PDA

View Full Version : Reds and Minor Leaguers to play 'Futures Game' in Dayton in 09

dougdirt
12-15-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/12/15/ddn121508spdragons.html

By Marc Katz
DAYTON — Nearly 100 players in the Cincinnati Reds' minor league system played at some point for the Class A Dayton Dragons, and many of them will return to Fifth Third Field on Saturday, April 4, for a unique organizational Futures game to be played against the parent Reds.

The game will be played in the afternoon, but no time has been set as yet.

This morning, Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty and farm director Terry Reynolds are to outline the details of the game at a Fifth Third Field media conference.

Although the Reds won't know until the final week of spring training which players will be in Dayton, they'll want to highlight some of their better prospects, such as Todd Frazier, Drew Stubbs, Juan Francisco, Chris Valaika, Zack Cozart and Devin Mesoraco.

Dragons fans might also be interested in first baseman Yonder Alonso, who was the Reds' first-round draft choice last season but signed too late to be assigned here. Instead, Alonso was sent to Sarasota for post-draft workouts and eventually played in a few games with the high Class A Reds team there.

It is unlikely the Reds will assign Alonso to the Dragons for this season.

Dragons President Bob Murphy said the idea of a Futures game grew out of an end-of-season meeting with the Reds discussing how the Reds could better market themselves in the Dayton area and beyond.

Murphy said it would also be good for the Dragons' organization.

"I want to bring really cool events to the city of Dayton," Murphy said. "This will be great for our loyal fans. It will be a big deal. We're going to have special uniforms and commemorative gifts. Nothing like this has been done before."

The Reds like the idea so much, they're going to hold a similar game the day before, on April 3, at their new Class AA site in North Carolina. A major difference will be, none of the players will have come up through the Carolina team.

The Reds also should have plenty of former Dragons on their roster. During this past season, 13 made the club at one point, although at least two of them — outfielder Adam Dunn and pitcher Todd Coffey — won't be back. Dunn is now with the Diamondbacks and Coffey with the Brewers.

Other former Dragons who played for the Reds this season were Chris Dickerson, Joey Votto, Ryan Hanigan, Jay Bruce, Edwin Encarnacion, Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, Homer Bailey, Ramon Ramirez, Johnny Cueto and Daryl Thompson.

JayBruceFan
12-15-2008, 04:04 AM
This should be interesting

Especially if the Reds lose

pahster
12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
The Reds like the idea so much, they're going to hold a similar game the day before, on April 3, at their new Class AA site in North Carolina. A major difference will be, none of the players will have come up through the Carolina team.

Sounds like I'll be making my way over to Zebulon on the third.

Spazzrico
12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
This should be interesting

Especially if the Reds lose

I'm pretty sure my first Reds game was a loss to the Denver Zephyrs in 1986 I think. Thank God I can barely remember it.

I wonder if Barry Larkin was on that Denver team?

redsof72
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Players who were mentioned by name for the Futures team were Alonzo, Valaika, Cozart, Frazier, Francisco, Mesoraco, Stubbs, and Heisey.

Very exciting.

GOYA
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Dayton gets one. Carolina gets one. I hope they throw Louisville a bone.

I sent a message to the Louisville Bats office about a month ago regarding this but received no response.

OnBaseMachine
12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Reds to face top prospects in Dayton
Exhibition game on April 4 believed to be the first of its kind

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

The Cincinnati Reds will get a look at the future as they prepare for the 2009 season with one last tuneup on April 4 in Dayton, Ohio, against their top Minor League prospects.

The Reds will play a team consisting of players from the Triple-A, Double-A and Class A levels at Fifth Third Field, home of the Class A Dayton Dragons, prior to the start of the regular season. Game time will be announced at a later date.

Cincinnati will play an exhibition game against the Double-A Carolina Mudcats on April 3 in Zebulon, N.C., and had an open date the next day. The Reds begin the regular season on April 6, playing host to the New York Mets at Great American Ball Park.

The April 4 game will be held at the ballpark where several of the current Reds stars once played, including Jay Bruce, Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto.

The event is believed to be the first of its kind in baseball in which a Major League club matches up against its top prospects in the stadium that once was the home park for players of both clubs.

"We are very excited with the opportunity to host this historic 'Futures Game' at Fifth Third Field," Dragons president Bob Murphy said on Monday. "Many of the top Dragons players from past years will play in this game, either as members of the Reds or with the Futures team. It is a great chance to see the Reds' Major League stars and their top prospects from all levels of the Minor Leagues, all on the same field in Dayton."

The Reds' 2009 roster is expected to be highlighted by several former Dragons. Votto, who finished second in the 2008 National League Rookie of the Year voting, will return to Dayton, where he played for the Dragons in 2003 and '04. Bruce was one of the league's top rookies in 2008 after spending the 2006 season with Dayton.

Cueto (Dragons '06), third baseman Edwin Encarnacion (Dragons '02), and catcher Ryan Hanigan (Dragons 2002-03) also are expected to play key roles with the Reds in 2009.

Former Dragons who will be competing for positions on the '09 Reds roster include outfielder Chris Dickerson (Dragons '04), pitchers Homer Bailey (Dragons '05), Daryl Thompson (Dragons '07) and Ramon Ramirez (Dragons '05) and infielders Paul Janish (Dragons 2005-06) and Adam Rosales (Dragons 2005-06).

The complete roster of Minor League players who will participate in the April 4 game may not be known until the day of the game.

Dragons season ticket holders, corporate partners and suite holders will receive ordering information this week and will be given the first opportunity to order tickets. If any tickets remain for the game after those orders have been processed, the next priority for tickets will go to members of the Dragons' season-ticket wait list.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081215&content_id=3717772&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

bounty37h
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
I am super excited for this game, and the fact that NC now has Reds baseball!!!! We always got a taaste of it through other MILB teams, but only 1 or 2 times a year. I got my tix for this game early the monring they went on sale, supposed to be right next to the Reds dugout.

OnBaseMachine
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Reds-Reds Futures to play at Fifth Third

By Hal McCoy | Monday, December 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
What do you think?

To commemorate 10 years of their existence and 10 years affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds, the Dayton Dragons came up with a novel idea.

