PDA

View Full Version : Bengals considering a GM?

Matt700wlw
12-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Profootballtalk.com

PROJECT MAYHEM A SUCCESS?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 22, 2008, 1:37 p.m.
The fine folks at WhoDeyRevolution.com have been trying their damnedest to persuade Bengals president Mike Brown to hire a General Manager.

Regardless of whether the billboards and the urinal cakes have had any impact on Brown, there’s talk that the franchise is considering exactly such a move.

The first name tied to the Bengals, we’re told, is Randy Mueller. The former Saints and Dolphins G.M. currently works in the Chargers’ front office, and Mueller’s star is ascending again because of the resurgence of the Dolphins. Though most of the credit for Miami’s performance will go to Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano, a lot of the players were brought to town with the involvement of Mueller.

WMR
12-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Hire a GM

Expand the Scouting staff

Build a practice bubble

oh yeah, and Mike Brown relinquishes football-related decisions...

THEN we might be onto something. :(

Redhook
12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't buy it. I won't gets my hopes up until it's true.

MrCinatit
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Why do I have a feeling that the only GM that Brown could convince to work here would be Matt Millen?

Bip Roberts
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Will it matter?

Redhook
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Will it matter?

Of course not.

However, if a GM comes in it will at least tell me that Mike Brown has changed in some small way and acknowledged the fact that he doesn't have a clue how to build a football team. He won't believe that, but I will take it that way. If this does come true, I will find a brief moment in my day to shed a light smile knowing that Mike Brown conceded in trying to build a winner by himself.

ochre
12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
It will probably be John Allen... :)

Bip Roberts
12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Of course not.

However, if a GM comes in it will at least tell me that Mike Brown has changed in some small way and acknowledged the fact that he doesn't have a clue how to build a football team. He won't believe that, but I will take it that way. If this does come true, I will find a brief moment in my day to shed a light smile knowing that Mike Brown conceded in trying to build a winner by himself.

Even if Brown changed he would still find a way to hire the worst possible canidate

KronoRed
12-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Nah he would hire the right guy to follow his plan, come in under budget.

Newport Red
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
It will all die down after the personal seat license checks come in.

WMR
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
It will all die down after the personal seat license checks come in.

Do we have any season ticket holders on RZ?

Are you planning on renewing your tickets?

If so, WHY?

Redhook
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM

If so, WHY?

I actually have 2 co-workers that have season tickets and one of them actually had the audacity to ask me if I wanted to go halvsies with him next year. I started laughing, but shortly thereafter realized he was serious. I couldn't believe it. I don't know why anyone would pay to see them right now.

dsmith421
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM

I had tickets this year. I went to four games, gave two games to family members and ate the last two because literally no one wanted them. I will find something better to do with my money next season, GM or no.

TheBigLebowski
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
That would almost make this disaster of a season worthwhile.

redsfanmia
12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Does it matter? Brown could hire a GM but he is still going to strong arm his philosophies on him and I am sure Mike will still retain final say on all moves.

WVRed
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
I do like Randy Mueller though if this turns out to be true.

Yachtzee
12-22-2008, 10:17 PM
I think we've seen this before. Rumors come out that the Bengals are considering hiring a GM. Things ferment for a few weeks and then Mike Brown gives an interview in which he emphatically states that they will not be hiring a GM.

Redsfaithful
12-23-2008, 07:36 AM
I think they might do it this time. With the way the economy is the status quo is going to mean a huge drop in season ticket renewals next year. Corporations aren't going to keep flushing money buying luxury suites in this economic environment when none of their clients want to go watch a joke of a franchise.

SunDeck
12-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Sure, Katie Blackburn for GM. That'd be Mike's choice.

wolfboy
12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Does it matter? Brown could hire a GM but he is still going to strong arm his philosophies on him and I am sure Mike will still retain final say on all moves.

Exactly. If and when they hire someone, I doubt they'll have any real responsibilities other than scouting the senior bowl and regional college games.

OesterPoster
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Exactly. If and when they hire someone, I doubt they'll have any real responsibilities other than scouting the senior bowl and regional college games.

Touché. How else could they draft 2 guys from UCLA, 2 more from Southern Miss, and 2 more from a directional Michigan school?

OesterPoster
12-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Build a practice bubble

Nonsense. Why would Mikey build an indoor practice facility when the University of Cincinnati is going to build one for him? He'll hang out in his Lumina in front of the building to find out when it's not in use, then shuttle the Bengals team in on public busing for "free" indoor practice.

wolfboy
12-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Touché. How else could they draft 2 guys from UCLA, 2 more from Southern Miss, and 2 more from a directional Michigan school?

The drugstore list will run you $13 bucks.

Newport Red
02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Looks like the GM talk lasted about a news cycle.

eichstadtreds
02-22-2009, 05:27 PM

If so, WHY?

I am. Because it's always good to watch a game and because I am not a band wagon fan.

redhawkfish
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I am. Because it's always good to watch a game and because I am not a band wagon fan.

What does that mean? People who are tired of being Mike Brown's pocketliners are bandwagon fans?:rolleyes:

There is a difference between bandwagon and allowing yourself to be completely taken advantage of by an owner.

"Bandwagon fan" is one of the most idiotic phrases in sports.

eichstadtreds
02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
What does that mean? People who are tired of being Mike Brown's pocketliners are bandwagon fans?:rolleyes:

There is a difference between bandwagon and allowing yourself to be completely taken advantage of by an owner.

"Bandwagon fan" is one of the most idiotic phrases in sports.

I look at it as supporting a team not an owner. And it is Bandwagon fans, when they win there was a waiting list of 50,000 people now it is much easier to get season tickets. Mike Brown has been the owner through it all. So if you had season tickets at the time you were lining the pockets of Mike Brown. His philosphy didn't change, he was still cheap, the only difference was they were winning. Bandwagon fans are people who only support a team when they are winning. I understand hating Mike Brown but i still enjoy going to game.

WMR
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm the furthest thing from a bandwagon fan.

I support the Bengals, I cheer for the Bengals, I talk about the Bengals, I type about the Bengals ... when they're winning (rarely) or more usually when they're finding new and unusual ways to suck.

Would I give Mike Brown thousands of my hard earned dollars, however? Hell no.

eichstadtreds
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm the furthest thing from a bandwagon fan.

I support the Bengals, I cheer for the Bengals, I talk about the Bengals, I type about the Bengals ... when they're winning (rarely) or more usually when they're finding new and unusual ways to suck.

I was talking more about the people who spend money when they win but won't when they lose. It all goes to Mike Brown always has, always will at least to someone in the Brown family.

WMR
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I was talking more about the people who spend money when they win but won't when they lose. It all goes to Mike Brown always has, always will at least to someone in the Brown family.

Maybe when Mike dies Katie will run things differently. Perhaps watching her father bumble around all these years has taught her something. Perhaps the Brown "GENIUS" gene skips a generation.

We can pray at least.

dsmith421
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately, thanks to Bob Bedinghaus (how is that guy not in jail?) all of us that shop in Hamilton County already do.

I'm actually very sympathetic to the view that the "NFL Experience" is fun even if the team isn't very good. Particularly when the weather is nice, going down to Longworth Hall and tailgating with friends is a blast. But my enjoyment generally ends the second I walk into the stadium. So this season I gave up my season tickets and plan to go tailgate the first game or two of the season.

Reds4Life
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately, thanks to Bob Bedinghaus (how is that guy not in jail?) all of us that shop in Hamilton County already do.

I'm actually very sympathetic to the view that the "NFL Experience" is fun even if the team isn't very good. Particularly when the weather is nice, going down to Longworth Hall and tailgating with friends is a blast. But my enjoyment generally ends the second I walk into the stadium. So this season I gave up my season tickets and plan to go tailgate the first game or two of the season.

I had season tickets, but I didn't renew. Perhaps it's just me, but putting up with loud mouth annoying drunks (who are loaded by the time the game starts) gets annoying really quick. I have seen more fights at PBS than I care to remember. A friend of mine had a knife pulled on her over in Lot D by some idiot. Honestly, I'd think twice about taking any kids to an NFL game these days.

Heath
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I take my kids to pre-season games all the time. Nicer crowd. Less Rowdy.

dsmith421
02-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Perhaps it's just me, but putting up with loud mouth annoying drunks (who are loaded by the time the game starts) gets annoying really quick. I have seen more fights at PBS than I care to remember. A friend of mine had a knife pulled on her over in Lot D by some idiot. Honestly, I'd think twice about taking any kids to an NFL game these days.

I was fortunate to have tickets in a relatively sedate section, but I gave my tickets for the Jaguars game to my girlfriend and her friend, who narrowly avoided a barf bomb from some inebriate a few rows back.

Unfortunately the Bengals games seem to really coax out the white trash element.

Newport Red
02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I was fortunate to have tickets in a relatively sedate section, but I gave my tickets for the Jaguars game to my girlfriend and her friend, who narrowly avoided a barf bomb from some inebriate a few rows back.

Unfortunately the Bengals games seem to really coax out the white trash element.

I used to work for a company that had 12 season tickets. I've been to plenty preseason and meaningless Nov/Dec games. I remember one preseason game a few years back, an obviously drunk guy was explaining rather loudly nudie bar "etiquette" to the novices. LOL