PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Here is the recap of the Reds Hot Stove League show for 12-16-08.

Marty and Thom were the hosts. They said over 17,000 attended RedsFest last weekend and praised the organization for their work.

Marty said Furcal signed with the Braves and if the Nats don't sign Texeria, they will try to sign Orlando Hudson and Dunn. Thom doesn't think the Nats will sign Dunn and they talked about how bad the Nats organization is.

A caller wanted to know why people don't think much about adding Pat Burrell. Marty said he's too expensive and he's just a RH version of Dunn.

Someone from the mental home asked if Roger Clemens would come out of retirement to play for the Reds since he's originally from Dayton. Marty said no chance since he has too much baggage.

Another person asked about a wide receiver who plays for Indiana University who is in the Reds organization.

A caller said that Arroyo made some off color remarks at the kids press conference on Saturday and wanted Marty's opinion. Marty said he couldn't hardly understand a word anyone said up there.

Another caller said that Burrell and Dunn aren't going to hit .300. Marty went off on the guy and said they were paid to hit HRs and drive in runs and he could care less about Dunn's OBP.

Someone mentioned that the 4 recent expansion teams have made it to the world series and the Reds haven't made the playoffs since 1995 and wanted to know if there were any similarities. Thom said the expansion teams were built differently.

Someone asked what they thought about EE going to LF and Wiggington to 3rd. Marty said he was OK with that or vice versa. Thom said that if they wanted EE in LF he should have been in extended ST or playing there in winter ball.

Another person said that it looks like the only FA the Reds will sign may be Wiggington and that may not be a bad thing to be patient. Thom agreed.

The mental patient's bunkmate called in and suggested moving Keppinger to CF (I'm not making this up, folks) Marty said he has enough problems playing SS.

Another person said that Walt was a good hire and if signing David Eckstein would be a good idea. Thom said he's a winning player. The caller asked about Nix. Thom said he's either been injured or hasn't put it together but he's young.

Another caller suggested Rosales be the 5th infielder. Marty said the 5th IFer should either be a good hitter or a good defender and Rosales is more the latter than the former. Thom still likes Hariston.

Another person asked Marty if they could synch the radio and TV signals so there's no delay. Marty doesn't like the delay and wishes they could synch up. The caller seriously suggested Marty delay his calls for a few seconds. Marty said he couldn't do that.

The last caller asked if the Reds had any interest in Jason Marquis. Thom said no one has any interest in him.

Highlifeman21
12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Thank you Chip!

Ltlabner
12-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow...sounds like the HSL callers were nuttier than normal.

Blimpie
12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
A caller said that Arroyo made some off color remarks at the kids press conference on Saturday and wanted Marty's opinion. Marty said he couldn't hardly understand a word anyone said up there.
I was sitting in the crowd at the time. If they were referring to what I think they are, it concerned a name Arroyo called Keppinger while they were both on stage.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

Blimpie
12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
By the way, thanks for pulling that together Chip (as always)....

This one sounded especially painful.

Raisor
12-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Chip,

I think you nee an intervention.

Raisor
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Another caller said that Burrell and Dunn aren't going to hit .300. Marty went off on the guy and said they were paid to hit HRs and drive in runs and he could care less about Dunn's OBP.

You'd think that after watching 6000 or so games in person you might have a better understanding on how runs score.

;)

RedEye
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
You'd think that after watching 6000 or so games in person you might have a better understanding on how runs score.

;)

Seriously. Marty drives me bonkers.

KronoRed
12-16-2008, 09:26 PM

;)

Good baseball players will them in.

nate
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Question, Chip. Did you lose a bet or were you "double-dog dared" to listen to this?

Spitball
12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Marty said Furcal signed with the Braves...

I guess Marty hadn't visited the ESPN site for the latest.

alexad
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I listened to the last 15 minutes and while Thom was very nice and answering questions, Marty appeared to be in a rush to get out of there. He was rude. OF course when is he not rude. Thom seems to have more insight and even when the caller is totally off this planet, he is nice, while Marty makes such a big deal about stuff.

Tom Servo
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
The last caller asked if the Reds had any interest in Jason Marquis. Thom said no one has any interest in him.
:lol:

kinda reminds me of a joke from The Simpsons (everything reminds me of a Simpsons joke fwiw)

Sherri: She was looking at Nelson!
Kids: [taunting] Lisa likes Nelson!
Milhouse: She does not!
Kids: [taunting] Milhouse likes Lisa!
Janey: He does not!
Kids: [taunting] Janey likes Milhouse!
Uter: She does not!
Kids: [taunting] Uter likes Milhouse!
Mr. Largo: Nobody likes Milhouse!