The idea, which germinated last April, was so good that Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said, “A tremendous idead and I wish I had thought of it.”

Jocketty gave credit to the Class A Dayton Dragons for dreaming it up and presenting it to the Reds: An annual exhibition game before the season between the Reds and a Reds minor-league All-Star at Fifth Third Field.

The Reds bought the idea quickly and the first game will be played Saturday, April. 4, two days before the Reds open their 2009 season in Great American Ball Park.

“The only danger is they might beat us,” said Jocketty.

That could be so, especially after Reds director of minor league development Terry Reynolds tossed out a few names of possible minor-league participants.

“It is hard to nail down specific players at this point, especially pitchers who might have thrown a day or two previous o the game,” he said.

He mentioned: first baseman Yonder Alonzo, the team’s No. 1 draft pick in June; shortstop Chris Valaika, the Reds’ minor-league player of the year in 2008; shortstop/outfielder Todd Frazier; third baseman Juan Francisco, the teams minor-league hitter of the year; outfielder Drew Stubbs and catcher Devin Mesoraco, the team’s No. 1 draft pick in 2007.

“Most of these kids played in Dayton and this game will be a plum for them, a chance to show what they can do against the big team in front of everybody,” said Reynolds.

It is believed this is the first time any major-league team has played a game against an All-Star team made up of the club’s minor-league affiliates.

The minor-leaguers, called the Reds Futures, will come from Class A, Class AA and Class AAA teams.

REDS VERSUS REDS FUTURES

When: Saturday, April 4, 2009 (Time To be Determinted).

Where: Fifth Third Field, Dayton

What: Cincinnati Reds against an All-Star team of Reds minor-leaguers.

Tickets: First choice goes to season ticket holds, corporate partners and suite holds. If any tickets remain, the rest will be offered to those on the Dragons season ticket waiting list.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

OnBaseMachine
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
BP loves the idea:

A Great Idea in Dayton: Dragons Reds & Kids

by David Laurila

The Dayton Dragons held a press conference earlier this afternoon to announce what would be best described as a great idea. Cincinnati’s low-A affiliate, which plays at 8,200-seat Fifth Third Field, will host a game featuring the parent Reds against an all-star team comprised of the organization’s best minor league prospects. According to the team’s media relations department, the game “is believed to be the first of its kind in baseball in which a major league club matches up against its top prospects in a stadium that was once the home park for players of both clubs.” It will be held on April 4, two days before the Reds open the 2009 regular season at home against the Mets.

It should be noted that the Dragons are one of the most successful franchises in all of minor league baseball, having sold out every home game since the franchise started play in 2000. Among those to wear a Dragons’ uniform in recent years have been Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto, Devin Mesoraco and Drew Stubbs.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1129

camisadelgolf
12-16-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to go to this game. I'd kill and pay face value for a ticket.

dougdirt
12-16-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm so jealous of anyone who gets to go to this game. I'd kill and pay face value for a ticket.

From the sounds of it, tickets won't even go on sale to the public. I am going to have to try and pull some strings and attempt to get a media pass for Dayton.

camisadelgolf
12-16-2008, 03:34 AM
From the sounds of it, tickets won't even go on sale to the public. I am going to have to try and pull some strings and attempt to get a media pass for Dayton.

I have a camera. I'll pay for the gas money and kill one non-celebrity of your choosing for a media pass.

JayBruceFan
12-16-2008, 03:47 AM
I will be there for free

:D

camisadelgolf
12-16-2008, 04:45 AM
I will be there for free

:D

You know, I have always enjoyed your posts, and I'm a big Jay Bruce fan, too.

Anyway, if you want some free beer and food at the game, just save me a ticket for the game at Fifth Third Field. :pray: ;)

Mario-Rijo
12-16-2008, 05:10 AM

Anyway, if you want some free beer and food at the game, just save me a ticket for the game at Fifth Third Field. :pray: ;)

Maybe I am missing something, so I am gonna ask. How is it that you can attend the game while living in Germany? I realize you can make a trip but would you for an exhibition game? Or do you not actually live in Germany?

camisadelgolf
12-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Maybe I am missing something, so I am gonna ask. How is it that you can attend the game while living in Germany? I realize you can make a trip but would you for an exhibition game? Or do you not actually live in Germany?

I live in Germany at the moment, but I'll be in the States for a few months, maybe longer, depending on how it goes.

Mario-Rijo
12-16-2008, 06:06 AM
I live in Germany at the moment, but I'll be in the States for a few months, maybe longer, depending on how it goes.

O I C

bounty37h
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Cam, come on down to fine 'ol NC for the game, still plenty of tickets i think. There isnt much of anyhting around the stadium-ok, there is NOTHING around the stadium but a dirt parking lot-no restuarants or bars, I do mean NONE!!! I wil prob go out and tailgate, anyone interested in a RedsZone pre-future-game tailgate in NC?

camisadelgolf
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Cam, come on down to fine 'ol NC for the game, still plenty of tickets i think. There isnt much of anyhting around the stadium-ok, there is NOTHING around the stadium but a dirt parking lot-no restuarants or bars, I do mean NONE!!! I wil prob go out and tailgate, anyone interested in a RedsZone pre-future-game tailgate in NC?

I would love to go, and I'd gladly tailgate with you and anyone else from RedsZone, but I'm not sure I could do 18 hours of driving by myself in one weekend. If anyone from RedsZone wants to carpool, then I'd throw in more than my fair share of gas money, though.

Heath
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, as a Dragon Season Ticket Holder - I get some tickets - not sure of the cost yet thought. I just plunked down $800 for a 17 game packet.

If it's $30 like that Marlins game, no way.

JaxRed
12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
And.... camis thinks Tordi will have a breakout year (if given a chance)...... :D

camisadelgolf
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
And.... camis thinks Tordi will have a breakout year (if given a chance)...... :D

Yeah, just like this guy:
http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/Uploads/Images/Tom,%20acne%232%23.jpg

Vada Pinson Fan
12-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Last year my wife and I went to the Marlins-Reds game at 5th-3rd Field in Dayton and had a great time. Heck, I think it was last year??? LOL!!!, Man, I'm losing brain cells way to quickly, LOL!!! We saw Aaron Boone there and he was having a good time talking to his old teammates.

