PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy--Cunningham at it again???

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I have Cunningham on my radio here at work and he just said there are rumors we are trying to get Peavy???? Anything to look into or just Cunningham being Cunningham?

BEETTLEBUG
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Probably Billy C. just being his self he don't play right or center does he?

Orodle
12-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Not gunna happen. Wild Bill just must need something to fill some air. Peavy can say no to a trade with the Reds. Why would someone from warm San Diego want to come to Cincinnati and play for a team that did bad last year when he could okay a trade to a contender?

DTCromer
12-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I love Willie. He gets everyone riled up. . . he lives off that.

fewfirstchoice
12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Would be nice to add Peavy to Volquez, Cueto, and Harang to the rotation but its probably Cunningham having a little fun at the fans sake.

E. Davis 44
12-15-2008, 01:13 PM
well you'd be adding Peavy to Volquez and Harang because Cueto would be traded if we were to get Peavy, which I would do. Cueto might be as good as Peavy some day or he could be average, you just never know. Peavy is proven!

Slyder
12-15-2008, 01:13 PM
If Walt can convince Peavy to come to Cincy I will shut up about him and his moves. Just from what you all have said sounds like Cunningham is throwing it against a wall and hoping it stuck so he can claim he broke the story. Problem is their asking price probably starts at Cueto/Volquez, Stubs, and another top flight spect.

RED VAN HOT
12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't think it will happen because I don't believe the Reds will want to take on that much contract. Still, there is a case to be made. Peavy does want to go to a contender. The addition of Peavy, however, could make the Reds a contender. Also, the Reds could put together an appealing prospect package that would not weaken the ML club nor leave the minor league system bereft of talent.

redsfandan
12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Just Cunningham being Cunningham. I'd be shocked if it happened.

SidneySlicker
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Thats what you get for listening to Big Willie.

Hondo
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I would buy season tickets and I live in Kansas.

NatiRedGals
12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes If anything that amazing happened i would buy season tickets in a heartbeat. Also i would probably forget anything and everything most have thought bad about this organization going in the wrong direction.

ChatterRed
12-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Reds won't trade Cueto. He has more upside than any starting pitcher we have. He's only 22. His second half e.r.a. (after the league had a chance to scout him and hitter's had a chance to adjust to him) was only around 3.50. He is improving. Trading him for Peavy would be a mistake.

Now, having said that, the Padres weren't getting many good offers as return for Peavy. The Reds have a solid farm system. The Padres have alot of needs, not to mention needing outfielders. They are solid at first base and third base with young rising stars in Gonzalez and Kouzmanoff. They are weak at 2B and SS. The Reds could trade possibly Phillips, Bailey, Roenicke, and Stubbs or Dickerson. It gives the Padres a future starter, ready for the majors - reliever, two former first round draft picks in Stubbs and Bailey, or if they desire Dickerson because of his progress last year, then include him instead of Stubbs (although I'd rather keep Dickerson). I think that's a pretty good haul for San Diego. Probably better than other teams are offering.

Peavy, Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto - that is a first rate starting rotation.

redsfandan
12-18-2008, 05:01 AM
So we'd have the pitcher that alot of people want but we'd add holes at 2nd & center. Anyone we'd put at 2nd would be a downgrade and instead of needing to acquire only one starting outfielder we'd have to acquire two. This offseason we needed to add a bat to help the offense so, while I understand people would like to have Peavy, this would be a move that would hurt the offense/defense and, imo, wouldn't be worth it.

Hondo
12-18-2008, 11:23 AM
So we'd have the pitcher that alot of people want but we'd add holes at 2nd & center. Anyone we'd put at 2nd would be a downgrade and instead of needing to acquire only one starting outfielder we'd have to acquire two. This offseason we needed to add a bat to help the offense so, while I understand people would like to have Peavy, this would be a move that would hurt the offense/defense and, imo, wouldn't be worth it.

You just don't want to have him do ya???? Wouldn't it be terrible if the REDS actually had an Ace for the first time since Rijo was in his PRIME...

Parush the thought... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't give up Phillips and I doubt the Padres want him... they want young cheap players and I would clean out some Minor Leaguers to do just that...

Bailey, Dickerson, Dorn, Valika, etc... Whetever it takes outside of BRUCE, VOTTO...

If Cueto gets Peavy... So be it... This team held on to John Roper and he never did anything... Now that being said... I hope Cueto is a Dominant Starter, but for a Jake Peavy... Do it...

Orodle
12-18-2008, 11:28 AM
You just don't want to have him do ya???? Wouldn't it be terrible if the REDS actually had an Ace for the first time since Rijo was in his PRIME...

Parush the thought... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't give up Phillips and I doubt the Padres want him... they want young cheap players and I would clean out some Minor Leaguers to do just that...

Bailey, Dickerson, Dorn, Valika, etc... Whetever it takes outside of BRUCE, VOTTO...