Marc D
12-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Of course this is the same father and son duo that called for Norris Hopper to be the starting LFer over Dunn a couple of years ago so I'm thinking maybe they aren't as smart as they will tell you they are.

Someone mentioned that the 4 recent expansion teams have made it to the world series and the Reds haven't made the playoffs since 1995 and wanted to know if there were any similarities. Thom said the expansion teams were built differently.

Yeah, they were built well.

You are a better man than I listening to that stuff Chip.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I was sitting in the crowd at the time. If they were referring to what I think they are, it concerned a name Arroyo called Keppinger while they were both on stage.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

I missed that part, what did Arroyo call Kepp?

Thanks Chip.

4256 Hits
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM

;)

I was thinking how does Marty know that the Phils and the Reds paid them to hit HR and drive in runs? Did he ask the owners, GM's. :confused:

Marty just continues to show how close minded he is. If a player doesn't fit in the small little box he thinks they should they don't belong on the Reds.

GADawg
12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
some of that conversation sounds as if it's a foregone conclusion that Wigginton will(or is) a Red...I couldn't wade through that Taveres, Wigginton thread any longer...did I miss something or just misread?

membengal
12-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Thanks Chip.

Taveras

Raisor
12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Taveras

I'm surprised a fight didn't start right there.

Ron Madden
12-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks Chip, :thumbup:

Isn't Marty paid to call play by play, interact with Fans and promote Reds Baseball?

Marty starts the show out every week with snide remarks about Adam Dunn and Jim Bowden. He wears his hatred on his sleeve.

Marty yells at and hangs up on any fan that dares to defend Adam Dunns value to run production...

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT HIS OBP! DUNN IS NOT PAID TO WALK! HE IS PAID TO HIT HR"S AND DRIVE IN RUNS!

Is it because Marty fails to understand that the most efficient way to score runs is by avoiding making outs? Or is it that he is too stubborn to open his mind enough to find out if his long held beliefs are really true or False?

The Reds have paid both Marty and Dunn a lot of money the last few years.

IMHO between the two of them, Adam Dunn has better performed his his job discription.

:rant:

nate
12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks Chip, :thumbup:

Isn't Marty paid to call play by play, interact with Fans and promote Reds Baseball?

Marty starts the show out every week with snide remarks about Adam Dunn and Jim Bowden. He wears his hatred on his sleeve.

Marty yells at and hangs up on any fan that dares to defend Adam Dunns value to run production...

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT HIS OBP! DUNN IS NOT PAID TO WALK! HE IS PAID TO HIT HR"S AND DRIVE IN RUNS!

Is it because Marty fails to understand that the most efficient way to score runs is by avoiding making outs? Or is it that he is too stubborn to open his mind enough to find out if his long held beliefs are really true or False?

IMHO between the two of them, Adam Dunn has better performed his his job discription.

:rant:

It's what keeps his hair up.

lollipopcurve
12-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Chip. Maybe you can think of it as collecting evidence?

membengal
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm surprised a fight didn't start right there.

Fathers gasped, mothers burst into tears and covered their children's ears, and chairs were about to be thrown. The ultimate insult.

Blimpie
12-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks Chip.I believe the question from the audience pertainined to the types of nice things that each of the players had purchased for themselves since becoming big leaguers.

At that point, Phillips was asked to showcase his Flavor Flav wristwatch for the crowd. Apparently, it was off the charts on the Bling-o-Meter and he got some oohs and ahs from the fans.

When Keppinger was asked what he had purchased, Arroyo mentioned that he was "too much of a (person with Hebrew ancestors) to buy anything."

That is not an exact quote, but it is pretty close.

OnBaseMachine
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks Blimpie.

REDREAD
12-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I listened to the last 15 minutes and while Thom was very nice and answering questions, Marty appeared to be in a rush to get out of there. He was rude. OF course when is he not rude. Thom seems to have more insight and even when the caller is totally off this planet, he is nice, while Marty makes such a big deal about stuff.

Marty just does this hot stove show to collect a paycheck (much like calling Reds' games). You can tell he hates being on the show. In all seriousness, I guess Marty is pretty well off financially, so I don't understand why he does the Hot Stove League show since he obviously detests it. I guess Marty figures the show can't go on without him or something.

