PDA

View Full Version : Corey Patterson signs with...not the Reds!

edabbs44
12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
The Denver Post reports that the Nationals have signed Corey Patterson and Jorge Sosa to minor league deals.

Who didn't see that one coming? The Nats have been sniffing around for a center fielder with the idea of moving Lastings Milledge to a corner, but it'd hardly make sense to play Patterson over Josh Willingham, Austin Kearns or Elijah Dukes. The Nats also have Wily Mo Pena and Willie Harris for the outfield, and since Jim Bowden is still running the show, they might not be through yet.

Jay Bruce
12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
In addition, Gary Majewski signed with the Phillies. This may be the best Christmas ever!

edabbs44
12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Banner day for former Cincy stiffs.

Phillies Sign Gary Majewski
By Tim Dierkes [December 23 at 2:51pm CST]
According to Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, the Phillies signed reliever Gary Majewski to a minor league deal worth $650K.

redsmetz
12-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Bowden is petitioning Bud Selig to allow the Nationals to field a softball team with four outfielders?

HeatherC1212
12-23-2008, 04:20 PM
YAY!!! It wasn't us!!!! :jump:

WMR
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
So they have 6 outfielders competing for... 3 spots... and Jimbo's solution is to.... SIGN ANOTHER OUTFIELDER.

Mario-Rijo
12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
The Denver Post reports that the Nationals have signed Corey Patterson and Jorge Sosa to minor league deals.

Who didn't see that one coming? The Nats have been sniffing around for a center fielder with the idea of moving Lastings Milledge to a corner, but it'd hardly make sense to play Patterson over Josh Willingham, Austin Kearns or Elijah Dukes. The Nats also have Wily Mo Pena and Willie Harris for the outfield, and since Jim Bowden is still running the show, they might not be through yet.

Drew Stubbs + for Lastings Milledge would be awesome. Too bad Drew stunk up the AFL or he might have been a decent chip this offseason.

Topcat
YAY!!! It wasn't us!!!! :jump:

So true :D

Matt700wlw
Now that that's over....

George Anderson
12-23-2008, 04:30 PM
If Corey wants job security he might look and see if Many Acta has a daughter he can date.

HeatherC1212
12-23-2008, 04:32 PM
If Corey wants job security he might look and see if Clint Hurdle has a daughter he can date.

Isn't Hurdle with the Rockies? Corey signed with the Nats. :confused:

Always Red
12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
In CP's defense, he did play the best defensive CF this team has seen since Mike Cameron's days.

Too bad Corey can't hit worth a lick.

Tom Servo
12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Please now JimBo, sign Taveras and platoon him with Patterson. :pray:

Ron Madden
12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
In CP's defense, he did play the best defensive CF this team has seen since Mike Cameron's days.

Agreed on both points.

guttle11
12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Pants is pretty militant about this Reds East thing, huh?

vic715
12-23-2008, 05:36 PM

I agree with that. With Corey I always thought and still think the talent is there but he must be uncoachable. In my 48 years watching the Reds I've seen only one guy who could probably outrun him and that was Vada Pinson.
Patterson would be a good guy to have off the bench in late innings for pinchrun and defensive purposes only. Problem is Dusty would find a way to get him 300 atbats.

chicoruiz
12-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Corey always struck me as a guy who'd let his game be ruined by the idea that he had power. If he would have choked up on the bat a bit he could have gone something like .280/.350/.400, but instead he stuck with that long swing that he had no control over once it was started. Slap-hitting is considered sissy nowadays, I guess, like slap fighting. Too bad...

pahster
12-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Corey always struck me as a guy who'd let his game be ruined by the idea that he had power. If he would have choked up on the bat a bit he could have gone something like .280/.350/.400, but instead he stuck with that long swing that he had no control over once it was started. Slap-hitting is considered sissy nowadays, I guess, like slap fighting. Too bad...

I was under the impression that Patterson had recently begun to shorten his swing in an attempt to strike out less and that this change coincided with his bat going from mediocre with decent power to garbage.

paintmered
12-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Our great, national nightmare is over.

marcshoe
12-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Our great, national nightmare is over.

....or maybe the great Nationals nightmare has just begun. ;)

(not so) Bold prediction: Nationals sign Dunn very soon.

Matt700wlw
12-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Corey's is a minor league deal ($800,000)

Cyclone792
12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Good riddance, Corey. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

And while you're at it, take your father-in-law with you.

WMR
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Good riddance, Corey. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

And while you're at it, take your father-in-law with you.

:D:beerme:

Spring~Fields
12-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Two more officially out the door, I feel much better now.

MrCinatit
12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I've just realized what Bowden is going for. He is going for the ultimate royal flush - he is not going simply for an all "former Reds" team...he is attempting to put together a starting lineup consisting only of former Reds outfielders!

1b Dmitri Young
3b Willie Mo Pena (why not?)
lf Dunn
cf Patterson
rf Kearns

That leaves second, short and catcher open.
Freel will be traded sometime mid-season. There is their second baseman.
Hairston will sign with the Nationals. There is their shortstop.
I expect the catching position will be filled by either Jason Ellison or Buck Cotes.
And finally, in one of the great coups of major league baseball: Ken Griffey Jr. will forgo any further career as an outfielder and become one of their starting pitchers:

1B Dmitri Young
2b Ryan Freel
ss Jerry Hairston
3b Willy Mo Pena
lf Adam Dunn
cf Corey Patterson
rf Austin Kearns
c Buck Coats
SP Ken Griffey Jr.

It's pure genius, I tell you!

4256 Hits
12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Bowden is petitioning Bud Selig to allow the Nationals to field a softball team with four outfielders?

He is to late Walt has already filed a petition to only play two OF at a time. :p:

WMR
12-23-2008, 08:18 PM
I've just realized what Bowden is going for. He is going for the ultimate royal flush - he is not going simply for an all "former Reds" team...he is attempting to put together a starting lineup consisting only of former Reds outfielders!

1b Dmitri Young
lf Dunn
cf Patterson
rf Kearns

I expect the catching position will be filled by either Jason Ellison or Buck Cotes.
And finally, in one of the great coups of major league baseball: Ken Griffey Jr. will forgo any further career as an outfielder and become one of their starting pitchers:

1B Dmitri Young
2b Ryan Freel
ss Jerry Hairston
3b Willy Mo Pena
lf Adam Dunn
cf Corey Patterson
rf Austin Kearns
c Buck Coats
SP Ken Griffey Jr.

:lol:

Always Red
12-23-2008, 08:20 PM

1b Dmitri Young
lf Dunn
cf Patterson
rf Kearns

1B Dmitri Young
2b Ryan Freel
ss Jerry Hairston
3b Willy Mo Pena
lf Adam Dunn
cf Corey Patterson
rf Austin Kearns
c Buck Coats
SP Ken Griffey Jr.

It's the ultimate in hubris.

The man is just trying to prove, to whomever will pay attention to him, that he was right about these players.

Reds Nd2
12-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Drew Stubbs + for Lastings Milledge would be awesome. Too bad Drew stunk up the AFL or he might have been a decent chip this offseason.

I'd have to put the beer down, get a good nights sleep and think about it some before I'd deal Drew for Lastings straight up. However I wouldn't mind picking Bowdens pocket for both Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge.

KronoRed
12-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll stay calm about this, we still have a great shot of ending up with another Corey in Taveras.

remdog
12-23-2008, 08:24 PM
One thing you have to say for JimBo: he's paying far closer to Patterson's value than Wayne did. :)

Rem

Reds Nd2
12-23-2008, 08:30 PM
He is to late Walt has already filed a petition to only play two OF at a time. :p:

Well, he already has Jay Bruce in the fold. Who is the other OF? :)

Blitz Dorsey
12-23-2008, 08:36 PM
One thing you have to say for JimBo: he's paying far closer to Patterson's value than Wayne did. :)

Rem

Very true. I still can't believe the Reds outbid themselves on a guy that was out on the street begging for a job during spring training. Actually, I can believe it. Krivsky was pretty good at jumping the gun and outbidding himself on contracts. Like when he extended Freel for no reason, gave DRoss too much money, Stanton, etc.

But seriously, giving Corey Patterson $3 million when no one else wanted the bum pretty much takes the cake.

TRF
12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Somehow getting Dukes and Milledge would mean an OF of Dukes, Milledge, Dickerson and Bruce.

I could really live with that.

Thompson, Valaika and my favorite whipping boy Stubbs for Dukes and Milledge. I'd even throw in Lecure

gm
12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
In my 48 years watching the Reds I've seen only one guy who could probably outrun him and that was Vada Pinson.

Two guys with the initials DS say :wave:

(that would be Deion Sanders and Donnie Sadler, who once scored from 2b on a sac fly)

VR
12-23-2008, 08:58 PM
It's a Christmas miracle.

Jim Bowden. Wow.

Blitz Dorsey
12-23-2008, 09:52 PM

(that would be Deion Sanders and Donnie Sadler, who once scored from 2b on a sac fly)

Good call with Neon Deion.

Eric Davis in his youth was quite the burner as well. Every bit as fast as Patterson. Davis had 80 steals in 1986 and was as good as they came in CF.

And don't forget Billy Bates who scored the winning run in Game 2 of the '90 WS (and once out-ran a cheetah before a game).

marcshoe
12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Good call with Neon Deion.

Eric Davis in his youth was quite the burner as well. Every bit as fast as Patterson. Davis had 80 steals in 1986 and was as good as they came in CF.

And don't forget Billy Bates who scored the winning run in Game 2 of the '90 WS (and once out-ran a cheetah before a game).

No big deal; Cheetah's never win. :p:

Reds Nd2
12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Very true. I still can't believe the Reds outbid themselves on a guy that was out on the street begging for a job during spring training. Actually, I can believe it. Krivsky was pretty good at jumping the gun and outbidding himself on contracts. Like when he extended Freel for no reason, gave DRoss too much money, Stanton, etc.

But seriously, giving Corey Patterson $3 million when no one else wanted the bum pretty much takes the cake.

:laugh:

WVRedsFan
12-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Do that mean that the only surviving member of the "trade" on the major league team is Billy Bray?

So, we get rid of 300 AB's of nothing, a pitcher who couldn't get an out without giving up a run, and replaced them with an over 40 reliever and no one. Why do I feel like we're on a roll??? :).

vic715
12-24-2008, 12:28 AM

True, those guys could scoot,and alot of guys on this board probably never saw Vada play but I'll promise you the guy could flat out run.

WVRedsFan
12-24-2008, 12:37 AM
True, those guys could scoot,and alot of guys on this board probably never saw Vada play but I'll promise you the guy could flat out run.

I'll be witness to that. He was every bit as fast as the Neon one and Cameron, too. Just us old guys remember that. I once saw him break on a ball towards the right field line, run in front of the right fielder and catch the ball before the other guy could react. Pretty good stuff.

savafan
12-24-2008, 02:12 AM
It boggles my mind how Jim Bowden continues to have a job as a MLB general manager. The man has no knowledge of how to build a baseball team.

WVRedsFan
12-24-2008, 02:22 AM
It boggles my mind how Jim Bowden continues to have a job as a MLB general manager. The man has no knowledge of how to build a baseball team.

Lots of those guys around including our last two GM's (ducking and running for cover). It's nice that we're seeing the weeding out of some of the guys who were valued in past administrations at a high price. Well, at least nice to me...:)

savafan
12-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Lots of those guys around including our last two GM's (ducking and running for cover). It's nice that we're seeing the weeding out of some of the guys who were valued in past administrations at a high price. Well, at least nice to me...:)

I'm not so sure the last two guys ever started trying to build a team. It seemed like they were patching things together while trying to build a strong foundation for the future.

GAC
12-24-2008, 05:13 AM

I guess I'm one of the few who is old enough to remember watching Vada play. One of my all-time favorite Reds. Pinson combined power, speed and defensive ability. He had some great seasons with the Reds, and many thought he was on his way to be a sure HOFer. But after the Reds he pretty much became a journeyman OFer.

But I loved the guy.

His best season was 1963....led the NL with 204 hits and 14 triples. He batted .313 with 22 homers and 106 RBI, as he know hit third in front of Frank Robinson. Add in 37 doubles, 96 runs, 27 steals, and a .514 slugging mark, and you have a very good season all the way around. He was also one of the 3-4 best defensive outfielders in the league.

He is ranked 17th among the Top 50 all-time at CF

http://www.thebaseballpage.com/positions/rankings/CF.php

I've always wondered how he would have performed had he played in today's game?

Chip R
12-24-2008, 01:32 PM

I would say he does have some knowledge but it just isn't very good.

TRF
12-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I would say he does have some knowledge but it just isn't very good.

And yet he put together that 99 team that rejuvenated my interest in baseball.

He HAD the ability. but after 2000 he turned into a parody of himself. He became enamored with the idea of acquiring the next KGJ. He didn't want to draft him, he wanted to steal him. I'll give him this though, his 2009 Nats are starting to remind me a lot of his 99 Reds. Not exactly, but he's pretty close.

OnBaseMachine
12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I'll give him this though, his 2009 Nats are starting to remind me a lot of his 99 Reds. Not exactly, but he's pretty close.

The 2009 Nationals will be lucky to win 65 games. They have hardly nothing in common with the 1999 Reds.

TRF
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
The 2009 Nationals will be lucky to win 65 games. They have hardly nothing in common with the 1999 Reds.

I disagree. The OF is remarkably similar. 1st and 3B also similar. The rotation is similar. He's lacking at 2B and SS, and perhaps in the pen. C is unproven, but I'd take Flores on the Reds. Now that I look at the Nats pen, I see it has some potential. The rotation is iffy, but Olsen is an upgrade, and Cabrerra is a wild card.

The 99 team kinda stunk for the first 2 months with a weak rotation held together by Steve Avery.

I'm not saying they are going to win 90 games, but there are similarities.

OnBaseMachine
12-24-2008, 03:16 PM
The Nationals rotation is pretty bad. John Lannan was their best starter in 2008, and his peripherals were ugly. I wouldn't expect a repeat out of him. They also lost their top reliever Rauch.

