PDA

View Full Version : White Death ver 2009.1

LawFive
12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
So here in good ole Cincy, we're expecting 1-3 inches of snow in the next 24 hours.

It's December. It's the Midwest. Snow happens.

So of course all the news stations have the obligatory "LIVE!!!!" reporters at the salt pile, an interstate, etc.

Tickers at the bottom of the screen alert parents that ABC day care is already closed the rest of the week.

Bosses round the globe are sending mass emails to employees reminding them that if they do not choose to brave the frozen tundra and make it in tomorrow, then we will be charged vacation days on a two-for-one basis.

Meanwhile SWAT teams are being stationed at every Kroger's to fend off the evil grandmas in their quest to snatch the very last box of granola.

Enough of the madness already! C'mon, spring.

paintmered
12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I grew up north of Dayton. I also lived in Cincy for five years. The distance between those locations is less than 70 miles. Yet for all the hysteria on Cincy's part, my hometown had very little of it. I always found that really interesting.

SunDeck
12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I went to confession yesterday. Just to be safe.

wolfboy
12-16-2008, 11:28 AM
The responses in this thread have been slow. I can only assume that the blizzard has knocked out the internets.

Chip R
12-16-2008, 11:51 AM
The responses in this thread have been slow. I can only assume that the blizzard has knocked out the internets.

Everyone is out getting the last of the bread and milk.

Bob Borkowski
12-16-2008, 12:20 PM
The snow is really coming down here in Indiana.

I just went to my mailbox and was barely able to find my way back to the front door. :D

Chip R
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
The snow is really coming down here in Indiana.

I just went to my mailbox and was barely able to find my way back to the front door. :D

Better get a news crew out there.

Heath
12-16-2008, 02:25 PM
In Dayton - there's nothing here. Just wind.

Cyclone792
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
We've probably got an inch or two on the ground. Nothing major, but it did come down at a good enough clip to get the streets slippery.

Of course, people are idiots and can't drive in even a small amount of snow. Artimis is reporting 12 accidents on the highways right now. The problem with snow here isn't the snow itself but rather the idiots who seemingly forget how to drive in it. Light to moderate snow really isn't all that difficult to drive in if people would use just a fraction of common sense.

Puffy
12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Its 73 and partly cloudy here in Northwest Florida.

KronoRed
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
60 and partly cloudy here in North Carolina.

I miss the cold :(

Ltlabner
12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
We've probably got an inch or two on the ground. Nothing major, but it did come down at a good enough clip to get the streets slippery.

Of course, people are idiots and can't drive in even a small amount of snow. Artimis is reporting 12 accidents on the highways right now. The problem with snow here isn't the snow itself but rather the idiots who seemingly forget how to drive in it. Light to moderate snow really isn't all that difficult to drive in if people would use just a fraction of common sense.

So gunning the gas while making turns and slamming on the brakes when the wind blows isn't a good idea?

BRM
12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Light to moderate snow really isn't all that difficult to drive in if people would use just a fraction of common sense.

Key words being "common sense". Some folks seem to lose their mind when it's snowing.

BRM
12-16-2008, 04:24 PM
So gunning the gas while making turns and slamming on the brakes when the wind blows isn't a good idea?

One day last winter, I got passed on an icy road by a knucklehead in a small pickup. Less than a mile up the road I saw him in a field where he lost control (duh, it's ice) and slid off the road, tearing up a section of fence.

15fan
12-16-2008, 04:51 PM

'Bout the same here in Atlanta.

I, however, do not miss cold. Or snow. Or ice.

westofyou
12-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Coldest it's been in 20 years here, there is snow on the flowers outside my window

Tuesday
High: 29
Low: 18

Wednesday
High: 39
Low: 32

Thursday
High: 34
Low: 22

Friday
High: 28

Saturday
High: 32
Low: 25

Heath
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Coldest it's been in 20 years here, there is snow on the flowers outside my window

Tuesday
High: 29
Low: 18

Wednesday
High: 39
Low: 32

Thursday
High: 34

Friday
High: 28

Saturday
High: 32
Low: 25

You've been reading the Portland, IN weather forecasts again, haven't you?

SunDeck
12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Its 73 and partly cloudy here in Northwest Florida.
For GOD'S SAKE, stay indoors!

paintmered
12-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I counted eight vehicles off the road between 844 and the mile I travel on I-675. There were two more vehicles wrecked inside my apartment complex. It's a tad icy in the Dayton area. It also took me an hour to make my five minute commute.

Brutus_the_Red
12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I counted eight vehicles off the road between 844 and the mile I travel on I-675. There were two more vehicles wrecked inside my apartment complex. It's a tad icy in the Dayton area. It also took me an hour to make my five minute commute.

I'm also in the Dayton area. It took me about 30 minutes longer than normal to get from east dayton back home to Vandalia. Luckily I heard about the issues on 75 and just took N. Dixie home. Needless to say, I saw 6 different accidents along the way. It iced over really fast.

MrCinatit
12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
A bit slick outside in Piqua, but not too terrible, really. My biggest entertainment coming home was watching a guy in what I can only assume was a 1-wheel drive get caught on a patch of ice about the size of my shoe.

SunDeck
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Slippery as all get out here in Bloomington. I did fine...on my bike.

AtomicDumpling
12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Days like today always make me appreciate the fact I own a home-based Internet business. No more miserable winter commutes for me. :D :cool:

I don't miss having to freeze my butt off on the way to work on these winter days.

I don't miss the morons who think they are immune to icy roads because they drive an SUV.

I don't miss the morons that drive 10 mph as soon as the first flake falls.

I don't miss using gallons of windshield washer fluid every week.

I don't miss driving to work in the dark at 8:00am and driving home in the dark at 5:00pm.

I just stay home in the Winter and wait for Spring and baseball.

Emin3mShady07
12-16-2008, 11:57 PM

Wow, I have never heard anyone actually ever say I miss the cold. Sure people say they miss the snow, but the cold? :eek:The cold? :eek:Wow. You sir (or madam to be safe) have a very differing opinion from my own:D.

It was 60 yesterday in Baltimore so I was running around outside in shorts and a tee shirt calling all of my friends(who mostly live in Michigan) and telling them I am experiencing a December without snow and how I love it so much.:)

*BaseClogger*
12-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Wow, I have never heard anyone actually ever say I miss the cold. Sure people say they miss the snow, but the cold? :eek:The cold? :eek:Wow. You sir (or madam to be safe) have a very differing opinion from my own:D.