Thom could do the show by himself, easily. Maybe have the Creeper or Brantley fill in for a few shows too.

icehole3
12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Ron Madden;1780551

IMHO, one is here and one isnt, just saying.

RANDY IN INDY
12-17-2008, 05:44 PM

I agree. I wish Adam Dunn the best, but I hope all the lightning rod discussion that is generated on this board follows him to his new team. The chances of the Reds re-signing him is slim to none and he is gone. In my opinion, it's time to move on.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Last time I checked, you can't trade AM Radio announcers...

KronoRed
12-17-2008, 06:08 PM

Unfortunately.

icehole3
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM

you cant, but Dunn's gone and he isnt coming back, Marty is here until he retires and he's a Hall of Famer, if you dont like him dont listen, its that easy.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
you cant, but Dunn's gone and he isnt coming back, Marty is here until he retires and he's a Hall of Famer, if you dont like him dont listen, its that easy.

I can't tell you the last time I listened to the Reds on WLW.

Anytime I'm looking for internet feeds, I go for our opponent's radio station(s).

CTA513
12-17-2008, 06:51 PM

It's also easy for Marty to stop talking about Dunn and Bowden if he doesn't like them.

icehole3
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I guess Marty shouldnt answered the caller's question then, just let dead air space go on, please everyone needs to lighten up, he's not talking bad about Dunn, everytime Marty says something everyone's widdle feelings get hurt, Geez.

Chip R
12-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-16-08. Thom and Marty were the hosts. They said that over 17,000 people attended last weekend. Thom said that it was good that they had a lot of kid friendly stuff there. He also said that some of the retired players felt like they were once again part of the Reds family. Marty said that the Braves signed Furcal (Right again, Marty.) Thom said that it looks like the Braves are trying to get back to where they used to be. Marty said that if the Nationals do not sign Texeira, and Marty said he doesn't think anyone believes they will, they will go after Adam Dunn and Orlando Hudson. Thom thinks Hudson would be a solid pick up for them and it would improve the worst defense in baseball. Thom doesn't see Dunn going to the Nats. He thinks the franchise may be in a bit of trouble (Shocking that a baseball team in D.C. would have problems.) Marty agreed and is stunned JimBo still has a job. Thom said they have drafted some good young players recently but they ave been awful the last few years. He finds it difficult to believe that they could be in the running for a Teixeira or Manny. Marty said that those kind of players won't go to a cellar dweller especially since Teixeira has an 8 year deal on the table from the Angels.

The first caller talked about how much he enjoyed RedsFest.

The next caller asked why people talk so bad about Pat Burrell. Marty said a lot of it has to do with money and there isn't a whole lot of difference between him and Dunn. Marty said he thinks Pat would drive in way more runs than Dunn. Thom said Pat would be a great addition if the money was right but there are people that don't like that kind of a player and he understands why people may think he's too expensive.

After commercial, the next caller asked if Roger Clemens would pitch for the Reds since he was originally from Dayton. (Someone's cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs - or just cuckoo.) Marty said that his career is over with. Thom said there's no chance Clemens would come to the Reds and the Reds won't want him. Thom said that even without the baggage he was playing half a season and not going on road trips while getting paid $15M a year.

The next caller asked about a football player named Means who plays WR for Indiana University and he also played summer ball for the Reds. Thom said he's a great athlete and very fast. He had a good first season but he got hurt at the end.

The next caller asked about some comments that Arroyo made during the kids press conference on Saturday. Marty said he couldn't understand what anyone was saying up there. Thom praised Bruce, Hopper, Rosales and Bray on how they handled their end of the press conference. Marty liked the kids press conference and the story time.

The next caller said that people don't realize that guys like Burrell and Dunn don't get paid what they do - or did - to it .300. They are paid to hit HRs. Marty said they get paid to drive in runs too and the HRs are incidental. It's the run production they get paid for. He said Dunn hits 40 HRs and barely drives in 100 runs. The caller said that if you are looking at run production, look at his OBP. Marty said that he doesn't care about his OBP and he gets so blasted tired hearing about people talk about his OBP. He ranted on about how Dunn isn't paid to walk, he's paid to drive in runs and hit home runs and they can take off the walks. Marty said for people not to call and talk to him about Dunn's OBP cause it pushes his hot button. He said he's paid to hit HRs and drive in runs and he doesn't drive in runs. Thom told him he's too old to get so worked up about that. Marty apologized for getting worked up about it. (Well, that was fun.) :lol:

After commercial, the next caller said that since the Reds went to the playoffs in 95, all 4 of the most recent expansion teams have gone to the World Series with FLA winning it twice. He said all 4 have similar if not smaller markets than the Reds. He asked if they saw any parallels between what Castellini is doing and what those teams did. Thom said that those teams were all built differently. TB lost 95 or more games a year till this year. AZ spent a fortune after their first season and mortgaged their future bringing in guys like Schilling and Johnson and Finley and then they had to build it back up to get back to the playoffs. COLO made the playoffs in 95 and didn't make it back til 2007 and were terrible for 12 years. He said FLA may have done it best and they bought their first one and traded their way to a second one. Thom said the key was that they didn't make any bad trades and weren't afraid to give up popular players.

