PDA

View Full Version : A left fielder no one's mentioned...

WildcatFan
12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Let me preface this by saying I am not supporting or refuting this idea — I just wanted to get a conversation started.

If Barry Bonds would be play for the league minimum like he said last year he would, who here would be willing to give him a spring training invite with the chance to win a starting spot?

Discuss

Slyder
12-16-2008, 09:07 AM
No way. He's got no knees, a cloud surrounds him whereever he goes, is a year old, a year out of baseball. Even if his knees let him come back theres way too many clouds of doubt associated with him to risk it. The PR hit has to be considered when it comes to the whole Mitchell investigation and Balco. If he wants to come back let an AL team grab him so he could be a full time dh.

chettt
12-16-2008, 09:39 AM
If you are going to go that route, why not a right-handed leftfielder. Dare I say.................Sammy, Sammy Sammy -------- :nono::nono::nono:

Red in Atl
12-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh god, I just puked in my mouth...

Emin3mShady07
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Hmm...If Bonds would play for league minimum I would sign him in a heartbeat. At that cheap, even if he is bad we could just sit him and not worry about it. Imagine the destruction he could cause with his bat if he is healthy. That's a big if, but it doesn't seem to expensive. I would love to have bonds. His stats were insane over the past few years.

WildcatFan
12-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I knew somebody would be for it. Sure would be hard to pass up one of the greatest hitters of all time for the league minimum.

texasdave
12-16-2008, 11:26 AM
This issue was addressed last June when Bonds stated that he had offered to play for any team in either league for the minimum. At that time I opined that the Reds were foolish for not taking Bonds up on that offer. They should have put Barry in the lineup up for a month and a half to knock the rust off. Then proceed to deal him at the deadline. Once any team signed Bonds AND he showed that he could put up other-wordly numbers, I believe the clamoring for Bonds at the deadline would have been long and loud. But there was an instant chorus of claims that signing Bonds would stain this franchise. I can see that point to a degree. However, I don't believe a month or two rental would have left such a big mark. Certainly any spot caused by a Bonds-signing pales in comparison to the decade-long blemish brought about by the team's performance in the new millenium. This team needed (and still needs) an infusion of talent. Signing Bonds would have provided such an opportunity.

Biff Pocoroba
12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I would stop cheering for them the moment the ink dried

mroby85
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I would stop cheering for them the moment the ink dried

You aren't a true Reds fan anyway then.

Z-Fly
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
It would depend on if the reds are planning on contending or not. If not, I would sign him just to sell some extra tickets. As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

brachial pleXUs
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, it might be a way to get the Reds highlights moved up from the end of Sportscenter (or sometimes not being shown at all). That's about all the merit I can find in signing Bonds. That being said, great thread Wildcat. Excellent job of creating discussion and staying objective, especially when the subject matter borders on the absurd:beerme:

Stephenk29
12-16-2008, 04:34 PM
His ego and baggage aside, I think he's nothing more than a DH anymore. I can't see him playing the OF everyday, and when he does it would easily be the worst D in the league. If we were an AL team I would think long and hard about it because that bat is probably still amazing. However, we need someone who can play every day and provide some insurance in the OF. Bonds could have a serious injury at the drop of a hat.

Emin3mShady07
12-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Bonds' lowest OBP in the last decade is .389 and his lowest slugging is .545. That prodution for league minimum?!?!?!?!? I don't care how the guy acts, I'm sorry. That is probably going to be better than Jermaine Dye or PAt Burrell. If Bonds plays for league minimum and does THAT he could be as big of a jerk as he wanted to in my book. He carried his team in 2002, a team that hated each other and had no chemistry, to the world series. Chemistry does not have much value IMO and also how hard is it to be happy when your team is winning? Most teams that win the world series are said to be very close...well duh, Everyone enjoys not losing. Has anyone ever heard anyone say this - "how does it feel after you won the world series?"
-"I am upset because I hate all of these guys and I can't bear to see them happy!"