We share season tickets with 3 other friends/families and go to the Dragons games on a rotating basis. We have been lucky to have our turn fall on the 1st ever game at Fifth Third Field, the Midwest All-Star game, playoff games and such. Great seats behind third base but you have to be reay when those left-handed hitters come to bat. Check-swing line drives are the worst!!!

I don't think we'll get to see this year's preseason game (Reds vs. Reds Top Minor-Leaguers) unless the other families pass on this great idea. I would love to go to this game but if any of you do, be prepared b/c the Reds pull their starters after the 3rd inning and rightfully so, but it is still a lot of fun!!!! Go if you can!!!

JayBruceFan
12-17-2008, 03:49 AM

And Chris Heisey will win the Triple Crown

One can dream can't he? :D

JayBruceFan
12-17-2008, 03:49 AM

I enjoy my posts as well

:thumbup:

JayBruceFan
12-17-2008, 03:50 AM
And lets hope it doesn't rain like it did for the Reds/Marlins game

camisadelgolf
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
And lets hope it doesn't rain like it did for the Reds/Marlins game

I'll trade you an umbrella for a ticket. :D

bounty37h
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, as a Dragon Season Ticket Holder - I get some tickets - not sure of the cost yet thought. I just plunked down $800 for a 17 game packet.

If it's $30 like that Marlins game, no way.

Good God man, $800 for 17 game packet, how many seats is that, your own section? 17 games, is that some mini-season package?

GOYA
12-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Good God man, $800 for 17 game packet, how many seats is that, your own section? 17 games, is that some mini-season package?

I was thinking the same thing. The Bats have a 26 game package for just $199 a seat. But then, Dayton is always sold out.

dougdirt
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The Bats have a 26 game package for just $199 a seat. But then, Dayton is always sold out.

My guess is 4 seats, $12 seats. That would work out to $816 face value.

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd love to see it, but I'm sure it will be sold out. Is this one of those situations where it's basically a game between breaking camp and Opening Day? Maybe the Reds network will televise it. Wouldn't surprise me if a prospect started for the Reds as well as the "Futures' team. I guess they'll take prospects across all levels?

Should be able to field a prettty talented roster.

1B/3B/OF: Alfonso, Soto, Francisco, Stubbs, Heisey, Dorn, Duran, Rodriguez
Middle Infield: Valaika, Cozart, Bucholz, Puckett, Richar, Janish
Catcher: Moresco, Tatum. ????
Pitching: Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Lecure, Lotzcar (healthy?), Viola, Roenicke, Stewart, Herrera, Fisher

Others?

Jpup
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Someone needs to get with FSN and get this game on TV.

corkedbat
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Found the Addy below on Reds.com (MLB) - it's for contact about Broadcast issues. If people start showing interest this far out, they might plan on it (if they haven't already). Maybe letting the club know of our interest would help also.

http://http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/help/email.jsp?c_id=cin&primarySubject=Other&secondarySubject=Broadcasting&dest=gkamp@reds.com

dougdirt
12-18-2008, 04:04 PM

One thing that might be worth noting is that Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati/Dayton do broadcast some Dragons games throughout the season. It may be something that the Dragons decide to do and could be viewable for those in the Cincinnati/Dayton TWC market.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
One thing that might be worth noting is that Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati/Dayton do broadcast some Dragons games throughout the season. It may be something that the Dragons decide to do and could be viewable for those in the Cincinnati/Dayton TWC market.

Yes sir I will be on the lookout for it on TWC. In '07 they had Dragons games on demand for free and that was awesome. The '08 season for whatever reason they did not, that stunk.

dougdirt
12-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Yes sir I will be on the lookout for it on TWC. In '07 they had Dragons games on demand for free and that was awesome. The '08 season for whatever reason they did not, that stunk.
While they weren't on demand they still showed plenty of games live.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
While they weren't on demand they still showed plenty of games live.

Yes true.

redsof72
12-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Best bang for your buck as far as trying to get the Futures game on TV would be to send an email to Robert Murphy of the Dragons. According to news reports, the game was his idea and if he thinks the interest is there to put it on FSN, he is the type of guy who would take it as a challenge to try to make that happen. Since Murphy is also the person who makes the decision on how many, if any, Dragons games are televised and in which markets, you might want to express your thoughts on that too.

OnBaseMachine
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
The full roster hasn't been released yet but here are a few guys who will be playing in the Futures Game:

Chris Denove
Danny Dorn
Chris Heisey
Sean Henry
Carlos Fisher
Todd Frazier
Drew Stubbs
Sean Watson

JayBruceFan
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Denove over Tatum?

Interesting

OnBaseMachine
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Denove over Tatum?

Interesting

The full roster hasn't been revealed yet. Tatum could be on it.

Luvsbaseball
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I've also heard Jordan Smith will start the game in Dayton, and Dallas Buck will start the game in Carolina.

dougdirt
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I've also heard Jordan Smith will start the game in Dayton, and Dallas Buck will start the game in Carolina.

I too have heard that.

redsof72
03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
The full roster was announced today. Most everyone in the Baseball America top 30 prospects is on the Futures Team, minus Lotzkar, the injured Juan Duran, and a couple of others. Tatum is on the list.

JaxRed
03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Is Lotzkar healthy so far this spring?

redsof72
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
DAYTON, OH—An unprecedented collection of Major League prospects will appear at Fifth Third Field on Saturday, April 4th as part of the historic Cincinnati Reds Futures Game. The top five prospects in the Reds organization (based on Baseball America’s 2009 Top Prospects List) and most players on the Reds top 30 prospect list are scheduled to play in the game. The “Futures” will play the Cincinnati Reds in the Reds final pre-season game of 2009.

This is believed to be the first time ever that such a highly-regarded group of prospects has played against a major league team in a ballpark where many of the prospects once played on their climb toward the big leagues. Twenty-two (22) of the 29 players on the Futures Team roster have played for the Dayton Dragons.

Thirteen (13) of the top fourteen (14) position-player prospects in the Reds organization are scheduled to play in the game. Additionally, eight pitchers who are listed among the top 30 Reds prospects by Baseball America are scheduled to play. The Futures Team roster includes players from Single-A, Double-A, and Triple-A.

