PDA

View Full Version : MLB Extra Innings this year?

RBA
12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
During these economic times are you buying the Extra Innings Package? I'm uncertain. But it is a pretty good bargain compared to other forms of entertainment. I was all set up last year and than the Reds tanked and I just wasn't interested anymore and felt I wasted money on it.

So what will it be this year?

Jpup
12-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I probably shouldn't, but I won't be able to help myself. I am a baseball addict.

paintmered
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I subscribed to mlb.tv last year. As cool as it was, I didn't watch it enough to justify the cost.

Yachtzee
12-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I wish I could, but I just can't afford it.

fearofpopvol1
12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, I will. I'd like to see them drop the price, but I doubt that will happen.

The way I see it is it's $160. My family all lives in Indianapolis. So if I still lived in Indy, and I took a trip to GAB (gas/food/parking/ticket etc), it would easily cost $50 a trip. If I went to 3 games, that's $150 right there. I would normally go to at least 4-5 games a season, so the cost for me is easily justified.

Falls City Beer
12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
No way.

dougdirt
12-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Depends on your financial situation really. You know your finances better than we do. If I ever moved out of Cincinnati I would find a way to get the package, but fortunately I live in Cincinnati and get 145 games a year with cable.

JaxRed
12-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes. As an "outside the market" it's my only way to watch 90% of Reds games. (and my wife likes the fricken Yankees, so we get both teams). And I take the HD upgrade.

Combined with my Slingbox and my netbook that can pick up internet off my phone, I can watch anywhere/anytime.

westofyou
12-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Beats the snot out gametracker. Your eyes are great teachers.

George Anderson
12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I hafta subscribe to MLB Extra Innings. I prefer to only watch quality teams play so I prefer to watch as many non Reds games as possible.

Unassisted
12-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm a charter subscriber to MLB.TV, but I'm leaning against subscribing for 2009. I just didn't watch it enough in 2008 to justify the ongoing investment. I might opt for a half-season package at the ASB if the Reds are within spitting distance of the division lead.

remdog
12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
It's a few months before anyone as to decide but, assuming everything is OK financially, I'd be hard pressed to decline it.

Depending upon my travel schedule I probably saw between 60-80 Reds games last year on EI. That made my cost around $2.00 - $2.75 per game---pretty cheap entertainment---especially when your heart is attached to the product on the field. Throw in other games that I watched it's really pretty reasonable. Add in that there is little on but reruns in the summer and, basically, it is almost all I watch that tme of the year.

Being out of the market I don't have a lot of choice unless I'm satisfied in watching the Reds when they play on network stations that carry the Dodgers, Braves and Cubs.

Rem

remdog
12-14-2008, 03:43 PM
BTW, I think that this is an interesting poll since I think it fits in well with the earlier 'Economics and Baseball' thread elsewhere on this page. Kind of a precussor of what kind of income stream will be flowing the owner's way.

Good question/poll Rob. :beerme:

Rem

Tom Servo
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I was suprised and thrilled to learn my home in Huntersville, NC carries the Reds on their Fox Sports Net Channel, so I'm hoping next year is no different.

Reds Nd2
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Does MLB Extra Innings have the ability to watch archived games?

I've been subsribing to MLB.tv and love this feature. With the over the air television signals coming to an end, I've been thinking about subscribing to cable and getting the Extra Innings package. The problem with this is I believe that I'm blacked out from the Reds games. I can get them through MLB.tv though.

Regardless of which route I go though, I'll have some form of subscription to watch live baseball this spring. The economy isn't bad enough for me to forego watching baseball.

RedlegNation
12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Definitely. Can't live without it. And in HD. I've had Extra Innings for the last three years, and I'm addicted to it.

I've had MLB.tv for the last few years, as well, but I'm not going to get it this year. It's just not worth it to me to get it so I can watch the few games I can't get on Extra Innings, plus the times I'm on the road and watch on the laptop.

But I can't imagine what I'd do without Extra Innings. My wife wouldn't complain if I didn't get it this year, though.

nate
12-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes. It's only $5 extra to get the FSN Ohio/Cinci down here on DirecTV.

remdog
12-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes. It's only $5 extra to get the FSN Ohio/Cinci down here on DirecTV.