It was 60 yesterday in Baltimore so I was running around outside in shorts and a tee shirt calling all of my friends(who mostly live in Michigan) and telling them I am experiencing a December without snow and how I love it so much.:)

You'll be home soon enough and I hear there's plenty of snow in Michigan... ;)

Slyder
12-17-2008, 12:13 AM
In Charleston last week there was a report of 70 accidents due to the weather.... 40were drivers from Ohio, 15 from Kentucky, and the rest from Huntington. Seriously though people are morons when it comes to driving in inclimate weather.

Oh its just snow watch me kick the snows ass....
*speeds up to 80*
*starts to turn around a corner*
*Begins the donut special (spin)*
*Stops in a creek bed*

Raisor
12-17-2008, 12:31 AM
You've been reading the Portland, IN weather forecasts again, haven't you?

My mom is from Portland, IN.

Emin3mShady07
12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
You'll be home soon enough and I hear there's plenty of snow in Michigan... ;)

Great thanks for reminding me:rolleyes:. The only plus about snow is you can play football in it with heavy coats on and snowpants and really have a good time, or snowbal wars, otherwise it kinda sucks...kills the grass, makes the roads more dangerous, causes shovelling related injuries, causes hypothermia, makes it hard to take little kids outside, people are more prone to getting sick, icicles could fall and hit you in the head - very dangerous, causes frost bite...I could go on forever...:explode:

Cyclone792
12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Here's another one ...

Driving in to work on 75 this morning. It was a little slippery on the roads this morning. Not too bad, but there were some slick spots ... and everything was at least wet.

So what's that mean? Well I went down 75 about 10 miles watching a big rig 18-wheeler (Miller High Life trailer) tail everyone he was behind in the fast lane. Traffic wasn't flying down the highway given the conditions, but it was at least moving about 60-65mph. Guess that wasn't fast enough for the dude driving the big Miller High Life truck though.

There is stupidity, and then there is stupidity.

KronoRed
12-17-2008, 03:44 PM

I grew up in Florida, I'm sick of warm weather and all the crud that comes with it :D

15fan
12-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Put the windows down and opened the sunroof on the drive home from work today. :cool:

HumnHilghtFreel
12-18-2008, 04:04 PM
I used to think I knew what snow was. Then I moved to Canada. THIS is snow. I had my truck snowed in last week and a bulldozer ended up helping me get it out.

WMR
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I used to think I knew what snow was. Then I moved to Canada. THIS is snow. I had my truck snowed in last week and a bulldozer ended up helping me get it out.

dude when did you move to canada? :eek:

HumnHilghtFreel
12-18-2008, 04:30 PM
dude when did you move to canada? :eek:

Been about a month now. Coming "home" for Christmas and whatnot in a few days though.

GAC
12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I counted eight vehicles off the road between 844 and the mile I travel on I-675. There were two more vehicles wrecked inside my apartment complex.

If anyone wants a new Honda then just drive up the road leading to my plant. Counted seven of them when I got off work. Just bring a tow truck to get them out of the ditch. ;)

The weather report says northern-central Ohio is going to get hit with another freezing mix after midnight Thursday night.

Why does this stuff always have to start coming down AFTER we 3rd shift people GET to work?

Highlifeman21
12-21-2008, 11:17 PM
We got a lil over 6 inches Friday, another 2 inches Saturday, and at least that much today...

That would probably leave Cincinnati closed for a week.

westofyou
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Portland got slammed, we have about a foot of snow and 10 plows in the whole city, the airport is closed, Amtrak, Greyhound the highways require chains or studs, the highways to the coast and the Gorge are closed....and we don't have salt trucks and no warmer weather until the end of the week.

I live in the city and my neighborhood is completely snowed in, no tire tracks on the road, a snowmobile cruised down the center the other day.

It's a freaking mess, and it's going to snow again today.. or freezing rain which is also a factor.

Ltlabner
12-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I have determined that I am already done with winter.

WMR
12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I've got a feeling that the 'irritates ltlabner' tag will encompass around 300 threads before it's all said and done. :D

Ltlabner
12-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I've got a feeling that the 'irritates ltlabner' tag will encompass around 300 threads before it's all said and done. :D

I'd take the over on that one.

:D

*BaseClogger*
12-22-2008, 11:49 PM
I came home from school to 12 inches of snow in my front yard! :eek:

Highlifeman21
12-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Portland got slammed, we have about a foot of snow and 10 plows in the whole city, the airport is closed, Amtrak, Greyhound the highways require chains or studs, the highways to the coast and the Gorge are closed....and we don't have salt trucks and no warmer weather until the end of the week.

I live in the city and my neighborhood is completely snowed in, no tire tracks on the road, a snowmobile cruised down the center the other day.

It's a freaking mess, and it's going to snow again today.. or freezing rain which is also a factor.

Won't lie, that sounds kinda fun in a Winter Wonderland kinda way.

Patrick Bateman
12-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Been about a month now. Coming "home" for Christmas and whatnot in a few days though.

What part are you living in?

HumnHilghtFreel
12-23-2008, 03:42 AM
What part are you living in?

Capital city, Ottawa.

savafan
12-24-2008, 03:18 AM
No snow, but it took me almost two hours getting home tonight. It's a drive that usually takes me 15 minutes. Most of that was the idiots in front of me allowing people speeding by in the next lane to cut in front of them, leaving us sitting idle for what seemed like forever. It took me 40 minutes to get from exit 3 to exit 2 on south 471, and another 40 minutes to get from exit 2 to the I-275 interchange.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Ltlabner
12-24-2008, 07:46 AM
No snow, but it took me almost two hours getting home tonight. It's a drive that usually takes me 15 minutes. Most of that was the idiots in front of me allowing people speeding by in the next lane to cut in front of them, leaving us sitting idle for what seemed like forever. It took me 40 minutes to get from exit 3 to exit 2 on south 471, and another 40 minutes to get from exit 2 to the I-275 interchange.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Was in Dayton last night visiting my grandparents. A 1 hour trip became 3 because of all the idiots afraid of rain.

Yes it was cold, yes the temp was right on the freezing line but to go from 70mph to 15mph on the highway was total overkill. We could have all set it on 40ish and been just fine.

It was bumper-to-bumper from Dayton to Franklin, Cincinnati-Dayton road to I275. I275 to Montgomery road. We had to get off at Montgomery road for a while to attend to a few things. When we got back on the highway 40 minutes later the traffic had cleared up. Had we stuck to it, however, it was red taillights as far as we could see so we would have continued to be stuck in traffic had we pushed forward.

It was far more dangerous in my driveway than it ever was on the interstate. Yet, for some bizarre reason, people flipped out over the rain.

Rain.
:angry: :bang: :rant2: :explode: :rant:

GAC
12-24-2008, 08:38 AM
We got ice up here in Bellefontaine over night. I went out and hit Walmart this morning (around 5 AM - less people to deal with), and the roads were one solid sheet of ice. I'm talking creeping along at 10-15 mph. It ain't pretty.