Highlighting the Futures Team Roster is the Reds 2008 first round pick and the seventh overall selection of the 2008 draft, first baseman Yonder Alonso. Alonso is currently the top-rated prospect in the Reds organization. Infielder-Outfielder Todd Frazier (#2 prospect), outfielder Drew Stubbs (#3 prospect), shortstop Chris Valaika (#4 prospect), and outfielder Yorman Rodriguez (#5 prospect) are also scheduled to play.

Alonso was one of college baseball’s top players last spring at the University of Miami. He led the Hurricanes to the College World Series and was a 1st Team All-American selection. He hit .370 with 24 home runs and led the nation in walks. His swing produces power to the alleys and is considered a perfect fit for Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark.

“Alonso is the rare hitter who has both plus power and the swing and pitch awareness to hit for a high average as well,” said Baseball America.

Frazier, who played for the Dragons in 2008, was the Reds supplemental first round draft pick in 2007. Frazier first gained national attention in 1998 when he led Toms River, New Jersey to the Little League World Series title. In his first full-season of professional baseball in 2008, Frazier belted 19 home runs and batted a combined .291 between Dayton and Sarasota.

Stubbs and Valaika were both members of the Dragons in 2007. Stubbs was the Reds first round draft pick in 2006 and finished the 2008 season by batting .293 in Triple-A with Louisville. Valaika was the Reds 2008 Minor League Player of the Year when he batted .317 to lead all Reds minor league players. He also hit 18 home runs and drove in 81 runs as a shortstop.

Rodriguez is the youngest player on the Futures Team at age 16. He signed with the Reds last year and was given the largest signing bonus ever awarded a Venezuelan player. He will make his professional debut in 2009 and is considered to be a power-hitter with blazing speed.

Other top 10 prospects in the Reds organization who are scheduled to play are third baseman Neftali Soto (#7 prospect), third baseman Juan Francisco (#8 prospect), and catcher Devin Mesoraco (#10 prospect).

The remainder of the Futures Team roster includes shortstop Zack Cozart (#19 prospect); outfielders Chris Heisey (#22 prospect), Danny Dorn (#23 prospect), and Sean Henry; catchers Craig Tatum (#28 prospect) and Chris Denove; and pitchers Jordan Smith (#13 prospect), Josh Roenicke (#14 prospect), Zach Stewart (#15 prospect), Dallas Buck (#21 prospect), Carlos Fisher (#24 prospect), Pedro Viola (#25 prospect), Sean Watson (#26 prospect), Robert Manuel (#27 prospect), Misael DeJesus, Ramon Geronimo, Aguido Gonzalez, Daniel Ray Herrera, Curtis Partch, Mace Thurman, and Philippe Valiquette. Viola, Roenicke and Herrera are still in contention to make the Reds major league opening day roster.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Dragons galore on Futures roster
Fans will recognize many of the players who will suit up against the Reds on Saturday.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

DAYTON — Officially, it's called the Reds Futures Game. Only when the players are introduced at Fifth Third Field on Saturday afternoon, April 4, it will look more like a homecoming game.

The Reds, who break spring training camp this week, will play a preseason game Friday against their top prospects in Zebulon, N.C. — home of their new Class AA Carolina Mudcats affiliate — then repeat the game Saturday at the home of the Dragons.

What makes it more interesting for the local fans is that more than half the players at one time played for the Class A Dragons, including as many as nine Reds and 22 on the Futures team.

Scheduled to be on the Futures roster are former Dragons position players Todd Frazier, Drew Stubbs, Chris Valaika, Chris Heisey, Zack Cozart, Neftali Soto, Juan Francisco, Devin Mesoraco, Craig Tatum and Chris Denove. Also on the roster are pitchers Jordan Smith, Zach Stewart, Carlos Fisher, Pedro Viola, Sean Watson, Ramon Geronimo, Aguido Gonzalez, Curtis Partch, Mace Thurman, Philippe Valiquette, Misael Dejesus and Robert Manuel.

First baseman Yonder Alonso, the Reds' first-round draft pick in last summer's free agent draft, also will play for the Futures squad. Alonso signed too late to join the Dragons, instead playing a few season-ending games at high Class A Sarasota. He is expected to start this season at Carolina. Sixteen-year-old Yorman Rodriguez also is on the roster.

The roster will have players assigned to Class AAA Louisville as well as Carolina and Sarasota. A few players likely will stay at Fifth Third Field, starting the season April 9 with the Dragons.

Still in the Reds camp this week are pitchers Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto and Pedro Viola, although Viola is a non-roster invitee. All played at one time for the Dragons, as well as infielders Edwin Encarnacion, Paul Janish, Adam Rosales and Joey Votto and outfielders Jay Bruce and Chris Dickerson.

Rodriguez, the teenager who reportedly signed with the Reds for more than $2 million — the most bonus money of any Venezuelan on record — did not play in the organization last summer and is expected to start with one of the rookie teams. At some point, either this year or next, he is expected to be assigned to the Dragons.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2009/03/31/ddn033109spfutures.html

HotCorner
03-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Is FSN broadcasting this game?

dougdirt
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Is Lotzkar healthy so far this spring?

He had a set back last week, but is throwing again.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Is FSN broadcasting this game?

I don't think so, but they should have. This is a game that just about every Reds fan would want to watch. I'm holding out hope that they add it at the last minute but that's doubtful.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
This is awesome. I'm looking forward to the game ... and I'm not even going to be there. It's nice to see the Reds taking this thing seriously - they didn't just assign a couple top prospects to the roster and then fill out the rest with scrubs. They assigned just about every available top prospect to the roster. I was surprised to see Yorman Rodriguez on the roster. With him being so young and having not played pro ball yet, I didn't think he would play in the game. Hopefully this game will draw plenty of attention from prospect sites like Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.

redsof72
03-31-2009, 12:39 PM
No TV for the game. Reds Radio Network will broadcast.

dougdirt
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
This is awesome. I'm looking forward to the game ... and I'm not even going to be there. It's nice to see the Reds taking this thing seriously - they didn't just assign a couple top prospects to the roster and then fill out the rest with scrubs. They assigned just about every available top prospect to the roster. I was surprised to see Yorman Rodriguez on the roster. With him being so young and having not played pro ball yet, I didn't think he would play in the game. Hopefully this game will draw plenty of attention from prospect sites like Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.