Is that $5.00/year/month/game. I'd like to know 'cause I've thought about switching to DirectTV or Dish Network.

Rem

fearofpopvol1
12-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Does MLB Extra Innings have the ability to watch archived games?

Sadly, no.

nate
12-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Is that $5.00/year/month/game. I'd like to know 'cause I've thought about switching to DirectTV or Dish Network.

Rem

It's a month but it's not going to work to watch the Reds in CA. It's a "regional sports package" offering.

remdog
12-14-2008, 05:14 PM
It's a month but it's not going to work to watch the Reds in CA. It's a "regional sports package" offering.

Drat!

Rem

12-14-2008, 05:23 PM
I absolutely will. In these economic times, if something gets sacrificed this summer, it will be some other thing. Factoring in the dollar per hour cost, it is cheap entertainment.

Jpup
12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Add in Superfan for the HD and it's pretty expensive, but DirecTV lets you pay it over a 4 or 5 months period. I just don't understand how a "Reds' fan" outside the local area could not subscribe to it unless their finances were in bad shape. If you don't live in the local market and will not subscribe to the package then I am not sure how you can really be much of a fan. Looking at the box scores the next morning is not too much fun. It's hard to have an opinion on a team when you don't watch the games and be taken seriously. That's my take, but maybe I am totally off base.

Falls City Beer
12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I absolutely will. In these economic times, if something gets sacrificed this summer, it will be some other thing. Factoring in the dollar per hour cost, it is cheap entertainment.

Yeah, it's going to be the library for me. I'm a tightarse in good times; I don't spend a nickel in hard times, at least not on myself.

Canceled Netflix, too. The only thing I keep in times like these are my journal subscriptions. Inflation is going to be ungodly in a year or so. The hatches are battened in Chez Falls City.

Red in Chicago
12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
The Reds are one of my few guilty pleasures during the summer. Without the extra innings package, I would only get to see them play the Cubs, with an occasional game here and there (if I was lucky) on the Game of the Week.

We bought a new house last month, and now our HD is all hooked up. I can't wait, even if it is to see Dusty in the dugout ;)

edabbs44
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Add in Superfan for the HD and it's pretty expensive, but DirecTV lets you pay it over a 4 or 5 months period. I just don't understand how a "Reds' fan" outside the local area could not subscribe to it unless their finances were in bad shape. If you don't live in the local market and will not subscribe to the package then I am not sure how you can really be much of a fan. Looking at the box scores the next morning is not too much fun. It's hard to have an opinion on a team when you don't watch the games and be taken seriously. That's my take, but maybe I am totally off base.

Or if your carrier doesn't offer the package. :cry:

LvJ
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
If it didn't require DTV, I would. I use Comcast.

Red in Chicago
12-14-2008, 08:10 PM

I only have DTV because of the MLB package. Personally, I prefer cable, but until I can see the Reds there, I'm stuck with Directv.

fearofpopvol1
12-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Comcast has the package. It's not specific to DTV.

Jpup
12-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Or if your carrier doesn't offer the package. :cry:

well, yeah, that too. :)

Reds Nd2
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Sadly, no.

Thanks for the info. The archived games are a big plus for MLB.tv, IMO. I'll have to re-check with Extra Innings to find out if I'm blacked out of Reds games. Right now it looks like a return to MLB.tv though.

Blitz Dorsey
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
No brainer for me. I have no interest in MLB Extra Innings. Like Doug said, I live inside the Reds market, so I get 145 Reds games per year on cable. I feel like I'm stealing during the summer months because I rarely if ever miss a game. Really makes my cable bill worth it and then some.

And since I don't care about watching games that don't involve the Reds, I've never had an interest in getting EI. I love following the statistics of other teams, but I never have much of an interest of watching baseball on TV unless the Reds are involved or unless it's the postseason. I could watch any MLB baseball game in person, but on TV it has to be the Reds.

If I lived out of the Reds' market, I would definitely get EI. Unless I could just get a dish like DirecTV w/Fox Sports Ohio. Then it would be just like living inside the Reds market unless I'm missing something. The point is, I am addicted to watching Reds games in the summer and if I didn't get them on cable, I would pay separately for them.

