good as the book, but few movies are. I think my view of the movie might have been flavored by the book (which I read about 900 times, almost as many as Red Storm Rising, which I virtually memorized) so it helped offset the dreck that is Alec Baldwin. Sean Conery didn't hurt either.

U571 was an action movie that just happened to have a sub in it. Harvey Kitel's performance is about the only thing that keeps it counting as a "sub movie".

There was a John Wayne WWII sub movie that while being a John Wayne movie was so-so. Can't recall the title, however.

RedsBaron
12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
There was a John Wayne WWII sub movie that while being a John Wayne movie was so-so. Can't recall the title, however.

Operation Pacific (1951)-John Wayne, Patricia Neal, Ward Bond

SunDeck
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I didn't think Das Boot was boring.

paintmered
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I consider Down Periscope to be a "guilty pleasure" movie. I'll watch it whenever it's on.

You aren't alone.

Yachtzee
12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I didn't think Das Boot was boring.

I didn't either. Das Boot is one of my favorite movies period. Also, add me to the list of people who watch "Down Periscope" as a guilty pleasure.

smoke6
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
U-571?????:confused:

wally post
12-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I can only guess that I am more moved by brilliant soundtracks than others - 'cause I think Das Boot is a great movie

RFS62
12-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Run Silent Run Deep

TheBigLebowski
12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
http://wt-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/down-periscope.jpg

"PREPARE FOR DIVE!!!"

Unassisted
12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Although they're not better than most of the sub films listed above, I'll add the following to the list:

Ice Station Zebra
On the Beach

Hollywood will have trouble topping HFRO. I figure in about 10 years, it'll be remade and that'll be a shame.

AtomicDumpling
12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I vote for Das Boot as the best sub movie ever.

I am not a huge movie buff, but I do have a shelf of about 40 U-boat books and a few books about American WWII submarines. I have read most of them multiple times.

There are also some cool U-boat simulation computer games.

The Battle of the Atlantic is the most interesting aspect of WWII. The Nazi wolfpack attacks on Allied convoys are gritty, intense and dramatic. The air combat over Europe is also awesome to learn about.

Ltlabner
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Not to get totally off track, but any you'd recommend?

I've been hankering for a new computer game and a sub one would fit the bill nicely.

klw
12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Although they're not better than most of the sub films listed above, I'll add the following to the list:

Ice Station Zebra
On the Beach

Hollywood will have trouble topping HFRO. I figure in about 10 years, it'll be remade and that'll be a shame.

Is On the Beach the one where the sub survives a nuclear war?

Rojo
12-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I vote for Das Boot as the best sub movie ever.

A friend and I briefly toyed with a remake featuring Chris Tucker called Das Booty-call.

I used to play the coolest sub game on an Atari 800 in the 80's. It was kinda like Battlezone under water.