I know a site that will have plenty of coverage, video, pictures and audio. :cool:

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
I know a site that will have plenty of coverage, video, pictures and audio. :cool:

Now you really got me excited. I'll be sure to check it out. I'm leaving for Cincy on Sunday morning but I'll probably take my laptop with me so I can check out some of the coverage from the Futures Game.

JayBruceFan
03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Any word on who the Minor League manager will be?

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 06:59 PM
He had a set back last week, but is throwing again.

Is he expected to be ready for the start of the regular season?

dougdirt
03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Is he expected to be ready for the start of the regular season?

I haven't heard on that.

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Ex-Dragon Valaika to play for Futures against Reds

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Chris Valaika's back, but only in a cameo role Saturday, April 4, in the Fifth Third Field Futures Game staged by the Dragons and parent Reds, who will provide opposition to a team consisting of the organization's rising stars.

Valaika will play for the Futures, likely at shortstop, where he spent about half of the 2007 season with the Dragons, continuing to make a name for himself in the organization.

Valaika, a third-round selection the year before out of the University of California-Santa Barbara, hit .324 in his rookie season at Billings, Mont., then was hitting .307 with the Dragons when, after 79 games, he was promoted to Sarasota, Fla.

He slowed down only a little, hitting .253 the rest of '07, but pummeled Florida State League pitching for a .363 average last season before being promoted to Class AA Chattanooga, Tenn. He finished the season there, hitting .301, earning himself the Reds Minor League player of the year award and an invitation to this spring's major-league camp.

He is expected to begin this season at Class AAA Louisville. First, though, a return to Dayton.

"As far as coming back for this game, it will be great to play in front of those fans," Valaika said in a telephone call from spring training in Sarasota. "I came up with them.

"It was everything when I was there. The ballpark was beautiful. The fans came out in support. Some of them are down here at spring training. The booster club met you before road trips and treated you to breakfast. The whole thing. It was an unbelievable experience."

Valaika thinks playing in front of 8,500 fans a night helped him get ready for the majors.

"One hundred percent," Valaika said. "Having that many fans helps you. I think it's important for the fans to come out like that."

Saturday, they'll be out again.

How to go

What: Reds vs. Futures game

When: 3:05 p.m., Saturday, April 4

Where: Fifth Third Field

Tickets: A few $12 lawn seat tickets remain. Call (937) 228-2287 or visit the Web at DaytonDragons.com.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2009/04/01/ddn040109spdragons.html

redsof72
04-01-2009, 09:50 AM
The Dayton coaches will coach the Futures Team.

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Reds Future Team Is A Prospect Watcher’s Dream

Posted Apr. 1, 2009 3:47 pm by J.J. Cooper
Filed under: Daily Dish

As you would imagine, we love the Futures Game at Baseball America. It’s that rare chance to see prospect after prospect in one place on one day.

Now thanks to the cleverness of the Dayton Dragons staff, we’re about to get the next best thing as a follow-up. The Reds "Futures Team" will take on the big league club in exhibitions at the home of Double-A Carolina (Zebulon, N.C.) on Friday at 6:30 p.m., followed by a game at the low Class A Dragons’ stadium in Dayton, Ohio at 3:05 p.m. on Saturday.

If you like seeing prospects, this will be a slice of heaven. These aren’t some warmed over Triple-A rosters with a couple of other players sprinkled in. The Reds Future Team will include eight of the Top 10 prospects on this year’s Baseball America Top 10 Prospects list and 21 of the top 30 will be on the team

Of the nine prospects from the top 30 not on the team, three are still with the big league club (Chris Dickerson, Ryan Hannigan and Adam Rosales) and two were held back because of injuries (Kyle Lotzkar and Juan Duran).

Those that will play include Yonder Alonso (rated No. 1 in the Reds system), Todd Frazier (No. 2), Drew Stubbs (No. 3), Chris Valaika (No. 4), Yorman Rodriguez (No. 5), Neftali Soto (No. 6) , Juan Francisco (No. 8) and Devin Mesoraco (No. 10). Jordan Smith (No. 13) and Dallas Buck (No. 21) are expected to be Futures Team starters in the two games.

The idea came from a Dayton Dragons brainstorming session. Minor league teams like to host exhibition games with the big league club before the season stars, but its always hard to find an opponent (after all, if you’re going to pack up the major league team and send it to a minor league park, you want to send them to reward your own team’s affiliates). So the Dragons came up with the idea of having the Reds major leaguers play a squad of the team’s prospects.

"The staff of Dayton Dragons came up with it. They asked if we’d ever thought (of putting together a Futures Team)," Reds farm director Terry Reynolds said. "We truthfully hadn’t but thought it was a great idea. The more we thought about it the more we liked it."

The rest of the Futures Team roster comprises of: Zack Cozart (No. 19); outfielders Chris Heisey (No. 22), Danny Dorn (No. 23), and Sean Henry; catchers Craig Tatum (No. 28) and Chris Denove; and pitchers Josh Roenicke (No. 14), Zach Stewart (No. 15), Carlos Fisher (No. 24 prospect), Pedro Viola (No. 25 prospect), Sean Watson (No. 26 prospect), Robert Manuel (No. 27), Misael DeJesus, Ramon Geronimo, Aguido Gonzalez, Daniel Ray Herrera, Curtis Partch, Mace Thurman, and Philippe Valiquette.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=3021#more-3021

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Ex-Dragon Frazier looks forward to Futures game
The former first-round draft pick will start the season with the Class AA Carolina Mudcats.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Todd Frazier knows he's on the way up, but playing again in Dayton is a good thing, too.

"It's going to be great seeing everybody and that great stadium," said Frazier, who played with the Dragons for parts of the past two seasons. "I can't wait."

Saturday, April 4, Frazier, one of the top Cincinnati Reds prospects, will be somewhere on the field as the Reds play a Futures team made up of Frazier and all the rest of the premier prospects in their system. Friday, the teams will play an exhibition game in Zebulon, N.C., home of the Reds' new Class AA affiliate there. The teams will fly to Cincinnati after that game, then bus to Dayton on Saturday morning.