A player like Bonds cannot be ignored just because he is a dick. The White Sox won the world series in 2005 with AJ Pierzynski arguably the biggest ass in MLB. The difference here is that Bonds is A LOT better than pierzynski.

redsfandan
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I would've considered Bonds a year ago (especially if the DH was an option) but it's telling that NO teams wanted to touch him. At this point, he's 44, has been out of the game for a year now, has the "questionable" personality/defense, and his trial is now imminent where last year it wasn't. He had some amazing stats when he played, and he may say he's not retired, but he's done.

WildcatFan
12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
This issue was addressed last June when Bonds stated that he had offered to play for any team in either league for the minimum. At that time I opined that the Reds were foolish for not taking Bonds up on that offer. They should have put Barry in the lineup up for a month and a half to knock the rust off. Then proceed to deal him at the deadline. Once any team signed Bonds AND he showed that he could put up other-wordly numbers, I believe the clamoring for Bonds at the deadline would have been long and loud. But there was an instant chorus of claims that signing Bonds would stain this franchise. I can see that point to a degree. However, I don't believe a month or two rental would have left such a big mark. Certainly any spot caused by a Bonds-signing pales in comparison to the decade-long blemish brought about by the team's performance in the new millenium. This team needed (and still needs) an infusion of talent. Signing Bonds would have provided such an opportunity.

That's an interesting take that I've never heard before. Basically, instead of saying 'We don't care about the history — we want this guy to lead us to the World Series,' you're saying 'We don't care about him as a person, but he can smash the ball and we can just use him for a blockbuster trade in July that will better our franchise.'

I think I would applaud that baseball resourcefulness. And if he is raking and is not too much of a defensive liability (we've discussed that left field is not the most demanding/important defensive position), maybe you hang onto him and see what he could do in September?

RedLakerFan24
12-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Manny Ramirez

mroby85
12-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Amen, Amen, Amen! lol

will never happen, but he's a perfect fit to the puzzle.

LouisvilleCARDS
12-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Heck no. You don't want this type of guy on a young team, I don't want some cancer to the clubhouse and circus atmosphere around this team with what we're trying to build. The only teams Bonds could goto and be controlled within is a team like the Yankees or something. The circus atmosphere wouldn't be any bigger than normal.

Think of the Chicago Bulls 3 peat from 96-98 when they brought on the very controversial Dennis Rodman. You had the best, most motivated player in the history of sports on the team, and one of the best coaches ever there to handle that, and it worked to perfection. Bonds could come back, but its going to take that kind of veteran club that knows how to control the circus so to speak to do it. We're certainly not one of those teams.

Emin3mShady07
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
^^Those Bulls teams win those championships simply because Michael Jordan is the greatest.

But Anyways, what cancer could Bonds possibly bring? A me attitude? Hell, if more players were focused on improving their own stats instead of worrying about what others did, I think the MLB would be better off. Bonds wants to crank out homers and actually produce, excuse him for wanting to help his team.

Maybe Bonds calls out his teammates. So what? Because the guy actually hates to lose he challenges other players to get better? Sounds kinda like what most coaches refer to as a great leader (which is why I think the whole leadership idea is a farce because anybody can call others out and tell them to improve but when push comes to shove they can't pull their own weight). Bonds was a jerk in San Fran no doubt, but he earned the right to be because he was THE best, how he got there is questionable, but what he did on the field was unparalleled.

He is a clubhouse cancer to young players? How? Why? I really doubt Bonds is going to sit there and just remind Cueto and Volquez everyday about how they suck. Bonds is a professional, he is not just going to sit there and rip on other guys to bring himself up. I don't think he has ever done anything like that. He might even have the opposite affect by showing Bruce and Votto how the greatest OFer of the modern era goes about his business because regarless of juice, you have to put in a ton of work to get where Bonds is at.