Then the temps are suppose to get up around 50 later on today. :lol:

SunDeck
12-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Rode my bike home from work last night. The roads were fine but there is one spot on campus at IU where the road was ice. I didn't see it and took a dive.
The worst part was the wind, blowing the sleet into my face.

westofyou
12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Today chains required on the interstate highways and local state highways, it took my wife an I 4 hours to take a bus 4 miles away and back yesterday. We're getting 3-5 inches more and are officially snowed in for Christmas....we'll be at home and all my siblings and parents will be at their glad we were not headed to Cincinnati since 800 flights have canceled since Saturday... by the weekend it wil be in the 50's, we're going to have some major flooding when this melts.

The city of Gresham, Oregon, declared an emergency and called in help from the National Guard, which dispatched six Humvees to get emergency responders through almost impassable roads, KOIN reported.

Multnomah County, which includes Portland, declared a state of emergency to last until January 5. Snow, rain or a mixture of both was in the Portland forecast through Monday, the National Weather Service said.

GAC
12-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Today chains required on the interstate highways and local state highways, it took my wife an I 4 hours to take a bus 4 miles away and back yesterday. We're getting 3-5 inches more and are officially snowed in for Christmas....we'll be at home and all my siblings and parents will be at their glad we were not headed to Cincinnati since 800 flights have canceled since Saturday... by the weekend it wil be in the 50's, we're going to have some major flooding when this melts.

The city of Gresham, Oregon, declared an emergency and called in help from the National Guard, which dispatched six Humvees to get emergency responders through almost impassable roads, KOIN reported.

Multnomah County, which includes Portland, declared a state of emergency to last until January 5. Snow, rain or a mixture of both was in the Portland forecast through Monday, the National Weather Service said.

It's not that I would want that much snow. I know you guys up there in Oregon really get nailed; but I actually do love winter, and wish we'd see more snow around here. The kids and I love to do various outdoor activities in the snow. It seems any more that the worst part of our winter comes in January-March.

One thing I do hate though is the ice and freezing rain. That is all we have gotten so far this winter. We've had a couple light dustings of snow, but really no accumulation. And that figures since I went out 3 weeks ago and bought myself a new toy because we did get nailed a few times last year, and the only way to clear off the drifted over driveway was to open the garage door and getting a running start :lol: ......

http://www.troybilt.com/wcsstore/pics/TroyBilt/31AM63P3766_prod.jpg

15fan
12-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I took a run on Christmas afternoon in shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. Was about 60 degrees.

:cool:

GAC
12-27-2008, 07:36 AM
I took a run on Christmas afternoon in shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. Was about 60 degrees.

:cool:

So ho many laps around the coffee table did you do? :D

Chip R
12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
And that figures since I went out 3 weeks ago and bought myself a new toy because we did get nailed a few times last year, and the only way to clear off the drifted over driveway was to open the garage door and getting a running start :lol: ......

http://www.troybilt.com/wcsstore/pics/TroyBilt/31AM63P3766_prod.jpg

Oh, dear God. People of Bellefontaine, run for your lives!

westofyou
12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
All our snow is gone, once again it's just rain and moss, so happy....

Bob Borkowski
01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
The forecasters here in the Cincinnati area are now throwing out those vague comments telling us that starting Monday night (1-26) there will be snow or maybe freezing rain or maybe both and 'the system could have quite a bit of moisture' in it.

So be prepared, Tri-Staters, for anything!

Or nothing. :p:

GAC
01-25-2009, 08:28 PM
The forecasters here in the Cincinnati area are now throwing out those vague comments telling us that starting Monday night (1-26) there will be snow or maybe freezing rain or maybe both and 'the system could have quite a bit of moisture' in it.

So be prepared, Tri-Staters, for anything!

Or nothing. :p:

A Bob Castellini forecast?.... "The snowing stops now!"

LawFive
01-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Run to the hills! Run for your lives!!

Sean_CaseyRules
01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
We're supposedly getting 7-10 inches within the next 24 hrs. wooo....

vaticanplum
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I am seriously over ice storms. I used to be one of those people who laughed at this city's overreaction, and then in the ice the day before Christmas Eve a huge van plowed into my car. I just got it back all fixed and shiny YESTERDAY. Now I am terrified to drive in this. My car weighs about 12 pounds and slides at the sight of a popsicle.

I didn't go to work today (genuinely sick) and don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow if it keeps up like this. My job is lame. But I'd feel terrible missing another day. But I am terrified of the ice and the big hill near me. I am a ball of stress the likes of which I would have laughed at a month and a half ago. Help.

Cyclone792
01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I am seriously over ice storms. I used to be one of those people who laughed at this city's overreaction, and then in the ice the day before Christmas Eve a huge van plowed into my car. I just got it back all fixed and shiny YESTERDAY. Now I am terrified to drive in this. My car weighs about 12 pounds and slides at the sight of a popsicle.

I didn't go to work today (genuinely sick) and don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow if it keeps up like this. My job is lame. But I'd feel terrible missing another day. But I am terrified of the ice and the big hill near me. I am a ball of stress the likes of which I would have laughed at a month and a half ago. Help.

What kind of car do you have, VP? Does it at least have front wheel drive? How is the tread on your tires (or how old are your tires)?

Typically with storms such as this I'll fill up the gas tank (adds up to 100 pounds of weight), and I might toss in a few more things to add some additional weight (not much, maybe 50-100 pounds or so). I just try to distribute a little bit of extra weight evenly throughout the cabin and trunk, but not too much to impact the braking. Then if necessary I'll just roll around in 2nd gear at 25-30mph and let the transmission/engine do most of my braking for me.

Cyclone792
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I will also add this ... with the looks of what we may be getting in the next 12-15 hours with the large amount of ice followed by another four to six inches of snow, I'd suggest people to work from home if they have the option or just take the day off.

Tomorrow might just be absolutely brutal.

vaticanplum
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
What kind of car do you have, VP? Does it at least have front wheel drive? How is the tread on your tires (or how old are your tires)?

Typically with storms such as this I'll fill up the gas tank (adds up to 100 pounds of weight), and I might toss in a few more things to add some additional weight (not much, maybe 50-100 pounds or so). I just try to distribute a little bit of extra weight evenly throughout the cabin and trunk, but not too much to impact the braking. Then if necessary I'll just roll around in 2nd gear at 25-30mph and let the transmission/engine do most of my braking for me.

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (with about three boxes of paper in the trunk). This is embarrassing, but I have no idea if it has front-wheel drive. Two of the tires (I can't remember which ones as they've been rotated since -- probably back at this point, I guess) are about a year old, the others are probably at least three years old. But does that even make a difference in ice?