Game time at Fifth Third Field is 3:05 p.m. Most of the Futures team will consist of former Dragons, as will about a third of the Reds, including first baseman Joey Votto and right fielder Jay Bruce.

Although Frazier is on a fast track to make the Reds, he called from spring training this week as a member of the Class AA Carolina Mudcats, where he is expected to start the season next week after spending a good portion of time in the Reds' major-league camp.

"Moving up is great," said Frazier, "but when you move up, you don't always get that atmosphere we had in Dayton. It doesn't take away from the promotion, but it takes getting used to (playing in front of fewer fans)."

Frazier, a supplemental first-round free agent draft pick in 2007, started his career with rookie Billings, Mont., and was moved to Dayton for the final week of 2007, where he hit .318 with two homers and five RBIs in six games.

Last year, he started with the Dragons and had them in first place when he was promoted after 30 games, hitting .321 with seven homers and 20 RBIs. The Dragons quickly faded to last place.

The Dragons open their season April 9 with a new pitching coach, Tony Fossas, who was promoted from the rookie Gulf Coast League team when Dragons pitching coach Rigo Beltran was moved to Carolina to take the place of Tom Browning, arrested for alleged nonpayment of child support.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2009/04/02/ddn040209spdragons.html

reds44
04-02-2009, 02:22 AM
I wish FSN would broadcast this, but I'm definatley tuning in on the radio.

nineworldseries
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I'll be there, 10 rows back from home plate! I'm very excited... never been to Fifth Third Field before, either.

dougdirt
04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll be there, 10 rows back from home plate! I'm very excited... never been to Fifth Third Field before, either.

Then you are in for a treat my friend!

RED VAN HOT
04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Reds Future Team Is A Prospect Watcher’s Dream

Posted Apr. 1, 2009 3:47 pm by J.J. Cooper
Filed under: Daily Dish

Of the nine prospects from the top 30 not on the team, three are still with the big league club (Chris Dickerson, Ryan Hannigan and Adam Rosales) and two were held back because of injuries (Kyle Lotzkar and Juan Duran).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=3021#more-3021

I was aware of the injury to Duran, but I must have missed the one to Lotzkar. I thought he had fully recovered from the hairline fracture. Do you have any additional information?

Also, I believe Misael DeJesus is underrated as a prospect. Over the winter I saw that he pitched only 1/3 of an inning in the Dominican winter league and I thought he might have been inured. Do you know if he is healthy?

Thanks for all the updates.

Mario-Rijo
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Then you are in for a treat my friend!

Oh yeah a treat indeed, 5/3rd is very cool.

dougdirt
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I was aware of the injury to Duran, but I must have missed the one to Lotzkar. I thought he had fully recovered from the hairline fracture. Do you have any additional information?

Lotzkar is presumably fine. He is throwing again. He had a slight setback about a week and a half ago, but everything seems fine. He just got behind schedule and is likely being held out of the game because of it.

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Up next: The Reds leave Sarasota and head to Zebulon, N.C., home of their new Double-A affiliate, the Carolina Mudcats. On Friday, the Reds will play an exhibition against a team of Reds "Futures." Bronson Arroyo will start for the Reds against Minor Leaguer Dallas Buck. On Saturday, the team goes to Dayton, the Class A Midwest League affiliate for another "Futures" exhibition. Johnny Cueto makes his last tuneup start, facing Jordan Smith.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090402&content_id=4108522&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

In addition to all the prospects, fans will get to see former Dayton Dragon Johnny Cueto pitch in the game.

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Current Reds vs. Future Reds
April 2nd, 2009

reds-futures-logo For the first time in the history of the organization, the Cincinnati Reds will play two exhibition games against a collection of players made up from its own minor league system. Listed as a “Futures” game, the final 25 man roster will travel first to Carolina, then to Dayton to play a game against all All-Star cast of Reds minor leaguers.

The team and staff will leave Sarasota, Florida Friday morning on a private charter for Zebulon, Carolina, home to the Carolina Mudcats the Reds new Double-A franchise. That evening the Reds will take on a roster of about 29 players from the Reds minor leagues. Following the game, the entire travel party, minus a few minor league pitchers who threw that night, will board the charter flight again to head to Cincinnati. On Saturday morning, the players will board a bus and head to Fifth Third Field in Dayton where they will play again at 3:05.

Following the game in Dayton, the Reds will head back to Cincinnati to prepare for the Monday season opener against the Mets. The “Futures” team will be broken up and players will be sent to their affiliates who open their season later that same week.

This game style will be a first for the Cincinnati Reds and upon research; it does not appear that any other Major League franchise hold events like this. The game in Dayton is an opportunity for the fans to see many former Dragons make their return to Fifth Third Field both on the “Futures” and the Major League roster.

Former Dragon Jordan Smith, who appears to be starting the season in Louisville, will get the start for the “Futures” team. The starting pitcher for the Reds is still up in the air.

There will be a few extra players on hand in uniform for the Reds to serve as backups if necessary. These players are most likely to come from the Triple-A Louisville roster. There will also be three Triple-A umpires on hand to call the contest.

The “Futures” team is also scheduled to be managed by Todd Benzinger, who will be in his first year with the Dragons. Hitting Coach Tony Jaramillo and newly named pitching coach Tony Fossas will also be on hand to coach.

Tomorrow I will provide you with a picture of the special uniforms that the “Futures” team will be wearing. The Reds will wear their Spring Training/Batting Practice uniforms for the game.

The roster for the “Futures” team is as follows:

As mentioned a couple of pitchers are most likely to stay behind after the night game in Carolina and as always, this is subject to change. Daniel Ray Herarra is still in big league camp at the time this is published, but was listed on the Futures roster.

Personally, I am super excited for this event and think it is a GREAT showcase of what Cincinnati Reds fans have to look forward to. What are your thoughts on this event?

