PDA

View Full Version : Choose two outfielders for the Reds

RedEye
12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Assuming the Reds need two OF for 2009, which ones do you acquire? Obviously, there are a lot of contingencies involved here (salary, trade availability, free agent signings, etc.) so feel free to explain your answer on the thread below.

WMR
12-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Other: Dunn

others chosen: Baldelli, Burrell, Bradley

Edit: I DON'T READ GOOD. lol

In order of preference:
1) Dunn
2) Burrell
3) Bradley/Baldelli (tie)

hippie07
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I voted for Dye and Baldelli

- for some reason I'm in love w/ Baldelli/Dickerson platoon in CF - that would make for an excellent platoon, IMO.

- I chose Dye because I want that "sure thing" RBI guy in b/w Bruce & Votto... I think I'd also accept Bradley here, but not to a contract longer than 2 years..

RedEye
12-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Baldelli bursts out to an early lead...

M2
12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I picked Young and Hermida because I'm more interested in upside (and I have little to no confidence Baldelli is physically up to playing a full season). Obviously that would push Jay Bruce to CF. I'd be fine with just one of Young/Hermida and a CF too (David DeJesus remains a guy in whom I'd have interest).

membengal
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Went with Baldelli and Young. Roll the dice. But roll it toward youth with upside.

TRF
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I picked Young and Hermida because I'm more interested in upside (and I have little to no confidence Baldelli is physically up to playing a full season). Obviously that would push Jay Bruce to CF. I'd be fine with just one of Young/Hermida and a CF too (David DeJesus remains a guy in whom I'd have interest).

voted the same way without reading the thread first.

I'm locked in to other posters thought this week.

edabbs44
12-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Burrell and Young...Burrell if they are trying to form a winning ballclub now, Young with the nod to upside and youth.

schroomytunes
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I voted for Burrell and Tavares, I chose Burrell because he gives us that middle of the order power bat from the right side that we need and he fits in perfect between Bruce and Votto. I also chose Tavares because he could platoon with Dickerson in CF and he gives us the speed on the basepaths to generate runs, and he should be ready for a rebound year.

RedEye
12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Looks like Taveras is the Ron Paul of this primary.

AmarilloRed
12-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I went with Baldelli and Burrell. Pat is the right-handed bat we need. As for Baldelli, I just think we need more insurance in CF, and I'm still against a platoon there.

Redhook
12-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I voted for Dye and Baldelli

- for some reason I'm in love w/ Baldelli/Dickerson platoon in CF - that would make for an excellent platoon, IMO.

- I chose Dye because I want that "sure thing" RBI guy in b/w Bruce & Votto... I think I'd also accept Bradley here, but not to a contract longer than 2 years..

Great minds think alike. I was thinking the exact same thing.

jesusfan
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Milton Bradley and Baldelli... I would enjoy a line-up of Baldelli, Phillips, Votto, Bradley, Bruce, Encarnacion, Hernandez, Gonzo/Kepp... Dickerson could spell Baldelli some also.

Raisor
12-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I also chose Tavares because he could platoon with Dickerson in CF and he gives us the speed on the basepaths to generate runs, and he should be ready for a rebound year.

Runs Created
05 66.06 per 600 pa
06 66.66 per 600 pa
07 84.54 per 600 pa
08 63.24 per 600 PA

"One of these kids is doing his own thing..."

If it looked like this I might agree on the rebound thing:

05 86.06
06 86.66
07 84.54
08 63.24

But alas, tis not to be...

Highlifeman21
12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Assuming Bruce is forced to play CF due to my choices, I'd stick Bradley in LF and Burrell in RF.

We'd steal the thunder from the Astros with their Killer Bs with 3 of our own in the OF.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Hermida/Rivera although I wouldn't be opposed to a Baldelli/Dickerson platoon if the medical reports looked favorably upon Baldelli. I also like M2's Young/Hermida possibility if I thought Delmon could lose the attitude that seems to plague his reputation.

Taveras is at best a bench option IMO. Bradley's inability to stay on a NL field scare me (health). Dye, Wigginton and Burrell I could live with under the right circumstances, I don't want any LF for more than 2 years and preferably only 1. Wiggy is a decent 3B option but for the contract he wants I don't think he's a fit, his defense down at 3B is decent but I seem to recall his arm being only adequate.

Will M
12-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I like Wigginton's flexibility if some of the Reds minor league guys arrive sooner than expected.

Tom Servo
12-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Other: The Line

--------------------

HumnHilghtFreel
12-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I went with Bradley and Young. Lots of talent and the possibility for a lot of entertainment!

remdog
12-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Not really undestanding the love for a guy that can't stay on the field for nine innings. (Baldelli)

If you read the other thread on Rocco it's pretty clear that he wasn't misdiagnosed, they simply expanded the diagnosis and they still haven't figured out a cure. This isn't the AL, we don't have the DH and a player has to both hit and field.

As I said in the other thread, it would sure suck if ya' woke up on Opening Day to the reality that both your SS and your CF are going to be useless the rest of the year.

