PDA

View Full Version : Shouldnt Bengals try to add a RB???

icehole3
12-26-2008, 07:07 AM
After round 2? I wouldnt be to upset if they took one in round 2 then get back to business taking care of the OL and the pass rush.

really cant see them doing to much of anything on offense in Free Agency, maybe grab a RB, C and TE which would be a lot considering we never ever do anything anyway.

RBs
Rhodes Indianapolis
Morris Seattle
Sproles SD
Ward NYG

TEs
Daniels Houston
King Carolina
Pope Arizona
Scaife Tennessee
Smith Philadelphia

Didnt realize Girlcheck was a UFA (see ya)

Centers
Grove Oak
Nalen Den
Saturday Indy
Newberry SD

really cant see them doing to much of anything on defense in Free Agency, maybe some dumpster dipping around the draft

here are some Running backs per Pro Football Weekly

James Davis Clemson
Javon Ringer Michigan State
Andre Brown North Carolina State
Devin Moore Wyoming
Rashad Jennings Liberty
Jeremiah Johnson Oregon
Javarris Williams Tennessee State
Kory Sheets Purdue
Arian Foster Tennessee
Aaron Brown TCU

plus the pic six of underclassmen

# Chris Wells, Ohio St. Jr.

# Knowshon Moreno, Georgia, So.

# LeSean McCoy, Pitt, So

# CJ Spiller, Clemson, Jr.

# Donald Brown Jr., Connecticut

# Shonn Greene Jr., Iowa

Wells and Moreno no chance but if McCoy, Brown or Greene comes out, will they be there in early round 2???

WVRed
12-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not opposed to drafting one later, depending on who is available, but even then, you need to keep in mind our success rate when it comes to running backs (Ki-Jana Carter, Chris Perry, Kenny Irons).

Cedric Benson is somebody I believe could contribute more if we had a better offensive line. Let's face it, even LT or Adrian Peterson couldn't put up similar numbers with what we are running out there.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals make a run at Jordan Gross during free agency instead of taking one in the first round. Gross could take over at Willie's spot, and Levi/Andrews/Collins could battle it out for the other tackle. Sign or draft a center.

If we could possibly land Taylor Mays in the first round, then take Brandon Spikes in the second, I would call it a successful draft.

Reds Freak
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
They do need to add a RB or two for depth purposes but they have so many other holes, it shouldn't be a priority. RBs are a dime a dozen. Fix the line and it doesn't matter who's running the football..

Redhook
12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
RBs are a dime a dozen. Fix the line and it doesn't matter who's running the football..

If only Mikey Boy knew that...

Bip Roberts
12-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes RB or bust

WMR
12-26-2008, 11:19 AM
If the Bengals draft RBs exclusively in rounds 1-7, there is a 5% chance that at least one of them won't have a career ending injury or be an outright bust before week 6.

Bip Roberts
12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Hopefully

NorrisHopper30
12-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm a believer that if a runningback can make it to the NFL, he will be able to get the job done IF there is a good enough offensive line. Draft lineman, on both sides of the ball - it makes EVERYONE else's job easier and can make average players look above average.

icehole3
12-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Cedric Benson is somebody I believe could contribute more if we had a better offensive line. Let's face it, even LT or Adrian Peterson couldn't put up similar numbers with what we are running out there.

I think Benson catches the first flight outta Cincy after the final snap sunday and you'll never see him in Cincy again.

On one of the Bengals Line shows he was on with Doc and Lapham asked him about loyalty and would he consider the Bengals next year and for about 5 seconds all you heard was crickets, I think he'll be harder to sign than TJ. Another Bengals Line Doc asked Lapham what he thought about the guys on the team and if they had the choice to stay in Cincy would they...more crickets, then Lapham busts out with this beauty... he goes, "To a man, I believe if everyone of these guys could leave they would in a heartbeat." I got the impression that the players think theyre in jail like Chad.

LoganBuck
12-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Marvin hinted a couple days ago on one of the Marvin Lewis Reports on WLW on how Cedric and him have bumped heads a few times, but then Benson would always apologize later. Maybe Cedric hasn't quite gotten over his attitude problems? He did wear on his teammates and coaches in Chicago. Some people are just like that. I like his play, but maybe the feeling is mutual. I don't get the feeling the media in town thinks that they should make a hard push to bring him back. I think it is, we are fine with you, we will be fine without you.