You can reach Corey by adding a comment to any post or by email at Corey@coreybrinn.com

http://www.coreybrinn.com/

Mario-Rijo
04-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Arroyo vs. Buck? I'm taking the futures team in that one.

dougdirt
04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Current Reds vs. Future Reds
April 2nd, 2009

reds-futures-logo For the first time in the history of the organization, the Cincinnati Reds will play two exhibition games against a collection of players made up from its own minor league system. Listed as a “Futures” game, the final 25 man roster will travel first to Carolina, then to Dayton to play a game against all All-Star cast of Reds minor leaguers.

The team and staff will leave Sarasota, Florida Friday morning on a private charter for Zebulon, Carolina, home to the Carolina Mudcats the Reds new Double-A franchise. That evening the Reds will take on a roster of about 29 players from the Reds minor leagues. Following the game, the entire travel party, minus a few minor league pitchers who threw that night, will board the charter flight again to head to Cincinnati. On Saturday morning, the players will board a bus and head to Fifth Third Field in Dayton where they will play again at 3:05.

Following the game in Dayton, the Reds will head back to Cincinnati to prepare for the Monday season opener against the Mets. The “Futures” team will be broken up and players will be sent to their affiliates who open their season later that same week.

This game style will be a first for the Cincinnati Reds and upon research; it does not appear that any other Major League franchise hold events like this. The game in Dayton is an opportunity for the fans to see many former Dragons make their return to Fifth Third Field both on the “Futures” and the Major League roster.

Former Dragon Jordan Smith, who appears to be starting the season in Louisville, will get the start for the “Futures” team. The starting pitcher for the Reds is still up in the air.

There will be a few extra players on hand in uniform for the Reds to serve as backups if necessary. These players are most likely to come from the Triple-A Louisville roster. There will also be three Triple-A umpires on hand to call the contest.

The “Futures” team is also scheduled to be managed by Todd Benzinger, who will be in his first year with the Dragons. Hitting Coach Tony Jaramillo and newly named pitching coach Tony Fossas will also be on hand to coach.

Tomorrow I will provide you with a picture of the special uniforms that the “Futures” team will be wearing. The Reds will wear their Spring Training/Batting Practice uniforms for the game.

The roster for the “Futures” team is as follows:

As mentioned a couple of pitchers are most likely to stay behind after the night game in Carolina and as always, this is subject to change. Daniel Ray Herarra is still in big league camp at the time this is published, but was listed on the Futures roster.

Personally, I am super excited for this event and think it is a GREAT showcase of what Cincinnati Reds fans have to look forward to. What are your thoughts on this event?

You can reach Corey by adding a comment to any post or by email at Corey@coreybrinn.com

I think that might be a surprise to Jordan, who last I knew, was fully intending on going to Carolina. I think maybe Corey just saw him with the Bats this spring and made that assumption. I would say the odds are very strong against him starting there.

GIDP
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
That article could mean a few things.

Reds starter unclear? Is Arroyo good to go?
Jordan going to AAA, does that mean a spot is open in AAA because Bailey isnt there if Arroyos hurt?

RED VAN HOT
04-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Arroyo vs. Buck? I'm taking the futures team in that one.

The other interesting aspect is that the Reds minor leaguers have been knocking the cover off the ball, while the Reds.....

Mario-Rijo
04-03-2009, 12:22 AM
The other interesting aspect is that the Reds minor leaguers have been knocking the cover off the ball, while the Reds.....

Exactly, this should be fun.

_Sir_Charles_
04-03-2009, 12:30 AM
The rest of the Futures Team roster comprises of: Zack Cozart (No. 19); outfielders Chris Heisey (No. 22), Danny Dorn (No. 23), and Sean Henry; catchers Craig Tatum (No. 28) and Chris Denove; and pitchers Josh Roenicke (No. 14), Zach Stewart (No. 15), Carlos Fisher (No. 24 prospect), Pedro Viola (No. 25 prospect), Sean Watson (No. 26 prospect), Robert Manuel (No. 27), Misael DeJesus, Ramon Geronimo, Aguido Gonzalez, Daniel Ray Herrera, Curtis Partch, Mace Thurman, and Philippe Valiquette.

Hmmmm....I wonder why Herrera is listed as being on the Futures team when he's still with the big club? Or did I miss something?

dougdirt
04-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Hmmmm....I wonder why Herrera is listed as being on the Futures team when he's still with the big club? Or did I miss something?

They didn't expect him to pitch absolutely lights out and stick around through the end of camp.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Ex-Dragon Stubbs looks forward to Futures game
2006 first-round draft pick is one of many former Dayton Dragons who will participate in Futures exhibition.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Friday, April 03, 2009

This is no ordinary exhibition game being played at Fifth Third Field on Saturday, April 4.

Even the participants realize that.

"It's fun," said outfielder Drew Stubbs, a former Dayton Dragon who will be playing for the Cincinnati Reds' Futures team vs. the Reds' major-league team. "With all the guys who played for the Dragons on the major-league team, it's going to be a neat thing.

"It will be neat being in that ballpark again. I think I can speak for all of us. We're excited."

For the game, the Reds have designated 22 of 29 players who used to play for the Dragons. They'll also have seven to nine Dragons' graduates on the big-league roster.

Stubbs, a first-round draft choice in 2006, spent the 2007 season here, hitting .270 with 12 homers, 43 RBIs and 23 stolen bases, all accomplished while nursing a sore big toe that needed surgery after the season.

"It still bothers me a little," Stubbs said, "but I can play."

He said he had a great time playing in Dayton.

"Of my (three) years playing, the one in Dayton was my most enjoyable," Stubbs said. "You feed off the energy of the crowd. I gave everything I had when I was there."

Stubbs has since moved up the organization, and expects to begin this season where he finished last season, at Class AAA Louisville, a step from the majors.

Most of the Futures players in this game will begin the season either at Louisville or Class AA Carolina, although at least one — pitcher Curtis Partch — is expected to stay here and play for the Dragons.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2009/04/03/ddn040309spdragons.html

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Baseball America has a premium article up on the Reds Futures Game. They love the idea and expect other organizations to copy the idea in future years. They revealed a few details that I hadn't heard yet. Eric Davis is supposed to throw out the first pitch in Dayton tomorrow, and several other former Reds are expected to be there. The Reds also put together a Reds Hall of Fame display. This is going to be awesome. I wish I could have been there.

