PDA

View Full Version : Rocco Baldelli Misdiagnosed? Go get him Walt!!!

redsfan4445
12-17-2008, 02:17 AM
per mlb traderumours"

"Rocco Baldelli Misdiagnosed?
By Tim Dierkes [December 16 at 11:36pm CST]

From Ken Bell of ABC6 out of Rhode Island:

Great news for Rocco Baldelli. A visit to the Cleveland clinic last week revealed that doctors had misdiagnosed his illness. Baldelli missed much of last season, and when he did play, he was limited because of extreme fatigue. Doctors thought it was mitochondrial disorder, which can be fatal. The Baldelli family told me tonight that the Cleveland clinic diagnosed his condition as channelopathy, a non-progressive, highly treatable disease.

Bell adds that the Red Sox have not contacted Baldelli, who is a free agent."

Wow this is great news, Walt should be on the phone now to get him...

oneupper
12-17-2008, 02:32 AM
per mlb traderumours"

Great news for Rocco Baldelli. A visit to the Cleveland clinic last week revealed that doctors had misdiagnosed his illness. Baldelli missed much of last season, and when he did play, he was limited because of extreme fatigue. Doctors thought it was mitochondrial disorder, which can be fatal. The Baldelli family told me tonight that the Cleveland clinic diagnosed his condition as channelopathy, a non-progressive, highly treatable disease.

According to wikipedia, Channelopathy is not "a" disease, but rather a family of them. The ones that were detailed there weren't very nice.

OnBaseMachine
12-17-2008, 02:41 AM
I'd like to see Baldelli brought in on a one or two year deal to platoon.

Topcat
12-17-2008, 02:55 AM
I'd like to see Baldelli brought in on a one or two year deal to platoon.

Agreed, he could be a great boost to the Red's

Chip R
12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Is he going to need a bubble around his locker?

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Is he going to need a bubble around his locker?

Not if he embraces Scientology (worked for Travolta) :D

Spitball
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I may be wrong, but I doubt Baldelli flies under the radar far enough to sign him cheaply or short term. I believe someone will gamble by overpaying and/or extending him too many years to consider him a bargain table signing.

I would hate to see the Reds gamble too much on him.

princeton
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
per mlb traderumours"

I dunno. There are certainly some very bad channelopathies. the big one is cystic fibrosis, but type II diabetes can be another channelopathy. Neither is exactly non-progressive or highly treatable. Hopefully the reporter's got things right, though.

I wish a long and healthy career and life to Baldelli, who's a personal favorite.

Chip R
12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I dunno. There are certainly some very bad channelopathies. the big one is cystic fibrosis, but type II diabetes can be another channelopathy. Neither is exactly non-progressive or highly treatable. Hopefully the reporter's got things right, though.

Well, it isn't Hal McCoy so it's probably accurate.

HokieRed
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
"Treatable" means something very different to doctors than it does to hopeful baseball fans. What this means for Baldelli's ability to play every day, or even a reasonable amount, is perhaps no clearer now than it was before the change of diagnosis. We can hope for the best for him and he'll have to see how his body responds to the change of treatment.

jojo
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
His contract demands just got more ambitious....

Mario-Rijo
12-17-2008, 12:57 PM
His contract demands just got more ambitious....

What timing they have there at the Cleveland Clinic, wow. ;)

jojo
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
If he truly is "healthy", he's about as good of a solution as the Reds are going to find for centerfield without doing something epic. Dickerson could take some PA's away from him against righties and possible platoon with someone in left field as well.

camisadelgolf
12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm not making any accusations, but I think the timing of this is pretty interesting.

Mario-Rijo
12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
If he truly is "healthy", he's about as good of a solution as the Reds are going to find for centerfield without doing something epic. Dickerson could take some PA's away from him against righties and possible platoon with someone in left field as well.

Agreed

jojo
12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Lets assume he's healthy (at least enough to get 500 PA's in center).

Marcels projects a wOBA of .336 for him next season. Defensive metrics suggest he's something like a neutral to maybe a +5 run defender in center.

So his bat would be roughly 3 runs > than major league average (roughly a wOBA of .330 last season). He gets +2.5 for playing center. He gets either 0 or +5 for his defense and then tack on 20 for the difference between replacement and average (though this is a bit of an overestimate).

He could be worth something like 26 to 31 runs or 2.6 to 3.1 wins in '09. On the market (still assuming $5M/win), that production would be worth $13M-15.5M.

He almost certainly will sign for much less than that (my guess maybe even less than half) and probably for no more than 3 years (these are guesses of course).

This all hinges on him being healthy and being able to meet his projection over 500 PA's. It also completely ignored possible boosts associated with changing leagues and getting to play in GABP in order to be biased against him when estimating his worth (given the big caveat about his health).

LoganBuck
12-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Lets assume he's healthy (at least enough to get 500 PA's in center).

Marcels projects a wOBA of .336 for him next season. Defensive metrics suggest he's something like a neutral to maybe a +5 run defender in center.