The next caller asked what they thought about EE going to LF. Marty said he doesn't have a problem with it if they can get a 3B. He's heard that Ty Wiggington is on the open market and he can play 3B or LF and Marty wouldn't have a problem with Ty at 3rd and EE in LF or vice versa. Thom said that what bothers him is that if you are going to move EE to LF and that's in your plans, he should have gone to either the instructional league or winter ball and played LF. Marty said based on that he doesn't think EE is going anywhere but Ty can play LF. He also said that Ty is a good clubhouse guy and will keep people on their toes. Thom said he's a good hitter and he'll drive in a run for you and maybe hit 20-25 HRs and drive in 80 runs. (So hitting 25 HRs and knocking in 80 runs is good but hitting 40 HRs and knocking in 100 is bad? :confused: ) Marty thinks Walt has a plan and part if it is to be patient. It's a different FA market cause of the economy and the longer a player is sitting at home without a job, the clubs who are patient will be able to cash in on a player they may not ordinarily get.

After commercial, the next caller said the more you look at the FA market, the more you think that someone like Ty is going to be the glamor signing for someone like the Reds and he doesn't see the need to go out and spend 3/$30M for a Burrell. Thom agreed and said he'd rather not spend anything than spend poorly.

The next caller asked if they had any ideas how to fill that RH power bat need. Marty said that fans shouldn't be panicky because Walt isn't doing anything. He said that it's a different market and he's waiting to see what is available.

The next caller asked what they thought about Keppinger going to CF. Marty said he needed to take a big, deep breath and step back (Hee!) because Keppinger has a tough enough time displaying the kind of range you want out of a SS and you can't put him in CF. The caller said that Biggio and Yount went to CF. Thom said those guys had wheels and Kepp doesn't. Thom also said Yount was such a great athlete he could play any sport.

After commercial, the next caller said that hiring Walt was a great move and wanted to know if he might bring in David Eckstein. Thom said that the Reds have several players there, Gonzo if he's healthy and Keppinger if he's not so there might not be room for him. The caller said that he'd be a perfect leadoff hitter for them (CF hits leadoff, dude. SS hits 2nd and respect hits 3rd. Why don't people know that by now?) The caller asked about the Laynce Nix signing. Thom said everyone thought he was going to be a great star but he's been injured or hasn't been able to put it together when he has been healthy enough to play.

The next caller asked if Adam Rosales would be a good 5th OFer for the Reds next year. Marty said he's an IFer and the 5th IFer is probably going to be a guy who can either really swing the bat or play great defense and he's very good defensively but won't hit a lot. Thom said that he finds it hard to believe there could be a better guy for that 5th IFer role than Hariston. Marty agreed.

The next caller asked if Marty could delay the radio broadcast to synch it up with the TV broadcast because he thinks Grande does a horrible job (Must not be a Cardinals fan). Marty said he wishes they could do that and he doesn't understand why even after it's been explained to him. (They must have said something about OBP) The caller said that Marty could just delay his call a few seconds ( :lol:
Where do they get these people from?) Marty said he can't do that cause he's not smart enough to wait 5 seconds and play catch up. :lol: The caller called Marty the Michael Jordan of announcers. (I'd agree with that.*Marty calls a game about as well as MJ runs the Bobcats.) The caller feels it's a miscarriage of justice. (You go, guy! There's nothing more important in the world right now than synching up the radio and TV signals for Reds games.)

The next caller claimed to be a Cubs fan and asked if the Reds had any interest in Jason Marquis. Thom said no one wants him especially at his salary. He doesn't even make the playoff roster for the Scrubs. (Yeah. Like we want the Cubs' dreck. Although with Arroyo, Marquis and Owings, we'd have a pitching staff that could mash.)

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-16-08. So et it be written. So let it be done.

Spring~Fields
12-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Super, thanks Chip for taking the time to catch us loafers up.