This is a great way to bring in some news fans, especially in North Carolina.

membengal
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
In future years the Reds would be well served to get this game some TV coverage. Gracious.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Cincinnati Reds Futures Jerseys
April 3rd, 2009

http://www.coreybrinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/futures-jerseys.jpg

As I talked about yesterday, the Cincinnati Reds play an exhibition game on Saturday at Fifth Third Field in Dayton, Ohio against a team made up of the Reds top prospects in the minor leagues. Above is a picture of the jersey that the players on the “Futures” teamwill be wearing. The back will have the players name along with a jersey number, mostly that the players got to chose. This appears to be an exciting event and one that will hopefully be continued in the future.

I also posted the roster yesterday of the Futures team that will play against the actual 25-man roster of the Reds, plus a few extras that they are bringing from Triple-A. Although the Reds pitching is still unknown, who do you think will win this game?

Mario-Rijo
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
They ought to do this some season for Billings, those poor people probably never get to see the Reds in person.

Cyclone792
04-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I checked out the ticket situation and was surprised to see tickets available. Now there's fewer tickets available because we've got a group heading up there tomorrow. Should be an interesting event.

Mario-Rijo
04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I checked out the ticket situation and was surprised to see tickets available. Now there's fewer tickets available because we've got a group heading up there tomorrow. Should be an interesting event.

They are all out out on the hill behind CF-RF aren't they? No actual seats correct? If you tell me otherwise I'm there.

Cyclone792
04-03-2009, 06:28 PM
They are all out out on the hill behind CF-RF aren't they? No actual seats correct? If you tell me otherwise I'm there.

They're lawn seats, but we'll be in the park and that's all that matters.

nineworldseries
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Yep, I believe lawn seats are all that is left (no actual seats). I managed to snag a single ticket behind home plate a few weeks ago when there were a few single seats left (no pairs).

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Reds take on future prospects at Fifth Third today
Batting practice, prizes, exhibits to highlight day

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Saturday, April 04, 2009

DAYTON — Graduates of the Dayton Dragons return to Fifth Third Field today, April 4, some of them already with the parent Reds, most of them part of a Reds Futures team, the best of the organization's prospects.

The two teams will play an exhibition game beginning at 3:05 p.m. with, naturally, entertainment extending past the game when the Dragons are hosting the show.

Former Dragons expected to play for the Reds include first baseman Joey Votto, right fielder Jay Bruce, third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, catcher Ryan Hanigan, shortstop Paul Janish, left fielder Chris Dickerson and starting pitcher Johnny Cueto.

Every year of the Dragons except for the first, 2000, will be represented by at least one player, including catcher Devin Mesoraco and infielders Todd Frazier, Zack Cozart and Neftali Soto from last year's team. Jordan Smith, from the 2007 Dragons, is expected to start for the Futures, who will also have such former Dragons notables as Chris Valaika, Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey on the team.

Weather permitting, both teams have scheduled batting practice, so gates will open at 1 p.m. Tentative BP times are 12:55-1:40 p.m. for the Futures team, 1:40-2:25 p.m. for the Reds.

Former Reds outfielder Eric Davis will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Every fan will receive a Futures Game poster upon exiting the park at game's end.

A Reds Hall of Fame exhibit will be on display.

Reds president and chief executive officer Robert Castellini will address the fans during the game.

Love the mascots? Heater and Gem will be joined by Reds mascots Gapper, Mr. Red Legs and Rosie Red as well as the Dragons' Green Team and Mini-Dugout Dancers.

Sure, the game is sold out, but a limited number of lawn tickets are available at $12.

The Futures beat the Reds 12-4 in an exhibition game Friday in North Carolina.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2009/04/04/ddn040409spfutures.html

GIDP
04-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Id like them to play a AA v. AAA games as well. I dont know when they could fit it in but I would be awesome to see at GABP.

camisadelgolf
04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Who else here is going? I think I'm going to get there around 1:30.

dougdirt
04-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Who else here is going? I think I'm going to get there around 1:30.

I will be there at noon (gates don't open until one I believe, so don't take my arrival time as yours). No seats, press pass but will be walking around taking video and pictures all game/pre game. Will be wearing a gray hooded zip up sweatshirt with red writing on it, so if anyone see's me feel free to come introduce yourself and say hi.

camisadelgolf
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I'll be a short guy wearing black jeans and a Red hoody with 'Cincinnati' written across the front. I'll also have awkward facial hair since I dropped my razor in the toilet this morning. Don't talk to me unless you're going to buy me a beer (jk).

nineworldseries
04-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought gates were not opening until 2:05 ? It says one hour prior to game time on the Dayton Dragons site. If they're opening earlier, though, I wanna get there earlier! :)

camisadelgolf
04-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I forgot to mention that I am antisocial (as opposed to people who claim to be antisocial but are actually asocial). I also hate kids, and if I see that you have one with you, I will throw it. Other than that, I'm a pretty nice guy.

camisadelgolf
04-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Gates are at 1:00. There should be some batting practice going on around that time.

corkedbat
04-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I forgot to mention that I am antisocial (as opposed to people who claim to be antisocial but are actually asocial). I also hate kids, and if I see that you have one with you, I will throw it. Other than that, I'm a pretty nice guy.

I've always wondered how truly antisocial people communicated. Must be message boards. :D Wonder how they managed in the "old days"?

nineworldseries
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I'll be a short guy wearing black jeans and a Red hoody with 'Cincinnati' written across the front. I'll also have awkward facial hair since I dropped my razor in the toilet this morning. Don't talk to me unless you're going to buy me a beer (jk).

I think I might have seen you there. Were you keeping very detailed score in pen while standing out in left field? If so, I was next to you for a while wearing an Indians jacket and listening to Thom/Kent. I'm antisocial, too, though, so I didn't try to strike up a conversation. :)

nineworldseries
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the tip-off about the gate time as well. I got there right at 1:00 and was very glad I did.

camisadelgolf
04-05-2009, 04:58 AM
I think I might have seen you there. Were you keeping very detailed score in pen while standing out in left field? If so, I was next to you for a while wearing an Indians jacket and listening to Thom/Kent. I'm antisocial, too, though, so I didn't try to strike up a conversation. :)
Yep, that was me. I'm pretty intimidating, so I understand not talking to me.