So his bat would be roughly 3 runs > than major league average (roughly a wOBA of .330 last season). He gets +2.5 for playing center. He gets either 0 or +5 for his defense and then tack on 20 for the difference between replacement and average (though this is a bit of an overestimate).

He could be worth something like 26 to 31 runs or 2.6 to 3.1 wins in '09. On the market (still assuming $5M/win), that production would be worth $13M-15.5M.

He almost certainly will sign for much less than that (my guess maybe even less than half) and probably for no more than 3 years (these are guesses of course).

This all hinges on him being healthy and being able to meet his projection over 500 PA's. It also completely ignored possible boosts associated with changing leagues and getting to play in GABP in order to be biased against him when estimating his worth (given the big caveat about his health).

Rocco Baldelli scares the crap out of me. It isn't like this diagnosis is the only thing that is a blemish on his medical charts. He will be expensive enough for a team like the Reds that they must depend on him to be healthy. If you could guarantee 140 games I would be ok with it. I just don't see any way that happens.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm not making any accusations, but I think the timing of this is pretty interesting.

And I find it hard to believe it took doctors THIS long to figure out what was going on.

I still say you stay far away from Baldelli. Let someone else pay to find out what's behind Door #2.

11larkin11
12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I am a Cleveland Browns fan. You say he went to the Cleveland Clinic?

Check him for Staph. Now.

Caseyfan21
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
And I find it hard to believe it took doctors THIS long to figure out what was going on.

I still say you stay far away from Baldelli. Let someone else pay to find out what's behind Door #2.

This is what smells fishy to me as well. If this illness truly affected him as much as it did last summer that he could barely play at all...then why the heck did he not seek other doctors' advice then? If I went to a doctor (and was a multimillionaire) and they told me I had to quit my job for the rest of my life due to a special condition, I'm sure as heck I'd keep getting opinions until I found a doctor that offered some sort of solution. It just doesn't make sense why he waited until he was a free agent about to cash in for this rumor to pop up. And to make it even more interesting, this is just a rumor on a website, it's not like I even read this anywhere official yet.

I say stay far away until he proves this "new" diagnosis true.

princeton
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM

not me.

House, of course, would have had it figured out in 45 minutes, but only after he had already previously opened up Rocco's chest cavity, cranium, and resected his bowel. But Rocco didn't go to House, did he? (wonder why...)

to date, patients with channel protein maladies other than CF have been more scientific curiosities than medical ones.

dougdirt
12-17-2008, 01:49 PM

To play devils advocate, he may have just taken Doctor #1's word on it until his recent trip to Cleveland.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
to date, patients with channel protein maladies other than CF have been more scientific curiosities than medical ones.

That still doesn't explain why the "Mitochondiral Defect" story stuck around -- I imagine a genetic test would be able to determine whether that was, in fact, the truth.

VR
12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
According to wikipedia, Channelopathy is not "a" disease, but rather a family of them. The ones that were detailed there weren't very nice.

My wife is quite certain I am stricken w/ this when in possession of the remote control.

BRM
12-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Rotoworld has an updated blurb:

Clarifying a TV report, free agent Rocco Baldelli said he was not actually misdiagnosed initially, but that his new diagnosis from the Cleveland Clinic is "an encouraging development."

Baldelli said the original diagnosis of a mitochondrial disorder was "the best diagnosis at the time." Now the thinking is that he has channelopathy, and he said he's reacting well to changes in his medication. "Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career," he said. "With this less-severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis."

hippie07
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
would you rather take a chance on Baldelli being healthy or put up w/ a healthy yet poor player in Taveras??

I'm putting my money on us getting one of them (probably Taveras). I would choose Baldelli, because even if he needs occasional rest- I'm fine w/ seeing Dickerson or Kapler/Hairston occasionally spelling CF (say every 4th game or so)... I think that's a much better plan than having Taveras as our everyday guy...

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
not me.

House, of course, would have had it figured out in 45 minutes, but only after he had already previously opened up Rocco's chest cavity, cranium, and resected his bowel. But Rocco didn't go to House, did he? (wonder why...)

Yes, but over the course of those 45 minutes, House would have removed an eye, 4 feet of his large intestine, several lymph nodes and re-started his heart three times before figuring it out. Not much better for his baseball career than the original diagnosis.

pahster
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, but over course of those 45 minutes, House would have removed an eye, 4 feet of his large intestine, several lymph nodes and re-started his heart three times before figuring it out. Not much better for his baseball career than the original diagnosis.

He also would have had someone break into Baldelli's home and probably insulted him several times.

dougdirt
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
would you rather take a chance on Baldelli being healthy or put up w/ a healthy yet poor player in Taveras??

I'm putting my money on us getting one of them (probably Taveras). I would choose Baldelli, because even if he needs occasional rest- I'm fine w/ seeing Dickerson or Kapler/Hairston occasionally spelling CF (say every 4th game or so)... I think that's a much better plan than having Taveras as our everyday guy...

I am much more comfortable in Baldelli than Taveras. Baldelli being unable to play every day is more valuable than Taveras sucking every day. At least when Baldelli sees the field he is likely to produce something of value. Let him platoon at first and if his condition is actually getting better then go from there.

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Rocco and it's not even close.

