PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Perez?

Raisor
12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
The Mets and Boras seem far apart to start on free-agent pitcher Oliver Perez, so their chances to retain him appear remote for now. The Brewers, Dodgers, Reds and perhaps Mariners are seen as potential suitors for the talented but inconsistent young left-hander.

SI.com

Jpup
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
sounds like he will be a Dodger. The Reds aren't going to spend the money that Boras will want. If they do, I would be for it, but I could also see this being Eric Milton all over again.

BRM
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Is that the first time the Reds have been mentioned with Perez? I always assumed his price tag was going to be way too high for Walt.

corkedbat
12-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Is that the first time the Reds have been mentioned with Perez? I always assumed his price tag was going to be way too high for Walt.

It was mentioned before that they had talked, but I believe it was not much more thandue dilligence (kicking the tires).

RedEye
12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Money aside, I think this would be a good signing. The rotation could use a lefty, and Perez has a chance to get better I think.

jojo
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
The Mariners have like 8 guys in line for their rotation. Why would they throw a ton of money at Perez?

wheels
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Well.

I guess if they aren't planning on filling the hole at short, and if they seem to like players that can't hit, another starter would be a good thing.

Sigh.

Jpup
12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
24 homers allowed last season. How would 40 look in GABP?

red-in-la
12-18-2008, 04:45 PM
It was mentioned before that they had talked, but I believe it was not much more thandue dilligence (kicking the tires).

Not to be picky, but due diligence is pretty much the opposite of kicking the tires.

Chip R
12-18-2008, 04:59 PM
24 homers allowed last season. How would 40 look in GABP?

Miltonesque? Andersonriffic? Hamiltonian? Haynesian?

wheels
12-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Miltonesque? Andersonriffic? Hamiltonian? Haynesian?

Oliver can miss some bats.

Much better stuff than any of those fellas. His problem has been consistancy.

Jpup
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM

He can miss some, but he can hit some of them too.

Chip R
12-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Right. But I was just talking about the homers.

RedLegSuperStar
12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
My lefty money is on Mark Mulder..

membengal
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Again, yuck.

BRM
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Boy, I hope us pessimists here at the 'Zone are dead wrong about what this winter will bring. Taveras, Pierre, Mulder...:(

Raisor
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Boy, I hope us pessimists here at the 'Zone are dead wrong about what this winter will bring. Taveras, Pierre, Mulder...:(

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/galactus.jpg

Jpup
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM

already got Nix, what else do you want.:)

Chip R
12-18-2008, 05:38 PM

That'd be sweet. You could start up the DVD of Monty Python and the Holy Grail when he pitches and see whose arm falls off first; Mulder's or the Black Knight's.

membengal
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
That'd be sweet. You could start up the DVD of Monty Python and the Holy Grail when he pitches and see whose arm falls off first; Mulder's or the Black Knight's.

<golf clap>

redsfan4445
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
this was on mlbtraderumours.com:

"Jon Heyman said that the Mets are interested in bringing back lefty Oliver Perez, but the two sides are "still far apart on the dollars." He went on to say that Perez and agent Scott Boras are seeking five years and around $70MM.

NO way the Reds go after him for that knd of money!!

membengal
12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Does Scott Boras rep EVERY free agent this off-season, or does it just seem that way. My goodness gracious (redszone cleaned up phrase), but I don't like him.

WebScorpion
12-19-2008, 11:28 AM

That's just a scratch! :ughmamoru

RedEye
12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
already got Nix, what else do you want.:)

Yeah, I guess we have been pretty greedy this year. :rolleyes:

NJReds
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

"Jon Heyman said that the Mets are interested in bringing back lefty Oliver Perez, but the two sides are "still far apart on the dollars." He went on to say that Perez and agent Scott Boras are seeking five years and around $70MM.

$14M/per. Some days he's worth it, other days he walks the ballpark.

I'd offer 3 yrs/$40. I think he'd be a good fit.

RedsManRick
12-19-2008, 01:04 PM
To what end? We already have four rotation locks and a few good candidates for #5. Spending money on risky SP when we have 1 reliable OF and no reliable SS would be a big mistake.

NJReds
12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
To what end? We already have four rotation locks and a few good candidates for #5. Spending money on risky SP when we have 1 reliable OF and no reliable SS would be a big mistake.

I think having more than four options isn't a bad thing. It also gives you the option of trading Arroyo.

Hard-throwing lefty. Misses bats. I'd take a chance if they can get him below market. I think he'll end up getting what he's looking for, though.

marcshoe
12-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah. I like Perez, and first thought the Reds might go after him, but it seems that Boras is pricing him a level higher than his performance.

REDREAD
12-19-2008, 01:20 PM

That's just crazy money and years. I can't imagine anyone being that desperate for pitching. I wouldn't give him one year at 14 million, let alone 5.

NJReds
12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
That's just crazy money and years. I can't imagine anyone being that desperate for pitching. I wouldn't give him one year at 14 million, let alone 5.

He's 27. Over the past two seasons he's started 63 games, has a 25-17 record, holds opponents to about a .235 average and averages a strikeout per inning. He walks a few as well, but his WHIP is about 1.35.

I think a few teams will be after him. I don't know if he'll get 5/$70, but it wouldn't shock me.

REDREAD
12-19-2008, 04:25 PM
He's 27. Over the past two seasons he's started 63 games, has a 25-17 record, holds opponents to about a .235 average and averages a strikeout per inning. He walks a few as well, but his WHIP is about 1.35.

I think a few teams will be after him. I don't know if he'll get 5/$70, but it wouldn't shock me.

And last time he had a great year and signed a fat contract with Pittsburg, he pretty much tanked.

You bring up a good point. A one year deal would be good and not so risky. So I was exaggerating when I said a one year deal was bad.

I don't think it's a good fit for the Reds though, we need to spend our money upgrading the position players instead. But Perez did better with the Mets than I thought he did, so I do stand corrected :)

corkedbat
12-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I'd rather have Sanchez for less. Just saying. :)

M2
12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm starting to get the impression that Boras is going to have a pack of furious clients after this offseason. Teams are calling his bluffs. Also, his demands are getting so preposterous that markets aren't forming around his clients. For instance, I've yet to hear any team seriously linked to Perez. Lowe's still out there. Manny's getting no traction. Teixeira may have chased off everyone but the desperate (i.e. the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles).