PDA

View Full Version : More Hoosier News

WVRed
12-18-2008, 06:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3777010

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Indiana standout Eric Gordon believes drug use caused a rift on last season's Hoosiers, according to a story posted on The Indianapolis Star's Web site Wednesday night.

Gordon declined to identify which players allegedly used drugs, but said D.J. White and two others still on the team were among those who did not.

"It was the guys that were doing drugs that were separate," Gordon told the newspaper.

Gordon, who left after his freshman season and now starts for the Los Angeles Clippers, said some players' drug use led to friction on the team. Gordon said he spent time with a family friend in Bloomington because of the atmosphere surrounding some players.

Then-coach Kelvin Sampson tried to stop the drug use, Gordon said, but Sampson "was just so focused on basketball and winning and everything."

"Sometimes it felt like it wasn't even a real basketball team because of all the turmoil that went on," Gordon said.

Former Indiana guard Adam Ahlfeld said players were aware of the drug problem.

"I wasn't really with those abusing drugs, so I can't say what was really going on," Ahlfeld told the newspaper. "I wasn't involved in any of those things."

Indiana athletic department spokesman J.D. Campbell declined to comment on the story Wednesday night.

"It would be inappropriate for us to have any comment on that," he said.

Current coach Tom Crean also declined to discuss the drug issue, citing privacy laws.

"We're doing our best to move ahead from a very difficult time for Indiana basketball and focus on doing that in the best light we can," Crean told The Indianapolis Star.

Indiana started 17-1 last season, but things began spiraling out of control as allegations surfaced about a recruiting scandal involving Sampson. The Hoosiers lost their first game of the Big Ten tournament and were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

The school bought out Sampson's contract in February. Last month, the NCAA put Indiana on three years' probation for recruiting violations.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

BRM
12-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I was just going to post this article.

Sampson is going down as the worst, most despised coach in IU history.

Hoosier Red
12-18-2008, 09:21 AM
My money's on Stemler.

BRM
12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
My money's on Stemler.

He's one of several players I'd put money on.

WMR
12-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Are we talking happy smoke or colombian nose candy?

dabvu2498
12-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Watching them play I would say some of them were smoking crack.

WMR
12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Watching them play I would say some of them were smoking crack.

:lol:

BRM
12-18-2008, 10:08 AM

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Here's what Inside The Hall has to say about it.

Iím sitting on my couch now ó I tend to do that a lot in the evening ó and Iím watching Eric Gordon for the first time this season, as his Clippers are taking on my Bulls. I had almost forgotten how he played, but his first drive to the bucket snapped my memory back to its right place: heís so strong, so smooth, he just looks like he belongs on a basketball court. This is what he was born to do. I love his game.

So, it was sort of random happenstance that Jeff Rabjohns of the Indianapolis Star dropped this exclusive interview with Eric Gordon this evening (http://www.indystar.com/article/20081217/SPORTS0601/81217054). And, in agreement with that Sports Illustrated article from October (http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/10/29/must-read-l-jon-wertheims-si-piece-on-iu/), it looks like a lot of kids were doing drugs on the team. So much so, that it was a detriment to the season.

At this point, thereís really no need to dig much deeper here: it is what it is. We knew some of these kids were troubled, and we were pretty certain DJ and Eric rose above it. (Oh, and Kyle Taber and Brett Finkelmeier too.)

Hereís my only comment: How much drugs were all the other guys really doing? I mean, the way Gordon makes it sound, itís like when these kids werenít on the court, they were high all the time. To the point where you wouldnít even think to see them or hang out with them, because they were smoking, or snorting, or injecting or doing whatever.

Yeesh. Was it really that bad?

SunDeck
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
You been hanging out with my dad?

"Are you kids doing pot down there?!"

By the way, the drug of choice in Btown seems to be heroin. At least that's what most of the busts seem to have been lately.

redsfanmia
12-19-2008, 05:37 PM
What does Gordon gain by going public with this information? I think he loses trust in his locker room, if I were playing with Gordon I would question what I say to him in fear that he would run to the press. I am an Indiana fan who really did not like Eric, his game was selfish IMO but I am not a fan of one and done guys. EJ should have done himself a favor and went to Illinois and stayed away from the Denim shirt criminal.

WVRed
12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
What does Gordon gain by going public with this information? I think he loses trust in his locker room, if I were playing with Gordon I would question what I say to him in fear that he would run to the press. I am an Indiana fan who really did not like Eric, his game was selfish IMO but I am not a fan of one and done guys. EJ should have done himself a favor and went to Illinois and stayed away from the Denim shirt criminal.

Kinda hard to fault him being one and done given the situation.