WMR
12-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Marvin hinted a couple days ago on one of the Marvin Lewis Reports on WLW on how Cedric and him have bumped heads a few times, but then Benson would always apologize later. Maybe Cedric hasn't quite gotten over his attitude problems? He did wear on his teammates and coaches in Chicago. Some people are just like that. I like his play, but maybe the feeling is mutual. I don't get the feeling the media in town thinks that they should make a hard push to bring him back. I think it is, we are fine with you, we will be fine without you.

"We suck with you, we'll suck without you."

:(

Newport Red
12-27-2008, 01:01 PM
"We suck with you, we'll suck without you."

:(

Well said.

TeamSelig
12-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd prefer we bolstered our lines instead of the flashy positions like RB/WR/etc. Guys like Benson could have a good year with great blocking IMO. Plus, protecting Carson Palmer has got to become a priority. And, with enough time, he will return to his great form as a top QB in the league.... which should in return, free up some space for our running game. Basically, getting a great offensive line will help many facets of our Bungled Bengirls.

cincyredsone
12-27-2008, 08:38 PM
what the bengals need more than anything is for mike brown to step down. hire someone who knows how to bulid a football team. mike brown has been running the begals since his father paul passed away. paul brown was one the greatest football men ever. his son mike however, (probably real nice man) doesn't have a clue. the bengals record under mike brown's leadership speaks for itself. how many more losing season's will it take? how many more head coaches will they hire and, fire? until mike brown realizes that he needs to step aside and, let someone who knows what they are doing run the bengals.......it doesn't matter what or, who they draft.

kaldaniels
12-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Does anyone else slowly see the classic career running back going the way of extinction. It seems now that you can just draft a guy in the late rounds, burn him out over 2 years, rinse and repeat.

Sure you'll have a diamond like Peterson or LT every few years, but overall...the "disposable" RB seems like the most viable route for RB, especially with the salary cap forcing maximization of every dollar.

WVRed
12-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Does anyone else slowly see the clasisic career running back going the way of extinction. It seems now that you can just draft a guy in the late rounds, burn him out over 2 years, rinse and repeat.

Sure you'll have a diamond like Peterson or LT every few years, but overall...the "disposable" RB seems like the most viable route for RB, especially with the salary cap forcing maximization of every dollar.

Exactly.

For every Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson, you have a Brian Westbrook(3rd round), Rudi Johnson(4th round), or Michael Turner(5th round).

I would like to see a runningback by committee approach. If done right, it can be very successful. It's not a fantasy owners dream, but if you look back to 2005, we were successful because of Rudi pounding the ball, then using Chris Perry (when healthy) as a pass catching threat on third downs.

remdog
12-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Does anyone else slowly see the classic career running back going the way of extinction. It seems now that you can just draft a guy in the late rounds, burn him out over 2 years, rinse and repeat.

Seems like Denver has been doing that for years.

Rem

kaldaniels
12-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Seems like Denver has been doing that for years.

Rem

Undoubtedly they set the model...but finally an increased amount of the league seems to be having sucess with it.

redsfandan
12-28-2008, 02:35 AM
They need to work on their offensive line & defense. Badly. So NO early or even mid picks should be used on offensive skill players. None. They already are in ok shape there and a decent offensive line & defense is more important to any football team anyway. Look at the Titans. Cincinnati has always had nice (or at least acceptable) offensive skill players but when is the last time they had both a strong offensive line and a tough defense too? Throughout their history more attention has been spent on the offensive skill players but when the other areas have been in good shape THAT'S when they've won more. If Benson doesn't return they can pick up another back with a late pick or one that is released by someone else but if the line can't open up holes consistently and protect the qb and the defense doesn't improve it won't matter anyway.

joshnky
12-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Watching some of these teams play, does anyone think the Bengals might take a chance on a back that is buried on another team? Oakland, Tennessee, and the Giants all have three quality running backs. Maybe the Bengals could pull one away with a late round pick?

icehole3
12-28-2008, 04:24 PM
If the off season plan is to hope for Benson to sign and thats it, we're looking at 4-12 again.