But all of this doesn't matter because....the guy said he would play for league minimum. You can't even sign willy frickin taveras for that little money. If Bonds has a below average year I'd bet his OBP is still over .380 and he slugs a somewhat decent percentage. That much production for what a million? Maybe less? Sign me up baby. 1 million isn't going to stop the reds from making a move, like many pointed out in the Ramon Hernandez thread, so they could still sign someone like Milton Bradley and just imagine a platoon of Bonds and Bradley. If the reds did that, I could see the baseball gods crying and just saying wow cincy, what you did with LF could bring tears to our eyes, it is so brilliant.

Carolina Red
12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Dusty would have a permanent erection if we signed Bonds.

redsfanmia
12-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Bonds would be a great influence on our young guys, he could show Joey Votto and Jay Bruce how to be professionals. I say lets do it.

DTCromer
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I think this may be a good year for Walt to be patient. He doesn't HAVE to find a great LF. I would take a chance on Juan Rivera or Baldelli or platoon. Either way, I think the key is to be patient here. I would be happy to contend for the Division title this year and set up '10 as OUR year to make a serious run.

Handofdeath
12-18-2008, 06:02 PM
No one is going to take a chance on him, nor should they. Everybody knows he's been juicing for years and he makes even Ty Cobb seem likable. When everyone was juicing, he was worth taking a chance on but that ship has sailed.

Stephenk29
12-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I've always heard he wasn't a clubhouse cancer at all. I think Omar Vizquel said something along the lines of him simply sitting by himself in his little corner all the time. No one bothered him and he didn't bother anyone. Doesn't surprise me a whole lot. He probably only speaks his mind when other guys cause a ruccus in the clubhouse (Kent).

Orenda
12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
There is definitely a double standard when it comes to Bonds because there are a lot players in the league who were caught for using some banned substance yet still have remained in the game and fans on a whole are fairly mum about it (not to mention the ones who were lucky enough to remain nameless). That being said I'm not a supporter of Bonds and I don't know if I could root for a reds team with him on it, but if Bonds was really willing to play for league minimum then he has "moneyball" written all over him, so I am a little shocked that no has talked to him. Even Sosa got his second chance, I guess it just shows how disliked the man is on a whole.

Handofdeath
12-18-2008, 10:57 PM
There is definitely a double standard when it comes to Bonds because there are a lot players in the league who were caught for using some banned substance yet still have remained in the game and fans on a whole are fairly mum about it (not to mention the ones who were lucky enough to remain nameless). That being said I'm not a supporter of Bonds and I don't know if I could root for a reds team with him on it, but if Bonds was really willing to play for league minimum then he has "moneyball" written all over him, so I am a little shocked that no has talked to him. Even Sosa got his second chance, I guess it just shows how disliked the man is on a whole.

If the Reds were an AL team I would actually be ok with them signing Sosa. In 2007 he had 21 HR's and 92 RBI's in just 114 games.

Hondo
12-19-2008, 03:01 PM
And you guys didn't like Dunns Defense...

Sign Adam Back for 8-10 Million

redsfandan
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
And you guys didn't like Dunns Defense...

Sign Adam Back for 8-10 Million

$8-10 million? If that's all that Dunn will cost than WELCOME BACK ADAM!!

LouisvilleCARDS
12-19-2008, 06:20 PM
^^Those Bulls teams win those championships simply because Michael Jordan is the greatest.

Of course, but Phil Jackson has said repeatedly that the circus atmosphere didn't affect the team, maybe it even provided motivation. But thats a veteran, VERY talented team. They took a screwloose player like Rodman who had constant run ins with authority, and didn't let it affect them, while taking advantage of his skills and porbably the best rebounder in basketball history at his size. You think if Rodman was traded from the Spurs to some low level team at the time, like the Raptors or Grizzlies, the effect would have been the same?

Chances are, Rodman would have burned out from the league WITHIN the year, the team would have imploded and only had more negativity around them with their bad season, and it would have made things worse for all parties.

