PDA

View Full Version : Do MLB Hitters Change Their Strategy at Pitchers' Parks

EddieMilner
12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
I was just reading the piece on ESPN.com on whether it is Petco or Peavy that makes him greathttp://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24204&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1. And how he strikes out quite a few players and that will occur anywhere. This idea sparked a question in my mind. When a Major League Hitter is at a Petco is his strategy greatly different than if he was batting at GABP? I can only assume that most major league hitters are aware that a ball hit at Petco is much less likely to be a HR than at GABP. Does that make them sit and wait for a more perfect pitch? Does it lead to them getting behind in the count trying to get that pitch and striking out?

Just a thought.

Emin3mShady07
12-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I think, if there is any difference, it would be the other way around. From my personal experience, I try to swing for the fences and be more selective when I am hitting at a smaller ballpark because in the big park even if I hit the ball really well, then it still most likely won't be a homerun. But that's just me. I'd say hitters probably just try to hit the ball hard every time they are at bat (no kidding right?) and adjust more to the pitcher than the actual ballpark.

SarasotaFan
12-18-2008, 09:27 AM
hitters will continue to be themselves. don't think cause they're in a hitter friendly park they are going to try and swing for the fences - maybe if they're "hot" / "in the zone" they might let 1 swing fly during 1 at-bat; maybe cheat for a fastball in a certain situation and see what happens. but after that they'd go back to normal and just try to get a hit - if it goes out it goes out.

Stephenk29
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I can see some players changing their approach. A park like Fenway will turn routine flyballs into doubles or homers. On the whole though I don't see players attempting to change their swing a whole lot. Guys like A-Rod maybe, he could probably drop a bomb if its in his hitters zone at any park.