TRF
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
not offered by dish network.

toledodan
12-15-2008, 12:50 AM
If I lived out of the Reds' market, I would definitely get EI. Unless I could just get a dish like DirecTV w/Fox Sports Ohio. Then it would be just like living inside the Reds market unless I'm missing something. The point is, I am addicted to watching Reds games in the summer and if I didn't get them on cable, I would pay separately for them.

FWIW you would have to buy EI if you are outside of the reds market to get the games. having the sports pack with fox cincinnati will not be enough.

WVRedsFan
12-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Providing Suddenlink Communications carries all the Reds games (145 anyway), I probably won't subscribe. Times are tough and business is way, way off. I can't justify the price. But, if they do not, like Doug, I'll find a way to do it if it kills me.

LvJ
12-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Comcast has the package. It's not specific to DTV. Really? :eek:

I guess I've never seen it advertised. I always thought it was exclusive.

If that's the case, then I'm getting it for sure.

remdog
12-15-2008, 02:36 AM
So here's a question: we already know FCB has sharpened his knife and decided to do away with EI. How many people here that had EI last year are getting ready to cut it loose in '09 because of the economy?

Rem

Edskin
12-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I'll get it......again.........and I'll be kicking myself in July for doing it.......again :)

Vada Pinson Fan
12-15-2008, 09:03 AM
I bought the Extra innings "Half-Season" package in 2008. My wife and I may have to relocate and if that happens I will buy E.I. again. If we stay here in Southwestern Ohio I won't buy it.....this year.

cumberlandreds
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
not offered by dish network.

Same for me. But I am probably changing to DirecTv before the season starts. I'm tired of DISH messing around with the sports packages.

12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Same for me. But I am probably changing to DirecTv before the season starts. I'm tired of DISH messing around with the sports packages.

That is the sole readon I dumped Dish for Direvtv

hebroncougar
12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
That is the sole readon I dumped Dish for Direvtv

Me too. I will get it, it's most of my entertainment for the summer.

kaldaniels
12-15-2008, 11:57 AM
The upfront cost is a bit pricey...thats for sure. FWIW I'm out of market.

That said on a relative basis compared with other forms of entertainment its the best deal in town.

Whats it come out to...one dollar a game or so? And thats for an activity (watching the Reds) that I'd rather be doing than just about anything else I'd go out and pay for.

For the price of going out to the movies or buying a cd, you get about 2 weeks worth of Reds baseball...no brainer to me.

That said, I am considering dumping Sunday Ticket. I follow the Browns and when it is all said and done I paid about 30 dollars a game for each game that I would not have been broadcast locally...now that is hard to swallow, and is compounded by the awful year Cleveland has had...NFL network rebroadcasts the games during the week...I figure that will work for me.

NC Reds
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
I need my Reds fix. Unless we have a Pierre-Patterson-Tavares outfield, I'll be getting the package again.

westofyou
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't get the package so I can watch the Reds, I get it so I don't have to watch the Mariners.

fearofpopvol1
12-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Really? :eek:

I guess I've never seen it advertised. I always thought it was exclusive.

If that's the case, then I'm getting it for sure.

Yep. I had Comcast last season and had the package, no problem.

RedlegNation
12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't get the package so I can watch the Reds, I get it so I don't have to watch the Mariners.

A fine reason, indeed.

George Anderson
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I get MLB EI because late at night when the kids are in bed and it is quiet in my house it is really enjoyable to watch west coast baseball. I like watching the Mike Scioscia's Angels and how they seem to play the game the right way, I like watching Giant games because Pac Bell is a beautiful park and it's always fun to listen to Vin Scully on the Dodger games.

Over the past years it was always enjoyable to turn into Tampa Bay games and count the 50 or so fans that were in the stands. I guess it is therapeutic for me being a Reds fan to watch another organization that had more misery than ours.

remdog
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I guess it is therapeutic for me being a Reds fan to watch another organization that had more misery than ours.
:lol: So true, so true. :lol:

Rem