PDA

View Full Version : What should the SS plan be for 2009?

RedEye
12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
This is a recurrent topic in this forum that I thought deserved a poll. I've tried to lay out the options that appear to be the most salient at this point. As always, feel free to explain how you voted and why in the thread below.

PuffyPig
12-19-2008, 10:19 AM
I would like us to get an external young guy, but I think the cost will be prohibitive.

Chip R
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Bring Juan Castro back, of course.

BRM
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
:explode:

My preference would be for Walt to trade for a young SS but I can't see it happening.

RANDY IN INDY
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Sign an outfielder with a big bat and go "in house" with a defensive emphasis at short.

Will M
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
We can fill the LF & right handed CF needs in the free agent market.

Then use our trade chips to fix the SS position.

bucksfan2
12-19-2008, 11:13 AM

But the stache at SS. Heck he is so agile he can play the entire left side of the infield by himself!

NC Reds
12-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Move Phillips to SS. Groom Valaika for 2B.

RedEye
12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Move Phillips to SS. Groom Valaika for 2B.

And put... Aaron Miles at 2B???

Chip R
12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
But the stache at SS. Heck he is so agile he can play the entire left side of the infield by himself!

That would be teh awesome!

redsmetz
12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Sign an outfielder with a big bat and go "in house" with a defensive emphasis at short.

I picked the first option, but it's qualified. I've said through this off season that the SS position is the last priority. With Gonzalez remaining a question mark, it's very possible that we'll need to address it before the start of the season, but for now, I think we need the right handed bat, perhaps a platoon for center, before we need the SS question answered. I agree with others who mentioned that filling it via trade may come at too high a price and therefore, I think that's why this question is lowest in priority.

marcshoe
12-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Trade for a young player--though I also wonder if moving Phillips would be an easier solution.

Jpup
12-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Elvis Andrus.

M2
12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Staying in house strikes me as a case of willfully ignoring calamity. The veteran options are injured and inadequate, there is no long-term answer in the system (Janish can't cut it at the plate, Valaika lacks the defense). The Reds need to find someone from outside the organization and there's no point in putting it off. It has to be done and no amount of procrastination will change that.

Raisor
12-19-2008, 11:43 AM

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/galactus.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
12-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Staying in house strikes me as a case of willfully ignoring calamity. The veteran options are injured and inadequate, there is no long-term answer in the system (Janish can't cut it at the plate, Valaika lacks the defense). The Reds need to find someone from outside the organization and there's no point in putting it off. It has to be done and no amount of procrastination will change that.

I agree that it needs to be fixed, but I am not convinced that the answer is there, via trade, for this season. No doubt, SS is one of the most important positions on the baseball field. I hope the Reds can find someone that will fill the position for years to come. It certainly solidifies the defense, knowing who is going to be there on a a daily basis and that they can handle the position and make the plays. Not a problem that the Reds have had to deal with for some time.

NJReds
12-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Saw this on mlbtraderumors:

The A's placed shortstop Bobby Crosby on outright waivers in the hope that some team will assume his $5.75MM salary for '09. After his lousy '08, he may go unclaimed.

I wonder if he's got anything left. I doubt it, but it might be worth it to "kick the tires"

Chip R
12-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Saw this on mlbtraderumors:

I wonder if he's got anything left. I doubt it, but it might be worth it to "kick the tires"

He makes Ryan Freel look like Cal Ripkin, Jr.

Highlifeman21
12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
If Javy Valentin can play 3B, he should easily be able to play SS, right?

Chip R
12-19-2008, 04:52 PM
If Javy Valentin can play 3B, he should easily be able to play SS, right?

Javy should play all 9 positions in a game. Then the rest of the world would realize how awesome he is.

RANDY IN INDY
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Totally agree.

Raisor
12-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Javy should play all 9 positions in a game. Then the rest of the world would realize how awesome he is.

Only if he grows back his mustache. It's the source of his power.

OnBaseMachine
12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
I want a young shortstop. In fact, acquiring a young shortstop would be my number one priority ahead of acquiring another a big bat. I would target Erick Aybar of the Angels. He's got solid potential in his bat as evidenced by his minor league stats and he's got plus defensive skills. The Angels have some depth at SS and would probably trade Aybar. Aybar/Phillips would be one of the best middle infields in all of baseball.

mth123
12-20-2008, 03:28 AM

Pretty much says it all.

Staying with the current group not only costs this team runs on both offense and defense, but puts a lot of other things at risk IMO. I think a good SS is essential to the development, maturation and health of the young pitchers (which is the basis of the sketchy long term plan for this team) and for the devlopment of the eventual long term 3B who will help fill the middle of the order RH bat situation. Whether its the erratic EdE, the untried Frazier or the kid Soto, I think a stable, solid SS is needed playing next to them.

Mario-Rijo
12-20-2008, 04:31 AM
What I'd do in order.

#1 Trade a couple of C prospects for M. Izturis
#2 Trade more for Ivan DeJesus Jr. or E. Aybar (in that order)
#3 Sign Orlando Cabrera to a 2 year deal
#4 Trade for Elvis Andrus or Reid Brignac (in that order)
#5 Move BP to SS and sign Hudson (I know but I'd do it anyway)
#6 Start Paul Janish w/ Keppinger coming off the bench (assuming we got a real middle of the lineup bat 1st)

I doubt Yunel Escobar is available anymore since they dealt their only other SS option, Lillibridge.