Rem

nate
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Hermida, Wiggington and Baldelli. You get some solid batting, flexibility and a little defense. Dickerson and Baldelli (and even Bruce) can split time in CF, Wiggington can play OF or 3B and Hermida can roam LF. No matter what, you get better offense and a much deeper bench.

Redhook
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Hermida, Wiggington and Baldelli.

I'd actually be pretty damn skippy if the Reds acquired just one of them, let alone all 3 of them.

nate
12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I'd actually be pretty damn skippy if the Reds acquired just one of them, let alone all 3 of them.

Word.

BoydsOfSummer
12-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I want Manny and Milty! Cincinnati is ready for that dynamic duo, I'm telling you!

BAM! Kick it up a notch!

REDREAD
12-18-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm trying to be realistic here. In my dream world, the Reds would get an elite CF that could hit and field, and a LF that could play defense and hit cleanup.

Not going to happen realistically. I picked Young for his offensive upside and Tavaras because unless I am mistaken, he's the only CF on the list. I'd prefer an "other" CF but I am too lazy to figure out a scenerio now.

I'm really surpised at all the love that Heredia is getting, considering he is coming off an 323 OBP season. That's almost as bad a Tavaras, and isn't Heredia a corner OF? Heredia is only two years younger than Tavaras also.
I figured Heredia would get very few votes.

Edit: I guess Baldalli is a CF too, but I am weary of his health too. I don't think he's a good fit for the NL.

Benihana
12-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Delmon Young and Rocco Baldelli.

Baldelli would be a perfect platoon partner for Dickerson. Young has the most upside of any of the options. Also, where's Alex Rios?

Jpup
12-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Why is Abreu not on the list? I choose him and Bradley or just leave Dickerson in center and get just one of them.

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm trying to be realistic here. In my dream world, the Reds would get an elite CF that could hit and field, and a LF that could play defense and hit cleanup.

Not going to happen realistically. I picked Young for his offensive upside and Tavaras because unless I am mistaken, he's the only CF on the list. I'd prefer an "other" CF but I am too lazy to figure out a scenerio now.

I'm really surpised at all the love that Heredia is getting, considering he is coming off an 323 OBP season. That's almost as bad a Tavaras, and isn't Heredia a corner OF? Heredia is only two years younger than Tavaras also.
I figured Heredia would get very few votes.

Edit: I guess Baldalli is a CF too, but I am weary of his health too. I don't think he's a good fit for the NL.

Felix? :confused: :p:

*BaseClogger*
12-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Looks like Taveras is the Ron Paul of this primary.

:confused:

*BaseClogger*
12-19-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm gonna try and be realistic with my picks:

First, like others have stated, I want Hermida for LF. He's got lots of upside and projects well. I think he'd be ok defensively in LF.

Second, I voted "other" for Gabe Kapler. He's a good defender, and crushes lefties. He'd make a great platoon partner for Chris Dickerson...

Krusty
12-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Since wer're being realistic, I see both Dye and Taveras in the Reds outfield next season.

Taveras---If the Reds were willing to pay Patterson 3 to 4 million for one year's service, what makes you think they won't do the same for Taveras? Taveras will be a one year stopgap in center till Drew Stubbs is ready.

Dye---I think the White Sox want another prospect along with Homer Bailey for Dye. The question is what Uncle Walt is willing to give up to the liking of Kenny Williams? Dye would be another stopgap and there is no longterm commitment in money.

So come Opening Day, I could see an outfield of Bruce, Taveras and Dye.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Delmon Young and Rocco Baldelli.

Baldelli would be a perfect platoon partner for Dickerson. Young has the most upside of any of the options. Also, where's Alex Rios?

I tried to limit the poll to names that have either been recently rumored in talks with the Reds (Dye, Hermida, Baldelli, Burrell, Rivera, Taveras, Bradley, Wigginton) or at least said to be on the market for the right price (Young). I haven't seen any of either for Rios. Anyway, he's also a strong possibility for poll answer #10 - other.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Looks like Rocco and Hermida so far, with Young a close third. Yes, RedsZone seems to like upside--and the excitement of the unknown over the solidity of the known.

REDREAD
12-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Felix? :confused: :p:

Sorry, I get names confused sometimes.. :lol: Hermida
I actually looked up the right guy though.

I just wonder though. Similiar profile to Wily T. Two years younger, but in his 3 full seasons, had only one good OBP season.

Is it because more of his OBP is walk driven? Is that why people like him so much? Do people have more hope someone can raise their batting average as opposed to their walk rate? Or do people think the 2 years younger gives him more hope? I am just wondering why he is so attractive, especially since he's a corner OF.

deltachi8
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Adam Dunn.

Alex Rios.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Adam Dunn.

Alex Rios.

Again, neither have been remotely close to rumored to the Reds, which is why they weren't included. I do like them, but I just don't see either happening.

edabbs44
12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks like Rocco and Hermida so far, with Young a close third. Yes, RedsZone seems to like upside--and the excitement of the unknown over the solidity of the known.

The problem is that the only thing known about "the known" is that they probably aren't enough.

I rather not go into the season knowing 100% that the team will suck. At least the younger, upside guys will provide upside and potentially bring value down the road.

The team needs more than a Wiggington to provide the needed punch for the lineup.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 10:19 AM
I'd rather not go into the season knowing 100% that the team will suck.

Truer words were never spoken. :)

nate
12-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Sorry, I get names confused sometimes.. :lol: Hermida
I actually looked up the right guy though.

I just wonder though. Similiar profile to Wily T. Two years younger, but in his 3 full seasons, had only one good OBP season.

Is it because more of his OBP is walk driven? Is that why people like him so much? Do people have more hope someone can raise their batting average as opposed to their walk rate? Or do people think the 2 years younger gives him more hope? I am just wondering why he is so attractive, especially since he's a corner OF.

Hermida has a .100 advantage in slugging, .027 advantage in IsoD and a 31 point OPS+ advantage all while being younger than Willy Taveras.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I wonder what would happen if Walt actually signed Baldelli and traded for Hermida. Would this site explode?

deltachi8
12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I wonder what would happen if Walt actually signed Baldelli and traded for Hermida. Would this site explode?

I could live with that.

Benihana
12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Went with Baldelli and Young. Roll the dice. But roll it toward youth with upside.

Likewise. For some strange reason I really like the idea of a Baldelli/Dickerson platoon in CF. Young gives you options, especially once Alonso is ready to take over at 1B.

Scrap Irony
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Someone would mention that they should have targeted Dunn and a 5,000 post, 50-page "argument" against the Anti-Dunnites would ensue.

Somewhere, somehow, someone might mention the two moves that were actually completed by Cincinnati.

REDREAD
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Hermida has a .100 advantage in slugging, .027 advantage in IsoD and a 31 point OPS+ advantage all while being younger than Willy Taveras.

The increased power is a fair advantage. However, will Hermida hit well enough for a corner OF? That is my concern. Bruce only OPS about 770 last season. I hope that improves, but putting two young, potentially offensively challenged corner OF in the lineup next year isn't going to help the anemic offense.

At SS, CF, C it's easier to accept an OBP challenged guy.

But thanks for explaining your reasoning. I appreciate the feedback, as I was puzzled why Heredia was such an overwhleming favorite.

Falls City Beer
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Walt would be hated on Redszone for not giving folks a legitimate reason to be angry at him.

:cool::(

pahster
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
The increased power is a fair advantage. However, will Hermida hit well enough for a corner OF? That is my concern. Bruce only OPS about 770 last season. I hope that improves, but putting two young, potentially offensively challenged corner OF in the lineup next year isn't going to help the anemic offense.

Hermida's 2007 is indicative of what he's capable of doing. .296/.369/.501/OPS+125

Caveat Emperor
12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Walt would be hated on Redszone for not giving folks a legitimate reason to be angry at him.

:cool::(

I've got Walt's back for a while. He did some loopy things with the Cardinals that seemed to work out well, sometimes in the face of all evidence to the contrary at the time they were done.

He knows what he's doing and has built a championship ballclub. That's something the last few dudes around here can't put on their resume.

Even if he signs Taveras or Rivera, I'll still be a Walt supporter -- though I'll remain puzzled as to exactly what his plan is.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Looks like the Reds may be about to sign Willy Taveras, who only has 3 votes in this poll. Man, Walt really has to start reading RedsZone more.

hippie07
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Looks like the Reds may be about to sign Willy Taveras, who only has 3 votes in this poll. Man, Walt really has to start reading RedsZone more.

link?

RedEye
12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
link?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73223

According to Fay, Walt has "an offer out" to Taveras.

Edit: Or, rather, he is "believed to have an offer out." Not exactly a smoking gun... but I still have a feeling that WT is going to be a Red in 2009.

remdog
12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
[url].... I still have a feeling that WT is going to be a Red in 2009.

I've got that same feeling and it's got me looking for my Zantac.

Rem

hippie07
12-19-2008, 08:19 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73223

According to Fay, Walt has "an offer out" to Taveras.

Edit: Or, rather, he is "believed to have an offer out." Not exactly a smoking gun... but I still have a feeling that WT is going to be a Red in 2009.

oh ok, i'd read that article, but for some reason "close to signing" caused me to go into a panic-induced rage... i can live w/ "believed to have an offer out" even tho its not good news, by any means

Mario-Rijo
12-20-2008, 06:50 AM

At SS, CF, C it's easier to accept an OBP challenged guy.

But thanks for explaining your reasoning. I appreciate the feedback, as I was puzzled why Heredia was such an overwhleming favorite.

I don't think there is any question he will hit well enough for it. Just go take a look at his Road #'s? He is killing the ball outside of the gargantuan joint he's currently playing in. His power just doesn't play well there, putting him in the exact opposite type of park could pay massive dividends.