Az Red
12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes, but over the course of those 45 minutes, House would have removed an eye, 4 feet of his large intestine, several lymph nodes and re-started his heart three times before figuring it out. Not much better for his baseball career than the original diagnosis.

...and tested any developmental treatment/drug/procedure on himself/unsuspected staff member/non-parental concent adolecent...

backbencher
12-17-2008, 03:13 PM

Wonder why? Perhaps because Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital looks too much like an old physics lab for his taste.

princeton
12-17-2008, 03:13 PM
That still doesn't explain why the "Mitochondiral Defect" story stuck around -- I imagine a genetic test would be able to determine whether that was, in fact, the truth.

Mitochondria are full of channels. if an important mitochondrial channel goes bad, you get a channelopathy that causes a mitochondrial disorder. so both diagnoses could be correct.

a mitochondrial disorder is an effect. one still must look for the cause. there's a lot of possible causes besides channel protein problems. looking for the cause can take months or years (for me, at least; I'm no House).

your faith in genetic tests is a bit too high right now. there's a lotta stuff that can't be tested for.

Blimpie
12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I am a Cleveland Browns fan. You say he went to the Cleveland Clinic?

Check him for Staph. Now.Unfortunately, staph infections are a problem at many hospitals.

The Cleveland Clinic is one of the premier hospitals in the entire world and even they are not immune.

jojo
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
not me.

Then there are the commercial breaks Baldelli would've had to sit through too....

M2
12-17-2008, 04:49 PM

I agree. Also, after reading princeton's explanation of mitochondria and channels, I'm thinking this might not be a change of diagnosis so much as a clarification.

Plus, wasn't Baldelli supposedly already responding well to new treatment? Yet now we're to believe he was responding well to treatment for a misdiagnosis? No matter how you spin it, he's still got fighting something fairly nasty on top of an established propensity to get injured in the first place.

If the Reds were to sign him, I'd want an incentive-laden deal and I'd want to see a deep set of OF options behind him.

Blitz Dorsey
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I play fantasy baseball on CBS Sportsline. They affectionately refer to Baldelli as "Rocco Bal-DL-i."

I'm just sayin'.

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Mitochondria are full of channels. if an important mitochondrial channel goes bad, you get a channelopathy that causes a mitochondrial disorder. so both diagnoses could be correct.

a mitochondrial disorder is an effect. one still must look for the cause. there's a lot of possible causes besides channel protein problems. looking for the cause can take months or years (for me, at least; I'm no House).

your faith in genetic tests is a bit too high right now. there's a lotta stuff that can't be tested for.

So you're saying the docs changed channels on their diagnosis?

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I would have the diagnosis confirmed and if it's apparent that the condition is treatable/manageable and I thought he would see limited down time I would pursue him pretty hard. You would have Dickerson to give him days off, Stubbs could fillin for short DL stints and I would re-sign Hairston as a jack of all trades to have as another option.

I'd still look for another bat for left field to go with Baldelli in CF and Bruce in RF with Dickerson as my 4ht OF.

Benihana
12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I would have the diagnosis confirmed and if it's apparent that the condition is treatable/manageable and I thought he would see limited down time I would pursue him pretty hard. You would have Dickerson to give him days off, Stubbs could fillin for short DL stints and I would re-sign Hairston as a jack of all trades to have as another option.

I'd still look for another bat for right field to go with Baldelli in CF and Bruce in LF with Dickerson as my 4ht OF.

I agree, except why would Bruce be in LF? Unless you get a guy like Rios, Bruce remains in RF with the newcomer (rental slugger) playing LF. By all indications, Bruce will be a plus-RF, which is a more challenging position than LF.

Anyways, I like Baldelli if the new diagnosis is accurate. I'd give him something like 2 years, $10-12MM. Obviously, I would try to weigh any deal with incentives based off of playing time as much as I could.

corkedbat
12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I agree, except why would Bruce be in LF? Unless you get a guy like Rios, Bruce remains in RF with the newcomer (rental slugger) playing LF. By all indications, Bruce will be a plus-RF, which is a more challenging position than LF.

Anyways, I like Baldelli if the new diagnosis is accurate. I'd give him something like 2 years, $10-12MM. Obviously, I would try to weigh any deal with incentives based off of playing time as much as I could.

Oops! don't know how I got those reversed! I meant to put Bruce in RF with the hired bat in LF, Baldelli in CF with Dickerson as a 4th OF

remdog
12-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't see anything in this new 'diagnosis' that's a big improvement over last year for Rocco.

Unless he can pass every medical test in the book I'm probably not interested. Unless, of course it's a very cheap contract made up of mostly incentives. In some ways I see this as no different that taking a flyer on Josh Hamilton. I know, that turned out well. But it was a crapshoot and the odds are not good on rolling another winner here.

Last year the Reds spent about $5M on a SS that never payed a game but is currently listed as #1 on the depth chart. Spending a lot of money on Baldelli to be your everyday CF, with his medical history, is a huge risk.

If you get to Opening Day and find out you've already lost both your SS and CF (possibly for the season) it kinda' sucks.

Rem