I did fill up the car today for the precise reason of weighing it down, and even going up the street I was sliding all over the place -- and that was before the sleet started. It's Beechmont Hill that terrifies me. I *have* to go down it to get to work; there's no other route, and there's no going down Beechmont Hill without breaking. I used to be pretty confident as a driver in the snow. It's really a confidence issue at this point, and a desire not to be plowed into again and mess up my newly fixed car. How bad are things really supposed to be tomorrow, or is everyone freaking out for basically normal winter conditions?

Reds4Life
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
If we get all the ice they are saying, nobody is going anywhere, and you'll be lucky if the power stays on. Some are saying as much as a half inch of ice, then 4-6 inches on snow. The snow isn't starting until around 4am though noon tomorrow, everything before it is ice.

Cyclone792
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (with about three boxes of paper in the trunk). This is embarrassing, but I have no idea if it has front-wheel drive. Two of the tires (I can't remember which ones as they've been rotated since -- probably back at this point, I guess) are about a year old, the others are probably at least three years old. But does that even make a difference in ice?

I did fill up the car today for the precise reason of weighing it down, and even going up the street I was sliding all over the place -- and that was before the sleet started. It's Beechmont Hill that terrifies me. I *have* to go down it to get to work; there's no other route, and there's no going down Beechmont Hill without breaking. I used to be pretty confident as a driver in the snow. It's really a confidence issue at this point, and a desire not to be plowed into again and mess up my newly fixed car. How bad are things really supposed to be tomorrow, or is everyone freaking out for basically normal winter conditions?

Youv'e got front wheel drive in your Elantra, but you're right that it's extremely light. Looks like the curb weight is only just over 2,600 pounds or so. I'd check to see which set of tires you have on the front. If you have your older tires on the front and they're lacking in tread, you'll see a significant loss in traction. This is true even with simple rain too.

Even if your better tires were on the front though, it still probably isn't worth it tomorrow morning. I'm not on the east side so I'm not familiar with Beechmont Hill. But if it's a decent sized hill and we get the amount of ice that the people say we're going to get, I wouldn't even bother trying to drive in it tomorrow. It has the potential to be brutal for everyone, even those in 4WD vehicles with snow tires.

vaticanplum
01-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Thank you cyclone for doing all my research for me :) You are a helpful dude.

Thank you also for reassuring me that I'm not crazy. I just have been that girl in the office with a sense of superiority of "I made it to work, why can't everybody else?" so I imagine that girl sitting there saying it about me. But screw that girl. She's crazy.

Cyclone792
01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you cyclone for doing all my research for me :) You are a helpful dude.

Thank you also for reassuring me that I'm not crazy. I just have been that girl in the office with a sense of superiority of "I made it to work, why can't everybody else?" so I imagine that girl sitting there saying it about me. But screw that girl. She's crazy.

No worries, you're not crazy anymore.

I just ask myself if the risk is worth it, and for me it's clearly not. I worked from home today, and I'll either do the same tomorrow or just take the day off completely. I can do most things with my job from home, but not everything. I've just come to realize that nothing in my job is so important that it can't wait until Thursday anyway. I figure if 99 percent of people out there are honest with themselves about their job, they'd realize nothing is so important with it that it can't wait until Thursday too.

*BaseClogger*
01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
:lol:

You guys are this worried about six inches of snow?

vaticanplum
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Yep. Kooky, ain't we?

Reds4Life
01-27-2009, 06:45 PM

I'm worried about the ice, not so much the snow.

Remember that snow storm we had back in 06' and it took people 4-5 hours to get home? I had a family member have a heart attack while driving in it, and nobody could get there to help. He died. So yeah, I'm very paranoid about people I care about driving in conditions like that.

*BaseClogger*
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm worried about the ice, not so much the snow.

Remember that snow storm we had back in 06' and it took people 4-5 hours to get home? I had a family member have a heart attack while driving in it, and nobody could get there to help. He died. So yeah, I'm very paranoid about people I care about driving in conditions like that.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I would not have made my comment if I was aware of that situation. Sorry...

Reds4Life
01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that. I would not have made my comment if I was aware of that situation. Sorry...

No prob, you couldn't have known. :) Like Cyclone says, it's just not worth the risk. Hell the road crews here still haven't plowed my street from this morning yet. :rolleyes:

*BaseClogger*
01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
How are the road crews down here in Cincinnati? All I've ever known are the suburbs north of Detroit and this campus, which are always cleared...

Cyclone792
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Eh, the snow isn't the major problem - it's mostly the ice.

My perspective changed when I bought a new car too. All through high school, college and whatnot, I drove around in basically a beater. Start'er up, scrape'er off, drive around wherever in whatever weather. When the car doesn't do much else than run (sometimes barely), I'm not as worried about driving it around in snow and ice. Though getting stuck for several hours is always terrible, as R4L illustrated (sorry about your loss, R4L).

Then I spent some cash on a car ... and I'd rather just keep that car in the garage in this weather. ;)

Reds4Life
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Eh, the snow isn't the major problem - it's mostly the ice.

My perspective changed when I bought a new car too. All through high school, college and whatnot, I drove around in basically a beater. Start'er up, scrape'er off, drive around wherever in whatever weather. When the car doesn't do much else than run (sometimes barely), I'm not as worried about driving it around in snow and ice. Though getting stuck for several hours is always terrible, as R4L illustrated (sorry about your loss, R4L).

Then I spent some cash on a car ... and I'd rather just keep that car in the garage in this weather. ;)

I'm in the same boat. That is why I kept my old Explorer as a beater. It's a 4x4, does great in the snow. It's old 1997, with 122k miles on it, if it gets dinged or whatever, I don't really care.

Heath
01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
So far north of Dayton it is sleet and snow mixed.

I'm ok with that as long as it wants. Ice can go the other way.

Cyclone792
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
How are the road crews down here in Cincinnati? All I've ever known is the suburbs north of Detroit and this campus, which are always cleared...

The road crews are ok here, but they don't have the artillery or crew size that a place such as Detroit would have, I don't imagine.

The typical winter here is one or two moderate to large storms like this one and then maybe a half dozen smaller snows of say one to three inches or so. The crews here can handle the smaller storms with ease, but there's always one or two large systems during a winter that are a bit too big for the crews to handle right away and it takes them a day or so to clear everything up.

Ltlabner
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM

I wonder how many people know about these sorts of tricks? I've just been dropping the car into 2nd gear and toss on the 4WD for years now. Take my time, avoid braking and generally get there when I get there.