Raisor
12-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Chip must really love us.

MartyFan
12-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Another person asked Marty if they could synch the radio and TV signals so there's no delay. Marty doesn't like the delay and wishes they could synch up. The caller seriously suggested Marty delay his calls for a few seconds. Marty said he couldn't do that.

I am laughing my slightly overweight yet still firm behind off about this...AWESOME!:laugh:

Blitz Dorsey
12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
I believe the question from the audience pertainined to the types of nice things that each of the players had purchased for themselves since becoming big leaguers.

At that point, Phillips was asked to showcase his Flavor Flav wristwatch for the crowd. Apparently, it was off the charts on the Bling-o-Meter and he got some oohs and ahs from the fans.

When Keppinger was asked what he had purchased, Arroyo mentioned that he was "too much of a (person with Hebrew ancestors) to buy anything."

That is not an exact quote, but it is pretty close.

Uh, I hope Arroyo didn't say what I think he did. That could be really offensive to some people.

jesusfan
12-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Uh, I hope Arroyo didn't say what I think he did. That could be really offensive to some people.

Judging from Bronson's comments in just about every interview I don't think he cares too much about offending people... He's a very outspoken guy.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Here's what I don't get about the Marty situation. Why don't people take a different tact with him. If you start off the conversation with praising Dunn you have already lost your audience. If I were gonna call Marty on the issue I'd start with something he can get behind and make my argument based on that.

For example call him and question "why people make Dunn out to be so great, afterall he does strikeout alot right Marty" (Marty then agrees) then turn that into something like this. "Good grief, anyway I wanted to call about something that I think a lot of people overlook, the most important thing a player can do is avoid strikeouts (Marty is all ears), well maybe not strikeouts perse but avoid outs anyway". "I mean if one guy comes up and avoids making an out and then the next guy and so on, you having the makings of a run scoring inning right"? (Marty and Thom both agree) "The best players in the history of the game were good because they managed to avoid outs more than the average Joe, right (again they probably agree)". "So do you guys know how often a good player avoids outs, is there a stat for that Marty"? Marty probably says either he doesn't know or he says yeah OBP%, then you say "I bet Adam Dunn had a bad OBP% didn't he"?

I don't know about anybody else but that would be hilarious to listen too and really quite funny to imagine Marty's wheels start to turn a bit. Maybe he catches on but I wonder if he would or not. It certainly would have to have some impact on him, maybe not the complete desired effect but some.

Also I thought wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if RZ hogged the phone lines on one of these hot stove reports (ideally after the previous discussion took place) and just kind of worked on the guy a bit. I know some might take this as disrespecting him but let's be fair he isn't doing his job if he clings to a falsehood. And he has some fair points but he is still overlooking so much.

Oh yeah and BTW I think he is also overlooking Adam Rosales, he can hit and if he was given a chance to play a little he'd find out he's better than most if not all of our UT options.

Raisor
12-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Also I thought wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if RZ hogged the phone lines on one of these hot stove reports (ideally after the previous discussion took place) and just kind of worked on the guy a bit. I know some might take this as disrespecting him but let's be fair he isn't doing his job if he clings to a falsehood. And he has some fair points but he is still overlooking so much.

I give you RZ's greatest moment.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37622&highlight=tracy

Ltlabner
12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Here's what I don't get about the Marty situation. Why don't people take a different tact with him.

As much as I love Marty, and have defended him here many times, this would never work. He's just plain part of the old-school mentality that walks are bad, walks are icky and walks are somehow dishonorable.

No amount of reason is going to work because he's so immersed into the idea that walks are somehow a shameful event that you didn't "earn" but were given as a "consolation prize" for failing at your job of hitting a ball.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2008, 08:29 AM
I give you RZ's greatest moment.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37622&highlight=tracy

Ah, good stuff. So that's who the minor league phenom JC is!

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
As much as I love Marty, and have defended him here many times, this would never work. He's just plain part of the old-school mentality that walks are bad, walks are icky and walks are somehow dishonorable.

No amount of reason is going to work because he's so immersed into the idea that walks are somehow a shameful event that you didn't "earn" but were given as a "consolation prize" for failing at your job of hitting a ball.

That well could be, but it still be worth the entertainment value. Maybe I'll get up the nerve some night, when does the hot stove reports end? Sometime in January?

Chip R
12-18-2008, 10:05 AM
That well could be, but it still be worth the entertainment value. Maybe I'll get up the nerve some night, when does the hot stove reports end? Sometime in January?