WVRed
12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
If the off season plan is to hope for Benson to sign and thats it, we're looking at 4-12 again.

If we upgrade the line and re-sign Benson, we're looking at a pro-bowl caliber back.

We need players in the trenches, not more skill players.

flyer85
12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
subtraction should be the first job at hand ... get rid of the losers, malcontents and me-first players. After that they can actually start to build something.

Hoosier Red
12-30-2008, 11:54 AM
That's an old argument flyer. Outside of Ocho Cinco, I'm struggling to think of who is now a "me-first" player. And Chad has pretty much shown himself to be the model to not follow. I don't think he's a divisive force in the locker room because IMO Marvin has ignored him to the point of irrelevance. It's a lot like what Coughlin did with Strahan and Tiki and Plaxico. Get what you can on the field marginalize their impact in the locker room.

In fact, whether Marvin is to be believed or not, he has said repeatedly how impressed he was with the group, how they kept coming to work and were willing to be coached up. I haven't really heard anyone say Boo about the effort and dedication of anyone on this year's team.

Now they just need more talent.

flyer85
12-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Now they just need more talent.

the real problem is still Mike Brown and the losing will continue(except for the occasional confluence of fortunate events).

As long as Brown is dumb enough to bring back Henry(after the coach said there is no way he comes back) and cut players like Willie Anderson, the team is going nowhere.

Winning football is more about character at the NFL level as the talent level differences are not very big. That is why Miami can go from 1-15 to 11-5 and Dallas with all that talent can swim with the turds when the chips are down.

Hybrid
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Attend to the issues on the line, and finding servicable running backs will be easy. Continue to draft RB's and neglect the line will not help at all.

Handofdeath
12-31-2008, 01:15 AM
Honestly, the Bengals would be smart to call Dallas. The Cowboys need to replace the draft picks they sent for Roy Williams. Dallas ain't sending Felix Jones but a mid round draft pick would probably net Tashard Choice who averaged 5.1 a carry. If the Bengals are really ambitious they could trade a 1st rounder and get Marion Barber.

forfreelin04
12-31-2008, 01:37 AM
I have a feeling Benson will ask for more than his britches and Brown will balk and draft a RB in the first round. Then build hype around a guy like Wells or Moreno to enduce ticket sales. The ever clueless fanbase (myself included) will then give in and buy even though the O Line is tired and the Defense is still shoddy. D needs a playmaker and the O line needs a FA end.

BTW, if Mikey hires EVEN a HAND PUPPET GM, I will watch every game. If something that unthinkable happens, I owe to myself to see every snap. 0-16 be darned!

Hoosier Red
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
So the Bengals went 4-11 because Chris Henry was on the team? Not sure if I buy that.

Again, give me the me first guys, and tell me how much influence you think they really have in the locker room.
Even without Willie, the Bengals have a good number of veterans who set the right tone and Marvin has gone out of his way to mention how hard the team is working. I think the character is fine. I think the team as constituted when fully healthy is probably a 7-9 team.

The difference is talent at the offensive and defensive lines. Right now, it just aint there. Add in injuries and the 2nd and 3rd strings which show a huge dropoff from the mediocre first string and you're going to lose double digit games.

The Dolphins went 11-5 because they won a great number of close games against a pretty weak schedule.

zakthemack
01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
If the Bengals select anything other than O Line and D Line guys in FA and Draft I won't sit through yet another season. (If I had a dollar for every time I said that over the last dozen years, and still watch)

morande
01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
A runningback might be the last thing we need to do in the draft. We need a offensive left tackle with our 6th pick in 1st round and we need to get a defensive end and another linebacker. Who knows what we do with TJ I would love to tag him, but if Carson's elbow needs surgery we our in a royal mess

zakthemack
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I think we need to face the very real possibility that we'll be without Ocho, Palmer, and TJ as some point. Seems to me all three of them want out of town. Chad has already asked to be traded, TJ doesn't want tagged, and Carson is left holding the bag.

Hybrid
01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure T.J. wants out. All he said was that he didn't want the Bengals to put the Franchise Tag on him, but he is willing discuss a new deal to keep him in Cincy.
I don't think any player likes the tag.