If Cueto gets Peavy... So be it... This team held on to John Roper and he never did anything... Now that being said... I hope Cueto is a Dominant Starter, but for a Jake Peavy... Do it...

Couldnt have said it any better!

I(heart)Freel
12-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Yea, if it takes Cueto to get Peavy, you simply have to do it. Bird in hand. You hope Cueto is an ace. Peavy IS.

That said... theres just no way Peavy comes here. I wish he would. But we'd need his best friend or his wife's family to be from the area to have a shot.

schmidty622
12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah Peavy is a pipe dream.

No matter how many AAAA and AAA players your willing to throw at the Padres.

redsfandan
12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry guys, but we actually HAVE a decent rotation for once so I think the priority should be to help the offense and I'm not alone. The Reds want the offense and the defense to be improved from last season but the way that specific deal was structured we'd add Peavy at the expense of our offense/defense. One area would be improved. Two other areas would take a step back when we need THOSE areas to improve.

As for including Cueto in a deal to get Peavy just the financial considerations are a problem. Peavy will make $8 million in '09. Cueto will make less than a million. So $7+ million is added to the payroll which leaves alot less to spend on the bat (and outfield depth) we need. Some of the people that want Peavy also want a bat like Dye, Dunn, Burrell, Abreu or someone even more expensive. But if you replace Cuetos contract with Peavys contract we wouldn't be able to afford any of those players and who we'd be able to afford would become really, really limited.

If we could add Peavy without hurting the offense/defense and without squeezing the payroll it would be different. Construct that kind of deal.

Slyder
12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry guys, but we actually HAVE a decent rotation for once so I think the priority should be to help the offense and I'm not alone. The Reds want the offense and the defense to be improved from last season but the way that specific deal was structured we'd add Peavy at the expense of our offense/defense. One area would be improved. Two other areas would take a step back when we need THOSE areas to improve.

As for including Cueto in a deal to get Peavy just the financial considerations are a problem. Peavy will make $8 million in '09. Cueto will make less than a million. So $7+ million is added to the payroll which leaves alot less to spend on the bat (and outfield depth) we need. Some of the people that want Peavy also want a bat like Dye, Dunn, Burrell, Abreu or someone even more expensive. But if you replace Cuetos contract with Peavys contract we wouldn't be able to afford any of those players and who we'd be able to afford would become really, really limited.

If we could add Peavy without hurting the offense/defense and without squeezing the payroll it would be different. Construct that kind of deal.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. You KNOW what you're getting when you put Jake Peavy at the front of the rotation, you HOPE you're getting that with Cueto. Its far from guarenteed what Cueto will be. Peavy isnt even on the wrong side of 30 yet and would be a huge signal to the fan base that yes were back. As much as I loved watch Cueto and Volquez last year if Cueto + some spects (Besides Volquez, Bruce, and Votto) being traded meant Jake Peavy with an extension coming to Cincy I would consider it a HUGE positive this season and at worst a push 2-3 years down the road if Cueto becomes what we think he is.

With Peavy it would give us a stopper and if Harang is 07 Harang again that is almost undoubtedly the best 1-2 punch in baseball. If Volquez has indeed "turned the corner" and is the same guy thats 3 guys who almost guarentee you ERAs of 3.50 or LOWER. Some teams are lucky to have 2 Under 4!

redsfandan
12-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Split G GS GF W L S CG SHO IP ERA H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP
+-+------------+----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+------+------+----+----+----+---+----+---+----
Home 103 103 0 41 27 0 3 1 678 2.77 543 216 209 47 195 15 717 20
Away - 96 96 0 45 35 0 3 2 583 3.80 546 268 246 81 212 16 539 24

And it's far from a lock that Peavy would be the same pitcher without half his starts in spacious Petco. Plus you didn't even address the financial aspect of a Peavy contract on our payroll instead of a Cueto contract. Look, if you want to trade Cueto AND some "spects (Volquez, Bruce, and Votto)" for Peavy well that just doesn't make some sense to me.

Slyder
12-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Split G GS GF W L S CG SHO IP ERA H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP
+-+------------+----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+------+------+----+----+----+---+----+---+----
Home 103 103 0 41 27 0 3 1 678 2.77 543 216 209 47 195 15 717 20
Away - 96 96 0 45 35 0 3 2 583 3.80 546 268 246 81 212 16 539 24

And it's far from a lock that Peavy would be the same pitcher without half his starts in spacious Petco. Plus you didn't even address the financial aspect of a Peavy contract on our payroll instead of a Cueto contract. Look, if you want to trade Cueto AND some "spects (Volquez, Bruce, and Votto)" for Peavy well that just doesn't make some sense to me.

That should have said (not including or beyond Volquez, Bruce, and Votto) not as if id trade one of them plus Cueto. Because that would be crazy.

redsfandan
12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh so now you wanna make sense. :rolleyes: