PDA

View Full Version : Larkin accepts job with MLB Network

OnBaseMachine
12-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Larkin chooses to join MLB Network
Former shortstop was special assistant to GM in Washington

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- Barry Larkin said on Monday that he is leaving the Nationals to take a job as an analyst with the MLB Network, which launches on Jan. 1, 2009.

Larkin, 44, spent the past four seasons as a special assistant to Nationals general manager Jim Bowden. He worked with Minor League players on hitting, baserunning and fielding, and sometimes helped Bowden make personnel decisions.

During the final weeks of the 2008 season, however, Larkin was in talks with Bowden about his future with the club. Bowden offered Larkin the first-base coaching job, but Larkin turned it down because of family commitments and business interests outside of baseball. The position eventually went to Marquis Grissom.

"Jim offered me a job, but I needed more flexibility," Larkin said by phone.

Larkin also said the Reds, the team he played with for 19 seasons, offered him a chance to return to the organization this offseason, but he chose to work for the MLB Network, which will air live games, original programming, highlights, classic games and coverage of baseball events.

Larkin is considered one of the best shortstops in Reds history, collecting 2,340 career hits with a lifetime batting average of .295. Larkin also won the National League Most Valuable Player Award in 1995 and three Gold Gloves during his career.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081222&content_id=3726208&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I was hoping Larkin would rejoin the Reds organization but I can't blame him for wanting to spend more time with his family. Maybe when his kids grow up he'll go into coaching.

Ron Madden
12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Good for Barry!

He should do very well as an analyst. I wish him well.

Unassisted
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
It's good to see another prominent former Red get a high-profile media gig.

This is a much better deal for him than working for the Reds in any capacity would have been.

George Anderson
12-22-2008, 09:57 PM
It's good to see another prominent former Red get a high-profile media gig.

This is a much better deal for him than working for the Reds in any capacity would have been.

This high profile media gig should help him get attention needed for the HOF.

One thing for sure, I bet he will be better than Joe Morgan is.

11larkin11
12-22-2008, 09:59 PM
This is the second place I would want him, behind in the Reds organization. As long as he isn't affiliated with any other MLB teams, its fine with me. Hopefully he is an analyst for games, and the Reds get a few Thursday games on the Network. Blackouts?

Ron Madden
12-22-2008, 10:05 PM
This high profile media gig should help him get attention needed for the HOF.

One thing for sure, I bet he will be better than Joe Morgan is.

There's no doubt in my mind he will do a much better job than Jeff Brantly.

remdog
12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, there goes our chances for an upgrade at SS in '09.

Rem

RedsManRick
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm just a little worried that Barry will talk about the value of small ball while playing the game the right way. The image in my mind of Barry as baseball perfection would be tarnished.

BCubb2003
12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm just a little worried that Barry will talk about the value of small ball while playing the game the right way. The image in my mind of Barry as baseball perfection would be tarnished.

Heh. It makes me wonder, what player would we consider to have the best understanding of sabremetrics?

RedsManRick
12-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Heh. It makes me wonder, what player would we consider to have the best understanding of sabremetrics?

Brian Bannister in Kansas City is the best that I'm aware of.

BCubb2003
12-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Brian Bannister in Kansas City is the best that I'm aware of.

As in, his performance is sabrelicious, or that he knows and talks about it?

11larkin11
12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-springbannister030808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think this is what he means. Wow, what a great read.

BCubb2003
12-23-2008, 12:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-springbannister030808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think this is what he means. Wow, what a great read.

Excellent. Thanks.

REDREAD
12-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Excellent. I think Larkin will do a great job.

The problem is though, is that we all have our views and perceptions of what we want our heroes to be. I hope the extra exposure doesn't tarnish Barry in the views of some people. Joe Morgan is a great example. As soon as he started broadcasting, he became very annoying to me.

I think Barry will do a great job, but it's obviously impossible for him to please everyone.
I bet he'll have a lot more class than the Brennamans.

MrCinatit
12-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Ah, shoot. I would have rather seen him with the Reds.
That said, it makes me want to watch the MLB Network even more.

Jpup
12-23-2008, 08:52 AM
I hope Larkin is better than he was in the College World Series. He's said homers were rally killers. :confused:

Gainesville Red
12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks a lot Barry, now I've gotta buy the mlb network.

(I probably would have either way.)

westofyou
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Nothing can diminish Barry's knowledge of the game as far as I'm concerned, the affront to Joe Morgan's opinion didn't change my opinion on him and I'm sure a firebarrylarkin.com site would be equally poor in its attempt to make him look foolish.

lollipopcurve
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Nothing can diminish Barry's knowledge of the game as far as I'm concerned, the affront to Joe Morgan's opinion didn't change my opinion on him and I'm sure a firebarrylarkin.com site would be equally poor in its attempt to make him look foolish.

Seconded.

remdog
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Third on that.

Rem

OnBaseMachine
12-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Agreed 100%.

Barry did an excellent job announcing during the CWS. I'm looking forward to hearing him again.

bucksfan2
12-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Barry Larkin always seemed to be one step ahead of the competition. He knew exactly what had to be done in a given situation. IMO it was what separated him from your good players and made him an elite SS. Its always nice to see a "gamer" with that elite talent level. Unfortunately for me the MLB Network won't be in HD but I look forward to his insight on games.

BoydsOfSummer
12-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I wish they'd add Costas. I'd like to see Bob do a weekly interview with a "Baseball Legend". Just a half hour a week would be great.

bucksfan2
12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I wish they'd add Costas. I'd like to see Bob do a weekly interview with a "Baseball Legend". Just a half hour a week would be great.

I think Bob Costas has bigger ideas than doing a weekly segment on MLB Network. The only way he leaves NBC is to become the commish of MLB.

BoydsOfSummer
12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
He's being totally wasted at NBC. I figure he could spare a half hour a week, I'm not asking for much. :D

HeatherC1212
12-23-2008, 10:38 PM
That's very cool for Barry. I wish I got the MLB Network but I don't think we have the right Time Warner cable package.

Mario-Rijo
12-24-2008, 12:14 AM

It's certainly your right to feel this way, but I know if I did I'd re-think my philosophy.

RedsManRick
12-24-2008, 12:59 AM
It's certainly your right to feel this way, but I know if I did I'd re-think my philosophy.

Don't get me wrong. It was meant more of a comment on the nature of childhood idolship. I'd still have the utmost respect for Barry and his incredible talent. It would just be like the first time you see one of your teachers at a restaurant and have to comprehend that they exist outside of school.