Actually, they go up until the week before the season starts.

Ron Madden
12-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Every member of RedsZone is welcome to call in but there is very little chance of any opinion other than Martys to get any airtime.

If you aint kissin' Martys arse, you aint gettin'on the air.

Mario-Rijo
12-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Every member of RedsZone is welcome to call in but there is very little chance of any opinion other than Martys to get any airtime.

If you aint kissin' Martys arse, you aint gettin'on the air.

Well if all of RZ made the call I doubt the show would have too many other opinions from the outside world. Marty's only other option would be to get up and leave the show for the night, letting Thom sit there all by his lonesome. How many times can Marty hang up on people in a show w/o it having such a negative effect on the show? What I mean is at some point he would have to either blow up and walk out or hear someone out.

westofyou
12-23-2008, 03:34 PM
http://blog.redlegstats.com/2008/12/21/marty-brennaman-on-adam-dunn.aspx

Caller: People here don't realize that Pat Burrell and Adam Dunn don't get paid $12 million to hit .300. They get paid to hit home runs; that's it.
Marty: No, they get paid to drive in runs, is what they get paid to do.
Caller: And hit home runs.
Marty: No, unh-uh. Home runs are incidental. It's run production that they are going to get paid for. Adam Dunn hits 40 home runs and barely reaches a hundred RBI's.
Caller: But, if you're going to talk about potential run production, look at his on-base.
Marty: (angrily) I don't care about -- I don't care about his on-base! I get so blasted tired hearing some people talk to me about Adam Dunn's on-base percentage. Adam Dunn ain't paid to walk. Adam Dunn's paid to hit home runs and drive in runs for God's sake, and they can take off, uh, they can take off the walks, and you're out of here! (hangs up)
. . .
Marty: We are heading toward a break. Don't call and talk to me about Adam Dunn's on-base percentage--
Thom: You sure?
Marty: --because it pushes my hot button.
Thom: I would have never known.
Marty: I'm tired of hearing about how many times he walks. He was paid to hit home runs, paid to drive in runs. He homers; he doesn't drive in runs.
Thom: You know, you're too old to get worked up like this.

KronoRed
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
That's hilarious :D

mth123
12-23-2008, 10:14 PM
That's hilarious :D

I was thinking more like pathetic. I feel the same way about Marty as he apparantly does about Dunn.

And I can explain it much in the same way that Marty did here.

Don't get on the air and give me your opinions about players. I'm tired of hearing about Marty's opinions of Reds' players. He's not paid to get into personal stuff or give his opinions about the players. He's paid to call the game. He gives his opinions and gets into his personal stuff, he doesn't always call the game.

gm
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
If you want to hear Marty in all of his "get off my lawn!" splendor re: Adam Dunn's OBP, the podcast is available at

http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=paul_daugherty.xml

(scroll down to 12-16-08)

For Chip's sake, I hope they keep putting these HSL podcasts online...well what do you know? Tonight's podcast is already up there...ask and you will receive

KronoRed
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
I was thinking more like pathetic. I feel the same way about Marty as he apparantly does about Dunn.

Very true, I think it's funny because the rant fits perfectly with the Reds of the past decade.
gO reDZ!

WMR
12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Marty is pathetic.

Major props to Chip for listening to this garbage week after week.

Highlifeman21
12-23-2008, 11:52 PM
If you want to hear Marty in all of his "get off my lawn!" splendor re: Adam Dunn's OBP, the podcast is available at

http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=paul_daugherty.xml

(scroll down to 12-16-08)

For Chip's sake, I hope they keep putting these HSL podcasts online...well what do you know? Tonight's podcast is already up there...ask and you will receive

From the 16:50 mark until the 18:55 mark is just awesome. It's the time span that covers the transcript westofyou provided.

It's one thing to read a transcript, it's another thing to listen to Marty hang up on a caller b/c the caller is making way too much sense for Marty to handle....

Degenerate39
12-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Marty: No, unh-uh. Home runs are incidental.

Marty: Adam Dunn ain't paid to walk. Adam Dunn's paid to hit home runs

So which is it Marty? Is he paid to hit home runs or not?

Highlifeman21
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Marty: No, unh-uh. Home runs are incidental.

Marty: Adam Dunn ain't paid to walk. Adam Dunn's paid to hit home runs

So which is it Marty? Is he paid to hit home runs or not?

I was wondering the same thing.

First he says Dunn's HRs are incidental, then he says Dunn's paid to hit them.