I agree, they have a nice outfield but it's mostly potential right now. Dukes is a great talent but can he stay out of trouble? Will Milledge breakout? Can Kearns or Willingham stay healthy?

Again, I'd be shocked if they won 65 games.

Jim Bowden is one of the worst GM's I have ever seen. I'm amazed that he still has a job.

TRF
12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
the '99 rotation had one guy make 30 starts (Harnisch) the rest of the rotation was Tomko, Neagle, Villone, Parris, Guzman (half a season), Avery and Bere. Parris had a career year, Harnisch was rescued from the scrap heap, as was just about everyone else. Tomko quit on the Reds. The bullpen was unheralded but outstanding. The top 5 in the pen were all under 30.

The Nats pen is a bit older. Hanrahan might be a legit closer. He had several outstanding months. They have three candidates for the pen that are 25 and younger. My comparison is not to what the 99 team did, but as to what they started out as.

hmmm. if the Reds sign Taveras mebbe I'll become a Nats fan.

OnBaseMachine
12-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Good luck with that. ;)

That organization is a LONG way from contending for anything.

BTW the 1999 Reds finished with a 118 ERA+, the third best in the NL.

4256 Hits
12-24-2008, 04:28 PM

I am still waiting for the Reds to replace him with someone who will do the job better then he did. I have hope that Walt will be better but he hasn't done enough yet to prove it to me.

TRF
12-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Good luck with that. ;)

That organization is a LONG way from contending for anything.

BTW the 1999 Reds finished with a 118 ERA+, the third best in the NL.

I love underdogs.

BTW, you are comparing what the 99 team did with who they were when they started. On paper, that was an awful rotation. Greg Vaughn was Dunn-like. There were 5 OF's for three spots. Reese was an unproven 2B, casey was coming off that eye injury in '98. No one really knew what to expect from anyone not named Larkin.

Chip R
12-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I am still waiting for the Reds to replace him with someone who will do the job better then he did. I have hope that Walt will be better but he hasn't done enough yet to prove it to me.

By all means we should judge Walt on what he's done here over the past 8-9 months of being in charge.

KronoRed
12-24-2008, 04:35 PM
By all means we should judge Walt on what he's done here over the past 8-9 months of being in charge.

Worked for Wayne did it not? :cool:

4256 Hits
12-24-2008, 05:10 PM

We only have 8-9 month of Walt as Reds GM to judge him by. Based on what he did in STL I believe he will be a good GM for the Reds but he hasn't done enough yet (hasn't had enough time) to prove that he will be a good GM for the Reds. I am optimisit that he will be.

REDREAD
12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
And yet he put together that 99 team that rejuvenated my interest in baseball.

He HAD the ability. but after 2000 he turned into a parody of himself. He became enamored with the idea of acquiring the next KGJ. He didn't want to draft him, he wanted to steal him. I'll give him this though, his 2009 Nats are starting to remind me a lot of his 99 Reds. Not exactly, but he's pretty close.

He also built the 95 team.

Bowden has some skills in talent acquision. He generally wins most of his trades. Milleage and Dukes were picked up for practically nothing (for example).

After 2000, Allen + Lindner decided they were just going to pinch pennies and not try to win. They thought just running Jr out there every night (hurt or not) would sell a lot of tickets. No GM could've thrived under that situation, not even Beane.

Bowden inherited a huge mess in DC. He had to basically start from scratch.
I don't know if he'll ever turn it around, but he's made some good moves.

TRF
12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
He also built the 95 team.

Bowden has some skills in talent acquision. He generally wins most of his trades. Milleage and Dukes were picked up for practically nothing (for example).

After 2000, Allen + Lindner decided they were just going to pinch pennies and not try to win. They thought just running Jr out there every night (hurt or not) would sell a lot of tickets. No GM could've thrived under that situation, not even Beane.

Bowden inherited a huge mess in DC. He had to basically start from scratch.
I don't know if he'll ever turn it around, but he's made some good moves.

With the exception of Larkin, the '99 team was all Bowden. the '94-'95 teams he added parts to, but the core was already there.

RANDY IN INDY
12-30-2008, 03:45 PM
the '99 rotation had one guy make 30 starts (Harnisch) the rest of the rotation was Tomko, Neagle, Villone, Parris, Guzman (half a season), Avery and Bere. Parris had a career year, Harnisch was rescued from the scrap heap, as was just about everyone else. Tomko quit on the Reds. The bullpen was unheralded but outstanding. The top 5 in the pen were all under 30.

The Nats pen is a bit older. Hanrahan might be a legit closer. He had several outstanding months. They have three candidates for the pen that are 25 and younger. My comparison is not to what the 99 team did, but as to what they started out as.

Made your decision on joining Bowden and the Nats yet?