Took me 3.5 hours to get to WPAFB this morning. Normally takes about an hour. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go over to Batesville, Indiana in the morning. Sales guys are sorta like mailmen...neither rain, nor sleet....so I'll probably head out, factor in an extra 3 hours and get there when I get there.

SunDeck
01-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Central Indiana is a mess. IU is closed until noon, something that rarely happens. I do road checks for my workplace to determine whether we will open or not and I didn't see any trucks out yet (at 5:45). Contrast that to yesterday when we got less snow; they had the roads plowed by 6am.

WMR
01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
A Bob Castellini forecast?.... "The snowing stops now!"

LMAO!

MrCinatit
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Relatively brutal walk home from work this morning, but easily survivable.
Watching idiots in pickups who thought they could floor it simply because they were in a pickup - then spin out - was not so fun, though. Watched a couple almost take out some vehicles they were attempting to pass.

Ltlabner
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Holy crap.

This is the first time in 13 years I'm rescheduling sales calls because of the weather. I made it up to Dayton yesterday for appointments in the 3 to 4" of snow. But with the freezing rain turning to ice on top of the already accumulated ice AND 2" to 4" of snow falling I decided discretion was the better part of valor. Plus Clermont County is in a Level II emergency (don't travel unless you must) and the county where I'd be traveling too is reported to be a Level III (highways closed).

I have to be totally honest, however. As a man and someone who's always traveled regardless of weather I feel like a complete failure for packing it in.

vaticanplum
01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
I have to be totally honest, however. As a man and someone who's always traveled regardless of weather I feel like a complete failure for packing it in.

Me too. But Cyclone's right, there's little work-wise that can't wait a day when push comes to shove, whereas getting hurt or something could cost way more than a day of work. There's nothing to prove.

And I suspect I will adjust better to the idea later when I'm curled up with a book. I just hope everybody's power stays on.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I hope the ice never stops. No work for me today!

Ltlabner
01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Me too. But Cyclone's right, there's little work-wise that can't wait a day when push comes to shove, whereas getting hurt or something could cost way more than a day of work. There's nothing to prove.

Yep, rationally and logically I know this is right. But ego-wise it sucks! Stupid, stupid ego!

Kidding around aside, it is really nasty out there and only going to get worse as the temps drop and the snow falls. And, as you pointed out, power is going to be touchy today as the snow piles up on ice covered trees and branches start to snap.

Besides, I work from a home office, so it's not like I'm not going to do any work at all, just not any in front of the customer.

redsmetz
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
My wife drove into work in Price Hill yesterday only to find out she'd missed the call saying they were closing the office (they have a lot of elderly clients). Today we just slept late, had some pancakes for breakfast and we'll watch movies all day.

My office is only three blocks away, but I'm not going to bother to go down (I called my secretary and told her to stay home). I'll see if clients need anything from here and take care of it.

I'm regretting, though, not having gone and gotten some more salt yesterday. I may cop some from my landlord and replace it when things clear up.

Roy Tucker
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I made it in to work here in Fairfield from Mason. Slow going but I'm here. Roads are slow and very snowy. Snow is coming down like gangbusters. I-275 traffic was going about 30 mph.

paintmered
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
How can I find out what level snow emergency I have? (I'm in Greene county)

Edit: I just found it. Level 2.

Caseyfan21
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Ohio State is closed today. Only the second time in the last 5 years we've gotten a snow day. We got a day and a half a couple years ago. Nice to have my hardest day of the week off, although I will regret having to make up that lab later in the quarter.

redsmetz
01-28-2009, 12:08 PM
It might be a good day to start the Reds puzzle I got for Christmas, the one with the Reds Hall of Fame players (their own HOF).

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Channel 12 has been on most of the morning showing weather and traffic updates with Artimis cameras. One car spun out and got stuck on I-71 near the Kenwood cut, and sure enough two minutes later another car lost control and slammed into them ... all live too.

Then the two fools got out of their car and stood between their cars while other traffic was barely able to make it past on the highway.

vaticanplum
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I saw that, cyclone. My favorite part was the broadcasters yelling at the idiots just like we all do in our cars.

Official Level 3 snow emergencies in Hamilton and Warren counties now -- only emergency vehicles allowed. My office still hasn't closed. I'm really glad I didn't go in.

Stephenk29
01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Channel 12 has been on most of the morning showing weather and traffic updates with Artimis cameras. One car spun out and got stuck on I-71 near the Kenwood cut, and sure enough two minutes later another car lost control and slammed into them ... all live too.

Then the two fools got out of their car and stood between their cars while other traffic was barely able to make it past on the highway.

That same moron is still sitting there. He could back up after getting hit but couldn't seem to drive before the collision. Goof balls like that cause wrecks. I watched that whole and all I could think of is "what the heck are you doing?"

Although the roads are back, the news is making this out to be a 36 inch blizzard.

*BaseClogger*
01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Ohio State is closed today. Only the second time in the last 5 years we've gotten a snow day. We got a day and a half a couple years ago. Nice to have my hardest day of the week off, although I will regret having to make up that lab later in the quarter.

We finally canceled this morning, of course I had already woken up early! :runawaycr You guys and UC were smart enough to do it last night.

But I've got the same situation, now I have to make up a lab...

NYMoose
01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Snowing here in northern New York state. Forecast of 12 to 18 inches. The good news is that the temp is above zero!

redsfandan
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
24 hours of tv stations showing snow falling outside a truck driving around town. Is it really news that it's snowing?

LawFive
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I made it the 6 miles to work in Newtown today.

I was the only one.

KittyDuran
01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I made it to work from west side of Hamiltucky to Sharonville. Just getting out of my street, then subdivision was the worst part. Main Street, High Street, Route 4 were all plowed but pretty much deserted - considering the volume they have during regular rush-hour. At the time I left Butler Co was Level 1 and Hamilton Co was Level 2. Then around 10am - Butler Co went to Level 2 and Hamilton Co went to Level 3. So I'm stuck here at work! But hopefully things get better by 5pm.

BTW, only two people in the office didn't make it in - someone in Monroe and another person who lives in Clinton Co (Level 3).

Reds4Life
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
This crap is ridicilous, my car is encased in about 3/4 inch of ice, it took me 30 minutes to chip enough of the crap off just to get the door open.

15fan
01-28-2009, 03:13 PM
60 degrees here today.

light rain, though, so that's a bit of a drag.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Conveniently enough, I was too hung over to go into work anyway. This 'emergency' couldn't have had any better timing. And I thought my prayers were never answered . . .

BoydsOfSummer
01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I love my 4WD! :D

savafan
01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
So I made it into to work yesterday because no one called me to tell me that we had a 2 hour delay until 20 minutes after I had left. After those 2 hours I spent waiting on everyone else to get to work, they decided to close once people showed up. That was pretty nice, make them drive in the stuff and then send them home.