The other thing to keep in mind is, Eric Gordon is 19 years old. I would guarantee that if there is any veteran leadership on the Clippers team, he may be getting a talking-to.

redsfanmia
12-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Kinda hard to fault him being one and done given the situation.

The other thing to keep in mind is, Eric Gordon is 19 years old. I would guarantee that if there is any veteran leadership on the Clippers team, he may be getting a talking-to.

I dont think there is any veteran leadership on the Clippers, they are the Clippers you know. Who would mentor him Baron Davis?

WVRed
12-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I dont think there is any veteran leadership on the Clippers, they are the Clippers you know. Who would mentor him Baron Davis?

Marcus Camby, Brian Skinner, and Ricky Davis all have more than 10 years experience on the team. I would say that constitutes as "veteran", wouldn't you?

My point is this, he is still a teenager and he is still going to make mistakes. I believe we tend to put athletes and other celebrities on a pedestal without fully realizing that they are just as human as we are.

On the other hand, he could be taking a page from his parents in seeking attention. When the people you look up to are wearing a t-shirt saying "Got Gordon? We do" to the Illinois-Indiana game in Champaign after he renegged on the Illini, it might not be the best influence.

WMR
12-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Marcus Camby, Brian Skinner, and Ricky Davis all have more than 10 years experience on the team. I would say that constitutes as "veteran", wouldn't you?

My point is this, he is still a teenager and he is still going to make mistakes. I believe we tend to put athletes and other celebrities on a pedestal without fully realizing that they are just as human as we are.

On the other hand, he could be taking a page from his parents in seeking attention. When the people you look up to are wearing a t-shirt saying "Got Gordon? We do" to the Illinois-Indiana game in Champaign after he renegged on the Illini, it might not be the best influence.

:lol:

Amazing a kid with parents like that would make poor decisions. Add in the fact that he has been a basketball god his entire life and you've got the perfect recipe for a humongous attention *****. :D

redsfanmia
12-20-2008, 01:16 PM

Marcus Camby I will give you, but Ricky Davis are you serious? What is Ricky Davis going to teach him? How to intentionally miss a shot and get your own rebound to get a triple double? EJ is a good kid and I have nothing against him and I am sure he will be fine but my point is he had nothing to gain but distrust by saying what he said about the situation at IU. He should have said there were problems but what is in the past is in the past.

WVRed
12-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Marcus Camby I will give you, but Ricky Davis are you serious? What is Ricky Davis going to teach him? How to intentionally miss a shot and get your own rebound to get a triple double? EJ is a good kid and I have nothing against him and I am sure he will be fine but my point is he had nothing to gain but distrust by saying what he said about the situation at IU. He should have said there were problems but what is in the past is in the past.

Regardless, these people are like you and me and they make a paycheck the same as we do(although at a much higher pay level). Eric Gordon might be making more money than some members on the Clippers team, but the Ricky Davis and Marcus Camby's are going to be the ones who take Eric under their wings.

It's just like working a job somewhere. If you have somebody with higher seniority or age telling you how to improve doing something, odds are you are going to listen.

redsfanmia
12-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Ricky Davis is among the last guys I would want a rookie to follow, the guy is just out there. The whole point of my fist post was to say that EJ should have kept his mouth shut about the IU situation. I know it was bad but by publicly airing dirty laundry he damaged his reputation.

WVRed
12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Ricky Davis is among the last guys I would want a rookie to follow, the guy is just out there. The whole point of my fist post was to say that EJ should have kept his mouth shut about the IU situation. I know it was bad but by publicly airing dirty laundry he damaged his reputation.

I don't think it did any damage to be honest. You don't see Mike Dunleavy criticizing him or anybody from Indiana coming out in the press and denying what Gordon said.

redsfanmia
12-21-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't think it did any damage to be honest. You don't see Mike Dunleavy criticizing him or anybody from Indiana coming out in the press and denying what Gordon said.

You and I are not in a NBA locker room. If I were in that locker room with EJ I would watch my back and I am sure I am not the only one.

Hoosier Red
12-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I think that's overblown to be honest. There's a pretty big advantage to saying what he said.

It's not exactly a state secret that drug use was a problem on last years' team. And for reasons that really aren't his fault, Gordon's always going to be lumped in with last years dissapointment.

So by confirming there was drug use, that he wasn't a part of it, and that guys like DJ, whom he respected were not a part of it, removes the cloud of doubt.

That much being said, I think Dakich's stand has been admirable. It's pretty clear that he really didn't like the players and they didn't like him. But he's stuck his neck out now twice to defend guys who gave him almost a negative effort last year.