With Bonds, does this team really need that kind of stuff? What if they sign him, there's more news about federal charges, he completely sucks with the team and the team is losing? There would be nothing at all positive about that. Hell, Junior himself was a great guy and there was all kinds of negativity surrounding him being on the team with him aging. Imagine a jerk like Bonds on the team, who probably has little of his past skills. The organization really doesn't need this.

redsfanmia
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM

But Anyways, what cancer could Bonds possibly bring? A me attitude? Hell, if more players were focused on improving their own stats instead of worrying about what others did, I think the MLB would be better off. Bonds wants to crank out homers and actually produce, excuse him for wanting to help his team.

Maybe Bonds calls out his teammates. So what? Because the guy actually hates to lose he challenges other players to get better? Sounds kinda like what most coaches refer to as a great leader (which is why I think the whole leadership idea is a farce because anybody can call others out and tell them to improve but when push comes to shove they can't pull their own weight). Bonds was a jerk in San Fran no doubt, but he earned the right to be because he was THE best, how he got there is questionable, but what he did on the field was unparalleled.

He is a clubhouse cancer to young players? How? Why? I really doubt Bonds is going to sit there and just remind Cueto and Volquez everyday about how they suck. Bonds is a professional, he is not just going to sit there and rip on other guys to bring himself up. I don't think he has ever done anything like that. He might even have the opposite affect by showing Bruce and Votto how the greatest OFer of the modern era goes about his business because regarless of juice, you have to put in a ton of work to get where Bonds is at.

But all of this doesn't matter because....the guy said he would play for league minimum. You can't even sign willy frickin taveras for that little money. If Bonds has a below average year I'd bet his OBP is still over .380 and he slugs a somewhat decent percentage. That much production for what a million? Maybe less? Sign me up baby. 1 million isn't going to stop the reds from making a move, like many pointed out in the Ramon Hernandez thread, so they could still sign someone like Milton Bradley and just imagine a platoon of Bonds and Bradley. If the reds did that, I could see the baseball gods crying and just saying wow cincy, what you did with LF could bring tears to our eyes, it is so brilliant.

How many Championships did the "great" Jordan win without Pippen? How many championships did the "great" Jordan win with the Wizards? Jordan was good but he could not carry Oscar Robertson or Wilt Chamberlin's jock IMO.

[/B]

Hondo
12-21-2008, 02:07 AM
How many Championships did the "great" Jordan win without Pippen? How many championships did the "great" Jordan win with the Wizards? Jordan was good but he could not carry Oscar Robertson or Wilt Chamberlin's jock IMO.

[/B]

Jordan was 39-40 with the Wizards... By the way this is Baseball...

So I think you wanna talk Ernie Banks...

redsfanmia
12-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Jordan was 39-40 with the Wizards... By the way this is Baseball...

So I think you wanna talk Ernie Banks...

Thanks for the heads up.

redsfandan
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
The post by redsfanmia wasn't the 1st one to include a basketball comparison. It was the 4th one. That said, to downplay what Jordan did THAT much, well, I'm not sure many would say the same. Especially when eras are taken into account. All three were some of the very, very best the NBA ever saw and, while some may pick another player over Jordan, I'd be more than happy with any of them. Back to baseball ...

There actually still IS a trial awaiting Bonds in march and NO team will take on that kind of spring training distraction with the chance the player may not be allowed to even play for them. So if you want to talk about Bonds you may as well start a poll on whether he'll be elected to the hall of fame in jan. 2013.

PedroBourbon
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, it might be a way to get the Reds highlights moved up from the end of Sportscenter (or sometimes not being shown at all). That's about all the merit I can find in signing Bonds. That being said, great thread Wildcat. Excellent job of creating discussion and staying objective, especially when the subject matter borders on the absurd:beerme:

Maybe if we signed some Duke basketball players and Brett Favre along with Barry we would be the LEAD story every night on Sportscenter!!!!