This morning was even worse. I couldn't even get into my car. It was 1) plowed in and 2) completely encased in ice. I called in this morning, almost positive that we would be closed, but no, my boss told me I was expected in today. I explained the situation, and she told me to try and make it in later once the weather got better. Rrrriiiiight. That never happened, it only got worse. Will I get in trouble for not going into work today? Maybe, but I don't care as long as I'm alive.

redsmetz
01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
My next door neighbor called and said we could put our cars in her driveway overnight so they don't get blocked in when they plow our street tonight (I hope). It's great to have nice neighbors! Of course, I had a dickens of a time getting the first car in the driver since it wasn't shoveled.

savafan
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
On top of every thing else, I had an icecicle fall and hit me in the neck. I'm just glad it didn't hit me point first or I probably would have bled to death in the snow.

SunDeck
01-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Here in Bloomington, they already canceled school tomorrow. My wife is going to egg the superintendent's house.

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
So I made it into to work yesterday because no one called me to tell me that we had a 2 hour delay until 20 minutes after I had left. After those 2 hours I spent waiting on everyone else to get to work, they decided to close once people showed up. That was pretty nice, make them drive in the stuff and then send them home.

This morning was even worse. I couldn't even get into my car. It was 1) plowed in and 2) completely encased in ice. I called in this morning, almost positive that we would be closed, but no, my boss told me I was expected in today. I explained the situation, and she told me to try and make it in later once the weather got better. Rrrriiiiight. That never happened, it only got worse. Will I get in trouble for not going into work today? Maybe, but I don't care as long as I'm alive.

There are a lot of companies and organizations out there that have little to no common sense. Or maybe they do have some common sense, but they just don't give a rats tail about their employees. Or maybe it's both, I don't know. It's just a shame though. It's a good thing I didn't go through what you went through, sava, because I'd have teed off on somebody.

Like I said last night though, 99 percent of people in the world have jobs that aren't so important that they can't wait an extra day or two. That's why I didn't even give two thoughts about going in today.

Chip R
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I love my 4WD! :D

I was out getting some quarters this afternoon and I was stopped behind two cars at a red light. The street was uphill and a Toyota SUV was in front of me. The light went green and the first car drove off but the SUV just sat there and couldn't get up. I backed up to give them an opportunity to back up and get up the hill. They backed up some but couldn't get up. So I just went around them in my Corolla right up the hill past them.

redsfan1966
01-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Question---if Hamilton County was at a level 3---why did Xavier and UC play their scheduled b-ball games tonight??? Hypothetically, couldn't law enforcement arrest everyone who drove to the games???

paintmered
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I was out getting some quarters this afternoon and I was stopped behind two cars at a red light. The street was uphill and a Toyota SUV was in front of me. The light went green and the first car drove off but the SUV just sat there and couldn't get up. I backed up to give them an opportunity to back up and get up the hill. They backed up some but couldn't get up. So I just went around them in my Corolla right up the hill past them.

Not all SUVs these days are AWD or 4WD. It also depends on the tires on the vehicle. It doesn't matter if you've got power to four wheels if you don't have traction with any of them.

OldRightHander
01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I drove to St. Louis last night, 12 hours of very slow plodding along. I made it with my rear wheel drive van...while I saw many four whee drive vehicles in the ditch and the median because the idiots driving them thought they could drive too fast for the conditions. A four wheel drive does not magically grant some kind of immunity to slick conditions. Anything will skid on ice. The tortoise was right. Slow and steady wins the race.

LoganBuck
01-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Not all SUVs these days are AWD or 4WD. It also depends on the tires on the vehicle. It doesn't matter if you've got power to four wheels if you don't have traction with any of them.

Yep in order for them to sell them, they are pushing the front wheel drive models. The fwd models get 3-4 mpgs better. The only advantage they have in snow is their weight. Otherwise the stink!

I had to pull my neighbors' Prius out of the side ditch this morning. There is something ironic about pulling a Prius out of a side ditch, with a 3/4 ton 4X4, with 12 inches of global warming on the ground.

BTW there is absolutely nothing under there to hook a log chain to! I know the bottom side of his bumper got scratched up. That was the first car that I came to!

The second, a half mile away, was another neighbor in his F150 4X4 with a lift kit and swamp tires. He was far enough into the ditch I couldn't get him out with my truck. I had to go get our skidloader to pull him out. So we get both ends of the spectrum.

Stephenk29
01-29-2009, 12:53 AM
I drove to St. Louis last night, 12 hours of very slow plodding along. I made it with my rear wheel drive van...while I saw many four whee drive vehicles in the ditch and the median because the idiots driving them thought they could drive too fast for the conditions. A four wheel drive does not magically grant some kind of immunity to slick conditions. Anything will skid on ice. The tortoise was right. Slow and steady wins the race.

ORH what part of STL did you head to?

OldRightHander
01-29-2009, 12:56 AM
ORH what part of STL did you head to?

Cahokia, IL. I got a load out of there earlier today and I'm now shut down in Rockford waiting on a morning delivery.

BoydsOfSummer
01-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah, some folks feel invincible in a 4X4. I still drive with some sense. I just love not worrying about shoveling snow though. I go over it or through it and never give it any concern.

Ltlabner
01-29-2009, 07:35 AM

Having 4WD doesn't mean much if (1) the driver doesn't know how to drive (2) the tires are bald and (3) the driver doesn't know how to drive.

MrCinatit
01-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm walking home this morning on a side street - it is not a disaster, but there is still a lot of snow and ice on it.
Good ol' Billy Bob in his pick up (complete with confederate flag, of course), comes screaming down the road at about 40 - but I can tell it's a keg of TNT ready to go off. So, I walk a little bit closer to the side of the road (sidewalks are out of the question right now).
Billy Bob takes that opportunity to slow down a bit, roll down the window, yell "Larn ta Drave!", then attempt to peal out.
Attempt. He plowed into a snow drift. In his wisdom, he floors it...forward, pushing himself into the snowdrift even more until he figures out he is going the wrong way. He slams it in reverse, and the tires are doing nothing but spinning and smoking.
By then, I'm simply standing at the side of the road, a crap-eating grin on my face. He sees me. I flash him a thumbs up and huge grin. "Great driving, pal!" And, I walk away.
By the time I rounded the corner a couple hundred yards away, he had accomplished nothing.
Karma can be a real bastard.

paintmered
01-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm walking home this morning on a side street - it is not a disaster, but there is still a lot of snow and ice on it.
Good ol' Billy Bob in his pick up (complete with confederate flag, of course), comes screaming down the road at about 40 - but I can tell it's a keg of TNT ready to go off. So, I walk a little bit closer to the side of the road (sidewalks are out of the question right now).
Billy Bob takes that opportunity to slow down a bit, roll down the window, yell "Larn ta Drave!", then attempt to peal out.
Attempt. He plowed into a snow drift. In his wisdom, he floors it...forward, pushing himself into the snowdrift even more until he figures out he is going the wrong way. He slams it in reverse, and the tires are doing nothing but spinning and smoking.
By then, I'm simply standing at the side of the road, a crap-eating grin on my face. He sees me. I flash him a thumbs up and huge grin. "Great driving, pal!" And, I walk away.
By the time I rounded the corner a couple hundred yards away, he had accomplished nothing.
Karma can be a real bastard.

I love Piqua.

WebScorpion
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep in order for them to sell them, they are pushing the front wheel drive models. The fwd models get 3-4 mpgs better. The only advantage they have in snow is their weight. Otherwise the stink!

I had to pull my neighbors' Prius out of the side ditch this morning. There is something ironic about pulling a Prius out of a side ditch, with a 3/4 ton 4X4, with 12 inches of global warming on the ground.

BTW there is absolutely nothing under there to hook a log chain to! I know the bottom side of his bumper got scratched up. That was the first car that I came to!

The second, a half mile away, was another neighbor in his F150 4X4 with a lift kit and swamp tires. He was far enough into the ditch I couldn't get him out with my truck. I had to go get our skidloader to pull him out. So we get both ends of the spectrum.

Of all the cars I've ever had in the snow, the Prius is my favorite. It has traction control, anti-lock brakes, and front wheel drive. I actually drove the front end into a ditch during a rainstorm, put it into reverse, and floored it to test the traction control....the Prius ignored the pedal on the floor and slooowly backed out of the ditch. No problem! It does the same thing on snow and in turns, etc. I can't get it to lose traction even when I try...how someone can get it stuck accidently, I don't know. :rolleyes:

To tow the Prius, there's an eye bolt in the hatch that screws directly into the front bumper, (there's a little plastic pop out circle and underneath is a threaded hole in the steel bumper) and there are 2 metal loops (one on the left and one on the right) on the underside of the rear bumper.

Why do people not read the manual of one of the most expensive devices they own? I also tested the out of gas functionality...I purposely ran out of gas and then drove on full electric power to the nearest gas station. The electric motor topped out around 45 mph. I love that little computer on wheels!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/carwash.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

SunDeck
01-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a Subaru Outback, which I bought so that I can get my canoe into the lowlands of the Monroe Reservoir, away from the bass boats. Since buying it we have only had two days where I could say I was actually glad to have AWD. Yesterday was one of them.
But if I didn't need the extra clearance you get with an Outback (and with my former truck, may it rest in pieces), I wouldn't have bought it. Front wheel drive is more than adequate for 99% of the snow we get in in mid to southern Indiana and Ohio.

Two hour delay here tomorrow. I have hired an armed guard to keep my wife from burning down the school superintendent's home.

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Just found out my kids school is closed tomorrow(the 4th day in a row). They are saying on the extended forecast a chance of accumulating snow on Monday and my kids school district already has a scheduled day off on Tuesday the 4th. Will they ever go to school again???

LoganBuck
01-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Of all the cars I've ever had in the snow, the Prius is my favorite. It has traction control, anti-lock brakes, and front wheel drive. I actually drove the front end into a ditch during a rainstorm, put it into reverse, and floored it to test the traction control....the Prius ignored the pedal on the floor and slooowly backed out of the ditch. No problem! It does the same thing on snow and in turns, etc. I can't get it to lose traction even when I try...how someone can get it stuck accidently, I don't know. :rolleyes:

To tow the Prius, there's an eye bolt in the hatch that screws directly into the front bumper, (there's a little plastic pop out circle and underneath is a threaded hole in the steel bumper) and there are 2 metal loops (one on the left and one on the right) on the underside of the rear bumper.

Why do people not read the manual of one of the most expensive devices they own? I also tested the out of gas functionality...I purposely ran out of gas and then drove on full electric power to the nearest gas station. The electric motor topped out around 45 mph. I love that little computer on wheels!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/carwash.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

I found those loops in the back, but the problem was my truck sat higher than his car. The scratches came from the log chain rubbing the bottom side of his bumper.

To be fair to the car, the road was not fit to be driving ANY car on. You needed ground clearance to get through. He bottomed out and went sideways. He followed the tracks that I had made and got out. I watched because I thought he would get hung up again.

WebScorpion
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I found those loops in the back, but the problem was my truck sat higher than his car. The scratches came from the log chain rubbing the bottom side of his bumper.

To be fair to the car, the road was not fit to be driving ANY car on. You needed ground clearance to get through. He bottomed out and went sideways. He followed the tracks that I had made and got out. I watched because I thought he would get hung up again.
Ok, that would definitely stop it. If there is 10 inches or more of snow, (maybe even less,) the undercarriage is completely covered, so it would pack the snow under it and lift the front wheels off the ground. I don't think traction control OR ABS work when your tires are in the air. :laugh: Plus, the car is extremely light, so the packed snow would be even more likely to lift it than other cars. Maybe they could install a rudder and use it as a sled at that point... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

You do realize pulling them out is a direct violation of Darwin's survival of the fittest law... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

BearcatShane
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Just found out my kids school is closed tomorrow(the 4th day in a row). They are saying on the extended forecast a chance of accumulating snow on Monday and my kids school district already has a scheduled day off on Tuesday the 4th. Will they ever go to school again???

They scheduled it already! I mean, from what I understand, we might get 3 inches Monday night, but the reports I'v seen say that this storm still has to come through the gulf coast and it could change. Why can't the school just wait and see what happens? Geez.

LoganBuck
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM
You do realize pulling them out is a direct violation of Darwin's survival of the fittest law... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

I know but I would look like the kid with all the toys who won't share. They see my truck, and farm equipment, and would probably call me anyway. It also keeps them from getting too ticked off when I drive something down the road that they can't pass during the summer.

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
They scheduled it already! I mean, from what I understand, we might get 3 inches Monday night, but the reports I'v seen say that this storm still has to come through the gulf coast and it could change. Why can't the school just wait and see what happens? Geez.

February 3th has been a scheduled off day since the beginning of the school year."Conference Exchange Day"...whatever that is...

GoReds33
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Who didn't expect this snowstorm? I've gotten over ten inches of snow so far today. It is just awesome. No school for me tomorrow! The forecasters said that we might get 1-2 inches of snow. Boy, were they wrong.

Ltlabner
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Who didn't expect this snowstorm? I've gotten over ten inches of snow so far today. It is just awesome. No school for me tomorrow! The forecasters said that we might get 1-2 inches of snow. Boy, were they wrong.

I looked out our bay window and with the gray skies, heavy snowfall and wind it looked like we were on the Great Plains or something.

Reds4Life
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Traffic is a mess, I was talking to a friend of mine, her commute home is usually 20 minutes. So far, it's been 2 hours, and she isn't even half way there yet.

Cyclone792
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Took me three hours to get home tonight. Normal commute time is about 30 minutes.

Cyclone792
02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Here's my view from sitting in traffic that just simply wasn't moving:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9974/feb32009snow747ov9.jpg

Reds4Life
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Is that on 747? I used to work just up the road if it was, on Devitt Drive.

Cyclone792
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Is that on 747? I used to work just up the road if it was, on Devitt Drive.

Yup, 747 heading north.

The hill heading up toward the light at Mulhauser was really fun. A big rig was stuck blocking one lane, and about 200 feet behind the big rig I watched a guy in a Civic get stuck and start blocking the other lane. Another driver and I threw our vehicles in park, then got out and gave the Civic a push so he could get going again.

Dom Heffner
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Here in Tampa today I put on a light jacket to ward off that 60 degree chill.:D

Reds4Life
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Yup, 747 heading north.

The hill heading up toward the light at Mulhauser was really fun. A big rig was stuck blocking one lane, and about 200 feet behind the big rig I watched a guy in a Civic get stuck and start blocking the other lane. Another driver and I threw our vehicles in park, then got out and gave the Civic a push so he could get going again.

Ugh, I'm glad I don't work out there anymore. Traffic in that area during normal weather is a disaster, can only imagine it tonight.

Redhook
02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I live just outside of Sharonville and we have 9 inches already. This is insane. How do weathermen miss a blizzard?

Cyclone792
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Ugh, I'm glad I don't work out there anymore. Traffic in that area during normal weather is a disaster, can only imagine it tonight.

Normally I just take 75 north. Today I decided to stay off the highway since I knew that was a disaster the entire way so I headed north on route 4 followed by the fork on 747. It was a good decision until I hit Tri-County, then traffic just stopped completely.

I will say this though ... route 4 heading through the City of Wyoming was clean as a whistle. As soon as I got out of Wyoming though, the streets were terrible.

Boss-Hog
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I will say this though ... route 4 heading through the City of Wyoming was clean as a whistle. As soon as I got out of Wyoming though, the streets were terrible.

As someone who grew up in Wyoming, I can't say that even remotely surprises me - gotta make sure there will be school tomorrow. ;)

GoReds33
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I live just outside of Sharonville and we have 9 inches already. This is insane. How do weathermen miss a blizzard?The weather on my phone yesterday said that there was a possibility of two feet if it hit us head on. I assumed it was a mis-print, so I was not prepared at all.

It's just going to be a bad day. My mother is in the hospital, and my father can't make it home because of the snow. He has a 2WD truck, with four ball tires.

Boss-Hog
02-03-2009, 10:47 PM
By the way, I live five minutes from work and it took me an hour and a half to get home this afternoon.

Reds4Life
02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
By the way, I live five minutes from work and it took me an hour and a half to get home this afternoon.

5 minutes? Hell I would have just left the car and walked.

Boss-Hog
02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
:) That's five minutes in a car...not on foot. Still, it probably wouldn't have taken me any less time, but I had no idea it was going to take an hour just to get out of the parking lot at my job.

paintmered
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Cincinnati gets pounded, Dayton gets a dusting. Ohio really has some weird weather.

Redhook
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
10 inches now in Sycamore Township. That's 18 inches of snow and half an inch of ice in a week.

OldRightHander
02-04-2009, 12:52 AM
It was in the 60s today in Billings. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow. I hope I'm driving out of here with a load tomorrow, though.

Chip R
02-04-2009, 01:42 AM

Or got some of the new mods to carry him home. ;)

Boss-Hog
02-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Or got some of the new mods to carry him home. ;)
:laugh:

KittyDuran
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, tried to get out of Sharonville last night at 5pm - no-go, so I just headed back to work and started my taxes. Stayed there until 7pm and made it home to Hamilton at about 8:45pm. This morning's commute wasn't too bad - Route 4 thru Fairfield was wet and clean... the rest - blah...! :thumbdown

HeatherC1212
02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
It took me almost three hours to get from Sharonville to Colerain Avenue (half back roads, half highway). I was trying to get onto I-275 but Mosteller was a parking lot so I went up Kemper to try and get on at 747. The whole Tri-County area was also a total parking lot though so I gave up on the highway all together until I hit Winton Road and then I could finally get on I-275 to go the rest of the way home. I passed out on my couch around 9:30 PM last night because I was so tired from the stress of driving home in such bad conditions. :(

Cyclone792
02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Took a little more than anhour to get to work this morning, which is twice as long as it normally takes. I-75 north of GE was a slow crawl, but then it opened up nicely once past GE.

The sun was out this morning, and it needs to stay out all day to help melt the snow still on the streets. The road crews in Butler County also have to do a better job than they've been doing. Even the highways and main roads (747, Union Centre, etc.) are still snow packed this morning. I'm not interested in dealing with this again leaving work today.

KittyDuran
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
It took me almost three hours to get from Sharonville to Colerain Avenue (half back roads, half highway). I was trying to get onto I-275 but Mosteller was a parking lot so I went up Kemper to try and get on at 747. The whole Tri-County area was also a total parking lot though so I gave up on the highway all together until I hit Winton Road and then I could finally get on I-275 to go the rest of the way home. I passed out on my couch around 9:30 PM last night because I was so tired from the stress of driving home in such bad conditions. :(Heather, you need to try Sharon Road - it's been a life-saver for me and another co-worker (who also stayed until 7pm), he lives in Mt. Healthy. You can take Sharon Road all the way out to Winton.

redsmetz
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Cincinnati gets pounded, Dayton gets a dusting. Ohio really has some weird weather.

I remember one of the old time meteorologists saying once one TV that when he studied meteorology, that he realized there were only two places in the world that had the sort of weather patterns that we have here in the Ohio River valley in Cincinnati. The other was some valley in China. I think it was the guy from Channel 5 back in the 60's, Tony Sands.

Reds4Life
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Talked to the friend of mine today, it took her 4 hours to get home. Usually a 25 minute drive.

cincyinco
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, its late March...
The biggest snow storm of the season approaches me while I wait in Denver, CO. Forcast calls for 8 to 16" by tonight continuing into tomorrow. Two more storms on the 7 day horizon.

Where has this been? Its been uncharacteristically hot here. Most days near or in the 70's. Looking forward to getting snowed in for a minute.